Author Topic: 230k for premature baby  (Read 9032 times)

chouchouu

• Bristles
230k for premature baby
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:46:09 AM »
A Ukrainian couple face a 230k bill for their baby who was born prematurely while on an around the world bicycle trip.
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/birth/birth-stories/tourist-couple-face-230000-bill-for-premature-baby-in-australia-20160517-gowy8v

When I first heard this story I rolled my eyes and wondered how foolish they could be not having adequate insurance when the lady was pregnant and overseas. However when I saw that they had rode their bicycles all the way over from the Ukraine on a limited budget I felt a tugging at my moustachian heart strings. We all make mistakes. I wonder how the hospital will sort it out since they clearly can't afford the bill.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 230k for premature baby
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:03:53 AM »
Yeah sorry, no sympathy. Around the world bike tours are a great idea, but not when you are pregnant.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 01:28:22 AM »
Yeah sorry, no sympathy. Around the world bike tours are a great idea, but not when you are pregnant.

They left more than a year ago so she must have got pregnant along the way. They really should have sorted something out though. They claim they only earnt $90 a week back in the Ukraine yet somehow funded the trip which has cost them 9k so far, so something doesn't quite add up.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 01:28:28 AM »
Poor couple. I'm glad to see a GoFundMe page. Seems like the sort of thing the website was actually set up for.

I have a casual work acquaintance, who's baby was born 10 weeks early. The kid spent 98 days in the NICU before being discharged. The dad's active duty military, and thanks to the billing procedure with the insurance provider, the family got a summary of every medical bill. In the end, the kid cost 1.1 million dollars. Granted, that was raw hospital pricing, without any insurance negotiations. But still, over a million dollars. I believe the family ended up paying around 5k in out of pocket expenses.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 01:30:43 AM »
I presume like most hospitals in first world countries, they just write it off as a loss.  I doubt Australia will hold the baby ransom until the couple pays.  In a third world country they would have never gotten the medical treatment if they could not pay first. 

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 01:50:21 AM »
Poor couple. I'm glad to see a GoFundMe page. Seems like the sort of thing the website was actually set up for.

I have a casual work acquaintance, who's baby was born 10 weeks early. The kid spent 98 days in the NICU before being discharged. The dad's active duty military, and thanks to the billing procedure with the insurance provider, the family got a summary of every medical bill. In the end, the kid cost 1.1 million dollars. Granted, that was raw hospital pricing, without any insurance negotiations. But still, over a million dollars. I believe the family ended up paying around 5k in out of pocket expenses.

I'm assuming its the same kind of care this baby is receiving, which really goes to show how over priced US medical care is. 

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:53:42 AM »
I presume like most hospitals in first world countries, they just write it off as a loss.  I doubt Australia will hold the baby ransom until the couple pays.  In a third world country they would have never gotten the medical treatment if they could not pay first.

That's what I was thinking. My daughter was hospitalised just before we left Belgium, I asked the nurses if we could settle insurance on the spot and she said we would have to wait until they finalised costs and posted it to us. I mentioned we were leaving and she just shrugged her shoulders, "well if you're not here then you don't have to worry about paying!"

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 07:27:32 AM »
Zero sympathy, traveling bicycle musicians likely cannot afford to have a child... Certainly not with fancy hospital care. Should have got a quote and negotiated pricing before agreeing to receive services. Being premature is unfortunate, but some things are outside of our control.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:29:21 AM »

Babies and almost-dead-dying people rack up a very large percentage of healthcare costs..

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »
Zero sympathy, traveling bicycle musicians likely cannot afford to have a child... Certainly not with fancy hospital care. Should have got a quote and negotiated pricing before agreeing to receive services. Being premature is unfortunate, but some things are outside of our control.
I agree that people earning $90 -- was it a week or a month? -- shouldn't set out on year-long bicycle trips across the world, but are you really suggesting that they should've negotiated with the hospital while she was in labor and fearful about a baby arriving too early?  That's really not a possibility. 

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »
I agree that people earning $90 -- was it a week or a month? -- shouldn't set out on year-long bicycle trips across the world, but are you really suggesting that they should've negotiated with the hospital while she was in labor and fearful about a baby arriving too early?  That's really not a possibility.

