Author Topic: 2026 FIRE Cohort  (Read 133433 times)

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
Re: 2026 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #300 on: January 04, 2023, 10:18:47 AM »
Hey 2026 friends!

Stash down (~$650k), spending up slightly (~$32.5k). Ended the year at just under 20x my 3-year spending average. All in all, however, made some progress elsewhere (like paying off the mortgage). Still on track for Coast or Full FIRE in 2026 (or a downshift prior if circumstances dictate).

I hope you all had fantastic holidays!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2023, 07:41:18 AM »
Happy New Year!

To add my update to the mix, I was able to keep my stash positive this year due to a significant influx of cash. The company I work for sold and I unloaded a good amount of stock to diversify out of my private company and into the market. Investing heavily in a down market hurts, but I am hoping that this cycle ends sometime in 2023 and I can see returns on all the shares I've added at recession discounts either this year or early 2024.

I'm at about 8x-10x saved of my expected FIRE spending, which seems way behind where I need to be at this point. I am relying heavily on a few things to hit my FIRE goal in 2026:

First, I have a high income and relatively low spend and I plan to contribute about 50% of my gross income into savings this year and each year between now and 2026.  This amount is a good chunk more than I plan to spend year-over-year post FIRE, so I'm hoping my high savings rate combined with the current market 'discount' leads to significant gains towards my goal over the next three years. I work in a sales-supporting role so my job also comes with bonuses which have an opportunity to increase my savings even more and (worst case) leave me on track.

Second, I've made a couple of big bets that (if they hit) can bump me 20% closer to FIRE almost overnight. If any of them pop, they will pop somewhere around 2025/2026 which would either help me cross the finish line or give me a nice buffer going into FIRE. Worst case scenario for all these bets is they lead to nothing and it doesn't help me (but also doesn't hurt me in any way). These are truly low risk, high reward scenarios with practically no downside and I'm here for it.

Third, DW and I have decided to really invest in lifestyle this year and next. Figuring out how we want to live and making all the little changes to our lives that we've been putting off. Things like landscaping, repairs around the house, buying cooking tools, budgeting more money to bring friends and family together, things like that. The kind of general life stuff that we've historically put off. It's time to start building our home and our lives so they match our desires pre and post FIRE. This has the added benefit of significantly reducing post FIRE spend if we can do it without impacting savings, which I believe we can. 

Looking at the above, there's a lot of "what ifs" in there. I am definitely behind where I hoped to be at this time, but that's due to the down market more than any failures on my part. If we'd had the kind of steady returns we had from 2010-2019 I'd be exactly where I'd hoped. So, let's say I'm ahead of my goals with all these extra shares I'm buying at 20-30% discounts!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:33:38 AM by alcon835 »

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2023, 12:24:36 PM »
Congrats @lilkidjesus and @alcon835, you both seem to be on your way even if both stock & bond markets sucked in 2022.

I really don’t have much of an update.  We continue to max our TSPs, Roth IRAs, and HSAs, and I’m at <38 months from the pension plus medical insurance for life (we’ll need to continue paying the employee portion).

We’ve made our final tuition payments, so our savings rate should increase.  We’re also establishing residency in a no-income-tax state, which will net us some $8-10k per year while we’re still working.

I’ve met the OASDI tax base maximum in each of the last two years, so I guess I have a high income.  Although I would have preferred stock market gains in 2022, it’s nice to purchase stocks at a 10-20% discount while it lasts.  Future me will thank current me.

We continue to marvel at the good fortune that has smiled upon us.

Keep on keeping on!

OttawaNeal

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • The journey is the adventure.
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2023, 07:00:18 PM »
Although I'm sure a lot will change over the next 3 years, it's important to have goals - something to work towards. 2026 looks like the year I'm aiming for now. 😊

Hello everyone! 👋

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2023, 08:48:29 AM »
Although I'm sure a lot will change over the next 3 years, it's important to have goals - something to work towards. 2026 looks like the year I'm aiming for now. 😊

Hello everyone! 👋

Hello and welcome!  I'm officially Class of 2027, but hoping to shave some time off of that depending on how things go between now and then.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #305 on: February 18, 2023, 04:07:26 AM »

Hello everyone! 👋

Welcome!   Keep us updated on your journey!

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2023, 11:46:27 AM »
Happy New Year!

To add my update to the mix, I was able to keep my stash positive this year due to a significant influx of cash. The company I work for sold and I unloaded a good amount of stock to diversify out of my private company and into the market. Investing heavily in a down market hurts, but I am hoping that this cycle ends sometime in 2023 and I can see returns on all the shares I've added at recession discounts either this year or early 2024.

