Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793134 times)

forward

• Stubble
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1900 on: February 20, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »
okay, I have my one on one (phone) meeting with new boss today.  I have decided I am going to give notice.  I am going to ask for a severance, but don't expect one.  Maybe there will be some negotiation.  This is awkward for me since he has only been my boss a little while, we've never met, and I've only talked on the phone to him once to introduce myself in January. 

There is a small risk, since I am telling him weeks in advance.  But the company now as even more hoops that were just set up, and I don't feel like jumping right now.

LV

Good luck @Loren Ver!  Its nerve wracking for sure.  Hope it goes great, update us when you get a chance.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1901 on: February 20, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
Thank you @forward , @Trifele and @Linda_Norway.

the chat happened.  He now needs to contact HR and the other levels of management.  He is happy for me :).  The HR situation is in flux here are we have merged and are now splitting into several companies, so he needed to check the new policies as to what happens now. 

I did ask for a severance, but I don't think that will happen. 

Now it is the waiting game. 

LV

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1902 on: February 20, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
Why would you get severance if you voluntarily quit?

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1903 on: February 20, 2019, 12:59:42 PM »
Thank you @forward , @Trifele and @Linda_Norway.

the chat happened.  He now needs to contact HR and the other levels of management.  He is happy for me :).  The HR situation is in flux here are we have merged and are now splitting into several companies, so he needed to check the new policies as to what happens now. 

I did ask for a severance, but I don't think that will happen. 

Now it is the waiting game. 

LV

Good for you!  You must be so relieved.  The situation seems kind of comical, like - I'm not sure what policy that falls under (need a FIRE policy) and we're not sure who we should tell about this.  I say this with my company quite proudly having a policy on policies :I

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1904 on: February 20, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Why would you get severance if you voluntarily quit?

You never know . . . that's basically what happened to me.  Especially with a reorg/merger/acquisition going on, the lines between leaving voluntarily and getting laid off can get blurry.  It's worth a shot for sure. 

Congrats @Loren Ver!  That must be a relief to get it behind you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:44:10 PM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1905 on: February 20, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »
Thank you!  It is good to have a group of people that understand.  Now to just get through the HR part.  I've actually never really left a job before, so this is all new to me.  I think I am more nervous now than before I said anything, HA!

As for the severance, like Trifele said, during times of craziness, things can happen.  If they know I want one, we might be able to negotiate something and I would never know unless I asked.  :).

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1906 on: February 21, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
@Linda_Norway  - I hear you on the financial advisor.  We have not taken the most Mustachian approach to FIRE. I have a few areas where I give myself face punches (groceries/restaurants!!) that continue to be worked on in retirement.

@Trifele  - thanks for the update on life after FIRE.  Glad things are going well and gives me hope for enjoying the next chapter. 

Happy for those that are putting in their notice and starting the transition too.  It's going to be a great year!

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #1907 on: February 23, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
So exciting to see so many of you ramping up to make the leap. Cheers to the class of 2019!

Unfortunately, I’m going to succumb to OMY.   Financially I think I’m okay.  Mentally, I’m almost there.  Medically, on the other hand, is another story.   Fair warning to the class of 2020 and beyond that might be lurking here but I really should have prioritized my health and medical to do list 2-3 years before my target date. 

I’ve got a surgery on the horizon and I need to lose some weight first so between scheduling that, recovery, and bonus timing I’m now looking at Fall 2020.  Not going to give up my health insurance, such as it is, until it’s 6 months in the rearview.   

In full transparency I’ve been walking the tightrope between OMY syndrome and SWAMI since I was part of the 2016 class. Even though this wasn’t how I imagined things playing out it’s what I get from the action, or lack thereof, my choices have wrought.   

I’m super grateful though that I have the options I do, that the closer I got to walking away, the less my job sucked and the more travel and life experiences I’ve been able to accessorize my career with. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1908 on: February 24, 2019, 03:32:34 AM »
Sorry to lose you @CryingInThePool.  Health insurance is a very big deal.  Best of luck with your surgery and recovery!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1909 on: February 24, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
Sorry to lose you @CryingInThePool.  Health insurance is a very big deal.  Best of luck with your surgery and recovery!

Totally agree. @CryingInThePool - take care of yourself & good luck with your surgery.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1910 on: February 24, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
So exciting to see so many of you ramping up to make the leap. Cheers to the class of 2019!

