Author Topic: Advice on (forced) upgrade to Quicken 2016; other options?  (Read 3785 times)

Melisande

• Bristles
Advice on (forced) upgrade to Quicken 2016; other options?
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »
We use Quicken to keep track of our account balances and pay bills on-line. The last time we upgraded was back in 2013. As every Quicken user knows, once 3 years pass you are forced to upgrade to the latest version if you still want the on-line banking option. Yes, of course, we have to pay for this, although that is not my major concern. I am mostly concerned about the huge amount of time I had to put in to make Quicken 2013 functional when we did the last upgrade. It was so bad, it was traumatic. I do not recall the whole ordeal in detail, but I do remember that it included spending 10 hours (no exaggeration) with customer service trying to figure out why Quicken now coughed and died when I tried to pay some bills. It turns out that the upgrade no longer supported apostrophes in names. Thus, we finally figured out that I had to order the check payable to Joes Lawn Service instead of Joe's Lawn Service.

Anyway, it is that time again. I have put off the upgrade as long as reasonable. Our on-line bill paying will be disabled as of April 30th.

So, I have a few questions. Has anyone here already upgraded to Quicken 2016? How painful was it? Any advice on making it go smoothly?

Also, does anyone have other suggestions for bill paying programs? A few years ago (when I was in the thick of the previous upgrade), I remember someone saying that most banks have a bill paying feature for free, or close to. Is this true?

It is true that Quicken has other functionality and that is one reason why my husband always thinks we should stick with it. But the fact is that we never use the other features. OK, Quicken supposedly shows us how our investments are doing, but the data is far from accurate (it doesn't seem to work with all the funds we have). There is a feature to track home equity and mortgage payments. We don't use this either. And then there is a budget feature. And guess what? We don't budget either. (I wouldn't say this on any other forum but Mr. Money Mustache, but we've never had a budget because we've never needed one, the problem has always been what to do with the cash that is accumulating in checking and savings, since we have a pretty swell income coupled with tastes that are far from extravagant).

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and doing the upgrade tonight. So any advice on this matter would be welcome.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Advice on (forced) upgrade to Quicken 2016; other options?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »
Good luck. I'm on the same version and right now my plan is to let online services lapse. The only feature I was using was online quotes for my investments. I'll just have to key in the current share prices manually. <gasp>

wtrfre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »
If you're just looking for the bill pay functionality, check with your bank!  I don't, and won't pay for online bill pay.  I have had free bill pay at both banks and credit unions.  It is easy and convenient. 

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
Did 2012 to 2015 a year ago.

Wasn't perfectly smooth.  It wouldn't sync with our credit union so we had to disable, then re-enable, online access to those accounts.  Took ~an hour to debug and do.  Other than that, no significant problems.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »
Both of my credit unions offer free online bill pay; I don't know how the functionality compares to what you're getting with Quicken.  Why don't you check around and see if you have any local credit unions that offer no-fee accounts and free online bill pay. You can set up an account with a small balance and try out the bill pay to see if it will work for you as a replacement for Quicken.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:15:50 PM »
I have 2015 so awhile before I'm forced. However, knowing that Quicken is being sold I explored other alternatives. Moneydance looked to be the best bet, but it's really not comparable to what Quicken can do (and looks like garbage).

My current strategy is to wait until 2018 and re-evaluate. I do wish Quicken would stop prompting me to upgrade though...

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
Well, the die is cast. I went for the 2016 upgrade, went through the whole installation procedure taking special care to do things like save the Quicken data file and remove the password for this same file. Soooo, I open my shiny, new Quicken 2016. It prompts me for my Intuit User ID and Password (which I'm sure of since I just changed it) and I get the message: "An error occurred. Please try to connect later." Well, I've attempt to connect "later" about 5 times now and I get the same message.

So, now it's on to support chat.

Would anyone like to place a bet on how many hours it will take to get this straightened out? It's already at least 1 hour.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »
I don't know if it'll do what you want or not (I think it's pretty sophisticated accounting software, but might be weak on third-party bill pay integration), but GNUCash is worth investigating. As a bonus, it's Free Software (in the collaborative hippie hacker sense, like Firefox, LiberOffice, Linux, etc.) which means that not only will it be zero cost, you'll also never have to deal with forced upgrade bullshit if you don't want to.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »
OK. Thanks all! I'm going to have to look into these other options at some point.

That said, the Quicken CS person directed me to the appropriate patch (called the "Mondo" patch since it is so huge) and the dust seems to have settled for the time being.

But one thing I can't understand is why the patch can't be integrated in the current version or why, at the very least, they can't integrate the separate downloading of the patch into the installation process. As far as I can tell, this is their process: 1) Have the customer attempt to upgrade to Quicken 16; 2) costumer encounters error when attempting to login; 3) customer contacts Quicken CS and wait on their queue for 5-10+ minutes and "chats" with someone who tells them about the patch. Doesn't seem very efficient, but then again it's not like I'm on Quicken's payroll, so they don't care how much of my time they waste.

[/rant]

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 07:35:05 AM »
Why do you need a third party software package to pay your bills (assuming personal bills and as part of a business)? Can't you just pay through online banking through your bank?

Alternatively, could you set the bills to autopay from the credit card or have the biller direct debit the amount from your bank account?

I suppose it's slightly less archaic than writing checks :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!