Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 401935 times)

friedmmj

• Bristles
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #900 on: February 09, 2021, 07:27:05 AM »
That’s exciting.  I’ve got something similar in mind but the timing is uncertain with regard to selling the house because we’ve got two college kids at home and I want to get them launched over the next 2-3 years.  What city is the apartment?  What areas are you considering for your later move?

We're in the Boston area currently, and the default location for moving would be a smaller New England city, such as Manchester or Concord, NH, Portland, ME, or similar, but a lot will depend on where our kids end up. At the moment, they seem to be focused on Boston, so we're moving along the default path.

It's exciting right?  Like being on the cusp of a whole new adventure in life and not knowing exactly where it will take you but eager to start the journey!

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #901 on: February 09, 2021, 11:47:53 AM »
I am cautiously putting myself here for 2022 --- not sure when I am thinking sometime after May - June.

I have money but with the way things are right now and how I came to have the money - inherited - I just need to stay with work  to have health insurance and interactions with people so I don't become a hermit.  Also the court has to sign off on everything so it's a waiting game on that as well. With working with my tax person to make sure things won't go belly up when doing distributions and tax liability for the next few years.

I plan on moving to a different state and since I am unable to travel to check things out I am just going to wait until I call it quits. I figure on moving in the next few years.

Steveray7071

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #902 on: February 11, 2021, 01:53:52 PM »
Joining!  date is 6/13/2022..  Will be 37.. Goal is 175K in 401k, 50k cash, paid off house, 10 rental houses netting 15k/yr after split with business partner & expenses, 15k/yr from VA and 26k/yr expenses

Currently:  31yrs old, 85k in 401k, 200k owed on house (house worth 330k) 4 rental houses, 15k/yr VA, Current savings rate is .55% or about 45k/yr and should increase about 3k/yr

Short some details, but that's the short version of my plan (still some gaps to fill).

Still tracking to the 2022 timeframe (might go later this year if I can't hold out) - Goals are vastly different as I sold all rentals, paid off house and invested heavily in REITs and broad market (VOO).

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #903 on: February 12, 2021, 04:51:20 PM »
2022 cohorts, it's been great, but I'm leaving you.  You made me think it was possible when it was so far away from what I had expected. 

I just gave notice yesterday and I have 29 days left.  I'm sorry I couldn't stick it out with you until 2022.  My work actually started to get fun lately.  But like an abusive relationship, I know the fun's just temporary and it will go back to sucking soon.  So I'm breaking away! 

I'll probably start getting very nervous in the next month, so I'll be around...

Good luck to all and thank you 2022 cohorts!!!  (Now I need to introduce myself to 2021 cohorts or to the FIRE group)  (never thought I'd get there)

Very nice!   I was hoping you weren't going to say you are pushing the date out beyond 2022.  How did you suddenly come to this decision?  Was there some event or incentive driving the specific timing?

It really was pretty sudden.  I've been planning for such a long time, but still thought a 2022 date was a stretch.  There were a few things that tipped me over the edge. 
1.  Fear that someone else was going to announce leaving the department and then I would feel too guilty too leave because backfilling two positions would be so difficult, whereas my work can be spread among 4 existing staff members without anyone getting overloaded.
2.  The realization that I live on less now than my 4% planned SWR.  And it's unlikely that I would spend too much more in FIRE
3.  Mortality.  COVID has made me realize I need to enjoy my time alive.  I haven't caught it, but am fearful that if I do, it won't be easy for me due to pre-existing conditions.
4.  Family.   My sister has way more money than I do, and we had always planned on growing old together like the old spinster sisters on the Waltons.  Her husband is older, so he'll likely be gone first.  If I run out of money when I'm 90, my sister will either care for me, or she will have left me a bit of money to stretch for my future.  I don't mean this as a cop-out, but really, I think running out of money is a very remote chance.  However, I am SO risk-averse, that I probably wouldn't ever FIRE unless I use her as a fall-back. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #904 on: February 13, 2021, 03:42:56 AM »
Congrats BlueHouse, very happy for you!

Asauer has been posting in here since the start in 2015.

I found some others on page 1, who are still active in the forum, but don't think have posted in this thread recently: Clean Shaven, Gray Matter, marty998, RWD, nereo, and FIreDrill. Most of them appear to have a very healthy net worth right now. Not sure if they already retired or still plan to retire soon.
If you @ them in the message they will get pinged ;)

Example: @Clean Shaven @Gray Matter @marty998 @RWD @nereo @FIreDrill

Hmm... I never got the ping... perhaps I just missed it and it goes away after a while.

