Author Topic: 2023 Chevy Bolt  (Read 31543 times)

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
2023 Chevy Bolt
« on: November 23, 2022, 01:01:00 PM »
Hey everyone.  I thought I'd start a thread about this vehicle for a few reasons:

1) Chevy Bolt is currently(prior to 1/1/2023) not eligible for any federal tax credit.
2) When the IRA goes into effect 1/1/2023, the Chevy Bolt *may* be eligible for partial federal tax credit of $3750.
3) With current base price of $28,035 when equipped with the optional heated seats and steering wheel(an almost necessity for cold weather driving/range), the partial tax credit brings the cost down to $24,285.  I'm not aware of any fairly new car(even 1-3 years old) that is a better value than this, especially when factoring in lower maintenance and energy costs.

I'm researching a car to buy in January and this is on the top of my list.   I don't need one until March at the earliest but don't want to be stuck without when the need arises in case of inventory delays.  So I'd like to pull the trigger first week of January.

I've ruled out the Leaf because I think the charging is even worse than the Bolt and range is a bit lower.  Every mile counts IMO on these cars that have barely adequate range as is other than local commuting.

I've ruled out Tesla since their cheapest option is $40,690 *after* the full $7500 tax credit.  The Bolt actually has longer real world tested range.  $17k is WAY too big of a spread for a car that has less range.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2023 Chevy Bolt
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 01:59:11 PM »
Having owned both, a Model 3 and a Bolt aren't in the same league - there's more to the price difference than the range alone.  That said, a new Bolt at MSRP with a tax credit is an utter bargain.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 02:06:18 PM »
We're also looking at the Bolt or possibly a used Volt, which should be eligible for the used car tax credit.

It's too bad the Prius will no longer be eligible. The 2023 is a much better looking car compared to previous years and the EV range is enough for us around town.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 02:13:08 PM »
Bolts seem like a terrific deal. I've read more than a couple of complaints about seat comfort, so be sure to sit in one for awhile before buying if you can. Also, the max charge rate is slower than many new EVs which can make long distance trips more time consuming if/when you make those. As long as you're aware of those potential drawbacks, I'd say they're likely to be a great car for a long time for those who own them.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 02:31:46 PM »
The Bolt is one EV I have my eye on for the future, as is the Hyundai Kona EV, which gets consistently good reviews, especially for the price.

Any car will have drawbacks. You just have to figure out which drawbacks affect you and which don't.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 04:16:41 PM »
Bolts seem like a terrific deal. I've read more than a couple of complaints about seat comfort, so be sure to sit in one for awhile before buying if you can. Also, the max charge rate is slower than many new EVs which can make long distance trips more time consuming if/when you make those. As long as you're aware of those potential drawbacks, I'd say they're likely to be a great car for a long time for those who own them.

Will definitely test drive one first, but what I've read and seen is that the older models weren't great as far as seat comfort, but that the newer ones have made changes and upgraded the seats and are now quite good.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 06:19:56 PM »
Based on my son's recent experience with the Nissan Leaf and the new IRA tax credit, our prediction is that the price of any vehicle you might buy immediately after 1/1/2023 because of a tax credit will increase in price on 1/1/2023 by nearly the full amount of the credit.

In other words, the dealer takes most of the credit for themselves.

May be different due to the changing landscape with the IRA rules and various cars qualifying etc., but that was what we saw.

Weathering

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »
Why do you think the Bolt will only qualify for half of the IRA rebate on 1/1/2023?

I’m in the market for a Bolt (on 1/1/2023) even considering ordering one now with hopes it gets delivered in January. But, I’m hoping fir the full IRA rebate.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 05:39:35 AM »
Why do you think the Bolt will only qualify for half of the IRA rebate on 1/1/2023?

I’m in the market for a Bolt (on 1/1/2023) even considering ordering one now with hopes it gets delivered in January. But, I’m hoping fir the full IRA rebate.

