Author Topic: Need Some Advice  (Read 5976 times)

imaprogrammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need Some Advice
« on: September 20, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
I started riding my bike to work a couple of weeks ago. I was doing this for about two weeks, but these are the things holding me back.

• Everyone looks at me weird when I ride into the parking lot
  • My boss offers to drive me home in his truck every time he sees me on my bike
  • I don't have a good place to change, we only have a couple of tiny bathroom stalls, and I'm a big guy 6' 2" and 250 pounds.
  • I fell pretty gross throughout the day because I work up quite a sweat.

I love the physical benefits of riding my bike everyday. I used work construction, but since then I have gained a lot of weight with my office job, so I really need the exercise.

Any advice?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Need Some Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 08:15:51 PM »
Well, for the social pressure you can just say your doctor has ordered you to get more exercise. Tell them it was this or a gym membership.  Helps if someone you know has recently had a heart attack. That's a wake-up call most people respect.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »
How about you invite your boss to ride with you? Lulz

imaprogrammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:35:57 PM »
How about you invite your boss to ride with you? Lulz

Haha. I just get this weird vibe that riding a bike to work is not cool.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:21 AM »
Yeah, but working until 65-70 is not cool either, and I have a feeling you'll be out of there long before the rest of your office is!

Put a secretive smile on your face and think of how much healthier you are and how much fatter your wallet is every time you coast past all their cars in the parking lot.  Nice work!

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
Is there a place near work you could change/freshen up, so you don't arrive sweaty? Any big store like a Lowes/Home Depot/whatever would have to have a handicapped bathroom stall. You could buy those wipes (or make your own with a damp paper towel) and just wipe your face/pits/etc.

Then you can sort of casually coast in all clean/refreshed.

But I agree with the other posters: you know why  you do this, and that should be sufficient.

And telling them you want to get back to your "fighting weight" might also help to curb comments!

StashthatCash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »
I typically get the same looks when I ride in to work.  I haven't yet came up with a good way to not get those weird looks but I just laugh in my head at them when they are driving in their financed BMW's and Mercedes to work.

I also do have the same problem with not feeling very fresh after riding into work so I would like to hear if anyone has any suggestions for that. 

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
People might bug you with stupid questions less often if you smell like you just biked the Tour de France. Just ignore them and focus on the positive aspects.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »
Sounds like you need to get a nice f- you attitude while you're building up your f- you money! Seriously though, people pretty much only care if it seems like *you* have some hesitations about it. I agree with previous posters- deflecting with humor, and then if pressed, a candid statement about your health- is very effective.

I don't think anyone has scoffed at a statement like "I want to be sure I'm alive when my kid graduates high school".

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
At my last job mine was the only bike on the rack when I first started.  When I left 2 years later it was one of 3 or 4.  Still a very small percentage, but some people just need someone to go first to find out if they die (socially or physically).  Even if no one joined me, fuck em.  They have nothing to do with my decisions, and I wouldn't care if it was looked down upon.  That's their problem.

I haven't had to do it as part of my daily commute, but when camping a wipe-down of the sweaty areas w/ a baby wipe can make a big difference.  You'll need to wait until you're cooled off and done sweating, or you'll just re-stinkify yourself again.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
My first job out of college was 2 miles from my house, so I rode my bike. At the interview I asked HR where I could put my bike, she says "we give you a parking space, you don't need to ride your bike". Had to figure out where the service elevator was and find an empty cubicle to park it in.

From experience biking to work in sweaty Florida... dry shampoo for your hair (it's like baby powder, they have brown and blonde versions), keep deodorant and baby wipes at your desk and give yourself a good wipe-down before work. Keep a change of clothes at work in case you get rained on.

Many coworkers changed outside of the bathroom stalls, by the sinks, out in the open at my last job. It depends on your personal comfort level. You could also try to track down an empty conference room / private office / storage closet to change in, or maybe look for the nursing mothers pumping room and see if it's open. Or if you have a restaurant/cafe next to your work like a Subway, pop into their ADA bathroom to change and buy a coffee for good manners, you might make a new friend with the morning crew :)

cerberusss

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 01:41:44 PM »
I used to come in early and go to the women's toilet. I worked in electronics so there weren't a whole lot of women, to put it mildly. I'd then take dry clothes and a wash cloth, and wash at the sink. An hour earlier than the rest, I'd start fresh.

imaprogrammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Sounds like you need to get a nice f- you attitude while you're building up your f- you money! Seriously though, people pretty much only care if it seems like *you* have some hesitations about it. I agree with previous posters- deflecting with humor, and then if pressed, a candid statement about your health- is very effective.

I don't think anyone has scoffed at a statement like "I want to be sure I'm alive when my kid graduates high school".

Yeah I guess it's all in my head. I just need to tell them to "shove it."

I work with so many financially inept people, its not even funny. I overhead two of my co-workers talking about how another co-worker was "too frugal." The guy talking also financed a brand new car, just got out of college, and makes about half of what I make. I just don't understand.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Looks at you funny - so what, in 10 -15 years you can laugh your way out the door.  Normal is 40 years in a cube, the whole point is to not be normal

Too sweaty - this is the main reason I got an ebike.  Lessens the load on me just enough to not sweat, turn motor off on the way home.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »

Yeah I guess it's all in my head. I just need to tell them to "shove it."

I work with so many financially inept people, its not even funny. I overhead two of my co-workers talking about how another co-worker was "too frugal." The guy talking also financed a brand new car, just got out of college, and makes about half of what I make. I just don't understand.

This post actually helped me a lot to reframe the "being judged" feeling. http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/02/23/11-ways-to-be-a-frugal-weirdo-love-it/

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 10:07:27 PM »
Ebike is an option for the sweatiness angle. Biking itself might help with the being too big to change in a stall.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 08:08:18 AM »
This post actually helped me a lot to reframe the "being judged" feeling. http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/02/23/11-ways-to-be-a-frugal-weirdo-love-it/

That article is great! I work with 10+ women on my team who always have perfect manicures and $100+ earrings on the daily, and it's been hard trying to 'keep up appearances', so to speak. I've even entertained buying fake jewelry of this celebrated brand just to pass under the radar. BUT I didn't do it!!! Because when I try to spend money on fitting in, my gut wrenches and asks me 'are you really about to throw money away on your COWORKERS' perception of your style?'. I've decided my coworkers can like me for what I do and say, or not. I accept their life choices and they should accept mine.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
I bike now, and before that I walked to work. I've gotten the typical "you're crazy", "want a ride home", etc comments. My usual responses are along the lines of:
  • I like to get some time outside, otherwise I'm indoors all day long
  • I need the exercise
  • I can't stand sitting in traffic, and this is actually faster because I can avoid traffic more easily
  • I spend all day sitting at a desk - the walk/bike helps my back
  • (jokingly) Because I'm not a wuss that requires climate control 100% of the time

All of which are true, so that helps the delivery. By the time I get done with that I find most people are envious. Well, maybe a little bit incredulous when it's snowing or below freezing, but usually in the same way people think marathon runners are crazy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!