I read that and was about to respond too.  Ayn Rand pure careless capitalism will never die completely. All we can do is call out it's ridiculousness when we see it. I can't wait for the day (it will be here over the coming decades) when everyone is on Medicare from birth. Partly because it will be cheaper and partly because I love when the ultra right whines about things that benefit 99% of the country. Their crying is showing more and more that the republican emperor has no clothes.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »

I read that and was about to respond too.  Ayn Rand pure careless capitalism will never die completely. All we can do is call out it's ridiculousness when we see it. I can't wait for the day (it will be here over the coming decades) when everyone is on Medicare from birth. Partly because it will be cheaper and partly because I love when the ultra right whines about things that benefit 99% of the country. Their crying is showing more and more that the republican emperor has no clothes.

I agree, but it's not just the ultra-right; plenty of posts in this thread jump with glee about their lack of empathy toward the couple. There are a great many selfish and backwards-thinking people in this country, and many proudly wave the mustachian flag (or vote for the democratic party, etc). It's just part and parcel of a culture that's been brainwashed to worship individualism. We're moving into the future, but it will take a while.

When I first heard this story I rolled my eyes and wondered how foolish they could be not having adequate insurance...
Yeah sorry, no sympathy.
Zero sympathy...Should have got a quote and negotiated pricing before agreeing to receive services.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:32:03 AM by tobitonic »

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »

I agree, but it's not just the ultra-right; plenty of posts in this thread jump with glee about their lack of empathy toward the couple. There are a great many selfish and backwards-thinking people in this country, and many proudly wave the mustachian flag (or vote for the democratic party, etc). It's just part and parcel of a culture that's been brainwashed to worship individualism. We're moving into the future, but it will take a while.

When I first heard this story I rolled my eyes and wondered how foolish they could be not having adequate insurance...
Yeah sorry, no sympathy.
Zero sympathy...Should have got a quote and negotiated pricing before agreeing to receive services.

Part of the problem is the baby Boomer generation. The 80s were probably the height of praising the individual over society as a whole. It was instituted by the Boomers reaching established adulthood and will partly die with them. In 20 years the Boomers will be tucked away in nursing homes and my generation will take true power. FYI. My generation hates corporate greed and the ultra rich getting richer while the working poor struggle to survive. Things are changing and the right is in trouble.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
Quote from: tobitonic
]

Saying you don't have sympathy for folks that very consciously make objectively terrible decisions with consequences that are pretty plainly visible is "brainwashed individualism worship" and not having sympathy implies that one is actually happy about their misfortune?

Horsewollup.

I would have plenty of sympathy if, for example, they ran into a similar situation involving an unforeseeable medical issue, but being pregnant is not exactly something for which there are not _many_ forseeable reasons to not, you know, keep going on your bike tour and instead go home or find a suitable arrangement with access to affordable health care. I'd also have sympathy if they had no option to get in a proper situation given the change in plans, but clearly they did have the means to return home. Last time I checked, it's not possible to ride a bike across oceans in order for them to get to other continents so clearly they had the funds to purchase passage home.

They should have postponed their vacation and done right by themselves and their child. Instead they made a terrible decision and are now facing the consequences of that decision. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts, however, that they will avoid taking responsibility by just leaving the country and the debt their poor decision accrued for them.

Luckily, at least, this happened in a place where appropriate medical care was actually available.

If someone took out a gun and knowingly shot themselves in the foot, would they deserve sympathy?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:57:41 AM by MilesTeg »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »

Part of the problem is the baby Boomer generation. The 80s were probably the height of praising the individual over society as a whole. It was instituted by the Boomers reaching established adulthood and will partly die with them. In 20 years the Boomers will be tucked away in nursing homes and my generation will take true power. FYI. My generation hates corporate greed and the ultra rich getting richer while the working poor struggle to survive. Things are changing and the right is in trouble.

Which is actually not contrary to the concept of personal responsibility.

(edited for quotes)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:56:11 AM by sheepstache »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
Quote from: tobitonic
]

Saying you don't have sympathy for folks that very consciously make objectively terrible decisions with consequences that are pretty plainly visible is "brainwashed individualism worship" and not having sympathy implies that one is actually happy about their misfortune?

