Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 403437 times)

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1700 on: June 22, 2022, 12:09:35 PM »
Congratulations!  Do you think it will be an intense few weeks or can you start to wind down?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1701 on: June 22, 2022, 02:23:40 PM »
@RainyDay i did retire at the end of April but it’s only just hitting me now, mostly because my relaxing holiday with family and friends turning into impulse buying a house which was just a whole of jobs.

luckyme13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1702 on: June 22, 2022, 03:45:04 PM »
Congratulations!  Do you think it will be an intense few weeks or can you start to wind down?

I'm definitely winding down although my manager would like me to "do more".  I will do enough but I'm defnitely not going to do it all before I leave; they can always ask (and they do) but successfully transitioning my work is my main focus.  My stomach is in knots most days now because it's such a big decision but I'm leaving on good terms.  I've already noticed my Sunday afternoon anxiety/dread is gone which has made a world of difference.  Having a really nice savings cushion is also helping given the current economics.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1703 on: June 22, 2022, 04:55:32 PM »
Congratulations @luckyme13 and remember your transition requirement is not to ensure that there is no impact to the business, it’s to document what you do, location of key documents and who is going to take each piece over or note where there is a gap of no one can do it, and walk people through it. It’s never going to be seamless.

thinkerGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1704 on: June 22, 2022, 08:05:56 PM »
I am very unsatisfied with my WAMI this week. He is working as hard as ever for his first week of part-time. Supposedly, the start date was chosen to be available for our move, so his extra hours at work are my extra hours doing his share of the move :(

So you must be the UPWAMI  (Unsatisfied Partner of a Working Advanced Moustachian Individual).  Hope things have settled down!

I bike every day and I'm up to 2100 miles for the year.  I did my first ride over 100 miles.  I'm planning a trip to Iceland in the fall.  Overall, life is good.  I think by the time November rolls around and the weather starts getting chilly, I'll be ok with working 20 hours at a job I think might be kind of fun.  But I'm super glad I was able to take this LOA to get a taste of FIRE.  Because it's pretty awesome!

Inspirational!!  It's also interesting how creative things can get if you are ready to quit anyway.

I'm retired!! Turned everything in, finished out-processing, and now I'm free!  And exhausted.  And maybe the tiniest bit drunk...

Just a bit?  That's very well-behaved!  Congratulations!

I’ve been thinking about asking for a sabbatical sometime in the next 12 months, in the belief that it will give me a chance to see whether I get bored or otherwise discontented with the lifestyle of retirement. 
I don’t know whether my corporate overlords will allow it, especially as we’ve lost a couple of key people recently from my projects. There is precedent for 90 day sabbaticals but it’s very dependent on management within each organization. 

Hope the Great Resignation works it's magic for you too!

Congratulations @luckyme13 and remember your transition requirement is not to ensure that there is no impact to the business, it’s to document what you do, location of key documents and who is going to take each piece over or note where there is a gap of no one can do it, and walk people through it. It’s never going to be seamless.

That's so true.  And congratulations @luckyme13.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #1705 on: June 22, 2022, 09:18:26 PM »
I’m impressed by how little this market downturn seems to be affecting the rest’ve this group. I’m not sure if I’ll have the stomach to actually pull the plug without having fully reached my 4% SWR number.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1706 on: June 22, 2022, 09:47:41 PM »
I’m impressed by how little this market downturn seems to be affecting the rest’ve this group. I’m not sure if I’ll have the stomach to actually pull the plug without having fully reached my 4% SWR number.

It is possible that many don't start planning their departure until they reach their goals, and so the additional time puts them well over.

@thinkerGirl , UPWAMI has a nice ring, but luckily, he has been picking up his share of the moving duties.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:49:58 PM by ixtap »

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #1707 on: June 23, 2022, 08:07:06 AM »

Its now or never for me.

I must admit I am not sleeping great at the moment.  I keep looking at my stache and thinking what if that falls 50%... then I am in deep deep trouble.

But what can you do?  I think the reality is this economic disaster - which is what its going to be - is going to last quite a while (several years) so you just have to try and scrape through and hope we dont see any crazy inflation.

Its worrying, but at least I know for a fact I can enjoy at least 2-3 years without worry as I am in cash for a portion of my NW.

