Author Topic: 2021 FIRE Cohort  (Read 354314 times)

simmias

• Stubble
Re: 2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #950 on: March 09, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
There's nothing better than hearing about all the annoying projects coming down the pipeline later in the year when you secretly know you won't have to be around to deal with them.

Mrs. Sloth

• Stubble
« Reply #951 on: March 09, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »
There's nothing better than hearing about all the annoying projects coming down the pipeline later in the year when you secretly know you won't have to be around to deal with them.

#Truth

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #952 on: March 09, 2021, 10:04:45 AM »

#Truth

Oh my word, YES! 

I feel such relief!

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #953 on: March 09, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »
Fuck it!  Count me in this cohort.  I've been waffling about a date since I hit my second comma but I think I've at least convinced myself this year is it.  My job stress has hit all time highs and conversations with my manager about workloads have only resulted in her micromanaging instead of distributing the workload.  If I was more confident in my post-FIRE budget, I would have already pulled the plug.  My bf and I don't want to stay in our current house long term but we aren't quite in a position to move yet (for several reasons).  So, my future housing budget is all guess work which makes me nervous this close to FIRE.

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #954 on: March 09, 2021, 04:34:20 PM »

My wife and I are leaving on the same day--May 7th.  We have both been working from home.  I came out of my office and saw her in a Zoom meeting...She was glowing with the biggest smile on her face.   And then I heard her say, "Remember, I won't be there to help with this project.  Who is going to do it?"  And then on the other end, I heard an "Oh, yeah...Hmmm." She looked at me and gave me a thumbs up.  Later we talked about how relieved we are to know we no longer have these things nagging us in the back of our brain...It is like the burden is slowly being lifted :-)

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #955 on: March 09, 2021, 05:26:31 PM »
Well I officially gave my notice...  I had dropped a large hint to my supervisor (who is also my mentor / advocate) a few Friday's back and he asked that I give him 6 months notice if / when I decide to leave (my date was 4/30/21).  Upon seeing my reaction he asked for 4 months.  So I settled and told him officially today that I really will be pulling the plug, and gave him 3 months notice by pushing my date back from 4/30/21 to 6/4/21.  Which happens to be my birthday as well.  So happy birthday / retirement day to me.  I feel relieved, scared, oddly normal, and full of guilt.  Right now the guilt is the hardest part for me.  I have only worked for this company, and have had a fantastic 15 year career.  The company has been absolutely amazing and like family.  I am also one of very few women here / in the industry an I feel like I am letting so many of the younger women down.  I'm the most senior female in my district, and there are very few of us in any leadership roles...  I'll have to continue to work through these feelings,  what is done is done.

Congratulations!  Regarding the feeling guilty, don't.  Part of the misogynistic society we live in makes it so that one woman represents all women.  That doesn't happen to men but every woman is somehow automatically the example for her gender.  So dont' worry. You do you.  Also, if you want to talk about an example- how about a badass woman who got her financial sh*t so much in order that she is retiring early!  That's a pretty freakin' strong example!

Yes!!! What a great way to put it in perspective. Well said

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #956 on: March 09, 2021, 05:39:51 PM »
I just got told that our new boss's boss believes that maternity leave and FMLA is really the only reason anyone should take a month off...ummm seriously!!! We are in the business of taking care of people's well-being, so why aren't we taking care of those that work within the business. This shit would've pissed me off big time and probably kept me up a few nights, except them cancelling my 1 mos vacation to 2 weeks, doesn't really mean anything since I don't intend to return.

Just get very confused when administrators don't focus on taking care of their workforce.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #957 on: March 10, 2021, 03:50:36 AM »
I just got told that our new boss's boss believes that maternity leave and FMLA is really the only reason anyone should take a month off...ummm seriously!!! We are in the business of taking care of people's well-being, so why aren't we taking care of those that work within the business. This shit would've pissed me off big time and probably kept me up a few nights, except them cancelling my 1 mos vacation to 2 weeks, doesn't really mean anything since I don't intend to return.

Just get very confused when administrators don't focus on taking care of their workforce.

