Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 738159 times)

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2015, 04:53:02 AM »
My date is mid October, so I'm now celebrating that I have less that 3 years to go :D

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2015, 06:19:38 AM »
I'm in for 28 December 2018. Why? The next day  I turn 40! There are a couple of circumstances that could bring it in earlier, but barring some truly spectacular offer from work, there won't be much chance I'll hang in past that day. I should have a couple of months of leave saved up then too, which I'm going to try and take rather than pay out. That way I get three months extra health coverage and pension benefits.

We were born on the same day, same year :) My FIRE date shifts around based on my mood, but I'm definitely leaving before 40 as well.

FIBy30

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 01:40:15 PM »
Sign me up! Wife and I are set for a January 2018 departure!  Stoked to share goals and progress with you guys!

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »
12/31/18 is a possibility for us if things go according to plan and we decided to FIRE on the lower end of our desired monthly expenses.  Right now the expected SWR/monthly income at the end of the next few years is:

End of 2015: ~$900
End of 2016: ~$1900
End of 2017: ~$2715
End of 2018: ~$3425

If we pushed out one more year to 2019, we'd be between $4500-$5000 a month.  It may be tempting to do that one last year to allow us to travel more extensively, but it will surely be somewhere in that range.

backandforth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
We are, or more like I am, shooting for summer 2018, before either of us turn 40. My husband may work longer, he is sort of a workaholic but let's see. Like MMM said, that sh*t gets old :) We should have enough even without much downsizing by then, assuming no huge surprise in life between now and then and we don't pay for Ivy league for the kids. Our kids will still be still very young in 3 years so I can enjoy a few years of "mommy is awesome" before the teen years come :)

Never thought I would say this, but maybe I will enjoy being SAHM for a few years.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 05:19:54 AM »
In just 870 days I will be hiking the AT.  It's all I can think about most days.

Appalachian trail?

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 07:19:19 AM »
I am turning 60 and just found MMM this year.  My stretch goal is to retire in May, 2017.  My wife wants me to keep working until I'm 65
(fat chance).  I guess she thinks I'll be just flopping around the house getting underfoot. 

Realistically it is more likely I'll retire in mid-2018.   I just started a product development cycle at work.  I design medical ultrasound imaging systems.
Interesting work but the corporate BS and politics are getting to me.  It is scheduled for production release in mid-2018 so, that would be a great time for me to pull the plug.    I don't know if I can hang on that long and keep my sanity though.  I will be 62yo then.

I'll pencil in June 1, 2018 as my FIR date.  That way I can enjoy that summer!  : )
I know I'm probably an old fart on this forum but, I had always felt I'd have to work to >65yo before I could afford to retire.
The MMM blog and forums has given me inspiration!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
Albireo13, there are a few of us oldies. I'll be 60 when I retire.  I always thought I'd be working til 67. 7years less is good to me.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
Just did my year end accounting and I'm movin' to the 2017 cohort (might even be very late 2016)! See yall around the forum and Happy New Year everyone!

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2016, 02:25:10 AM »
All being well I'll be joining the 2017 cohorts, but I'm confident that FIRE will be achieved for sure in 2018.

Good luck to everyone and happy new year as well

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2016, 04:06:54 AM »
Thats great  news guys. My date is in October, so I really doubt I can go in 2017. That being said, I've just done my end of year figures and am 50-100k ahead of where I would be from projections in early 2013.  If I could repeat that, then yes I'd cut off a year or so. However  I'm not able to cut too much more from expenses and I'm making much more concrete projections  that are more accurate these days, so I'd be surprised if I end up ahead again.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
My plan is to stop working full-time 1 Jan 2018. If I hit my FIRE savings/investing goal I can stop working regularly. More likely given the crappy state of the markets I will need to work part-time regularly until my investments get to my goal on their own.

I'm not sure what part-time will look like. I'd like to shoot for 3-4 months off in 2018 and work towards ~6 months off a year. Figuring out how I'll manage this part-time work is one of my goals for the next couple years.

Not sure if this plan gets me into the 2018 cohort or not?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
Why don't you start a 2018 semi-FIRE cohort thread? :)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2016, 07:07:02 PM »

It could be lonely. ;)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 03:47:18 AM »
I reckon you can go in any cohort you nominate.  If you are working part -time intermittently you can define yourself as retired if you want.  MMM and Exflyboy have.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
My firm date is the day before my 50th birthday, in December 2018. My husband will do another 4 years after that, only because he could pick up a federal worker retirement then. I'd like to go today, but it will be good to be really prepared. Good luck everyone!

