Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793117 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1350 on: November 09, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
@Trifele - exciting on the potential date change!
@itchyfeet - I have a similar possibility matrix, but mine looks more like this:

Possibility of taking a sabbatical - 99%
Possibility of coming back part-time/reduced afters hours after said sabbatical - 60%
Possibility of turning in my badge after sabbatical & outright quitting - 40%

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1351 on: November 09, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
I'm a little nervous seeing my name first on the list!

I have to admit that I started to hesitate when I look at my finances and wonder if I really have enough money.  It's not so much the amount as the sense that, from working, way more money comes in than goes out, so it feels like if anything were to happen, I'd be immediately covered.  I kind of got over this by thinking about how much more money would make me feel better.  $100k?  Probably no impact (we dropped $150k last month from investments before some of the recent recovery).  $500k?  Not in any kind of definite sense, and that's 5 more years working.  A million sounds good, but that's another 10 years, and I'm not working 10 more years just to feel a little more secure.

I completely feel this way too.   I have a number that would make me feel better, but I also know that is not worth the pain.  The  big drop last month (not so much now as some has been recovered) didn't really bother me...I guess that is due in part to I am still working and in part to a targeted 3.25-3.5% WR (allows some cushion for portfolio to drop before I get to the 4% rule).   But still it stresses me - the firehose of cash is a powerful thing.

I'm in the same boat too.  I figure the nerves are there mostly because this is a major life event.  If I'm not nervous about it, there's probably something wrong with me.  I'm willing to bet that all of us would still be nervous even with twice as much money, simply because of the fact that this is a HUGE DEAL!!  It's like the first day of school or getting married.  You've never done it before and while you can read about it all you want, it's hard to actually know what to expect until afterwards.  It's completely normal to be nervous. 

Plus, it doesn't have to be permanent.  In the early retirement community we talk a lot about failure, whether that's portfolio failure or retirement failure.  And within that context, it's basically assumed that if you don't execute a plan that includes never working again that you failed.  But you only get one life.  Did I really fail if I took a decade off work to travel around the world before I went back to work part time?  Technically, sure, the IRP knows that my retirement "failed", but removing the word retirement, nearly everyone else would consider taking a decade off work during your prime living years as a win.  So I try to view it through that lens where even the failure scenario seems like a pretty good option.

Ditto on the nervousness thing. I've been a little spendy lately because between my pension and savings (and subsidized health insurance), I figured I've got more than enough. On the other hand, I'm a little nervous that the withdrawal of losing the Big Paycheck will be psychologically tough to handle. The reality is, I'm planning to keep a check on things by taking a mere 2% (or less) withdrawal anyway, so I should be just fine. But a part of me wants that security of having my account grow fatter and fatter every year -- I'm enamored with the idea of ending up with multi-millions in my account at the end of the road, so I can do good things with the money when I no longer need it. Bottom line for me though is I have to get out of this job; I'm not longer able to be sufficiently productive or caring enough to stick around. So no matter what the market does, I'm going (and unlike younger folks here, at 54, I have to be more realistic about the prospects of employment after I leave . . .).

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: November 09, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »
I also definitely empathise  with the above posts.

I have a fair sized stash to FIRE on. It is extremely unlikely that We will ever have to spend less than the median Australian household spends.

However, I still question whether maybe I should shoot higher. I enjoy the freedom of jetting all over the place today, and will have to travel very differently post FIRE to reduce spending.

But like cyclestash says, one or 2 years of extra work won’t really make a fundamental difference. 5 years would make a difference, but 5 years is a massive chunk of time.

Sure, OMY or 2MY would give a little more certainty to my current spending plans as we will be drawing abut 4.5% most likely,, but DW still plans on working casually in the future so this will get us well below 4%, and there is always the chance I might do a short contract or 2 as well. That extra cashflow will also plug any small gaps that need/want plugging.

My body is getting old. I want to get off my ass, and out of the office before it is totally rotted.