It has to do with the requirements for eligibility:

According to a report by Electrek, GM doesn’t yet have the capability to meet the full $7,500 tax credit that’s going into effect on January 1st, 2023. As of that date, GM EVs will only qualify for half the credit. GM is currently working to source battery minerals for the Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Bolt EUV, as well as Ultium batteries, domestically. As the Detroit-based automaker is planning to launch new 30 electric vehicles by 2030, it must take advantage of the tax credit in order to reach more customers.

“We think, out of the gate, we’re going to be eligible for the $3,750, and we’ll ramp to have full qualification in the next two to three years, getting up to the $7,500.” said GM CEO Mary Barra.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/10/gm-electric-vehicles-wont-be-eligible-for-the-full-tax-credit-yet/

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 06:54:58 AM »
In favor of the Leaf, it has been in production longer, has more cargo room, gets the full tax credit and isn't made by GM, haha.  Tough decision for sure.  Have you compared prices of used cars?  A five year old Leaf with under $20k miles is about $18k.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 07:55:21 AM by GilesMM »

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 07:06:19 AM »
Another data point I'm looking at if I choose to be a bit more spendy pants.  Fully loaded 2LT trim with radiant red paint upcharge, leather seats, heated seats and steering wheel, premium Bose stereo with subwoofer, adaptive cruise control, etc, i.e. everything, is $31,260 or around $33,500 out the door with taxes, so net of around $30k if eligible for 1/2 the tax credit.  Still a darn good deal for brand new EV with a bit of luxury added in.

I checked 2023 Hyundai Kona pricing...base price is over $41k to get heated steering wheel.  That's really a shame as heated seats and steering wheel are, for me, a basic requirement for EV's.  It allows you to keep the interior cabin temp much cooler and still feel warm, and this will have a significant impact on range and efficiency in cold weather.  Cheapest possible Kona EV is $34,845(plus taxes) so about $37,340 for me.  It does have heated seats but not steering wheel, with is only available on the highest trim.  This puts it $7,000 higher than the top of the line fully loaded Bolt factoring in the tax credit.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 07:11:44 AM »
If favor of the Leaf, it has been in production longer, has more cargo room, gets the full tax credit and isn't made by GM, haha.  Tough decision for sure.  Have you compared prices of used cars?  A five year old Leaf with under $20k miles is about $18k.

5 year old 150 mile range Leafs are showing around $23,000 as a "great price" within a couple hundred miles of me.  150 mile range is a hard stop for me.  And price is way too high.  The 215 mile range used Leafs are closer to $30k with what I'm seeing.  You must be in a great market for used EV's?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 08:11:48 AM »
I have a 2022 Bolt EUV and love it. It's surprisingly roomy inside for how small it looks outside. I find the seats to be comfortable, and I love the heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel (though using them does decrease the range). The only thing I don't love is the infotainment system, which I find difficult to use, but that's not a huge factor for me.

Home charging is also pretty slow (about 11 miles per hour with a level 2 charger), but that hasn't been much of a problem since I don't drive a ton. I've only used a fast charger once, but it seemed reasonably fast - maybe 40 minutes.

One thing to be aware of is that you might not get one for MSRP. Around here, dealers are still charging markups for pretty much everything, and I've heard there have been tons of people preordering the 2023 Bolts.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 08:43:21 AM »

May I ask why you are focused on electric vehicle purchase?

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 09:11:20 AM »

Certainly! 