I am 4 weeks out (give or take a week) and its hard work atm.  I just hope things will settle down once I am a free bird.  I have a 3 week holiday booked from mid August so I hope to clear my mind and come home ready to start a fresh.

If worst comes to worst I can trim my expenses down considerably.  Yeah that's not the retirement I planned but who knew an economic plane crash was about to happen.  Maybe the biggest one ever.

Its all my fault BTW guys.  This is just my luck, so please do accept my sincerest apologies!! 

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1708 on: June 23, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »

Hopefully the folks who have already FIREd have back-up plans, or are fat-fire.  I admit I won't have the nerve to completely pull the plug in December, as previously hoped.  But I'm gonna try like hell for a part-time position so I can then coast-fire while the market recovers!

treffpunkt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1709 on: June 23, 2022, 11:53:10 AM »

WARNING: Gross generalizations ahead!

At a quick glance, this cohort seems quite GenX heavy. Many of us have vivid memories of our parents sweating big inflation and mortgages at 19%. We've gone through multiple downturns and recessions in our working lives. We're old enough to know stock markets going up double digits and sub-2% mortgages aren't normal, and for my biggest generalization of all, I'm guessing that most of us didn't do this with the mentality of just pulling the plug the day we reach x% SWR if that day comes during an insane bull run.

I'm definitely not fat fire, but the current situation is not changing my plans because I included possibilities that probably seemed unfathomable to someone 10 years younger---it's simply "luck" of when I was born and what that allowed me to witness firsthand (and what they'd never witnessed until today) and include in my likely more cautious plan.

But I certainly don't claim to speak for a generation. Maybe I'm just describing me. :)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1710 on: June 23, 2022, 12:39:41 PM »

At a quick glance, this cohort seems quite GenX heavy. Many of us have vivid memories of our parents sweating big inflation and mortgages at 19%. We've gone through multiple downturns and recessions in our working lives. We're old enough to know stock markets going up double digits and sub-2% mortgages aren't normal, and for my biggest generalization of all, I'm guessing that most of us didn't do this with the mentality of just pulling the plug the day we reach x% SWR if that day comes during an insane bull run.

I'm definitely not fat fire, but the current situation is not changing my plans because I included possibilities that probably seemed unfathomable to someone 10 years younger---it's simply "luck" of when I was born and what that allowed me to witness firsthand (and what they'd never witnessed until today) and include in my likely more cautious plan.

But I certainly don't claim to speak for a generation. Maybe I'm just describing me. :)

We are an X/M couple, but this mostly applies to us as well. At some point, we stopped viewing a bigger portfolio as more money to spend and started viewing it as a lower and lower %WR. We are actually really happy we didn't leave when we first surpassed our number late 2019. We wouldn't have been able to do what we want and working gave DH something to do during lockdowns.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1711 on: June 23, 2022, 01:41:36 PM »
I am also a genXer. Last week I was on vacation with my millennial cousins.  The youngest one was talking with horror in her voice about 6% mortgage rates.  I laughed and told her my parents' interest rate on their house was 17%.  She couldn't fathom...

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1712 on: June 24, 2022, 04:16:09 AM »
Yes another Gen X-er here.  I mainly remember significant interest rates as a positive thing (actual interest on my savings account!) but I had no conception of inflation then - it was all just numbers. 

Still, my working life has spanned a weird and unusually stable/calm couple of decades really (I look at the base-line of my working life from 1998 when I started to 2014, when I had my first kid and started working a bit less crazy hard, and just think how fortunate I was to have such a broadly boring economic world to work and save in).  Things started to go a bit pear-shaped in 2016 with Brexit/Trump, and downhill from there really. 

For people my age though we did at least see the Dot-Com crash first hand (even if we probably hadn't saved enough yet to be very strongly impacted by it), and had seen our parents go through high inflation and high mortgage rates, which feels like it must have been an advantage.

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #1713 on: June 25, 2022, 10:57:55 PM »
Hi folks -

I was previously hanging out with the '21 folks but decided to make an upwards adjustments to our FIRE number hence joining you guys.

I'll be finishing up in mid Oct, and will be celebrating in early Nov with a trip to New Zealand to do a mountain 'experience' course - traversing glaciers, ice climbing etc - can't wait! 