Yeah, that's the US for you.  In 25 years of working I never had a vacation longer than 2 weeks.  (Did 2 weeks once, and had to get special permission which was very grudgingly granted).   In those years I had two babies, and I had to be back to work promptly, full time, 6 weeks later even through I was breastfeeding.  Don't get me started -- It's total bullshit.  It'll be interesting to see whether this changes culturally and legally in the coming years. 

Congrats on your retirement! 

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #958 on: March 10, 2021, 05:03:40 AM »

#Truth

Oh my word, YES! 

I feel such relief!
Oh yes!

I have to have a running mental dialog "don't smirk, don't laugh, don't shrug, don't mock..."

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: March 10, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »
Another big milestone chipped away - my wife finally told her work, which she's been dreading.  She works for a very small company, and they cannot easily absorb her loss.  She did offer them a lifeline, saying that she wants to be off all summer on a sabbatical, and may be willing to work part-time once the kids return to school in the fall.  So far they've taken it well, so she's quite relieved. 

I also found out that my new part-time, fully remote work situation has been officially approved, and it was announced at a large staff meeting, so no going back now!  I thought it had been approved previously, but apparently there were still levels of management that hadn't yet signed off. 

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #960 on: March 10, 2021, 09:14:35 AM »
That's great news @Arbitrage!

I'm still on my 60% time (so working 3 days a week on average - though in practice it's spotty and some weeks are busier than others).  We're currently going through bonus/comp season and there is all the usual drama, so I'm waiting for that all to blow over and then will talk to my boss about reducing my base hours further (20% average) from May.

Work is much better at 60% but not good enough to make me think I should stick there rather than reducing further.  At 60% I still consider myself employed.  At 20% I'll consider myself more retired than not retired.  Suspect I will take the final step to 0% within the next year or two.

icebox92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #961 on: March 10, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
Well I officially gave my notice...  I had dropped a large hint to my supervisor (who is also my mentor / advocate) a few Friday's back and he asked that I give him 6 months notice if / when I decide to leave (my date was 4/30/21).  Upon seeing my reaction he asked for 4 months.  So I settled and told him officially today that I really will be pulling the plug, and gave him 3 months notice by pushing my date back from 4/30/21 to 6/4/21.  Which happens to be my birthday as well.  So happy birthday / retirement day to me.  I feel relieved, scared, oddly normal, and full of guilt.  Right now the guilt is the hardest part for me.  I have only worked for this company, and have had a fantastic 15 year career.  The company has been absolutely amazing and like family.  I am also one of very few women here / in the industry an I feel like I am letting so many of the younger women down.  I'm the most senior female in my district, and there are very few of us in any leadership roles...  I'll have to continue to work through these feelings,  what is done is done.

Congratulations!  Regarding the feeling guilty, don't.  Part of the misogynistic society we live in makes it so that one woman represents all women.  That doesn't happen to men but every woman is somehow automatically the example for her gender.  So dont' worry. You do you.  Also, if you want to talk about an example- how about a badass woman who got her financial sh*t so much in order that she is retiring early!  That's a pretty freakin' strong example!

Thank you for this...  It helps.  I will continue to keep this in perspective.  It is difficult as there are so few of us, its hard to not feel like the representative.  I work for a large national general contractor.  While there are large increases of women in architecture / engineering roles, women in actual construction are still a rarity...  Regardless your words are spot on. 

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #962 on: March 11, 2021, 09:55:01 AM »

Yeah, that's the US for you.  In 25 years of working I never had a vacation longer than 2 weeks.  (Did 2 weeks once, and had to get special permission which was very grudgingly granted).   In those years I had two babies, and I had to be back to work promptly, full time, 6 weeks later even through I was breastfeeding.  Don't get me started -- It's total bullshit.  It'll be interesting to see whether this changes culturally and legally in the coming years. 

Congrats on your retirement!

That’s crazy and yes total bullshit! Hoping that it will change, makes no sense for it not to improve.

Thank you

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #963 on: March 11, 2021, 12:57:44 PM »
In what should be a happy stream of 'lasts', today was the final annual performance review received and given!  Yay!  hopefully will never have to be on the receiving or giving end of another BS PM discussion ever again! So wrong in countless ways.

