Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 738171 times)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #800 on: November 29, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
Not that you are looking for my financial advice Retire Canada, but I would argue that at 90% equities this is all quite academic. If this is your main stash then you are staking your retirement on equity returns. Some are proponents of this and others not. In any given year the move up or down in markets will often be as large in dollars as your cash pot so most of what we have discussed will make little real difference.

The real difference for you is that it sounds like you are OK with more volatility on the stash and can / are ok with significantly altering your draw from this capital making this is your main risk management tool rather than asset allocation.

My FIRE risk management plan is 5 layers deep so yes I would not ever rely on any one component of the plan for the success of my FIRE. For the people I know reasonably well who are approaching FIRE they also have plans that are multi-faceted to mitigate risk. I hope nobody in the Class of 2018 is heading for the finish line without several ways to defend against FIRE failure.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #801 on: November 29, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
Question for you all: when determining your portfolio mix, are you also including real estate & (if relevant), would you consider employer stock?

Regarding real estate, we have a 4-plex that we are renting out, so we are counting the income from the building, but not the value in out assets.  Also, if yu are planning to sell your residence, you could count the profit in your assets.  Otherwise, I don't think it makes sense, since you aren't able to easily tap those investments.

I would consider the employer stock but I would also start selling small portions and moving the money to an index fund instead.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #802 on: November 29, 2017, 09:48:26 AM »
Question for you all: when determining your portfolio mix, are you also including real estate & (if relevant), would you consider employer stock?

Regarding real estate, we have a 4-plex that we are renting out, so we are counting the income from the building, but not the value in out assets.  Also, if yu are planning to sell your residence, you could count the profit in your assets.  Otherwise, I don't think it makes sense, since you aren't able to easily tap those investments.

I would consider the employer stock but I would also start selling small portions and moving the money to an index fund instead.

Our FIRE strategy is multiphased, and starts with me quitting. Then, us selling the house in 6-7 years when the kids are out of school. Next, my husband will have the option to quit (should he want  - he likes working & has no current plan to retire at 60). If we needed to, we could also then start accessing our 401Ks. Given the real estate market we're in, we would sell our current house in 6-7 years, and move somewhere with a significantly lower COL & pay in cash for another house.

I'm with you on selling the stock. I do an autosale monthly for tax purposes, but my husband has been holding (we work for the same company), which makes me nervous.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: November 29, 2017, 09:52:38 AM »
I'm with you on selling the stock. I do an autosale monthly for tax purposes, but my husband has been holding (we work for the same company), which makes me nervous.

What % of you net worth is your company stock and your hubby's?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #804 on: November 29, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »

For vested stock, it's a very small percentage, but increases monthly. Currently, it's around 4%. For unvested stock for my husband (ignoring mine, as I will walk away when I FIRE), closer to 14%

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #805 on: November 29, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »

For vested stock, it's a very small percentage, but increases monthly. Currently, it's around 4%. For unvested stock for my husband (ignoring mine, as I will walk away when I FIRE), closer to 14%

I never counted unvested in my NW as it can be left on the table if you walk away like you are or get terminated for whatever....plus it is likely that if you have received stock you will continue to receive it while at the same time older stock is vesting, so there will always be a tail of unvested stock until you qualify for traditional retirement per your company's plan.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #806 on: November 29, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »

I never counted unvested in my NW as it can be left on the table if you walk away like you are or get terminated for whatever....plus it is likely that if you have received stock you will continue to receive it while at the same time older stock is vesting, so there will always be a tail of unvested stock until you qualify for traditional retirement per your company's plan.

Agreed (although, no traditional retirement to plan for), but the question I'm wondering about is whether it makes sense to include some for my husband. For example, if he plans to work for current employer for 5 years, is there a discounted version of the equity I would want to account for? Or, skip? Doesn't really matter, but requires more active portfolio management, as every month I'm increasing stock investment.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #807 on: November 29, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »
Agreed (although, no traditional retirement to plan for), but the question I'm wondering about is whether it makes sense to include some for my husband. For example, if he plans to work for current employer for 5 years, is there a discounted version of the equity I would want to account for? Or, skip? Doesn't really matter, but requires more active portfolio management, as every month I'm increasing stock investment.