1) In the past, my car buying strategy has been purchasing a 3 year old, low mileage car coming off lease for roughly half the price of a new car, and driving for a really long time.  With the current car market, buying a used vehicle no longer makes financial sense as 3 year old cars are still selling at or above new car prices.  Going older to get a bargain used car doesn't make sense to me now either.  Ten year old fuel efficient cars with 100k miles are going for $15k.  This has pushed me into the new car market for the first time.  We currently only have one car but will need a 2nd vehicle possibly as soon as March.  We are traveling healthcare workers so we need good, dependable cars that can dependably travel 100's of miles when changing assignments.  This also rules out a true "beater/clunker" type car. 
2) I like the value proposition offered by a low priced EV such as the Chevy Bolt i.e. the ten year cost to operate the car....no oil changes, no engine maintenance, no brake maintenance costs, no transmission or transmission fluid etc etc etc.
3) I like the cleaner, green energy and lower environmental impact.
4) I'd like to go solar in 2023 which will significantly add to the value of owning an EV, and make solar even more financially beneficial.
5) I love the idea of never paying for energy for the rest of my life i.e. solar power for cars, heating, cooling, electric, cooking, etc.
6) I own one EV and really enjoy how quiet it is, and the convenience of never stopping for gas.  Plugging in a couple times a week is super convenient.
7) I like that I am not helping make oil companies rich.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 09:38:02 AM »

Certainly! 

1) In the past, my car buying strategy has been purchasing a 3 year old, low mileage car coming off lease for roughly half the price of a new car, and driving for a really long time.  With the current car market, buying a used vehicle no longer makes financial sense as 3 year old cars are still selling at or above new car prices.  Going older to get a bargain used car doesn't make sense to me now either.  Ten year old fuel efficient cars with 100k miles are going for $15k.  This has pushed me into the new car market for the first time.  We currently only have one car but will need a 2nd vehicle possibly as soon as March.  We are traveling healthcare workers so we need good, dependable cars that can dependably travel 100's of miles when changing assignments.  This also rules out a true "beater/clunker" type car. 
2) I like the value proposition offered by a low priced EV such as the Chevy Bolt i.e. the ten year cost to operate the car....no oil changes, no engine maintenance, no brake maintenance costs, no transmission or transmission fluid etc etc etc.
3) I like the cleaner, green energy and lower environmental impact.
4) I'd like to go solar in 2023 which will significantly add to the value of owning an EV, and make solar even more financially beneficial.
5) I love the idea of never paying for energy for the rest of my life i.e. solar power for cars, heating, cooling, electric, cooking, etc.
6) I own one EV and really enjoy how quiet it is, and the convenience of never stopping for gas.  Plugging in a couple times a week is super convenient.
7) I like that I am not helping make oil companies rich.

It's helpful understand your thought process. I suspect used car prices will drop significantly by late next year, but it's purely speculation on my part and time may prove me wrong.  The present market is crazy! I'm not sure where you live, but it may not hurt to shop outside your state as well.  It's an additional headache, but sometimes you can save a significant amount by the inconvenience of a road trip. 

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 09:50:01 AM »
I request a pre-order for a 2023 Chevy Bolt with the following options:
2LT trim:               $28,800
Radiant Red paint: $495
Infotainment:        $595
Adaptive CC:         $375
Freight:                 $995
Total:                  $31,260

I'll update with the process.  I'd like to take a look in person and test drive.  The other configuration I need to decide on would be a 1LT with just the heated seats and steering wheel with a total cost of $28,035.  It gives up the red paint, leather seats, premium sound system, and adaptive CC and is the cheapest option I would consider buying.

These are prices before taxes and fees(i.e. doc fee, tags, registration, license etc) and before any tax credits.  I also get $750 state tax credit in PA.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 10:04:20 AM »
I didn’t realize the Bolt had maintenance-free brakes. Do they not wear?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 10:16:50 AM »

They're not maintenance free but regenerative brakes will easily last 120k miles.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 07:26:36 AM »

They're not maintenance free but regenerative brakes will easily last 120k miles.

Technically, regen braking is done in the electric motors of an EV (or PHEV). There are no "regen brakes". Because the motors slow the car, the mechanical friction brakes aren't used as much.

Mechanical brakes are still used to hold the vehicle in stopped position, and for sudden stopping situations. The lack of overall use can actually lead to some issues and maintenance or repairs though. It's not uncommon for brake rotors to get rusty when they're used very little. Caliper slides, etc can lose their lubrication and get stuck when they're not exercised often. When brakes are used predominantly in emergency slowing situations, they're more likely to warp rotors or leave heavy pad deposits which can lead to a shudder when applying the mechanical friction brakes.

