Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793113 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1950 on: March 04, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
Congrats @Ryder and @TheShinyHorse !  Welcome to the other side.  :)

Wow, I never expected so many new people to pop out with FIRE announcements.  What do you all think -- should we add this type of FIRE announcement to the cohort list?

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1951 on: March 04, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »

Wow, I never expected so many new people to pop out with FIRE announcements.  What do you all think -- should we add this type of FIRE announcement to the cohort list?

Let's add them - the more the merrier! Oh, and congrats! :)

On my end, things are getting real. I just received a meeting invite for March 15 for my exit interview. So, perhaps I am leaving two weeks early? I'll have to ask my boss what's up next time I see him. Last we talked, he was going to lay me off (with severance) the first week of April. Two weeks either way doesn't matter much to me, so long as I get my annual bonus paid out.

Today, I am working from home as I had no meetings scheduled. Work has been getting very slow as my projects finish up and I stop getting new ones...

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1952 on: March 04, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »
One thing that surprised me a lot though -- before FIRE I had all these major travel plans, and now I have lost the urge.  I find myself being just really happy where I am.  I guess that's a great thing, but part of me is sad?  wistful? that I'm not going to those places I was dreaming of.  Oh well, it's only been a month.  Maybe the travel bug will bite me again later haha.

I'm not FIRE yet but I've experienced this too. I use to love travel and was always planning a new adventure. Now I'm just so content with my life I don't feel any need to run off elsewhere. I still plan to spend winters in Mexico but that will probably be the extent of my travel post FIRE.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1953 on: March 04, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »
On another topic, still waiting to hear from @Cycling Stache on his status.  We have quite a large group on deck for March, with @exit2019 and @chasesfish up next -- less than a month to go.  Are you two still on target?

I resigned in mid-February.  It looks like I will either OLQ(uarter) or OLY it based on the response.  I kind of dread that with a sort of really primal loathing but if they actually deliver I will do it. Right now we are ticking down to my exit date with no plan in place but I'd give 75+% odds that they come back with a compelling counter and that against my psychological and physical health I'll stick around for it.

TL;DR: TBD.  I did the resign part but I may not do the stick-to-it part. we'll see. don't mark me as CONFIRMED.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:44:21 PM by exit2019 »

TheSinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1954 on: March 05, 2019, 01:16:43 AM »
I officially FIREd one month ago. Mid thirties, male from Holland.
Feels like it hasn't really sunk in yet. I really liked my job, so I will miss it. But I guess I'll have more time now to build an even better life.
I too suffered from the OMY syndrome and I actually stayed one year too long I'm afraid. Guess I'll have to enjoy my free time extra hard now to make up for it!

I'm not sure what to tell friends and family, my current plan is to just tell them I'm an IT freelancer and pretend I have some projects now and then. Which will probably end up happening at some point. Not 100% comfortable with this, but there's a high cultural expectation to work, perform, achieve... And I'm not really eager to tell much about my financial status.

Maybe you could tell your friends that you are taking a sabbatical now and will be freelancing later. If they then ask whether you are having a project, you can honestly answer, "no, not yet".
Thanks for the idea. But I already did a sabattical a while ago. Came back to do OMY :-)
I think I'll look into some Master/MBA type of study as well. If I find something interesting I might actually do it or part of it if I enjoy it.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1955 on: March 05, 2019, 04:48:51 AM »
Thank you @Trifele.  Also, I love that you are playing in the dirt!!!  It has been over a month, how are you doing??

Loren

I'm doing great, thanks!  No decompression problems so far.  I think it helped that I had plenty to retire TO.  I'm much busier than I was before I retired; I always heard Post-FIRE people say that, and it's true.  I joined the Y, am working out, spending loads of time in my garden, and more time with my kids.  I walk around with perma-grin on my face.  I'm more relaxed, and I think I'm a nicer person.  It's like the best vacation I've ever had, only way better because it doesn't end.

One thing that surprised me a lot though -- before FIRE I had all these major travel plans, and now I have lost the urge.  I find myself being just really happy where I am.  I guess that's a great thing, but part of me is sad?  wistful? that I'm not going to those places I was dreaming of.  Oh well, it's only been a month.  Maybe the travel bug will bite me again later haha.

That doesn’t surprise me. DW and I have been discussing this these past days ie: when we FIRE is not a stretch to imagine we travel less rather than more. These days we often feel the need to escape, maybe we won’t post FIRE. Time will tell.

I have been wondering about this too.  I do love a good travel, but as my date got closer the more I just want to be at home.  DH has some concerns about starting off retirement in a rut, so we are doing a long road trip to kick things off on the right foot.  After that we will see. 