Unfortunately, I’m going to succumb to OMY.   Financially I think I’m okay.  Mentally, I’m almost there.  Medically, on the other hand, is another story.   Fair warning to the class of 2020 and beyond that might be lurking here but I really should have prioritized my health and medical to do list 2-3 years before my target date. 

I’ve got a surgery on the horizon and I need to lose some weight first so between scheduling that, recovery, and bonus timing I’m now looking at Fall 2020.  Not going to give up my health insurance, such as it is, until it’s 6 months in the rearview.   

In full transparency I’ve been walking the tightrope between OMY syndrome and SWAMI since I was part of the 2016 class. Even though this wasn’t how I imagined things playing out it’s what I get from the action, or lack thereof, my choices have wrought.   

I’m super grateful though that I have the options I do, that the closer I got to walking away, the less my job sucked and the more travel and life experiences I’ve been able to accessorize my career with.

Best wishes to you with your health and financial journey. Feel welcome to come back anytime. =-)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1911 on: February 24, 2019, 05:09:47 PM »
Three weeks away, only 13 more working days

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1912 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
I'm back from my vacation.  Sorry to read about all of you struggling with finding the confidence to pull the plug.  After two weeks off, I can decidedly say that I am ready to quit yesterday.  But of course I'm sticking with the plan of 4/19.  However, assuming I receive a small bonus that I'm expecting on Thursday, I plan to give my notice then, which would be about 7 weeks notice.  Fingers crossed that they simply walk me out the door then.  lol

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1913 on: February 26, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »
I'm back from my vacation.  Sorry to read about all of you struggling with finding the confidence to pull the plug.  After two weeks off, I can decidedly say that I am ready to quit yesterday.  But of course I'm sticking with the plan of 4/19.  However, assuming I receive a small bonus that I'm expecting on Thursday, I plan to give my notice then, which would be about 7 weeks notice.  Fingers crossed that they simply walk me out the door then.  lol

I have to second this.  I just got back from a nearly two week vacation and it was very clear to me, I'm ready to do this for a much longer time.

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1914 on: February 26, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »

If they do walk you out after giving your 7 weeks notice, are you expecting that they will pay you for those 7 weeks?  I think my company will have the same approach of walking me out but I also think they will try to stop paying me as well.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1915 on: February 26, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »

If they do walk you out after giving your 7 weeks notice, are you expecting that they will pay you for those 7 weeks?  I think my company will have the same approach of walking me out but I also think they will try to stop paying me as well.

Nah, they won't walk me.  That's just a pipe dream.  We basically have company sponsored going away parties for people leaving even if they're taking a job with a competitor.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1916 on: February 26, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »
Bumping the list, as it was getting hard to find on prior pages.  Cycling Stache hasn't posted to the thread since early November, so I moved him to "TBD" until we hear from him.

March is nearly here!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)        CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)         CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse           CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash                   CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)           CONFIRMED
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor (50)     
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)
04/19/19     Eric
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude                              Date Confirmed
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
10/??/19     Cookie78
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:30:09 AM by Trifele »

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #1917 on: February 26, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
Just passed another little FIRE milestone: My FINAL performance review!

In reality, my performance reviews have always been non events, so as expected there were no surprises. Plus I really like my current manager.

Pretty much all I heard was
MoMan, blah blah blah  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ... Keep up the good work

My manager also mentioned that bonuses will be paid out in the next few weeks and there has been no news about COLAs or merit-based raises. I smiled, thinking to myself, "I couldn't care less." Besides, I haven't really spent last year's bonus.

Also, I am now 90 "c" days away from retiring: I work from home 2 days a week, so I only have 90 more cubicle/commute days remaining. Still painful but the time will pass quickly I hope.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1918 on: February 27, 2019, 04:57:29 PM »
I'm 35 and fired two years ago at 33. I was a software engineer and when I quit my career I was making just under $300,000 a year so I can relate to the golden handcuffs dilemma.

