Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 402876 times)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1200 on: January 04, 2022, 03:17:29 PM »
Just gave word to HR about my retirement.  Will be done by end Feb woohoo!

Congrats!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1201 on: January 04, 2022, 03:50:15 PM »
T minus 24 hours til I blow my bosses mind?  Haha feel like he knows but maybe not.

Good luck!  Have you worked out your talking points or just going to wing it?

I'm also curious how this encounter goes. What is your strategy?

See above. Not much strategy.

I mean what strategy is necessary in these situations. I'm planning to leave I'm telling them I'm leaving I'm not attempting to sway them to give me an offer that I can't refuse.

Guessed I'd be interested in what people's thoughts are on that.  I'm texting my boss at 730am bc he is typically in by 8am that Im.in office and would like to swing by to discuss something when he gets in. Technically my bosses boss. So if he blows it off my actual boss appears to have time so I'll go tell him and that will likely clear up the big guys schedule to talk bc my boss has no power to try to keep me and can just ask questions that I'll answer similarly. Time with family travel blah blah blah.

Perhaps “strategy” wasn’t the clearest choice of words. What I meant was how are you planning on doing it. Some leave a formal letter, for others it’s an in person conversation. Some will give in depth reasons while others leave it short (eg “this serves to inform you of my two weeks notice, effective today, signed ‘employee’). There was an entire thread on this maybe two years ago, but I think you missed it.

You answered some of that unread.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1202 on: January 04, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »

Way to go! 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1203 on: January 04, 2022, 03:52:33 PM »
T minus 24 hours til I blow my bosses mind?  Haha feel like he knows but maybe not.

I'm also curious how this encounter goes. What is your strategy?

See above. Not much strategy.

I mean what strategy is necessary in these situations. I'm planning to leave I'm telling them I'm leaving I'm not attempting to sway them to give me an offer that I can't refuse.

Guessed I'd be interested in what people's thoughts are on that.  I'm texting my boss at 730am bc he is typically in by 8am that Im.in office and would like to swing by to discuss something when he gets in. Technically my bosses boss. So if he blows it off my actual boss appears to have time so I'll go tell him and that will likely clear up the big guys schedule to talk bc my boss has no power to try to keep me and can just ask questions that I'll answer similarly. Time with family travel blah blah blah.

Perhaps “strategy” wasn’t the clearest choice of words. What I meant was how are you planning on doing it. Some leave a formal letter, for others it’s an in person conversation. Some will give in depth reasons while others leave it short (eg “this serves to inform you of my two weeks notice, effective today, signed ‘employee’). There was an entire thread on this maybe two years ago, but I think you missed it.

You answered some of that unread.

Yeah. Our company is pretty clear on the required policy to get paid my PTO out. I like my bosses boss so I feel I owe it to do it in person. But I'll leave afterwards to work from home.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1204 on: January 04, 2022, 06:13:15 PM »

Say what you want about the rest of his Presidency, Nixon knew how to retire. Short and to the point. No justification or explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_resignation#/media/File:Letter_of_Resignation_of_Richard_M._Nixon,_1974.jpg

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #1205 on: January 04, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »

Congrats!!

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #1206 on: January 04, 2022, 07:32:29 PM »
At my previous job, I had to turn in three different resignation forms months before leaving as someone didn't want me to resign.  You also can't casually ask someone in management "So how do I resign from this dump?" and not expect some blowback.  An anonymous person in HR might be a good contact, if that exists in your organization.   

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #1207 on: January 05, 2022, 02:41:21 AM »
Congrats to everyone that has given notice so far. Got off to a cracking start, team of 2022.

Looking forward to stories as they unfold.

Mine is a bit dull so far, I’m waiting until end of October unless I get early release. Most of you will already have quit, so I’ll have to live vicariously as you share your thoughts!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1208 on: January 05, 2022, 08:39:24 AM »
I submitted my retirement -
My direct boss was a bit shocked.  But excited for me.  He asked if there was anything that could be done to keep me around and I said i was open to offers but I'm not sure what that would be.
My VP wants to throw a party like we would for someone who leaves at a more normal age.  And shine a light on the opportunities we have.  He also offered contract lump sum based business consulting if I wanted to do that in the future b/c they value my input and creativity.  So we'll see if I do any of that.

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1209 on: January 05, 2022, 09:19:18 AM »
I submitted my retirement -

Congratulations!  It sounds like things went just about as well as you could hope for :)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1210 on: January 05, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
He also offered contract lump sum based business consulting if I wanted to do that in the future b/c they value my input and creativity.  So we'll see if I do any of that.

