Author Topic: 23/24 Ski Season (and other dumb outdoor winter recreational pursuits)  (Read 6333 times)

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 23/24 Ski Season (and other dumb outdoor winter recreational pursuits)
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2024, 01:46:25 PM »
Next season's passes to my local mountain are supposed to go on sale next week.  I am expecting to pay $1,667 to get passes for the 5 of us.
Though we could buy the kids passes and then get up to 32 (total) Sunday half day tickets for the same amount. And it would be pretty significant for us to get in 16 ski days each.

Though what I really want to do is quit my full time job and be a ski instructor.  Which would get us the passes as a perk.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2024, 03:55:05 PM »
Next season's passes to my local mountain are supposed to go on sale next week.  I am expecting to pay $1,667 to get passes for the 5 of us.
Though we could buy the kids passes and then get up to 32 (total) Sunday half day tickets for the same amount. And it would be pretty significant for us to get in 16 ski days each.

Though what I really want to do is quit my full time job and be a ski instructor.  Which would get us the passes as a perk.
I've got some friends who've done it part time and enjoyed it. There is often a requirement for a certain number of shifts to get the discount pass though.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2024, 04:17:22 PM »
Crystal was good on Sunday @Telecaster. Let me know if you want a mustachian midweek ski partner sometime. I'm only 35 min from Snoq pass or 1.5 hrs from Crystal.

I'd love it!  I'm out of commission for about a week and half but after that if there is still skiing I'm in. 

Indy Pass is opening sales to the general public tomorrow, FYI

Ikon pass is going on sale March 14.   Crystal Mountain is going to be unlimited this year.   

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2024, 04:34:18 AM »

I've got some friends who've done it part time and enjoyed it. There is often a requirement for a certain number of shifts to get the discount pass though.

My first lesson in saving money included me taking a weekend job as a ski instructor at the mountain I had already bought a pass to. I had to work 40 hours before they refunded my pass purchase. But it got me $1,000 that I was as able to save.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2024, 04:34:17 PM »
Well... I've been a complete ski bum the last week or so :) Conditions have been great, no big storms, but consistently getting a few inches at a time. We are now above average for the year, should make for some good spring skiing. Who's ready for corn snow?!

In other news, I spend a couple of days demoing two skis: The Salomon QST 106 and QST Blank. Both great skis. If I were frequently skiing bottomless powder in wide open bowls the Blank would win hands down. Love the float on powder, got snowboarding feels. But man, it's alotta ski. Carves okay for its width (112), but heavy and a handful in quick turns. The 106 makes a lot more sense for my application, feels great in powder but still nimble in the bumps/trees. Surprisingly good carver for how slarvy it is. I could see it becoming my daily driver for all but the firmest days.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2024, 05:25:29 PM »
I just bought a set of QST 92s.   Got an amazing deal from the local shop.   I haven’t been on them yet.   Maybe Friday if things align.   

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2024, 05:40:19 PM »
I was up snowboarding Monday and today. Monday was storming with lots of fresh snow. Today was blue bird skies and great groomer carving on the menu. I bought my seasons pass for next year. We've got 3.5 weeks left this season so I am just knocking off as many more days as I can.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2024, 09:16:15 PM »
I just bought a set of QST 92s.   Got an amazing deal from the local shop.   I haven’t been on them yet.   Maybe Friday if things align.

'Tis the season for ski deals. The 92 looks like a great narrow off-piste ski.

One of the... uh... bad things about demoing new skis is realizing just how dead my current skis feel in comparison. They didn't always feel this way. Like all skis they slowly lost their energy. I get in around 40 days per year, typically 20k vertical feet/day. Just finishing my fourth season on these (one ski quiver) so that's more than 3 million vertical feet. So yeah, this might be why they don't have the pop they once did. I've also noticed they don't carve as well, which could be from loss of camber. Thinking I'll get the QST 106 for powder and chopped up leftovers, and then add a ~90mm all mountain carver for firm days.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2024, 09:29:38 PM »
Ski/snowboards, boots, bindings all wear out. Skis/board and boots can look fine and actually be terrible when you are using them.

I try and buy my snowboard gear in the offseason. The deals just get better and better between now and the fall, but stock of 2023/24 clearance gear drops as it gets sold. So you have to decide how long you are willing to wait for the next price drop without missing out on whatever you are aiming to buy.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2024, 03:53:33 AM »
I just got next seasons passes for the family. $1,700 for four of us (the fifth still skis free but he gets a pass too).

