Author Topic: 2026 FIRE Cohort  (Read 133427 times)

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
Re: 2026 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »
Question for the cohort:  What are your plans after FIRE?

This is the biggest damn question. Travel for sure. Books. Exercise. Hikes. Stay involved with the community - maybe find something I enjoy more, as opposed to what I feel obligated doing. But mostly I hope that a year or so will clear my mind, and something will pop up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one looking.  If'n I had a goal, I may try to get there sooner.  As it is, I'm along for the ride and not in a hurry.  I've announced that I will be hiking come the fall.  Lady isn't a hiker, so these will be solo.  Looking at the local trails and there are several in the Piney Woods.

I might to back to the tall ships that I cut my teeth on as a kid, but I might be too institutionalized to revert back to dirty schooner rat. I like the idea of van living, for a few years. But overall, I intend to spend a lot of time fucking around with my rifle, my pony, and me. Except the rifle is a violin, the pony is a small fleet of lap dogs, and me is, uh, me.
Van living has a lot of info on utube.  I've been watching and taking notes and Lady is getting nervous.  It'd be a whole lot simpler if I was the one following the wind.  With two, the wind blows different ways and discussion ensues.

I wanted to sail the tall ships when I was younger.  Looked like an adventure.  I mean, pirates!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »

At the moment, my hope is to start a business making short form documentaries for YouTube with a friend of mine. I should have more than enough to live on and invest a few years into a small business.

Other than that? I'm not sure yet. Work on my house? Do more investing (I really like investing). Read more?

There are a lot of things I would like to explore that I just don't have time for, so my plan is to either (1) start the above business, (2) restructure my life to explore things I'm not able to now, or (3) both!

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2021, 06:50:52 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.  It sounds like, after reading a bunch, there are a few who are on a mission and are striving to the goal.  There are those of us who want a change, but willing to wait for the right time and see what opportunities are presented.  The last sort are adrift and searching.

The biggest theme is to get your head sorted and find peace.  Peace with life and partners.  I think I've made my peace, but trying to help my partner find peace.  As a team we are strong.  I'm pulling my limits in, but partner is setting up for failure and discouragement.  The getting old part is not for faint of heart.

Adventure this weekend!  DD#2 has purchased a house and I get to haul her treasures out of my house.  Claiming a little more space.  Lady is sad to see the littlest one officially move out, grow up and start on their own adventure.  I figured the wedding was the clincher, but this makes it official.  Best wishes to DD#2 and SIL.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: July 18, 2021, 03:00:20 PM »

This is the biggest damn question. Travel for sure. Books. Exercise. Hikes. Stay involved with the community - maybe find something I enjoy more, as opposed to what I feel obligated doing. But mostly I hope that a year or so will clear my mind, and something will pop up.

I'm entertaining the idea of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in '26 upon retirement. It should provide a lot of time to self-reflect since it takes upwards of 5 months. :) Maybe you could do something like that, or a shorter hike like the John Muir Trail to help clear the mind.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2021, 08:56:26 AM »

I'm entertaining the idea of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in '26 upon retirement. It should provide a lot of time to self-reflect since it takes upwards of 5 months. :) Maybe you could do something like that, or a shorter hike like the John Muir Trail to help clear the mind.

If you're not already a dedicated hiker, may I suggest the C&O canal towpath, starting in Georgetown/DC? If you get to Cumberland, MD and decide you want to keep going, the GAP trail continues all the way to Pittsburgh. I hiked the C&O as a kid, once I retire I'd like to try biking both the C&O and GAP trail.

https://www.canaltrust.org/plan/co-canal-towpath/
https://gaptrail.org/

Mini-Mer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »
I am in for getting out in 2026.  Early June, if I stay at my current job that long.  I have FU money and am at about 20x, for current best estimates of expenses.  Once I hit 25x, I plan to pay off the mortgage (which, I know, but it's also my largest monthly expense), and then exit full-time stable work. 

I'll probably do a mix of  home/garden/hobbies, travel, volunteer work, and possibly contracting in my current career.  That towpath hike looks like fun!

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2021, 05:08:26 PM »
I am in for getting out in 2026.  Early June, if I stay at my current job that long.  I have FU money and am at about 20x, for current best estimates of expenses.  Once I hit 25x, I plan to pay off the mortgage (which, I know, but it's also my largest monthly expense), and then exit full-time stable work. 

I'll probably do a mix of  home/garden/hobbies, travel, volunteer work, and possibly contracting in my current career.  That towpath hike looks like fun!
Welcome and congratulations. 

I'm getting antsy now that I'm no longer playing with the idea but ambling to the goal.  One year at a time and we will see.  I picked June since it is after the bonuses are awarded.  One last contribution and done. 

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »

In addition to hiking, I'm thinking about biking in retirement, for example, biking to all of the Trappist beer breweries in Belgium, the Netherlands, and France.  There are eight of them, nine total if you count Achel, which no longer has any living monks.  :-(  But the Low Countries lack many tall hills, so the biking should be okay, especially if one hasn't just quaffed a few Trappist beers...

