Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793068 times)

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2100 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
There's a sticky thread in Investor Alley about it.
Oh, yes.  The Roth conversion pipeline is useful when planned correctly.

The point the author is trying to make is don’t have your blinders on as you barrel your way towards FIRE.  Use your critical thinking skills and continuously adjust.  I can guarantee that there are some folks on this thread that have not thought about some of the facets the author lays out.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2101 on: March 21, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
My countdown app says I'm 50 days out -- but only 22 or so of those are work days. Getting really, really close. Also, amazingly, my invested stash is exactly where I'd hoped it would be some 5-6 years ago when I was looking out toward 2019.

On the downside, now that it's getting real, DW has been expressing her doubts about my retirement -- not from the financial perspective, but rather from the perspective of me being gone all the time. She's concerned that I'll be flying off on any whim that moves me, to go adventuring here and there. My doing exactly that a week ago -- i.e., booked a last minute flight back to Utah (where I'd just spent a week just a week prior) to seize upon the 38" of new fluff they'd gotten -- probably set a bad precedent. DOH! At any rate, my attitude is it's either going to work out or it isn't. If it doesn't, well then, that's life. Not that I'm looking to sabotage our marriage or anything, it's just that I'm not willing to sacrifice my happiness on the altar of her insecurity. I'm confident in the end we'll reach a compromise and all will be fine, though I anticipate there are some battles ahead, but that's married life (at least in my experience).

Is your wife also FI?

Otherwise, try to find some compromise by not travelling ALL the time.

I have been seeing this situation at my friends. He is a "normal" pensioner, she is much younger and still working (not FI). He travels for 1-2 months at the time. She is home alone a lot and need to solve home emergencies on her own. That has annoyed her at occasions. When he is home though, he takes a lot of responsibility for the household, doing the cleaning and the cooking.

No, not yet. She's 7 years younger and didn't get on the saving bandwagon until much later than me (and I have a pension). She's not interested in FIRE, per se. Likes her job and the sense of purpose it brings her. But it concerns her that I might be absent a lot, which I don't plan to be the case, with the exception of a summer road trip I've been dreaming about for years. She's kind of accepted that I'll be doing that trip, but her main concern is me taking off at the drop of a hat to go climb mountains or surf or snowboard. She's very much a pessimistic, worry-wart type person, and she does not share the same hobbies and passions that I have. It's worked up til now because we compromise, but of course since I won't need to work anymore and I'm not getting any younger, I do intend to pursue my hobbies more vigorously, though I recognize the need to balance it with my relationship. Only problem is, her idea and my idea of "balance" is likely to be quite different. Only time will tell if it all works out.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2102 on: March 21, 2019, 01:42:10 PM »
No, not yet. She's 7 years younger and didn't get on the saving bandwagon until much later than me (and I have a pension). She's not interested in FIRE, per se. Likes her job and the sense of purpose it brings her. But it concerns her that I might be absent a lot, which I don't plan to be the case, with the exception of a summer road trip I've been dreaming about for years. She's kind of accepted that I'll be doing that trip, but her main concern is me taking off at the drop of a hat to go climb mountains or surf or snowboard. She's very much a pessimistic, worry-wart type person, and she does not share the same hobbies and passions that I have. It's worked up til now because we compromise, but of course since I won't need to work anymore and I'm not getting any younger, I do intend to pursue my hobbies more vigorously, though I recognize the need to balance it with my relationship. Only problem is, her idea and my idea of "balance" is likely to be quite different. Only time will tell if it all works out.

We are in a similar situation (I see you commented on my thread), except we're not moved in yet, or married. If she starts whining too much about me being too absent on trips, I'll be out of there permanently.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2103 on: March 22, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
He's getting paid to live in Paris.  Let's not shed any tears here.  lol

My thoughts exactly, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity EscapeVelocity and I don't blame you for wanting to hold on a bit longer.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2104 on: March 22, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »
@Half Stached

Is today the day? Congratulations!!