I can't believe I posted in this thread in 2015. I doubly can't believe it was 2012 when I joined the forum. Madness.

Lots has happened -

- a couple of real estate purchases, one to help out a family member who I then sold it to, and then another last year - a beautiful one which I decided not to move into because the thought of cleaning three bathrooms made me cry! $42,000 a year rent is great, but the bathrooms are the real reason ;)

- there's been some good stockmarket gains, mostly all from a basic Australian Index Fund. I've missed the tech bubbles and the WSB type fun. I know from experience that most people will advertise the one winner and quietly hope no one notices the ten losers.

- several promotions at work. I'm good at what I do. Most accountants would run a mile from complex multinational consolidations but I eat that shit up breakfast and then do it again for lunch with group tax accounting. I don't have to worry about job security, I have masses of holiday time banked, my boss appreciates me and my team respect me. I really couldn't ask for more in that regard, and I'm happy now after the most recent promotion this month to stay at the level where I'm at (two rungs below CFO). The pay rise was eyepopping, but I see it as a reward for efforts over the past 15 years , not just the past year.

- I discovered running! And Parkrun <3, and marathons, and just simply trying to be better than the day before. Running has helped me lose weight and get in shape, get my ass off the couch, and generally make me feel better about myself. The satisfication of setting new PR's every year is immense :) My best 5k time has gone from 28 mins to just under 22 now.

I have a higher net worth now then I ever thought I would have back then, and technically I'm well past FI*. But life hasn't really happened, and honestly it would be a little lonely if I pulled the plug on work. The stache is on autopilot / easy street, the money just keeps rolling in. I just wish I had someone to share it with. I can't quite put my finger on it... normal people find their crowd, meet their match... it just doesn't seem like it's going to ever happen for me.

And that makes me a little sad. Because I'd never be able to spend down all of the stache on myself.

*You can't eat bricks in Australia - our rental yields are too low, so I'd have to rejig the portfolio into equities where I could live off dividends. But then the leverage disappears, and why ruin a good thing when rates are 2.5%?

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #905 on: February 13, 2021, 07:18:17 AM »
2022 cohorts, it's been great, but I'm leaving you.  You made me think it was possible when it was so far away from what I had expected. 

I just gave notice yesterday and I have 29 days left.  I'm sorry I couldn't stick it out with you until 2022.  My work actually started to get fun lately.  But like an abusive relationship, I know the fun's just temporary and it will go back to sucking soon.  So I'm breaking away! 

I'll probably start getting very nervous in the next month, so I'll be around...

Good luck to all and thank you 2022 cohorts!!!  (Now I need to introduce myself to 2021 cohorts or to the FIRE group)  (never thought I'd get there)

Very nice!   I was hoping you weren't going to say you are pushing the date out beyond 2022.  How did you suddenly come to this decision?  Was there some event or incentive driving the specific timing?

It really was pretty sudden.  I've been planning for such a long time, but still thought a 2022 date was a stretch.  There were a few things that tipped me over the edge. 
1.  Fear that someone else was going to announce leaving the department and then I would feel too guilty too leave because backfilling two positions would be so difficult, whereas my work can be spread among 4 existing staff members without anyone getting overloaded.
2.  The realization that I live on less now than my 4% planned SWR.  And it's unlikely that I would spend too much more in FIRE
3.  Mortality.  COVID has made me realize I need to enjoy my time alive.  I haven't caught it, but am fearful that if I do, it won't be easy for me due to pre-existing conditions.
4.  Family.   My sister has way more money than I do, and we had always planned on growing old together like the old spinster sisters on the Waltons.  Her husband is older, so he'll likely be gone first.  If I run out of money when I'm 90, my sister will either care for me, or she will have left me a bit of money to stretch for my future.  I don't mean this as a cop-out, but really, I think running out of money is a very remote chance.  However, I am SO risk-averse, that I probably wouldn't ever FIRE unless I use her as a fall-back.

I'm following BlueHouse's Lead...OLYing to the 2021 cohort.   My main reasons are:
1. DH is firmly leaving at end of April, 2021. I want to have more fun too!
2. Work has become less and less interesting to me (giving far less F's)
3. We really have enough. It would be nice to have a little more padding, but it's not essential. We'll be fine.
4. I'm totally 100% zoomed/webexed/skyped'ed out.  Can't take the corporate gibberish any longer (and I work for corporate).