I am sure we could think of many ways to count it from simple to complex...I don't like active, so the two passive are count it or don't count it for me.  I don't and haven't counted it bc I have no control over it and if I count it then it might act like bronze/silver (no gold for me) handcuffs, and of course I don't like handcuffs.  The reality is you are not increasing your stock investment until the day it invests bc you/he can't sell/exchange/own until then and once they vest you/he can make a decision as to whether or not to hold or sell and put into index funds (equities or bonds).  Further there are tax consequences when they vest and/or sell.  Just easier not to count...

If it helps think of it as future income potential over the series of years.  Along those lines will you take you hubby's paycheck for the next series of years and add that to net worth? Probably not, unvested stock is no different IMO.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: December 02, 2017, 05:11:00 AM »
Well, last week of November, that was a nice ride!   How do everyone's numbers look after that?  Any movement up of dates?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: December 02, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »
Well, last week of November, that was a nice ride!   How do everyone's numbers look after that?  Any movement up of dates?

Sure was! It left me $10k away from my "number", with 3.5 months left to go. When I set my FIRE date a year ago, I had little expectation of actually reaching that number.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: December 02, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

I'm tantalizingly close to my next milestone [$1M NW]. I'm far enough away from my FIRE target that I'm not making any changes to expected dates, but if the tax bill passes and the run keeps going it's possible I could move things up. The faster it goes up the faster it can come right back down so I'm not getting too excited about things yet.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #811 on: December 02, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »

Sure was! It left me $10k away from my "number", with 3.5 months left to go. When I set my FIRE date a year ago, I had little expectation of actually reaching that number.

Good for you, CL!!  That's gotta feel great!

I am on the academic year, so I can't move up my date.  Well, I suppose I could up and quit at the end of this semester (2 weeks), but not without burning some serious bridges.  So I'm sticking with my plan.  I will teach my last class on April 19, 2018.  I was planning to attend graduation on 4/28, but then an MMM Meetup in Vancouver was scheduled for that same weekend.  That sounds like a lot more fun!

After the discussion about cash, bonds, etc. in case of a downturn, I'm kind of confused.  I will have another $100K of income to stash away between now and June 30, and I'm unsure of where to put it.  Should I put the details here in this thread, in my journal, or in a brand new thread?  Thanks.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #812 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »

We don't track our assets monthly or even quarterly.  There is too much opportunity for crazy-making with the ups and downs of the market.  About twice a year I total our numbers and put the new values in the spreadsheet. 

Actually, we do not budget either.  We just try to keep doing what we are doing, and when there is big spending on something (my DW and I are taking a trip to Amsterdam to celebrate our anniversary), I increase the side-hustle and squeeze a little more $s out of daily life.  Retire-Canada mentions having 5 levels of fail-safe on his retirement plan, and that is about where we are, so not a lot of need to check vitals at every instance.

I think that when I am no longer working, and have more time, I will look at the dollars more - just to assure myself that the math still works.  Best wishes, aperture.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: December 02, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »

Good for you, CL!!  That's gotta feel great!

I am on the academic year, so I can't move up my date.  Well, I suppose I could up and quit at the end of this semester (2 weeks), but not without burning some serious bridges.  So I'm sticking with my plan.  I will teach my last class on April 19, 2018.  I was planning to attend graduation on 4/28, but then an MMM Meetup in Vancouver was scheduled for that same weekend.  That sounds like a lot more fun!

After the discussion about cash, bonds, etc. in case of a downturn, I'm kind of confused.  I will have another $100K of income to stash away between now and June 30, and I'm unsure of where to put it.  Should I put the details here in this thread, in my journal, or in a brand new thread?  Thanks.

I would think posting the question in investor alley section is a good place.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #814 on: December 02, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
I will have another $100K of income to stash away between now and June 30, and I'm unsure of where to put it.

I'll save you the trouble of reposting in the Investor Alley subforum.

Do you have a personal investment policy statment (ISP)?  We generally recommend that everyone do some reading and then write their plan down.  Then whenver you have a question or you get an urge to do something crazy, you check your ISP and ask yourself if you're still following your plan, and if not then what has changed to cause you to abandon it?

The core of your ISP is choosing your asset allocation.  Any time you get more money, you should invest it according to your ISP, which usually means immediately investing all of it at your chosen asset allocation, or at the very least gradually adding it monthly chunks to your chosen asset allocation.