It was very difficult to restrain myself not to let my boss know of my pending departure but I have one more bonus coming I don't want to jeopardize. Should be able to let the cat out of the bag in about four weeks.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #964 on: March 11, 2021, 01:28:32 PM »
In what should be a happy stream of 'lasts', today was the final annual performance review received and given!  Yay!  hopefully will never have to be on the receiving or giving end of another BS PM discussion ever again! So wrong in countless ways.

It was very difficult to restrain myself not to let my boss know of my pending departure but I have one more bonus coming I don't want to jeopardize. Should be able to let the cat out of the bag in about four weeks.

I had mine this week also! I am thrilled to see that part of my life done and over with! I offered literally no commentary. I thanked boss for the comments and signed the form. My bonus arrives 3/15. Looking forward to that, too.

highlandterrier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #965 on: March 12, 2021, 12:50:40 AM »

No-one in my company is receiving any bonus this year due to the virus for the first time in my 25 odd years there. On the upside this allowed me to freely tell everyone a lot earlier than I would have otherwise been comfortable with. Swings and roundabouts!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #966 on: March 12, 2021, 04:23:48 AM »
Everything is set in motion for the grande finale.  I'm getting pretty 'fired up' as concrete waypoints occur.  On 15 March at 9:30am I have a performance meeting where I will produce my hand-typed resignation letter.  To be fair, my immediate manager knows what my plans are.  However, it will come as a pretty big surprise to Management with the capital M.  It is certainly not standard practice to retire early from a golden handcuff Government career. 

Right @Lews Therin ?

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #967 on: March 12, 2021, 04:53:31 AM »
I mailed in my retirement paperwork yesterday (3 month process minimum).  Very exciting!!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #968 on: March 12, 2021, 10:40:08 AM »
I`m sorry, but you can`t hand type something. That's what I`d take out of that meeting, and set your paperwork on fire. I`m an excellent manager.

the action or skill of writing something by means of a typewriter or computer.
"they learned shorthand and typing"
writing produced by typing.
"five pages of typing"

Oh come on.  It's Classic!

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #969 on: March 12, 2021, 01:28:33 PM »
I'm trying to psyche myself up to actually give my notice on Monday with an end date of April 9.

I've been rehearsing the conversation and will have notes in front of me. I'm nervous as fuck and the evil part of my brain is trying to talk me out of it. "What if some new life-changing technology comes out that you suddenly can't afford?" "What if the economy goes to shit and all the precautions you had in place for that don't mean shit because of some new craziness?"

This is normal, right? I'm beyond ready to move on from this job both mentally and financially, but that fearful voice inside is trying to get me to delay. I think I've been institutionalized - 18 years at this job has done a number on me.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #970 on: March 12, 2021, 06:37:57 PM »
I'm trying to psyche myself up to actually give my notice on Monday with an end date of April 9.

I've been rehearsing the conversation and will have notes in front of me. I'm nervous as fuck and the evil part of my brain is trying to talk me out of it. "What if some new life-changing technology comes out that you suddenly can't afford?" "What if the economy goes to shit and all the precautions you had in place for that don't mean shit because of some new craziness?"

This is normal, right? I'm beyond ready to move on from this job both mentally and financially, but that fearful voice inside is trying to get me to delay. I think I've been institutionalized - 18 years at this job has done a number on me.

Simmias - yes, these are normal thoughts and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it's something I had experienced, too.  It's part of our human brain's development (loss aversion).  Once upon a time it's what kept our hunter/gatherer ancestors from killing themselves off.  But now it just keeps us up at night worrying or second-guessing ourselves. 

How do you stop that little voice?  You tell it "I've got a plan.  I've double-checked my plan.  I've got a backup plan."  You repeat that until you know that is the truth and the little voice can go screw. 

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #971 on: March 12, 2021, 06:41:47 PM »
The roster is updated for everybody through post #976.

So far we have 81 folks here who will be FIRE in 2021 and 5 have gone OLY into the 2020 Cohort. 

Average age of 2021ers is 45.40 (based on those 63 members who provided an age at FIRE date).  2020 average age was 48.32.  2019 average age was 47.38.

