Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 738130 times)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1800 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
Dear 2018 Cohort,

For those of who have already FIRE'ed and those who are going to FIRE soon, I highly recommend that you read the following thread and an article by Dr. Doom

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/difficult-fire-decompressiontransition-anyone/

https://livingafi.com/2015/11/06/done-detoxing/

I am nearing the 6 full months of FIRE and there is a lot of truth in the posts and especially Dr. Doom's article.

Thanks for posting this. The afi link is totally apt to what I'm going through right now. I've been toying with going back to work, and the post was spot on to the underlying reasons why.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1801 on: July 21, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
    Is adding 2% to your stash worth 8 more months at megacorp? We are FI now but another bonus and LTI vesting would be nice. KInda thinking of it, kinda just thinking of turning in my notice ASAP and just retiring.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1802 on: July 21, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
We've been retired a bit over 2 1/2 months. 

The first month was really rough, we both caught some kind of crud that lasted for a month.

2nd month was better, but we were still physically, emotionally and intellectually worn out.

3rd month, we've started feeling more energetic.   I think it will take a few more to completely destress and heal, but every day it's better than better!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1803 on: July 21, 2018, 06:21:19 PM »
    Is adding 2% to your stash worth 8 more months at megacorp? We are FI now but another bonus and LTI vesting would be nice. KInda thinking of it, kinda just thinking of turning in my notice ASAP and just retiring.

I'm making almost this exact decision, except it's closer to 5%of stash for me, and 7 months max. I'm really torn.  Even torn on how to go about deciding.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1804 on: July 21, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »

I'm making almost this exact decision, except it's closer to 5%of stash for me, and 7 months max. I'm really torn.  Even torn on how to go about deciding.

Once you reach "enough" what is $1 more really worth?

There will always be something else you can spend money on if you go get more of it, no matter how much you get.  The key isn't in finally getting enough money to cover desires, the key is recognizing that your desires will never be truly satisfied, and you need to find your "enough" amount and then stick with it.

Lots of people want to keep working because they think they need more money to be happy.  They don't realize that work is what is keeping them from being happy.

You assets, your investments, you house, your possessions, they're all fleeting and temporary.  You don't really own them, not forever, you're just caretaking them until passing them on to someone else, or you're consuming/destroying them so that nobody else can have them.  We don't really ever own anything, except own own choices.  Those define what kind of person you are.  Not what kind of car you drive.

How much money do you need to make the kinds of choices that will make you the kind of person you really want to be?  Is seven more months in your job going to let you make the kinds of choices that will make you the kind of person you really want to be?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1805 on: July 21, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »

I'm living this decision right now, and @sol is right in everything he says!  The numbers are overwhelmingly more in my situation (about an 8% increase for just under eight months) and I still question if I'm doing the right thing.  The only other two things I'll add is around half of that comes in after-tax dollars and I've been hitting the retirement accounts so hard liquidity is a bit tighter than I'd like. 

The other consideration is the morality of taking the 12 weeks allowed in leave in late December then just not coming back, it would still get me through that vesting schedule.  Alternatively I could front-load "vacation" before my notice and just have it netted out of the last check.

Coming at peace with not "fixing" everything I see wrong at the company helps.  I've made the conscious choice not to place the 2-5 year political and life game to get promoted to the next level where I can further influence change.  I'd prefer it just got fixed, but I can accept what I can't control.  I get to come in and hang out and lead good people ever day.  The steps in my exit start picking up pace come September as well.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1806 on: July 22, 2018, 03:47:05 AM »
My resignation letter has gone in and has been accepted. I finish on 31/10/18.

I've been asked to do Just One More Month, and I've declined because I know if I agreed my current colleagues would stop looking for other solutions, and they need to look for other solutions.

I'm not particularly happy about the manner and timing of my departure, but logically I know that if you hear a speeding train the first thing you should do is get off the tracks unless you're suicidal or a martyr, and I'm neither. And I'm very much looking forward to not having to do quite a long list of specific things any more.

I intend to be an exemplary colleague until the minute I walk out the door for the last time.

Great News TT,
You can do 3 more months standing on your head.  Now it is time to prioritize.  Dump all your non productive busy-work projects, don't accept anything that wont be complete before Oct 31 and you will be twice as productive and twice as happy!!