I love 1 pedal driving, and always choose the option for heaviest regen braking in my PHEV, but EVs do still need some level of maintenance and repair of their mechanical brakes.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 07:36:20 AM »
The brakes on my EV get used VERY lightly at least twice a day when parking.  I think this is enough to keep them moving freely but without causing any substantial wear.  I expect to go 100-200k miles before needing pads.  In other words, they won't require the normal routine replacement of pads and rotors like ICE cars do.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 08:25:09 AM »
The local dealer that I indicated on the order request for my Chevy Bolt contacted me.  They said they require a $500 deposit and it will take 6-8 months for the car to come in.  Nothing I'm seeing is indicating that kind of lead time.  Time for plan B

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 08:49:19 AM »
The local dealer that I indicated on the order request for my Chevy Bolt contacted me.  They said they require a $500 deposit and it will take 6-8 months for the car to come in.  Nothing I'm seeing is indicating that kind of lead time.  Time for plan B
I would keep sending out requests to as many dealers as you can, and when you respond to their initial email lay out exactly what you want. You'll probably have to repeat this over and over, as they don't really listen but rather try to sell you what they have.
Eventually you will (hopefully) find one that will work with you.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2022, 09:03:06 AM »
They don’t have a Bolt in stock, so I don’t think there was any ulterior motive. I guess I’d rather them be conservative/realistic with time frame than take my money, promise a short lead time and not be able to make good.  I poked around online just a little and it does seem like lead times are potentially quite long.

At this point, I’ll probably wait until the last week of the year, find what I want within driving distance and purchase off the lot as long as it’s MSRP

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2022, 09:18:02 AM »
I request a pre-order for a 2023 Chevy Bolt with the following options:
2LT trim:               $28,800
Radiant Red paint: $495
Infotainment:        $595
Adaptive CC:         $375
Freight:                 $995
Total:                  $31,260

I'll update with the process.  I'd like to take a look in person and test drive.  The other configuration I need to decide on would be a 1LT with just the heated seats and steering wheel with a total cost of $28,035.  It gives up the red paint, leather seats, premium sound system, and adaptive CC and is the cheapest option I would consider buying.

These are prices before taxes and fees(i.e. doc fee, tags, registration, license etc) and before any tax credits.  I also get $750 state tax credit in PA.

DH finds that the adaptive CC is his favorite feature. ;)

Have you considered flying out to CA, and then driving one home? CA seems to be the mecca for EVs.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2022, 10:14:22 AM »
I could challenge you that heated seats and steering wheel are requirements for cold weather living.  I lived in Germany, where we saw highs below freezing occasionally, and never had either. Wear some warm driving gloves if you need to. 

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2022, 10:22:43 AM »
I could challenge you that heated seats and steering wheel are requirements for cold weather living.  I lived in Germany, where we saw highs below freezing occasionally, and never had either. Wear some warm driving gloves if you need to.

These features allow one to get much better real world range in cold weather.  It uses *FAR* less energy to warm the seat and steering wheel than it does to heat the entire cabin to a comfortable temperature.  Warming the hands and body directly in this manner allows for a much lower cabin temp which extends range considerably.  Don't get me wrong, heated seats and steering wheel are very nice in and of themselves, but the main benefit in an EV is extended cold weather range.  Since EV range is *significantly* effected by cold weather, it makes these features quite important.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2022, 07:09:57 AM »
An impressive data point I found on the new Bolt was a 70 mph range test done by Insideevs.  Driving at a constant 70 mph while using A/C, they got 260 miles of range.  In my Kia Niro, my efficiency drops 10-15% when increasing speed from 63-70.  So at 60-65 the Bolt would likely do 300 miles, although this is not *useable* since no one wants to drive until the car dies.  But it means you could get around 250 miles of useable range on a highway trip with plenty of cushion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4iJKNYZ-G8