Others may have spoken to this effect already but I think our generation has a problem with thinking life requires meaning. Nothing on this planet requires meaning to live. Drawing breath does not involve meaning and I think most people will be a lot happier in the long run if they divorce meaning from happiness. I spent a lot of time thinking about this after I stopped working and suddenly had many hours of the day to ponder what it is I wanted to be doing with my life. I realized that meaning is a self-imposed construct that inevitably only limits what you're able to do with your life because of the negative feelings that arise from the idea of having a lack of meaning. Trying to find meaning in any particular activity of your life leaves you open to unhappiness if your circumstances suddenly change and you are no longer able to live meaningfully. Think about the worker whose meaning is pouring his soul into woodworking and is suddenly disabled to where he is no longer able to do that. We put such a great weight on meaning that the loss of it creates identity crises for many people. If instead we focused on the pursuit of happiness then when something is no longer able to provide it we can simply continue the pursuit elsewhere.

If you're financially independent and your job brings you no happiness, perhaps you should question why you're spending 40 or more hours a week doing something that brings you know happiness. It could be that the salary allows you to do other things in your life that bring enough happiness that it's worth those 40 hours a week. Perhaps the job itself is rewarding to you and give some form of happiness. If it isn't then what is the point of staying in the job?

If you're not truly financially independent then it would seem the answer is comparing the choice of staying in the job to become more so and what amount of happiness in life that may provide you while doing it and choosing to leave the job for something else and what level of happiness that could provide. Everything in life is a gamble though and there's no guarantee that something you may choose to pursue will provide the level of happiness you think it will, particularly if you're pursuing something that is new to you and you don't yet know whether you truly enjoy it.

I've noticed that some of the happiest people I've come across aren't the most intelligent. I think this allows them to more easily accept most things in life and be happy with what they have. Those of us constantly questioning things and looking for the best or quickest way to do something never seem to be satisfied and I wonder if the feeling of needing meaning is somehow tied to that. I've spent a lot of time trying to slow down and actually enjoy my life more and think about meaning less. I've been pleasantly surprised at how okay I am with not accomplishing much on a day-to-day basis. I would say that last spring is probably the first time in my life that I've experienced truly unbridled joy just to be alive. Taking in a glorious day, going for a walk, or something else of that nature. None of those things involve meaning and I've never been happier.

This was posted on another thread and it was too good not to republish for all of us 2019 counterparts to think about

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1919 on: February 27, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
Bumping the list, as it was getting hard to find on prior pages.  Cycling Stache hasn't posted to the thread since early November, so I moved him to "TBD" until we hear from him.

March is nearly here!

Thanks!  I like having one copy on the current page. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1920 on: February 28, 2019, 12:47:11 PM »
77 days until my sabbatical. Went to lunch with a senior director (peer team) & she encouraged me to think hard about what I want when I'm out, because she thinks it's very likely I can ask for & receive any flexible work arrangement. That would be huge, as I could keep my stock & determine if I enjoy doing a part time role. I've previously not given much thought to this, as my employer very, very rarely grants part time. We shall see!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:24:40 PM by MaybeBabyMustache »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1921 on: February 28, 2019, 01:13:51 PM »
Just gave my notice.  No going back now!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1922 on: February 28, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
Congratulations @Eric !!  You have strapped on your chute and have stepped up to the open door of the plane.  3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . .

@MaybeBabyMustache -- that is great news.  Options are good things to have.  :)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #1923 on: February 28, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »

Congratulations! Time for new adventures!

Despite being ready and confident in my plans, there was a pit in my stomach when I actually said the words to my boss that I'm retiring. 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1924 on: February 28, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »
Congratulations! Time for new adventures!

Despite being ready and confident in my plans, there was a pit in my stomach when I actually said the words to my boss that I'm retiring.

I had a practice run.  First thing this morning, I took a young temp aside (that I think is a really good worker and smart kid) to let him know he's about to have some leverage, and whatever they offer him, he should counter for more.  I wish someone would've done that for me when I was his age!  I was feeling the nerves for that talk.  Then a couple hours later, I told my boss and he was cool with it and I was definitely less nervous.  Makes no sense, I know.  But I guess the practice run must've really helped.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1925 on: February 28, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »

Congratulations Eric!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1926 on: February 28, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
I have the sudden urge to hanglide!