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
I just reviewed my numbers and I'm set for June 2018.  I will be FI shortly before June this year, then I will spend the next two years adding some safety margin.  After I FIRE, I want to spend more time training for climbing.  My goal is to climb El Capitan no later than two years after I fire.  I am very excited to be part of the class of 2018!

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2016, 04:03:15 AM »
With the US market having gone basically nowhere for the last year and a half, are any of you getting concerned about making your projected FIRE date?  I re-ran my cFiresim numbers about a month ago, and everything still seemed to be o.k. at that time.  I haven't checked since the recent decline; I figure it's not healthy to obsess about it constantly (yet I'm writing this post!).  I guess a lot depends on whether we end up in a full-fledged bear market, or if things turn and go back up from here.  Just before FIRE is the second-worst time for a bear market (just after being the worst time, of course).  Oh well, there isn't much we can do about it but stick to our asset allocation and keep saving as long as the salary is still coming. 

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
I guess a lot depends on whether we end up in a full-fledged bear market, or if things turn and go back up from here.  Just before FIRE is the second-worst time for a bear market (just after being the worst time, of course).

We've still got almost two full years before 2018 even commences.  A hopeful 2018 retiree could hardly ask for a better market trajectory right now than a full-fledged bear market of average duration, which would end just in time to coincide with the transition out of the accumulation phase.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2016, 09:44:43 AM »
My plan is to stop working full-time 1 Jan 2018. If I hit my FIRE savings/investing goal I can stop working regularly. More likely given the crappy state of the markets I will need to work part-time regularly until my investments get to my goal on their own.

I'm not sure what part-time will look like. I'd like to shoot for 3-4 months off in 2018 and work towards ~6 months off a year. Figuring out how I'll manage this part-time work is one of my goals for the next couple years.

It absolutely does! Because you rock!

I get so excited seeing people's awesome plans.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »

There are no retirement police here, we're cool.

It absolutely does! Because you rock!
I get so excited seeing people's awesome plans.
Me too.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
I am also very happy that stocks are now at a great discount.  The current market fluctuation does not change my FIRE date, but it is very likely to improve my lifestyle after FIRE.  One way or the other, the current fluctuation is perfectly within the expected range and my plans already took that possibility into account.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
The market is doing exactly what I want it to right now!  With 758 days until FIRE and the start of my AT hike its starting to get real.  Where am I now financially?   100k below last years max but ahead of last year's start.  Pouring every available dime into the market now.  There is an extreme level of confidence when the market takes a huge loss and you are still worth well over a million dollars.  FIre-Calc says I could retire today and still have 100 percent chance of not out living the planned withdrawal. I'm watching this election and how things shake out over the next two years before leaving behind a 6 figure income.  I'm in a job with 1/2 the stress of the one I had a year ago.  So I can go beyond 2018 if needed but I'm ready to play.  Get here guys.     

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2016, 04:02:03 AM »
I guess a lot depends on whether we end up in a full-fledged bear market, or if things turn and go back up from here.  Just before FIRE is the second-worst time for a bear market (just after being the worst time, of course).

We've still got almost two full years before 2018 even commences.  A hopeful 2018 retiree could hardly ask for a better market trajectory right now than a full-fledged bear market of average duration, which would end just in time to coincide with the transition out of the accumulation phase.

That all depends on how big your stash is going into the bear market and how deep the decline is.  If you've still got enough to FIRE on when the bear market ends, then yes, that is a great situation.  If not, FIRE is going to have to wait.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:01 AM »
I have been running the numbers a lot this week and getting to grips with the complex tax and other statutory deductions here in Ireland. Long story short, we will be able to retire ( a little early) in 2018 at ages 58 & 55 respectively. Our expenses will drop as the home mortgage dies, the rental house will be sold and our youngest will have finished or nearly finished Masters degree (about €10k per annum costs). Deducting all of those expenses, plus selling one car and destroying the associated expenses(insurance, diesel, tyres, tax), we will be in a better NET position monthly than we are now and we are luckily very comfortable. We will also have about €200k cash from retirement lump sums and savings to pad this out. Our pensions are public service so not dependent on the stock market. The only concern is sacrificing a few years of great saving before retirement but I think we want to do things when we are youngish enough to enjoy rather than retire a few years later, knackered from sedentary lifestyles but with a few more thousand in the bank. I am super excited about this. I don't want to tempt fate but....Roll on 2018!!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:13 AM »
Happy the market is correcting now:) The last thing I wanted  was more overvaluing in the next 2 years, then a correction.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2016, 03:28:13 AM »
The market won't have any impact on my decision since I've got a government pension that kicks in when I retire in July 2018.  The plan is to live on that and use a 4% withdrawal (via Roth 5 year conversion ladder) for extra "fun" money.  Plus I will most likely find a part time job or start turning my photography hobby into more of a business.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »

It could be lonely. ;)
No, I'm planning to semi-retire in 2018 also.  I could totally retire if I wanted, but where's the fun in that?  As many have pointed out, the goal is less to avoid working altogether, and more to avoid working on someone else's projects, following their timetables, just because I need money.

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and target 6/1/18. My FIRE will include relocation to a warmer climate and this date will coincide with a child finishing elementary school. I'm thinking of taking 6-12 months completely off to focus on the move, setting up a new life in a new area and deciding what interests me.  After that point I'll reassess whether I'd like to get a job in retirement on my terms- part time or seasonal only to keep me somewhat busy and bring in a little income.  But maybe not! I'll be in my very early 40's so I should have plenty of options to choose which route I want to go.

A couple things I want to do: learn to cook, get in tip top physical shape and build in daily excercise, expand (or create a social network since I'll be in a new location), set up a salt water aquarium, pick a few volunteer activities, coach youth sports (and possibly referee HS/college sports), travel, help my kids with school/homework.  But probably not all at once!

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2016, 11:30:31 PM »
Pylortes,
this sounds like a really amazing plan.  Welcome to the class of 2018!

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2016, 10:54:36 AM »
Thanks- by the way I read your recent rock climbing retirement spots thread- not necessarily my thing but I do love hiking so I  see the appeal, that sounds likes a great way to spend your time after hanging it up!  Have you narrowed down your possible re-location spots any further yet?

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2016, 11:45:51 PM »
I will almost certainly end up in Las Vegas.  It's very affordable, flights there are ridiculously cheap and Red Rocks has enough routes to keep someone busy for a lifetime.  I will be doing a climbing trip there in a month to see if it's as good as the guidebooks suggest.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »
I am planning to retire 10/1/18, but may go anywhere between 7/1/18 and 12/31/18.  After a long day of hard work (like today), it is hard to imagine anything more lovely than waking up after the sun has risen and drinking coffee on the back porch. 

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »
I'm signing up for 2018, though I think my actual FIRE date could be anywhere between the end of 2017 and sometime in 2019. Mainly depends on if we have a kid and what we decide to do after that happens.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »
I'm signing up for 2018, though I think my actual FIRE date could be anywhere between the end of 2017 and sometime in 2019. Mainly depends on if we have a kid and what we decide to do after that happens.

On behalf of the class, I hereby, heretofore, coincidently, and without contingency or recourse accept your application. Welcome to FIRE 101. Don't burn yourself rocklebock.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »

It could be lonely. ;)

No, I think I would like that thread.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2016, 11:00:04 PM »
Part of the challenge of a proximate FIRE date is to successfully transition into the life I imagine I want to live.  I hope that FIRE includes a return to more physical activity and more outdoor time. I would also like to be greener.  So after lots of thought and consideration, I ordered an eBIKE today. 

http://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radwagon

This one will allow trips to the grocery store, library, carrying of photo equipment and general transport around the town.  I am going to commit to routine commuting to work and see how much I can eliminate use of a car. This makes me very happy, makes me feel a little closer to the life I want to be living now and in retirement.  -Ap

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »

Given how little action this thread sees I'd say it's fine to post 2018 semi-FIRE content here.

I'm busily saving away with a 1 Jan 2018 target date to transition to a serious downshift. It's possible I could FIRE fully by then if the markets were to cooperate, but so far that's not looking like it's going to happen.

So most likely I'll get close to FIRE and free up spare time by downshifting while not drawing down my investments. I'll just re-invest dividends and let them grow until they reach my FIRE target on their own.