I am my mother-in-laws travel buddy for international trips, not sure how that dynamic will change once I am free.

LV

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1956 on: March 05, 2019, 05:05:59 AM »
I've also handed in my notice, with the first day of retirement being as planned, April 1st.

Must confess there's a bit of a feeling of loss and guilt, but it's by far overruled by the joy of the prospect of freedom and, oddly enough, a feeling of relief. The closer the date is, the more I just want to be done with this. Six or twelve months ago I could have formulated not-unrealistically high incentives (type of work + compensation) that would have gotten me to continue working. At this point, I can't.

@Ryder -- I feel you, and that's exactly how I felt.  As FIRE approached there were some sad feelings but it was massively outweighed by the other feelings pushing me toward the exit.  I think all that is completely normal, since it is a major life transition.  Also agree on the mortgage -- we paid ours off just before I REd;  in our case the house is a much bigger chunk of NW, but psychologically it was important to own it outright.  Congrats and respect to you that you were able to achieve FIRE at such a young age.

Less than a month to go for you!  What will you do with your free time?  ;)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1957 on: March 05, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »
Are there any existing threads about adjusting your investments post-FIRE? Most of my investments are with Fidelity now because that was my employer's choice, but i'd like some guidance on tweaking my portfolio once my employer has no more say in my investments.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1958 on: March 05, 2019, 08:19:08 AM »
Are there any existing threads about adjusting your investments post-FIRE? Most of my investments are with Fidelity now because that was my employer's choice, but i'd like some guidance on tweaking my portfolio once my employer has no more say in my investments.

If a substantial 401k is present, I might leave it there, due to possibly better lawsuit protection. Can anyone confirm or deny that ?

I looked in post-FIRE, and a little bit in investor alley, but no relevant threads popped out at me.

If you like your AA the day before FIRE, it should be just as good the day after you start FIRE.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1959 on: March 05, 2019, 08:52:36 AM »

If a substantial 401k is present, I might leave it there, due to possibly better lawsuit protection. Can anyone confirm or deny that ?

I looked in post-FIRE, and a little bit in investor alley, but no relevant threads popped out at me.

If you like your AA the day before FIRE, it should be just as good the day after you start FIRE.

I haven't seen too much either.  Most people seem to go with as aggressive as you can still sleep with at night.  Opinions vary wildly.  Using cfiresim, i have found that higher stock allocations with flexible spending, give the best success rates.  But I am a pretty aggressive investor.

Afford Anything has talked about a U shaped AA over time https://affordanything.com/heres-a-counterintuitive-idea-for-your-retirement/
I find the idea quite interesting. 

Ryder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1960 on: March 06, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »
@Ryder -- I feel you, and that's exactly how I felt.  ...

Less than a month to go for you!  What will you do with your free time?  ;)

Definitely at least one big (<2 months though) trip planned, now getting a bit worried by all the reports above of people losing interest in travel now, haha.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1961 on: March 06, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »

Sure! Why not?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1962 on: March 06, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »

Sure! Why not?

Done!  I've got TheShinyHorse and nowwhat? added to the list above.  The more the merrier. 

Keeks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1963 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »
Hi!  Wow--so many people making progress towards pulling the plug--congrats!!

I've been gone (traveling in Mexico) for a while, so thought I'd comment "from the other side" now that I'm back in the US. 

1.  Guilt and sadness:  I've come to realize that I got lucky by being laid off.  I did have intermittent feelings of guilt (guilt for my DH--not for leaving my company or societal guilt) and sadness.  I will say they lessened a lot AFTER I left the job.  I still had some, and it really subsided a lot after the first week or so of FIRE.  I now have real sense of clarity that if money, socialization, purpose became an issue I could find something to do that would better align to my needs/values/interests than my previous job.  Don't get me wrong, I had an amazing career and opportunities--but I had become too burnt out to continue on.

I also realize that I would probably be a total chicken if it came to ME being the one to walk away--if I had not been laid off.  Quitting in July 2019 was the plan, but I do wonder if the overachiever in me would have wanted OMQ, OMY, OM$50,000....  I know now that getting laid off removed the burden that I see a few of you struggling with--so I'm lucky to have been laid off.  Its the kick out of the nest I needed and its been great so far.

