Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 403332 times)

RainyDay

• Bristles
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1300 on: January 13, 2022, 01:06:34 PM »
Updating the list!

skiscool                   1/1/2022 (49) (our first graduate!)
Boarder42               1/19/2022 (35)
rdy4er                     1/26/2022 (56)
dmmms                  1/31/2022 (52)
Igelfreundin            2/11/22 (46)
taco_sushi              mid-Feb 2022
friedmmj                end of Feb 2022 (55)
SteadyStache          3/4/2022 (no longer TBD!)
Mr. Dicey                Mar 2022
dashuk                   late Mar 2022 (39)
mermalaid               end of March 2022 (46)
mak1277                3/31/2022 (45)
NearlyThere            Mar/April 2022 (39)
Holocene                4/1/2022
lollylegs                  mid-April 2022 (59)
treffpunkt               Apr 2022 (49)
Much Fishing to Do  Apr 2022 (50)
Magnetic North        late April 2022
Blissful Biker           4/29/22 (49)
mspym                   4/31/2022 (48)
2Birds1Stone          5/1/2022
luckyme13              5/13/2022 (48)
80Westy                 5/20/2022 (50)
2KidFIRE                5/27/2022 (39)
Playing with Fire UK May/June 2022
shadesofgreen         6/3/2022 (45)
bowwowz                6/17/2022 (44)
ToughMother           June 2022
Roboturner              June 2022 (33)
swaneeSR                 7/1/2022 (56)
Bownyboy               Aug 2022
sheep_music           Aug 2022 (29)
skip207                  Aug 2022 (42)
the_gastropod         mid-Sept 2022
MisterA                   Sept 2022 (61)
frizzywhiskers          9/30/2022 (50)
slowroadtofreedom  Nov 2022
RainyDay                Dec 2022 (48)
DaTrill                     12/31/2022
matchewed             TBD
MisterA                   TBD
TomTX                    5LY from 2027?!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:54:16 PM by RainyDay »

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #1301 on: January 13, 2022, 03:02:15 PM »
Congrats @rdy4er and @mak1277 ! Isn't it a great feeling?

If there's a market correction, I'll tighten my belt and give up vacations. I'd also consider getting a roommate, moving to a cheaper area for a few years, or getting a job, if I'm in a country where I'm allowed to work. There are lots of ways to make $5-10k per year, and that amount would equal a third of my living expenses.

I can understand people wanting more security, but I'm just super aware of my mortality. Every extra year one of us spends working is a year less of our very limited life spans that we spend doing what we really want, whether that's spending time with family, volunteering, travel, or learning.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #1302 on: January 13, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »
I'm planning on doing the "almost FIRE" thing and 2022 is a good target. The goal is to have the mortgage paid off to keep monthly cash outflow low and maybe half the stache I would need for FI.

I'm a tax dude so I should not have a hard time finding seasonal/consulting work in the first few months of every year, and hopefully coast for the other 9 months on that. I think I would enjoy doing some one-off projects during the year as well, writing business plans, or setting up accounting systems, things like that to help small businesses.

Almost 6 years and zero updates later... I'm pretty much in this spot (maybe a little ahead thanks to the hot market). I don't think I knew the term "coastfire" when I posted, which is kind of what I was going for. I haven't paid the mortgage completely off but it's pretty small and I could if I wanted to.

At the moment I do not have plans to downshift, though. When covid hit and I was forced to work remotely, I found out it was the commute/being in a office that I really hated. I've since gone to a hybrid schedule of two days in the office, which is reasonable for me. I also do not currently have a passion that I want to pursue. I'm thankful to be in a spot to have options though, I know I can leave if I ever do get frustrated with the job or find a passion to work on - and I don't see myself ever working full time in an office again!

Congrats to everyone who has taken the leap!

SteadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1303 on: January 13, 2022, 04:55:25 PM »
Got the first paycheck of the year and received a 3.65% increase. Didn't get a COL last year. HR talk of a salary adjustment up to market did not manifest. Only thing to look forward to is getting last year's bonus due end of Q1. I keep wondering what is the point of continuing to work if my LNW increased 3.5x over my W2 in '21? DW would like me to stay until bonus, and part of me is wondering if the increase is true and will stick considering the dramatic increase in LNW.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1304 on: January 13, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »
I'm curious what my fellow 2022 retirees will do if we have a large market correction this year.  For example, I'm estimating that I'll reach my intended stache number by the end of the year.  But if we have a 20% correction, I definitely will not.  I understand SORR, but isn't that for AFTER a person retires? i.e., the plan is to have a one or two year buffer in cash or other fixed income, or some other plan to mitigate a drop after retiring.