Thanks, honeyfill :-) Good advice! It's not that sort of job, I still have to Do All The Things (frontline healthcare, senior role involving making sure All The Things get done, potential serious consequences if anything is missed) and have almost no control over how many Things I have to do each day, and my remaining colleagues could pull all sorts of stunts to make things more difficult for me. I have a strong suspicion that I'll be working very short-handed and very long hours for at least my final two months.

But I'm leaving. I'm actually leaving. I'm going to have an opportunity to find out whether I genuinely want to do all the things I'm always saying I'd love to do if work didn't get in the way. This is most exciting.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1807 on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:03 AM »

I'm living this decision right now, and @sol is right in everything he says!  The numbers are overwhelmingly more in my situation (about an 8% increase for just under eight months) and I still question if I'm doing the right thing.  The only other two things I'll add is around half of that comes in after-tax dollars and I've been hitting the retirement accounts so hard liquidity is a bit tighter than I'd like. 

The other consideration is the morality of taking the 12 weeks allowed in leave in late December then just not coming back, it would still get me through that vesting schedule.  Alternatively I could front-load "vacation" before my notice and just have it netted out of the last check.

Coming at peace with not "fixing" everything I see wrong at the company helps.  I've made the conscious choice not to place the 2-5 year political and life game to get promoted to the next level where I can further influence change.  I'd prefer it just got fixed, but I can accept what I can't control.  I get to come in and hang out and lead good people ever day.  The steps in my exit start picking up pace come September as well.

All of this. It's a lot of money & would give us additional travel flexibility in some of the gap years while my husband is still working. (I plan to either full on retire or quit my "career" & do something enjoyable & part time, but my husband will continue to work). I also would be more flexible in helping my family (parents, sister) with a little extra money. Cover the cost of vacations, etc. They all work super hard & are amazing to us, but don't have much money. That's an extra incentive as well. But, to Sol's point, I can always generate a list like this so where does it end?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1808 on: July 22, 2018, 08:16:44 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache I don't think it ever "ends", but the required reward to stay increases exponentially.

My wife asked me "What if they try to convince you to stay, how much would it take?"  My response for March of this coming year would be a $500,000 retention bonus, paid out monthly over 12 months.  Your number will just price out your employer at some point.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1809 on: July 22, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache I don't think it ever "ends", but the required reward to stay increases exponentially.

My wife asked me "What if they try to convince you to stay, how much would it take?"  My response for March of this coming year would be a $500,000 retention bonus, paid out monthly over 12 months.  Your number will just price out your employer at some point.

My employer offered me (potentially, was just a conversation) flexibility & part-time, which would be way more valuable to me than money at this point. My manager knows me well enough that she knew not to try & throw money in as the solution

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1810 on: July 22, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »

My employer offered me (potentially, was just a conversation) flexibility & part-time, which would be way more valuable to me than money at this point. My manager knows me well enough that she knew not to try & throw money in as the solution

I unfortunately don't have that option.  There are almost no part-time jobs at the company and there's also a level of arrogance in upper management that looks down on people "stepping back" but collecting out all of their equity/deferred comp.   I looked at one of the "remote" positions, but didn't go down that path after I saw how a peer was treated.

I agree that something like a three day a week schedule would be far more appealing to me at this point.  The incremental savings are immaterial

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1811 on: July 22, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »
@chasesfish - there are zero part time roles in my company, and certainly not for senior people. People at my level are typically managing large teams & P&L. So, I'll be fascinated to see if this offer (it was a discussion in our initial conversation) is a possibility. In reasons why it may happen, I'm a senior woman in an area of the company where that's super rare, and have a long tenure in a skill set very few people have. They may prefer to keep me in a part time role for either optics for awhile, or because even a part time contribution will help bridge the gap until they can bring in other senior people who are ramped (likely a 2 year process from beginning to full ramp).