NameAge (at FIRE)FIRE Date
AldiEarly 50s1/23/2020 OLY
CrazyIT563/13/2020 OLY
Mmm_Donuts3/20/2020 OLY
Marcher Lady4912/15/2020 OLY
Zinnie 38 10/22/2020 OLY

Matz_70501/1/2021
BikeFanatic551/4/2021Confirmed
Sciurus1/8/2021Confirmed
ScreamingHeadGuy411/22/2021Confirmed
12321351/23/2021Confirmed
moneypitfeeder421/29/2021Confirmed
Sultan581/31/2021Confirmed
fireflye502/1/2021
goat_music_generator272/2/2021Confirmed
dividendman382/5/2021Confirmed
texxan12/15/2021Confirmed
Buffaloski Boris562/28/2021
dreams_and_discoveries39February
fiStressRelief403/1/2021Confirmed
Dreamer40403/3/2021Confirmed
Farfetchd33 3/7/2021Confirmed
skyrefuge433/12/2021
TheContinentalOP55 3/19/2021
Jack0Life ('s wife)March
ronsbusa3504/1/2021
HumanAfterAll444/2/2021
Trede514/2/2021
sailingTowardsFI434/9/2021
simmias4/9/2021
Ottawa494/16/2021
Tipster350604/30/2021
bluebelle4/30/2021
logjammin394/30/2021
LightTripper45April
force majeure45April
Geographer305/3/2021
Peter Parker5/7/2021
CoffeeR5/31/2021
gary341130April/May
WildJager35May
80Westy50May
Omglmg39May
wrightstuff55May
amberfocus36May
phildonnia506/1/2021
ItalianGirl52 6/1/2021
Chaplin476/4/2021
icebox92366/4/2021
Sisto526/7/2021
YoungGranny316/30/2021
SheWhoWalksAtLunch566/30/2021
mld33June
crazy jane55June
SunniDJune
MoStash537/1/2021
Ladychips557/1/2021
Nazar7/1/2021
JoJo487/9/21
marque47June/July
CarolinaGirl50July
highlandterrier47July
NorskyJuly
Need2SaveMay-July
Arbitrage438/1/2021
asauer43August
Bownyboy499/7/2021
Well Respected Man569/10/2021
ospreyjp569/27/2021
frugalecon9/30/2021
GBRS36September
the_fixer4910/1/2021
damoOctober
Boyband37October
4tify54October
Money Badger5312/1/2021
Accountant0074812/23/2021
Ulysses Everett McGill5512/31/2021
dblaace60 12/31/2021
NoVa 12/31/2021
effigy9843December
WadimanDecember
mindfulrun43spring
Mrs. Slothspring
lightmyfireJune-Sept
Mrs. Healthywealth42Summer
monarda61TBD
aethonan1332TBD
American GenXTBD
lemonlymanTBD
dswTBD
MoneyTreeTBD
exit2019 TBD
justchristineTBD

texxan1

• Stubble
« Reply #972 on: March 13, 2021, 03:05:48 AM »
Ok, so took about a month to get all my FIRE paperwork in order and finally get the company severence check.. Largest deposit ever into one of my accounts lol.. So for trackability, im going to post up what we are today.....
1,192,000   Vanguard brokerage
1,121,000   Fidelity 401k
389,123      Company pension ( lump sum)
325,000      Cash in savings and checking account

$3,027,000   Liquid net worth

with this, we have my toys and a paid for vehicle, house , boats etc.............

This decompression thing is real... Im kinda bored lol but learning to relax more.....

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #973 on: March 13, 2021, 06:44:07 AM »
I'm wondering how to find out what the companies retirement policies are without tipping your hand about retiring? There is nothing in the employee handbook.

Thinking about contacting some recently retired people I know and could probably trust.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #974 on: March 13, 2021, 11:52:18 AM »
I'm wondering how to find out what the companies retirement policies are without tipping your hand about retiring? There is nothing in the employee handbook.

Thinking about contacting some recently retired people I know and could probably trust.

Applies more to government jobs than non-government jobs, however in a few organisations (including mine) some people have been around so long and are well respected enough that they can negotiate their own terms, including payouts of incentive plans that would otherwise lapse (but it would have to be a “genuine” retirement, and you can’t just high tail it to a competitor).

Case by case basis is always on the table if you are good enough.

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #975 on: March 13, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »
Turned in my LOR yesterday, effective June 11!

