Author Topic: 2021 FIRE Cohort  (Read 353871 times)

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
Re: 2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #650 on: December 07, 2020, 03:03:12 PM »
Turned in my resignation letter today, last working day January 29th, 2021. Feels odd...somehow not as satisfying as I thought it would be, but still not changing my mind either :)

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #651 on: December 07, 2020, 03:22:15 PM »
2020 Update:

Another good year in the tech industry. I am not very optimistic about 2021 as the real economy is shit. I have major conflicts between investing and protecting wealth this year. I strongly repositioned out of risk assets as I approach FI to reduce sequence of returns risks. I still think end of 2021 is achievable, but I calculate my SWR based on CAPE so I actually keep getting a little bit farther away as markets go up faster then my investments. Right now my CAPE adjusted SWR is 3% so if things keep going like this I will be 2022 probably.

- Age 43, target FIRE date 12/2021
- House still paid off, real estate at 1.3m worth (up 200k). Got new 7 acres of land in a cheap place few hours away, plan B if I need to old man retire somewhere cheap out in the woods, otherwise just grow trees on it and sell them. A week of property taxes on my house is the SAME as a full year on the land... insane. I feel a bit raped.
- 1.62m in investment accounts (up from 1.2m).
- Bitcoin... maybe going to be awesome?!? Whatever, I'm a long term holder as an insurance policy so I don't feel like I missed the boat if it does well, however I might sell my cost basis soon. Not looking forward to taxes.
- 529 20k (slightly up)
- HSA 42k (up from 30k)
- Rental still around 70k owed (unchanged)
- Accidently got a 3rd side gig from word of mouth from the 2nd side gig that is even more profitable. Mostly done with this 3rd software job, but started a shopify store and testing that out.
- At 91% savings rate now. Job has been much more relaxing (no commute) since lockdown. I have been able to say NO to many things looking at my FI numbers keeping a good work life balance. I even get asked how I say "no" and I tell them I don't care if I keep this job and that gives me great power. I actually think I am doing better in the eyes of management because I am much more confident in meetings and bring up things others seem afraid of... I am just not that worried to lose the job like others who are slightly paranoid. At first the lockdown was difficult as I was working too much. I then setup Alexa timers in my office space to turn everything off at 5pm and leave everything including my phone in my office and that fixed my need to overwork when working from home. People don't seem to like I am unavailable after 5pm, but that is what FU money can buy me :).

Wall of shame stuff
Spent about 25k fixing up yard, house, and office since it is kind of my new prison this year.
I bought calls on SQQQ before election after a very shitty week at work thinking... the election will get me out of this shittastic rat race... That was about 35k down the drain and tacks on a few months more of work. Market timing usually burns me and it did again! I also cannot justify the CAPE right now but I have given up putting logic to the market and went all into RISK parity again using diverse assets, collars, etc. I can at least sleep at night but the markets are bullshit in my opinion right now, but not sure where else to put money to get a return.
I also have to admit that being trapped in my house for so long, I will probably spend a lot of money next year on trips and potentially go on a few shopping sprees. I felt like I put life on pause and it was pretty boring. I may take a year off of my FI goals and live like a normal stupid American and blow all my money. Not sure yet :).
Another caveat, IF real estate falls apart like I think it SHOULD do, then I'm going crazy on investing in it in areas I think will be fine long term or it's some place I want to move too eventually. I did not enjoy the area much where I live and could use some more sun to enjoy my RE days.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 03:36:28 PM by effigy98 »

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #652 on: December 08, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
Turned in my resignation letter today, last working day January 29th, 2021. Feels odd...somehow not as satisfying as I thought it would be, but still not changing my mind either :)

@moneypitfeeder Any sense why that is?  Maybe because nothing has really changed yet?

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: December 08, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
Joining up! Already "retired" once back in 2017 but got lured back into working a year later. Going for Feb 2021, hopefully it sticks this time!

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #654 on: December 08, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »
I think that is it, I'm still starting work every day at 6:30, still frustrated by my work-supplied computer and network (seriously limits productivity, my old, personal 2011 MacBook has more processing capability). I think once I'm actually free of deadlines and the ever-spinning blue circle indicating my work computer not responding, it will sink in.