I go back & forth as to whether it would be easier or harder to do part time in my current role. Could I really step back & handle both the differences in how I'm treated, and my own contribution? I'd need a pretty rigid schedule (e.g. have to leave at noon in order to handle childcare, etc) to force my own hand in not turning into working a full time schedule again. We'll see how things end up.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1812 on: July 22, 2018, 01:08:44 PM »
    @sol

There will always be something else you can spend money on if you go get more of it, no matter how much you get.  The key isn't in finally getting enough money to cover desires, the key is recognizing that your desires will never be truly satisfied, and you need to find your "enough" amount and then stick with it.

Lots of people want to keep working because they think they need more money to be happy.  They don't realize that work is what is keeping them from being happy.

You assets, your investments, you house, your possessions, they're all fleeting and temporary.  You don't really own them, not forever, you're just caretaking them until passing them on to someone else, or you're consuming/destroying them so that nobody else can have them.  We don't really ever own anything, except own own choices.  Those define what kind of person you are.  Not what kind of car you drive.

How much money do you need to make the kinds of choices that will make you the kind of person you really want to be?  Is seven more months in your job going to let you make the kinds of choices that will make you the kind of person you really want to be?

Thank you. I need no more money. I have all that I could ever desire as far as things. I have a mental hang up from my youth of "You must work". Parents grew up in the great depression and my 50 year old brain is having a tough time just walking out the door on a job that I actually like most days. (but not everyday). The fact that I am really free is a bit of a stunner to my head and given that I am FI I really need to get the RE part together. That said, life is very short indeed. It is much less the % of stash than what is going on inside my head. That is where the real battle is taking place. Only I can fight the fears, uncertainty, doubts, etc and thus far have a bit of trench warfare going on.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1813 on: July 22, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
Parents grew up in the great depression and my 50 year old brain is having a tough time just walking out the door on a job that I actually like most days. (but not everyday). The fact that I am really free is a bit of a stunner to my head and given that I am FI I really need to get the RE part together. That said, life is very short indeed. It is much less the % of stash than what is going on inside my head. That is where the real battle is taking place. Only I can fight the fears, uncertainty, doubts, etc and thus far have a bit of trench warfare going on.

Same. I've been working since I was twelve when I started mowing lawns and got a paper route.  Even though I've been thinking about ER for years now, that I'm on the cusp, I'm finding it to be a big cliff and it's easy to come up with reasons not to just yet.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1814 on: July 23, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »

A couple of good friends were making fun of me/my plan the other day.  The discussion of "what will you do if you retire" came up again, and I mentioned that we might do part-time work here or there, if we feel like it.  They were talking about how that made no sense - fewer hours, big gap in your resume, likely less pay per hour - you'll earn so much less money.  Stupid plan.  You'd make so much more by just continuing to work.

Maybe true, but I'm not sure they get the point of the 'FI' part of 'FIRE.'

Richmond 2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1815 on: July 23, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »
Truly inspiring reading all these stories of people approaching their respective finish lines.

I am currently in the 2020 cohort with a 31 December 2020 finish line to coincide when the end of my current role. Seriously considering shortening the length of my race and crossing the line in December this year, or in January 2019. I’ve already cut back to 4 days a week but still suffering from the mental tourture if turning up to work.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1816 on: July 23, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Had my meeting with my manager today & advised her that I planned to leave the company. She was lovely & offered me a variety of other options (none of which are typically available). Including: part time, a sabbatical, 80%, a reduced scope, etc. It was a great chat & we both agreed that we would take time to think about what comes next & any possible options that would make sense. I've discovered that I can take a sabbatical of up to 8 weeks (unpaid), but my stock would continue to vest. My options are worth about $10k/month, so this would be huge. I'll continue to work with her on a plan that will either result in: a sabbatical followed by part time work, a sabbatical followed by me quitting, or a longer transition plan followed by a sabbatical. I have a great manager, and am very happy to have the conversation done so we can now be transparent about future plans.

I got the sabbatical details today, and it's 30 days (unpaid) with my stock continuing to vest, and full medical. Then another 60 days (unpaid), with no stock vest but full medical. Either way, I will definitely pursue a sabbatical before I either switch to part time or leave. Such a great discovery & feel so happy my manager was supportive.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1817 on: July 24, 2018, 01:05:11 AM »
Had my meeting with my manager today & advised her that I planned to leave the company. She was lovely & offered me a variety of other options (none of which are typically available). Including: part time, a sabbatical, 80%, a reduced scope, etc. It was a great chat & we both agreed that we would take time to think about what comes next & any possible options that would make sense. I've discovered that I can take a sabbatical of up to 8 weeks (unpaid), but my stock would continue to vest. My options are worth about $10k/month, so this would be huge. I'll continue to work with her on a plan that will either result in: a sabbatical followed by part time work, a sabbatical followed by me quitting, or a longer transition plan followed by a sabbatical. I have a great manager, and am very happy to have the conversation done so we can now be transparent about future plans.