If your AA is making you nervous about throwing another 100k into it, then your AA is probably too risky for you.  You need to choose an AA that you can stick with through the good times and the bad, no matter what the market is doing.  That's how an AA works for you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:05:26 PM by sol »

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: December 02, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »

No, but I've only got 35 days left as it is!

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #816 on: December 03, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
A new applicant here to the 2018 cohort.  Mrs PD and me will retire on Friday 27 April 2018, aged 63/59. Not so much RE I know - we were both subjected to financially damaging divorces in our forties.  We came up with our FI plan about 6 years ago and it has worked out really well.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:12:21 AM by poppydog »

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #817 on: December 03, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »
A new applicant here to the 2018 cohort.  Mrs PD and me will retire on Friday 27 April 2018, aged 63/59. Bit so much RE I know - we were both subjected to financially damaging divorces in our forties.  We came up with our FI plan about 6 years ago and it has worked out really well.

Congrats and welcome poppydog and señora poppydog. 

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #818 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
Okay, pencil me in for May-ish. :)

We hit a theoretical FI number a year ago, but we have a baroque plan that might call for some extra buffer in ways that aren't obvious how to reason about.   We're expecting to stay in an HCOL area (silicon valley) until our youngest is through the local school system (which locals know leaks a lot of info about how very high H. the C.O.L. is here).  FIRE isn't viable if we're living here forever, but cFireCalc gives it high marks even with a downsizing 14 years out.  This model values our home as tracking inflation in the interim, but not appreciating beyond where it is now.  Still: feels prone to historical accidents around how two timing points (FIRE + downsize) align w/ historical economic performance.  So: OMY, at least.  (Check.)

Since then, DW called it quits at work to homeschool the oldest.  (Public school wasn't working well for him.  Homeschooling's going great though.)  Work said "how about a leave of absence for a year instead and then see how things are going?"  That's no-lose for her, so that's what she's doing.  She likes a lot of what she does there, so she might go back on a dramatically reduced schedule retaining the low-stress stuff.

Meanwhile, I had been churning away at some really interesting challenges at work that have since reached their natural conclusions.  It's a good time to turn the page.  Two things holding me back, for now.  First is economic.  On 1/1, marginal tax rate drops down to zero temporarily.  Also, a bunch of benefits reset, most notably the generous pretax 401(k) match that I can frontload.  Second is lifestyle: daily bike commutes, free tasty protein at work, and job responsibilities that are fairly chill right now.  We're FI, but not so loaded or confident that I want to pass on money earned that efficiently.

Lots could change, but I think the overwhelming likelihood is I pull the trigger next year.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: December 09, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
Okay, pencil me in for May-ish. :)

We hit a theoretical FI number a year ago, but we have a baroque plan that might call for some extra buffer in ways that aren't obvious how to reason about.   We're expecting to stay in an HCOL area (silicon valley) until our youngest is through the local school system (which locals know leaks a lot of info about how very high H. the C.O.L. is here).  FIRE isn't viable if we're living here forever, but cFireCalc gives it high marks even with a downsizing 14 years out.  This model values our home as tracking inflation in the interim, but not appreciating beyond where it is now.  Still: feels prone to historical accidents around how two timing points (FIRE + downsize) align w/ historical economic performance.  So: OMY, at least.  (Check.)

Since then, DW called it quits at work to homeschool the oldest.  (Public school wasn't working well for him.  Homeschooling's going great though.)  Work said "how about a leave of absence for a year instead and then see how things are going?"  That's no-lose for her, so that's what she's doing.  She likes a lot of what she does there, so she might go back on a dramatically reduced schedule retaining the low-stress stuff.

Meanwhile, I had been churning away at some really interesting challenges at work that have since reached their natural conclusions.  It's a good time to turn the page.  Two things holding me back, for now.  First is economic.  On 1/1, marginal tax rate drops down to zero temporarily.  Also, a bunch of benefits reset, most notably the generous pretax 401(k) match that I can frontload.  Second is lifestyle: daily bike commutes, free tasty protein at work, and job responsibilities that are fairly chill right now.  We're FI, but not so loaded or confident that I want to pass on money earned that efficiently.

Lots could change, but I think the overwhelming likelihood is I pull the trigger next year.

You can also post your numbers on bogleheads and see what they say about your retirement expectations.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: December 09, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
Just had to chime in to say, 28 days 'til FIRE!  Woo hoo!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #821 on: December 09, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »

Nice. :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #822 on: December 10, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »

Nice. :)

yeah...be sure to post and let us know how good it is!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #823 on: December 10, 2017, 05:10:49 AM »

I can't wait to see the first long-time poster for 2018 drop into ER....(I know we've had a few people leave to the 2017 crowd).