FarFetchd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: December 09, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »

As for myself, I got all excited about a new job a couple months ago (potentially much higher pay), and the interview seemed great, but they ended up passing.  In retrospect it would have been locking me into another 2-4 years, and would have been stressful after the honeymoon period was over anyway.  That made me think about what I really want - a big chunk of extra cash for lifestyle inflation, vs. retiring as soon as possible.  So I've pruned one of the three branches in the decision tree (stay at job, stop working, find different job). 

We are at 91% FI right now, so another 10% market gain would get us to our number without any further savings.  My wife wants to keep working, and she can cover our expenses while still maxing our her 401k.  So our plan for 2021 is for me to max out all of my tax advantaged savings in Jan-Feb, give notice end of February, and be free end of March!  I might let them keep me part time a little longer to smooth the transition, because the group is understaffed and my role will be hard to fill, but I'll be putting up some big boundaries if that happens.  There are just enough people I care about and who I want to stay connected with, that I don't want to make a bad exit.

Looking forward to focusing my time & attention on my family (5yo and wife), having some alone time, hiking on weekdays, building stuff for myself, learning new skills, and having energy for family on the weekends!

It sounds like we're in extremely similar situations. I'm also considering calling it quits around March, currently around the same percent of my goal as you, and my wife also wants to keep working. It sure is a nice situation - when I force myself to think about it objectively. Work still does get me irrationally stressed! I hope the next few months, and then also the time after that, goes well for both of us.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #656 on: December 09, 2020, 07:49:23 PM »
It sounds like we're in extremely similar situations. I'm also considering calling it quits around March, currently around the same percent of my goal as you, and my wife also wants to keep working. It sure is a nice situation - when I force myself to think about it objectively. Work still does get me irrationally stressed! I hope the next few months, and then also the time after that, goes well for both of us.

Twins! Cheers, good luck to us both!

Trede

• Stubble
« Reply #657 on: December 15, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »
You can add me to the 2021 FIRE list, call the planned date April 2nd.  Already had "the talk" with my boss, who asked me to stay on through the first quarter.  Already moved to the FIRE home in another state, so now working remotely on tying up and organizing things and helping my named successor get a feel for what's expected.  It's all gone so well so far that I'm kind of afraid to jinx it somehow.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #658 on: December 15, 2020, 03:07:16 PM »
Getting the ball rolling on buying our FIRE house in another state.  Applied for a HELOC against our current place to cover the down payment.  Once the HELOC is finalized, I'll see about preapproval for the 'second home' mortgage.  Then we can think about getting serious with the search, though I also will be working on getting my bosses to agree to let me go to permanent remote work, part-time before we're putting any offers down. 

Also fixing up some things around the current place that have been neglected and should be repaired before listing.  Still have 7 months of runway but I have a feeling that those can disappear quickly with how long these various bank approvals and real estate transactions take.  We want to have as many options as possible for the new house. 

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #659 on: December 15, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »
I'm thinking 2021 is going to be a banner year!  I will have had a full year "working from home" due to covid--which was actually pretty nice (other than the 300K+ deaths).  And now--a vaccine on its way!  Perfect timing to retire later this year, and travel :-)  Selfish, I know,  But I'm a shallow person :-)

Mask up people--Don't be the person who gets shot on the day of the armistice.  Get through this and make 2021 and beyond everything you hoped it would be.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #660 on: December 15, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
With half a month to go I'm sending out a call to @Matz_70 and @Sultan58 to get a status update.

Welcome aboard @Trede

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #661 on: December 15, 2020, 08:34:25 PM »
Looking more likely that retirement is earlier than later.  Sounds like I'm getting a new boss by the new year that likely won't be so generous with my part time set-up.  We shall see.

ospreyjp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #662 on: December 15, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »

Mask up people--Don't be the person who gets shot on the day of the armistice.

This is exactly the analogy I have been using recently!  Most of my co-workers don't get the WWI reference though.  I definitely don't want to be that poor sod that gets this thing just before the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: December 16, 2020, 09:27:56 AM »

Yesterday pushed me over my goal FIRE number for the first time ($1.25M liquid, not counting 529 accounts).  Technically, that goal needs to be amended a bit; I set it three years ago and it was contingent upon having enough home equity to purchase our next house outright using the equity in our current house.  Unfortunately, house prices have been skyrocketing where we want to move to; while our house has increased in value as well, it hasn't quite kept up, and we'll end up short. 