I'm at about 8x-10x saved of my expected FIRE spending, which seems way behind where I need to be at this point. I am relying heavily on a few things to hit my FIRE goal in 2026:

First, I have a high income and relatively low spend and I plan to contribute about 50% of my gross income into savings this year and each year between now and 2026.  This amount is a good chunk more than I plan to spend year-over-year post FIRE, so I'm hoping my high savings rate combined with the current market 'discount' leads to significant gains towards my goal over the next three years. I work in a sales-supporting role so my job also comes with bonuses which have an opportunity to increase my savings even more and (worst case) leave me on track.

Second, I've made a couple of big bets that (if they hit) can bump me 20% closer to FIRE almost overnight. If any of them pop, they will pop somewhere around 2025/2026 which would either help me cross the finish line or give me a nice buffer going into FIRE. Worst case scenario for all these bets is they lead to nothing and it doesn't help me (but also doesn't hurt me in any way). These are truly low risk, high reward scenarios with practically no downside and I'm here for it.

Third, DW and I have decided to really invest in lifestyle this year and next. Figuring out how we want to live and making all the little changes to our lives that we've been putting off. Things like landscaping, repairs around the house, buying cooking tools, budgeting more money to bring friends and family together, things like that. The kind of general life stuff that we've historically put off. It's time to start building our home and our lives so they match our desires pre and post FIRE. This has the added benefit of significantly reducing post FIRE spend if we can do it without impacting savings, which I believe we can. 

Looking at the above, there's a lot of "what ifs" in there. I am definitely behind where I hoped to be at this time, but that's due to the down market more than any failures on my part. If we'd had the kind of steady returns we had from 2010-2019 I'd be exactly where I'd hoped. So, let's say I'm ahead of my goals with all these extra shares I'm buying at 20-30% discounts!

Let's keep in mind that the sp500 has returned about 6.5% after inflation from 2019 to current. That's right in line with historical returns. I would say the market is priced about right in historical terms and the last 4 years have been a roller coaster but overall still pretty great.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #307 on: February 18, 2023, 11:47:42 AM »
Welcome to the cohort OttwaNeal and Turtle! It's great to have you both here! Looking forward to your updates as we get closer and closer to 2026!!!

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #308 on: February 22, 2023, 02:08:26 PM »
After meeting with a Financial Planner and running a Monte Carlo on all my numbers while trying to break things, it's looking pretty likely that I will pull the trigger in mid June of 2026.

That optimizes a couple additional factors specific to my employer, while still coming up with a 99 in the Monte Carlo.  (Which is in line with what I was getting on the Rich, Broke, Dead site.)

3 years, 3 months, and 3 weeks to go.  :-)

The end is in sight.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2023, 08:56:40 AM »
After meeting with a Financial Planner and running a Monte Carlo on all my numbers while trying to break things, it's looking pretty likely that I will pull the trigger in mid June of 2026.

That optimizes a couple additional factors specific to my employer, while still coming up with a 99 in the Monte Carlo.  (Which is in line with what I was getting on the Rich, Broke, Dead site.)

3 years, 3 months, and 3 weeks to go.  :-)

The end is in sight.

Welcome aboard @Turtle !  The end definitely is in sight... I'm now at < 36 months.  This week was tough at the office, but there's sun breaking through the clouds.

We continue to load up on stocks on sale, hoping for a big price rise three years from now but not before!

It's renewal time for our tenants, so we hope they'll sign for another year.

cannotWAIT

• Stubble
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2023, 07:14:57 PM »
Can you please add me to this cohort, for August 2026? There won't really be an E in my FIRE since I'll be 60, and it will be somewhat lean, but that's my date. I'm currently funneling the entirety of my paycheck into my 401(a), 403(b) Roth, and 457(b), and living super frugally on cash that was the result of some tax loss harvesting. It feels like pounding sand down a rathole. If things ever turn around, though, three years of doing that should pay off. I'm at a little over $600K now, plus a paid off house worth $320K.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2023, 01:47:13 AM »
Can you please add me to this cohort, for August 2026? There won't really be an E in my FIRE since I'll be 60, and it will be somewhat lean, but that's my date. I'm currently funneling the entirety of my paycheck into my 401(a), 403(b) Roth, and 457(b), and living super frugally on cash that was the result of some tax loss harvesting. It feels like pounding sand down a rathole. If things ever turn around, though, three years of doing that should pay off. I'm at a little over $600K now, plus a paid off house worth $320K.

Welcome to the club @cannotWAIT !

I know the feeling of throwing cash at retirement funds in lieu of current consumption, it's especially hard with the markets so uneven.  I firmly believe that we're buying stocks on sale now and will reap the benefits in the coming years.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2023, 07:22:18 AM »
This is one of the quietest cohort threads on this forum, I'm quite not sure why, especially with three years to go.  Perhaps we're mostly Gen-Xers who keep our heads down and our noses to the grindstone.