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2022, 07:39:43 AM »
An impressive data point I found on the new Bolt was a 70 mph range test done by Insideevs.  Driving at a constant 70 mph while using A/C, they got 260 miles of range.  In my Kia Niro, my efficiency drops 10-15% when increasing speed from 63-70.  So at 60-65 the Bolt would likely do 300 miles, although this is not *useable* since no one wants to drive until the car dies.  But it means you could get around 250 miles of useable range on a highway trip with plenty of cushion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4iJKNYZ-G8

Edmunds got 278 miles (7.3% better than EPA rating) in their mixed city/highway range test too:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html#chart

afox

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2022, 11:03:30 AM »
for those concerned with range in cold weather, you could install a diesel heater in your EV. they are cheap nowadays, you can even get one with a cellular remote that you can turn on to warm the car up before you get in.

Another issue with the cold weather is charging. The batteries cant be charged when they are below freezing so if you store the car outdoors in a cold climate you have to take this into account. Most EVs warm the batteries before charging them but this takes a while and consumes electricity. not a show stopper or anything but something to be aware of.

there are aftermarket steering wheel warmers too...problem with gloves is you cant operate a phone or even car touch screen with them, not that im texting while driving but simply navigating or listening to music, etc...

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »
On the pre-order thing, I have been on the list for a 2022 prius prime since August, and I also had to put down a $500 (refundable) deposit.  Now that details about the 2023 prius prime have come out, I would much prefer to just wait for the 2023 model with the increased electric range, so I'll have to talk to the dealership about that.  I'm not even sure they're available for pre-order yet, though. 

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2022, 09:50:34 AM »

These features allow one to get much better real world range in cold weather.  It uses *FAR* less energy to warm the seat and steering wheel than it does to heat the entire cabin to a comfortable temperature.  Warming the hands and body directly in this manner allows for a much lower cabin temp which extends range considerably.  Don't get me wrong, heated seats and steering wheel are very nice in and of themselves, but the main benefit in an EV is extended cold weather range.  Since EV range is *significantly* effected by cold weather, it makes these features quite important.

That is an interesting consideration I hadn't thought of, but my main concern would be the temperature of the windshield. Doesn't the inside of your windshield frost up by doing this?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2022, 10:35:35 AM »

I wasn't suggesting you heat the entire car instead.  I was more suggesting you put on some gloves and don't heat the steering wheel.  For the entire car, I kept a lap blanket in my car in used that, and found that I really didn't need to run the heat much at all.  I can maybe see the argument that heated seats would reduce overall car heat use, but the steering wheel seems entirely unnecessary. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2022, 10:37:58 AM »
for those concerned with range in cold weather, you could install a diesel heater in your EV. they are cheap nowadays, you can even get one with a cellular remote that you can turn on to warm the car up before you get in.

Another issue with the cold weather is charging. The batteries cant be charged when they are below freezing so if you store the car outdoors in a cold climate you have to take this into account. Most EVs warm the batteries before charging them but this takes a while and consumes electricity. not a show stopper or anything but something to be aware of.

there are aftermarket steering wheel warmers too...problem with gloves is you cant operate a phone or even car touch screen with them, not that im texting while driving but simply navigating or listening to music, etc...

Gloves with the ability to operate touch screens are super easy and cheap to buy.  This pair is $11 on Amazon, and I'm sure there are cheaper versions, too. 

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2022, 02:39:34 PM »
The best I can do to talk you out of the Bolt would be to put it up against a Prius. In 2023 a new model Prius comes out that looks a lot better than the old one. Also, I expect unemployment and recession concerns to start percolating around February or March. Those two factors together will result in a lot of old-style 2022 Priuses sitting on the lots of nervous dealers. That will be an opportunity to pounce and make a below-MSRP offer.