To make up the difference and give us padding, we've still got another 7-8 months of full-time work, and at least one of us is going to try to secure part-time work after the move for a bit.  On the plus side, our spending has trimmed back more than expected when I set that goal number.  I'm good with 4% SWR for planning despite low interest rates and elevated P/E10, with a small pension, social security, and part-time work providing the safety margin.  I was therefore targeting $50k of ex-mortgage spending, but we're clocking in consistently below that level.

Despite the caveats, it felt momentous to hit that goal number for the first time.  It may be fleeting with market fluctuations, but it's making everything feel more real.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #664 on: December 16, 2020, 12:55:37 PM »

Yesterday pushed me over my goal FIRE number for the first time ($1.25M liquid, not counting 529 accounts).  Technically, that goal needs to be amended a bit; I set it three years ago and it was contingent upon having enough home equity to purchase our next house outright using the equity in our current house.  Unfortunately, house prices have been skyrocketing where we want to move to; while our house has increased in value as well, it hasn't quite kept up, and we'll end up short. 

To make up the difference and give us padding, we've still got another 7-8 months of full-time work, and at least one of us is going to try to secure part-time work after the move for a bit.  On the plus side, our spending has trimmed back more than expected when I set that goal number.  I'm good with 4% SWR for planning despite low interest rates and elevated P/E10, with a small pension, social security, and part-time work providing the safety margin.  I was therefore targeting $50k of ex-mortgage spending, but we're clocking in consistently below that level.

Despite the caveats, it felt momentous to hit that goal number for the first time.  It may be fleeting with market fluctuations, but it's making everything feel more real.

It’s a great feeling, I’ll admit, when you breach that goal the first time.  By the third or fourth time, though, the feeling wears off.  I would suggest tuning out daily fluctuations for a week or two; otherwise you’ll feel like your stomach is on a rollercoaster (or at least that was my experience). 

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: December 17, 2020, 10:40:01 PM »
Hello, I am Mr. One More Year for Two Years In A Row. 

Absconded from 2019, procrastinated my way out of 2020, I have come to join the 2021 cohort.  Third time is, in fact, the charm.  I will be resigning 2/12/2021 with a target last day and "don't expect anything out of me except whatever brain-scooping you want to do" exit date of 3/12/2021.

2019: offer I couldn't refuse
2020: willing to walk away, but .. to what? Covid19.
2021: February or bust.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #666 on: December 18, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »
Welcome exit2019! Hope you stick with us :)

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #667 on: December 21, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »
Hope I can join you in 2021, I jsut gave my boss the heads up, did not formally retire but I will very soon maybe as early as January 2021. Not early as i am 55 but my spouse is only 49, and she says she will work OMY, I hope by June she sees the light. Cheers everyone.

Sciurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #668 on: December 22, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »
I guess this is me now.  I just gave notice to my team this week that my last day will be January 8th.  2020 had so many unknowns that I could never really pick out a date until the very end here.  We blew past our target numbers in 2020 and I was just grinding it out for fear of the unknown.

I am looking forward to spending even more time with my young children, now without the ever lurking specter of work projects hanging ever present in my mind.

Hasn't fully sunk in yet, but no regrets :)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: December 22, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
I am looking forward to spending even more time with my young children, now without the ever lurking specter of work projects hanging ever present in my mind.

That is exactly why I'm looking forward to it too! Vacations are not really vacations and weekends are not really weekends. Some of that is my own fault of course, but that just makes it my responsibility to fix it.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #670 on: December 24, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »

So Nazar, what's on the bucket list then?

This year Machu Picchu for sure.  Still deciding on a second adventure closer to home.  Would love to do an extended whitewater rafting trip.

Someone tried to convince us to move to Peru this week. Which was particularly odd because we were telling them we want to cruise on our sailboat.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #671 on: December 26, 2020, 01:54:41 PM »
This year Machu Picchu for sure.  Still deciding on a second adventure closer to home.  Would love to do an extended whitewater rafting trip.