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #976 on: March 15, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
Congratulations @MoStash@simmias, keep us posted?  I've been second-guessing my timing as well, so you've got company! 

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #977 on: March 15, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
Happy to say that DW and I informed our employers that May is our retirement month.  DW was ironically pushed into giving notice earlier than she had planned, but its worked out for both of us.  We have seen the gambit of surprise/jealousy/disbelief/congratulations from family and coworkers, we expected it all and saw it as well!

I thank everyone in this cohort as well as the forums for helping us define our needs and wants and plan this all out.  Now we just need to hold the course to June 1st!

Cheers!

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #978 on: March 16, 2021, 09:27:09 AM »
I had a little money dilemma...then I remembered that I had "enough."

My last day of work is scheduled for May 7th.  I had a chance to work 3 more weeks for an additional $8900 dollars.  That sounded like a lot for three weeks....and was so tempted to accept, but then said to myself "F it.  I have enough." 

I am at peace, ready to exit, and start a new chapter, knowing I have enough...I'm ready to FIRE.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #979 on: March 16, 2021, 11:40:13 AM »

My last day of work is scheduled for May 7th.  I had a chance to work 3 more weeks for an additional $8900 dollars.  That sounded like a lot for three weeks....and was so tempted to accept, but then said to myself "F it.  I have enough." 

I am at peace, ready to exit, and start a new chapter, knowing I have enough...I'm ready to FIRE.

Thanks for this reminder.  This morning a good friend is trying to convince me to work thru the summer as I'll be staying with my parents those months... but it just isn't worth the stress/boredom.   I want to do volunteer work, help out my parents, garden, hobbies.  I hate this gray cloud over me. 

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #980 on: March 16, 2021, 02:14:15 PM »

Thanks for this reminder.  This morning a good friend is trying to convince me to work thru the summer as I'll be staying with my parents those months... but it just isn't worth the stress/boredom.   I want to do volunteer work, help out my parents, garden, hobbies.  I hate this gray cloud over me.

+1 to you both!!

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #981 on: March 17, 2021, 08:10:05 AM »
Finally had The Talk with my manager. CT announcing the move to a purely age-based vaccine rollout last week removed a major blocker in that it is no longer relevant to be an essential worker in order to qualify for vaccination under phase 1c. And then multiple additional projects got dumped on my head in the past week alone, which I took as the universe tacitly telling me that it was past time to do some hard managing of expectations, before even more stakeholders were impacted.

I didn't give a notice of resignation, though; I actually asked for a long sabbatical (6 to 12 months) -- far longer than the employee handbook says I'm allowed to get (3 months). I'm absolutely ready to walk if it gets turned down, and I half-expect to be turned down, but I figured it doesn't hurt to keep doors open in case I change my mind about retirement. (And having work continue to subsidize my health insurance for a bit longer is also not a bad deal given continuing ACA uncertainty. Even three months of additional coverage is better than nothing.)

My manager was surprisingly supportive of my sabbatical request, which I did not expect, given how much he is dependent on my output. But I suspect he already knew deep down that the writing was on the wall after I burned to a flaming crisp last year. I can tell that he desperately wants to retain me, but is clearly worried that standing in the way, or making additional asks (such as finishing certain projects that might be tricky to transfer), might exacerbate the aforementioned burnout, and drive me out sooner. Which is not wrong.

My desired end date is the third week of May, which was designed around maxing out my 401(k) and mega backdoor, as well as collecting a final quarterly 401(k) match. I was trying to hold off divulging the date in order to demonstrate flexibility regarding the transition, but I caved after being asked multiple times. Nothing is official until it's escalated to and approved by upper management and HR, who may yet veto everything, but the biggest step -- letting the cat out of the bag -- is done.

So... two-and-a-half more months to go. The finish line is in sight! The relief is palpable.

Update: Just had The Talk with HR. They are verbally greenlighting the requested sabbatical from third week of May through the end of the year, with written confirmation coming in the next few weeks. The feared veto by upper management did not materialize. I honestly thought they would play hardball, but it appears that they are not. Perhaps my crippling burnout has made me too cynical (or sufficiently telegraphed my lack of bluff-ery that they dared not refuse?).