I told a Choose FI meetup group yesterday I was still a bit terrified of pulling that lever

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: December 10, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »

I can't wait to see the first long-time poster for 2018 drop into ER....(I know we've had a few people leave to the 2017 crowd).

I told a Choose FI meetup group yesterday I was still a bit terrified of pulling that lever

Looks like it's going to be between Gimesalot and me.  He/she says 1/5, I say 1/6.  I think both of us are targeting 1/5 as our last day at work, but I'm technically on the payroll through Saturday, 1/6.

LateStarter

• Bristles
« Reply #825 on: December 10, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
Slight change of plans for me. April was always optimistic . . . Need a bit more time to top up, and I've decided to sell my house.

Probable window is now Oct 2018 - April 2019. 2018 is still a strong possibility so please move me to 21 Dec 2018 for now.

Like others, I'm looking forward to seeing the list slowly get confirmed once 2018 kicks off. Good luck all !!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #826 on: December 11, 2017, 04:25:23 AM »
My earliest date is 20th October, just over 10 months away. Woo-hoo! It remains to be seen whether I  will need to move the date into 2019.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #827 on: December 11, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »

Looks like it's going to be between Gimesalot and me.  He/she says 1/5, I say 1/6.  I think both of us are targeting 1/5 as our last day at work, but I'm technically on the payroll through Saturday, 1/6.

Actually, since I work 4-10's it looks like my last day will be on 1/4, on payroll through 1/6.  I haven't given notice yet even though I was planning to give it last Thursday.  I have said it before, but I am scared shit-less of giving up my job.  I make good money, $150k/year, and don't do much at work (about 4 hours a week), but the requirement of being here 40-hours a week just no longer suits my temperament.

It's funny how OMY is real.  I used to read all the posts about people who OMY-ed and I thought they were nuts!  Now, I am at the point and I am considering it as well.  Lucky for me, my husband has already resigned from a job that is driving him crazy, so I have no choice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #828 on: December 11, 2017, 10:24:37 AM »
I've been waiting for today for a while now, as I received my comp planning for the next year or so, including my 2017 bonus. Finally got the numbers! They are doing their absolute best to make sure I stay. :-) But, my 2017 bonus (paid out in January of 2018) is higher than I'd expected/planned for, which will really help the numbers. I'm still waiting to see what my stock vest schedule will be like for this grant. Some of my grants our monthly, others quarterly, and the occasional 1/2 year grant. So, once I see the dates, I will set a final end/FIRE date. But, June still looks promising given the other factors. I also got a second raise (got one with a promotion back in October), so feeling really good about that. It was a total surprise.

Other than telling my husband, I was most excited to re-run my FIRE numbers & post here. :-)

JLTinVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #829 on: December 11, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »
Mr. JLTinVA managed to get himself laid off with a great severance package (woohoo!), so his date moved from 3/31/2018 to 12/22/2017. I plan on giving notice as soon as we sell our condo. Cross your fingers for me.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #830 on: December 11, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »
Cross your fingers for me.

Awesome. *fingers crossed*

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #831 on: December 11, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
I don't know if I'm going to make June of 2018 or delay this until March of 2019.  Its just an obscene amount of money I'm due on March of 2019 and I'm slowly learning how to ride on easy street with my job.  If they terminate me before they terminate me, but I can do too much good in the world.  Leave me up here for now in 2018, there is always the chance I say "I can't take this anymore".

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #832 on: December 11, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
I don't know if I'm going to make June of 2018 or delay this until March of 2019.  Its just an obscene amount of money I'm due on March of 2019 and I'm slowly learning how to ride on easy street with my job.  If they terminate me before they terminate me, but I can do too much good in the world.  Leave me up here for now in 2018, there is always the chance I say "I can't take this anymore".

I'm wavering between those dates too. March 2019 and take my DB pension straight away, leaving everything else invested until my husband retires too, or June 2018 and live off cash savings for 9 months? My latest draft plan is to finish at the end of September 2018 to avoid ruining the vacations that two of my colleagues have booked in July and August. I can't see myself working another winter and never seeing daylight.