Machu Picchu is amazing.  The Salkantay lodge-to-lodge treks are a lot more fun than the Inca trail hike.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #672 on: December 26, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
Welcome to the Cohort @exit2019 @BikeFanatic and @Sciurus.  I've updated the list at the top of the page to add you in. 

I'm three days into a 12-day-long vacation and it feels like it's been forever since I've worked (in a good, not-thinking-about-it way).  We can call it a test-drive of the FIRE lifestyle before I make the big move in a few months.

I hope everyone else's year-end holiday season is going well.  It's only a matter of DAYS now until we start ticking names off the list. 

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #673 on: December 27, 2020, 12:10:18 AM »
Well, I started following this thread from the 2022 cohort, when I thought I'd be OLY. But ...anticipated large upcoming expenses for 2021 mean I likely am back to 2022. Or at most, I might make a shift to part-time work in 2021. Not sure about that yet. I'm certainly close to FI, but not so secure about it. Without me, your average age should come down! :-D  Good luck to everyone!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: December 27, 2020, 05:25:27 AM »
It's only a matter of DAYS now until we start ticking names off the list.

So exciting!!!

sailingTowardsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #675 on: December 27, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
Add me in! I'm planning to retire in June at age 43.

I think June anyway. Different factors could push that sooner or later, but it's definitely this year. Feels so close now!!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #676 on: December 28, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »
Looking over my numbers the last couple of weeks I started to realize that this just might happen! It's starting to get real! Still not sure of a final date yet so keeping 12/31 or one bad day.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #677 on: December 28, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
Alright... I started off over in the 2022 thread but it's looking like I'm going to OLY into 2021 instead. Probably. Still soul searching, but it's feeling mostly like what I want to do.

You can put me down for January 29, 2021, age 27.

(That feels really weird to write.)

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #678 on: December 29, 2020, 07:46:51 PM »
Fun statistics about this cohort's thread. 

2015 - 23 posts (0.63 pages/year)
2016 -  76 posts (1.52 pages/year)
2017 -  50 posts (1.00 pages/year)
2018 - 84 posts (1.68 pages/year)
2019 - 94 posts (1.88 pages/year)
2020 - 350 posts (7.00 pages/year)

Looks like 2020 was the year this cohort became too cool to not post anymore (but I was already not not posting before it was cool).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:50:20 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #679 on: December 30, 2020, 08:24:36 AM »
Fun statistics about this cohort's thread. 

2015 - 23 posts (0.63 pages/year)
2016 -  76 posts (1.52 pages/year)
2017 -  50 posts (1.00 pages/year)
2018 - 84 posts (1.68 pages/year)
2019 - 94 posts (1.88 pages/year)
2020 - 350 posts (7.00 pages/year)

Looks like 2020 was the year this cohort became too cool to not post anymore (but I was already not not posting before it was cool).

We were a quiet group, but finally came out of our shell!

Tomorrow night the ball drops into our year!!!!!!

RedefinedHappiness

• Stubble
« Reply #680 on: December 31, 2020, 11:51:28 AM »
Good luck everyone!

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #681 on: December 31, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »
I'm throwing my name for 2021 out of necessity.
Originally as of last year, I had a $120k job and my wife just got a $50k job right of of college. We were a DINK couple and going to FAT FIRE at $1.5 million when ever we get there.
2020 happened and I got laid-off from a 20+ yr job. My wife absolutely hates her job.
So the plan is for my wife to quite around March. I have no job LOL.
As of Dec 31st 2020, we are sitting at $1,125,000 NW which translate to about $44k/yr. Our current expenses involve a mortgage so its a little more than $44k.
Our plan is to move to SE Asia(whenever they decide to open) when my wife quit. We will remain retire indefinitely until out NW dip below $1 million. I joke with my wife that as long as we're in SE Asia, our NW will never dip below $1 million.
Worst case the extra $125k should last us at least a couple of years.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #682 on: December 31, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »
Well, we are now mere hours from the year we (as a group) will leave our current employment status behind.  I feel a sense of anticipation, anxiety, brooding relief, and utter terror.  I’ve spent the past 15 months getting myself mentally ready for this event, and now I am staring down a panic as if this is a spur-of-the-moment life changing thing. 