That great that you have the option.  You never know what may happen in the future that you might want to supplement your income.  Congrats!  Sounds like a great outcome.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1211 on: January 05, 2022, 09:51:12 AM »
Good shit, and of course you will :)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1212 on: January 05, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »
At my previous job, I had to turn in three different resignation forms months before leaving as someone didn't want me to resign.  You also can't casually ask someone in management "So how do I resign from this dump?" and not expect some blowback.  An anonymous person in HR might be a good contact, if that exists in your organization.   

Email a resignation letter (example linked below) to your management chain and HR.

Stop showing up after the last day you say you will work. What are they going to do, drag you from your house?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_resignation#/media/File:Letter_of_Resignation_of_Richard_M._Nixon,_1974.jpg

Anyway, congratulations to all of the recently resigned :D

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #1213 on: January 05, 2022, 01:05:17 PM »
DH was originally planning to resign in mid-January, but decided to hang on a little longer and take paternity leave this year (we're having a baby!). So his new date is late August or so.

Can't wait for him to join me...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1214 on: January 05, 2022, 01:14:20 PM »
DH was originally planning to resign in mid-January, but decided to hang on a little longer and take paternity leave this year (we're having a baby!). So his new date is late August or so.

congrats - there is always a reason to take the road most trodden. Takes alot of will power to step off.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #1215 on: January 05, 2022, 05:04:44 PM »

congrats - there is always a reason to take the road most trodden. Takes alot of will power to step off.

You're not wrong... But we looked at the math on his paternity leave (he gets fully paid for 4 months, plus his company is talking about giving employees liquidity for vested stock partway through the year). Which is just, a huge amount of money for < 3 months of actual work that he would have to do. Plus then we don't have to worry about health insurance changes around the time of the baby's birth.

I'm antsy about it. I quit early last year and I really want to be able to spend more time with him. But at the same time... it's a time/money ratio that's hard to pass up, and that is fairly unique.

You can start beating me over the head with broomsticks about it if August comes around and we're talking about him staying even later :-)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1216 on: January 05, 2022, 05:08:38 PM »

You're not wrong... But we looked at the math on his paternity leave (he gets fully paid for 4 months, plus his company is talking about giving employees liquidity for vested stock partway through the year). Which is just, a huge amount of money for < 3 months of actual work that he would have to do. Plus then we don't have to worry about health insurance changes around the time of the baby's birth.

I'm antsy about it. I quit early last year and I really want to be able to spend more time with him. But at the same time... it's a time/money ratio that's hard to pass up, and that is fairly unique.

You can start beating me over the head with broomsticks about it if August comes around and we're talking about him staying even later :-)

We did similar thing. I took a 12 week FMLA to get to some big end of year bonuses and worked an extra 4 months or so to get those

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1217 on: January 05, 2022, 05:13:49 PM »

Email a resignation letter (example linked below) to your management chain and HR.

Stop showing up after the last day you say you will work. What are they going to do, drag you from your house?

Anyway, congratulations to all of the recently resigned :D

Yeah I was a little perplexed by that as well.  "What do you mean I can't quit?"   Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode about breaking up with someone who refuses to accept it. 

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1218 on: January 05, 2022, 05:30:20 PM »
Already FI.  I thought I was going RE, or RE-lite in 2022, but now I'm not so sure.

I had plans for travel and adventure, but recently two close extended family members got chronic illness that will eventually be fatal.  I'm sticking around to help with logistics instead of traveling.  I don't mind my job, so I figure I'll work until early 2023.

I'm working through how long to delay the adventures.  It seems insensitive to leave with them in this "new" sick state.  But they could be around for 10 years, and I'm not going to put my bucket list off indefinitely.

I wonder how often this excuse is used as an excuse for OMY syndrome?  :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1219 on: January 05, 2022, 06:05:05 PM »
Already FI.  I thought I was going RE, or RE-lite in 2022, but now I'm not so sure.

I had plans for travel and adventure, but recently two close extended family members got chronic illness that will eventually be fatal.  I'm sticking around to help with logistics instead of traveling.  I don't mind my job, so I figure I'll work until early 2023.

I'm working through how long to delay the adventures.  It seems insensitive to leave with them in this "new" sick state.  But they could be around for 10 years, and I'm not going to put my bucket list off indefinitely.