2.  Investing:  Along with my FP, we have come up with a allocation bucket.  I'll be honest and say when he proposed it a year ago, I questioned if it was too conservative.  However, what we've done is to have a non IRA account with 2 years spending in cash, 2 years in bonds (in theory...although its really in cash now because bonds are too low), and 1 year in stocks.  All of the rest of my portfolio is invested 80%/20%.  His proposal was to buy myself a cushion of not needing to sell for several years, based on the recovery timing of past markets and protect against SRR.  Probably too conservative for many, and I thought it would be for me--but now feeling good with the allocation.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1964 on: March 06, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »
Wow, timely medical advice for the 2019 cohort - from 'Mayo Clinic' ;-D

[Health Experts Recommend Standing Up At Desk, Leaving Office, Never Coming Back]

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1965 on: March 06, 2019, 11:20:14 PM »
Wow, timely medical advice for the 2019 cohort - from 'Mayo Clinic' ;-D

[Health Experts Recommend Standing Up At Desk, Leaving Office, Never Coming Back]

LOL

In particular that part about hurling your stuff ID over the parking lot. I always take it of as soon as I leave my desk, walking out without ID around my neck. As my little act of resistence.

Funny that the article didn't say anything about coming back the next day. If that wasn't the intention, then you can't do this too often.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1966 on: March 07, 2019, 02:36:56 AM »
The Onion is satire/ humor, but sadly sometimes excessively close to the truth.

https://www.theonion.com/demonic-spirit-claws-way-out-of-hell-to-flicker-lights-1833096666

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1967 on: March 07, 2019, 03:31:34 AM »
In particular that part about hurling your stuff ID over the parking lot. I always take it of as soon as I leave my desk, walking out without ID around my neck. As my little act of resistence.

I liked the ID bit too LOL. Good on you for your act of resistance, I too often forget I'm wearing it and walk around with it on all night.

The Onion is satire/ humor, but sadly sometimes excessively close to the truth.

As the saying goes 'it's funny 'cuz it's true.' I mostly enjoy the Onion, but every now and then it makes me wince.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:41:50 AM by Parizade »

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #1968 on: March 07, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »
My last day is March 18, 2019!

I know I've been overdue for an update, and there's more I'd like to write later about the process of leaving, which wasn't as straightforward as I thought.  My last day was delayed by the government shutdown and a last-minute trial, but I gave my notice a couple days ago.

I'm looking forward to the next phase of my life.  Very much!

P.S.  Can someone correct my age to 43 in the table.  Thank you!  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:39:56 AM by Cycling Stache »

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #1969 on: March 07, 2019, 10:12:11 AM »
Congrats @Cycling Stache.  Nice to see the mustachian side of the government shut down: having to get paid for an extra month because your work won't open to let you  put notice in.

We are reevaluating FIRE in 2019 already.  Part being chickenshit and part a diagnosis of a not terrible but lifelong medical condition that is going to cost a few thousand a year to manage.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1970 on: March 07, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
Thanks for the check in @Cycling Stache.  Got your date and age fixed on the list.  Also got a PM from 2Birds that his date has moved up a bit.  Bumping the list, so we have a copy on each page.  Should be lots more congratulations flowing from now until the end of the month!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)        CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)         CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse           CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash                   CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)           CONFIRMED
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/15/19     HalfStached  (47)
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor (50)     
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)
04/19/19     Eric (42)
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude                              Date Confirmed
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
10/??/19     Cookie78
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:06:16 AM by Trifele »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1971 on: March 07, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »
Thanks, @Trifele!!!!

And I can't wait to celebrate with each and every one of you this year!!!!!!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1972 on: March 07, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
Congrats @Cycling Stache .  You day is coming up FAST!

@MustacheAnxiety I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis.  Hopefully the news only moves things around for you.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1973 on: March 07, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
Congrats @Cycling Stache.  Nice to see the mustachian side of the government shut down: having to get paid for an extra month because your work won't open to let you  put notice in.

We are reevaluating FIRE in 2019 already.  Part being chickenshit and part a diagnosis of a not terrible but lifelong medical condition that is going to cost a few thousand a year to manage.

Thoughts are with you.  Ongoing medical costs for my spouse pushed me from June of 2018 to March of 2019.

6 work days left.  I just realized next week is spring break and work is going to be empty!!

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1974 on: March 07, 2019, 06:28:54 PM »
19 more working days!  Getting tasks turned over at work and starting to relax. Gave my last presentation to the workforce today.  It's still a little surreal, but I already feel better that I am not going to worrying about budgets and people problems and processes much longer.

I put together a list of items I am wanting to do each week.  Not looking to schedule every moment post - FIRE, but set up a mild routine to keep me from sitting on the internet all day. (not going to happen, but still a irrational thought)

nowwhat?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1975 on: March 08, 2019, 04:50:27 AM »
Congrats everyone!! WOW, thought I retired "early", looks like I'm one of the old farts!!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1976 on: March 08, 2019, 06:25:46 AM »
Congrats everyone!! WOW, thought I retired "early", looks like I'm one of the old farts!!