Horsewollup.

I would have plenty of sympathy if, for example, they ran into a similar situation involving an unforeseeable medical issue, but being pregnant is not exactly something for which there are not _many_ forseeable reasons to not, you know, keep going on your bike tour and instead go home or find a suitable arrangement with access to affordable health care. I'd also have sympathy if they had no option to get in a proper situation given the change in plans, but clearly they did have the means to return home. Last time I checked, it's not possible to ride a bike across oceans in order for them to get to other continents so clearly they had the funds to purchase passage home.

They should have postponed their vacation and done right by themselves and their child. Instead they made a terrible decision and are now facing the consequences of that decision. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts, however, that they will avoid taking responsibility by just leaving the country and the debt their poor decision accrued for them.

Luckily, at least, this happened in a place where appropriate medical care was actually available.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the line in the article "the couple were planning on travelling to Argentina for the baby's birth at the end of June." Is it that there's free health care there? Or their insurance would cover them there?  And it doesn't say when exactly they were planning to leave. If the baby was 28 weeks on April 8th, that means if they'd gone to Argentina on June 1st the baby would have been 36 weeks.  I guess that's not crazy. (although then you get into issues of whether an airline will let you fly and whether the country you're arriving at will let you in that far along in the pregnancy--I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they looked into all that) Full term is 37 weeks. You know what MMM says, use your optimism gun. But if it means they were going to wait much later than that, it seems risky. Plus, Australian healthcare is probably cheaper than the US, but I can't imagine they could afford out of pocket costs for prenatal visits. But, again, that's my American sense of risk and medicalization surrounding birth. Maybe in the Ukraine prenatal care isn't common.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
So, let's break down this "insurance" idea a little more.

If they're Ukrainian Citizens living in Ukraine, they would have had health care covered through Ukraine's national health plan, like any other citizens, paid through a tax on earnings. Ukraine is not a part of the EU, so they likely wouldn't have had reciprocal coverage with other European countries. But to be honest, most Europeans that I know don't even think about "health insurance" when they travel. It's really, really not a thing people consider here -- they assume that they can go to a doctor on the state health care system when they travel, and pay a low or not fee. And frankly, you can! I got a perforated ear drum in France in January, and when I tried to pay the doctor for treatment (as an American Citizen living in the EU with no EU Health Care) they shrugged and sent me out the door. (I did have to pay for the meds at the Pharmacy).

So, while traveler's insurance policies exist, I think it would be really unlikely that they would have considered getting one. Some people do get them for travel to the US, but that's mainly because our health system is so horrifically and legendarily bad that even non-savvy travelers know they're up the fecal estuary if they get so much as a cold. If they DID get a traveler's policy -- and I say this as someone who buys them regularly -- functionally all of them would exclude pregnancy as a covered condition, and would not cover the baby until it was born and could be underwritten. Obviously, a premature newborn in need of $230k of care is not going to pass underwriting for any insurance policy, so it's a bit of a moot point. (This is one of the reasons that pregnant women are not recommended to travel internationally late in pregnancy.)

tl;dr: Should they have had insurance? Probably. Would it have helped in this case? Almost certainly not.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
I think all countries should have public health care for citizens but I have no sympathy for this couple.

They should have either returned to the Ukraine when they discovered that the wife was pregnant or bought travel medical insurance that would cover the costs of the pregnancy while abroad if such a policy exists. The taxpayers in Australia should not have to pay for a foreigner's foolishness. The hospital in Australia will probably not be able to collect on this debt which is unfortunate.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »

Yeah sorry, no sympathy.

Oh, never mind the 60's and 70's and the communes and the right livliihood movement and dropping out and Come the Revolution...

I'm not entirely sure I'd be thrilled about having a premature baby in the Ukraine these days, but maybe that's just me.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 04:50:13 PM »
So, let's break down this "insurance" idea a little more.