But you don't have to keep working just bc you can't Perma travel

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #1220 on: January 05, 2022, 06:41:57 PM »
I've just read through this thread and would like to join. I gave my boss my six months' notice in August. (I knew she wouldn't fire me and she was about to transfer a lot of responsibilities  that I knew she'd reconsider if I was leaving.) She was flabbergasted but has had time to adjust. We announced it to my team- I supervise ten people- a few weeks ago. Today I sent to resignation letter to HR. It's beginning to feel real! I hope this entire cohort can experience that soon.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1221 on: January 05, 2022, 06:55:03 PM »
I've just read through this thread and would like to join. I gave my boss my six months' notice in August. (I knew she wouldn't fire me and she was about to transfer a lot of responsibilities  that I knew she'd reconsider if I was leaving.) She was flabbergasted but has had time to adjust. We announced it to my team- I supervise ten people- a few weeks ago. Today I sent to resignation letter to HR. It's beginning to feel real! I hope this entire cohort can experience that soon.

Congrats. Great feeling isn't it.

taco_sushi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1222 on: January 05, 2022, 07:22:58 PM »

Wow 6-months notice, thats a record! Congratulations for reaching the finish line! woohoo!

taco_sushi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1223 on: January 05, 2022, 07:25:29 PM »
It's almost 2022, the year of this cohort's retirement!  Should we start a rolling log of people who FIRE?  Several people have already announced dates.

Boarder42               1/19/2022  (are you our cohort's first FIREee??)
Much Fishing to Do  end of Feb 2022
friedmmj                end of Feb 2022
Mr. Dicey                Mar 2022
NearlyThere            Mar/April 2022
Holocene                4/1/2022
lollylegs                  mid-April 2022
2Birds1Stone          5/1/2022
Playing with Fire UK May/June 2022
ToughMother           June 2022
Bownyboy               Aug 2022
the_gastropod         mid-Sept 2022
frizzywhiskers          9/30/2022
slowroadtofreedom  Nov 2022
RainyDay                Dec 2022

Late party joiner, adding myself to the list for mid-Feb!
(Markets blessed me in 2021, and moved my initial plan up from July. Feeling grateful)

Boarder42               1/19/2022  (are you our cohort's first FIREee??)
taco_sushi               mid Feb 2022
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:27:34 PM by taco_sushi »

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #1224 on: January 06, 2022, 04:37:25 AM »

Wow 6-months notice, thats a record! Congratulations for reaching the finish line! woohoo!

Congrats Igelfreundin! Six months notice is a long time; I have 12. Seems like an eternity but I know time will pass….

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1225 on: January 06, 2022, 05:20:13 AM »
Added Igelfreundin as well!  SlowRoad and I are the tail end, watching everyone drop off happily.  I'm very interested to hear the discussions as people negotiate the psychological aspect of it.  After being a "saver" for so long, I'm not sure how well I'll transition to drawing-down.

Boarder42               1/19/2022 
Igelfreundin            early Feb 2022
taco_sushi              mid-Feb 2022
Magnetic North        late April 2022
mspym                   4/31/2022
2KidFIRE                end of May 2022
TomTX                    OLY from 2023?!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1226 on: January 06, 2022, 05:29:04 AM »
@RainyDay I covered alot of my thought process in my journal over the last year as we hit FI abruptly 2 years ahead of plan in feb 2021.  We hit it abruptly due to market returns and a shift to a safer(faster recovery decreases SORR) asset allocation that has more upside (sounds like an oxymoron but its not historically). 

As for transitioning to drawdown I'm cheating that system while rates are low by margin borrowing against my taxable account.  I'm not too vocal about this b/c it can magnify SORR but due to our situation its unlikely to be an issue.  And we very likely never have to sell a share of stock or tap our roth contributions unless rates return to greater than 7%. 

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1227 on: January 06, 2022, 06:57:43 AM »

You're right.  And I've been mulling this over.  It's complicated.  Maybe this deserves it's own post.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1228 on: January 06, 2022, 07:41:26 AM »

You're right.  And I've been mulling this over.  It's complicated.  Maybe this deserves it's own post.

could totally pull some reduced full time or go to part time if you just want some work and use this as a brilliant excuse for the reason.  Companies can't say no to medical stuff esp if they want to keep you around.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1229 on: January 06, 2022, 07:55:21 AM »

could totally pull some reduced full time or go to part time if you just want some work and use this as a brilliant excuse for the reason.  Companies can't say no to medical stuff esp if they want to keep you around.