I would literally be walking away with everything I wanted -- employer-subsidized health insurance for the rest of this year while ACA status is in flux (my income is too high for subsidies), final stock options vesting in December, and even a pro-rated bonus (I was NOT expecting that; it might actually throw a wrench into my plan to qualify for Medicaid next year, heh #MustachianPeopleProblems). It almost (I said almost) makes me feel bad that I plan to resign afterwards unless FIRE goes horribly sideways. The problem is that they really need to hire a replacement, but they won't do that (or at least not a low level temp) if they think I'm coming back.

My transition time starts now. :) I have two months... which feels simultaneously way too long, and not long enough. But I can truck on for two more months.

Furthermore, the SO, who was super gung-ho about not retiring, has been making noises that after the dust settles on Covid, his WFH situation, and my FIRE, he might see if he can drop his hours down by 20%. Baby steps!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #982 on: March 17, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
Badass update @amberfocus.  I hope you take it easy these next two months before your sabbatical starts.

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #983 on: March 18, 2021, 02:28:25 PM »
Can I get updated on the list? Age 47, last day 4/16/2021, confirmed!

I just finished having "the talk" with my boss. She was ridiculously cool about it and it honestly made me have more respect for her. We ended up talking for about 30 minutes.

I didn't end up spilling the beans that I don't really need the job financially, but I was honest about the other reasons I was making the change (finding my passion, spending more time with family), and she respected them.

I still have to talk to the head of HR tomorrow and then break the news to the people I work with directly, which I am not looking forward to, but this was a huge burden off my shoulders and I feel pretty fantastic right now.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:30:23 PM by simmias »

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #984 on: March 18, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »
"Spending more time with my family." That resignation excuse sounded way better pre-Covid. Someone had joked about this on another thread recently. Good luck with your early retirement!

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #985 on: March 18, 2021, 04:07:44 PM »
"Spending more time with my family." That resignation excuse sounded way better pre-Covid. Someone had joked about this on another thread recently. Good luck with your early retirement!
Ha! It's true, though. It's family in another state who I haven't seen in a year and who I don't know how much time I'll have to see going forward.

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #986 on: March 18, 2021, 04:24:31 PM »
Can I get updated on the list? Age 47, last day 4/16/2021, confirmed!

I just finished having "the talk" with my boss. She was ridiculously cool about it and it honestly made me have more respect for her. We ended up talking for about 30 minutes.

I didn't end up spilling the beans that I don't really need the job financially, but I was honest about the other reasons I was making the change (finding my passion, spending more time with family), and she respected them.

I still have to talk to the head of HR tomorrow and then break the news to the people I work with directly, which I am not looking forward to, but this was a huge burden off my shoulders and I feel pretty fantastic right now.

Yay! congrats Simmias!

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #987 on: March 18, 2021, 06:14:55 PM »
After today's work bullshit, I'm pretty much calling it done next month barring something drastic happening.  The thread about burnout has been a wake up call.  I can't keep living like this.  The stress is going to kill me.  I have a Dr appt on 4/1 that I'd like to get taken care of before I quit and go the ACA route.  After that I'm planning on taking the rest of the spring and summer to work on relaxing and my on well being.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #988 on: March 19, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »
After today's work bullshit, I'm pretty much calling it done next month barring something drastic happening.  The thread about burnout has been a wake up call.  I can't keep living like this.  The stress is going to kill me.  I have a Dr appt on 4/1 that I'd like to get taken care of before I quit and go the ACA route.  After that I'm planning on taking the rest of the spring and summer to work on relaxing and my on well being.

Good for you for prioritizing your mental health.  I hope you can rest and get back to being you.

OmgLmg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #989 on: March 20, 2021, 06:55:25 AM »
It's official for me! I gave notice this week, sooner than planned but I was only holding out for some slightly more convenient things for work. Then they made a few announcements that didn't sit well with me, and before getting too stressed about it I realized that I don't have to deal with this.

My last day will be April 16. I am so relieved and excited, I don't really have words for it.