According to Edmunds TCO, the 2022 Prius LE has a 5-year expected cost of ownership of $32,252 in my area. That's within a margin of error of the $31,862 cost to own the Bolt 1LT. Your price negotiations should make up that difference, because there's a much wider band of prices paid for the Prius: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/compare/Toyota-Prius-vs-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV_d15_d2397#section-used-price

The Prius might be more convenient for you if you want to not worry about range anxiety or if you'd like another 11 cubic ft of trunk space or if you don't need the Bolt's extra leg room.

Final point: All signs indicate we have a recession coming within the next two years. That means both dealers and individuals might soon be desperate to unload new and used inventory. If you can eek by a little longer, the bargains may come to you.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2022, 07:37:17 AM »
Regarding the discussion of heated seats/steering wheel vs paying a little bit less for a car without those options and bundling up instead.

Here's my take.  The heated seats/steering wheel option usually adds around $12-$1400 to the cost of a base model EV from what I've seen.  What I have found having these options accomplishes, IMO from having owned and driven an EV in cold weather, is that keeping the body warm with the seats and the hands warm with the steering wheel goes a long way towards making you feel comfortable without having to keep the cabin heat at 70 degrees, which saps an enormous amount of range from an EV.  This also allows myself and my spouse to travel comfortably when driving long distances without dressing for arctic conditions.  If it's 20 degrees out and I don't use heat, I'll need thick wool socks, warm boots, long johns, jacket, hat, gloves, etc.  Since I'm sitting doing nothing, its not easy to stay warm even if dressed warm with this type of cold weather exposure.  No thanks.  I'm not going to be miserably cold every time a drive in order to improve range and efficiency.  The heated seats and steering wheel are worth far more than the cost of the option when factoring in real world usability which includes being reasonably comfortable while greatly increasing range.  Increased range is a VERY important consideration for today's EV's.

For most, not having these options will result in decreased range and efficiency in cold weather.  It is possible however, to spend less without sacrificing range if one is willing to be cold when driving.

Part of my opinion in this matter is likely due to my personal strategy in life of *luxurious* frugality.  A nice toasty warm steering wheel and seat feels *amazingly* luxurious, and probably saves more than it costs over time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:49:17 AM by UltraStache »

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2022, 07:42:28 AM »
The best I can do to talk you out of the Bolt would be to put it up against a Prius. In 2023 a new model Prius comes out that looks a lot better than the old one. Also, I expect unemployment and recession concerns to start percolating around February or March. Those two factors together will result in a lot of old-style 2022 Priuses sitting on the lots of nervous dealers. That will be an opportunity to pounce and make a below-MSRP offer.

According to Edmunds TCO, the 2022 Prius LE has a 5-year expected cost of ownership of $32,252 in my area. That's within a margin of error of the $31,862 cost to own the Bolt 1LT. Your price negotiations should make up that difference, because there's a much wider band of prices paid for the Prius: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/compare/Toyota-Prius-vs-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV_d15_d2397#section-used-price

The Prius might be more convenient for you if you want to not worry about range anxiety or if you'd like another 11 cubic ft of trunk space or if you don't need the Bolt's extra leg room.

Final point: All signs indicate we have a recession coming within the next two years. That means both dealers and individuals might soon be desperate to unload new and used inventory. If you can eek by a little longer, the bargains may come to you.

I think the top three options I am considering at this point are:
2023 Bolt.  Cheaper than Prius after rebates, lower cost to own over time, 100% green with Solar. No gas, oil, engine, transmission.
2023 Prius Prime.  Increased range, looks really good, superb efficiency and superior road trip capability.  Gas, oil, engine, transmission.
2017 Chevy Volt.  Does some things better than the Prius i.e. better daily range which IMO is a bigger benefit than the occasional road trip benefit of the Prius.  $4000 rebate makes it half the price of Prius. i.e. around $15k.  Not as efficient as Prius on a long trip but closer to full EV for daily driving.