It's not as clear cut or "beautiful" a plan as other folks have, but I came at this later in life so ensuring I get lots of free time while my health is strong is more important than getting to FIRE as fast as possible.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
duplicate, sorry
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:34:07 AM by EnjoyIt »

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »

It could be lonely. ;)

I'm signing up for semi-FIRE for Fall of 2018.  I hope over the next 2.5 years this thread keeps popping up.  I will kick off my semi-FIRE with a 3 week international vacation.  Most of it will be on miles.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:31:47 AM by EnjoyIt »

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »

On behalf of the class, I hereby, heretofore, coincidently, and without contingency or recourse accept your application. Welcome to FIRE 101. Don't burn yourself rocklebock.

Thanks Cheddar Stacker!

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »

It could be lonely. ;)

Lots of us would.  I have actually moved up my quit date for my day job by a year, to March of 2017.  So I guess I don't technically fit into this thread any more either, but I'm not going to really be retired OR fully FI in 2017, so I still kinda do....

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
My original 10 year plan, when I was 25 and was in debt, was to FIRE at 35 - meaning 2017 in the summer. But I wanted a $1 M back then, so I adjusted it to 2018 summer using some projections. I am thinking of pulling the trigger earlier now though.

I should be FI (pay for all my expenses, but NOT living in Silicon valley, with 4% rule) in the next 6-12 months. I don't think I will be able to stick out my job when I'm FI for very long. Even now, with a pretty big stash for a single guy (~500K), I have zero motivation at my current gig and slogging it to work every day is killing my soul.

Welp, turns out I was right. I can't make it another 2 years doing this. Morning meetings, night meetings, etc. I just had a day with meetings from 8am to midnight pretty much solid. So, I'm pulling the plug early. Sorry to abandon the super-awesome 2018 FIRE cohort. I'm more semi-REing in a few months and just relaxing to see how I like it. I will likely do some work in the next couple of years. Hopefully I can still be an honorary 2018 member :P

Good luck folks!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »
Welp, turns out I was right. I can't make it another 2 years doing this. Morning meetings, night meetings, etc. I just had a day with meetings from 8am to midnight pretty much solid. So, I'm pulling the plug early. Sorry to abandon the super-awesome 2018 FIRE cohort. I'm more semi-REing in a few months and just relaxing to see how I like it. I will likely do some work in the next couple of years. Hopefully I can still be an honorary 2018 member :P

Good luck folks!

Congrats! One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is the freedom to stop a shitty situation and re-group. Having saved strongly for FIRE you have that flexibility and freedom even if your FIRE is not fully funded.

Take it easy and find some work that doesn't suck. :)

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2016, 12:11:44 PM »
I have a question for the 2018 cohort...

Has the lack of returns in the stock market impacted your plans to FIRE in 2018?

Me:  At first, I was really optimistic that we would be able to reach our number by the end of 2017 to FIRE early 2018.  Now, given that for the last year and a half or so, our investments have not increased in value beyond what we have deposited, I am worried that we won't get there.  I am thinking I might have to downshift but not completely FIRE :(

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
I actually think the opposite. If the market stays flat or goes down a bit for a couple of years it de-risks that there will be a big drop right after you pull the RE trigger.

That said, markets can do crazy things.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
I actually think the opposite. If the market stays flat or goes down a bit for a couple of years it de-risks that there will be a big drop right after you pull the RE trigger.

That said, markets can do crazy things.
I guess my concern is more that we were counting on growth from both contributions and returns.  We have only had growth from contributions which leaves us about $25k short of where we wanted to be. In terms of stability going forward, I agree with your assessment.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2016, 01:23:54 PM »

Has the lack of returns in the stock market impacted your plans to FIRE in 2018?

Me:  At first, I was really optimistic that we would be able to reach our number by the end of 2017 to FIRE early 2018.  Now, given that for the last year and a half or so, our investments have not increased in value beyond what we have deposited, I am worried that we won't get there.  I am thinking I might have to downshift but not completely FIRE :(

Right now I think it would have to get really, really bad - like 2008 bad - for me to change my plans significantly. But I already plan on working some after FIRE anyway.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »

I was very conservative in my projections - planned on basically zero returns between now and 2018.  So no change for me.  Some healthy market growth in the near future might cause me to accelerate to 2017 but if we keep on treading water for the next year or 2, I'm still on target for April 1, 2018.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »

I need some decent returns to hit full FIRE, but I plan to downshift in 2018 and although I wouldn't say that's totally independent of market performance [a 50% crash would see me work FT a bit longer to have extra cash to invest] it doesn't require me to hit a specific number.