Heck, we have several examples of people saying "I quit" and their companies coming back with "But what about..." Makes sense to think about your alternatives and propose them yourself.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1230 on: January 06, 2022, 07:56:29 AM »

Heck, we have several examples of people saying "I quit" and their companies coming back with "But what about..." Makes sense to think about your alternatives and propose them yourself.

thats true my bosses first response was will more money help- i should have said how much?

second was have you thought about part time.

should have retired in feb and said yeah i'll do part time til jan 2022 for my current pay at half the hours.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1231 on: January 06, 2022, 08:04:29 AM »

thats true my bosses first response was will more money help- i should have said how much?

second was have you thought about part time.

should have retired in feb and said yeah i'll do part time til jan 2022 for my current pay at half the hours.

DH hasn't been so far off from this for 2021. Unfortunately, all the extra time has gone into obsessing over a work related hobby, so I have actually seen less of him since he took that up a few months ago. Well, I can see him as much as I like, as long as I am willing to watch him be obsessive and not like ask what he wants for dinner and expect an answer related to eating, as opposed to coding.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1232 on: January 06, 2022, 09:18:01 AM »
It's interesting that our awesome cohort is fairly light in numbers on a relative basis.  I count 21 of us based on above list.  I'm wondering if this is because we seemingly got a late start on having an actual list and there are a lot of other folks who will be chiming in on their participation.

For comparison, the 2021 cohort as of early Jan-2021 was around 75 folks.

By the way, I just turned 55.  I enjoy seeing the ages on the list for those of us who are inclined to share that info.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:23:21 AM by friedmmj »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1233 on: January 06, 2022, 10:05:09 AM »
It's interesting that our awesome cohort is fairly light in numbers on a relative basis.  I count 21 of us based on above list.  I'm wondering if this is because we seemingly got a late start on having an actual list and there are a lot of other folks who will be chiming in on their participation.

By the way, I just turned 55.  I enjoy seeing the ages on the list for those of us who are inclined to share that info.

I was part of a low birth rate cohort all through school, so y'all can blame that on me...this is why everyone forgets about Gen X.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1234 on: January 06, 2022, 10:15:05 AM »

@RainyDay

Ya'll can add me for June 2022 @ 33

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1235 on: January 06, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »
i'm down for ages - i'm 35

SteadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1236 on: January 06, 2022, 10:38:15 AM »
Have plans to RE sometime this year. Looked over my expenses and realized that if I remove my term life policy, I'll be 28X now. Term life policy isn't much and we'd be 28x really soon anyhow.

Currently in some projects and being pushed to spearhead a few more at work. Can't say anything to management about my eventual departure (sometime) this year now, but hoping that my involvement with these projects will give me options for contract or PT work when I leave. Thinking about giving a 1-month notice when I'm ready.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1237 on: January 06, 2022, 10:41:46 AM »
My plan is still for June 3, 2022. Waiting for some medical things and I plan on moving states so wanting to take my time when looking at properties.

I will be 45.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1238 on: January 06, 2022, 10:59:02 AM »
Have plans to RE sometime this year. Looked over my expenses and realized that if I remove my term life policy, I'll be 28X now. Term life policy isn't much and we'd be 28x really soon anyhow.

Currently in some projects and being pushed to spearhead a few more at work. Can't say anything to management about my eventual departure (sometime) this year now, but hoping that my involvement with these projects will give me options for contract or PT work when I leave. Thinking about giving a 1-month notice when I'm ready.

if thats what you're hoping for why not just ask for it now.

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1239 on: January 06, 2022, 12:03:51 PM »
Please add me to 2022.

My plan is for 7/1/2022 at age 56.

Doesn’t seem very early. Or late compared to many.

SwaneeSR 7/1/2022    56.

I guess it is better than original plan at age 60 or the recent plan of age 58. The markets have exceeded all expectation. The loss of a few close friends and coworkers recently is also a factor ( not meant to be morbid ).

SwaneeSR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dashuk

• Bristles
« Reply #1240 on: January 06, 2022, 12:35:23 PM »
So, two interesting things have landed today:

- On my doormat, the paperwork confirming that a liveaboard sailing catamaran sat in a boatyard a couple of hundred miles from here is now our property.
 - In my manager's inbox, my resignation from my job of the last sixteen years.

So, erm, I guess count me in.

Are we actually FI? Well kind of...

Pre-pandemic, we were several years away, but happily living in a paid-off house, with expenses well under control, and still saving despite me working part-time and OH being a full-time parent to our two kids.

Then I was able to turn pandemic WFH into indefinite contractual WFH, and we turned pandemic home-education into indefinite home-ed, so we decided to relocate. We moved in with my parents temporarily (we said for a few months, ha, it's now fourteen and counting) so we could clean up and sell the house empty and because they are closer to where we were looking to buy.

