Author Topic: Airbnb?  (Read 5285 times)

StashthatCash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Airbnb?
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »
I read a recent article about a site called Airbnb.com.  It is a site that allows people to rent out their spare rooms or even entire houses to people that are traveling.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience on this from the tenant side?  I am looking for some cheap places to stay when I travel and this seems like an interesting concept.  Thanks!

boyerbt

• Bristles
Re: Airbnb?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:07 AM »
I used it last year when visiting San Francisco for a long weekend. The host was great about giving us all of the information we needed for his apartment. He was also very helpful with being our tour guide (albeit he was in another city) via text when I asked about local restaurants to check out. We stayed one block away from Chinatown and only paid $120 per night for an entire apartment.

Airbnb is a great service in my book and I am always looking to use it again when I can.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
I had an opportunity to extend a business trip in Rome and I used airbnb for the first time (Rome is super expensive in the summer).  As it turned out, the apartment got damaged by all the rain they had and the Owner sent me communication about 4 days before my flight to inform me of this, and to also inform me that he made alternate arrangements at a local hotel and would this be satisfactory?  I would have rather stayed in his apt, but was totally impressed with the fact that he didn't leave me hanging with no place to stay - I stayed at the hotel for the same price as the apt.  Best advice is to read the reviews - the key is communication and responsiveness of the Owner.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »
I've used AirBnB three times. All three were great experiences.

I once had an experience similar to MsSindy. There was a problem with the apartment I was going to stay at in NY. The owner made a reservation for a hotel in Midtown.

deragun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
My wife and I used airbnb to stay for 2 weeks in Mexico last year and had a GREAT experience with it ($50 per night which included a giant gourmet breakfast each day).  Completely agree with previous comments that reading the reviews and trying to gauge the responsiveness of the owner before finalizing booking are your best bet.

We are going to Japan in just a few weeks and will be staying most of the time in airbnb places.  Especially in expensive areas airbnb seems to be a very mustachian option.  You can easily spend 200-300 per night in most hotels in Kyoto/Tokyo.  We found what look like good options in both for 60/night and 80/night.

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
My friend rents out his basement using AirBnB. He's had nothing but good experiences with those who traveled through. Both sides get to vet each other, so I think it's relatively safe.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 10:07:33 AM »
Had good and bad experiences with this sort of site.    Used Airbnb once staying in NYC and it was great.  Cheap and convenient.

Tried to use VRBO once (similar site) and the owner cancelled at the last minute leaving me, wife and mother high and dry without a place to stay.  Got a full refund but still..

Caveat emptor.

surfhb

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
I'm staying in Seattle for 4 nights and it's costing me $130.    Spent 2 weeks in Germany and the total was $600 for 2 weeks for 2 people. 

My friend rents out her extra room at her place and has made $6000 so far this year

I'll never stay in a hotel again.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
I've been using Airbnb since 2010 and it's awesome. Definitely check the reviews -- I would never stay with anyone with 0 reviews. So far I've used it for places in Boulder, Denver, Salt Lake City, Paris, Los Angeles, and several places in New York City. Had a great experience each time -- much cheaper and better than a hotel!

I'm going here on vacation next month and I can't wait! We stayed at the other rental on this property and it's goooorgeous and the family who runs it is great:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1805842

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
I've used airbnb.com about 10 times and have had mostly great experiences. We've had some great hosts that gave us lots of information about the cities we were staying in. Plus the location is sometimes better than we would have been able to afford if we were trying to stay in a hotel. When we travel, my wife and I usually search airbnb first and only stay in professional lodging if we can't find anything else.

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
I've used it quite a few times and love it.  I've done houses, apartments, rooms, and couches.  It's also great if you just want to get away - look at their featured locations.  As with anything, read the comments and the owner info.  I personally never use the locations that have no comments.  I made a few friends too.  One actress in NYC sends me her play openings.  So yeah, it's a slice of life that a hotel can't match.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
My lady and I stayed in an Airbnb once, it was great. I notice that many of the cheaper places we browsed are not up anymore. I wonder if the local authorities are shutting them down because they don't have a license.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »
I've used airbnb a couple of times.  I've always had fine stays, but I know people who had less than good experiences.  In particular, it seems like NYC and SF now have a bunch of slumlords renting out tons of rooms in shoddy apartments.  So watch out for situations like that.  Ideally, you want your airbnb host to only be running a single unit.  Less likely to get crap that way.

ampersand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:49:40 AM »
I've not heard of Airbnb before but I might check it out. If you are interested in this sort of thing I might encourage you to look at couch surfing. When I look to visit a place I check out the local couch surfers, read their reviews/see if we have any mutual acquaintances/check what kind of sleeping accommodations they have. After finding someone interesting, I email them with my intended date to see if they are available. They look up my reviews, and shoot me a yes/no. No money changes hands though I always bring a gift/offer to cook a meal for them. I've always had good experiences with this but it's a little past some peoples sensibilities. I'd like to hear about your Airbnb experience goes if you try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »
I've used airbnb three times so far (in Pittsburgh, Bangkok, and Istanbul). Generally positive experiences, especially in Istanbul where the apartment we chose was being renovated so we got a big free upgrade.

In Bangkok, hotels are so cheap these days that I would have been better off with Priceline or Expedia, but my airbnb apartment did give me a sense of what housing is like for working class people there (i.e., not great).

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »
I have my parent's beach house on AirBnB and have also rented the lower story of my previous home when my roommates left.

It has been a great experience, while still short. Even locals who come through AirBnB are pretty respectful and organized and I loved giving them touristy tips. We also always managed to eat a meal together and chat, sharing experiences and getting to know each other.

Lovely.