I picked mine up and skied yesterday. Our season got a boost this past weekend and there was cover on the blacks.

I realized my skis (163/88) can’t handle big turns in firm snow, so I stuck to the edges and the bumps.

I once had Line prophet 100s in 177 length. That was when I was the best skier I’ll ever be. This thought sent me on a search for a contemporary equivalent and I think I now want the Whitedot Carbonlite R.98 in 176. On sale for $674. I have never paid that much for just planks.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2024, 07:11:57 PM »
My QST 92s are my daily drivers. Such great skis.
 I'll be up at central on Friday afternoon if you want to grab a couple of laps.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2024, 07:26:19 PM »
'Tis the season for ski deals. The 92 looks like a great narrow off-piste ski.

One of the... uh... bad things about demoing new skis is realizing just how dead my current skis feel in comparison. They didn't always feel this way. Like all skis they slowly lost their energy. I get in around 40 days per year, typically 20k vertical feet/day. Just finishing my fourth season on these (one ski quiver) so that's more than 3 million vertical feet. So yeah, this might be why they don't have the pop they once did. I've also noticed they don't carve as well, which could be from loss of camber. Thinking I'll get the QST 106 for powder and chopped up leftovers, and then add a ~90mm all mountain carver for firm days.

Three million is a lot of vertical, I don't care how you slice it.   Kind of envious. 

My old skis are/were Volkl AC 3, which are 78 mm, and were considered a mid-fat at the time.   Now they are impossibly skinny.   Great ski!  Edges like a mo'fo',  stable at high speed, easy to turn.   The thing that prompted my ski purchase was my boots were shot and my bindings were way out of indemnification.   So new boots and bindings, but no new bindings fit my current skis, so I needed new skis...I really hate the industry in that aspect.  I'd like to keep my old skis for rock skies or something, but I guess they go to the landfill. 

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2024, 08:24:44 PM »
Three million is a lot of vertical, I don't care how you slice it.   Kind of envious. 

My old skis are/were Volkl AC 3, which are 78 mm, and were considered a mid-fat at the time.   Now they are impossibly skinny.   Great ski!  Edges like a mo'fo',  stable at high speed, easy to turn.   The thing that prompted my ski purchase was my boots were shot and my bindings were way out of indemnification.   So new boots and bindings, but no new bindings fit my current skis, so I needed new skis...I really hate the industry in that aspect.  I'd like to keep my old skis for rock skies or something, but I guess they go to the landfill.

Being FIRE and 30 minutes from the resort makes it easy. And this includes a couple of seasons going through cancer, major surgery to remove most of my liver (with enough recovery time to safely ski), and being on chemo last season. Then another somewhat major patch-up surgery in Dec. The doctors were surprised (in a good way) that I'm on the slopes at all, and they've encouraged me to stay active.

I'm an athletic 6'6" 240#, so likely harder on my equipment than most. I guess the good thing about semi-retiring my current pair after just 4 seasons is the ability to use them as rock skis.

Ski industry trends are funny. For a while it was ridiculously fat skis, then who can make the heaviest crud buster. At some point I expect skinny will make a comeback. It's like keeping clothes long enough that they come back in style. I do think a well rounded 95mm all mountain ski is fantastic out west in most situations. I progressed a lot on my Ripsticks and have loved their quickness and flickability, yet by testing other skis realize I've progressed to a point where something a bit heavier and damp works better for me now. Not quite two-sheets-of-metal damp, especially for trees/bumps/off-piste. Feels like the QST line does a pretty decent job of being damp enough without loosing too much agility.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 08:32:25 PM by FINate »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2024, 04:10:07 AM »

Being FIRE and 30 minutes from the resort makes it easy. And this includes a couple of seasons going through cancer, major surgery to remove most of my liver (with enough recovery time to safely ski), and being on chemo last season. Then another somewhat major patch-up surgery in Dec. The doctors were surprised (in a good way) that I'm on the slopes at all, and they've encouraged me to stay active.

I'm an athletic 6'6" 240#, so likely harder on my equipment than most. I guess the good thing about semi-retiring my current pair after just 4 seasons is the ability to use them as rock skis.