Same situation here. My damn pension alone will net me more than the median income for a family of 4 in this country (which causes me to have a slight degree of guilt, but then again that money is deferred compensation, i.e., money that's been paid by my agency out of current operating budgets year after year and placed in our pension account). And shit, I just calculated that we have @$350k of equity in our house, so we could easily sell and move to a LCOL area and buy something outright and eliminate our $1,800/mo. mortgage). So why am I still nervous?? Probably that whole thing about waiting for the other shoe to drop when life is going so swimmingly, you know?  Lyle Lovett sings, in his song "Lucky":

I've had an excellent time so far
There's only one thing that I fear
I've been up so long on this lucky star
It could be all downhill from here
It could be all downhill from here

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1353 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »

Same situation here. My damn pension alone will net me more than the median income for a family of 4 in this country (which causes me to have a slight degree of guilt, but then again that money is deferred compensation, i.e., money that's been paid by my agency out of current operating budgets year after year and placed in our pension account). And shit, I just calculated that we have @$350k of equity in our house, so we could easily sell and move to a LCOL area and buy something outright and eliminate our $1,800/mo. mortgage). So why am I still nervous?? Probably that whole thing about waiting for the other shoe to drop when life is going so swimmingly, you know?  Lyle Lovett sings, in his song "Lucky":

Hehe- you have more home equity than my family had in net worth at the end of 2016....  That made me giggle. 

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1354 on: November 09, 2018, 08:23:17 AM »

Hehe- you have more home equity than my family had in net worth at the end of 2016....  That made me giggle.

Courtesy of significant property value appreciation in our HCOL east coast city! We've only contributed about $83k of that.  :-)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1355 on: November 09, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »

Courtesy of significant property value appreciation in our HCOL east coast city! We've only contributed about $83k of that.  :-)

That is even more awesome and giggly!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1356 on: November 09, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
18 weeks to go until my notice

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1357 on: November 13, 2018, 08:07:44 AM »
18 weeks to go until my notice

More or less 7 weeks to go until I likely give mine, but that will be 5 months' notice! On the other hand, the Nervous Nellie in me thinks I may hold off until @60 days before retirement to give notice, just in case I change my mind (once I announce, it will set a series of things in motion, including announcing the vacancy of my position for a new hire/promotion -- hard to unring that bell once it happens). Which is why part of me and  thinking just fucking do it on the first of the new year, to avoid any hemming and hawing and OMY'ing.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1358 on: November 13, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
Ditto here. I need to give 3 months notice, but thinking I might give 5 so that I can just move forward with plans with 100% confidence that I am actually not,going to be working post June.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1359 on: November 13, 2018, 06:38:45 PM »
Wow to these 2-3 months notices.

I am supposed to give 30 days.  Its excruciating to wait.  If I give notice any earlier the predators would descend on the bonus pool immediately

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1360 on: November 14, 2018, 12:42:37 AM »
Ditto here. I need to give 3 months notice, but thinking I might give 5 so that I can just move forward with plans with 100% confidence that I am actually not,going to be working post June.

I think 3 months notice is long enough for your employer to prepare for your leave. You might find 5 months very long if they start treating you differently.

I need to give 3 full calendar months notice. But as I plan to leave the first of October, my leave can include my whole summer vacation, which could be 5 weeks, depending on how many days I use up earlier next year.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1361 on: November 14, 2018, 05:37:15 AM »

I think 3 months notice is long enough for your employer to prepare for your leave. You might find 5 months very long if they start treating you differently.

I need to give 3 full calendar months notice. But as I plan to leave the first of October, my leave can include my whole summer vacation, which could be 5 weeks, depending on how many days I use up earlier next year.

I had to give 6 months (CAN military) and the difference is pretty extensive. Lost my office, got added a bunch of administrative tasks, and generally no longer get put up for anything. Plus, now everything is seen in the light "because he's leaving". Oh he arrived 5min late today? He must be phoning in his last 6 months. Didn't comb his hair, lack of motivation... etc.