Early is early, no matter how early that is!!

My boss contacted HR so now there is paperwork.  With that milestone, I am starting to tell people, or more accurately, letting the few people that knew tell others.  I also got my bonus paperwork for 2018.  The bonus is only 30% of what is should have been because the business set the goal crazy high.  Oh well, at least we got something. 

16 days left!

LV

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1977 on: March 08, 2019, 06:32:19 AM »

IKR! I'm starting to realize that the only people who think I'm retiring early are other working people my age. That's okay, before MMM I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to retire. Like many people my age, I feared I'd be working my way into a nursing home.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1978 on: March 08, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »
My October date is starting to look questionable but for a very positive reason... This week, I interviewed for a new job at my current company. To be super transparent (and because I’m feeling the freedom of FU money) I told my would-be manager, who is an all-around awesome guy that I already know pretty well, that I was thinking of leaving in October either for a sabbatical or indefinitely. He volunteered that I could do the job remotely and/or part-time if I want. This was before I even asked about either possibility!

If this materializes and I like the job, I may stay on longer than Oct. 2019 to pad my stash, gift some $$$ to my beloved niece and nephews to minimize their college loans, etc. Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1979 on: March 09, 2019, 12:44:37 AM »
My October date is starting to look questionable but for a very positive reason... This week, I interviewed for a new job at my current company. To be super transparent (and because I’m feeling the freedom of FU money) I told my would-be manager, who is an all-around awesome guy that I already know pretty well, that I was thinking of leaving in October either for a sabbatical or indefinitely. He volunteered that I could do the job remotely and/or part-time if I want. This was before I even asked about either possibility!

If this materializes and I like the job, I may stay on longer than Oct. 2019 to pad my stash, gift some $$$ to my beloved niece and nephews to minimize their college loans, etc. Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations trix76! It is harder to leave when you work with good people and they are making the job fun.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1980 on: March 09, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
My early retirement is going to start early! I found out this week that I'm going to be let go (with 5 months severance) on March 15 - only 5 more working days. I had expected to be let go, but not until April. I'm quite excited!

So, put me down for a finish date of 3/15/19 - at age 47 (for some reason the list has me retiring at 41).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1981 on: March 09, 2019, 11:37:44 AM »
My early retirement is going to start early! I found out this week that I'm going to be let go (with 5 months severance) on March 15 - only 5 more working days. I had expected to be let go, but not until April. I'm quite excited!

So, put me down for a finish date of 3/15/19 - at age 47 (for some reason the list has me retiring at 41).

5 months severance is a good deal. Congrats.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1982 on: March 09, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »

5 months severance is a good deal. Congrats.

I agree, what a nice surprise for you Half Stached!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1983 on: March 09, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
On version two of the resignation letter.  This gets real come Friday

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1984 on: March 09, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »

Congratulations @Half Stached !  That is fantastic.  Got you fixed on the list above.^

I'm Fred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1985 on: March 10, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
Moving up from the 2023 group.  Targeting the Oct-Dec range of this year.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1986 on: March 10, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »
Huge change fred. How did it happen?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1987 on: March 10, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »
Moving up from the 2023 group.  Targeting the Oct-Dec range of this year.

Welcome aboard @i'm Fred!   Wow -- 4LY.  That might be some kind of record.  Got you added in the list above.

I got a PM from BlindSquirrel that s/he is now in TBD status.  Exact words were "I lack the nuts" -- ha ha. 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1988 on: March 10, 2019, 03:57:53 PM »
Welcome Fred, that's wonderful!

I'm Fred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1989 on: March 10, 2019, 04:30:11 PM »
Maybe I should have been here all along, but I have FoBB - fear of being broke.  I have vivid memories of my parents talking about how to pay the property tax, the electric bill, the mortgage, etc.  Eating canned beans for 30 meals in a row (along with other stuff).  Oddly my brother and I took different paths.  I sought financial security with a federal government job where I would always get a pay check.  He went big $ with an MBA and high paying consulting jobs.  I think it worked out for both of us.  My current job is high stress and I've had enough of that.  It's about time to close the door and move on to something else.

I don't know if this is a real retirement as I plan to find another job for general entertainment/keep busy/learn new things while getting paid for it, etc.  I believe I could never work again and I'll be fine, but don't see that happening.  My preference would be to pursue a new interest that pays well.