Ski industry trends are funny. For a while it was ridiculously fat skis, then who can make the heaviest crud buster. At some point I expect skinny will make a comeback. It's like keeping clothes long enough that they come back in style. I do think a well rounded 95mm all mountain ski is fantastic out west in most situations. I progressed a lot on my Ripsticks and have loved their quickness and flickability, yet by testing other skis realize I've progressed to a point where something a bit heavier and damp works better for me now. Not quite two-sheets-of-metal damp, especially for trees/bumps/off-piste. Feels like the QST line does a pretty decent job of being damp enough without loosing too much agility.

Sounds like you and I aren’t far apart in terms of build.  I’m also experiencing the industry shifts in ski design - last great pair of sticks I bought were Rossi’s 82 titano avenger - 182cm (not the more bendy basalt version). Heavy stiff ski that I loved, but now are delaminating after 8 seasons of pretty heavy use (probably ~200 days of skiing). The skis were the widest I considered but now they seem skinny compared to most all mountain offerings.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2024, 05:11:37 AM »
Be happy you never hitched your wagon to the nordic norm 75mm standard. 

https://www.powder.com/gear-locker/a-telemark-crossroads

We're all hoarding that shit like insane preppers stocking MREs. 

At least there's still tons of it for sale cheap on ebay. 

P.S. My ski season was an absolute bust. Worst (least amount of snow) winter in the ~30 years I've lived here. Never even got to use one of my season passes. The hill was only open for like one weekend. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2024, 06:28:51 AM »

P.S. My ski season was an absolute bust. Worst (least amount of snow) winter in the ~30 years I've lived here. Never even got to use one of my season passes. The hill was only open for like one weekend.

Where are you located?  We've had a very substandard winter here in Maine -- for most of the winter you had to travel several hours to the white mountains (NH/VT) or Quebec for decent runs. That just couldn't happen this year with our young daughter.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2024, 07:16:49 AM »
Way northern Michigan (the Keweenaw). 

It's apparently bad enough we've declared it a disaster. 

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2024/03/disaster-aid-available-to-michigan-businesses-struggling-with-warm-winter.html

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2024, 12:54:56 PM »
Welp, I did it. Pulled the trigger on buying the QST 106. REI happened to have the size I was looking for on sale. With the discount + REI dividend + CC rewards my cost was $30. Need to add bindings, but still not bad.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2024, 08:46:46 PM »
Head a great session ripping it up with @Glenstache on Friday!   Classic spring bluebird day.   Snow was soft-ish but in a forgiving, good way.   We did a bunch of laps until my legs turned into Jello-O and I had to call it day.  Got a good test of the QST 92s (I liked them!).  Fun times. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2024, 04:43:36 PM »
Head a great session ripping it up with @Glenstache on Friday!   Classic spring bluebird day.   Snow was soft-ish but in a forgiving, good way.   We did a bunch of laps until my legs turned into Jello-O and I had to call it day.  Got a good test of the QST 92s (I liked them!).  Fun times.
Indeed! Currently working g in day 3 in a row. Started the day with a helping of bluebird fresh corduroy

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2024, 06:19:18 PM »
I got up to the ski hill Monday and today. The snow is melting fast. It's mashed potatoes everywhere. As long as the rocks are not poking through that's fine, but not sure how much longer we've got.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2024, 08:22:48 PM »
My QST 106s arrived this week. Got 40% off bindings at a local ski shop, so happy about that.

Went out with the family today for some slushy spring conditions. I love these skis. Powerful enough to push through soft bumps at speed, but still very playful and easy to release the tail. Easy to pivot and slash off-piste. More snow in the forecast this week, looking forward to getting better acquainted in the days ahead.

