Author Topic: 401k/IRA vs. Other Investing  (Read 1667 times)

ServantKelvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
401k/IRA vs. Other Investing
« on: July 01, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »
I am saving and investing like crazy into my work's 401k and Roth IRA to prepare me for retirement, but if I want to retire early then I don't think that I can take my 4% out until I'm old (I'm 24 right now).

Should I start a separate investment with Vanguard where I can have more access to the money? Or should I focus on fully paying off the mortgage on my house? I'd love to hear any and all of the mustachian's advice. :)

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: 401k/IRA vs. Other Investing
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
The idea that you can't touch your retirement accounts until you're old is a myth.

Read https://seattlecyclone.com/accessing-your-retirement-accounts-early-yes-you-can/ and http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/how-to-withdraw-funds-from-your-ira-and-401k-without-penalty-before-age-59-5/ for more information, then ask if you still have any questions.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »
Multiple baskets to throw in your eggs is something I would suggest. 

What is your interest rate on your mortgage? Would you sleep better at night not having a mortgage?  Some people don't mind paying 3-4% to use the money elsewhere.

I would open up an additional account but remember in your additional account you will be taxed on the income and then on the outcome.

$100 from paycheck.
$70 to invest
Stock goes up? sell
Pay capital gains tax.

Max out the tax sheltered ones first.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »
I am saving and investing like crazy into my work's 401k and Roth IRA to prepare me for retirement, but if I want to retire early then I don't think that I can take my 4% out until I'm old (I'm 24 right now).

Should I start a separate investment with Vanguard where I can have more access to the money? Or should I focus on fully paying off the mortgage on my house? I'd love to hear any and all of the mustachian's advice. :)
seattle cyclone already tackled your assumption that you cannot access money in retirement accounts.  I'll address the second question

Yes - its a good idea to have a regular investment account (with Vanguard or any of the brokerages that provide low-cost funds). Broadly speaking you should always make sure you are maxing out your tax-advantaged accounts, but there can be exceptions, like if you want/need to save up for a large purchase and you don't make enough income to fully max out your 401(k) + IRA + HSA (if you have one).

Should you pay down your mortgage first?  Well that's always a hot topic around here. My 2¢ - if your mortgage rate is under 4% its in your interest to hold it as long as you can and simply investing everything you can.  Having a mortgage can be a great inflation hedge, having a large percentage of your net worth tied up in your home is generally a very bad idea, and historically stocks outpace the 3-4% current mortgage rates over 15-30 year periods by a very large margin.
But for some people there's a psycological issue; some people just are less stressed not having a mortgage (though you will still have the "T+I" - those never go away).  Personally, I sleep better knowing I have more in investments.  To each their own.
Choose what makes sense for you and makes you the most comfortable.

If you want to read the back-and-forth arguments go here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/paying-off-mortgage-early-how-bad-is-it-for-your-fi-date/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!