I think the biggest concern about leaving work is doing it the right/best way.  How can I optimize this aspect, too?  Can I finagle matters so as to get a severance?  Do I just send a Dear John resignation letter (“I resign effective today.  Send all the HR paperwork to my home address.”)?  Offer to stay on for up to another X weeks to transition projects if the company desires?  In this situation it seems like saving and investing for 20 years was the easy part.  But I know I’m over-thinking this; people leave their jobs everyday and it’s no biggie for them.  Anyone have good resources for this aspect? 

I am now one week into a 12-day-long (counting weekends) vacation.  I no longer can tell what day of the week it is without having to really think about it.  On days when nothing else is scheduled, and when the wife’s able to watch the child, I feel no shame in taking a nap.  I have an abundance of time to read, exercise, check the news on my tablet, and go sledding with the girl. 

Thanks to the amazing market returns this past year our withdrawal rate (which assumes my wife doesn’t have her part-time job and that I earn nothing) is now sub-3%.  We also have 2.5 years’ expenses in cash.  I assume some of that cash will be invested soon and some will be used for home improvements (which will reduce our withdrawal a bit, since those annualized expenses were included in our modeled spending). 

Here we are, Our Year.  Qapla!  (That’s Klingon for “Success!”.)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: December 31, 2020, 07:46:28 PM »
In this situation it seems like saving and investing for 20 years was the easy part. 

I said something very similar to my husband today. Our networth is about $50,000 more than I had planned in my wildest dreams - with 6 more months of saving to go (thank you market).  I told him I was really good at saving money...but I didn't know squat about spending it.  I'm going to need some help figuring out roth conversions and so forth.  He reminded me that in 6 months, we'll have plenty of time to investigate and ask for help!

I can't wait to see all the "today is my last day' posts rolling in!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #684 on: December 31, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »
The ball has dropped and it is our year!

Lets hope 2021 will be the start of something great for our cohort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #685 on: December 31, 2020, 10:15:15 PM »
Happy FIRE Year!

I'm at the beginning of 8 weeks off, and I'm using it to set my post-FIRE habits. I'm really tempted to move my date up. I think I put Sept. 1 or thereabouts, and I'm definitely moving it up by at least one month. I could move it up another 3 months and lose a few RSUs and ESPP gains. The thing is, I'm already leaving tons of those on the table. No matter when I say goodbye, I'll have unvested RSUs. The biggest chunks vest in January, then bonuses and 401k matches are paid out. I do have a few more semesters of college to pay for, but nothing too outrageous. Very tempting.

I'm working on our house, so that we can downsize this year. No new things are coming into the house, just leaving. Very happy at the moment.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #686 on: January 01, 2021, 08:05:31 AM »
Happy New Year to the class of 2021!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #687 on: January 01, 2021, 08:26:31 AM »
Well, we are now mere hours from the year we (as a group) will leave our current employment status behind.  I feel a sense of anticipation, anxiety, brooding relief, and utter terror.  I’ve spent the past 15 months getting myself mentally ready for this event, and now I am staring down a panic as if this is a spur-of-the-moment life changing thing. 

I think the biggest concern about leaving work is doing it the right/best way.  How can I optimize this aspect, too?  Can I finagle matters so as to get a severance?  Do I just send a Dear John resignation letter (“I resign effective today.  Send all the HR paperwork to my home address.”)?  Offer to stay on for up to another X weeks to transition projects if the company desires?  In this situation it seems like saving and investing for 20 years was the easy part.  But I know I’m over-thinking this; people leave their jobs everyday and it’s no biggie for them.  Anyone have good resources for this aspect? 

I am now one week into a 12-day-long (counting weekends) vacation.  I no longer can tell what day of the week it is without having to really think about it.  On days when nothing else is scheduled, and when the wife’s able to watch the child, I feel no shame in taking a nap.  I have an abundance of time to read, exercise, check the news on my tablet, and go sledding with the girl. 

Thanks to the amazing market returns this past year our withdrawal rate (which assumes my wife doesn’t have her part-time job and that I earn nothing) is now sub-3%.  We also have 2.5 years’ expenses in cash.  I assume some of that cash will be invested soon and some will be used for home improvements (which will reduce our withdrawal a bit, since those annualized expenses were included in our modeled spending). 