Our local resort is having a demo day this Saturday so I'm going to try several ~90mm skis. Pretty sure I'll mostly be on the 106, but interested in a front side carver for the firmest snow days.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2024, 12:30:35 PM »
I skied today with DW.  Everyone was saying conditions were good and the weather was beautiful.  We skied three hours, got so soft bumps, skied the trees and hit some fast groomers.  A good ski day and looking at a storm day with the kids tomorrow and then hoping for blue bird on Sunday with the kids.  So far their season has been 50% skiing in the rain. So I have high hopes for a good experience skiing in fresh snow.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2024, 05:14:06 PM »
I realize this thread is about winter recreation and it's now spring... But spring is a magical season in Boise -- the snow is soft and the mountain biking trails are tacky. We keep getting system after system in the mountains. Nothing major, just a few inches at a time, but it adds up. Many people have been traveling or doing spring break stuff, so few are on the slopes. Which means I can ski freshies all morning, followed by mountain biking in the afternoon.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2024, 06:28:04 PM »
Super crowded here with all the spring breakers... Plus new snow. And more to come this weekend. Still low 20s at night but sunny and warmer (and slushy) late in the day. I hate crowds and slush so will be my last week before I head out of town for a couple of months. I think Mammoth and Tahoe will be open until early July this year. Bathing suit skiing!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2024, 07:07:16 AM »
Wow. What a turn around. Went to the mountain on Wed and Fri this week. Great fresh snow both days. Had 2hrs of really amazing snowboarding until it got all tracked out, but no issues with snow coverage. Looks like we are going out strong. I'll be going up Sunday and 2 or 3 more times next week as that's the last week of the season before they shutdown.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2024, 07:18:50 AM »
I went yesterday with DW. Snow was bulletproof most of the day and all of the 18” that fell last weekend are gone. It’s been sunny and warm or rainy and warm all week. We are taking the kids this morning. The easiest way down from the top is now closed. DS1 skied black diamonds last weekend and I’ll be surprised if he can hold his edges on the blues today. I was pretty rattled yesterday. It was the kind of snow that makes you want long thin skis tuned up like blades. Some high school racers were training in long easy GS turns looking like giants.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2024, 11:30:09 AM »
I went yesterday with DW. Snow was bulletproof most of the day and all of the 18” that fell last weekend are gone. It’s been sunny and warm or rainy and warm all week. We are taking the kids this morning. The easiest way down from the top is now closed. DS1 skied black diamonds last weekend and I’ll be surprised if he can hold his edges on the blues today. I was pretty rattled yesterday. It was the kind of snow that makes you want long thin skis tuned up like blades. Some high school racers were training in long easy GS turns looking like giants.

Sounds like a normal day in the ice coast.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2024, 07:41:03 PM »
Last resort day today for my GF and I. Not a bad day for end of season. Frozen corn snow. No crowds/no lift lines. Not a bad day to wrap up the resort season.

I'm drying all our gear and then I'll put a a layer of storage wax on it and put it away until next winter.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2024, 09:37:23 PM »
2 feet of new snow yesterday. Bright, cold and clear today and pretty spectacular. Closing was suppose to be mid April but who knows? Super crowded with spring breakers.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2024, 09:44:57 PM »
2 feet of new snow yesterday. Bright, cold and clear today and pretty spectacular.

Awesome!

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2024, 10:00:03 PM »
2 feet of new snow yesterday. Bright, cold and clear today and pretty spectacular.

Awesome!
That's was on top of the 4 feet we got the weekend before! But.... hot this week at the lower levels (like 80 plus F) and may be 50s in mountain so it'll be a big slush pit soon and will close. Time for the mountain bike parks to open ;-)!!

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2024, 08:00:56 AM »
We've had 2 feet in the past week. Well, up in the mountains that is. Been raining down in the valley which has made the mountain biking trails too muddy to ride.  But skiing has been great! Looking like we're back to spring conditions next week, which is fine with me. My new skis are quite fun in morning spring slush before it gets too melted and weird. Guessing we have a couple more weeks before our resort shuts things down.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2024, 09:54:25 PM »
We've had 2 feet in the past week. Well, up in the mountains that is. Been raining down in the valley which has made the mountain biking trails too muddy to ride.  But skiing has been great! Looking like we're back to spring conditions next week, which is fine with me. My new skis are quite fun in morning spring slush before it gets too melted and weird. Guessing we have a couple more weeks before our resort shuts things down.
Shutting down for sure next Sunday. It's still in the low 20s at night but will get into the 50s and even low 60s this week during the day so bye bye snow! I think the base at the 2 resorts is around 50 inches and will go fast. The season passes here include the mountain bike parks and lifts but not sure when that will start up. I'll likely be gone much of April and May (biking!!) so hoping it'll be a nice summer to ride in da hood.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2024, 07:01:01 AM »
Shutting down for sure next Sunday. It's still in the low 20s at night but will get into the 50s and even low 60s this week during the day so bye bye snow! I think the base at the 2 resorts is around 50 inches and will go fast. The season passes here include the mountain bike parks and lifts but not sure when that will start up. I'll likely be gone much of April and May (biking!!) so hoping it'll be a nice summer to ride in da hood.

No official announcement yet on our closing date. We have an 80 inch base at the moment, so we could potentially go longer, though I think there may be something with the USFS lease requiring shut down mid-April at the latest... not entirely sure. Plus, they also need to start prepping for summer operations and they're replacing two older lifts with updated high speed quads, which they plan to complete before next winter.