Today is/was the day!

WOOOHOOO!

The whole week I've been running around with a giant smile on my face. Everyone at work found out I was leaving on Monday, and I received a ton of appreciation from everyone for the impact I've had on them and their projects. It was very gratifying. Today we had a small party at a local bar in the afternoon and a bunch of people came to say goodbye. Interestingly, I told everyone I was retiring, and no one really blinked. The worst reaction I got from anyone was simply bald jealousy (which I could totally empathize with). There was no real disbelief or malice, which it sounds like many other FIRErs had to deal with.

I have to admit... right now I feel really drained. I got home around 4pm, have been a lump for the past 4 hours, and I think I'm going to go to sleep early.

Thank you to everyone here - I wouldn't be in this position today without discovering MMM and these forums 4 years ago. There has been such great advice and support - this is a great community. I am extremely grateful!

****CONGRATULATIONS****

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2105 on: March 22, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »
Many congratulations to all you 2019 FIREees! 

I never put myself in this cohort because deep down I didn't believe it would actually happen for me, I'm not sure why.   But there is no point in denying it any longer.  I gave 8 weeks notice to my employer in early November, but they didn't look for find a replacement until late January, so things dragged on longer than I had hoped.  I've been working part time training the the new person since that point, but things are now progressing along well to where I'm working just about 10 hours per week now.  They offered me a permanent part-time position working from home and making my own schedule at about 40-50 hours per month; and the insecure side of me couldn't turn it down.  No real regrets, though.  It will be enough to cover all of my normal costs of living without tapping into investments, except possibly for unexpected larger expenses.  So I will be FIRE at a SWR of 0% for now.

Yesterday was my husband's last day at his job, so I'm officially calling it.....we are FIRED!!!!!  Now it feels like the real thing.  Next week's weather forecast is looking like perfect spring weather, so we'll be hiking with our dogs, working in the yard, taking on our household to-do list, enjoying picnic lunches and laughing giddily at our wonderful good fortune.   We are so grateful to have been able to pull this off!  It is a fantastic feeling that I can't even describe, but I wish it for every one of you who can't quite yet pull the trigger.  It's more than worth every little sacrifice we made along the way.

Congratulations Firehazard, I can't wait to join the club!

Congratulations chasefish and lucky12 and anyone else I missed, I didn't think I was away that long but clearly things are happening fast on the 2019 cohort. It's hard to keep up!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:38:07 PM by Parizade »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2106 on: March 22, 2019, 06:16:03 PM »
Hahaha!  I (almost) have health insurance coverage with subsidy!! 

It took way too much effort, including one call where I was told I didn't qualify because quitting my job did not qualify me for a special enrollment period.  That call did not end well.  But then I looked it up and called back.  The last person was awesome.  She got me through everything, then when it didn't work again (no subsidy due to some issue), we went back through different forms until she got me what i needed.  Whew!  I was starting to sweat this one.  Six failed attempts over four days but the seventh one took!  Now I just need our termination letters (I get mine after employment ends) and we should be good to go.

Yah!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2107 on: March 23, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »
Hahaha!  I (almost) have health insurance coverage with subsidy!! 

It took way too much effort, including one call where I was told I didn't qualify because quitting my job did not qualify me for a special enrollment period.  That call did not end well.  But then I looked it up and called back.  The last person was awesome.  She got me through everything, then when it didn't work again (no subsidy due to some issue), we went back through different forms until she got me what i needed.  Whew!  I was starting to sweat this one.  Six failed attempts over four days but the seventh one took!  Now I just need our termination letters (I get mine after employment ends) and we should be good to go.

Yah!

Congrats Loren!  That's a good hurdle to get across. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2108 on: March 23, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
Talked to HR at work about my plan to retire July 3, and they told me "the paperwork is difficult" for a mid-semester retirement. So instead, they're going to pay me to do nothing until the end of August. Okay, twist my arm...