Then I discovered this:  https://en.eurovelo.com/#routes-and-countries.  How about a biking tour around the Baltic Sea?

Another month checked off, 55 to go, so much to look forward to.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2021, 05:10:41 PM »

In addition to hiking, I'm thinking about biking in retirement, for example, biking to all of the Trappist beer breweries in Belgium, the Netherlands, and France.  There are eight of them, nine total if you count Achel, which no longer has any living monks.  :-(  But the Low Countries lack many tall hills, so the biking should be okay, especially if one hasn't just quaffed a few Trappist beers...

Then I discovered this:  https://en.eurovelo.com/#routes-and-countries.  How about a biking tour around the Baltic Sea?

Another month checked off, 55 to go, so much to look forward to.

Yes! I talked with someone last year who was all about doing parts of the Euro Velo. I absolutely want to do the southern half of the 1 and maybe parts of 8 and 12 as well. Unfortunately, I have a 1 year old so that might have to wait a few years before I can do that reasonably.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2021, 08:23:21 PM »
I joined this thread just over 6 months ago now, moving up from the 2028 cohort. I thought it was a big leap at that time, but feel it’s the right place now. I haven’t chosen the exact timing, but don’t think I’ll want to go past mid summer, which means I’m down to less than 5 years now! Wow, that doesn’t seem all that far away!

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
As predicted, we are now just a paycheck or two away from $1.1M in investments.

My mental state regarding my work situation has improved some, and I think after I start remote work in two weeks I'll be much, much better.

My husband's job is a total dumpster fire, but since we don't really care much about it (given our financial situation) it's been pretty easy to deal with. We are waiting to hear back from the VA about his increase in compensation. If he ends up with 100% P&T then I very much doubt his employment will continue past this year. He has a side gig that has been pretty consistent in bringing in $2,000+ a month, and with me working part-time, I'm pretty comfortable with him leaving employment. If I had to go back to work, my current employer would take me full-time, I'm sure.

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
I'm now working from home and no longer going into the office every day. Yay for that!

The state of my husband's job hasn't changed much, other than he may be made a Dean at his university. If that happens, he'll continue to work. Otherwise, this will be his last school year employed full-time at a university. I wouldn't say he's "retiring" as his side gig income is considerable--around $3,500/month so far this year. Last year it was lower---maybe $2,000 or so, but looking back through his records, he's been doing much better this year.

My husband got notice that his VA disability was increased from 80% to 90% due to worsening of one condition. He has one more condition he intends to file for an increase on, and if that is approved he will be at 100%, meaning he'll be receiving $3,500/month.

We could probably retire now and make it, but we prefer to have a solid cushion and also some money we can give our son to "get started" once he's an adult...assuming that he's responsible. But he's 7, so we'll see, haha!

Our investments have hit $1.13 million, and our net worth has been climbing rapidly all year.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2021, 07:17:58 AM »
Hi

Can I join as FI cohortee? No plans to retire early but by 2026 we should have assets to support our current lifestyle minus daycare (!!!). Once we get to 2026 we are talking about all of the glorious things we can do when the kids are older (1.5 & 4) and have enough life energy and $$$ to do as we please. We're taking about some changeups around then and planning for them, so targets may shift.

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2021, 08:00:36 AM »
Hi

Can I join as FI cohortee? No plans to retire early but by 2026 we should have assets to support our current lifestyle minus daycare (!!!). Once we get to 2026 we are talking about all of the glorious things we can do when the kids are older (1.5 & 4) and have enough life energy and $$$ to do as we please. We're taking about some changeups around then and planning for them, so targets may shift.
You can only join if you give updates.  :)
Would love to hear the plans.  Baby girl graduated college and her older sister just returned for her Master's degree, so expect the plans to be dynamic and shift as the years go by.  Nothing more fun than a moving target.

I'm still battling the frugal challenge.  DW keeps finding stuff that she needs.  I beg to differ. 

Welcome!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2021, 08:17:19 AM »
We could probably retire now and make it, but we prefer to have a solid cushion and also some money we can give our son to "get started" once he's an adult...assuming that he's responsible. But he's 7, so we'll see, haha!

Our investments have hit $1.13 million, and our net worth has been climbing rapidly all year.

Congratulations!! That's HUGE!

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
Hi

You can only join if you give updates.  :)
Would love to hear the plans.  Baby girl graduated college and her older sister just returned for her Master's degree, so expect the plans to be dynamic and shift as the years go by.  Nothing more fun than a moving target.

I'm still battling the frugal challenge.  DW keeps finding stuff that she needs.  I beg to differ. 

Welcome!
Thank you!

After having worked for our own financial benefit for the last 10+ years (and that of our kids), we feel pulled to contribute more than just money to charitable causes like homeless or hungry. We've started donating supplemental garden produce and plan on expanding that - physical and mental capability willing - to support larger donations. That doesn't seem like enough though for us, just what we can support now, so really shaping our lives to have that be our primary focus rather than just being an ancillary part of our life. That and we can also show the kids that the white collar lifestyle we have is not the same for most.