While the equity part of my stash has obvioulsy been hammered (down about 11%), i've been really happy with the allocation i've set up - have about 7 years worth of expenses across direct corporate bonds (investment-grade), cash and gold.  The direct bonds in particular are great as i have them with staggered maturites and intend to hold each until then.  Am averaging a bit over 5% across the portfolio.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1714 on: June 26, 2022, 05:30:31 AM »

You’re describing me also.  We retired in Feb at 55 yo so at the older end of Gen X.  Since social security is a prominent part of our long term financial plan, we’re not as impacted by the drop in the market as someone who’s retiring at age 40 who might be 80-90% stocks and relying primarily on the portfolio longer term.  Our asset allocation at the time of retirement was around 55/45 stocks to bonds/cash.  Still, we are already cutting back only 6 months in by around 10% on spending which is not the most pleasant way to kick off retirement. 

treffpunkt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1715 on: June 26, 2022, 10:42:41 AM »
You’re describing me also.  We retired in Feb at 55 yo so at the older end of Gen X.  Since social security is a prominent part of our long term financial plan, we’re not as impacted by the drop in the market as someone who’s retiring at age 40 who might be 80-90% stocks and relying primarily on the portfolio longer term.  Our asset allocation at the time of retirement was around 55/45 stocks to bonds/cash.  Still, we are already cutting back only 6 months in by around 10% on spending which is not the most pleasant way to kick off retirement.

That's an excellent point. While I have not included (the Canadian equivalent of) social security in my financial plan, somewhere in the back of my brain I know there could be additional money coming in in only 10 years when I can choose to start it (not enough to live on, but a nice crutch nonetheless). That's a much shorter wait than a 40 year old has. And you also receive more the longer you've been working (in Canada, at least), so a later, but still a little early, retirement age can help calm the nerves on two fronts.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 10:45:33 AM by treffpunkt »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1716 on: June 26, 2022, 11:00:16 AM »
The only thing left in the condo is cleaning supplies and everything is stowed well enough on the boat that we are taking some friends sailing this afternoon. First trip starts on July 5. WHHHHHEEEEEEEEE

arrintonpalmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1717 on: June 27, 2022, 03:14:47 PM »
Congrats @ixtap!

I’ve been absent here for a while, but 2022 is still our year as well! After August I’ll be part time military only, with 20 year letter in hand as of June 22. If I get assigned to anything that isn’t fun three days a month, or get notified of a deployment I don’t want to go on I can and will bail!

My last deployment ended in December ‘21, and I did nothing but hang with my wife and kids from then until May 3rd. It was glorious and I’m looking forward to more.

I’m nervous about the current market (Old millennial at 37 here), but our numbers a safe and I’m so excited to spend heaps of time with my kids while they are still so young!

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1718 on: June 30, 2022, 04:21:01 PM »
My last day was today. I am 39, worth just over $1 million, and aiming to withdraw $30k/yr as I slow travel for the next 2.5 years. I seem to have lucked out and sold my house at a high with the opportunity to buy into the stock market at a low. I am telling myself that while the next few years might be a bumpy ride, I could very well be in a great position when the market recovers. Goodbye academia I will not miss you.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1719 on: June 30, 2022, 04:40:03 PM »
Congratulations @salt cured nice timing 👍
@arrintonpalmer well down on hitting 20 years and downshifting

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1720 on: July 02, 2022, 06:41:07 AM »
Well, I didn’t make my original 7/1/22 date but I am close.

Please update my date to 10/1/22

Untangling from the work life has proven more difficult than I expected.

SwaneeSR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1721 on: July 02, 2022, 01:38:24 PM »
Mr. Dicey's been burning up his vacation days since March 30. Yesterday, July 1, 2022 was his last paid day.  Now we wait to see that his actual pension paycheck looks like. We have 30 days of fully paid health care left, then we roll over to the OOP version of the same coverage. We have plenty of funds to ease the transition, but the unknowns are a bit off-putting right now. Zero chance of changing his mind though, hooray!

Last Wednesday, we fired up the RV and took a one-night midweek mini getaway, just because we could. We'll be hanging out at home for the holiday weekend. Too many people out there!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1722 on: July 02, 2022, 02:27:13 PM »
Mr. Dicey's been burning up his vacation days since March 30. Yesterday, July 1, 2022 was his last paid day.  Now we wait to see that his actual pension paycheck looks like. We have 30 days of fully paid health care left, then we roll over to the OOP version of the same coverage. We have plenty of funds to ease the transition, but the unknowns are a bit off-putting right now. Zero chance of changing his mind though, hooray!