What does everyone intend to do if there's a drop this year, prior to retiring?  OMY into 2023? 

I have a strong feeling we'll get a chance to find out.

Stay strong, friends.

skiscool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1305 on: January 13, 2022, 07:06:52 PM »
Please add me to your list for 01/01/2022.  I'm nearing my 2nd full week of no work and so far it's great.

I'm 49 and married with a 6 year old and my wife still working for at least another year.  My first plan was to buy a campground and put myself out to pasture for my 50s, working only summers and skiing in the winter. But, after touring a bunch of campgrounds and buying a few rental properties I've changed my mind. My new plan is to use the money I saved for the campground to try to make it to 59 and work on my rental properties to stay busy.

My favorite part is that I'm not telling anyone accept my wife and a few friends who don't live around here. No retirement party, no nothing.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #1306 on: January 14, 2022, 03:46:51 AM »
Coast fire.  If you want to ski, do it at 39 as you won't be able to at 49+ (there are of course exceptions).  At 39, you can take off a few years, coast and wait for some opportunities to find you in the future after skiing loses its luster (all hobbies do).     

The activity I will pursue shortly (requires international travel tricky now) has an expiration age around 60 and hoping to enjoy this hobby well before I hit that age.  If the number was lower, I'd FIRE now to enjoy the hobby when I can.  In my late 20's early 30's I was training with Olympic athletes and could not have done this even a few years in the future (and no chance now).  The few years I took off had no impact on my future prospects and it was fun.   

Some really good advice here from you @DaTrill and thank you @Dicey! My decision is made and i've the support of my wife in doing so. It cannot come soon enough, but I must maintain the corporate focus as best I can until I hand my notice in. You're absolutely right, it may lose lustre also, so sinking €400-600k into an apartment in another country (I live in Ireland) may not be the best move bearing that in mind. Every visit is £2-3k in travel costs before we start, so renting accommodation is certainly the wiser move.

What activity do you plan to pursue @DaTrill?

Congratulations @skiscool cool, can we be friends lol? We've a fairly similar story. I've a daughter of comparable age and i'm about to close on my first rental!! Just need to get that skiing nailed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:01:17 AM by NearlyThere »

mermalaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1307 on: January 14, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »
I'm finally committing to being added to this list too!

I intend to hand in notice next month and then leave work by the end of March.

I've been at the same company for over 17 years and had some sort of paying job since I was 12, I'm 46 now. Can't wait to take it easy for a while and spend more time being creative and in nature.

@RainyDay I have those same worries too sometimes but i can always reign in spending or go back to work if major market changes...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:14:12 AM by mermalaid »

taco_sushi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1308 on: January 14, 2022, 07:19:38 PM »
Reminder for tomorrow Jan 15 - Deadline to apply to Healthcare.gov for subsidized ACA health insurance.

I was reminded by this article today, got lucky :) 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/the-great-resignation-health-insurance-options-after-quitting-a-job.html

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1309 on: January 15, 2022, 04:34:53 AM »
Reminder for tomorrow Jan 15 - Deadline to apply to Healthcare.gov for subsidized ACA health insurance.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/the-great-resignation-health-insurance-options-after-quitting-a-job.html

Pretty sure you can get it any time by just letting them know you quit your job.

taco_sushi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1310 on: January 15, 2022, 10:08:37 AM »

Pretty sure you can get it any time by just letting them know you quit your job.

Thanks! I just found the Special Enrollment exceptions here:

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #1311 on: January 15, 2022, 12:24:03 PM »
Coast fire.  If you want to ski, do it at 39 as you won't be able to at 49+ (there are of course exceptions).  At 39, you can take off a few years, coast and wait for some opportunities to find you in the future after skiing loses its luster (all hobbies do).     

The activity I will pursue shortly (requires international travel tricky now) has an expiration age around 60 and hoping to enjoy this hobby well before I hit that age.  If the number was lower, I'd FIRE now to enjoy the hobby when I can.  In my late 20's early 30's I was training with Olympic athletes and could not have done this even a few years in the future (and no chance now).  The few years I took off had no impact on my future prospects and it was fun.   