I gave in the minimum amount of heads up, and would have much preferred 2-4 weeks.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1362 on: November 14, 2018, 05:55:00 AM »
I really need to stop working soon. Recently I had a health check at work where it was discovered that I have very high blood pressure. This is after I downshifting to working 80% from September. I feel so much less stress than last year (from autumn 2017 to summer 2018). And still my blood pressure is so high. I am going to check it out with my GP next week. Maybe I'll get a machine that measures blood pressure for 24 hours. I am convinced that FIRE would be much better for my health.

The evidence linking chronic high blood pressure to stress is pretty weak/non-existent.  It feels like there should be a link, but several studies seem to sure there isn't one. Home blood pressure monitor is quite useful/interesting though. I would never have guessed that licorice raises my blood pressure by so much, for example.

I had been eating licorice the day before... Let's hope it was only that.
But I do feel stressed and anxious about a lot of things most of the time. For example today at work, where I have responsibility for so many problems that I cannot solve myself. Technical limitations, depending on colleagues who are difficult to reach, depending on a supplier that had several weeks delay. I was pretty relaxed at the start of the day, but my anxiety and feelings of being inadequate are really high now.

Just back at work from a visit to my GP. He also measured very high blood pressure. He thought I might have been affected by the circumstances (being stressed by the test itself). But at the end of the month I will get a 24 hour measuring machine installed on me, on a thursday, which is a working day for me. The machine has a busy agenda and that is why we can't do it earlier. But we'll take it from there. Then I will be measured several times an hour during the whole day. I am very curious about what that will show.

That's good Linda.  I hope you are able to get some actionable information from the tests.   

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1363 on: November 14, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »

I am supposed to give 30 days.  Its excruciating to wait.  If I give notice any earlier the predators would descend on the bonus pool immediately

In my case, it's fed government job, so there is a shitload of paperwork processing that happens with retirements. And backfilling my position will take at least a couple months again because of the red tape (and whoever is selected usually is allowed several pay periods to report, especially if a geographic move involved), so I don't want to leave my colleagues hanging for too long. A friend of mine just filed his paperwork -- SIX MONTHS in advance! (that's the soonest you can file)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1364 on: November 14, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »

In my case, it's fed government job, so there is a shitload of paperwork processing that happens with retirements. And backfilling my position will take at least a couple months again because of the red tape (and whoever is selected usually is allowed several pay periods to report, especially if a geographic move involved), so I don't want to leave my colleagues hanging for too long. A friend of mine just filed his paperwork -- SIX MONTHS in advance! (that's the soonest you can file)

That's a nice advantage of your federal job.  They've been known to terminate people at my company for suggesting they need to relocate and leave.

The arrogance is astounding

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1365 on: November 18, 2018, 03:21:38 AM »
Updating the roster.  @elaine amj has decided to pull the plug this year.  Congrats elaine!

How is everyone doing?  I am slogging it out and hoping to turn in my resignation next month.  Right around the corner!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

02/01/19     Cycling Stache (44)
02/01/19     Trifele (51)
02/08/19     Socmonkey (37)
02/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Roboturner  (30)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
03/31/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/31/19     Loren Ver (36)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
04/23/19     Canadian Ben (29)
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
04/??/19     PowerStache (43)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/31/19     Pylortes  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude   
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     Bateaux  (50)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/01/19     Freedomin5 (38)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
10/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
10/01/19     Linda_Norway
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer

OLY FIRE-ees:
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
Elaine amj (40)               OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/30/18
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:04:08 AM by Trifele »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1366 on: November 18, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
Love the roster.  Do I get to count 36 for the retirement age since I'll be 36 on my notice date?  Company "requests" a 1 month notice period, which they tend to pay for but not really ask me to work.  I'll flip over to 37 before the paycheck drops.

17 weeks to go

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1367 on: November 18, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
Love the roster.  Do I get to count 36 for the retirement age since I'll be 36 on my notice date?  Company "requests" a 1 month notice period, which they tend to pay for but not really ask me to work.  I'll flip over to 37 before the paycheck drops.