I got the sabbatical details today, and it's 30 days (unpaid) with my stock continuing to vest, and full medical. Then another 60 days (unpaid), with no stock vest but full medical. Either way, I will definitely pursue a sabbatical before I either switch to part time or leave. Such a great discovery & feel so happy my manager was supportive.
Wow, what a nice surprise!

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1818 on: July 24, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
  Good for you! I am hoping I can sneak a deal like that or better yet, a package!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1819 on: July 24, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »
I have 13 work days left.  Shit's getting real.

13 morning commutes.  13 lunch breaks.  3 biweekly time cards to fill out.  2 weekly project review meetings, one of which I intend to cancel.  Zero regrets.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1820 on: July 24, 2018, 07:09:38 PM »

13 morning commutes.  13 lunch breaks.  3 biweekly time cards to fill out.  2 weekly project review meetings, one of which I intend to cancel.  Zero regrets.

Whoa!  Congrats @sol !  I happy for you!!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1821 on: July 24, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »

I can't imagine the feeling.  If it was me that close I would likely have excitement with a bit of fear.

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #1822 on: July 26, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
1 week to go.

32 years of work and 22 years at this company. 

1 week to go.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1823 on: July 26, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
1 week to go.

1 week to go.

CRAZY! 22 years at the same company. Wow! I spent 15 years at a company (and now, 5 at another) & think that's a long time. So close! How are you feeling about all of the upcoming changes?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1824 on: July 26, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »
1 week to go.

1 week to go.

Ignore the countdown, ignore the pucker factor, have a beer (or your relaxing beverage of choice).
same to @sol .

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1825 on: July 26, 2018, 07:36:57 PM »

I can't imagine the feeling.  If it was me that close I would likely have excitement with a bit of fear.

I guess that's where the OMY syndrome from 2017 worked for us.  By the time the extra year was over, we were just damned ready.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1826 on: July 27, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »

Whoa!  Congrats @sol !  I happy for you!!
Congrats from me as well.  We've had agreements and debates, but my wife and I are happy for your successful realization of your life plans.

For those debating how it feels, we are hiking every other day with a local group, health improving every week, have taken one international bucket list trip, spent extra time helping and visiting with our aging parents, visited multiple cultural and music festivals, are traveling to visit college friends next week and will stop at another friends cabin in Denver on the way back, because they offered and we have the time (plus a SWA companion pass...so flights have been free...see that thread).  Take the plunge.

Also, we are spending much less than we planned, we havent even spent the cash we set aside for living this year, much less our investments.  No commute cost, cooking 95%+ of our own meals, ....and happy hour deals when we do go out.  Planning to ditch a car.  Retirement with a low consumption lifestyle rocks, is healthy, reduces our carbon footprint, etc.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:24:45 AM by PizzaSteve »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1827 on: July 27, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
Also, we are spending much less than we planned, we havent even spent the cash we set aside for living this year, much less our investments.  No commute cost, cooking 95%+ of our own meals, ....and happy hour deals when we do go out.  Planning to ditch a car.  Retirement with a low consumption lifestyle rocks, is healthy, reduces our carbon footprint, etc.

I want to be like PizzaSteve when I grow up.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1828 on: July 27, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »

I don't want to grow up.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1829 on: July 27, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »

@PhilB ans @sol.  I want to be you guys, so were even....

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #1830 on: July 27, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »
1 week to go.

1 week to go.

CRAZY! 22 years at the same company. Wow! I spent 15 years at a company (and now, 5 at another) & think that's a long time. So close! How are you feeling about all of the upcoming changes?