I was incredibly anxious in the lead-up to talking with my boss, but it went as well as I could expect. Telling my direct coworkers was hard, but not in the same way. I am very fortunate that the people I work with are amazing folks who have become friends outside of work as well. Because of that, none of them were too surprised since they'd seen the burnout and all agreed that I need to do what is right for me. I did not fully tip my hand that I'm retiring, as I'm young for that and didn't want to get into those detailed conversations. I just said that I need a break and am fortunate enough to be able to choose to take one and that I don't see myself ever doing the 40+ hrs a week corporate-type work again. Many of my coworkers know the general gist of my financial situation, so I'm sure they can read between the lines of that.

There was some discussion of contract work in the future, which I'm not opposed to - it's a great organization with great people. But I doubt that will ever really materialize, so I'll just consider that if it ever comes up. There are some parts of the job I love, so if they want me to contract a very small amount for only those things in the future, I'd certainly consider it.

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted in this thread - reading your stories, hearing your concerns, etc has helped so much in the last few months as I approached this huge life change. I don't post much, but I read often and get so much value from everyone sharing.

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #990 on: March 20, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
Then they made a few announcements that didn't sit well with me, and before getting too stressed about it I realized that I don't have to deal with this.

That's a great feeling! Congratulations!

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #991 on: March 20, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »
It's official for me! I gave notice this week, sooner than planned but I was only holding out for some slightly more convenient things for work. Then they made a few announcements that didn't sit well with me, and before getting too stressed about it I realized that I don't have to deal with this.

My last day will be April 16. I am so relieved and excited, I don't really have words for it.

I was incredibly anxious in the lead-up to talking with my boss, but it went as well as I could expect. Telling my direct coworkers was hard, but not in the same way. I am very fortunate that the people I work with are amazing folks who have become friends outside of work as well. Because of that, none of them were too surprised since they'd seen the burnout and all agreed that I need to do what is right for me. I did not fully tip my hand that I'm retiring, as I'm young for that and didn't want to get into those detailed conversations. I just said that I need a break and am fortunate enough to be able to choose to take one and that I don't see myself ever doing the 40+ hrs a week corporate-type work again. Many of my coworkers know the general gist of my financial situation, so I'm sure they can read between the lines of that.

There was some discussion of contract work in the future, which I'm not opposed to - it's a great organization with great people. But I doubt that will ever really materialize, so I'll just consider that if it ever comes up. There are some parts of the job I love, so if they want me to contract a very small amount for only those things in the future, I'd certainly consider it.

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted in this thread - reading your stories, hearing your concerns, etc has helped so much in the last few months as I approached this huge life change. I don't post much, but I read often and get so much value from everyone sharing.

Congrats! I had almost the same experience and gave the same last day, lol. I was honestly worried that they were going to be mad at me for only giving a month (I must have been reading too many of the crazy people giving three months to half a year notice in the "how much notice" thread), but they were very appreciative for the month I gave.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 01:07:27 PM by simmias »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #992 on: March 20, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
I'm done! (as of last Friday.) It's funny how much COVID-effects blurred the line between retired/not-retired for me. This week, as a retired man, I've done some mid-day walks/bike-rides/grocery-trips with my wife, and then spent a good bit of time in our home office messing around in front of a computer. Which is exactly the life I've been living for the last year anyway! Ok, so one of our bike rides was a bit longer than normal and took us to a brewery, but really, since I've been 100% WFH anyway, and my job was flexible enough to allow mid-day excursions even when I was working, very little has actually changed in my day-to-day existence. I think things would feel a lot different if I'd had a 2-hour daily commute at a job where I was constantly speaking with people; the transition would have been much starker (and maybe scarier!) in that case.

The wildest part of my transition: my (big) ex-company uses a social-media-like platform as its main internal communication tool. It has user-created, non-business groups, one of which is dedicated to Mustachian early retirement. I know, pretty awesome (and bold!) all on its own. But wait! Two weeks before my last day, I decided to make my first (and last) post there, announcing that I was at least one person succeeding at the group's goal (the company is pretty young, so many of the group members are earlier in the accumulation/apirational stage). Overnight, that post became the week's 4th most-liked post on the entire platform! Like, it was more popular than posts from VPs making cool announcements to the entire company! So MMM should be proud that his message, which in its purest form is targeted explicitly towards high-paid workers at a company like mine, has definitely been heard, and even celebrated, inside such companies.