Whether that means engaging in homeless support operations, transitional housing, or simply soup kitchen / food prep support, we are still exploring that. We're planning on a brief sabbatical in a few years to help us start to engage with the various operations in the community to see where we might best fit.

We've got a ways to go though, and most of the work to get us to FI needs to be done by the stock market.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2021, 09:27:25 PM »
I guess I'll put my name on this board, too.  I think I can do it, if things keep going as they have been.  Hoping for a bit of a glide path with switching to part-time in 2-3 years, and then FIRE before the end of 2026.  Still working on getting more detailed with our annual spending to really get more detailed for planning.

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2021, 01:49:07 PM »
My goal for FIRE is 1.2 million and no debt. I tried to suggest in another post that we would get to 1 million by 2025 and 95% of the people on MMM shot me down. The consensus was that I had too much real estate and there are no more real estate deals left.

clarkfan1979 - As is often the case, the consensus is often wrong =) Hope you kept onto that real estate!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2021, 06:50:07 AM »
My goal for FIRE is 1.2 million and no debt. I tried to suggest in another post that we would get to 1 million by 2025 and 95% of the people on MMM shot me down. The consensus was that I had too much real estate and there are no more real estate deals left.

clarkfan1979 - As is often the case, the consensus is often wrong =) Hope you kept onto that real estate!

What a ridiculous idea. No more real estate deals left? I thought the MMM community was suppose to be radical.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2021, 11:49:39 AM »

What a ridiculous idea. No more real estate deals left? I thought the MMM community was suppose to be radical.

Different areas of the forum attract different people with different perspectives. I suggest starting here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2021, 12:55:08 PM »
Hi,

I'm happy to join y'all in 2026.

I plan to retire from state service at 59 with 30 years. I have been working the past few years to pay off debts and invest more. I think I could technically be called "coast fire" at this point. However, my workplace drama, makes using the word "coast" sound more pleasant than it actually is. Each week is really hard and I spend a lot of time reminding myself of how much I've accomplished and how the end is in sight. I just have to put one foot in front of another.

Next year, I'm changing to TRICARE, so there won't be any coverage gap in health insurance when I FIRE.

I have some general plans for retirement, but what I'm looking forward to is having complete control of my time. It seems that between parents, teachers, and bosses, I have always answered to someone. So, that's what I'm looking forward to.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2021, 12:58:43 PM »
Hi,

I'm happy to join y'all in 2026.

I plan to retire from state service at 59 with 30 years.

Is that the earliest you can draw the pension? In my system it generally makes little financial sense to stay in state service once you can retire directly from service to pension. Lots of folks get another job (or the same job) to get both an equivalent paycheck and the pension.

Sure, if I work another year the pension check is an extra 2.3% - at the cost of giving up 12 pension checks.

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2021, 06:05:23 PM »
Is that the earliest you can draw the pension? In my system it generally makes little financial sense to stay in state service once you can retire directly from service to pension. Lots of folks get another job (or the same job) to get both an equivalent paycheck and the pension.

Sure, if I work another year the pension check is an extra 2.3% - at the cost of giving up 12 pension checks.

Technically, you can retire at 55 with at least 25 years of service. However, the pension is severely reduced. If I FIRE'd next year (55 and 26) I would lose about 60% of what I would get at 30 years.

So, I'm trying to tough it out these last five years. It's not easy. Lots of drama.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2021, 10:03:30 AM »

Technically, you can retire at 55 with at least 25 years of service. However, the pension is severely reduced. If I FIRE'd next year (55 and 26) I would lose about 60% of what I would get at 30 years.

So, I'm trying to tough it out these last five years. It's not easy. Lots of drama.

Understood. Fortunately I'm in the "old" version of the pension - as soon as I hit "Rule of 80"* I'm good. New folks are getting something similar to you where benefits are cut noticeably if you retire early.

*Age + years of service = 80

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »

Understood. Fortunately I'm in the "old" version of the pension - as soon as I hit "Rule of 80"* I'm good. New folks are getting something similar to you where benefits are cut noticeably if you retire early.

That’s great for you! 😁 I’m definitely jealous. The only variable is separating and then retiring later.  It’s a reduction, but less so. That’s gambling that something new is better than this. That concerns me as much as the prospect of learning a new org.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2021, 11:58:12 AM »
I just returned from some PTO, during which I managed to sleep 11-12 hours most nights.  I was clearly burning the candle at both ends at work and needed a recharge.

While away, a clock somewhere struck:  I have only 4-1/2 years to go before I qualify for the pension and FEHB.

Upon my return to work, the first day started fine, I felt the vacation afterglow as I settled in, and as the day went on and I caught up on email, the sheer absurdity of some aspects of my job started to get me down again: the stupid requirements pulling me in multiple directions as the unrelentless task-conveyor piles more shit on my desk (“Welcome back!  Now I need you to do this and that and the other…”).