If they're Ukrainian Citizens living in Ukraine, they would have had health care covered through Ukraine's national health plan, like any other citizens, paid through a tax on earnings. Ukraine is not a part of the EU, so they likely wouldn't have had reciprocal coverage with other European countries. But to be honest, most Europeans that I know don't even think about "health insurance" when they travel. It's really, really not a thing people consider here -- they assume that they can go to a doctor on the state health care system when they travel, and pay a low or not fee. And frankly, you can! I got a perforated ear drum in France in January, and when I tried to pay the doctor for treatment (as an American Citizen living in the EU with no EU Health Care) they shrugged and sent me out the door. (I did have to pay for the meds at the Pharmacy).

So, while traveler's insurance policies exist, I think it would be really unlikely that they would have considered getting one. Some people do get them for travel to the US, but that's mainly because our health system is so horrifically and legendarily bad that even non-savvy travelers know they're up the fecal estuary if they get so much as a cold. If they DID get a traveler's policy -- and I say this as someone who buys them regularly -- functionally all of them would exclude pregnancy as a covered condition, and would not cover the baby until it was born and could be underwritten. Obviously, a premature newborn in need of $230k of care is not going to pass underwriting for any insurance policy, so it's a bit of a moot point. (This is one of the reasons that pregnant women are not recommended to travel internationally late in pregnancy.)

tl;dr: Should they have had insurance? Probably. Would it have helped in this case? Almost certainly not.

This explains a lot! Until recently when I received medical care at hospital I was never even asked for my medicare (what our universal health care system is called in Australia-different from US) card. I distinctly remember taking a friend to hospital when I was a uni student and they didn't ask her for cards either even though she was clearly an international student. I don't think Australian hospitals care too much about these things unless you're being admitted for an extended stay. I remember when I was living abroad and changing countries I wanted to get insurance from Australia to cover me for the new country. This simply wasn't available, to get insurance I had to start my travels in Australia and there was no general international cover for living abroad. It's very possible that Ukraine doesn't even offer insurance for their circumstances, most travel cover here doesn't cover pregnancy here. And yes, healthcare is so cheap in Belgium I never bothered submitting insurance forms except for my birth and at a weeks stay and twins the entire bill was only about 3,000 euros despite having a private obstetrician and private room.

Also to the PP you cannot negotiate costs with a public hospital here. They are not run for profit, it's a different system to the US. The hospitals don't make profit, their funding is from the government. They are actually pretty lucky she gave birth here, I don't know what health issues caused the baby to be born but I doubt she would have received such excellent care in Argentina.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »

Yeah sorry, no sympathy.

You don't think it's foolish not to have your basic needs covered when you are in control of the situation and it is obvious that the need could arise? I am completely pro-universal healthcare but as the saying goes "if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel"

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »

Yeah sorry, no sympathy.

Capitalism pays for the ever expanding wish lists of the left. Get rid of capitalism, or restrict it so much that it can't function any longer, and then who is left to pay for everything?

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »

Yeah sorry, no sympathy.

Capitalism pays for the ever expanding wish lists of the left. Get rid of capitalism, or restrict it so much that it can't function any longer, and then who is left to pay for everything?

There are many who value social justice over sacrificing everything to maximize growth. I would be willing to count on 2-3% instead of 4% withdrawal if we devoted resources to preventing poverty for those willing to work, having everyone covered for healthcare and making our planet clean for my children.  You are right that there is no free lunch. The question is are you willing to sacrifice everything so that you can maximize growth.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:35:46 PM by Bucksandreds »

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 01:55:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the line in the article "the couple were planning on travelling to Argentina for the baby's birth at the end of June." Is it that there's free health care there?

Yes, there is free healthcare there and the baby would have gotten citizenship as well. 

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »
Somewhere, there is got to be a happy medium between encouraging people to make smart decisions, (this wasn't one) and not letting their lives be ruined by bankruptcy for making a poor decision.  Also, I am not fond of letting an innocent child suffer or die for the sake of fairness. 

Whenever I see people saying they don't have any sympathy for people who make bad choices that result in a societal financial burden, I want to invent an empathy helmet.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:39 PM »
However when I saw that they had rode their bicycles all the way over from the Ukraine on a limited budget I felt a tugging at my moustachian heart strings.