Last Wednesday, we fired up the RV and took a one-night midweek mini getaway, just because we could. We'll be hanging out at home for the holiday weekend. Too many people out there!

You may have seen my MPP, but payroll didn't get the memo about DH's downshift. Time keeping will only allow him to record 20 hours a week since the end of the prior pay period, but he got a full paycheck and still has healthcare coverage. We check the latter every week because the COBRA info is supposed to be available there first, and we aren't sure if each department will get the change of address in a timely manner, either.

And here I was worried they would just forget to pay him altogether! I hope it takes them months and months to straighten this out, with no take backs...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1723 on: July 02, 2022, 03:55:50 PM »

You may have seen my MPP, but payroll didn't get the memo about DH's downshift. Time keeping will only allow him to record 20 hours a week since the end of the prior pay period, but he got a full paycheck and still has healthcare coverage. We check the latter every week because the COBRA info is supposed to be available there first, and we aren't sure if each department will get the change of address in a timely manner, either.

And here I was worried they would just forget to pay him altogether! I hope it takes them months and months to straighten this out, with no take backs...
I did see that. I knew I didn't have to remind you not to spend the money, lol!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1724 on: July 02, 2022, 04:07:50 PM »

I did see that. I knew I didn't have to remind you not to spend the money, lol!

No, but I was hoping to buy our ibonds as soon as we had our new cash flow established. I went ahead and got mine today, but will probably hold off on his until this is straightened out.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #1725 on: July 02, 2022, 04:08:59 PM »
I'm retired!! Turned everything in, finished out-processing, and now I'm free!  And exhausted.  And maybe the tiniest bit drunk...

Ahhh, that’s excellent. Congratulations. Think you’ve earned that “tiniest bit drunk” status ;-)

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1726 on: July 03, 2022, 06:57:33 AM »

That's an excellent point. While I have not included (the Canadian equivalent of) social security in my financial plan, somewhere in the back of my brain I know there could be additional money coming in in only 10 years when I can choose to start it (not enough to live on, but a nice crutch nonetheless). That's a much shorter wait than a 40 year old has. And you also receive more the longer you've been working (in Canada, at least), so a later, but still a little early, retirement age can help calm the nerves on two fronts.

I'm 50 and though I don't include SS in my SWR calculations, I definitely consider it as part of my "plan" as a kind of longevity insurance I guess.  If a 4% swr fails or falls enough to worry me over the next 20 years, I'll still have SS, which if delayed until 70 (my current plan) should be large enough itself to pay our necessary expenses.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1727 on: July 03, 2022, 08:04:17 AM »

I'm 50 and though I don't include SS in my SWR calculations, I definitely consider it as part of my "plan" as a kind of longevity insurance I guess.  If a 4% swr fails or falls enough to worry me over the next 20 years, I'll still have SS, which if delayed until 70 (my current plan) should be large enough itself to pay our necessary expenses.

I'm using the VPW (variable percentage withdrawal) model that I found on Bogleheads.  When you enter your future income streams like SS, it carves out a bridge fund from your current portfolio that is mean to provide the same income over the interim period (for me from 55 to 67) and then applies an age based SWR to the remaining funds in your portfolio.  The result for my inputs is a 6% withdrawal to my overall portfolio.  This will decline to around 2.5% once SS kicks in.  The 6% is a combination of the bridge and the SWR in the near term.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Variable_percentage_withdrawal

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #1728 on: July 05, 2022, 05:00:03 AM »
Almost there...... just got a few more lose ends to tie up and then its P - A - R - T - Y time...
Holiday booked for mid August.  Got maybe 2 weeks of "work" to go but its very much just mopping up now.

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #1729 on: July 05, 2022, 07:14:57 AM »
Almost there...... just got a few more lose ends to tie up and then its P - A - R - T - Y time...
Holiday booked for mid August.  Got maybe 2 weeks of "work" to go but its very much just mopping up now.
Well done buddy! Challenging times. I'm still on track for September-ish, but I am concerned about what the markets might do to me.