The golden handcuffs are real, and already having a reasonably-sized portfolio gives me a double-edged sword of satisfaction and frustration.  I want the payoff of reaching my MRA, and I’m tired of the bullshit; we’d probably be ok if I jettisoned the job now for portly-FIRE.

When this happens, I try to refocus on gratitude for our health, financial and family situation, and the great options that we enjoy; and those negative feelings burden me less.

Anyone else face similar burdens upon post-PTO re-entry?

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2021, 09:29:59 PM »
I just returned from some PTO, during which I managed to sleep 11-12 hours most nights.  I was clearly burning the candle at both ends at work and needed a recharge.

While away, a clock somewhere struck:  I have only 4-1/2 years to go before I qualify for the pension and FEHB.

Upon my return to work, the first day started fine, I felt the vacation afterglow as I settled in, and as the day went on and I caught up on email, the sheer absurdity of some aspects of my job started to get me down again: the stupid requirements pulling me in multiple directions as the unrelentless task-conveyor piles more shit on my desk (“Welcome back!  Now I need you to do this and that and the other…”).

The golden handcuffs are real, and already having a reasonably-sized portfolio gives me a double-edged sword of satisfaction and frustration.  I want the payoff of reaching my MRA, and I’m tired of the bullshit; we’d probably be ok if I jettisoned the job now for portly-FIRE.

When this happens, I try to refocus on gratitude for our health, financial and family situation, and the great options that we enjoy; and those negative feelings burden me less.

We did a 6-month sabbatical in an RV with DDs 14 and 10 from Feb-July of this year.  Going back to work was really weird, as I had been essentially living the retirement life, then back to full-time.  It was truly a shock, but only at first.  For the most part I really do like my job; I do help people, and enjoy having a valued skill set.  Plus, I like my team.  So that helped a lot: focusing on the positives of work.  Overall, though, the sabbatical taught me that retirement suits me well.  It strengthened my resolve to make it happen within the next few years.  I want my time to be greedily mine!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2021, 06:37:22 AM »

That’s great for you! 😁 I’m definitely jealous. The only variable is separating and then retiring later.  It’s a reduction, but less so. That’s gambling that something new is better than this. That concerns me as much as the prospect of learning a new org.

Thanks. Even the old pension is a pretty raw deal if you don't put in a significant number of years.

On your "gambling" comment - for me it's about having the investments to bridge the gap between "I retire" and "I can draw the pension". I have no plans on needing to work for pay in between. I've got plenty to do with the nonprofit I started up.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2021, 07:15:37 AM »

We did a 6-month sabbatical in an RV with DDs 14 and 10 from Feb-July of this year.  Going back to work was really weird, as I had been essentially living the retirement life, then back to full-time.  It was truly a shock, but only at first.  For the most part I really do like my job; I do help people, and enjoy having a valued skill set.  Plus, I like my team.  So that helped a lot: focusing on the positives of work.  Overall, though, the sabbatical taught me that retirement suits me well.  It strengthened my resolve to make it happen within the next few years.  I want my time to be greedily mine!

I am seriously debating a sabbatical, but I doubt my job would be okay with it. I have enough money to afford it, but I would be giving up a significant number of stock options at a start up to leave. I also like what I'm doing and see a bright future with the organization.

But man, I really want a taste of the FIRE life. haha.

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2021, 07:59:41 AM »
Officially joining this cohort from 2022. Got a great job offer at a great company with a great fit that will allow DW and I to live extremely well forever at the end of my initial 4.5 year deal so likely summer 2026 unless the company gets bought and everything accelerates with vest. At least I was able to negotiate starting with 5 weeks of PTO!

Current age: 39
Retirement age: 44
Current NW: $1.75MM
Expected NW at retirement: $3.5-$4.5MM
Expected annual expenses in retirement: $80k/yr or $55k/yr with no mortgage (w/ ~$15k annual travel budget)
Expected annual income at retirement: $150-$175k in rental income from $2M Real estate NW (let equity investments continue to grow)

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »
Officially joining this cohort from 2022. Got a great job offer at a great company with a great fit that will allow DW and I to live extremely well forever at the end of my initial 4.5 year deal so likely summer 2026 unless the company gets bought and everything accelerates with vest. At least I was able to negotiate starting with 5 weeks of PTO!

Expected annual expenses in retirement: $80k/yr or $55k/yr with no mortgage (w/ ~$15k annual travel budget)
Expected annual income at retirement: $150-$175k in rental income from $2M Real estate NW (let equity investments continue to grow)

Welcome to the club and congrats on the new gig!

That's quite the portfolio you have & are putting together.  Is your RE mostly in Charlotte?  I've heard it's a good & growing RE market but not at the crazy SF/DC/NYC/SEA levels.

What are your mortgages like, and are you planning to refi just before you bail to restart the 30-year clock?

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2021, 06:39:07 AM »

Welcome to the club and congrats on the new gig!

That's quite the portfolio you have & are putting together.  Is your RE mostly in Charlotte?  I've heard it's a good & growing RE market but not at the crazy SF/DC/NYC/SEA levels.