An added complication is that I've discovered that one of my colleagues, who has always talked about retiring in 2020, is FI, possibly from an inheritance, and his wife has already retired. If he decides to finish early and puts his resignation in before me, my contract will tie me to the job for the next six months, possibly working short-handed.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #833 on: December 11, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

I'm wavering between those dates too. March 2019 and take my DB pension straight away, leaving everything else invested until my husband retires too, or June 2018 and live off cash savings for 9 months? My latest draft plan is to finish at the end of September 2018 to avoid ruining the vacations that two of my colleagues have booked in July and August. I can't see myself working another winter and never seeing daylight.

An added complication is that I've discovered that one of my colleagues, who has always talked about retiring in 2020, is FI, possibly from an inheritance, and his wife has already retired. If he decides to finish early and puts his resignation in before me, my contract will tie me to the job for the next six months, possibly working short-handed.

I don't have the same complications on replacing my position, but its a fine balance on how early I let my boss know when I'm close to one more in-line promotion.

I have a large round of restricted stock due in February of 2019 then bonuses are paid in March.  The additional year is VERY accretive to my pension math, which is based on your last five consecutive earning years.  2018 would be nearly double the income of 2013.  I really don't *need* the money, but its a huge safety net and it gives me the flexibility for both philanthropy on a couple of causes that are important to us plus the ability to do some angel/venture investing.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #834 on: December 11, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »

I don't have the same complications on replacing my position, but its a fine balance on how early I let my boss know when I'm close to one more in-line promotion.

I have a large round of restricted stock due in February of 2019 then bonuses are paid in March.  The additional year is VERY accretive to my pension math, which is based on your last five consecutive earning years.  2018 would be nearly double the income of 2013.  I really don't *need* the money, but its a huge safety net and it gives me the flexibility for both philanthropy on a couple of causes that are important to us plus the ability to do some angel/venture investing.

No pension on my side, but very much in the same boat. If I move past June of 2018, I'm collecting a bunch of stock options that are likely tied to a December of 2018 vest. However, in that case, I'll definitely stay until January 2019, because I get a large bonus. All of that said, I have zero desire to keep going at this pace, and even less of a desire to go up for a pretty much mandatory promotion in September of 2018. It's a ton of work, very highly coveted, & would look like a giant slap in the face to my managers if I quit shortly after that promo.

Basically, I have to decide when "enough is enough". I have enough now. I can easily leave in June. They keep making it harder to leave, and that certainly won't change in 2019. When do I trade off my sanity, health & general life satisfaction? The whole OMY thing is a real challenge!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #835 on: December 11, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
Chasesfish : Having extra money for philanthropy and the ability to get involved in some projects would certainly be a big plus. If your job is getting more cruisy it could be an excellent plan.

I'm kind of hoping to pick up bits of work and then donate any 'extra' income to charity or other worthwhile projects. I hadn't thought enough about it til the last year but I've realised it's going to be important to me to give money as well as time. It will be a moral sticking point if I'm retired early with all this cash and not giving away some $$$.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #836 on: December 11, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »

Actually, since I work 4-10's it looks like my last day will be on 1/4, on payroll through 1/6.  I haven't given notice yet even though I was planning to give it last Thursday.  I have said it before, but I am scared shit-less of giving up my job.  I make good money, $150k/year, and don't do much at work (about 4 hours a week), but the requirement of being here 40-hours a week just no longer suits my temperament.

It's funny how OMY is real.  I used to read all the posts about people who OMY-ed and I thought they were nuts!  Now, I am at the point and I am considering it as well.  Lucky for me, my husband has already resigned from a job that is driving him crazy, so I have no choice.

What is it that you find so scary?  And is it real, or are you catastrophizing in a subconscious attempt to scare yourself out of doing something that is outside your comfort zone?

I've had plenty of fears of my own (plus some of my wife's fears, too).  They are not entirely irrational, as they mostly revolve around health care/insurance uncertainty.  But when I step back and take a look at my numbers, the buffer that I have, and the potential for earning a little part time income in the event that my fears come true, I reach the conclusion that it just isn't worth trading another year of my life for the added layer of security.

edgema

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: December 12, 2017, 03:00:45 AM »
Gimesalot - Your comment of earning well but that you 'don't do much at work (about 4 hours a week), but the requirement of being here 40-hours' made me chuckle as I am in exactly the same situation. I am also scared shitless about leaving my job (purely financially and not for any other reason). I also work a 4-day week. I don't know how you feel but reading about people with jobs contributing to poor health / stress / long hours almost makes me feel I should do OMY as I will never make money this easily again. Given your own admission of earning $750 an hour (on a 4-hour work-week) combined with killing time for 36 hours a week, then you are unlikely to either. For me it is more of a psychological challenge of boredom - but there are worse things. You also have a 3-day weekend to enjoy and still get a lot out of your current life.   

