Author Topic: 25% of my income goes to taxes  (Read 72447 times)

YeahNo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 25% of my income goes to taxes
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
Yup, great questions guys! It was hit on above but:

S-Corp's are pass through

Inventory is a CoGS so doesn't "expense" itself until the product is sold. This means that if you want to beef up your inventory by say 500k, this does not reduce your tax bill and at the same time it takes away cash that you need to pay your tax bill.

I've had a CPA for years and consider myself well versed in small business accounting. Its actually quite fun stuff!

smiller088

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 25% of my income goes to taxes
« Reply #251 on: January 01, 2015, 10:58:14 PM »
I can't even fathom how nice that would be. Right now I'm on a high deductible plan, which means I pay out of pocket until a certain amount. I don't want to pay full price for an office visit, so it really discourages me from going to the doctor. My fiance and son were in a bad car accident last March and their hospital bills totaled almost $60,000- and neither of them even stayed the night in the hospital. We are still paying off our son's birth (medical bills don't have interest, so there's that at least). We might get them paid off by the time we're ready for number 2. Thankfully we have insurance, but seriously, most people cannot afford $60,000 in medical bills. Our system sucks.

I would glady live in a country with a high tax rate if I had access to free higher education and socialized medicine. Yeah, I might be in the minority here with my liberal beliefs.

I honestly think that those who haven't lived where the healthcare is free (i.e. included in taxes) can't even imagine it.

Here in the UK at least, I go to the doctor. I don't fill out any forms (unless medical related, obviously). I don't pay anything. I get treated. I leave.

If i need some sort of blood test or a scan or something, the doctor writes me a letter and I get an appointment at a hospital (or wherever). I go in. I don't fill out any forms. I don't pay anything. I get treated. I leave.

I had glandular fever last year. As a result I had some extremely low blood cell counts and the doctors got worried so I went to the haemotology department at hospital and saw the head consultant. Again... I went in. I didn't fill out any forms. I didn't pay anything. I got treated. I left. I did that three times, until they were happy that my blood had recovered.

I've already mentioned that the birth of our child cost us exactly zero.

I'd need a LOT of convincing that the US/insurance system is in any way superior to that. I can see that we theoretically pay more tax but in reality I doubt very much that it covers the what Americans need to pay in insurance. The whole system in the US seems deliberately expensive.