It's been overwhelming.  I'm walking away from a shit-hot salary, fun people and easy work, but the place is getting me down.  The company's turned in a direction that I don't like and can't  get up the motivation to continue in a professional way.  I manoeuvred myself into a redundancy package that isn't life changing but is a bloody nice cherry on top of what I have squirrelled away.  If not for this opportunity, I seriously doubt I would have had the courage to just resign - I've been OMYing for a while.

However, deep down I know that staying just for the sake of the money is the weak option - more personal growth awaits from taking the plunge.  So I'm going through with it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1831 on: July 27, 2018, 09:43:14 PM »
Hooray for the whole lot of you!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1832 on: July 27, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »
However, deep down I know that staying just for the sake of the money is the weak option - more personal growth awaits from taking the plunge.  So I'm going through with it.

I'm almost there, and have been having this exact same thought.  I could stay at my acceptably tolerable job.  It's a predictable pathway, with work I know I can do in exchange for very predictable amounts of money.

But I've been doing it for a decade now, and the idea of another decade (or two!) in the same beige cubicle, staring at the same screens day after day, just feels like capitulation.  Like accepting defeat.  Like admitting that my life will never amount to anything better than this very moment, and it's all down hill from here on. 

In a way, that makes NOT quitting my job a far scarier prospect than quitting it and plunging into early retirement.  Life is short and the world is big, and there are a thousand opportunities out there just waiting for you, opportunities that you will miss if you take the predictable and safe pathway of "more of the same". 

So the potential downside of staying is clear to me.  And what's the potential upside?  My current job has already made me rich enough, and having two or three time as much money as I do right now isn't really going to change very much about my life, so why would I give away the entire remaining portion of my life for more of the same? 

It does hurt a little bit, to think about the hundreds of dollars per work day that I'll be leaving behind.   But everyone has a price, and I think I've finally reached the point where getting my life back is worth more than more money.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1833 on: July 28, 2018, 01:14:16 AM »
It does hurt a little bit, to think about the hundreds of dollars per work day that I'll be leaving behind.   But everyone has a price, and I think I've finally reached the point where getting my life back is worth more than more money.
Amen to that.  I'm currently on the last ever holiday where I will have to work right up to my departure date and have to frantically pack before leaving.  I do NOT want to do that ever again.  Nor do I ever again want to give up half a day of my holiday whilst away to deal with a work crisis.  Extra money that I probably won't spend anyway doesn't make up for stress and lost time when I could be out in the hills.
On a brighter note, yesterday was a pretty perfect day, swimming in waterfalls in Swaledale with my wife and kids.  I want more days like that, not sitting in front of a computer.  The fact my stash hit a new all time high was a definite bonus!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1834 on: July 28, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »

Congrats, especially to someone who's been posting around here longer than I have.  So close!

Nickel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1835 on: July 28, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »

That wisdom carries a punch Sol.  Reminds me of when I began reading the MMM blog and was nodding along with each relentless epiphany. 

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1836 on: July 28, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »
True enough.  Its not all roses though.  Facing oneself and asking how do you want to spend this precious time is a tough ask.  You have the time for all the self improvement you promised yourself.  Mindfullness meditation?  No excuses anymore, get on it and be a better human.  Impatient on the roads?  Why are you really in a hurry?  You have time now....then you have to face that the impatience is within yourself and not in the schedule you needed to keep for work.

It is healthy, but also a challenge.  As Sol points out, a good one.  Moving on to improve oneself instead of focusing on the hamster wheel is what we are signing up for, but happy especially for the parents with kids to mentor too.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1837 on: July 29, 2018, 06:47:43 PM »

That wisdom carries a punch Sol.  Reminds me of when I began reading the MMM blog and was nodding along with each relentless epiphany.

I think one of the things that happens is saving enough to fire has a lot of delayed gratification, i.e, "I won't buy this because I want the money to go towards early retirement." But then when you get there, it's difficult to turn off the delay cycle, "well, if I work for one more week/month/year, I can do x, y, or z."

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1838 on: July 29, 2018, 10:16:24 PM »

Sol,
I have been thinking about this line for several days because on the face of it, it holds 100% accuracy.  $1 more than what you need is useless.  But, how much does one need?  Sure ~4% of expenses is what we try to do around here and this is not a discussion of SWR because it has been discussed ad nauseam.  But what is enough is a much better question?  How do we know that 5,10, 20 years from now we won't need or want more?  Personally I have struggled with "enough" because I am not 100% sure what that is.  It gets even harder predicting enough when we consider what that will be 20 years from now on top of the extra free time we will have once retired.  This is just one more reason for us to go part time and get a our toes wet before we dive right in. 