Our tenants renewed for another year with a small rent increase.  We're changing property management firms because both our tenants and we were tired of dealing with a PM company that neither communicates well nor fixes the problems.

We're finally seeing some positive movement in our equity portfolios as the US economy grows slowly, inflation falls, and it seems likely that the Fed will slow or stop its interest rate increases.  During this period of rising rates, our HELOC rate has increased from 4.75% to 8.5%.  We've accepted some 0% CC offers and moved some of the HELOC debt to a margin loan at Interactive Brokers at a lower rate.  Most of the HELOC debt is personal/non-deductible amassed during our children's college studies, which are now behind us, so we've started attacking the balance.  The smaller, but tax-deductible portion comes from a necessary renovation in our rental that we'll finish paying next year.  Our tenants keep paying down our main mortgage as well.  All in all, our debt load remains very manageable at comfortably low rates.  We could pay everything off at any time, and choose to allow our portfolio to grow as we continue plowing the maximum into our tax-advantaged vehicles.

Work remains challenging for us both, and we're grateful for the approaching end of this assignment.  I have < 35 months before reaching MRA.  As I've said elsewhere, the impending pension entitlement has us eschewing bonds and maintaining a  reasonably small amount of portfolio leverage through the aforementioned debt load.

We both exercise regularly, get fresh air, and eat healthy meals.  My commitment to fitness has seen me slowly lose about 5 kg over the last 18 months and has converted much of my fat into muscle while allowing me to manage (mostly work) stress in a healthy way.  I should have started strength exercise years ago, but am thrilled with the results since starting.

How are you all doing?  What progress are you making, what challenges are you struggling with?

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #313 on: April 30, 2023, 11:54:20 AM »
How are you all doing?  What progress are you making, what challenges are you struggling with?

You're right, it is quiet in here. In truth, I'm worried I won't make my FIRE Number by 2026. 2022 saw me contribute more than I ever have in my entire career and see almost no growth. 2023 has the markets barely beating my contributions. If things don't pick back up this year or next my growing contributions aren't going to end up mattering for my 2026 goal. I'm starting to get worried since I'm over $300k behind where I need to be by the end of this year. But we'll see how things play out. I've still got some tricks in me, and no one can predict the future.

Besides that, life is going okay. We've realized we need to sell our house and move somewhere different, but there's nowhere really calling us. The places with people we love are all in places we don't want to live, so that's been difficult. Buying a new home one selling our current one would be pretty straight forward if I had some idea of where we wanted to end up.

Work wise, things have never been better. I am in a strong position in the company, I am doing meaningful work (most of the time), and I enjoy my job.

Healthwise, I have been doing better at regimenting my eating and doing regular exercise. I really enjoy running and I LOVE running on a treadmill, but I don't have one at home, so we're going to remedy that in the next few weeks. I also like seeing progress from Bodyweight fitness and am debating joining a gym or orange theory or something similar to get some coaching and accountability. I always enjoying having worked out, but I really struggle to actually get up and do it. I'm not sure that ever goes away, from what people tell me. Some folks just have this insane inner urge to avoid exercise at all cost and I am one of them. Still, after exercising I'm happier, I sleep better, and it's easier not to overeat so I will keep searching for ways to keep me doing it. 

I also splurged pretty hard and went on an extravagant vacation a few weeks ago. We were gone for 10 days and had an absolute blast! But I think I spent more in those 10 days than I do in entire quarters! Hotels and rental cars and fun events are expense, but I think it was worth it. I don't want to do a ton of that kind of stuff, but it is an important reminder that I'm not broke, I am actually doing very well financially (even if we don't hit my FIRE number by 2026), and it is okay to make non-frugal choices from time-to-time.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Nervous about if I belong in this thread, unsure about my future living situation, doing some moderate (but inconsistent) exercise, and in the best financial and career position of my entire life.

cannotWAIT

• Stubble
« Reply #314 on: April 30, 2023, 01:44:01 PM »
I think I have a classic case of so-close-but-yet-so-far and am driving myself crazy with it. Technically I would have been fine to switch to part time a couple of years ago and although my balances are (grrr) exactly the same now as they were then, I own a lot more shares, so I should be even safer. But FIRE psychology is weird and I think I would feel safer with fewer shares but valued at my target number. I know it makes no sense. And I think my job would be a lot less aggravating if I weren't always thinking I'm on the verge of quitting. I have a bad attitude and I know it, and I'm really trying hard to break out of it, but it's so hard!

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #315 on: April 30, 2023, 03:23:51 PM »
Like others have stated. I too am a bit skeptical that I'll be in the 2026 class unless there is an amazing market turn around (which is always possible I guess)

When I started back in 2014 at my first post-college job, I estimated my spending (including my SO) needs at around $50k. Since then inflation has raised those needs to $60k.