I know the feeling.

My biggest fear I guess are healthcare costs. I'm about 10% away from my conservative number and I'll contribute 3% of that. I'll be 60 in September and able to withdraw from retirement accounts then 2 1/2 years till SS. The numbers add up but there is still anxiety. I am going to avail myself of the Financial Planner benefit at Fidelity next month for the first time to go over everything to make sure I am not missing anything. I also need to think about estate planning.

I was supposed to be off these last 2 weeks, still losing 40hrs of vacation and rolling over 80. I ended up having to go in 2 of the days and probably 20hrs working from home. I may end up having to go in today or tomorrow. It never stops and I can't turn it off in my head.

Not sure how I am going to let them know or when, or what the reaction will be.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: January 01, 2021, 09:06:04 AM »
Spoke in detail about our plans with my mother and step-father for the first time last night.  We had been hinting about it for years, but without a definitive place, time, or employment plan, but I think that something DW had said to them last week caught them off guard, so they asked me straight up, and I answered, unadulterated.  The only other person we've talked to in that sort of detail is my MIL, since she will likely be moving at the same time, so it felt like the plans were becoming more real as the cat leapt out of that bag. 

Good feeling.  It's going to be a lot of work to make this happen, but I'm excited.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #689 on: January 01, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »
I've been debating if I should throw in my hat into this ring. May 31, 2021 will my last day of the only full time job I've ever had. The date my change by a few weeks, but there will not be OMY. Why the internal debate then? Shortly after I leave my current full time job, I will start working part time for another outfit. So one could argue that I'm not really part of this cohort. Yet, I'm FI and I do not need to work part time. I want to, I still enjoy it (for now). This particular part time job gives me a *lot* of flexibility which is the main reason I've agreed to it. If the flexibility dries up or proves illusory, I will leave this part-time gig. So, put me down for May 31, 2021. I'm very excited.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:55:43 AM by CoffeeR »

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #690 on: January 02, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »

I know the feeling.

My biggest fear I guess are healthcare costs. I'm about 10% away from my conservative number and I'll contribute 3% of that. I'll be 60 in September and able to withdraw from retirement accounts then 2 1/2 years till SS. The numbers add up but there is still anxiety. I am going to avail myself of the Financial Planner benefit at Fidelity next month for the first time to go over everything to make sure I am not missing anything. I also need to think about estate planning.

I was supposed to be off these last 2 weeks, still losing 40hrs of vacation and rolling over 80. I ended up having to go in 2 of the days and probably 20hrs working from home. I may end up having to go in today or tomorrow. It never stops and I can't turn it off in my head.

Not sure how I am going to let them know or when, or what the reaction will be.

I'm there with you.

I'll be 60 in March. I am SO DONE with working. I spent the last week, week of PTO, having to do at least some work every day and a full day on one of them. I had to call in today, also. Having to call in and do work, even for five minutes, completely removes any vacation wind down of stress and puts my head back into the work mode. There is no way out except to retire, as these are the conditions attached to my fairly well-paid megacorp job. After so many years of this grind, and exhibiting a positive and engaged demeanor, it becomes intolerable.

I am FI, and may have an additional top-up of unexpected funds coming my way soon. Either way, I'm out. I'm anxious too, because at this age, because of age discrimination, it's not so easy to jump back in if needed. I am anxious about healthcare costs also. HOWEVER, the clock is ticking, we never know how long we will have enough health to enjoy the time and freedom of retirement, and odds change quickly with every passing year 60+.

Come heck or high water, I am OUT in 2021.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #691 on: January 02, 2021, 11:12:11 AM »

I thought I was going to be a 2020 cohort, but with the ACA uncertainty and elections later this year, I'll likely be holding off until 2021.

Welcome!  We’re glad you’re here even if you decide to leave early.

Well, I'm still here, with renewed hope for 2021.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #692 on: January 02, 2021, 06:30:44 PM »
Happy FI year everyone! I originally was in the 2020 cohort, but given the uncertainties of last year, both personally and in the world at large, I'm glad I stuck around at work.