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1839 on: July 30, 2018, 05:04:43 AM »

Sol,
I have been thinking about this line for several days because on the face of it, it holds 100% accuracy.  $1 more than what you need is useless.  But, how much does one need?  Sure ~4% of expenses is what we try to do around here and this is not a discussion of SWR because it has been discussed ad nauseam.  But what is enough is a much better question?  How do we know that 5,10, 20 years from now we won't need or want more?  Personally I have struggled with "enough" because I am not 100% sure what that is.  It gets even harder predicting enough when we consider what that will be 20 years from now on top of the extra free time we will have once retired.  This is just one more reason for us to go part time and get a our toes wet before we dive right in.

Hopefully Sol will excuse me for butting into the conversation here.  You are correct that defining "enough" is a difficult and highly personal decision.  Most of us spent a lot of time and effort to come up with that number.  Given the impossibility of predicting the future, there is nothing wrong with two people in the same situation coming up with a different answer.  But once you have put in that effort and developed a number with which you are comfortable, moving the goal posts becomes problematic.  Sure, we are all allowed to change our minds in the face of new evidence, but if you reach your number, and without the benefit of substantial new evidence you suddenly decide that number is no longer adequate, you're just giving in to irrational fear.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1840 on: July 30, 2018, 07:22:16 AM »

Holy shit!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1841 on: July 31, 2018, 08:25:18 AM »

Sol,

Hopefully Sol will excuse me for butting into the conversation here.  You are correct that defining "enough" is a difficult and highly personal decision.  Most of us spent a lot of time and effort to come up with that number.  Given the impossibility of predicting the future, there is nothing wrong with two people in the same situation coming up with a different answer.  But once you have put in that effort and developed a number with which you are comfortable, moving the goal posts becomes problematic.  Sure, we are all allowed to change our minds in the face of new evidence, but if you reach your number, and without the benefit of substantial new evidence you suddenly decide that number is no longer adequate, you're just giving in to irrational fear.

That's the problem. For us I am not yet sure what enough really is. Work clothes are scrubs and practically free. Also they feed both of us at work which means our food costs will go up a little once retired. Our commute to work is about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. Therefor car expenses won't go down that much. But, with the added free time we will travel a bit more which will increase expenses. We are also looking to take some classes that are not free.  This is one of the reason why we will go part time at the end of this year. It will allow us to see what we will do with the extra free time and how our expenses will change.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:27:26 AM by EnjoyIt »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1842 on: July 31, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »
2018 Cohort: I am joining you! 

I've decided between being pretty miserable at my job, having enough to do 3.25% WR and wanting to do more work on the mid-term elections, the time is right.  I plan to give notice next week and be gone by August 20+/-.  With my departure now being so sudden (and not to mention that I will be "working" full-time on the elections), it feels a lot less like "retirement" and more like I'm just quitting this particular job.  Not that I am calling in the Retirement Police to adjudicate!  It just feels....different....than the deliberative process I had planned leading up to my February 2019 departure.  But, I still think it will maximize my happiness to leave ASAP, so I'm very excited.  The only reason I am not giving notice immediately is that I'm working remotely this week (and taking a long weekend this weekend) and I'd rather talk to them in person.

Ok, now to figure out what little things I need to get taken care of in the next 2-3 weeks that I thought I had 6 more months to figure out!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1843 on: July 31, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »

I've decided between being pretty miserable at my job, having enough to do 3.25% WR and wanting to do more work on the mid-term elections, the time is right.  I plan to give notice next week and be gone by August 20+/-.  With my departure now being so sudden (and not to mention that I will be "working" full-time on the elections), it feels a lot less like "retirement" and more like I'm just quitting this particular job.  Not that I am calling in the Retirement Police to adjudicate!  It just feels....different....than the deliberative process I had planned leading up to my February 2019 departure.  But, I still think it will maximize my happiness to leave ASAP, so I'm very excited.  The only reason I am not giving notice immediately is that I'm working remotely this week (and taking a long weekend this weekend) and I'd rather talk to them in person.