This past year has been a double whammy of poor stock returns and increased prices which at the moment appears to have moved my date back a year.

I'm now considering a career change, and might go more of the coast FIRE route if I end up liking it. Looking at the numbers, even if I contribute nothing more, my current stash would be worth about 4MM around age 50. So declaring myself FIRE 2026 or 2027 may be somewhat moot if I'm a SWAMI soon either way.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2023, 09:17:59 PM »
The SP500 is up over 9% YTD -- not sure how that's slow?

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #317 on: May 01, 2023, 05:42:38 AM »

We're flat from 2 years ago. The past 2 years have basically been a flat 0%. So basically just the 1.7% dividend or so return for the past 2 years. Considering inflation averaged like 6.5%, in real terms, we're probably closer to around -10%,

This site that shows S&P 500 adjusted for inflation https://www.officialdata.org/us/stocks/s-p-500/2021?amount=100&endYear=2023

says that 2021-2023 inflation adjusted S&P return was .9% CAGR.

Pretty much any way you slice it, we've been in a market slump for a while.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: May 01, 2023, 07:11:02 AM »
I joined this cohort just over six years ago, in March 2017. I knew then that it was going to be tough for us to retire in less than 10 years, but thought there was a pretty good chance.

Since then I have gotten through a divorce and there is much less possibility. I now think it will be up to five years later, but I still want to be in this cohort, and I still want to make it in 2026. To be honest, I can't see how I can last much longer than that, I am so fed up with not being able to spend my time like I want to. I have a job I like, and I have a good life, but I don't have enough free/me time. I will continue to work towards freedom, even though I can't save as much now. However, I am lucky that I had quite a lot saved already, and my finances are in a way better after divorce, now that I can make all the decisions myself.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2023, 07:51:13 AM »

Just agreeing with other replies here, last year we were down about that much and we're still down from the 2021 high by a lot. VTI needs to get back up to $240 to be back up to where it was in December 2021, and it's currently hovering around $205. Personally, I'm considering the Total Stock Market recovered when VTI gets to and holds above $230.

So yes, the growth this year is fantastic so far, but we still need almost 12% growth to catch up to where we were 18 months ago. 

rockeTree

• Bristles
« Reply #320 on: May 01, 2023, 08:54:32 AM »
Still just a hair down from end 2021 here (less than a percent looks like, improved since I last looked), with over $100k of sand in the rathole since. It happens, but it's not a hey let's make plans vibe. A lot of wait and see for folks thinking about taking steps in the next ~5 years at a guess.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #321 on: May 01, 2023, 09:31:43 AM »

Just agreeing with other replies here, last year we were down about that much and we're still down from the 2021 high by a lot. VTI needs to get back up to $240 to be back up to where it was in December 2021, and it's currently hovering around $205. Personally, I'm considering the Total Stock Market recovered when VTI gets to and holds above $230.

So yes, the growth this year is fantastic so far, but we still need almost 12% growth to catch up to where we were 18 months ago. 
I don't think that's the right way to look at it. 2022 gave back only a portion of the '20-'21 bubble's far above-reasonable growth. We're not below normal on valuations - we're still actually slightly above the S&P's long term valuation multiples.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2023, 04:19:42 AM »

You're right, it is quiet in here.

Besides that, life is going okay. We've realized we need to sell our house and move somewhere different, but there's nowhere really calling us. The places with people we love are all in places we don't want to live, so that's been difficult. Buying a new home one selling our current one would be pretty straight forward if I had some idea of where we wanted to end up.

Work wise, things have never been better. I am in a strong position in the company, I am doing meaningful work (most of the time), and I enjoy my job.

Healthwise, I have been doing better at regimenting my eating and doing regular exercise. I really enjoy running and I LOVE running on a treadmill, but I don't have one at home, so we're going to remedy that in the next few weeks. I also like seeing progress from Bodyweight fitness and am debating joining a gym or orange theory or something similar to get some coaching and accountability. I always enjoying having worked out, but I really struggle to actually get up and do it. I'm not sure that ever goes away, from what people tell me. Some folks just have this insane inner urge to avoid exercise at all cost and I am one of them. Still, after exercising I'm happier, I sleep better, and it's easier not to overeat so I will keep searching for ways to keep me doing it.

@alcon835 you had mentioned having a big career choice upthread, I'm curious as to what you decided.

I also used to avoid exercise like the plague until I created a routine that keeps me from opting out.  I prepare everything for the early wake up and exercise the night before, and so it just happens.  At first I had to think about it, and now it's become a habit.  Furthermore, the results I see motivate me to keep going.