How does one cycle from Ukraine to Australia? Doesn't that include a pretty signifigant swim? 
This was not a budget trip- they should have had insurance.  (And then traveling to Argentina? These people clearly had some means, so I'm not buying the "so poor, had to cycle" thing.)

That said, that bill is pretty small compared to what a NICU bill in the US would be; and the kind of thing go-fund-me is for. I'm sure they will figure out a payment plan, and with this getting publicity will likely not end up having problems paying it off. The health of people is much more important than money in the end.

I am one who self insures for many trips; but not while pregnant. It was not a smart choice.  However, I'm glad they had access to good medical care. They were lucky to not be in the kind of country that demands payment upfront before giving care.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »
Somewhere, there is got to be a happy medium between encouraging people to make smart decisions, (this wasn't one) and not letting their lives be ruined by bankruptcy for making a poor decision.  Also, I am not fond of letting an innocent child suffer or die for the sake of fairness. 

Whenever I see people saying they don't have any sympathy for people who make bad choices that result in a societal financial burden, I want to invent an empathy helmet.

Who said anything about letting an innocent child suffer and die for the sake of fairness?

These people made an idiotic decision, and thankfully the real consequences of their decision were avoided by society going to bat for them. That that work to overcome their idiocy has a (purely financial) price is not a reason to feel bad for them.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
However when I saw that they had rode their bicycles all the way over from the Ukraine on a limited budget I felt a tugging at my moustachian heart strings.

How does one cycle from Ukraine to Australia? Doesn't that include a pretty signifigant swim? 
This was not a budget trip- they should have had insurance.  (And then traveling to Argentina? These people clearly had some means, so I'm not buying the "so poor, had to cycle" thing.)

That said, that bill is pretty small compared to what a NICU bill in the US would be; and the kind of thing go-fund-me is for. I'm sure they will figure out a payment plan, and with this getting publicity will likely not end up having problems paying it off. The health of people is much more important than money in the end.

I am one who self insures for many trips; but not while pregnant. It was not a smart choice.  However, I'm glad they had access to good medical care. They were lucky to not be in the kind of country that demands payment upfront before giving care.

Well we are all aware what they mean when they said it is a cycling trip from Ukraine to Oz and I think it's pretty obvious they chose cycling for reasons other than budget. The reason it's mustachian is because they are travelling by bike and recognise the benefits of bike travel and because like it or not but 9k for several months of travel with two people across several different countries is quite mustachian IMO.

Personally I don't have millions of dollars to self insure for travel but I lower my cost by choosing the highest possible excess and medical only cover. My own brother had a medical evacuation, I don't want to risk such costs, no matter how small that risk.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
This is interesting...I've never gotten travel insurance before, although I've traveled internationally lots of times - most of my trips are less than 2 or 3 weeks in duration.  Usually any issues I've had are solved by going to a pharmacy.  Do most people get travel insurance?  And how do you go about purchasing it?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »
This is interesting...I've never gotten travel insurance before, although I've traveled internationally lots of times - most of my trips are less than 2 or 3 weeks in duration.  Usually any issues I've had are solved by going to a pharmacy.  Do most people get travel insurance?  And how do you go about purchasing it?

We usually buy our  travel insurance through USAA, but I usually check insuremytrip (.com, I think) before we buy it.
I bought it when I was pregnant and we went to the Caribbean, and when we went to the Galapagos (but I was otherwise healthy)- otherwise, we self insure. 
We bought it for those trips because the Galapagos is remote and the cost of medical evacuation extreme. When I was pregnant I wanted to make sure I had extensive coverage in case I had a medical emergency (including a premature baby) that would be unusually expensive, as well as ensuring medical evacuation so I, and the baby if that was the case, could be cared for in the US.

But most of the time, we don't bother. We have money that we can self insure, and my medical insurance has some coverage out of the country.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
What's a box of trojans run these days- 7-14$?
let's split it and say 10.
for the cost of the child- that's 23,000 BOXES of TROJANS.

At 12 per box that's 276,000 rubbers.

I have no fucking sympathy for people who can't figure out how to not get pregnant. it's not rocket science.

I 100% disagree with a gofundme. Stop asking me to pay for your selfish choices.