Ok, now to figure out what little things I need to get taken care of in the next 2-3 weeks that I thought I had 6 more months to figure out!

Welcome to the group!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1844 on: July 31, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »

Congrats on the change of gears.  And I wish you luck on the mid terms elections unless you are supporting "the other candidate."

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1845 on: July 31, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »

Sol,

That's the problem. For us I am not yet sure what enough really is. Work clothes are scrubs and practically free. Also they feed both of us at work which means our food costs will go up a little once retired. Our commute to work is about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. Therefor car expenses won't go down that much. But, with the added free time we will travel a bit more which will increase expenses. We are also looking to take some classes that are not free.  This is one of the reason why we will go part time at the end of this year. It will allow us to see what we will do with the extra free time and how our expenses will change.

I presume you're tracking your expenses?  Sounds like you might have some relatively minor changes once you FIRE, unless there is something major that you haven't mentioned, like a relocation.

I tracked expenses pretty closely for a few years pre-FIRE.  I, too, had very low expenses for transportation, work lunches, clothes, etc., so I just assumed my expenses would stay about the same.  Being the conservative type, I added about a 12%/yr buffer to account for travel and the occasional unexpected large expense.  And given the age of the current bull market, I required a 100% success rate in historical simulations, such that something worse than the worst market declines in U.S. history would need to happen to cause a portfolio failure.  Because of the market run-up in my last year at work, I actually ended up with an almost 30% buffer instead of my planned 12% buffer. 

Of course nothing is certain, and there are still plenty of ways my FIRE could fail, most of which involve unexpected expenses (e.g., the U.S. health care/insurance system gets much worse than it already is, I get disabled and can no longer cut firewood, which causes my electric bill to quadruple - the list of potential calamities is endless...).  But with those kinds of numbers, I had reached the point where I felt pretty certain it was going to work out, and I could no longer justify slowly killing myself at work.  If I do run into unexpected expenses that upend my numbers, I figure I can find a way to make enough money to offset the extra expense.  I don't need to make the kind of money I was making in my previous career; I just need to make up the difference between expected expenses and actual expenses.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1846 on: July 31, 2018, 07:28:12 PM »

sui generis:
As the OP of the 2019 cohort thread, I'm proud that you're joining this cohort.
Now.... deep breaths .....   and note that the forum has collected the wisdom of FIRE preparations and put it at
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/pre-fire-checklist/   -- it is even a sticky at the top.

You've probably got most of the stuff covered already, but in case the little bug in your ear thinks, "there must be something else", just check the checklist.
I have it printed out with checkmarks on all the relevant stuff.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1847 on: August 01, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »
Added sui generis to the list.

Let me know if I've missed anything. I have been a little lax in keeping it up to date...
Fixed Sugar Mountain based on response.