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #906 on: February 13, 2021, 10:00:44 AM »

I'm following BlueHouse's Lead...OLYing to the 2021 cohort.   My main reasons are:
3. We really have enough. It would be nice to have a little more padding, but it's not essential. We'll be fine.
4. I'm totally 100% zoomed/webexed/skyped'ed out.  Can't take the corporate gibberish any longer (and I work for corporate).

Congratulations to the converted OLY crowd!  Awesome news.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #907 on: February 13, 2021, 02:05:02 PM »

Congratulations to the converted OLY crowd!  Awesome news.
This is fantastic @Need2Save .  I have had so many fears and carried so much anxiety around for so many years and with this decision, I feel none of that.  I am positive I can make it work and I am positive it's the right decision and the right time.  I hope you feel that same sense of peace that I do. 
Good luck and enjoy life!!

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #908 on: February 17, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »
Congrats to those moving to 2021 cohort!  Its great watching peoples plans come to fruition and encouraging to see people realising they perhaps don't need as much in the stashe as they initially thought.

welcome @shadesofgreen!

I started my 12 month management job this week and although its been really busy (a restructure announced on Monday morning!) I am actually really enjoying being busy and useful again. I'm also aware the novelty will probably wear off at some point soon with all the change thats ahead.

My wage went up by 10% with this job promotion but yesterday my manager, without any discussion with me, sent the paperwork back to HR  increasing it to 20%!!  So that will boost the savings rate this year.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:46:43 AM by lollylegs »

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #909 on: February 23, 2021, 07:48:15 PM »
I will be retiring exactly one year from today.  It feels strangely symbolic to begin the “final lap” tomorrow. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #910 on: February 23, 2021, 07:52:51 PM »
I will be retiring exactly one year from today.  It feels strangely symbolic to begin the “final lap” tomorrow.

YAY!

We tend to make really big decisions pretty quickly. At this point, all we have agreed to is moving back onboard the boat next year.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #911 on: February 28, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »

YAY!

We tend to make really big decisions pretty quickly. At this point, all we have agreed to is moving back onboard the boat next year.

Awesome.  Are you blogging or youtubing about your boat life?  Would love to read or learn more!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #912 on: February 28, 2021, 04:43:34 PM »

YAY!

Since we aren't monetized, we mostly blog when the mood strikes. Right now, we are juggling a couple of projects, so there will hopefully be updates soon. However, the canvas guy told us "3 weeks" when we gave him a deposit in mid December, so who knows.

Awesome.  Are you blogging or youtubing about your boat life?  Would love to read or learn more!

https://svseastory.wordpress.com
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:28:28 AM by ixtap »

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #913 on: March 03, 2021, 07:14:27 AM »
- I discovered running! And Parkrun <3, and marathons, and just simply trying to be better than the day before. Running has helped me lose weight and get in shape, get my ass off the couch, and generally make me feel better about myself. The satisfication of setting new PR's every year is immense :) My best 5k time has gone from 28 mins to just under 22 now.

A 21.x 5k time is very good!  Congrats!

Not that I'm any expert, but since you're feeling lonely, maybe when covid is over you can take the time to do meetup groups, or even make an extra effort to talk to people in the parkruns.  Not saying that you'll find a SO (assuming that's something you'd want) but maybe you'd find more completeness with new friends?

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #914 on: March 10, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
2022 cohort had fallen to the second page; we can't have that!

My wife and I are in our late 30's / early 40's with two boys 6-and-under.  We are planning to RE in January of 2022.  Let's see how things go!

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #915 on: March 10, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
I'm retiring end of Feb-2022.  Now that we're under a year from that I get to celebrate the "last" time for everything that occurs on an annual cycle.  First up, this weekend is the last daylight savings time "Spring Ahead" clock adjustment before retirement!  Next up.... Monday's last "Ides of March" lol.   

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #916 on: March 10, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »
I'm retiring end of Feb-2022.  Now that we're under a year from that I get to celebrate the "last" time for everything that occurs on an annual cycle.  First up, this weekend is the last daylight savings time "Spring Ahead" clock adjustment before retirement!  Next up.... Monday's last "Ides of March" lol.

I love that idea of having mini-celebrations to mark time throughout the year!  I'm considering buying one of these countdown timers :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GBYRYYV
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:37:36 AM by 2KidFIRE »

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #917 on: March 10, 2021, 11:16:06 PM »
Greetings class of 2022!

