Author Topic: How to overcome procrastination so it's not a last minute rush? (ie: taxes)  (Read 592 times)

FIREin2018

• Bristles
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)

I usually start my taxes and do enough to get an estimate of how much i owe or get back.
Then file an extension.
But last year, i waited till almost oct 15 to finish my taxes. :(

I either don't remember or when i do, something else looked like a better option like an afternoon nap.

What do you do to overcome procrastination so it doesn't become a last minute crunch?

vand

• Handlebar Stache

I usually start my taxes and do enough to get an estimate of how much i owe or get back.
Then file an extension.
But last year, i waited till almost oct 15 to finish my taxes. :(

I either don't remember or when i do, something else looked like a better option like an afternoon nap.

What do you do to overcome procrastination so it doesn't become a last minute crunch?

I use a little trick I learnt called "discipline."

Kris

• Walrus Stache
When I have a task that I think of as unpleasant or overwhelming, I break it into smaller tasks, or smaller time periods. So, for something like taxes, I might set aside 15-30 minutes on consecutive Saturdays to get different 'stages' of it done by a certain deadline.

I am a list-maker, so putting a small task on my daily list that I have to either cross off or move to the next day gets me to do the thing.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Try to did into why a particular task gets postponed. Then you can address the root cause.

Is it boring? Set a reward for finishing it.

Does it seem too difficult? Break it into smaller tasks that aren't so daunting.

Are you afraid you're going to owe money? Next year, fix your withholding so you won't owe. You won't want to give the government an interest-free loan all those extra months, right?

Are you dealing with ADHD? Look into strategies specifically for people with ADHD, as trying to power through and "just do it" doesn't work.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
When I have a task that I think of as unpleasant or overwhelming, I break it into smaller tasks, or smaller time periods. So, for something like taxes, I might set aside 15-30 minutes on consecutive Saturdays to get different 'stages' of it done by a certain deadline.

I am a list-maker, so putting a small task on my daily list that I have to either cross off or move to the next day gets me to do the thing.

I use this same technique. Break it down to the smallest element required to reduce my mental barrier to doing SOMETHING.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
I have some tips, I’ll post them later.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
I maintain the appropriate focus to get stuff done and avoid hanging out on forums like this and other distraction time-sucks. 

Hmmm, I feel like I had something to do.....woops, better get back to that report I need to get done. 

Was there another question...

Crap, get back to the report!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Try to did into why a particular task gets postponed. Then you can address the root cause.

Is it boring? Set a reward for finishing it.

Does it seem too difficult? Break it into smaller tasks that aren't so daunting.

Are you afraid you're going to owe money? Next year, fix your withholding so you won't owe. You won't want to give the government an interest-free loan all those extra months, right?

Are you dealing with ADHD? Look into strategies specifically for people with ADHD, as trying to power through and "just do it" doesn't work.

This. Very few people actually like doing taxes. If you're getting it to point where you know the amount due/refund, that means you're almost done. There is no rational reason to file an extension just to not do it for months.

No extensions allowed. Finish and file.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
If there is ever a thing in my life that I'm thinking about doing and also know I'm procrastinating on I just go ahead and do it so I don't have to think about it anymore.

Everything either gets done or forgotten about, because I don't enjoy thinking.

Ann

• Bristles
I started making a “to do” list for each day.  I just use the Notes app in my iPhone.  I use the bullet points so I can get the satisfaction of checking them off.  I always start with simple, easy tasks so I get “momentum”.  Literally the first item on my list some days is “Wake up”. 

I also like to break tasks down into small individual steps.  I don’t list “laundry”, I list “wash laundry”, “dry laundry”, “hang/fold laundry” and “put laundry away” because it really is 4 actions, not one.

Another suggestion is asking a friend to hold you accountable.  This can get sticky.

Sometimes having someone over so you can independently working on projects together.  They come over and do something and you work on your thing.  Set a predetermined amount of time and then have dinner or watch a movie.

And lastly it’s okay to reach out for help.  This will get me a face punch to suggest, but it’s okay to use a tax pro.  I think if you are looking at filing late or paying someone, then just pay someone.  Or set a date: “if I don’t get this done by this date, I will use a tax pro”.  H&R Block will tell you how much they will charge before you begin, so you would not be a surprise.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to overcome procrastination so it's not a last minute rush? (ie: taxes)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 06:47:25 PM »
For taxes, I put a reminder in my calendar for a day that's early enough to give some extra time. Then if I don't feel like doing it that day, I move the reminder to a later day.

But honestly I get all my tax stuff together as soon as the software & forms are available. And I plan tax strategy for the next couple of years in spreadsheets. So I'm kind of always doing taxes. I used to hate doing them, but now I kind of enjoy them because they've become part of the fabric of my life, and strategizing feels like playing a game and winning cash prizes.