I hear you on not knowing where to move to.  We're still exploring options as the months tick by toward RE.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2023, 04:22:16 AM »
I think I have a classic case of so-close-but-yet-so-far and am driving myself crazy with it. Technically I would have been fine to switch to part time a couple of years ago and although my balances are (grrr) exactly the same now as they were then, I own a lot more shares, so I should be even safer. But FIRE psychology is weird and I think I would feel safer with fewer shares but valued at my target number. I know it makes no sense. And I think my job would be a lot less aggravating if I weren't always thinking I'm on the verge of quitting. I have a bad attitude and I know it, and I'm really trying hard to break out of it, but it's so hard!

@cannotWAIT Can you reframe your inner conversation?  Perhaps you could focus on feeling gratitude for past you putting yourself in this situation through previous actions.  Can you stop looking at your portfolio balances and do something you enjoy in the here & now?  What goals do you have in retirement?

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #324 on: May 08, 2023, 04:39:49 AM »

I don't think that's the right way to look at it. 2022 gave back only a portion of the '20-'21 bubble's far above-reasonable growth. We're not below normal on valuations - we're still actually slightly above the S&P's long term valuation multiples.

Well said @grantmeaname , it's all about reframing away from a particular price/anchor point.  Eyeing my portfolio graph through 2021, I can see that the slope rose well above the growth rate of the previous years.  While I've increased my contributions with inflation to stay at the retirement/tax-advantaged account max, it's clearly much more reasonable to conclude that higher valuations account for more of the portfolio growth in 2021.

Practicing gratitude, enjoying the pleasures of the moment, and remaining patient continue to serve me well as the clock ticks down.

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2023, 12:24:56 PM »
Hey 2026 peeps!

I figured I was due for a mid-year check-in.

• Stash is up roughly $58k. Markets could still do whatever they please, but I'll take the win for now.
  • Having spent more than we would've liked last year, we set our household goal for 2023 at ~$29k. Based upon that goal, through April, we projected spending ~$13k (10-day holiday in March). Actuals came in at $11,283, so we're definitely tracking ahead of our goal, which is awesome. Paying off the mortgage last year has had a huge impact on our cash outflows.

Other than that, just traveling a lot for work (SF, Dallas, Nashville, etc.), catching up on some Klosterman collections from the library, enjoying getting outside for exercise, and hoping Salt Lake doesn't flood too badly when the snow starts melting in earnest.

How are the rest of you faring one-third in?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 12:34:57 PM by lilkidjesus »

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #326 on: May 15, 2023, 08:24:21 AM »
@alcon835 you had mentioned having a big career choice upthread, I'm curious as to what you decided.

Great question! I decided to stay with my current job. I talked to some mentors, paid a career coach, and my boss gave me a promotion towards what I really want to do careerwise. All-in, the advice was "this is a new opportunity for you so you should consider staying where you are and trying out this new thing." I agreed with that logic and decided to stretch myself in the new role. That was July of 2022. Unfortunately, I've basically been doing nothing new since then. Finally, in February, I sat down with my boss and he agreed to change some things within the org to give me more responsibilities that are actually giving me experience in the career I want and that's been better.

But I'm a little frustrated that I'm not doing the things I really wanted to with the promotion. I referred a few folks to this company in Q4 of last year so my plan is to keep at this job until the end of 2023 at which point if my career path isn't significantly further along towards what I really want to be doing (management) I'm going to start putting my resume out there. For now, I'm actually pretty happy overall. I make very good money and expect no trouble hitting any of my financial goals this year (sans whatever the market decides to do), I work with really good people who are doing good work that I enjoy, and I have some time to pursue other things in life (like time with my family and friends). I'm okay with the decision I made last year, but it feels like there is a countdown ticking towards December 31st.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2023, 08:15:06 AM »
Aloha 2026 team,

I've been with you guys for almost ten years, but that's about to change! I just went through a grueling job selection process and got accepted. It is a job I've always wanted and a great place to end my career, but I'll have to stay in the military for a few more years. I am now going to retire in February 2028 instead of early 2026. I just got promoted as well with a ~$900 per month pay raise, which will also increase my pension by ~$300 per month upon retirement. Bad news: like a few others in the thread, I might get a divorce soon. However, it won't impact either of our retirement plans.

Last, I still plan to hike the Pacific Crest Trail upon retirement and will do some sailing or extended travel after that adventure. Let me know if you are interested in any of those things! All the best to each of you.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #328 on: May 29, 2023, 09:28:50 AM »
Aloha 2026 team,

I've been with you guys for almost ten years, but that's about to change! I just went through a grueling job selection process and got accepted. It is a job I've always wanted and a great place to end my career, but I'll have to stay in the military for a few more years. I am now going to retire in February 2028 instead of early 2026. I just got promoted as well with a ~$900 per month pay raise, which will also increase my pension by ~$300 per month upon retirement. Bad news: like a few others in the thread, I might get a divorce soon. However, it won't impact either of our retirement plans.