I thought I might be in the 2021 class, but with some recalculation after the sale of a rental I'm thinking maybe OMY. I'll be following along with you guys. If there's no recession, then 2021 is still do-able. The timing mostly depends on health care and the next election outcome. Once there's single payer (or dropping the medicare age so we're eligible), we can be FI pretty much right away. We're 59 and 58 now.

By 2026, we'll both be 65,  so any earliness in retirement for us is just based on budgeting pre-medicare.

We're 60 now, and I'm still full time at work, but might go to half time this year?
Lots of 2021 expenses anticipated, so still hoping 2022 will be possible.  I think so!
We'll know a lot more in about 6 months. We're very close to FI now but would like to be more securely 'there'.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #918 on: March 12, 2021, 06:46:10 AM »

I love that idea of having mini-celebrations to mark time throughout the year!  I'm considering buying one of these countdown timers :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GBYRYYV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Someone in another thread had a great idea.  She made herself a paper chain for her last year and had a blast taking links off of it all year.  I’m so happy to be on the last lap.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #919 on: March 12, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
I found some others on page 1, who are still active in the forum, but don't think have posted in this thread recently: Clean Shaven, Gray Matter, marty998, RWD, nereo, and FIreDrill. Most of them appear to have a very healthy net worth right now. Not sure if they already retired or still plan to retire soon.

Reporting in!  My retirement plans have changed quite dramatically.  In 2017, I quit my job running a non-profit to go back to school.  I spent a year doing master's level pre-reqs and then applied to a doctoral program.  As luck would have it, six days after getting my acceptance letter, DH got laid off.  First time in 24 years of marriage that either of us has ever been laid off, and terrible timing too, since I had quit my job.  We went from always having been a dually-employed couple to both being unemployed.  It was stressful.  DH wanted me to drop out of the doctoral program without even starting it, but I held fast, and we ultimately ended up selling our "dream" home and buying a smaller house in a more modest neighborhood with the equity.

Fast forward a few years...we are very happy in our smaller home and I am neck deep in a doctoral program.  Not a fiscally sound decision, but absolutely what I want to be doing.  I never thought I'd be retraining for another career in my 50s--I expected to be retiring!  But the great thing about having planned an early retirement is that we had the assets to weather unemployment and make a drastic and expensive career change.  The agreement is that when I go back to work (in about 3 years), then DH will retire.  I have no idea how long I'll work in my new career--I anticipate working at least ten years, or until age 62, and then slowing down, but potentially working part-time indefinitely if I find it as rewarding as I think I will.

Despite my not working since 2017, DH's 9-month period of unemployment, and his taking a lesser-paying job, we could still probably afford to retire in 2022.  But I have no interest in that anymore.  Or right now, at least.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #920 on: March 13, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »

Reporting in!  My retirement plans have changed quite dramatically.  In 2017, I quit my job running a non-profit to go back to school.  I spent a year doing master's level pre-reqs and then applied to a doctoral program.  As luck would have it, six days after getting my acceptance letter, DH got laid off.  First time in 24 years of marriage that either of us has ever been laid off, and terrible timing too, since I had quit my job.  We went from always having been a dually-employed couple to both being unemployed.  It was stressful.  DH wanted me to drop out of the doctoral program without even starting it, but I held fast, and we ultimately ended up selling our "dream" home and buying a smaller house in a more modest neighborhood with the equity.

Fast forward a few years...we are very happy in our smaller home and I am neck deep in a doctoral program.  Not a fiscally sound decision, but absolutely what I want to be doing.  I never thought I'd be retraining for another career in my 50s--I expected to be retiring!  But the great thing about having planned an early retirement is that we had the assets to weather unemployment and make a drastic and expensive career change.  The agreement is that when I go back to work (in about 3 years), then DH will retire.  I have no idea how long I'll work in my new career--I anticipate working at least ten years, or until age 62, and then slowing down, but potentially working part-time indefinitely if I find it as rewarding as I think I will.

Despite my not working since 2017, DH's 9-month period of unemployment, and his taking a lesser-paying job, we could still probably afford to retire in 2022.  But I have no interest in that anymore.  Or right now, at least.

Working toward FI is all about having options.  Just because some people choose to retire from the workforce entirely doesn't mean it's the right thing for anyone else.  Sounds like you've really found something you enjoy, congrats.  Starting a second act in life is something many of us dream about but never actually pursue.   

When one of my friends eggs me on to buy a new car or a new house because "You can afford it / You can't take it with you / Live a little, etc",  I always explain that having money is about having freedom. 