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2109 on: March 23, 2019, 08:15:57 PM »
Talked to HR at work about my plan to retire July 3, and they told me "the paperwork is difficult" for a mid-semester retirement. So instead, they're going to pay me to do nothing until the end of August. Okay, twist my arm...

doing nothing but do you still need to come in to the office everyday?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2110 on: March 24, 2019, 04:44:30 AM »

And what are the consequences if you don't. You'll get fired? I presume Gerard can just stay at home, if the company doesn't want to give him tasks.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2111 on: March 24, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »
@exit2019 -- are you still on track for wrapping up tomorrow?  Or did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

the offer is made and it may be that i can't refuse it.  I got the full paperwork today and I'm chewing it over.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2112 on: March 25, 2019, 05:23:51 AM »

That is an interesting way to handle the issue.... 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2113 on: March 25, 2019, 05:42:46 AM »
@exit2019 -- are you still on track for wrapping up tomorrow?  Or did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

the offer is made and it may be that i can't refuse it.  I got the full paperwork today and I'm chewing it over.

Which way are you leaning @exit2019 ?  I remember you are in the HCOL Bay Area and had a lot on your plate (plenty of savings, but needed to sell your house, sort out insurance, etc.)   In your last post you said

"I'd give 75+% odds that they [employer] come back with a compelling counter and that against my psychological and physical health I'll stick around for it."

Sounds like you predicted your employer right.  But how have you been feeling this month?  Will this new job offer continue to cause you psychological and physical damage?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:08:04 AM by Trifele »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2114 on: March 25, 2019, 06:25:40 AM »
Hey @Loren Ver -- your final week is here!!  Are you ready?  :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2115 on: March 25, 2019, 06:26:02 AM »
they're going to pay me to do nothing until the end of August.
And what are the consequences if you don't. You'll get fired? I presume Gerard can just stay at home

I'm allowed to "work from home" any time I'm not teaching anyway, so I can do that. I'll still have some responsibilities even after I retire (some of my grad students won't be finished by my retirement date), so I'll be doing a few hours a week of actual work anyway.

So basically, I'll be doing exactly what I would have been doing if retired, but for pay.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2116 on: March 25, 2019, 07:28:12 AM »
Hey @Loren Ver -- your final week is here!!  Are you ready?  :)

LAST MONDAY!  This week is off to a rough start.  I was not feeling good this weekend, so today is still a little off.  But today is the last Monday I need to use an alarm clock for work!  DH got out of bed early to wish me a happy last Monday! 

I am ready to be done, but also anxious too.

And this Monday also feels like a normal work day. 

So strange!

LV

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2117 on: March 25, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »

Which way are you leaning @exit2019 ?  I remember you are in the HCOL Bay Area and had a lot on your plate (plenty of savings, but needed to sell your house, sort out insurance, etc.)   In your last post you said

"I'd give 75+% odds that they [employer] come back with a compelling counter and that against my psychological and physical  health I'll stick around for it."

Sounds like you predicted your employer right.  But how have you been feeling this month?  Will this new job offer continue to cause you psychological and physical damage?

@exit2019 unless you're working for The Mob, (we're not asking, so don't tell) as a FI person, how can anyone make an offer you can't refuse? If it is an ego stroke, then the offer itself is sufficient. If it causes damage to your health in any even slight ways, running the hell away is your best option.

Join the fight against OMY,OMM,OMWEEK. Only YOU can prevent them!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2118 on: March 25, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
So basically, I'll be doing exactly what I would have been doing if retired, but for pay.

If I could find a job like that I'd NEVER retire, sounds like a sweet gig Gerard, congrats!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2119 on: March 25, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
If it causes damage to your health in any even slight ways, running the hell away is your best option.

Words of wisdom! Run the hell away!

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2120 on: March 25, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »

hah.  I appreciate the sentiment. 