17 weeks to go

Funny you should ask that. I don't have an answer, but DH and I decided to move our date to the end of March since i turn 37 in mid- April.  This way two things happen :1) I get to retire at 36, which is much less prime, but otherwise a very neat number.  DH still gets out at 39, as was the original agreement from many many years ago. 2)  Our first retired day will by April 1st.  We both find that amusing. 

Exciting times!
Loren

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1368 on: November 18, 2018, 05:09:05 PM »

17 weeks to go

Funny you should ask that. I don't have an answer, but DH and I decided to move our date to the end of March since i turn 37 in mid- April.  This way two things happen :1) I get to retire at 36, which is much less prime, but otherwise a very neat number.  DH still gets out at 39, as was the original agreement from many many years ago. 2)  Our first retired day will by April 1st.  We both find that amusing. 

Exciting times!
Loren

Congrats!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1369 on: November 18, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »
@Loren Ver and @chasesfish -- got you both updated.  That year really does make a difference, doesn't it?  I remember it felt wonderful when I rolled back my FIRE date over my birthday . . . almost like I got a whole 'nother year of life. 

Exciting times indeed!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1370 on: November 19, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »
@Loren Ver and @chasesfish -- got you both updated.  That year really does make a difference, doesn't it?  I remember it felt wonderful when I rolled back my FIRE date over my birthday . . . almost like I got a whole 'nother year of life. 

Exciting times indeed!!

At the next update you may add the 1rst of October to my date.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1371 on: November 19, 2018, 01:37:40 AM »
I can't tell you how excited I am at the thought that the class of 2019 will soon start to graduate.  Despite having defected to the 2018 cohort, who are also a great bunch of people, I still feel more emotionally invested in you lot and will be cheering from the sidelines over the next year.  Come on in, the water's lovely!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1372 on: November 19, 2018, 01:40:03 AM »
I can't tell you how excited I am at the thought that the class of 2019 will soon start to graduate.  Despite having defected to the 2018 cohort, who are also a great bunch of people, I still feel more emotionally invested in you lot and will be cheering from the sidelines over the next year.  Come on in, the water's lovely!

I am also really excited about it. Less than a year to work for me (if everything works out). And a very short time left to work for most other people in this thread.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1373 on: November 19, 2018, 04:48:08 AM »

I am also really excited about it. Less than a year to work for me (if everything works out). And a very short time left to work for most other people in this thread.

Thanks PhilB.  Finding a cohort is like family.  Even if you move around, we're still family ;).

Linda, are you feeling more confident?  I am really cheering for you and your husband!!

LV

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1374 on: November 19, 2018, 07:14:31 AM »
Yesterday, I found out that my "golden handcuffs" (stock options) aren't worth nearly as much as my company had led me to believe when I accepted my offer. I initially picked 10/1 because that was when I could exercise the first chunk (25%) of options. Now my date will be dictated by works bullshit vs. how close to 4% WR rate I am =D

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1375 on: November 19, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »
I've heard good things about the month of April, right after Easter. 2019.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1376 on: November 27, 2018, 03:28:10 AM »
After much consideration over the holiday, I'm going to submit my resignation today!  Target last day of work is January 2.  (I'm required to give four weeks' notice, but I'm planning to take a week off at Christmas, so it ends up being a five week notice.)  I'm thrilled-- so happy I can't sit still.  I honestly thought about pulling the plug 12/31/18, but I figure why not work an extra day and get the month's insurance, and also -- I wanted to stick around with you fine folks in this cohort. 

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1377 on: November 27, 2018, 05:02:53 AM »
After much consideration over the holiday, I'm going to submit my resignation today!  Target last day of work is January 2.  (I'm required to give four weeks' notice, but I'm planning to take a week off at Christmas, so it ends up being a five week notice.)  I'm thrilled-- so happy I can't sit still.  I honestly thought about pulling the plug 12/31/18, but I figure why not work an extra day and get the month's insurance, and also -- I wanted to stick around with you fine folks in this cohort. 

WOO HOO!

That is fantastic.  I was wondering if you were going to slide into the 2018 group or stay here.  Glad you stayed!