Last, I still plan to hike the Pacific Crest Trail upon retirement and will do some sailing or extended travel after that adventure. Let me know if you are interested in any of those things! All the best to each of you.

Both a happy and sad update in so many ways. Hoping the best for you and congratulations on the promotion and career advancement!

PlanetDee

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: May 30, 2023, 07:44:10 AM »
Hi all -

I want to officially throw myself into this cohort. Husband and I are planning to lean fire with around $750k liquid at the end of 2026. We will be 35. We both make middle incomes, me as a government paralegal and he as a business analyst / report developer for a healthcare company. We plan to take some time off around then at a minimum - we would love to do some slow travel around the US. DH also dreams of having some acreage to do a mini farm. So during this break we will likely buy land and build a home. We’ll likely end up back at work at some point, but will enjoy being at a lean fire number for the freedom.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2023, 05:00:46 PM »
Welcome!

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2023, 02:59:25 PM »
Hi 2026 peeps!

I just did our May spending, and it's officially our lowest spending month since 2014 (helps that our mortgage is gone as of last Oct).

$817! Definitely on track to crush our $29k goal for the year.

Milkshake

• Bristles
« Reply #332 on: June 06, 2023, 07:31:27 PM »
Hi 2026 family!

It's been a reeeaally long time since I've posted on the forum, but I wanted to come back and say I'm still on track for 2026, and today's modest market gain was enough to push me over the big $1M milestone!

I targeted 2026 as my goal 7 years ago, when I had a negative $50k NW. I don't have anyone to tell irl, but it's literally all thanks to MMM and this forum that changed my whole life, so thank you all for the incredible support and advice I've received over the years.

OttawaNeal

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • The journey is the adventure.
« Reply #333 on: June 07, 2023, 05:42:28 AM »
Hi 2026 family!

It's been a reeeaally long time since I've posted on the forum, but I wanted to come back and say I'm still on track for 2026, and today's modest market gain was enough to push me over the big $1M milestone!

I targeted 2026 as my goal 7 years ago, when I had a negative $50k NW. I don't have anyone to tell irl, but it's literally all thanks to MMM and this forum that changed my whole life, so thank you all for the incredible support and advice I've received over the years.

Wow! Congratulations on such a big milestone! 😊

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #334 on: June 07, 2023, 07:38:40 AM »
Hi 2026 family!

Such a great feeling to reach 7 figures, isn't it?   Congratulations!  Great work to get there in 7 years!

Milkshake

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: June 08, 2023, 08:22:13 PM »
Wow! Congratulations on such a big milestone! 😊

Thank you!

Such a great feeling to reach 7 figures, isn't it?   Congratulations!  Great work to get there in 7 years!

Thanks, yes it feels amazing! It's so cool to see the math in action and the compounding effect of time in the market, etc. When I first started, it kind of felt like I was just taking a big gamble!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: June 13, 2023, 07:35:57 AM »
Hi.  Save me a seat on this bus, I may have to delay out of 2025.

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #337 on: June 13, 2023, 08:06:43 AM »
Welcome!
You may get to take my place.  DW is looking at health care expenses and we aren't comfortable with the costs of her treatments.  We just got a new one for Macular Degeneration and they are intimidating. 

Protect your health!  Deal with your genetics.

The first treatment went well.  So here we go!

Must_ache

• Bristles
« Reply #338 on: June 20, 2023, 02:02:12 PM »
Time for me to join the club.  I work as an actuary and my stash is about $1.35M. 

In January 2026 I will become rule-of-55-eligible and will be able to withdraw without penalty from my 401k.  However I will probably wait until April to collect bonus money. 

The big decision for me will be if I work half-time after that for a year or two.  If I stay employed until Feb 2027 I would have another $14K in restricted stock coming to me.

I have about $50K on my mortgage (2.625%) which goes until March 2028 although if interest rates go back down I might pay it off. 

In retirement I hope to volunteer some and continue tutoring/teaching math because I enjoy it.  And more duplicate bridge tournaments and travel hacking Europe visits.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 02:04:08 PM by Must_ache »

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2023, 07:33:17 AM »
Things are really heating up in here!!

Welcome all the newcomers, congrats to those in here who are on track, and don't freak out those who are feeling behind!

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2023, 10:30:00 AM »
Mid-year check in time!