We *very* nearly bought a house, and that would have been that, back to FI in about 2028. But we ended up pulling out based on survey/searches.

We'd talked about sailing for some time, and liveaboard cruising from when we committed to home-ed, but then decided "no, we'll just go live on the coast first".

But there we were, with a big pile of cash freshly landed in our account from the house sale, and distinctly unenthused by the idea of starting to look again in a hot market.

So why not just try it?

Living on a boat that cost ~20% of what our house sold for, and investing the rest makes us FI at 130% of our spending level in a house.

At some point we will want a house, but that could play out in a few ways...

- we only do a few years and spend quite a lot, and we cease to be FI when we buy a house.

- it works out well for a longer period and our spending is lower, and we are still FI when we buy a house because the stash has grown.

- we do it for even longer until the kids are independent, and stay FI because we can buy a smaller house.

I'm 39. Will be finishing late March. Hopefully We'll be afloat on my 40th birthday.

SteadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1241 on: January 06, 2022, 12:45:09 PM »

if thats what you're hoping for why not just ask for it now.

I would like to say I'm waiting to see the numbers for the salary adjustment due before 1st paycheck of the year and the 2021 bonus due by end of Q1. In prior years, bonus = 4-6 weeks pay, but any new money won't move the needle much. However, truth be told, it's mainly apprehension for the next phase - wondering if my numbers and calculations are correct. OMY or few more months would provide buffer for my insecurity.

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #1242 on: January 06, 2022, 01:20:34 PM »

Gen X malaise is probably why the numbers are down ;)  More Gen Xers will populate the next few years of FIRE devotees.

I'm in this group but not sure the date.  WFH was extended until year end 2022 so probably 12/31/2022 (minus accrued vacation/sick days) will be last day for me.  BUT, I'm a serial mini-retiree and who knows if another opportunity will fall in my lap in 2023 and beyond.     

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #1243 on: January 06, 2022, 01:43:27 PM »

How were the 2019 and 2020 cohorts? I wonder how much of this is just a "pandemic effect" of a bunch of people moving their date forward/backward to be during COVID. That's kinda what happened to me; I was originally 2022 but OLYed into 2021.

Also, my spouse @sheep_music_generator says you can put him down for August @ age 29.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1244 on: January 06, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »
I still intend to FIRE in 2022. I haven't picked a date yet but I believe I'm ready.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1245 on: January 06, 2022, 02:45:42 PM »
Lots of input today!  Let me know if I missed anyone.  Ages are in parenthesis.  We're now at 26 people, not including the TBDers.

Boarder42               1/19/2022 (35)
Igelfreundin            early Feb 2022
taco_sushi              mid-Feb 2022
friedmmj                end of Feb 2022 (55)
dashuk                   late Mar 2022 (39)
Magnetic North        late April 2022
mspym                   4/31/2022
2KidFIRE                end of May 2022
shadesofgreen         6/3/2022 (45)
bowwowz                6/17/2022 (44)
Roboturner              June 2022 (33)
swaneesr                 7/1/2022 (56)
sheep_music           Aug 2022 (29)
frizzywhiskers          9/30/2022 (50)
RainyDay                Dec 2022 (48)
DaTrill                     12/31/2022
SteadyStache          TBD
matchewed             TBD
TomTX                    OLY from 2023?!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:08:51 PM by RainyDay »

bowwowz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1246 on: January 06, 2022, 02:58:14 PM »
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring as a long time lurker, first time poster. Our date is set for 6/17/22 at age 44. I think I can hold out that long and be ready to enjoy the New England summer.

Working from home has helped somewhat, but the stress is really getting old and I've got a serious case of senioritis.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for everyone!

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #1247 on: January 06, 2022, 03:11:55 PM »
You can put my age down as 50!  Thx!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1248 on: January 06, 2022, 04:01:24 PM »
I wonder how much of this is just a "pandemic effect" of a bunch of people moving their date forward/backward to be during COVID. That's kinda what happened to me; I was originally 2022 but OLYed into 2021.
Same happened to me. I was planning on march 2022 to get one last set of bonus and options maturing, instead got laid off in May and paid through end of September. Much better outcome for me. I just never signed up for 2021.

At the same time I saw a lot of other 50ish people losing jobs on the board, companies dumping their pricey employees.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1249 on: January 06, 2022, 05:55:13 PM »
I'll be 48 when I FIRE, Ofpym is staying in the 2024 cohort and will be out at 50 as per our original plan. Proudly Gen X Slackers.