What are your mortgages like, and are you planning to refi just before you bail to restart the 30-year clock?

Thanks! They are all in the Carolinas, mostly Charlotte area but not all. Mortgages range from non existent (paid off), to 2.75% 5 year ARMs to 3.25% 30 yr fixed. I have 3 more I can get a credit union with low rates then switch to buying them as “second home” mortgages - at my income I still easily qualify without any rental income. Will depend on rates in a few years on my ARMs but doubt I’ll refi the fixed

CLT is a great rental market, especially the southern half into SC - also great place to live
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:42:11 AM by magus »

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2021, 10:45:36 AM »

I am seriously debating a sabbatical, but I doubt my job would be okay with it. I have enough money to afford it, but I would be giving up a significant number of stock options at a start up to leave. I also like what I'm doing and see a bright future with the organization.

Yeah, it was really affirming.  My workplace hadn't had a policy on sabbaticals, but now does.  So when I hear from people (at work), "That's so great, I wish that I could do that," I say, "you can."  For my much younger colleagues, especially, I take the opportunity to tell them, "be frugal and invest your money.  Don't let lifestyle creep get you, and you can do this.  It's a gift of being a relatively high earner in a good company." But most people don't really hear me.

One interesting thing has happened in the last month.  I have realized that my work is more satisfying since returning.  My little wins each day or week are more meaningful and satisfying than before the sabbatical, and the little inconveniences leave less of a dent on my day.  I'm wondering if MBA types have studied workers' productivity after sabbaticals.  Could be a beneficial thing for companies to promote!

regenaeb

• Stubble
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2021, 03:09:24 PM »
Still sticking with the 2026 cohort. Hubby didn't get promoted this summer like we expected, which he freaked out about. I on the other hand sat down and crunched the numbers and informed him we are still fine. Even if he doesn't get promoted next summer and he is booted (military officer, if passed over twice for promotion you are kicked out) we will be fine. He still will have a great pension as he will have 34 years of active service at retirement date, which means over 80% of base pay is what he will receive. We can cover all our bills and my part time job will cover our twins college living expenses in the years form 2026-2030. I am not worried about in the least. He on the other hand, big time worrier. He has never been passed over before and has always gone above and beyond for his job. But at the next rank they only make 60% or less each year, the numbers get tighter and tighter with every promotion. I am cool with being done, he is not. It's kind of like a prisoner that is "institutionalized". He has been active duty since 17 years old, this life is all he knows. He is nervous about looking for a job at 52 years old. I get it, but he really only needs to get a job making keys at the local Lowes. Just something to fill his time. Because he cannot be home with me all day, climbing the wall.

My plan is still to work until May 2026, this is the time my twins graduation high school. I will turn 50 that February. At that point I am going to take the summer off and travel, do what I want to do when I want to do it. That fall I will start substitute teaching in our local schools for part time money. I will still have all holidays off and the summers off. I can make enough to pay my twins college room and board. We already have their tuition and fees paid for (thank you Florida College Prepay). I will let my investments do what they are going to do and will not need to touch them until much later in life.

I just negotiated a big pay rate increase with the company I do contract work with. I plan on investing every penny in my retirement accounts and continuing to live off my previous budget/money. Keep on keeping on.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2021, 09:11:56 AM »
So, an officer with 34 years in who has never before been passed over for promotion is likely to be an O-8 (2 stars) since a fast-track officer should be O-6 at 22 years.

Pay scale I'm seeing is $16k/month base pay - and pay scale barely increases after O-8. In a year with 35 years of service he should be getting $14k/month, plus good medical and lifetime inflation adjustments to the pay.

Financially this should not be an issue, even with putting 2 kids through college - and that's completely ignoring your income which would cover college and likely a bit more.

As a reference, $14k is around 4x our budget.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2021, 12:08:24 AM »
Still sticking with the 2026 cohort. Hubby didn't get promoted this summer like we expected, which he freaked out about. I on the other hand sat down and crunched the numbers and informed him we are still fine. Even if he doesn't get promoted next summer and he is booted (military officer, if passed over twice for promotion you are kicked out) we will be fine. He still will have a great pension as he will have 34 years of active service at retirement date, which means over 80% of base pay is what he will receive. We can cover all our bills and my part time job will cover our twins college living expenses in the years form 2026-2030. I am not worried about in the least. He on the other hand, big time worrier. He has never been passed over before and has always gone above and beyond for his job. But at the next rank they only make 60% or less each year, the numbers get tighter and tighter with every promotion. I am cool with being done, he is not. It's kind of like a prisoner that is "institutionalized". He has been active duty since 17 years old, this life is all he knows. He is nervous about looking for a job at 52 years old. I get it, but he really only needs to get a job making keys at the local Lowes. Just something to fill his time. Because he cannot be home with me all day, climbing the wall.

My plan is still to work until May 2026, this is the time my twins graduation high school. I will turn 50 that February. At that point I am going to take the summer off and travel, do what I want to do when I want to do it. That fall I will start substitute teaching in our local schools for part time money. I will still have all holidays off and the summers off. I can make enough to pay my twins college room and board. We already have their tuition and fees paid for (thank you Florida College Prepay). I will let my investments do what they are going to do and will not need to touch them until much later in life.

