Author Topic: 4th of July travel suggestions  (Read 4700 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
4th of July travel suggestions
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »
So this is totally late.

I just found out that we are getting half day on Friday June 30th and Monday July 3rd off.  So now instead of having regular weekend and Tuesday off for July 4th, I will have 4.5 day weekend.

I haven't had any plans since I didn't think I was going to be able to do anything or go anywhere.  But now, I don't want to be stuck at home for 4.5 days doing nothing.

A quick check just told me that it's too late to find a reasonably priced car rental for that weekend and I don't want to sit in NY City.  Car rental's start at $120/day plus I'll need insurance, so another $15/day. 

Where can I go that would not cost me $1000 for the weekend for transportation and lodging? 
I don't have a car and I don't camp.  For lodging I'll need some sort of room with shower.  Doesn't need to be fancy, but it has to be a real bed and shower/toilet/running water. 

I'm really upset that company did not tell us ahead of time that we will be getting Monday off.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 4th of July travel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
They say the Pennsylvania Dutch country is nice in summer. Some of the country inns have quaint touches, like separate faucets for hot and cold water in the bathroom sink.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »
They say the Pennsylvania Dutch country is nice in summer. Some of the country inns have quaint touches, like separate faucets for hot and cold water in the bathroom sink.

That's not an area I can get to and explore without a car though. I"ll need to look into it to make sure.

Righty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
Going to be hard with no car but less than $1K. A few quick thoughts I had on beach oriented trips:

Option #1 - (cheapest option) Sniff out an empty bed at a friend's shared rental in the Hamptons - take the Jitney

Option #2 - (my preference) Metro North to Shoreline East - New London ferry to BI - price will be a concern so maybe just stay one night

Option #3 - (most inconvenient) Amtrak to Kingston in RI then bus or cab to Narragansett/Newport

Option #4 - (last resort) you can get to Point Pleasant in NJ on NJ Transit, and do whatever people do in New Jersey

47%MMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
Option #4 - (last resort) you can get to Point Pleasant in NJ on NJ Transit, and do whatever people do in New Jersey

I recently relocated to Jersey for work so I'm following this thread now in hopes of receiving an answer to #4.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
Since you live in a city that many people come to for vacation, maybe play tourist at home. I know that everywhere I have ever lived, there have been activities and places that I never got around to seeing. New York must be full of great and inexpensive activities that, as a resident working a full-time job, you don't normally get around to. Check out a new neighborhood, visit new parks or museums or restaurants, take a walking tour, attend a concert (might be some free ones in parks over the holiday weekend.) I'll bet you could find plenty of fun stuff to do over your long weekend.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »
Adirondacks?

You don't have to rent a car in the city, right?  You could take Amtrak or train to a different city, and rent a car there.

You can rent a car in Schenectady for $55-60 a day.  Take Amtrak there, rent a car, drive to the Adirondacks?

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
Adirondacks?

You don't have to rent a car in the city, right?  You could take Amtrak or train to a different city, and rent a car there.

You can rent a car in Schenectady for $55-60 a day.  Take Amtrak there, rent a car, drive to the Adirondacks?

Ohh!  I think you may have hit just the right spot!

Any suggestions on where to look for lodging? 
I'd be interested in easy to moderate hikes/trails, would love to take a dip in the lake somewhere.

I also can't stand the lake george village; too commercial and overpriced. Is Glens Falls a good place to stay or is it too far south?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:58:51 PM by FiguringItOut »

Righty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
If you're looking to head north - be sure to check out the Adirondack train line that Amtrak has - it's a pretty cool trip. Leaves Penn station, and after many stops along the way, ends up in Montreal.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
If you're looking to head north - be sure to check out the Adirondack train line that Amtrak has - it's a pretty cool trip. Leaves Penn station, and after many stops along the way, ends up in Montreal.

Yes, mm1970 suggested Adirondack and I think that's the right place.
Any suggestions on where to stay there?