Spending:

Last year was heavier on the spending side than we like. We spent $32,520, driven by replacing our AC unit and paying for my parents insurance. So, this year we decided to make an effort to bring our spending back into a range we prefer (with a goal of $29k). As of the last day of June, we're clocking in at $11,858.57, which is far below our projections. The crazy part is, we don't feel that our quality of life has diminished at all as a result of the lower spending. Considering we will likely spend 20%+ less than last year if this holds up, I'd say spending is solidly in the plus column.

The Stash:

We ended last year at $646k, after our first drop since we started saving in 2013. With our mortgage paid off last October, we accelerated our savings. That move, as well as the the solid climb in markets that has occurred over the last six months, has us sitting at $818k at the end of June -- a 26.6% increase! That puts the stash in the plus column as well.

Fun:

We've managed a good deal of leisure time all the while.

• We spent a week with an ocean view in the PNW in March
  • I went on a cruise (my first) to Alaska with my parents in May
  • DW has been enjoying the summer off (teacher), especially with her dad moving back our way from Virginia
  • I spent four days in Sedona climbing the red rocks

All positive vibes out our way. Wishing you the same!

What are your updates halfway through the year?

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »
Time for me to join the club.  I work as an actuary and my stash is about $1.35M. 

In January 2026 I will become rule-of-55-eligible and will be able to withdraw without penalty from my 401k.  However I will probably wait until April to collect bonus money. 

The big decision for me will be if I work half-time after that for a year or two.  If I stay employed until Feb 2027 I would have another $14K in restricted stock coming to me.

I have about $50K on my mortgage (2.625%) which goes until March 2028 although if interest rates go back down I might pay it off. 

In retirement I hope to volunteer some and continue tutoring/teaching math because I enjoy it.  And more duplicate bridge tournaments and travel hacking Europe visits.

Actuaries and duplicate bridge go together well.  It was one of my grandfather's favorite games.  Welcome to the club!

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2023, 12:41:58 AM »

Welcome to the cohort!  That Rule of 55 is a nice exception, isn't it?!

I suppose if you like your job, an additional $14k is a nice bonus, it all depends on what your time spent at work competes with.

On the mortgage, financially it makes sense to hold onto it, because the rate is so damn low.  But if it provides comfort to pay it off, go for it!

Sounds like you have some great activities to retire to when the time comes.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2023, 12:45:02 AM »

Great question! I decided to stay with my current job. I talked to some mentors, paid a career coach, and my boss gave me a promotion towards what I really want to do careerwise. All-in, the advice was "this is a new opportunity for you so you should consider staying where you are and trying out this new thing." I agreed with that logic and decided to stretch myself in the new role. That was July of 2022. Unfortunately, I've basically been doing nothing new since then. Finally, in February, I sat down with my boss and he agreed to change some things within the org to give me more responsibilities that are actually giving me experience in the career I want and that's been better.

But I'm a little frustrated that I'm not doing the things I really wanted to with the promotion. I referred a few folks to this company in Q4 of last year so my plan is to keep at this job until the end of 2023 at which point if my career path isn't significantly further along towards what I really want to be doing (management) I'm going to start putting my resume out there. For now, I'm actually pretty happy overall. I make very good money and expect no trouble hitting any of my financial goals this year (sans whatever the market decides to do), I work with really good people who are doing good work that I enjoy, and I have some time to pursue other things in life (like time with my family and friends). I'm okay with the decision I made last year, but it feels like there is a countdown ticking towards December 31st.

Thanks for this update!  I'm sorry to hear that the new role hasn't provided the results you expected, and it's great that you discussed your frustrations with your boss.  It sounds as if you're positioning yourself well for future options.  Good luck!

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #344 on: July 04, 2023, 01:07:29 AM »
This is one of the quietest cohort threads on this forum, I'm quite not sure why, especially with three years to go.  Perhaps we're mostly Gen-Xers who keep our heads down and our noses to the grindstone.

Our tenants renewed for another year with a small rent increase.  We're changing property management firms because both our tenants and we were tired of dealing with a PM company that neither communicates well nor fixes the problems.

We're finally seeing some positive movement in our equity portfolios as the US economy grows slowly, inflation falls, and it seems likely that the Fed will slow or stop its interest rate increases.  During this period of rising rates, our HELOC rate has increased from 4.75% to 8.5%.  We've accepted some 0% CC offers and moved some of the HELOC debt to a margin loan at Interactive Brokers at a lower rate.  Most of the HELOC debt is personal/non-deductible amassed during our children's college studies, which are now behind us, so we've started attacking the balance.  The smaller, but tax-deductible portion comes from a necessary renovation in our rental that we'll finish paying next year.  Our tenants keep paying down our main mortgage as well.  All in all, our debt load remains very manageable at comfortably low rates.  We could pay everything off at any time, and choose to allow our portfolio to grow as we continue plowing the maximum into our tax-advantaged vehicles.