Today's low is 18F and sunny and clear, so heading up this morning after I get the kids off to school. We have a northeast fasting bowl on the backside that gets early morning sun, and with the longer spring days this usually makes for soft yet not slushy groomers by mid-morning, so I'll probably hang out there from opening to around noon.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2024, 11:24:30 AM »
Yesterday was my last day of the season . . . and it was spectacular! But by the mid-afternoon it was pretty liquified. I wanted to keep going with my "always 2 more runs" philosophy, but I'm not a water skier.

Right before breaking for late lunch someone tried to get me to go out-of-bounds and off-piste, which is an absolute hard pass from me right now (especially where and when he wanted to go.) Prime avalanche conditions. I don't care if you have the equipment, it was not the day for it. Two people can get buried together just as easy as one if the slope above you comes down. At this point I'm thankful I survived my childhood stupidity and I'm not feeling any desire to keep tempting fate.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2024, 07:07:03 PM »
Got two days at bachelor last week. One day of bright sun and corn off the summit and one day chasing wind loaded powder pockets and fresh tracks. The end of the season us near, but still some goods to be had!

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2024, 11:31:24 AM »
My mountain is closed.

My kids got 14 days in. Starting the end of January.  I skied 16 days.  This has been my biggest season since 2015/2016.  We bought the family passes for next year.

April skiing had the best conditions.  My 6 year old followed every track he could find into the tight pines.  We stood outside one such "entrance". A break in the trees with a set of tracks that disappeared immediately around more trees.  An excellent skier came popping down the mogul field above us and stopped to describe to us that there was indeed a cut across the cliff band in these woods.  Ha! This track led only to a treed cliff band. We went in.

The cliff band was snowed over mostly and also populated with trees.  A cliff band in the East is invisible.  These cliffs were more than 40 feet at their highest, which isn't really that big.  We found the cut across.  I taught the kid how to drop in and cut across a shoot, then side slip around some trees to the start of a straight line down the remaining cliff and out the run out.  He wasn't phased at all and probably would have tried straight lining the whole thing if I had let him.  I could just picture him catching an edge and running his face into a tree. We continued to search the tight woods for untracked lines, he never got out of control.  I have skied this mountain for 30 years and never entered at some of the spots he found (though we did usually end up on lines I knew, sometimes we ended up at an open stream and had to hike up the other side of the ravine).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2024, 07:10:21 PM »
We may try to ski next week, over spring break. Tahoe got more snow, but it's been very warm the last few days, which isn't promising. Looks like it will cool down next week, with the potential for more snow over the weekend. We've never skied in April before, so let's see if we can make it happen.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2024, 11:29:59 PM »
We may try to ski next week, over spring break. Tahoe got more snow, but it's been very warm the last few days, which isn't promising. Looks like it will cool down next week, with the potential for more snow over the weekend. We've never skied in April before, so let's see if we can make it happen.
Tahoe is usually really great in spring depending on where you go (I've only skiied the North Lake resorts because my cousins lived there). I think theyll stay open pretty late this year and many runs look good. I had my last day today and will head out on a road trip after I pick up a rental SUV tomorrow (and yes @Fru-Gal I'll walk the 5 miles to get the car -  battling zombies all the way ;-)). I think I'll check out both Mammoth and Tahoe - both which will be open until at least June.  I'm really excited to see all the wildflower super blooms in Calif too.

Aren't there some places that stay open year round? MT. Bachelor? Some WA places? I use to live in Alaska and skied Alyeska and even at a low elevation it was open a long time but not that long!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2024, 09:17:07 AM »
@spartana - we will likely check out Heavenly (free lodging), so I will report back on conditions.

As for year round, I ran Hood to Coast a few years back in August, and I was runner 1, starting at Mount Hood. There were people skiing or boarding somewhere on the mountain.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2024, 02:01:52 PM »
Today was my last day for the season. The resort will be open the rest of this week and the following weekend, but probably won't make it up again this year. I got in 40-ish days this year, which isn't half bad considering poor early season conditions and recovery from major abdominal surgery most of December.