I can wait until March at this point to buy a car.  It's possible I won't need a 2nd car until later in the year but won't know that until February or early March.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:53:31 AM by UltraStache »

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2022, 06:19:50 AM »
I think the EV range on the new Prius Prime will actually be fairly close to the Volt.  Assuming a more aerodynamic car, the ~13kW battery should go 45-55 miles with efficiency in the 3.5-4 miles/kW range.  I get that in my less aerodynamic Kia Niro.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2022, 06:29:37 AM »
I thought the Prius Prime no longer qualified for the tax credit.  Is it just that much cheaper than the Bolt?

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2022, 06:41:46 AM »
No, will probably be similar in price, or perhaps cost a bit more.  I'm just considering all options at this point.  Bolt is still the top contender for me.  Also, just placed an order for Tesla solar.......

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »
I'd start checking real-world prices before you get your hopes up.

I was looking at a Leaf a few months back.  Between there only being premium models available and dealer markups, the cheapest I could find one was $44k.  No thank you.

Hopefully the Bolt is more available in a broader range of trims. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2022, 08:26:19 AM »
I'm also excited about the 2023 prius prime, but if you need to buy a car in March, I'm not sure they will be available by then, or easy to get, anyway, even if they are for sale.  I do like the point that the 2023 release will probably push down the price of the 2022 prius.  However, good luck finding those right now, too.  There are not piles of 2022 priuses sitting around en masse in dealer lots around here.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2022, 09:10:48 AM »
I'm also excited about the 2023 prius prime, but if you need to buy a car in March, I'm not sure they will be available by then, or easy to get, anyway, even if they are for sale.  I do like the point that the 2023 release will probably push down the price of the 2022 prius.  However, good luck finding those right now, too.  There are not piles of 2022 priuses sitting around en masse in dealer lots around here.

We couldn't even get on a waitlist for the 2022 prius prime when we tried a few months ago. They wouldn't take a deposit!

We did get on a waitlist for Bolt, but they seem to only have the EUVs with upgraded trim available and we want the EV without upgrades so we're still waiting.

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2022, 12:10:17 PM »
I'm searching in a reasonable radius around where I live and seeing a decent number of 2023 Bolts available.  Try checking within 200 miles range i.e. a few hours drive but no charging stop required.  Finding base models and well equipped at MSRP.  There are some that are marking up as well.

Weathering

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 01:55:05 PM »
Is it looking like, in 2023, there will be a larger tax credit for a used Bolt than a new Bolt?
I’m hearing that a new Bolt purchase will get a $3750 tax credit (half te $7,500 max) and a used Bolt purchase will get a $4,000 tax credit (the full used EV tax credit).

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2022, 02:02:14 PM »
That sounds right. That $4k tax credit will be especially juicy for something like a used $12-$18,000 Chevy Volt

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2022, 02:10:15 PM »
when equipped with the optional heated seats and steering wheel(an almost necessity for cold weather driving/range)

I've lived and driven in Canada my whole life . . . and for a good chunk of that I was living in Northern Ontario where temperatures regularly dipped below -40 for months at a time and if you didn't plug in your block heater you weren't going to get your car to start because the antifreeze would all freeze up.

I've never, ever considered heated seats and a heated steering wheel important for cold weather driving.  Which part of the deep artic do you live in?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »
when equipped with the optional heated seats and steering wheel(an almost necessity for cold weather driving/range)

I've lived and driven in Canada my whole life . . . and for a good chunk of that I was living in Northern Ontario where temperatures regularly dipped below -40 for months at a time and if you didn't plug in your block heater you weren't going to get your car to start because the antifreeze would all freeze up.

I've never, ever considered heated seats and a heated steering wheel important for cold weather driving.  Which part of the deep artic do you live in?

I suspect for that entire time, you were driving ICE vehicles where heat was an inevitable byproduct of the combustion process (e.g. free).  It's more efficient for an EV to keep its occupants warm directly than it is to heat air for the entire cabin.

Unless, of course, you drove without heat entirely - in which case you are more hardcore than most.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »
If I bought a new car in 2023 it would be a chevy bolt, for several reasons...

For strictly economic reasons though a 15 year old corolla off craiglist may still be a better deal for someone who does not drive many miles per year.

YMMV

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!