Author Topic: 2021 FIRE Cohort  (Read 219042 times)

Ladychips

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #1400 on: September 07, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »
AndÖ I already the quit the freelance job I was supposed to start today. Even though itís something I always thought I wanted to do, I was dreading it all weekend. And having panic attacks seeing emails related to it coming in over the weekend. It turns out that I REALLY resent the idea of professional obligations of any kind right now. Maybe that will change and the door is still open to future work. But instead of sitting at my desk this afternoon, I get to go swim in the river with my niece and her other auntie. And then assemble a worm composter. Iím surprised that I donít want to do this job at all. But Iím going to go with my gut! Itís weird and wonderful to be in a position to turn down work.

I LOVE that you listened to your gut.  Yea you!

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1401 on: September 07, 2021, 07:57:01 PM »
AndÖ I already the quit the freelance job I was supposed to start today. Even though itís something I always thought I wanted to do, I was dreading it all weekend. And having panic attacks seeing emails related to it coming in over the weekend. It turns out that I REALLY resent the idea of professional obligations of any kind right now. Maybe that will change and the door is still open to future work. But instead of sitting at my desk this afternoon, I get to go swim in the river with my niece and her other auntie. And then assemble a worm composter. Iím surprised that I donít want to do this job at all. But Iím going to go with my gut! Itís weird and wonderful to be in a position to turn down work.

Ha, good for you!  That's awesome that you listened to your inner voice and are renewing your joy in post-work life for now!

XGE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1402 on: September 08, 2021, 06:12:17 PM »
Hello, Everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on the forum and have learned a lot from all of the discussions over the years.  So, I finally decided to sign up for an account.  I'm in the final months of wrapping up my government career on 31 December 2021.  I'm really looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life!

Ladychips

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1403 on: September 08, 2021, 08:01:24 PM »
Welcome @XGE !!!  And congratulations!!!

snowball

• Stubble
« Reply #1404 on: September 09, 2021, 11:58:07 PM »
@Much Fishing to Do, that school crossing guard job sounds awesome.  Maybe I'll find something like that eventually.

As of now, I am no longer full time!  I'm down to two workdays per week until my last week in November.  Exactly 18 working days remaining!

I am still feeling a little bit of stress over getting some final things wrapped up at work, but I've set down much of the mental load and I feel so much lighter!  Now that I'll only be working part-time, I'm looking forward to really getting ready for moving out of the country + downsizing my possessions (to one suitcase + carryon + a box I'm shipping to my sister).

Items on today's agenda:  napping and cuddles with the kitten I'm fostering, lol.  It is proceeding as planned.  Kitten is pleased the human appears to be staying home today, unlike the Terrible Times of Earlier In The Week when All Day No One Was There To Give Cuddles.  (All Day.  ALL DAY.  It was Made Known to the human that this was an issue...perhaps human did not understand, and finally figured it out.  Humans often do need a lot of repeated, patient communication before they get the picture.)

CarolinaGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1405 on: September 10, 2021, 04:07:51 AM »
Today is it for me!   Woohoo!!!!  Ending a 23 year career in banking and looking forward to the future!  5pm canít come fast enough!!!!!  I honestly couldnít have done it without all the encouraging posts Iíve read over the past 5 years to other posters.  (Iím more of a lurker).  Whatís weird is that Iíve left every job Iíve ever had but this time it was a bit scary.  Canít wait to see what happens next in my life. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1406 on: September 10, 2021, 07:32:50 AM »
Today is it for me!   Woohoo!!!!  Ending a 23 year career in banking and looking forward to the future!  5pm canít come fast enough!!!!!  I honestly couldnít have done it without all the encouraging posts Iíve read over the past 5 years to other posters.  (Iím more of a lurker).  Whatís weird is that Iíve left every job Iíve ever had but this time it was a bit scary.  Canít wait to see what happens next in my life. :)
Yippee! Welcome to the rest of your life!

dblaace

• Stubble
« Reply #1407 on: September 10, 2021, 08:19:45 AM »
Congrats!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: September 10, 2021, 04:53:20 PM »
Congratulations!!!

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #1409 on: September 11, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
I pulled the trigger and will be out next month. Done :)

Dreamer40

• Stubble
« Reply #1410 on: September 11, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »
Hello, Everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on the forum and have learned a lot from all of the discussions over the years.  So, I finally decided to sign up for an account.  I'm in the final months of wrapping up my government career on 31 December 2021.  I'm really looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life!