In a nutshell, the offer would add 10+% to my net worth over the next 12 months. I have been pretty clear with myself and my wife that I would have a serious problem walking away from something like that a second time (I walked away from a package of similar magnitude a few years ago and did not make up for it). 

That said, lots of things about it are tiresome (cliffs) and open (price used in modeling) and need negotiating, and since on most weekdays by evening I feel like complete dogshit, I haven't made the call yet.  If they don't fix the two issues, I will just walk, but if they do I will likely stay.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2121 on: March 26, 2019, 04:45:48 AM »

@exit2019 unless you're working for The Mob, (we're not asking, so don't tell) as a FI person, how can anyone

[/quote]

I'm only 8-11 days public, but I have to echo this sentiment.  The weight lifted off my shoulders is incredible.  Overcome the fear when you're ready and do it

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2122 on: March 26, 2019, 05:38:04 AM »
The weight lifted off my shoulders is incredible. 

So FIRE is agreeing with you @chasesfish ?  What's your favorite part?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2123 on: March 26, 2019, 05:47:12 AM »

So far its the little things.  I'm being paid through mid-April and "helping out" on a couple of deals I have going on.  The few hours a week I'm showing up at the office post-notice, its been the realization or ability to say "Its not my place to have an opinion" or "its your call".  The decision responsibility is not my own.

Yesterday was one of those "little thing" days.  Stopped by the office for two hours, was home before noon.  Went to Costco at 1:30 and it was this nice laid back place full of people not rushing around banging carts into each other.  Went to the nursery and planted a bunch of flowers trying to improve home appearance.  Standing outside at 3pm in 73 degree sunshine was one of those moments where I just thought "holy crap, this is more than just a vacation".

I'll still be 3-6 months before we're settled down.  The house coming soon sign went up yesterday, our full time job right now is prepping the house for sale and finding our new destination.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2124 on: March 26, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »

So far its the little things.  I'm being paid through mid-April and "helping out" on a couple of deals I have going on.  The few hours a week I'm showing up at the office post-notice, its been the realization or ability to say "Its not my place to have an opinion" or "its your call".  The decision responsibility is not my own.

Yesterday was one of those "little thing" days.  Stopped by the office for two hours, was home before noon.  Went to Costco at 1:30 and it was this nice laid back place full of people not rushing around banging carts into each other.  Went to the nursery and planted a bunch of flowers trying to improve home appearance.  Standing outside at 3pm in 73 degree sunshine was one of those moments where I just thought "holy crap, this is more than just a vacation".

I'll still be 3-6 months before we're settled down.  The house coming soon sign went up yesterday, our full time job right now is prepping the house for sale and finding our new destination.

That sounds wonderful.  Ahhh!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2125 on: March 26, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
Standing outside at 3pm in 73 degree sunshine was one of those moments where I just thought "holy crap, this is more than just a vacation".

That's fabulous @chasesfish!  Best of luck selling the house and with the move.  Sounds like you don't know yet where you might land?  How exciting.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2126 on: March 26, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »

That sounds wonderful.  Ahhh!

It sure does!

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2127 on: March 26, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
All the milestones are terrific, I continue to struggle with OMY or more specifically dropping out at the top'ish of the market.   Although, the market drop from September to December didn't really phase me, but upon reflection I am not sure if that is because I really was ok with it or because I had income coming in so who cares.

It's largely unavoidable I guess based on the fact that most retirees retire at high water marks (I think I read that somewhere on this forum), but it makes sense.

My demons of course.

Nifty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2128 on: March 26, 2019, 05:32:56 PM »
Hi there, I'm an addition to the 2019 family. Planning to work through the end of the year, so my date is 12/31/19! I'll be 31 at the time.