Here's the SWAG financials:
-2.6m assets  mostly in index funds/401k etc/200k cash
house not included because you have to live someplace=value 400k net after sale - no mortgage
-4k/month pension upon retirement
-wife will continue to work 3-8 years because she wants to - 100k/y salary + lots of frequent flyer miles for vacation fun

I feel that I have a crazy amount of money and also that I don't have enough.  I'm not sure that if I had 40m that I would feel secure.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1990 on: March 10, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »
That's quite a story @i'm Fred.  How many years in/how old are you?  Will you be able to get that pension now?  Either way, sounds like you have more than enough.  It can be hard to pull the plug when it comes right down to it though. 

I'm Fred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1991 on: March 10, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
How many years in/how old are you?  Will you be able to get that pension now?

I'll be 51 at retirement and the pension with begin immediately.  I know I'll never live under a bridge unless I want to :), but still have concerns about future medical costs for the family, parents and inlaws.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1992 on: March 11, 2019, 07:45:20 AM »

I'll be 51 at retirement and the pension with begin immediately.  I know I'll never live under a bridge unless I want to :), but still have concerns about future medical costs for the family, parents and inlaws.

I'm curious, Fred, is that pension public or private? I'll begin collecting my public pension June 1. Currently down to 60 calendar days until my last day in the office, and 31 actual work days . . .

I'm Fred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1993 on: March 11, 2019, 08:35:42 AM »
It's public: US Gov't.  I should probably add a countdown to my desktop, but I haven't picked an exact date yet.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1994 on: March 11, 2019, 09:04:48 AM »

Congratulations @Half Stached !  That is fantastic.  Got you fixed on the list above.^

Woo hoo!  That's great.  Congrats @Half Stached !!

@I'm Fred Welcome!  Glad you decided you have enough!!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:07:21 AM by Loren Ver »

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1995 on: March 11, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »

I'm curious, Fred, is that pension public or private? I'll begin collecting my public pension June 1. Currently down to 60 calendar days until my last day in the office, and 31 actual work days . . .

Thats awesome Fred and dude.  I am actually pleasantly surprised at how many folks on this site have pensions.  Seems like a large number do regardless of the commonly held belief that they are all but extinct.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1996 on: March 11, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
It's public: US Gov't.  I should probably add a countdown to my desktop, but I haven't picked an exact date yet.

Yep, same here -- but goddamn, dude, did you say $2.6mil in non-house assets?? Holy shit, that's insane? Is there another high earner in the household?  In @22 years our house has managed to cobble together north of $1.2million in investments/savings, which I thought was pretty damn good. But $2.6m? Wow!

P.S. -- I have a countdown app on my phone!

Edited to add:  Subsequently read your original post, which answered a few of my questions! I'd still be interested to know what your path was to $2.6mil -- i.e., asset allocation and such? Were you maxing TSP from the get-go? How many years have you been a fed employee?  Just super curious! I know I've left some money on the table by going conservative in my AA the past few years (no regrets), so I'm thinking maybe you were just guns blazing 100% equities from start to finish?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:39:30 AM by dude »

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1997 on: March 11, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
I will have a pension (state government) which provides for all my essential expenses which I will draw on right away.

My personal savings in an IRA (and a modest amount of Social Security in a few years) provides for extras (wants, not needs).

I'm Fred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1998 on: March 11, 2019, 04:00:14 PM »
what your path was to $2.6mil -- i.e., asset allocation and such? Were you maxing TSP from the get-go? How many years have you been a fed employee?

I've been there 26 1/2 years.  If I recall correctly we couldn't sign up for TSP for the first 6 months or so, but can't remember why.  Probably just the man trying to keep me down ;).  It's been 100% in the C fund (S&P 500) from the start.  I figured the pension was the safe part, so the TSP could be more risky.  I was mostly maxed out, but I wasn't always on top of upping the amount as the limits increased.  Back in the 90s you could only do 10% of your salary.  I started at 27k salary, so it was slow going for awhile.  My wife is about 30% higher than me in investments.  She had more aggressive options available and is clobbering me even though she started her 401k two years after I did.  Our salaries have been pretty similar through the years. 

Although I don't talk about money at work some people do and it surprises me how many with similar or more years working with the same or higher salary have less in their Thrift.  It seems that for most it was from moving to the G fund (bonds) when the market was shaky and not getting back in soon enough.  For 10 years I couldn't even remember how to access my account, so I wasn't moving anything. 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1999 on: March 12, 2019, 05:33:39 AM »
@I'm Fred - FoBB.   Yeah, I can relate to that.  Impressive what you've built, especially with utilizing the C fund

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!