01/01/18  CowboyAndIndian (at 59) CONFIRMED
01/04/18  Gimesalot (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/06/18  Monkey Uncle (at 49) CONFIRMED
01/26/18  PizzaSteve (at 53) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  patches (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  Wintergreen78 CONFIRMED
01/31/18  MomCPA  CONFIRMED
02/01/18  DTaggart (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/05/18  Mrbeardedbigbucks CONFIRMED
02/09/18  JLTinVA (at 42) CONFIRMED
02/14/18  Gimesalot DH (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/28/18  Caoineag (at 36) CONFIRMED
03/01/18  Clean Shaven (at 45) CONFIRMED Part Time
03/02/18  brooklynguy (at 37) CONFIRMED
03/07/18  Aegishjalmur (at 35) CONFIRMED
03/16/18  Cherry Lane (at 43) CONFIRMED
03/27/18  Mrs. Honeyfill CONFIRMED
03/28/18  Target2018 CONFIRMED
03/28/18  homestead neohio (at 39) CONFIRMED
03/30/18  Moxie (at 58) CONFIRMED
03/31/18  msilenus (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/01/18  Mother Fussbudget (at 56) CONFIRMED
04/03/18  lostformars (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/04/18  OzBeach (at 54) CONFIRMED
04/20/18  moneytaichi CONFIRMED
04/25/18  Modernaimend DH (at 39) CONFIRMED
04/25/18  ZiziPB (at 50) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  NinetyFour (at 56) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  SwordGuy (at 60) PART TIME. (Just 1-2 months.)
04/27/18  poppydog and DW CONFIRMED
04/27/18  andkar (at 41) CONFIRMED
05/01/18  wordnerd and DH (at 30 and 36) CONFIRMED
05/03/18  Modernaimend (at 35) CONFIRMED
05/08/18  SwordGuy DW (SwordGuy isn't saying.   He wants to live.) CONFIRMED
05/11/18  Desert (at 52) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  CheapskateWife (at 42) and CheapskateHubs (at 49) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  Gyosho (at 55) CONFIRMED
06/01/18  step_away
06/01/18  CodeZed (at 40) CONFIRMED
06/01/18  Markbike528CBX (at 53.5) CONFIRMED
06/08/18  SwissMister CONFIRMED (at 50)
06/13/18  Mr Mark (at 54) CONFIRMED
06/15/18  DavisGang90 (at 49) CONFIRMED
06/22/18  FernFree
06/25/18  MaybeBabyMustache (at 42) TBD, working thru options
06/29/18  Acastus (at 56) CONFIRMED
06/29/18  aperture (at 56) CONFIRMED
06/30/18  HenryDavid CONFIRMED
06/??/18  Agent Rosenflower
06/??/18  dbtx
06/??/18  Omalley
06/??/18  randomgiraffe
07/06/18  Honeyfill  (at 60)  CONFIRMED
07/09/18  CHF (at 51) CONFIRMED
07/??/18  AussieGirl
07/??/18  Mr Griz
07/??/18  BackAndForth
07/??/18  cerat0n1a
07/??/18  Fresh Bread
07/??/18  SnidelyWhiplashStache
08/01/18  SugarMountain In a holding pattern, debating between OMM/OMY.
08/20/18  sui generis
08/24/18  sol (at 41)
08/31/18  JerseyGrrrl
08/??/18  NorCalistache
08/??/18  Mogadishu
09/01/18  Vegasgirl (at 49)
09/21/18  Ottawa
09/25/18  MaybeBabyMustache
09/30/18  SwissMiss (at 50)
10/05/18  JumboShrimp
10/25/18  PhilB (at 52)
10/??/18  Fire1018
10/??/18  Happy
10/??/18  Irishtache
11/??/18  DeSteeg
11/??/18  Kris
12/21/18  LateStarter
12/31/18  DavidAnnArbor (at 53) (Won't renew my office lease)
12/??/18  EnjoyIt  Parttime.
12/??/18  yoda34
12/??/18  RunningWithScissors
??/??/18  Blindsquirrel
??/??/18  FLStache
??/??/18  Michread
??/??/18  Minnesota_mom
??/??/18  MiserlyMiser
??/??/18  pecunia
??/??/18  Badblackgirl
??/??/18  Sofa King
??/??/18  PKate and DH
??/??/18  Calvin
??/??/18  HappyMargo
03/??/19  ChasesFish  OMY
??/??/19  RetireAbroadAt35  05/??/18, now OMY.
??/??/20  Gooki   2MY or 3MY
??/??/18  Alim Nassor (Cannot find in members list)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:11:10 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1848 on: August 01, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
Added sui generis to the list.

Let me know if I've missed anything. I have been a little lax in keeping it up to date...

01/01/18  CowboyAndIndian (at 59) CONFIRMED

08/01/18  SugarMountain

Has not happened.  Currently in a holding pattern debating OMY.  Will be at least OMM. 

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1849 on: August 01, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »
I'm now officially into my last three months. Had one half-assed offer of another job so far; it's a contracting gig which I'd take on a very part time basis for a limited period after finishing my current role, doing just enough work to bridge the gap between my husband's income and our projected retirement spending until I draw my DB pension and let the cash I've got put aside for the purpose form an emergency fund. But if nothing comes of it, I won't mind.

I'm going to apply for a credit card while I've still got an income. I don't intend to use it - I haven't had any credit cards since 2005, when the cashback benefits stopped justifying the inconvenience of paying off my balance every month - but it would be a good thing to have.