Congrats @Eric !!!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1927 on: February 28, 2019, 08:25:44 PM »
Congrats, @Eric
Thanks, @Trifele - totally agree. Nothing wrong with having more options

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1928 on: February 28, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
77 days until my sabbatical. Went to lunch with a senior director (peer team) & she encouraged me to think hard about what I want when I'm out, because she thinks it's very likely I can ask for & receive any flexible work arrangement. That would be huge, as I could keep my stock & determine if I enjoy doing a part time role. I've previously not given much thought to this, as my employer very, very rarely grants part time. We shall see!

Be careful MaybeBabyMustashe:   This looks like the slippery slope to OMY.  Also I'd like to point out that several forum members have found Part Time = FTEquivalient,
Just remember you have FU Money exponentially and have total control of the situation.   Nothing less than your ultimate goal is acceptable. 
Smoke up your a.....  a year prior is not the same thing as FIRE.

Go 2019!

Mark, OP, OLY

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1929 on: March 01, 2019, 12:04:41 AM »

Be careful MaybeBabyMustashe:   This looks like the slippery slope to OMY.  Also I'd like to point out that several forum members have found Part Time = FTEquivalient,
Just remember you have FU Money exponentially and have total control of the situation.   Nothing less than your ultimate goal is acceptable. 

Go 2019!

Mark, OP, OLY
I'd second those concerns about PT turning into FT, but that can be managed.  My 1 day a week gig is actually turning out to be 1.5 to 2 most weeks and, if I let it, could be just as stressful as FT.  It isn't for me because I was well prepared.  I expected the hours creep so rather than agree to 2 days - which was my initial thought - I only offered 1 day with paid overtime for anything over that.  This way I'm doing less than I expected, they are getting more than they feared and everyone is happy.  More importantly, it's a time limited role and I made it clear that I'd be as helpful as possible, but I refused to actually own anything unless I wanted to.  That leaves me in a position to just dump all the stress up the line and go play with my woodpile.
For me it has been a useful transition mentally and doesn't get in the way of living the FIRE life too much as school age kids already imposes so much structure. 
ETA: If my PT role wasn't already time-limited I would probably be looking to end it fairly soon.  It's done its job of helping me transition and it is starting to get annoying when my working day turns out to be the day with the best weather!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:24:32 AM by PhilB »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1930 on: March 01, 2019, 02:25:08 PM »
Congrats @Eric !!  Deep breaths!

The count down has really started in my family.  This is the last month.  At this time next month we will be in Chicago starting our route 66 drive.  Whee!

Each time I see the list, I am happy there are more people, but I wonder if my and Mr Ver's last days should be that Friday (Match 29th) since neither of us work weekends.... 

I still haven't heard from HR and it has been a week and a half.  Not sure if this is normal since I have never done this before.  Might have to poke my boss to make sure things are happening.

LV

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1931 on: March 01, 2019, 03:18:38 PM »
Congrats Eric!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1932 on: March 01, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »

Go 2019!

Mark, OP, OLY
I'd second those concerns about PT turning into FT, but that can be managed.  My 1 day a week gig is actually turning out to be 1.5 to 2 most weeks and, if I let it, could be just as stressful as FT.  It isn't for me because I was well prepared.  I expected the hours creep so rather than agree to 2 days - which was my initial thought - I only offered 1 day with paid overtime for anything over that.  This way I'm doing less than I expected, they are getting more than they feared and everyone is happy.  More importantly, it's a time limited role and I made it clear that I'd be as helpful as possible, but I refused to actually own anything unless I wanted to.  That leaves me in a position to just dump all the stress up the line and go play with my woodpile.
For me it has been a useful transition mentally and doesn't get in the way of living the FIRE life too much as school age kids already imposes so much structure. 
ETA: If my PT role wasn't already time-limited I would probably be looking to end it fairly soon.  It's done its job of helping me transition and it is starting to get annoying when my working day turns out to be the day with the best weather!

It's good feedback & perspective on all sides, and I like your take @PhilB . For me, it comes down to finding the right compromise with my spouse. And by that, I mean that he's totally supportive of whatever is best for me/my health/mental state. But, I have my own feelings on that & him working another 7 years while I'm fully retired. I think that trying out a part time gig & validating whether it is indeed full time masked as part time (and as such, a terrible tradeoff), or something that I enjoy & fits in well with my family friendly (desired) lifestyle, is at least worth investigating. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1933 on: March 02, 2019, 07:08:46 AM »
15 weeks to go here!!!