Some really good advice here from you @DaTrill and thank you @Dicey! My decision is made and i've the support of my wife in doing so. It cannot come soon enough, but I must maintain the corporate focus as best I can until I hand my notice in. You're absolutely right, it may lose lustre also, so sinking €400-600k into an apartment in another country (I live in Ireland) may not be the best move bearing that in mind. Every visit is £2-3k in travel costs before we start, so renting accommodation is certainly the wiser move.

Congratulations @skiscool cool, can we be friends lol? We've a fairly similar story. I've a daughter of comparable age and i'm about to close on my first rental!! Just need to get that skiing nailed.

Semi-extreme water sport where when one crashed it's on water and not the ground (mountain biking) or hard snow (skiing).  Any sport with impact must be done with great care after 40.  It's also a lot different being a weekend warrior where impacts happen 1-2/week and when FIRE where one can do an activity every day, but body does not adjust to FIRE, it's still old.  I also make sure where I live is accessible with a twisted ankle (no stairs) and close to food if transportation is compromised.       

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1312 on: January 16, 2022, 06:01:18 PM »
Please add me to the 2022 list, targeting May 20th to make my retirement effective while I’m still 50.  Dropped out of the 2021 cohort due to fear of what people would think of me, lack of detailed planning, etc. Planning to use 72t rule to withdrawal  ~$54k annually from 1.5mm stash. Healthcare.gov gives me hope that those costs can be managed. Employer in Detroit just completed a massive merger and the net result is good folks leaving or retiring in droves. No one is getting replaced. Those that stay just have 2x work handed to them with sporadic raises that don’t come close to matching COL. Been working since starting on a paper route in 1981 and I just need a break. Don’t hate my actual job, but the corporate handcuffs that make the job harder unnecessarily are getting worse and harder to accept each year.  Good luck to all of you planning to pull the plug this year - if you’re like me, you don’t have a lot of folks you can confide in about FIRE except your spouse.

Thinking about giving 2 months notice - it seems like enough but not that it matters since new ceo sees attrition as a positive.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #1313 on: January 17, 2022, 06:49:43 AM »

Semi-extreme water sport where when one crashed it's on water and not the ground (mountain biking) or hard snow (skiing).  Any sport with impact must be done with great care after 40.  It's also a lot different being a weekend warrior where impacts happen 1-2/week and when FIRE where one can do an activity every day, but body does not adjust to FIRE, it's still old.  I also make sure where I live is accessible with a twisted ankle (no stairs) and close to food if transportation is compromised.       

I've jet ski'd and kite surfed before and if you come off that at speed or hit the water at pace, it feels like hitting concrete. There's definitely an expiration on being comfortable doing sports with an inherent risk. Its not always you that you need to worry about, but those around you also.

The family are isolating this week as there has been a cluster outbreak in our daughters school. She's brought it into our home and we've all tested positive. Seemingly a fairly mild strain so far. Thankful to get it all at once and not have any complications as such. I've fully vaxxed and boosted also, so assuming thats helped somewhat.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: January 17, 2022, 06:51:49 AM »

I've jet ski'd and kite surfed before and if you come off that at speed or hit the water at pace, it feels like hitting concrete. There's definitely an expiration on being comfortable doing sports with an inherent risk. Its not always you that you need to worry about, but those around you also.

The family are isolating this week as there has been a cluster outbreak in our daughters school. She's brought it into our home and we've all tested positive. Seemingly a fairly mild strain so far. Thankful to get it all at once and not have any complications as such. I've fully vaxxed and boosted also, so assuming thats helped somewhat.

i basically quit wakeboarding and only surf now - b/c i'm 6'4 and i'd like to be able to hike my whole life and wakeboarding was definitely starting to take a toll on my knees.

SteadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1315 on: January 17, 2022, 03:01:42 PM »
Well I woke up today and during the drive to work, I felt a big compulsion to resign. DW was home with the kids due to the holiday, and the traffic was sparse, but as soon as I sat down, I felt no desire to do anything else all morning but give notice to resign. Last day is March 4th. Felt really nervous, and still in disbelief of what just transpired. Hope I made the right decision. I have nothing lined up, other than about 27x in LNW with 2.5x of it in cash. I may consider options if they're given.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:04:12 PM by SteadyStache »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1316 on: January 17, 2022, 03:06:35 PM »
Well I woke up today and during the drive to work, I felt a big compulsion to resign. DH was home with the kids due to the holiday, and the traffic was sparse, but as soon as I sat down, I felt no desire to do anything else all morning but give notice to resign. Last day is March 4th. Felt really nervous, and still in disbelief of what just transpired. Hope I made the right decision. I have nothing ligned up, other than about 27x in LNW with 2.5x of it in cash. I may consider options if they're given.
Do I read this correctly that you resigned today and that the end date is 3/4/22? Congrats! Definitely a mental event that takes some time to process even if you've been thinking about it for years.

SteadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1317 on: January 17, 2022, 04:07:04 PM »
Do I read this correctly that you resigned today and that the end date is 3/4/22? Congrats! Definitely a mental event that takes some time to process even if you've been thinking about it for years.

Yup, last day is 3.4.22. Feeling a little better now, but it's been eerily quiet and not a peep from upper management or HR since I sent the email about 2 hrs ago.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1318 on: January 17, 2022, 10:26:57 PM »
DH has been informed of the general structure of downshifting, but not the details. He will be a contractor, at a rate yet to be named, some time in the next couple of months. The first person he told was very much "A contractor, are you crazy, why would you give up your benefits?!" So now he is telling people that he is working out a solution to become a digital nomad. And his manager is walking on eggshells to give him space and time so that he doesn't walk away before he gets converted. Semi, rather than early, is looking more and more like a sure thing for him. Although, at 38, I guess it is early-semi.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:36:56 AM by ixtap »

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1319 on: January 18, 2022, 05:19:24 AM »
The group list is gelling fast.  I think you can safely move back my FIRE date to "April 2022" as the bonus I'm waiting on is gonna be later than usual.  I'll be 50.

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #1320 on: January 18, 2022, 05:42:45 AM »
Now I've started my last year, I'm very aware of annual type work tasks and events.

For example, I've gone back to work after a Christmas break for the last time. Right now is the last winter when I'll have to get up early to go to work. No more end of year work, because I won't be there this time! Feels nice, but weird after so long at work!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1321 on: January 18, 2022, 06:16:05 AM »
Well my last day is supposed to be tomorrow.  My work is trying really hard to keep me around.  At this point i may not have to work at all the rest of the year but i get to keep my stock an extra year which is worth 90k.  so does being employed part time but not having an commitments to actually do any work at all still count as being retired. 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1322 on: January 18, 2022, 06:54:27 AM »
Well my last day is supposed to be tomorrow.  My work is trying really hard to keep me around.  At this point i may not have to work at all the rest of the year but i get to keep my stock an extra year which is worth 90k.  so does being employed part time but not having an commitments to actually do any work at all still count as being retired.

Your question has been submitted to the Internet Retirement Police.

They will be with you shortly.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #1323 on: January 18, 2022, 09:46:41 AM »
Please put me down for 29 Apr 22.  I'll be 49. 

I gave my notice in Oct 21 with the intention of being done by the end of year but they are desparately short handed.  A bit of altruism and a healthy bonus convinced me to extend part time to the end of April.  Looking forward to a fabulous spring and summer out on the trails.

My intention is to decompress and play for a year or two and then find a way to support the energy transition.  Not yet sure what that will look like - paid work vs volunteering, but I have lots of time to figure it out.

luckyme13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1324 on: January 18, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »
Add me too please.  My last day will be either May 13th or July 8th.  Depends on payouts for commission part of my plan.  I'll be 48.  Can't wait to clear my head again.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1325 on: January 18, 2022, 05:10:36 PM »

You can call off the dogs HR shutdown the idea. Though I was unlikely to accept it anyway.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1326 on: January 18, 2022, 05:32:47 PM »

You can call off the dogs HR shutdown the idea. Though I was unlikely to accept it anyway.

Yeah, for all you hear about flexibility and new working conditions, Megacorp could not come up with a solution whereby DH was technically just on call for problem solving and got to keep his RSUs. Especially if he wasn't willing to be in the office two days a week. Contractors can work remotely, but not employees. And consultants are the people the vendors of testing equipment send for training, not someone you call when you team has tied the code up in knots and bloated it to twice the allowed size.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1327 on: January 18, 2022, 05:50:05 PM »

Yeah I've thought about starting my notice with a request to become a contract employee for 2-3 days a week. And if they say nay then just end it in a few months.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1328 on: January 18, 2022, 06:12:35 PM »

Yeah I've thought about starting my notice with a request to become a contract employee for 2-3 days a week. And if they say nay then just end it in a few months.

This was my bosses solution to the fact that former employees are never allowed to contract back. To keep a simple door open. With very low negative impacts to the company. Funny how the company not only kills employee flexibility but company flexibility.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1329 on: January 19, 2022, 05:05:33 AM »

This was my bosses solution to the fact that former employees are never allowed to contract back. To keep a simple door open. With very low negative impacts to the company. Funny how the company not only kills employee flexibility but company flexibility.