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: March 15, 2021, 03:33:07 PM »
Early 2021 update.  My rustic excel sheet is showing 20 months to run.  Puts us at FIRE in Nov 22.

We will start to wrap up our business (which will take about 1 year) in Sept this year so Nov 22 could well be about right.

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #922 on: March 22, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »
Congrats to Skip and others for zeroing in on a date. I’m still aiming for roughly March1 2022.
Recently I had my annual review. It seems my FI-inspired detached attitude about my work has translated into my boss seeing me as way more serious of a person/employee. The comments were very flattering and it’s so weird! Got a small raise.
Right after, my entire large department got picked up and moved to a whole other part of the org. Also weird.

I’ve started a notebook where I am writing down information about very specific things I’d like to do when I’m no longer at my desk. Books to read, groups to join, places to go birding, etc. Its starting to feel more real!

One thing I’m kind of monitoring is my health. I have a spine issue that means I have a usually minor disability that can ramp up with too much desk work. Last week I asked to postpone an assignment by like 3 hours, and that didn’t really work. Boss said, fine you can get that to me then, if you get this other thing to me sooner instead. I’m not sure how he thought that would help? My doctors and physical therapist caution me that if I’m not careful I may loose more use of my right arm and hand. I’d like to make it to fat fire (my March 2022 goal) but I may have to call it quits sooner. Are any of you dealing with something like that?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #923 on: March 22, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »
Are any of you dealing with something like that?

DH has unspecified issues that limit the time he can work. As a matter of fact, he is going to a rheumatologist next week to see if he can finally get a diagnosis. He is highly valued on his team and when he mentions leaving over this, both his current and former managers tell him "just work less." But it doesn't always translate so well into actual projects. He has started documenting the time worked to get a better feel for the balance, or lack there of. This month, he really has managed to limit the desk time, but he is probably spending all the extra time rolling around on his massage ball and foam roller, laying on ice or just laying there philosophizing about pain and life.

Some days he talks about just quitting today, tomorrow, next month. Other days, he figures if they are going to pay his full salary for 20 hour work weeks, he should just figure out how to fit in 20 hours with the slow travel we have planned and work until they give up on him.

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #924 on: March 22, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
I hope your DH gets some actionable insights from the doctor ixtap. I will say that only my excellent physical therapist was able to help me improve. The regular doctors were impressed at how much better I did from seeing her. Anything invasive would have been too risky, according to them - I wasn’t keen to go under the knife anyway.

Like him I’ll just keep trying to limit my desk work short of quitting. My dream of a layoff with severance seems unlikely. I really like the people I work with - they are talented and driven and it’s hard to lay low and also keep up.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #925 on: March 22, 2021, 07:31:22 PM »
I hope your DH gets some actionable insights from the doctor ixtap. I will say that only my excellent physical therapist was able to help me improve. The regular doctors were impressed at how much better I did from seeing her. Anything invasive would have been too risky, according to them - I wasn’t keen to go under the knife anyway.

Like him I’ll just keep trying to limit my desk work short of quitting. My dream of a layoff with severance seems unlikely. I really like the people I work with - they are talented and driven and it’s hard to lay low and also keep up.

DH's megacorp is thriving, so layoffs seem quite unlikely. I haven't worked in a few years for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that until we moved closer to his job, I was driving DH to work when he had to choose between holding his hands on the steering wheel for an hour round trip OR using the keyboard for a couple of hours. He earns enough and likes the intellectual challenges enough that it made more sense for me to support him in staying employed than for me to financially support him.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #926 on: April 03, 2021, 10:30:48 AM »
DH just announced he plans to be onboard the boat full time in one year (early April 2022).

We still have the solar/lithium upgrade to complete and a water maker to install. We are just now ordering the proper equipment to verify our energy needs to decide on sizing for the solar array and battery bank. That's a lot of money to spend in the next 12 months!

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #927 on: April 05, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
DH just announced he plans to be onboard the boat full time in one year (early April 2022).

We still have the solar/lithium upgrade to complete and a water maker to install. We are just now ordering the proper equipment to verify our energy needs to decide on sizing for the solar array and battery bank. That's a lot of money to spend in the next 12 months!

Exciting!  Solar prices keep coming down so your timing should be rewarded.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #928 on: April 05, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
Just hit my retirement "number" today.  Who knows how many times I will drop below and above in the next 11 months until retirement, but this is still an important milestone it seems.  I've got 51% of my portfolio in cash, I-Bonds and short term bond funds, so I feel confident that my plan is solid regardless of the vagaries of the market.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #929 on: April 05, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »
Just hit my retirement "number" today.  Who knows how many times I will drop below and above in the next 11 months until retirement, but this is still an important milestone it seems.  I've got 51% of my portfolio in cash, I-Bonds and short term bond funds, so I feel confident that my plan is solid regardless of the vagaries of the market.