As some others have expressed, I also feel more anxious about how best to leave work than I do about how our financial situation will be once I'm done. I feel like I am resourceful enough to make things work even if the stock market doesn't quite cooperate. But I don't think I can leave work without leaving some people in a tough spot, and that is strangely causing me quite a bit of anxiety.

Part of me is hoping that the company doesn't do well so that they do layoffs and the decision is made for me. I'd be the first to sign up!

mindfulrun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #693 on: January 03, 2021, 06:21:08 AM »
I've seen the topic mentioned a few times, but do you have any recommendations on WHAT to tell your coworkers, employees, boss, friends, and family about leaving your well-paying job?
I'm still on track to leave this spring.  I've spoken to my boss already, so he knows this may be coming, but I don't feel like telling anyone else that I'm retiring in my 40’s is the right way to go. I'm fairly young and don't want to alienate my friends and family (my family thinks all millionaires can have their own private planes and limo drivers).  I also don’t want to lie.
Here’s my initial thought:  Tell my coworkers and employees that I’m leaving the company to go back to school.  This wouldn’t be a lie considering there are a bunch of topics I want to learn and many colleges make their courseware available for free.
I may also do some consulting work if the opportunity presents itself, so if asked what I’m doing about income, I could mention that. 
I know I probably shouldn’t worry about this as much as I am, but I feel like there’s a stigma with leaving a high-paying job – especially at a young age.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #694 on: January 03, 2021, 06:36:35 AM »
I've seen the topic mentioned a few times, but do you have any recommendations on WHAT to tell your coworkers, employees, boss, friends, and family about leaving your well-paying job?
I'm still on track to leave this spring.  I've spoken to my boss already, so he knows this may be coming, but I don't feel like telling anyone else that I'm retiring in my 40’s is the right way to go. I'm fairly young and don't want to alienate my friends and family (my family thinks all millionaires can have their own private planes and limo drivers).  I also don’t want to lie.
Here’s my initial thought:  Tell my coworkers and employees that I’m leaving the company to go back to school.  This wouldn’t be a lie considering there are a bunch of topics I want to learn and many colleges make their courseware available for free.
I may also do some consulting work if the opportunity presents itself, so if asked what I’m doing about income, I could mention that. 
I know I probably shouldn’t worry about this as much as I am, but I feel like there’s a stigma with leaving a high-paying job – especially at a young age.

DH has been honest with colleagues about our plans for quite some time. He usually refers to it as an indefinite sabbatical, but as he prepares to start official conversations, he has used the word "retire" a couple of times. He also plans to be upfront about what that means financially, if anyone asks.

It probably helps that he has two former colleagues that visit once in awhile who quit to try other things. One became a public school teacher and one is a metal artist. While our plans don't have any income attached, the quitting bit isn't unheard of.

sailingTowardsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #695 on: January 03, 2021, 07:36:23 PM »

I've been thinking about this lately too - I'm planning to leave ~June, but haven't solidified a date. Absolutely nobody at work has any idea it's coming. I am a manager and feel like it's too soon to tell my boss and subordinates, but I'm quietly trying to put things in a good state for someone else to take over, and will ramp that up over the next few months. I think I'll give 6 weeks notice. I haven't told any friends at work since I think it's too much to ask for them to keep the secret - and it would be terrible if it got out before I get to tell my boss and those that report to me.

Other than trying to leave on good terms and make sure I'm not leaving a mess behind, I'm not too worried about what my non-friend co-workers think about the "why" since I probably won't keep in touch with them. I mainly don't want to leave them with the impression that I'm unhappy with them, so I'll try to make it clear that "it's me, not you". @mindfulrun, do you think you want to stay in touch with yours, or perhaps consult for your company if the opportunity presents? If not, why do you care what they think?

For my family and friends, I'll call it a "sabbatical" or more likely just say I'm taking a break. We have some rental real estate, and I also plan to work a 'fun job' or volunteer in the future, so I can talk about that when asked. Of course, if anyone thinks about it they'll figure out that it's a giant pay cut!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #696 on: January 04, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »
Please check the chart over and offer any corrections or updates you have.  The roster is updated for everybody through post #732.   

So far we have 72 folks here who will be FIRE in 2021 and 5 have gone OLY into the 2020 Cohort. 