I just negotiated a big pay rate increase with the company I do contract work with. I plan on investing every penny in my retirement accounts and continuing to live off my previous budget/money. Keep on keeping on.

Great update, and congratulations on the pay raise!  I love that you're sending those additional green workers straight to the factory (your retirement and investment accounts) to produce even more.

Remember that a military retirement includes TriCare in addition to the pension, a great benefit!

Has your husband read any of @Nords blog, The Military Guide ?  In addition to answering any questions your husband has, Doug might also calm his nerves about departing his military career.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2021, 12:27:28 AM »
Still sticking with the 2026 cohort. Hubby didn't get promoted this summer like we expected, which he freaked out about.
He on the other hand, big time worrier. He has never been passed over before and has always gone above and beyond for his job.
I am cool with being done, he is not. It's kind of like a prisoner that is "institutionalized". He has been active duty since 17 years old, this life is all he knows. He is nervous about looking for a job at 52 years old. I get it, but he really only needs to get a job making keys at the local Lowes. Just something to fill his time. Because he cannot be home with me all day, climbing the wall.
Has your husband read any of @Nords blog, The Military Guide ?  In addition to answering any questions your husband has, Doug might also calm his nerves about departing his military career.
Thanks, @elysianfields!

Let me know how I can help, @regenaeb.  This seems like more of a lifestyle question than a financial one.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2021, 06:00:27 AM »

While I'd love a taste of the FIRE life, I think going back to work after a sabbatical would be extremely difficult for me personally - I would dread the return to the office - and professionally as well, as I work in IT support.  The tools we use change so rapidly that a few months away would cause my skills to atrophy.  I do definitely enjoy helping people get their technology working, so another point of gratitude I keep in mind.

Checking my portfolio, we've experienced a large increase in value YTD (including contributions) of more than 20%, after 30+ % gains in CY2020.  I don't expect similar gains going forward - I'd be happy with 5% p.a. from here on out - and am astounded at the progress we've made in the last almost two years.

On another front I've made some great progress in some dietary (less meat, cheese, and fat; more salads, legumes, & olive oil) and exercise habits (nearly every day - a mix of weights, cardio, yoga, and hiking).  DW and I have also consciously planned our menus better, bringing in more lunches from home, which helps the budget.  Consequently I've slimmed down quite noticeably, though I haven't dropped much weight.  Perhaps I'm transforming body fat into muscle, which would account for my slow weight reduction.  Anyway, I'm feeling better and stronger.  Maybe I'm outgrowing my inner bookish geek finally?

Keep on keeping on.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2021, 08:21:19 AM »

While I'd love a taste of the FIRE life, I think going back to work after a sabbatical would be extremely difficult for me personally - I would dread the return to the office - and professionally as well, as I work in IT support. The tools we use change so rapidly that a few months away would cause my skills to atrophy.  I do definitely enjoy helping people get their technology working, so another point of gratitude I keep in mind.

Checking my portfolio, we've experienced a large increase in value YTD (including contributions) of more than 20%, after 30+ % gains in CY2020.  I don't expect similar gains going forward - I'd be happy with 5% p.a. from here on out - and am astounded at the progress we've made in the last almost two years.

On another front I've made some great progress in some dietary (less meat, cheese, and fat; more salads, legumes, & olive oil) and exercise habits (nearly every day - a mix of weights, cardio, yoga, and hiking).  DW and I have also consciously planned our menus better, bringing in more lunches from home, which helps the budget.  Consequently I've slimmed down quite noticeably, though I haven't dropped much weight.  Perhaps I'm transforming body fat into muscle, which would account for my slow weight reduction.  Anyway, I'm feeling better and stronger.  Maybe I'm outgrowing my inner bookish geek finally?

Keep on keeping on.

I did this. I took a year off about 4 years ago (Actually closer to 11 months). I remember the first month I was back in the office I kept having these moments of dread and that far away feeling you get thinking "I can't believe I'm in an office again".

Part of that was a bit of culture shock after moving back from Africa, but another was just that the company that I started working for was so much worse than I thought it would be. The people were great, but the company underpaid me from the start (I had to push them just to match my last salary). Once I changed jobs about 6 months after that, things really turned around. I'd say that it took about 3 months though for that feeling of dread to go away.

Today, I like my job. Though I'd say that I'd probably prefer that I was really only part-time. I think 60% would be great long-term. Enough to do to stay busy, but real weekends and possibilities to do something else. Perhaps I can do that before 2026, but it's always tough to figure out health insurance going part time. So I want to be in a better position before doing something like that. Much easier to ratchet down than back up.

semiretired31

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »
I like hearing from older people in this group. Many times, I feel like us young ones (like me) are overly optimistic about our expenses and how life is going to go for us. Plenty of people on this board would tell me it's time and we have enough. And I think there's a good chance they are correct. However, I'm not willing to risk it just yet. We have a lot up in the air right now, and maybe next year is our year. And maybe it's not. So, I'm planning on 2026 as my worst-case-scenario, which is not bad at all. I will be 40.