Congrats on hitting your number.  That's a big milestone. 

Is your number based on the 4% rule alone, or do you also have future pension income or some other source that you are also including in coming up with your number? 

I keep revisiting my 'number' every year (and it gets bigger and bigger, go figure).   

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #930 on: April 05, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »

Exciting!  Solar prices keep coming down so your timing should be rewarded.

It turns out the extended solar credits apply to the boat, as well. DH is in charge of all that. He keeps babbling about dimensions and watts and blah blah blah, so I am going to let him put a few on top the dodger as a starter pack before we go with the bigger panels and the lithium batteries.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #931 on: April 05, 2021, 01:52:53 PM »

Congrats on hitting your number.  That's a big milestone. 

Is your number based on the 4% rule alone, or do you also have future pension income or some other source that you are also including in coming up with your number? 

I keep revisiting my 'number' every year (and it gets bigger and bigger, go figure).

Thanks!! 
I don't use the 4% rule because it's too simplistic.  I do have a small non-COLA  pension that will pay about $9k a year starting next year.  Plan to defer social security until age 70 for myself and spouse.  Wife will get 50% spousal benefit based on my earnings record.  Other investments include approx 9 years of spend in fixed income (cash, I-bonds ST bonds), approx 7 years in equity investments in IRAs and brokerage account, and 2-3 years in employer stock RSUs and Options.  I also plan to sell my house on 2-3 years which will cover another ~ 4 years of spend (including rent). No debt.

My "number" is simply an aggregation of the dollar targets that I've established combining all available financial assets (savings, brokerage, IRAs, 401k, Roth and home equity) that gets me to a place that I feel confident retiring

I have been using a few different models and planning tools:
1.  Fidelity Retirement Planner (free) - links to Fidelity Fullview account aggregator
2.  Bogleheads "Bigfoot RPM" - very detailed and robust free excel based tool
3.  Flexible Retirement Planning tool - shareware, Monte Carlo Sim tool (suggested donation $20)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 02:24:02 PM by friedmmj »

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #932 on: April 05, 2021, 02:47:56 PM »
" I planted some things in my garden today, did the cleaning I used to have to do on the weekends, a load of laundry, a little cooking, and still have hours of time to lay in a hammock in the yard and eat popsicles. If you don’t own a hammock, I highly recommend getting one. "

I swiped this from the 2021 thread at I want this to be my upcoming mantra.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #933 on: April 15, 2021, 05:09:50 PM »
I have senioritis - my date is 12.31.22 - not sure I am going to make it.  Can't stop planning my departure.  Can't focus on work.  Ready to go now.  Please send help.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #934 on: April 15, 2021, 05:51:05 PM »
Ok friends. I'm officially jumping over to the 2021 group. Looks like August for me since we've been able to bank some extra over the last 8 months and my burnout is getting unavoidably bad. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #935 on: April 15, 2021, 06:30:32 PM »
Ok friends. I'm officially jumping over to the 2021 group. Looks like August for me since we've been able to bank some extra over the last 8 months and my burnout is getting unavoidably bad.

I hope the post burn out healing comes quickly and smoothly!

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #936 on: April 16, 2021, 12:13:58 AM »
Amazing - getting ready for the congrats to jump in just 4 months!

MagneticNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #937 on: April 16, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »
I have senioritis - my date is 12.31.22 - not sure I am going to make it.  Can't stop planning my departure.  Can't focus on work.  Ready to go now.  Please send help.

Ugh, me too. I've been counting down to my negative-one-year anniversary, and still having to make it one more year after that seems so much harder than it used to. I don't even hate my job, I'm just bored. Ready to be done. Senioritis is right, I think.

I've been trying to give myself things to look forward to in the short & medium term to focus on instead - I get takeout lunch from a favorite restaurant once a week as a treat; I'm taking a long weekend to go camping soon now that the weather is getting nice; I've got my second vaccine dose scheduled; I'm taking 3 weeks (!) off this summer to see all the scattered family I haven't seen since pre-covid. I think having something else sooner to look forward to helps, a little. Sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:22:28 AM by MagneticNorth »

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: April 17, 2021, 11:30:59 AM »
Asauer has been posting in here since the start in 2015.