This months market performance has us at 16x annual expenses.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1934 on: March 02, 2019, 02:22:45 PM »

You post reminded me of Dr. Doom's (LivingAFI) third post in the Quit Series.  It's one of my favorite posts.  The situation is different, but there are some parallels.  The link is below, but if you aren't familiar with the blog reading parts 1&2 might be good.  https://livingafi.com/2015/03/22/quitters-never-win-except-when-they-do-33/

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1935 on: March 02, 2019, 02:43:24 PM »
I finally looked into the pensions that my partner and I are eligible for.  I have intentionally ignored the value of the pensions because pensions are notoriously unreliable; my company could go out of business and government insurance is no guarantee that we'll get most or all of the money that they claim we'll get.  I still consider our pensions a bonus that we can't rely on, so I've avoided learning details other than things that are important to my planning.  For instance, I know how payouts are calculated, I know the early retirement rules, I know about vesting, etc.  I just don't know how much we're supposed to get - at least I didn't until today.

In short, if we quit at the end of April as planned we should get enough to cover ~70% of our planned expenses starting in 22-23 years.  This is a lot more than I expected!  The dollar figure increases according to an inflation calculation until we start taking it, then the dollar figure freezes.  That's another reason we can't count on it; inflation will eat away at the value of our pension payments.  Nevertheless, if the pensions are around that plus SS will put us well over our planned expenses (starting at very roughly 140% and dropping over time).  With the run-up in equities over the past 2 months we unexpectedly are now past 30x our planned spending if the ACA stays as-is.  We're close to 25x if the ACA cost sharing and premium subsidies are eliminated, give or take. 

I feel like this should make me feel better, but I can't help but feel like the failure modes for each are correlated.  In other words, if the 4% rule fails even if we cut spending, then things are going to be so bad that our company may fail and government may have trouble funding social security.  On the other hand, if the pension is around and S.S. pays out what we expect then it's likely that the 4% rule worked and we'll have way too much. 

I need to get over my fear of these risks.  While I haven't submitted my formal notice, I've told everyone at work my plans.  I'm leaving whether I'm terrified or not.  But all the back-up plans (and the above are just a few) aren't enough to make the fear subside.  I am far more excited than fearful, but I'm pretty damn fearful. 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1936 on: March 03, 2019, 05:17:13 AM »
@FIRE 20/20 - I also have a pension to throw into the calculation.  I've wondered how to/not to value it and ultimately I got past 25x before calculating it.

I've found the best way to include this is to use Fidelity's guaranteed income estimator, then act as if you had to buy an annuity today to replace that pension.  It'll give you a lump sum you pay in today.  That's basically the value of your pension if you want to include it in your net worth or 4% calculation.

https://gpi.fidelity.com/ftgw/interfaces/gie/

nowwhat?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1937 on: March 03, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
I've been lurking a couple years- Officially FIRE'd 2-28-19. Looking for new adventures and opportunities!!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1938 on: March 03, 2019, 04:41:35 PM »
I've been lurking a couple years- Officially FIRE'd 2-28-19. Looking for new adventures and opportunities!!
That's a hell of a first post!  Congratulations

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1939 on: March 03, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »
That's a hell of a first post!  Congratulations

Congrats!  Welcome to the cohort!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1940 on: March 04, 2019, 04:25:21 AM »
Congrats and welcome aboard @nowwhat? !  Got you added to the list above.  Also got your dates changed @Loren Ver.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1941 on: March 04, 2019, 05:04:56 AM »

Congratulations!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1942 on: March 04, 2019, 05:05:06 AM »
Thank you @Trifele.  Also, I love that you are playing in the dirt!!!  It has been over a month, how are you doing??

Loren

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1943 on: March 04, 2019, 05:19:03 AM »
Congrats, @nowwhat?

We need a rule to encourage delurking before someone pulls the plug, lest they don't make the list ;)

Moving forward of course.

Ryder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1944 on: March 04, 2019, 06:44:13 AM »
I've also handed in my notice, with the first day of retirement being as planned, April 1st.

Must confess there's a bit of a feeling of loss and guilt, but it's by far overruled by the joy of the prospect of freedom and, oddly enough, a feeling of relief. The closer the date is, the more I just want to be done with this. Six or twelve months ago I could have formulated not-unrealistically high incentives (type of work + compensation) that would have gotten me to continue working. At this point, I can't.