I went back to work last week, after 8 years at home. It has been incredibly challenging emotionally. I'm sticking it out for now, because I feel odds are high I've got a bad case of return-to-work syndrome...almost like a super-late return from maternity leave. I've been horribly depressed for week, but I figure if I'm still that way in a month then I can always quit. I've been working in the office for now, but they understand I need to be at home/remote when school starts again in the fall.
Everyone chooses their own path.  I sat around wondering how everyone else was making it.  Then I found out they made more than me and I got a better paying, easier job.  Should have done this MUCH sooner.  It's true that you must negotiate.  I was offered a 20% raise to stay.  The offer was 25% + bonus + better health, matching, stock purchase.  No competition and I'd mentally left because of the time suck.  I like to think I left a vacuum.  They have turned over staff a LOT since I left.  Good people and I wish them well.

I'm glad you have the option of working or not.  Try it, you might like it.  If you don't, try something else.  Good luck with the depression.  I was burnt out when I left the previous job and went into a tailspin after I left.  Set goals.  Keep focus.  Breathe.  Smell the flowers and hug.  Hug the family the mostest.  Other selected individuals as deemed worthy.

I've got the most free time since college and that makes me want more.  Retirement = freedom. 

In truth, I'm looking forward to more grandkids, but not rushing anyone here.  That will be the deciding factor on where (maybe when) things get settled.  DD#1 starts graduate school in the fall and is deciding on when to kid.  DD#2 has selected cats.  We'll visit her.  Short visits as I'm allergic.

Love this. Not even in this cohort. This made me chuckle.

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2021, 06:15:32 AM »
Love this. Not even in this cohort. This made me chuckle.
Please elaborate and I'm glad you chuckled.  Feel free to join and teach us something new.  I've still got a lot to learn.

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2021, 08:18:25 PM »
Tonight I read through all of my posts in this thread. It's been over 5 years since I first posted about our plans. Things have changed a lot since then. Our plan is coming together.

My husband's job is still a dumpster fire, but whatever! This year's contract runs out in 6 months, and we can make do until then. My husband will be working a new 100% remote job after this. In the meantime we are stacking cash in I bonds in order to grow our cash savings. Since he won't have the protection of being in a non-fireable job anymore, we want to have a heavier amount of cash than what we currently do.

My husband's VA disability is still sitting at 90%. We are waiting on a few other conditions, but it's possible it will go up to 100%. Even if it's not approved, I'll be pretty content with our situation. We will be mobile, we have a nice house in an affordable location, decent health, and life is good. I'm looking forward to 2022.

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: December 30, 2021, 06:33:30 AM »
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  Has COVID changed any of your plans? Some forums I read, people are working longer now until they pull the plug.  Others used the telework time and decided enough was enough.

Plans are still in motion on my end, as I’m still looking at 30JUN2026 as my date to call it quits.  COVID really didn’t change much for me aside from making my 401ks/TSP much better. However; with that, there is now an opportunity to likely do the same gig as a Tech, making really good money for a few extra years-and working at home.  I have the opportunity to build this NOW and structure the program so the job would be fairly easy and non-stressful.  But I’m really not sure I wanna make a commitment to that.   Obviously nothing is a guarantee; but it would be stupid money pulling that, military pension and VA Disability all at once.   Something to consider for sure. 

Either way; I think things are tracking for the house to be paid off even earlier than I anticipated.  A large pay raise is on the way.  And I’m getting my health back.  Hope you all are doing well

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #243 on: December 30, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
@Huskerfan , well I AM considering work longer, but not sure it’s exactly COVID…but the inflation rate makes me wonder how much more money we’ll need to maintain a basic lifestyle.

I want to stop working between the date my yearly bonus is paid out and before the start of summer, so if I can’t do that by mid-June of 2026, I’ll likely push out to that timing in 2027.

I actually negotiated a nice pay raise in 2021 and have hit a goodgroove in terms of work, so I wonder how I’ll feel as we approach 2026.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #244 on: December 30, 2021, 05:04:18 PM »
I hit my overall goals for the year, so I'd say I'm on track. at 31% of my FIRE goal, but I should be able to dramatically increase that number over the next few years.

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  Has COVID changed any of your plans?

To answer your question, I hadn't put it together until now... but yes, COVID has changed my FIRE plans. Originally DW and I were planning on staying in our current home (and city) post FIRE. COVID completely changed that. We learned a lot of hard truths about the people and groups we are a part of...things I wish we never learned. It really soured us to a lot of the locals and killed a lot of the future we thought we had here. Our new plan is to explore the US (and maybe parts of South America) looking for a second home. If we find one, we'll buy a second house and live there part of the year. That'll give us a "home base" near family in current city and a new home to explore and enjoy away from our baggage back home. Long term, we'll either rent or sell our current house if we no longer want to live in it part time.