Average age of 2021ers is 44.67 (based on those 55 members who provided an age at FIRE date).  2020 average age was 48.32.  2019 average age was 47.38.

NameAge (at FIRE)FIRE Date
AldiEarly 50s1/23/2020 OLY
CrazyIT563/13/2020 OLY
Mmm_Donuts3/20/2020 OLY
Marcher Lady4912/15/2020 OLY
Zinnie 38 10/22/2020 OLY

Matz_70501/1/2021
Sciurus1/8/2021
12321351/23/2021
moneypitfeeder421/29/2021
goat_music_generator271/29/2021
Sultan58January
fireflye502/1/2021
texxan12/17/2021
MoStash532/21/2021
Buffaloski Boris562/28/2021
dreams_and_discoveries39February
dividendman38February
Dreamer40403/3/2021
ScreamingHeadGuy413/5/2021
exit2019 3/12/2021
TheContinentalOP55 3/19/2021
Chaplin473/23/2021
HumanAfterAll44March
Jack0Life ('s wife)March
Trede514/2/2021
Tipster350604/30/2021
bluebelle4/30/2021
icebox92364/30/2021
Peter Parker4/30/2021
logjammin394/30/2021
LightTripper45April
JoJoApril
force majeure45April
ItalianGirl 5/1/2021
Geographer305/3/2021
CoffeeR5/31/2021
gary341130April/May
WildJager35May
80Westy50May
Omglmg39May
wrightstuff55May
amberfocus36May
phildonnia506/1/2021
Sisto526/7/2021
YoungGranny316/30/2021
mld33June
sailingTowardsFI43June
Ladychips557/1/2021
Nazar7/1/2021
CarolinaGirl50July
highlandterrier47July
Arbitrage438/1/2021
asauer43August
Well Respected Man569/10/2021
ospreyjp569/27/2021
frugalecon9/30/2021
GBRS36September
Farfetchd33 September
the_fixer4910/1/2021
damoOctober
Boyband37October
4tify54October
Money Badger5312/1/2021
Accountant0074812/23/2021
Bownyboy2912/25/2021
Ulysses Everett McGill5512/31/2021
dblaace60 12/31/2021
effigy9843December
WadimanDecember
mindfulrun43spring
lightmyfireJune-Sept
Mrs. Healthywealth42Summer
monarda61TBD
aethonan1332TBD
American GenXTBD
lemonlymanTBD
dswTBD
MoneyTreeTBD
SheWhoWalksAtLunchTBD
BikeFanatic55TBD

Okay, now let’s get some confirmations rolling.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 07:40:25 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #697 on: January 04, 2021, 09:05:10 AM »
I am still shooting for March 19th. I tried to look at apartments over the holidays (looking to move to lower cost of living Shenandoah Valley) but with COVID I couldn't get inside and had observe from the outside and make evaluations of the neighborhood. Did not tell my employer yet. Maybe later this week.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #698 on: January 04, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
Gonna be honest, it still feels surreal. I feel like a youngster and a fraud, but am so glad to see other folks younger than me, numbers higher and lower than my own.

My own consultancy is up and running, but I think I may have retired from full time working for someone else forever.

I'll keep the current date, as it will be my 35th birthday. 1/23/21 here we come!

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #699 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »
Happy new year everyone! I'm still playing everything by ear for now and just waiting to see how the pandemic develops now that there is a vaccine. I remain in a job that I don't care much for, although it has at least temporarily pulled back from being properly objectionable. As long as it remains tolerable or better, I will stick with it until there's something to do other than stay at home. Home is great, but I might as well get paid to be here if I have to be here all the time. If the pandemic is still going strong well into the summer (or at least strong enough to make travel unwise), I may start thinking about bumping myself back into 2022. I would have a ton of time off saved up by then which would make it more palatable to make it through the end of the year and be able to contribute in 2022 more IRA/401k/Social Security.

On the other hand, there is a possible change on the horizon which could take my tolerable, but not great job and put it back to properly objectionable. If this happens, there is a chance that I would give notice immediately. So my remaining time in this job is between 1 day to 15 months. It's actually pretty nice to be able to wait patiently for things to develop, especially given all that's happening right now. I remain very fortunate.