In that vein, I was clear and upfront with everyone, both in my professional and personal life, about it being an explicit "retirement". And I haven't heard a single note of skepticism, cynicism, or jealousy. I think it was the most-liked post I've ever made on my personal social media too. Maybe some of that is because I've always been relatively open about my plans, and surely reactions will vary between people and companies, but my broad advice from my experience would be: feel free to be more up-front with people, you might be pleasantly surprised at the reactions! (not to mention I subsequently got a decent amount of questions from people newly-interested in Mustachian concepts).

mindfulrun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #993 on: March 21, 2021, 08:48:45 AM »
I gave my notice last week, but offered to stay on in a part time capacity if I could eliminate the pieces of work that are most stressful.  My boss was very supportive, and didn't push back at all. I worked through how to notify my employees and customers, worked up the promotion paperwork for my replacement, and developed a transition schedule (with my replacement).

My bosses boss, however, wants to promote me and still give me "flexibility" (interesting since I'm currently in the "lean FIRE" window). I said I'm willing to entertain that, but only if we make significant changes to my work and allow for more time off. I'm waiting to see what they come up with now.

Either way, I'm making a drastic change in the coming weeks - I just can't keep this pace up any longer.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #994 on: March 21, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »
I gave my notice last week, but offered to stay on in a part time capacity if I could eliminate the pieces of work that are most stressful.  My boss was very supportive, and didn't push back at all. I worked through how to notify my employees and customers, worked up the promotion paperwork for my replacement, and developed a transition schedule (with my replacement).

My bosses boss, however, wants to promote me and still give me "flexibility" (interesting since I'm currently in the "lean FIRE" window). I said I'm willing to entertain that, but only if we make significant changes to my work and allow for more time off. I'm waiting to see what they come up with now.

Either way, I'm making a drastic change in the coming weeks - I just can't keep this pace up any longer.

That's great.  a couple years ago I transitioned my business into a another to get rid of the stresses and risks of being the owner.  Now I work 20hrs/wk instead of 60 consulting for them, know my employees all still have jobs without depending upon me to continue killing myself, and I get a good steady hourly rate as opposed to wondering what side of the roulette wheel the next project will end up on.  Though I already had enough to Fire comfortably, this definitely added some fat that I will thoroughly enjoy and has given me a good ramping down into RE (I discovered I needed more hobbies etc, as I haven't had free time for a couple decades so had lost most of them.  I'm having fun finding new ones now).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #995 on: March 21, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »

Here's another thought: You might be making room for another woman to move up and reach her goals.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #996 on: March 22, 2021, 09:37:53 AM »
I gave notice today. My last day will be April 16. It was terrifying but I have done it!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #997 on: March 22, 2021, 11:00:51 AM »
I gave notice today. My last day will be April 16. It was terrifying but I have done it!

Outstanding!!

logjammin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #998 on: March 22, 2021, 03:32:41 PM »
I can be updated to confirmed. My last day is this Friday (!!).

If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the goodbye email I'm sending on Wednesday, please chime in. I work in an office environment of professionals in what is considered a stuffy profession. I'm a middle manager type and already known as a bit of a clown, and the people at my company are generally great people, so I think this will go over well with most folks, and for those who it doesn't, oh well!

Spoiler: show

Dear friends,

I have a lifelong dream of becoming a pirate. And today I have been given this opportunity to finally become one. I set sail on the 26th of March and will spend the remainder of my time at work until then thinking of a pirate name. I am open to suggestions.

Please do not be alarmed if I start talking strange during this time.

Yarr, for those of ye not aware, I be retirin' to the high seas of Guatemala.  I have purchased a landship on the shores of Lake Atitlán and will spend me hours tending to me two playful sea dogs, pillaging, reading, and otherwise engaging in merriment, grog and spirits.

Photos ahoy (<-- will be a link to photos of my new place)

Ye may contact me via escroll at (my email), or via Pirategram at (my Instagram)

Thank ye mateys for ye support during me employment. I could only send a goodbye email like this to a classy organization with a sense of humor. I will miss you all dearly.

Yo-ho-ho

(my name)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #999 on: March 22, 2021, 04:59:17 PM »
I think that leaving email is great!

And congratulations on the move to Guatemala, I greatly enjoyed the month I spend there 10 years ago.