Checking in!

Man life can get crazy and change a lot on you!  We have gone through multiple jobs and moved to a fairly high COL area right outside of Seattle/Bellevue.  NW has been growing nicely and this last year we saw some insane returns while investing through the 2020 March crash.  We went down to one income for about 6 months in 2017 and we are about to go down to one income for the next two years as my wife goes back to finish her BA in order to open up more career opportunities.

I've been dabbling in individual stock picking but I hate calling it that... It's more like equities analysis, digging into companies that I believe have amazing growth potential, and then doing tens if not hundreds of hours of research before building a position.  It's been fun and it's with a very small portion of our portfolio, but as I get better, those positions may grow to dwarf our portfolio but we will see.  It's something I enjoy and not everyone should do it.  That being said, most of our investments are still in index funds.

As for FIRE 2022, I'm not sure if that will be in the cards.  We will lose a decent amount of income this year so our savings ability will be much lower after July.  NW is sitting just under 1M with invested assets at just over 850K.  Sounds like a lot but being in a HCOL area can be rough when it comes to expenses.

Recently we have shifted from "Full FIRE" mentality to just work/life balance and trying to find work that is meaningful and fulfilling.  We still have a long ways to go in this life so it's more about making a positive impact and enjoying every day rather than stressing thinking about growing our NW to sustain us not doing anything at all.  At the same time, money gives you options to take huge pay cuts and pursue your passions.  If we can get to this state by end of 2022 I would be very happy and it would still be a pretty amazing accomplishment for a couple in their late 20's/early 30's.

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #939 on: April 18, 2021, 12:02:51 AM »
I've decided Feb 22 2022 will be my last day at work;  I will be 41.  I've even started telling people (which is always about the last thing I do with major life decisions, lol - the gauge of my seriousness is How Many People Know About It).  I won't officially give notice until this fall, and my boss is hoping I'll change my mind, but we're putting transition plans in place, and I'm quite happy about that.  I want my departure to be as smooth and problem-free for my team as possible.

I should hit my minimal FIRE number this summer or fall, and I have thought at times that I should stick it out one more year or two to pad that, but on the other hand...that's fear talking.  Rationally, there's absolutely no need - chances are honestly quite low that I'll never have income again.  I'm approaching this season of my life less as a permanent retirement and more as an open-ended sabbatical.  At the very least, I'll probably do some freelancing here and there;  I may even do more stints of full-time work when I feel like it.  An old boss of mine was saying it would be awesome if I come work for her in a few years - that timeframe should coincide with some retirements / hiring at her employer.  I did love working with her years ago, and I like the city where she's located, so that's an appealing idea.

I do think I need a long break from full-time work to recover from the feelings of burnout.  The last couple of years at my current job have been unusually rocky and stressful, and I've done a whole lot more managing-up and temporary stints as department manager than I'd prefer.  I don't LIKE management at that level (they tried to talk me into taking that job for real and I politely refrained from running out of the room screaming, lol, and just gave a professional but very firm no).

I'm so excited about next year's plans!  I'm originally from Canada but currently working as an expat in the Middle East;  next January will mark my five-year anniversary of living here, which is another thing that makes 2022 feel like about the right time to move on.  I'll go back to North America for a round of visits to friends and family for a few months, then set up a home base for a year or two in a low COL country like Thailand or Georgia (the country, not the state). (COVID allowing...I'll adjust as necessary.)

@marty998, I've been getting into running too!  Originally I felt pretty meh about it and just dragged myself to the gym three times a week to run on the treadmill because...well, I didn't hate it, and I wanted to improve my fitness.  Somehow in the last year or so "I don't hate it" accidentally turned into "I actually really like this," and now I'm thinking I'll do a half-marathon at some point, lol.  Funny how that evolves.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2021, 01:32:57 AM »
Be careful @snowball, before you know it you’ll be doing 40 miles a week, be incredibly cranky when you miss a run and planning three marathons a year!

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2021, 02:56:20 AM »
I...I am already sad when it is a morning I do not get to run.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #942 on: April 18, 2021, 05:06:49 AM »
Wait till the smugness sets in.

Did I mention I ran a marathon last week?

:P

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #943 on: April 18, 2021, 05:40:30 AM »
We probably won't make 2022.  Probably drop back a couple of years as we have changed a few things in our lives.  We will hopefully be back in our home state by then however, and that will be almost as good as retirement.