I will not be transitioning to full retirement however. I have a OMY gene in me, and the middle ground will be some part time work. I can contract in my current field basically at my leisure, and the intention is work a few consecutive months each year and take the bulk of the year off. It still feels like early retirement to me, because I know that the contract work isn't actually necessary, and mainly the idea of quitting Full time employment is terrifying.

Part time work will be kept under income limits for expanded Medicaid - by my calculation we can earn $81k (plus dividends), and after contributing to IRAs and solo 401(k)s, still be under 138% FPL limit for full Medicaid subsidy!

My soon-to-be-wife and I will be traveling around the US in a self-converted camper van (conversion in process now). We'll stop that and move back whenever we get tired of it. During that time we'll be renting out our current residence, and also already have another property that's rented. About 60% of net worth is in taxable/pre-tax investments, remaining 40% is equity in properties.

Excluding the part-time work we are at a 2.5% withdrawal rate. We plan to have kids in the future and when I add a conservative estimate to our budget in 8 years for that plus some increased housing expense, we are at a 3.55% withdrawal rate. I'm still scared of the unknown!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2129 on: March 26, 2019, 06:28:52 PM »
Work is going downhill really quickly.  Retirement may be sooner than later.  Waiting for the bonus to hit the bank account on Friday and see what I feel like then.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2130 on: March 26, 2019, 08:29:19 PM »
Work is going downhill really quickly.  Retirement may be sooner than later.  Waiting for the bonus to hit the bank account on Friday and see what I feel like then.

If you can swing it, go for it! I've been retired a week and half, and it's great. :)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2131 on: March 27, 2019, 02:16:56 AM »
Hi there, I'm an addition to the 2019 family...

My soon-to-be-wife and I will be traveling around the US in a self-converted camper van (conversion in process now). We'll stop that and move back whenever we get tired of it.

Welcome Nifty! Sounds like you and your fiance have lots of fun in your future.

If you can swing it, go for it! I've been retired a week and half, and it's great. :)

Jojo, I'm sorry things are not going well at work. I agree with Half Stached, make the leap!

Half Stached, I'm glad you are enjoying FIRE and I can't wait to join you. My countdown calendar says 86 days now. I find myself fighting what I hope are irrational fears that something terrible will happen to prevent me from FIREing or that I will die before I can enjoy the freedom I'm so longing for.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2132 on: March 27, 2019, 03:58:37 AM »
Welcome @Nifty!  Your plans do sound fun.  Got you added for 12/31.

We have four folks on deck for next week -- @gerardc, @Ryder, @PowerStache, and @MissNancyPryor.  How are y'all doing?  Thrilled?  Freaking out?  ;)

Note:  JumboShrimp hasn't responded to my pms, so moving him to ?? until we hear back.     

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)        CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)         CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse           CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash                   CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)           CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)      CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                 CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)              CONFIRMED       
03/18/19     chasesfish (36)           CONFIRMED
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)     CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/??/19     exit2019  (40)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/??/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)   
04/19/19     Eric (42)
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude                              Date Confirmed
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
08/31/19     Gerard
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/18/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:32:52 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2133 on: March 27, 2019, 04:55:54 AM »

My soon-to-be-wife and I will be traveling around the US in a self-converted camper van (conversion in process now).

Ohh.  Welcome!!  DH and I are slowly converting a 2002 Chevy Express.  We are taking it on route 66 starting April 1.  Glad to see another converter on the list.  What is your van of choice?

LV

Nifty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2134 on: March 27, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
Ohh.  Welcome!!  DH and I are slowly converting a 2002 Chevy Express.  We are taking it on route 66 starting April 1.  Glad to see another converter on the list.  What is your van of choice?

We are in a 2017 Transit High Roof Extended. Decided on the biggest since it's two of us and we'll be living in it full time. Just finished installing the propane heater and stove/oven. Next week taking it on a week long trip to Utah for rock climbing!