Every time my stache decreases (a regular occurrence), I try to be pragmatic "that wasn't too bad, we can't be far off the bottom now, and I'm still contributing". I'm not sure that I believe myself though.

I'm older than you, and not FIREing isn't an option!

I come here looking for solace, others with similar concerns to myself, but there doesn't seem to be anybody!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:17:59 AM by MisterA »

basuragomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1730 on: July 05, 2022, 08:43:10 AM »
I'm done. 06/30/2022 (31). Disabling my morning alarm was the greatest feeling.

arrintonpalmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1731 on: July 05, 2022, 12:36:52 PM »
congrats @basuragomi !

I continued getting paid by my university for over 6 months last year after I left despite multiple tries to stop it. I finally got a very nervous call from an assistant dean saying they needed their money back. His confusion when I told him I never cashed the checks was great.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1732 on: July 06, 2022, 12:32:17 AM »
I am also a genXer. Last week I was on vacation with my millennial cousins.  The youngest one was talking with horror in her voice about 6% mortgage rates.  I laughed and told her my parents' interest rate on their house was 17%.  She couldn't fathom...
Also GenX. I remember getting 10% on my savings account as a child. I tell people it ruined me for life.
I sat and worked out the math for myself to see how fast it would grow, and was greatly inspired to save more :)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1733 on: July 06, 2022, 08:52:42 AM »
Well done buddy! Challenging times. I'm still on track for September-ish, but I am concerned about what the markets might do to me.

Every time my stache decreases (a regular occurrence), I try to be pragmatic "that wasn't too bad, we can't be far off the bottom now, and I'm still contributing". I'm not sure that I believe myself though.

I come here looking for solace, others with similar concerns to myself, but there doesn't seem to be anybody!

I have spent my whole life dowing things that are mildly terrifying. Most have absolutely been worth it.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1734 on: July 09, 2022, 12:30:33 AM »
I finished on Monday (4th July 2022, 39) and am so far loving it. Still getting used to the idea that I don't have to go back to work.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1735 on: July 09, 2022, 12:35:57 AM »

It's scary isn't it?! My number was lean to start with and has dropped in between me giving notice and actually leaving. I'm sticking with it though.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1736 on: July 09, 2022, 12:56:01 AM »
I finished on Monday (4th July 2022, 39) and am so far loving it. Still getting used to the idea that I don't have to go back to work.
Woohoo! I am so pleased for you!

[I'm another one in the 'lean-number that's now dropped' camp but I think it's worth it.]

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1737 on: July 09, 2022, 08:33:51 AM »
DH has been burning vacation since the end of March. He was also accruing vacation while he was on vacation. His last official "working" day was July 1, which means our "free" healthcare continues through the end of the month. He just got his "final" check, which hilariously included a sticker reminding him that it was a live check and not a Direct Deposit receipt.

He will be receiving a regular paycheck, because he has a Defined Benefit Pension, but we have no idea how much it will be until we actually receive the first payment, less $1575/month for healthcare. Meanwhile, we're renovating a condo. Most of the expensive materials have been bought and paid for, but we keep finding surprises we hadn't anticipated.

Oh, and the market's down...

It's a good thing we're mustachian. It will all be fine. It just cracks us up that we know we're facing about a 50% drop in net pay and aren't freaked out about it.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1738 on: July 09, 2022, 05:18:12 PM »
Staying on guests docks means chatting with lots of strangers. "But work?!" has already come up twice this week. 

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1739 on: July 10, 2022, 04:16:55 AM »
After watching this thread for inspiration and with changed policies at work (they want us back 3 days a week in the office for no reason but micromanagement), I'm tentatively joining this cohort, although I'm keeping a foot in the original 2025 cohort until my reptile brain has stopped screaming at least based on a "if they don't change that policy, I'm out by end of the year" mindset. I'm done with corporatist bullshit, micromanagement, three hours of commuting a day, and not being given the slightest bit of flexibility at work.