Yeah I'm lucky to be in an industry where contracting is not unusual. It's not super common but people do it. Just got to be good and confident enough..

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1330 on: January 19, 2022, 05:16:10 AM »

Yeah I'm lucky to be in an industry where contracting is not unusual. It's not super common but people do it. Just got to be good and confident enough..

It's very common. My company has very dated rules.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1331 on: January 19, 2022, 06:34:11 AM »
Well that's just plain silly. It also keeps the company from having a broader talent pool.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1332 on: January 19, 2022, 06:52:33 AM »
Well that's just plain silly. It also keeps the company from having a broader talent pool.

We have contractors you just cannot be a contractor once you left as an employee.  You have to come back on as an employee if you come back.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1333 on: January 19, 2022, 06:52:53 AM »
Last day less than 5 hours of work left.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1334 on: January 19, 2022, 07:13:22 AM »
Cheers

dmmms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1335 on: January 19, 2022, 07:22:57 AM »
As I get oh, so close to my last day, I wanted to introduce myself a bit!

I had planned to retire in June, but, as a school administrator during COVID, CRT/current climate, and the like, just couldn't find it in myself to continue any longer. I am one of the lucky ones whose pension will start right away (took a % hit for earlier than 55) and includes health benefits (will pay a %); leaving five months earlier isn't much of an impact and spouse will continue to work for a year or two longer. We won't be touching our retirement $ until ~60+, but planned for the gap from now to then with 457b $, but it'll sit until spouse is ready to retire. Only child is through college and mostly on their own, too.

Really really trying not to plan much as I know recovery is SO needed, but can't help but explore ideas for my next life! Vacation scheduled for March, lots of house organizing, exercise and recovery from an injury. Will likely spend much of my first month retired at the job of PT!

Been on MMM since 2013 when I had an aha moment which led to getting the $ together. Exited Valic and AXA into Vanguard, forgave myself for not figuring it out sooner, and haven't looked back! Really excited about the next phase for myself and for all of us! Scary, but exciting, for sure!

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1336 on: January 19, 2022, 08:55:33 AM »
Been on MMM since 2013 when I had an aha moment which led to getting the $ together. Exited Valic and AXA into Vanguard, forgave myself for not figuring it out sooner, and haven't looked back! Really excited about the next phase for myself and for all of us! Scary, but exciting, for sure!

That's amazing that you've been on this journey for almost a decade!  I found MMM in late 2018 and while the time has flown by, I'm glad I didn't have 10-ish years to slog through.  Congrats!  You're nearly there!

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1337 on: January 19, 2022, 09:01:30 AM »

What kind of "work" happens in those 5 hours?  Congrats on getting to the finish line!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1338 on: January 19, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »

What kind of "work" happens in those 5 hours?  Congrats on getting to the finish line!

haha not alot - mostly people coming by to say congrats!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1339 on: January 19, 2022, 12:06:25 PM »
And I'm officially out. Already back home. Badge turned in.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1340 on: January 19, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »

Congrats!  Does it feel weird yet?  Any nostalgia?  When did you start counting down? 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1341 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »

Congrats!  Does it feel weird yet?  Any nostalgia?  When did you start counting down?

We kinda abruptly hit FI in Feb 2021 read thru the first part of my journal and that's a great summary.

Doesn't feel weird. Don't have nostalgia yet. But we'll see how life goes.

Honestly I've got people hitting me up to talk about how to do this. Which I love to share this knowledge so I'm pretty elated with how this has all gone down.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:43:36 PM by boarder42 »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1342 on: January 19, 2022, 01:08:12 PM »
Woot woot! Congratulations 🎊

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #1343 on: January 19, 2022, 01:09:53 PM »

Whoot!  Congratulations!!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1344 on: January 19, 2022, 01:42:16 PM »
Grats

SteadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1345 on: January 19, 2022, 02:02:09 PM »
Nicely done. Congratulations!

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #1346 on: January 19, 2022, 02:33:57 PM »
Congrats!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1347 on: January 19, 2022, 02:38:26 PM »
You guys are great.  Love this community.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1348 on: January 19, 2022, 02:43:30 PM »
Oohhh, livestreaming retirement!

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #1349 on: January 19, 2022, 03:29:28 PM »
Congratulations!  Hope you have a great decompression phase (or whatever it is that comes next for you!)