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2135 on: March 27, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
I am at SEVEN working days left!  It is a wonderfully strange feeling to report to work everyday and do the "normal" activities knowing they won't be normal for much longer.  I purposely made an outside appointment for 3 pm on my last day of work to ensure I say my good bye and get out.  It will be bittersweet to leave, but I am so looking forward to taking better care of my self, my family and my garden.

We have plans made for two vacations for the summer...one to Seattle and one to Jamaica. Looking forward to doing more outside fun with the kids this summer.  Biking, hiking, tennis, basketball, etc.

Wrapping up my turnover documents.  Next week, all is left is to eat the celebratory cake!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2136 on: March 27, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
My countdown calendar says 86 days now. I find myself fighting what I hope are irrational fears that something terrible will happen to prevent me from FIREing or that I will die before I can enjoy the freedom I'm so longing for.

I had those same fears @Parizade, and yes they were irrational and they vanished as soon as I FIREd.  You'll be ok my friend. 

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2137 on: March 27, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »
Welcome @Nifty!  Your plans do sound fun.  Got you added for 12/31.

We have four folks on deck for next week -- @gerardc, @Ryder, @PowerStache, and @MissNancyPryor.  How are y'all doing?  Thrilled?  Freaking out?  ;)

Last day at MegaCorpSucks is still 4/5.  Feeling incredible, so much peace. 

It is looking more like I will get to have some sort of gig at FormerCo though.  I have to ask if that makes me an early retirement wash out-  I quit my job without having any new offer.  I may work full-time for half the money at an easier gig for a while, maybe a year or two (maybe 3 weeks if it is just more corporate crap). 

So what shall we say is my status?

ETA- This idea of doing work at FormerCo has me also feeling kind of guilty about my current notice period.  I haven't told anyone that  I might continue work somewhere so the whole idea of retirement feels like I am lying to them.  Even though I am not, I get it that I am not because I had no job offer when I told them toodle-loo.  I am in my head on this when I shouldn't be at all.  I am my own retirement police I guess.  At minimum if I do anything for FormerCo it will be at least a month away so there will be time to unwind my knots a bit. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:44:51 PM by MissNancyPryor »

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2138 on: March 27, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »
My countdown calendar says 86 days now. I find myself fighting what I hope are irrational fears that something terrible will happen to prevent me from FIREing or that I will die before I can enjoy the freedom I'm so longing for.

I had those same fears @Parizade, and yes they were irrational and they vanished as soon as I FIREd.  You'll be ok my friend.

THANK YOU Trifele

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2139 on: March 27, 2019, 07:26:57 PM »

So what shall we say is my status?

ETA- This idea of doing work at FormerCo has me also feeling kind of guilty about my current notice period.  I haven't told anyone that  I might continue work somewhere so the whole idea of retirement feels like I am lying to them.  Even though I am not, I get it that I am not because I had no job offer when I told them toodle-loo.  I am in my head on this when I shouldn't be at all.  I am my own retirement police I guess.  At minimum if I do anything for FormerCo it will be at least a month away so there will be time to unwind my knots a bit.

I think you can choose your own status.  The English language doesn't have common words that deal with FIREes, and the small-minded people of the IRP will jump on you whatever you choose.  However, I would suggest SWAMI for your status.  It's from this old MMM post, and means Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual.  If you read the post it sounds like it might describe you pretty well:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/30/weekend-edition-retire-in-your-mind-even-if-you-love-your-job/

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2140 on: March 27, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
I forgot about SWAMI.  Maybe that will be me.  I still graduated as a FIRE but might go to summer school!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2141 on: March 28, 2019, 05:08:28 AM »

We are in a 2017 Transit High Roof Extended. Decided on the biggest since it's two of us and we'll be living in it full time. Just finished installing the propane heater and stove/oven. Next week taking it on a week long trip to Utah for rock climbing!

Nice!!  Have a blast!!

@MissNancyPryor I am glad things are falling into place for you and I am glad you have some time to let the knots untie. 