It is looking more like Mrs Middo will FIRE at the end of this year or sometime next year, and I will work until 2024 or 2025 depending kids and their Uni progression.  We are still planning to move at the end of this year, but again it is dependent on a house renovation that may or may not be done in time.  The hardest part is that as a teacher, prime job movement is over the new year, and of we miss that window it gets harder to move mid-year.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #944 on: April 19, 2021, 10:28:32 AM »

In same boat as you!  Any chance you can move up your date?  I've already moved mine up as much as I can (2/22/22).

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #945 on: April 19, 2021, 12:53:57 PM »
In same boat as you!  Any chance you can move up your date?  I've already moved mine up as much as I can (2/22/22).

We're planning to make the leap 1/2/2022 (which is about as early as you can do it and still post here) but I keep finding myself moonlighting over in the 2021 thread :D

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #946 on: April 20, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »
I keep looking wistfully at the 2021 thread too...buuut...

I'm in the middle of running a major project at work that I absolutely do not want to walk away from at this stage, and it won't reach a state where I can feel okay about handing it over to someone else until Sept at the earliest (and it would be much better if I were present to babysit it through to at least year end).

Plus, COVID would be a fly in the ointment if I were to leave right now anyway.  Presumably by 2022 it will be less of an issue, knock on wood.

Despite my emotional commitment to that project, and occasional shenanigans I'm pulling at work because I just can't be arsed to take it as seriously anymore (my office door plate now gives my title as Section Head, Dragon and Pixiedust Wrangling...I'm leaving that up until someone in authority actually notices and tells me to take it down, and I have a side bet going with myself that this will literally never happen, lol)......I am just not engaged.  So ready to be done.

Maybe I need to think of more shenanigans?

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #947 on: April 20, 2021, 09:39:09 AM »
I keep looking wistfully at the 2021 thread too...buuut...

I'm in the middle of running a major project at work that I absolutely do not want to walk away from at this stage, and it won't reach a state where I can feel okay about handing it over to someone else until Sept at the earliest (and it would be much better if I were present to babysit it through to at least year end).

Plus, COVID would be a fly in the ointment if I were to leave right now anyway.  Presumably by 2022 it will be less of an issue, knock on wood.

Despite my emotional commitment to that project, and occasional shenanigans I'm pulling at work because I just can't be arsed to take it as seriously anymore (my office door plate now gives my title as Section Head, Dragon and Pixiedust Wrangling...I'm leaving that up until someone in authority actually notices and tells me to take it down, and I have a side bet going with myself that this will literally never happen, lol)......I am just not engaged.  So ready to be done.

Maybe I need to think of more shenanigans?

I'm envious that you have an emotional commitment to something work related.  It seems antithetical to not being engaged though.

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #948 on: April 20, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
I'm envious that you have an emotional commitment to something work related.  It seems antithetical to not being engaged though.

Hahaha, true, I am logically inconsistent on this point.

When I'm working on that project, I feel like my engagement level often returns to as much as half of what it used to be (woot!)  When I'm working on other stuff, it drops to near-zero depending on the task...with tasks I dislike, I guess it drops below zero, because that eats away at the level of engagement I can summon up for anything else, including The Cool Project.

I am thankful that at least there is one project I can still get somewhat excited about...

I should be more ruthless about pruning away things I dislike.  I have done a certain amount of pruning;  it's just hard because we're understaffed.  As my engagement fades further, I am getting more ruthless though (plus I've started telling a few people to expect my departure in Feb - it's really nice to be able to point to that and say "I'm not going to put energy into this;  remember I'm leaving in Feb).

I wouldn't advise most people to be open this far in advance about departure plans, but there is pretty much zero risk of getting pushed out earlier than I choose.  And in the unlikely event that did happen, I could walk away guilt-free and let a bunch of stuff crash-land behind me;  it would be someone else's fault that the transition sucked, not mine, lol.  (I am not overestimating my importance here - my employer will survive just fine without me, one way or another.  But I do recognize that there's no backup in place for my role, and there hasn't been for a couple of years.  I've been trying to get that rectified for ages, and it looks like I'll succeed this year.  Probably.  I'm leaving in Feb regardless;  if it's not addressed by then, well, it's no longer my problem.)

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #949 on: April 21, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »

In my financial reality I could - but for a number of personal and work reasons it wouldn't feel right.  I have a couple of important (to me) people that i want to get promoted before I go (part of my succession plan - been with my company for 20+ years) and the income from next year can be used very strategically in my overall financial plan.  I am just being a big ol baby because I do enjoy my job and love my co-workers but after 20 years it is time to go.