The recent market numbers give me mixed feelings.  Normally I wouldn't mind a dip (sale), but the plan was to pull out money at the end of this year to buffer for the future.  We did some math over the weekend and decided that we should be okay with our current cash-like buffers we have established.  Since we decided not to pay off the house at the end of the year, we wont be pulling out quite so much, which is a relief.

LV

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1378 on: November 27, 2018, 05:22:09 AM »

Congrats on putting the first step in motion. Please let us know how it went.
I support you also take some time off around Christmas. Then you probably only have 1 month effective job left? Wow!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1379 on: November 27, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
@Trifele, congrats!! That's amazing news. Please do let us know how it plays out =)

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1380 on: November 27, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »

Very cool! Congrats!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1381 on: November 27, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »

Outstanding news - congrats!

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1382 on: November 27, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
May as well make it official, I've OMY'ed out of the 2018 cohort.  Put me down with a target of 8/1/2019.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1383 on: November 27, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
Welp, it's done.  Resignation letter submitted and last day is January 2!  Boss was not that surprised because loads of people are jumping ship (Megacorp takeover in progress), but did try to persuade me to stay.  That was nice, but I just said my mind was made up.  It was a nice conversation, and I thanked Boss for having hired me. 

I'll share with you all that I had an amazing dream last night.  In the dream I bought a new house, and I was walking through it exploring everything.  I opened a door and found a sunny room with a gorgeous garden growing in it, full of flowers.  It was one of the best dreams I've ever had.  I woke up so happy this morning.  I took that dream as a sign that was SO READY to turn in my notice.  And I was -- It went great and I'm content and full of peace.     I feel like that house in my dream is maybe a symbol for my life?  That my subconscious is telling me there are wonderful things ahead.  :) 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1384 on: November 27, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
Updated roster with Trifele's new date, and welcoming @SugarMountain!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/02/19     Trifele (51)
02/01/19     Cycling Stache (44)
02/08/19     Socmonkey (37)
02/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Roboturner  (30)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
03/31/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/31/19     Loren Ver (36)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
04/23/19     Canadian Ben (29)
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
04/??/19     PowerStache (43)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/31/19     Pylortes  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude   
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     Bateaux  (50)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/01/19     Freedomin5 (38)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
10/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
10/01/19     Linda_Norway
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer

OLY FIRE-ees:
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
Elaine amj (40)               OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/30/18

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1385 on: November 27, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
May as well make it official, I've OMY'ed out of the 2018 cohort.  Put me down with a target of 8/1/2019.

Welcome SugarMountain. We are an excellent cohort, good choice!

Welp, it's done.  Resignation letter submitted and last day is January 2!  Boss was not that surprised because loads of people are jumping ship (Megacorp takeover in progress), but did try to persuade me to stay.  That was nice, but I just said my mind was made up.  It was a nice conversation, and I thanked Boss for having hired me. 

I'll share with you all that I had an amazing dream last night.  In the dream I bought a new house, and I was walking through it exploring everything.  I opened a door and found a sunny room with a gorgeous garden growing in it, full of flowers.  It was one of the best dreams I've ever had.  I woke up so happy this morning.  I took that dream as a sign that was SO READY to turn in my notice.  And I was -- It went great and I'm content and full of peace.     I feel like that house in my dream is maybe a symbol for my life?  That my subconscious is telling me there are wonderful things ahead.  :) 

Double yah!  Love that dream.  Sometimes you just know the time is right!

LV

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1386 on: November 28, 2018, 05:41:40 AM »
Congrats @Trifele - That might be the first resignation letter of the 2019 cohorts!

I wish I worked for a place where I could actually tell them I'm leaving.  Instead of pushed to take a lateral role so I could transition employees and clients I care about.  My "job change" announcement happened on Monday and news is filtering out.  Formally I'm taking a lateral non-management role.   This relieves me of my fancy president title and I have five weeks to ween out of a job under the "taking a new role" message.   