Woo hoo! Iím also a (former) government employee. Congrats on wrapping stuff up! I hope your last months go smoothly. My exit process was a bit of a disaster but itís so great to come out the other side.

And congrats to all the others retiring lately. Itís great to see those announcements keep trickling in. I love hearing how the decompression process goes and how people spend their newly freed-up time.

FireLane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1411 on: September 12, 2021, 07:24:23 AM »
Congrats to all the newly FIREd! It's going to be great!

XGE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1412 on: September 12, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
Thanks, @Dreamer40 and @Ladychips.

I'm looking forward to being done with the government bureaucracy.  I tell people that they don't call it Civil _Service_ for nothing.  Many people feel that government workers are lazy, and while there are some that are (just as in society at large), I've been fortunate to work with a team of really good people that have put in a lot of extra hours over the years to get the mission done.  They have to fight every day against the bureaucracy and "leadership" that work against them.  After a while, you just get worn down.  I'll miss the people, but I won't miss the job.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1413 on: September 14, 2021, 06:21:14 PM »
I have an official date now, 25 October.  I'll be 43 for @ScreamingHeadGuy 's stats.  I'm planning on putting in notice in the next few days. 

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1414 on: September 14, 2021, 07:47:34 PM »
Not going to retire this year, but discussed today with the boss a move to working part-time, to 60% (3 days a week). Still gets full benefits! Probably going to switch over to that soon. Maybe next month, even?

Arbitrage

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1415 on: September 15, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »
Had a conversation with my boss the other day about where my career was going to go next (I went coast-FIRE/part-time and fully remote, out of state, a few months ago).  I wasn't sure exactly how to answer him, since I still feel like I should keep my options open if possible, so I made various noncommittal statements about how I still want to work there, blah blah blah. 

Truthfully, my current job will be ending in 1-2 years due to program changes outside of my company's control, and a follow-on arrangement will be challenging.  My thought was that a 1-2 year coast-FIRE arrangement should give us more than enough financial security to go full FI, but that's easy to say now with the (much smaller) paychecks still rolling in, with no health insurance headaches. 

Those smaller paychecks still cover all of our living expenses, even though we've been spending up a storm, by our standards, in order to get us settled in our new lifestyle up here.  I'll definitely need to make sure that all of these "one-time" expenses are indeed one-time, or at least very infrequent (things like kayaks, mountain bikes, ski gear, cold-weather gear to survive the winters, a bit of furniture for the new house...the list has seemed endless but I think it's finally slowing down).  It's felt very non-mustachian; however, one of the big reasons we moved was to partake in all of these fabulous outdoor activities.  At least I've mostly been buying used, where practical.

Ideally, we work this part-time schedule for another year, 18 months, and the job naturally goes the way of the dodo bird.  My company then allows me to stay on a casual basis, just grabbing work here and there when I feel the hankering to scratch an itch, earning a few bucks, and our stash grows to a more comfortable 3% SWR or better level in the meantime.    I'd definitely feel more comfortable there, given the unknowns of some potentially huge dental bills for my son and eventual college expenses.

However, I'm not quite ready to tell the boss that I want to quit part-time status just yet.  Thus, I will continue to string them along for a bit...

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1416 on: September 15, 2021, 02:18:59 PM »
So apparently it's a big deal to quit on a Monday.  So my date is now 15 October.  Even better.  Two less Mondays involving an alarm to wake up to. 

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #1417 on: September 15, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »
So apparently it's a big deal to quit on a Monday.  So my date is now 15 October.  Even better.  Two less Mondays involving an alarm to wake up to.
Why is it a big deal?  You have interested me here.  You get paid for one day for the week? 

Congratulations getting to freedom 2 Mondays earlier.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1418 on: September 15, 2021, 02:44:21 PM »
Why is it a big deal?  You have interested me here.  You get paid for one day for the week? 

Apparently it makes the paperwork harder for the HR folks to have me on for just one day of a pay period.  On some level I wish I'd asked more questions, but the honest truth is I'm beyond caring.  If you want me to quit on a Friday, whatever.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1419 on: September 18, 2021, 01:27:05 PM »

Hooray! You can afford to be gracious to the poor slobs who aren't getting to retire. You'll be fine.
Apparently it makes the paperwork harder for the HR folks to have me on for just one day of a pay period.  On some level I wish I'd asked more questions, but the honest truth is I'm beyond caring.  If you want me to quit on a Friday, whatever.