@PowerStache That's exciting.  Those last days go fast.

DH and I are so close.  It is starting to really feel real.  News is spreading fast.  I am getting a mix of reactions, most being happy for me but kind envious.  I tailor my responses based on who I am talking too. 

Yesterday was a goodbye bar visit for a coworker that is being retired.  He isn't ready to go yet, so the event was bittersweet.  He is very good at what he does and has liked doing it for 30 years, but didn't want to relocate.  It is strange to celebrate when others are mourning.  I know you had a similar ending @Trifele.  Luckily I am not the one that has to let them go.

LV 

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2142 on: March 29, 2019, 04:54:29 AM »
Two in a row!

Anyway, it is FRIDAY.  I am oscillating between being excited and not really feeling like it is real. 

I am turning my computer in at 9ish.  Going to my co-worker party at 930.  Then going out to lunch with work friends.  Then not coming back!!

Whee!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2143 on: March 29, 2019, 05:49:30 AM »
Two in a row!

Anyway, it is FRIDAY.  I am oscillating between being excited and not really feeling like it is real. 

I am turning my computer in at 9ish.  Going to my co-worker party at 930.  Then going out to lunch with work friends.  Then not coming back!!

Whee!

Congratulations Loren, I'm so happy for you! Enjoy your last day and your forever weekend!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2144 on: March 29, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »

Whee!

YASSSSSSS!!!!   Congrats @Loren Ver !

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2145 on: March 29, 2019, 08:09:03 AM »
Two in a row!

Whee!

Congratulations!  You've earned this and only get to do it once - enjoy it and remember the feeling!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2146 on: March 29, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »
60 Work days left. 4 calendar months left!!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2147 on: March 29, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
Bonus hit my bank account yesterday.  What to do, what to do. 

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #2148 on: March 29, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
Congratulations to those in this group that recently pulled the plug or are on the precipice of doing so!! 

Its been awhile since I've posted an update, but I've been extremely busy.   Since the fall/winter, work has not been going well and I've grown increasingly unhappy/stressed.  I got a new manager last year who wants to add a lot to my plate without taking anything away.   As my priorities have been changed, the tasks I spent my first 11 years or so here doing (and I feel I'm needed for) have been relegated to the back burner and this has caused some problems and increased my stress level.

I've been planning to pull the plug in late June, but I may need to look at pushing it forward for my sanity.   I had just a few financial goals that I wanted to accomplish in 2019 before I pulled the plug- with the biggest being to fully fund my 401k for the year.  I've been making good progress there and would be on track to do so by mid June, but if I leave earlier I may not get there (I could come close).  To add some complexity to the situation, I'm the only one in my company with a license to perform my specific role in my state and our contract with our client requires they employ a licensed person in the state.  My leaving would requiring unwinding a number of things with no replacement ready to pick up the tasks.  So I want to give somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 weeks notice.  However knowing the hiring process around here there's little chance a replacement would be found and in place even with 6 weeks so I won't be able to just smoothly transfer things over to someone else.   That's fine, I can leave regardless and just start running through a checklist of shut down items (If it takes longer for a replacement to be brought on board I could offer to come back to train them later- of course only for additional pay!).  I'm somewhat torn on moving up my date too much, I really don't want to screw my co-workers by leaving them suddenly and without the proper person on board to help them which could cause problems with our contract, but on the other hand I really want out of here to my freedom.

When I first committed to FIRE during 2019 my job was going relatively smoothly, I just was bored/tired and wanted a change from working so planned an exit.  Now the job is worse (at least in my mind).  I may have some senioritis- I know I'm leaving soon and I'm checking out and overwhelmed.  I need my freedom- and 80 something more days still seems like an eternity when you feel things are not going well and getting worse! 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:46:09 AM by Pylortes »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2149 on: March 29, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »
Pylortes: Sounds like someone is going to become a well-paid consultant. You have all the leverage.... USE IT!