Work remains challenging for us both, and we're grateful for the approaching end of this assignment.  I have < 35 months before reaching MRA.  As I've said elsewhere, the impending pension entitlement has us eschewing bonds and maintaining a  reasonably small amount of portfolio leverage through the aforementioned debt load.

We both exercise regularly, get fresh air, and eat healthy meals.  My commitment to fitness has seen me slowly lose about 5 kg over the last 18 months and has converted much of my fat into muscle while allowing me to manage (mostly work) stress in a healthy way.  I should have started strength exercise years ago, but am thrilled with the results since starting.

Happy Independence Day to all the Americans here!  Here's my update:

Our countdown has dropped below T-33 months, and I'm trying to focus on gratitude and avoid clock-watching, a real challenge as we wind down our current assignment.

Our HELOC rate now stands at 9% and we just paid off a 0% CC loan, so we're in the market for another one.  With tuition payments in the rearview, we're focusing more on deleveraging, which increases (makes less negative) our bond allocation.  Since our portfolio has risen along with the market, we want to reduce risk.  In fact, our net worth has finally exceeded the previous high reached at the end of 2021.

We have a few individual stocks in our taxable accounts with significant capital gains, and with our incomes at high levels, I'm reluctant to realize and pay taxes on those CG.  In a perfect world, we'd reallocate more to broad index funds.  While I also believe in letting one's winners run, I could see taking some gains off the table.  I suppose I'll monitor our income and make a decision toward the end of the year, remembering that we can also choose to sell a portion of the shares - this isn't an all-or-nothing decision necessarily.

As I mentioned in the "How many Feds here hanging on for MRA" thread, I've cut back on our Federal life insurance coverage - our children have launched so our LI needs are much reduced.  We both continue to max our TSP, Roth IRA, and HSA contributions, and in light of the size of our tax-deferred portfolios, are considering moving more of our TSP contributions to Roth.

We're very much looking forward to home leave at the conclusion of this assignment - we both need to decompress and reconnect with friends and family.  We'll also have our usual check-ins with dentists, ophthalmologists, and so forth before heading out to our next post.

Must_ache

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2023, 01:01:29 PM »

That stash is now past $1.4M and I just asked my boss if I could start working 3 days per week starting in 2024.  No word yet, I think they would want to have me around for a year or three which I would be quite happy with.

I thought I needed to wait until 2026 so I could use the rule of 55 to have penalty-free access to my 401k but decided that my liquid savings, Roth accounts, deferred income, and some tutoring on the side should get me to 59.5 without too much trouble.  If I get to work part-time my pay will likely get cut in half (down to $60K) but that's fairly close to what I expect my annual spend to be anyway, and I would just stop contributing to my retirement accounts but wouldn't have to tap them yet so they could continue to grow.  We'll see what the boss says.

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
Hi Friends!

Last Saturday marked the 10th anniversary of my FIRE journey. August 12th, 2013 is the day I began to set up automated maxing of my HSA, 401(k), and IRA, all three of which didn't even exist until that day, let alone get maxed out. It's the day I started my first job making over $20k/year (it was $48k, and I felt MEGA rich).

In the last ten years of generally great markets, the liquid stash went from $0 to $850k.

It went by sooo fast.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2023, 12:10:32 PM »
Fuck yeah! Time in the market at work. Do you still feel a sense of abundance?

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2023, 04:31:03 PM »
Fuck yeah! Time in the market at work. Do you still feel a sense of abundance?

My thoughts exactly. And, yes, I absolutely do. I recognize DW and I are physically and mentally healthy, have no kids, and have hobbies that heavily include relatively free nature and the public library, but I'm still absolutely blown away at the amounts that some people report to spend each month. I am equally blown away that these same people often reportedly feel like they have no choice but to spend that much.

Primary takeaway: It pays to be boring!!! (as compared to the average person in my neck of the woods)

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #349 on: September 01, 2023, 09:51:19 PM »
I received some welcome news today - the Foreign Service promotion lists came out, and my name appeared!  Yowza!

This entails both the status of a higher rank as well as a ~7 6.46% raise, effective sometime in October November 4.

The Foreign Service Pension System formula includes the highest three years of salary, so to maximize that I could consider working through October November 2026.  However, a few months of my pre-promotion salary remaining in the three-year moving window probably wouldn't make a huge difference.  I'll run the calculators to obtain a ballpark figure to see whether it makes any sense to stay in the game that long.

In any case, our stash has grown large enough to maintain our hedonistic lifestyle, and the real benefit of Federal retirement remains the privilege of remaining in the FEHP at the employee rate.  A small needle move in my pension resulting from the higher salary merely spreads cream on top.

Edited to correct the amount of the raise and reflect the effective date.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 08:08:16 AM by elysianfields »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!