Parts of the mountain today were very hard groomers, but areas with morning sun were wonderful and buttery. Even got off piste and in the bumps as things softened up. Encouraged that my endurance and strength are almost back to where they were before cancer. Looking forward to a summer of mountain biking and backpacking.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2024, 03:05:03 PM »
@FINate - that's definitely something to celebrate!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2024, 08:00:59 AM »
We skied Heavenly on Tuesday, and the lack of lines was amazing. We've never skied this late in the season in Tahoe before. We did more runs on Tuesday than a standard two day trip, because... no lines. Snow was okay, and they had about 1/3 of the mountain open. It happened that an area I really like to ski was open, so all good for me. I did get hit hard by a snowboarder on my last run of the day of course it would be the last run), & my neck is still bothering me, which sucks.

Yesterday we skied Kirkwood. We were all wearing long sleeved tshirts & no gloves, jackets, etc. I forgot to wear sunblock on my hands (because I've never skied without them before), & got a burn. Otherwise, stunner of a day & incredibly peaceful. Condition of the snow was hard packed in the am, and then had the consistency of an icee by the end of the day.

DS17 really wants to do a half day at Heavenly today with a friend, so we'll probably ski a few last runs. But, definitely no lunch on the mountain, because food selections are slim pickings! Heavenly is closing for the season on Sunday, and Kirkwood the following weekend.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2024, 08:22:19 AM »
We skied Heavenly on Tuesday, and the lack of lines was amazing. We've never skied this late in the season in Tahoe before. We did more runs on Tuesday than a standard two day trip, because... no lines. Snow was okay, and they had about 1/3 of the mountain open. It happened that an area I really like to ski was open, so all good for me. I did get hit hard by a snowboarder on my last run of the day of course it would be the last run), & my neck is still bothering me, which sucks.

Nothing upsets me more in the world of alpine than injuries caused by other people who run into you.  Of the numerous serious injuries incurred by myself and close friends over the last decade the overwhelming majority have been the result of collisions.  Learn and follow the mountain code

/rant

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2024, 08:24:37 AM »
@nereo - it really burns me as well, because I'm an incredibly cautious skier. I ski slowly (too slow, if you as anyone in my family), don't make erratic turns, follow a line, pause or wait for others, have good situational awareness, look up Hill, use a lot of caution on trail merges, etc... I was on the far right side of a dead quiet run - I have absolutely zero idea how this person hit me. Also, my favorite was the girl he was with saying "accidents happen, lady", as though it was totally normal to plow into someone & there was just no way to avoid it. That part set me off more than the accident itself.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2024, 08:35:19 AM »
@nereo - it really burns me as well, because I'm an incredibly cautious skier. I ski slowly (too slow, if you as anyone in my family), don't make erratic turns, follow a line, pause or wait for others, have good situational awareness, look up Hill, use a lot of caution on trail merges, etc... I was on the far right side of a dead quiet run - I have absolutely zero idea how this person hit me. Also, my favorite was the girl he was with saying "accidents happen, lady", as though it was totally normal to plow into someone & there was just no way to avoid it. That part set me off more than the accident itself.

I remember being on a lift with a man and his ~6 year old son at Mt Rose (Reno) when we witnessed a crash just below us and the instigator said something similar about "accidents happen".  The man on the lift yelled down "accidents are avoidable but injuries can last a lifetime!"  It stuck.

I tore my LCL when a skier pinballed-me from behind into some frozen curd at the edge of a run.  MIL got knocked down at age 60 and took two years to recover but will never ski the same. Best friend, who was  BFD racer in her 20s had a snowboarder plow into her and fracture her leg just above the boot late last year; hasn't skied since and spent months on crutches.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2024, 09:14:52 AM »
I did get hit hard by a snowboarder on my last run of the day of course it would be the last run), & my neck is still bothering me, which sucks.

You may need to check the laws of your local jurisdiction, but here in MI if a snowboarder takes you out, you are legally entitled to his entire stash of weed.   

(heal up! hope it's nothing too serious.)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2024, 10:06:55 AM »
I did get hit hard by a snowboarder on my last run of the day of course it would be the last run), & my neck is still bothering me, which sucks.

You may need to check the laws of your local jurisdiction, but here in MI if a snowboarder takes you out, you are legally entitled to his entire stash of weed.   

(heal up! hope it's nothing too serious.)

I actually lol-ed

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2024, 11:23:04 AM »
Just got a lap in. Came up to the mountain to hike an AM lap and then Work a bit. The snow was glacial ice so I worked a bit then took a lap. Some of the sun cups were still hard but there were a few smooth lines to be found.

As usual, I got scared a bear was going to come out of the woods and fight me for my PB and J sandwich. So I skidaddled off my look out perch soon after transitioning from how to ski mode.

I got some shirtless snow hiking in though so… Great ski day.