I think I will most likely end up renting a car though.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
You could try to go to Boston, Washington D.C./Alexandria/Arlington, or Philly by train.  All of them would probably cost more than $1000 all in, though.
Since you live in a city that many people come to for vacation, maybe play tourist at home. I know that everywhere I have ever lived, there have been activities and places that I never got around to seeing. New York must be full of great and inexpensive activities that, as a resident working a full-time job, you don't normally get around to. Check out a new neighborhood, visit new parks or museums or restaurants, take a walking tour, attend a concert (might be some free ones in parks over the holiday weekend.) I'll bet you could find plenty of fun stuff to do over your long weekend.

Thanks but no.  I do not want to stay in NYC or any other CITY for that matter.  I am sick of the city, buildings, noise, etc.  I need nature.

Going to be hard with no car but less than $1K. A few quick thoughts I had on beach oriented trips:

Option #1 - (cheapest option) Sniff out an empty bed at a friend's shared rental in the Hamptons - take the Jitney

Option #2 - (my preference) Metro North to Shoreline East - New London ferry to BI - price will be a concern so maybe just stay one night

Option #3 - (most inconvenient) Amtrak to Kingston in RI then bus or cab to Narragansett/Newport

Thank you, but I like suggestion of Adirondack by mm1970 the best.

Righty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »
In the ADKs my favorite places are Lake Saranac and Lake Placid - both are pretty expensive however.

Also went a few times in the Inlet/Old Forge area and seemed like that part would be more affordable.

Further south and much closer to the city are the Catskill Mountains - lots of cool/funky towns and hiking/flyfishing too (look up places like Roscoe and Livingston Manor, NY)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
In the ADKs my favorite places are Lake Saranac and Lake Placid - both are pretty expensive however.

Also went a few times in the Inlet/Old Forge area and seemed like that part would be more affordable.

Further south and much closer to the city are the Catskill Mountains - lots of cool/funky towns and hiking/flyfishing too (look up places like Roscoe and Livingston Manor, NY)

Thank you, this is very helpful

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »
Last minute travel during major holiday's is grounds for a facepunch.  Everything is crowded, overpriced, and takes twice as long to get to.

You live in a city where everyone else wants to visit take advantage of it.  My family and I stay home during the major holidays and vacation during off season to avoid crowds and jacked up prices.  Things we do around town are trips to the library, museums, parks, beaches, and walking trails.  All are close to free and almost always empty because everyone is out of town.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
Last minute travel during major holiday's is grounds for a facepunch.  Everything is crowded, overpriced, and takes twice as long to get to.

You live in a city where everyone else wants to visit take advantage of it.  My family and I stay home during the major holidays and vacation during off season to avoid crowds and jacked up prices.  Things we do around town are trips to the library, museums, parks, beaches, and walking trails.  All are close to free and almost always empty because everyone is out of town.

Thank you, but I am sick and tired of the city, I don't like the City, I am not able to travel during off season, and I just spend Memorial Day weekend home.  I really need to get out of the City and get some nature.  And yes, I realize this will cost me about $800 for 4 days, but my sanity is more important than money and I can afford it.

I just booked a car rental and Airbnb near Lake George in Chestertown.  I am now all excited and looking forward to some hikes and swimming in the lake, and being outside of the concrete jungle.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
Sounds like you Figured it Out! Go you! Hope you have a great weekend, kinda frugal and away from the city. Sounds nice.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »

Thank you, but I am sick and tired of the city, I don't like the City, I am not able to travel during off season, and I just spend Memorial Day weekend home.  I really need to get out of the City and get some nature.  And yes, I realize this will cost me about $800 for 4 days, but my sanity is more important than money and I can afford it.

I just booked a car rental and Airbnb near Lake George in Chestertown.  I am now all excited and looking forward to some hikes and swimming in the lake, and being outside of the concrete jungle.
Sounds awesome!  My hubby grew up going to Lake George occasionally with friends who had a cabin/ camp there.  I've never been (we just spend the week going to his family's cabin on a small man-made lake.)  My FIL has hiked all of the Adirondacks - he's a 46-er.  I guess there are 46 peaks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!