COVID also impacted my career quite a bit. I put a lot of chips into my current company several years ago. When I originally joined I expected us to sell or get acquired mid-to-late 2022,but there's no shot of that happening. COVID hit us pretty hard and we allowed some important things to fall behind our competition. Leadership is in the process of fixing what's been broken, so I'm going to stick around another six months and see if we can put things back on track. We're also close to a significant round of funding which would open a lot of doors for us. If we get the additional investment and we can fix what's broken, then 2022 could be an exceptionally good year for me financially. I'm going to re-access in July.

Either way, I am still on track for July 2026 FIRE, but COVID had a real impact on how I planned to get there and what I thought that life would look like.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:18:34 PM by alcon835 »

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2021, 10:29:11 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and put myself on the list for Class of 2026 - mostly likely April.

There's some chance it will be earlier, unlikely to be much later.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #246 on: December 31, 2021, 12:09:21 PM »
Best as I can tell, we're still on track for that.

I have a spread sheet where I've been tracking tracking a FIRE goal of 50k in retirement in 2015 dollars. So now that's around 54k today or 1.35MM in today's dollars.

We're about 60% of the way there, might even be able to make it 2025, though 2026 is the safer bet still. With the great year for investments I think the date moved from late 2026 to early 2026.

I'm also considering a job change that might slow it down to 2027 or 2028 (slightly lower pay for a few years and moving to HCOL city), but if that doesn't work out, I might move to a LCOL area with my current job that would almost certainly put FIRE in 2025.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #247 on: December 31, 2021, 03:51:30 PM »
Has COVID changed any of your plans?

Yup, COVID changed my plans. I finally realized that not only was I going to die, I could actually die at any time. I decided to stop postponing a few important things. Thus, I got a dog in Jan of 2020, instead of waiting until after I retire.

His name is Gabe, he is a Yorkie, and he was free from the rescue! He has since cost me so much money. I won’t even admit how much, but its in the 5 figures. I’d say never take a free dog, but he’s the best thing I’ve got going right now.

Here’s a pic, so all y’all can also bask in how fucking adorable he is.

More seriously, I think COVID kinda broke me. I’m still holding out for the golden handcuffs, but I’m also starting therapy, and on some anti-anxiety drugs. I’ve spent two years trying to make policy without information, inside a pressure cooker that’s at first too slow, then too reactive, then too slow. I’m going to see what 2022 brings, and if the medical community can help me even out mentally. If not, I might have to pull the plug early.

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #248 on: December 31, 2021, 09:41:43 PM »
Has COVID changed any of your plans?

Yup, COVID changed my plans. I finally realized that not only was I going to die, I could actually die at any time. I decided to stop postponing a few important things. Thus, I got a dog in Jan of 2020, instead of waiting until after I retire.

His name is Gabe, he is a Yorkie, and he was free from the rescue! He has since cost me so much money. I won’t even admit how much, but its in the 5 figures. I’d say never take a free dog, but he’s the best thing I’ve got going right now.

Here’s a pic, so all y’all can also bask in how fucking adorable he is.

More seriously, I think COVID kinda broke me. I’m still holding out for the golden handcuffs, but I’m also starting therapy, and on some anti-anxiety drugs. I’ve spent two years trying to make policy without information, inside a pressure cooker that’s at first too slow, then too reactive, then too slow. I’m going to see what 2022 brings, and if the medical community can help me even out mentally. If not, I might have to pull the plug early.

Gave us cute as hell!  A worthy investment.

Let’s talk about that last part for a second.  You aren’t alone. Out of all things, please remember that.  You aren’t alone.  The last two years have been absolutely horrendous for the mental well being.  Even for strong peeps; this stuff can easily break them. Even worse; help is hard to come by as all of the psychiatrists are swamped with new patients like you and myself that are needing help. Just remember you have peeps to talk to.  I struggled for about a year until we just started having some weekly chats at work.  A lot of us were not able to get professional help, but the old fashioned support groups are very helpful. 

regenaeb

• Stubble
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2022, 10:14:07 AM »
So, an officer with 34 years in who has never before been passed over for promotion is likely to be an O-8 (2 stars) since a fast-track officer should be O-6 at 22 years.

Pay scale I'm seeing is $16k/month base pay - and pay scale barely increases after O-8. In a year with 35 years of service he should be getting $14k/month, plus good medical and lifetime inflation adjustments to the pay.

Financially this should not be an issue, even with putting 2 kids through college - and that's completely ignoring your income which would cover college and likely a bit more.

As a reference, $14k is around 4x our budget.

Sorry been a while since I was on this forum. My DH started as an E-1 at 17 years old. He worked his way up to E-6 then made warrant. After being a warrant for 1 year he applied and was accepted into direct commission officer, they brought him in as JG (O-2), from there he has worked his way up to O-4. Since he started on the enlisted side many moons ago, he is not as far as an OCS, direct commission, academy grad. would be at 34 years of service. He laughs because he currently has more active duty years of service then the admiral that is command of his district. Right now he would get about $ 7500 a month before taxes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!