It's a well-paid job and I've been saving 75% of the money, but with Mr Vashy willing to be a corporate cog for a while longer and the mortgage almost paid off, plus side gig opportunities, I think this can work. Meanwhile, the thought that I might have just 100 working days left - forever - makes me a little giddy.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1740 on: July 10, 2022, 07:41:28 AM »
After watching this thread for inspiration and with changed policies at work (they want us back 3 days a week in the office for no reason but micromanagement), I'm tentatively joining this cohort, although I'm keeping a foot in the original 2025 cohort until my reptile brain has stopped screaming at least based on a "if they don't change that policy, I'm out by end of the year" mindset. I'm done with corporatist bullshit, micromanagement, three hours of commuting a day, and not being given the slightest bit of flexibility at work.

It's a well-paid job and I've been saving 75% of the money, but with Mr Vashy willing to be a corporate cog for a while longer and the mortgage almost paid off, plus side gig opportunities, I think this can work. Meanwhile, the thought that I might have just 100 working days left - forever - makes me a little giddy.
You convinced me at rhree hour commute. Egads!

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1741 on: July 10, 2022, 09:30:40 AM »
You convinced me at rhree hour commute. Egads!

It's 1.5 hrs each way, but still a colossal waste of time, plus there are so many changes in there (walk, bus, train, walk, tube, walk) that focused creative work is nearly impossible, and even reading is only working on the long leg (train). I've tried audiobooks to get any use out of that time, but I'm not really an audio processing person...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1742 on: July 10, 2022, 11:15:41 AM »
Also GenX. I remember getting 10% on my savings account as a child. I tell people it ruined me for life.
I sat and worked out the math for myself to see how fast it would grow, and was greatly inspired to save more :)

Ibonds are yielding nearly 10% at the moment.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1743 on: July 11, 2022, 08:19:44 AM »

Reptile brain has stopped screaming - I'm joining here. Not sure exactly about the exact leaving date. If things go on as currently I might make it to 31 December, but if there's a "f&ck this sh!t" table-flipping moment, it could be much sooner. I'll be 47.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1744 on: July 12, 2022, 07:33:55 AM »
I'm done. 06/30/2022 (31). Disabling my morning alarm was the greatest feeling.

Congratulations!!!

luckyme13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1745 on: July 12, 2022, 12:55:19 PM »
I'm on Day 2 of my "peace out" of corporate work.  Yesterday I had my expected freak out because I knew I would and I accepted it as such.  I know I have a very hard time not doing all.the.things even though it wears me out.  And then I went to Target and freaked about food costs and losing my golden handcuffs.  Today is better.  I slept in, got through my personal inbox and did some lovely workouts.  Now I'll make some treats with my son once he's home from camp and hopefully chill with a good book on the porch tonight.
Life if a rollercoaster but at least I'm a bit more in charge of the speed.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1746 on: July 13, 2022, 02:54:29 AM »
Are you done now then @luckyme13?  Congratulations!  How were your final days in the office?

luckyme13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1747 on: July 13, 2022, 09:46:27 AM »
@LightTripper Yes my last day was on July 8th.  My final days were pretty anti-climatic as I work from home full time and my colleagues are all over the country so there wasn't a big happy hour or anything.  I had a Teams happy hour and it was okay but it felt a little blah after all of the relationships I've made to just log off and be done.   While I appreciate everything I got out of the job (travel, confidence, money, relationships) again after the amount of time I "served" it was pretty underwhelming overall. 

I'm extremely happy with my decision the longer I don't log into work.  Leaving during the summer really helps too!

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #1748 on: July 13, 2022, 09:47:30 AM »
It's scary isn't it?! My number was lean to start with and has dropped in between me giving notice and actually leaving. I'm sticking with it though.
Congratulations, well done!

Yes it is scary, and like you I feel that mine was also lean (before the drop). Although, I am a 'belt and braces' sort of a person, so there are some options.

arrintonpalmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1749 on: July 13, 2022, 02:57:28 PM »
I was talking to my wife yesterday about where we are at as my downshift is only about a month away. We we talking about how much of a bummer it is working away the day while the kids are young, and I said that even if it looked like the money were to magically run out, I would probably not look to get back to full time work until the kids were older. That streak of pessimism is probably irrational, but it looks like we will downshift while the economy is low.

She asked if I thought we would get to our "fat FI" number ever. The conversation reminded me to remind us that we have even more shares than we had when things were riding high at the end of '21. We've been buying shares as fast as we can all summer. Trying to remember that a downturn in the last months of accumulation is probably a bonus rather than a curse!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!