I'll have 10.5 weeks before any vacation time and holidays in the "new" role to pretend I'm interested in that job

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1387 on: November 28, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
Congrats @Trifele - That might be the first resignation letter of the 2019 cohorts!

I wish I worked for a place where I could actually tell them I'm leaving.  Instead of pushed to take a lateral role so I could transition employees and clients I care about.  My "job change" announcement happened on Monday and news is filtering out.  Formally I'm taking a lateral non-management role.   This relieves me of my fancy president title and I have five weeks to ween out of a job under the "taking a new role" message.   

I'll have 10.5 weeks before any vacation time and holidays in the "new" role to pretend I'm interested in that job

That's not too bad of a transition plan all things considered. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1388 on: November 28, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
Congrats @Trifele - Note that you might get busy in FIRE and not have time/energy for cohort thread updates.  That happened to me :-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1389 on: November 28, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »
Ha ha @markbike528CBX !  If I get so busy post-FIRE that I don't check the thread anymore, I'm sure someone else will take up the baton.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1390 on: December 01, 2018, 06:16:01 AM »
Happy December everyone!!  Just a quick slide now into 2019 -- OUR YEAR!

Things got very interesting at work the last several days since I turned in my resignation.  Boss has made me an offer to stay on another three months.  I probably won't do it, but it is slightly tempting -- to pad the accounts just a bit more.   Nice to have the option -- I'll have to chew on it for a bit. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1391 on: December 01, 2018, 06:26:12 AM »
Don't fall into that trap Trifele

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1392 on: December 01, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »

Damn. I like the sound of that!

This stuff's about to get real, folks!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1393 on: December 01, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »

Damn. I like the sound of that!

This stuff's about to get real, folks!

Indeed!

On Friday we just got notice that our third level manager is going to change as we are being reorganized.  The middle managers will be announced Monday or Tuesday.  My group is safe.  Great news for my group!  I was hoping for a severance, but having everyone be safe is just too good a news. 

I really really liked my third level manager, so this is kind of a bummer.  The group also thinks we will be losing our first level manager too, but wont have that confirmed until next week.  He is really good.  Having these two manager change makes leaving much easier. 

LV

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1394 on: December 01, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »

Things got very interesting at work the last several days since I turned in my resignation.  Boss has made me an offer to stay on another three months.  I probably won't do it, but it is slightly tempting -- to pad the accounts just a bit more.   Nice to have the option -- I'll have to chew on it for a bit.

Haha, it's good to be in demand and have options. Choose wisely!

My dad had a TIA (a mini-stroke) recently, and that has added more cement to my plan to drop to PT in 2019 and coast along from there. November was financially a great month thankfully. Good to see so many here dashing to the finish!!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1395 on: December 01, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
On Friday we just got notice that our third level manager is going to change as we are being reorganized.  The middle managers will be announced Monday or Tuesday.  My group is safe.  Great news for my group!  I was hoping for a severance, but having everyone be safe is just too good a news. 

Interesting. My group is going through a reorg, too. We're waiting to find out whether we have to re-apply for our jobs (which we will if the roles change by a certain percentage). If that happens, I'll just quietly forget to apply for one of the new roles...then I'll miss the deadline...then I'll get to see if there's any severance.  The sheer entertainment value of it all!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1396 on: December 01, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
Earlier this year there was a lot of reorganizing in my company, but my department was safe. We are currently hiring lots of people, including some of the people who were to loose their job in a different part of the company.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1397 on: December 01, 2018, 03:09:57 PM »

Interesting. My group is going through a reorg, too. We're waiting to find out whether we have to re-apply for our jobs (which we will if the roles change by a certain percentage). If that happens, I'll just quietly forget to apply for one of the new roles...then I'll miss the deadline...then I'll get to see if there's any severance.  The sheer entertainment value of it all!

The sheer entertainment value of it all! Love that phrase! --- maybe worth a post in Mustachian People Problems :-) 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1398 on: December 01, 2018, 06:14:57 PM »

That would be incredible

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1399 on: December 03, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »

I just can't even with that process. Like something out of a movie!