To weigh in on the earlier discussion on mortgages: I've chosen to pay mine off. I don't think it would make a huge difference either way with how the taxes are structured where I live. Knowing that my fixed living expenses (including maintenance, insurance, food, transportation, energy, etc.) are just some 3 digit number monthly does give me a very comfortable feeling. Worst case if all my money evaporates I can still live extremely comfortably on just about any job, part-time at that. The choice was made a lot easier by the house representing <5% of the overall nest egg - there's not much Fear Of Missing Out on higher capital gains elsewhere.

I don't mentally regard the house as an investment, but more as a sunk one-time cost virtually guaranteeing a solar panelled roof over my head for the rest of my life.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:09:00 AM by Ryder »

TheSinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1945 on: March 04, 2019, 07:07:01 AM »
I officially FIREd one month ago. Mid thirties, male from Holland.
Feels like it hasn't really sunk in yet. I really liked my job, so I will miss it. But I guess I'll have more time now to build an even better life.
I too suffered from the OMY syndrome and I actually stayed one year too long I'm afraid. Guess I'll have to enjoy my free time extra hard now to make up for it!

I'm not sure what to tell friends and family, my current plan is to just tell them I'm an IT freelancer and pretend I have some projects now and then. Which will probably end up happening at some point. Not 100% comfortable with this, but there's a high cultural expectation to work, perform, achieve... And I'm not really eager to tell much about my financial status.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1946 on: March 04, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »
I officially FIREd one month ago. Mid thirties, male from Holland.
Feels like it hasn't really sunk in yet. I really liked my job, so I will miss it. But I guess I'll have more time now to build an even better life.
I too suffered from the OMY syndrome and I actually stayed one year too long I'm afraid. Guess I'll have to enjoy my free time extra hard now to make up for it!

I'm not sure what to tell friends and family, my current plan is to just tell them I'm an IT freelancer and pretend I have some projects now and then. Which will probably end up happening at some point. Not 100% comfortable with this, but there's a high cultural expectation to work, perform, achieve... And I'm not really eager to tell much about my financial status.

Maybe you could tell your friends that you are taking a sabbatical now and will be freelancing later. If they then ask whether you are having a project, you can honestly answer, "no, not yet".

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1947 on: March 04, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Congrats @TheShinyHorse and @Ryder.   

Exciting times!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1948 on: March 04, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
Thank you @Trifele.  Also, I love that you are playing in the dirt!!!  It has been over a month, how are you doing??

Loren

I'm doing great, thanks!  No decompression problems so far.  I think it helped that I had plenty to retire TO.  I'm much busier than I was before I retired; I always heard Post-FIRE people say that, and it's true.  I joined the Y, am working out, spending loads of time in my garden, and more time with my kids.  I walk around with perma-grin on my face.  I'm more relaxed, and I think I'm a nicer person.  It's like the best vacation I've ever had, only way better because it doesn't end.

One thing that surprised me a lot though -- before FIRE I had all these major travel plans, and now I have lost the urge.  I find myself being just really happy where I am.  I guess that's a great thing, but part of me is sad?  wistful? that I'm not going to those places I was dreaming of.  Oh well, it's only been a month.  Maybe the travel bug will bite me again later haha.   

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1949 on: March 04, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »

Loren

I'm doing great, thanks!  No decompression problems so far.  I think it helped that I had plenty to retire TO.  I'm much busier than I was before I retired; I always heard Post-FIRE people say that, and it's true.  I joined the Y, am working out, spending loads of time in my garden, and more time with my kids.  I walk around with perma-grin on my face.  I'm more relaxed, and I think I'm a nicer person.  It's like the best vacation I've ever had, only way better because it doesn't end.

One thing that surprised me a lot though -- before FIRE I had all these major travel plans, and now I have lost the urge.  I find myself being just really happy where I am.  I guess that's a great thing, but part of me is sad?  wistful? that I'm not going to those places I was dreaming of.  Oh well, it's only been a month.  Maybe the travel bug will bite me again later haha.

That doesn’t surprise me. DW and I have been discussing this these past days ie: when we FIRE is not a stretch to imagine we travel less rather than more. These days we often feel the need to escape, maybe we won’t post FIRE. Time will tell.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!