Obviously don't know your position but for me I am not going to beat myself up if I OMY and will decide early next year. I am 41 and will still be retiring very early if it is 42 and I don't think the 50 year old me will beat himself up that he has only been retired 8 years and not 9. My situation also points to more conservatism. When I leave my job it is almost certainly a one-way ticket. Furthermore I have no interest in side-hustles, matched betting, taking minimum wage jobs, monetizing a blog, self publishing books, making craft soaps or otherwise making money. Without doubt the best way for me to make money is to stay put in the highly paid seat I am relatively unstressed in right now. I have this idea of 'exchange rate' where I consider how many hours I would need to spend doing something else for one hours earning in my current job and this is usually 10-hours. I cannot think of any money making thing I would be happier doing for 10x as long.

Most of all I don't want to stress about money.

I don't think it is necessarily catastrophizing (good word) to be scared and I find some of the overconfidence sometimes displayed in this forum as more frightening. Don't let a more puritanical view of MMM make you feel bad for wanting more of a buffer as you are already winning.

All that said, I am in fear of the 'perpetual-OMY' and to counter this I have written to the March 2019 'me' and told him that enough is enough - it is time to FIRE......

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #838 on: December 12, 2017, 04:14:36 AM »

yeah, OMY is super real. Experiencing it myself pretty bad these past few days...

My boss' boss yet again asked me if I would please consider staying on (they know I want to go next year but have still not identified a replacement). DW is quite content here (we're overseas) and has a nice life. Our child is in a good private school, paid by company. Job isn't too onerous. Crunched some numbers and OMY would likely net increase the 'stache about +$150k compared to pulling the plug as planned in mid 2018. Maybe more.

Yeah, it's a pretty good gig here, and that's some serious lettuce...

So right now I'm torn. At 54, I'm not as young as some of you. I was feeling good about the leap, but the siren call of OMY is strong.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #839 on: December 12, 2017, 06:47:54 AM »
So right now I'm torn. At 54, I'm not as young as some of you. I was feeling good about the leap, but the siren call of OMY is strong.

As I wrote here earlier this fall, the guy in the office next to me had a stroke at his desk and died.  That took all the fear out of FIRE for me.  There are so many things I would rather do with my life than sit and look at a screen.  In the same way that frugality is a double win for FIRE (increase savings and decrease COL), sitting OMY at my desk feels like a double loss: worsens my health by immobility, and kills my will for more active, healthy living. I get the sense that I am erasing life from both ends at the desk.  Best wishes, aperture.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #840 on: December 12, 2017, 07:51:09 AM »
This year was OMY for DW and me. At this point, we're ready to go.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #841 on: December 12, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »

What is it that you find so scary?  And is it real, or are you catastrophizing in a subconscious attempt to scare yourself out of doing something that is outside your comfort zone?

I grew up in a poor immigrant family where the goal for the kids was to get a professional job, buy a house, get married, have kids, etc.  My parents are super financially conservative and have always pushed me to have two jobs "just in case".  They think we are crazy for taking this leap.  I know we have a lot of buffer in our plans and we could make it work, but still, it's a huge unknown, and for me, unknowns are always scary.

For me it is more of a psychological challenge of boredom - but there are worse things. 

When I had my own office, I would just close the door and work on other projects.  Now that i am in a cube, I at least need to look like I am working on my computer at all times.  I still sneak in some workouts and stretching, but I am mostly sitting looking at a screen.

Anyway, a lot of this discussion is a moot point, as I gave my notice yesterday. I will be FIRE on Jan 4, 2018 less an a month before my 34th birthday.  Best birthday present ever!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: December 12, 2017, 08:44:57 AM »

I'm 48 and I am very aware of serious opportunity cost for each additional year of work before FIRE. If I was close to 4%WR I'd pull the plug today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #843 on: December 12, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »

I grew up in a poor immigrant family where the goal for the kids was to get a professional job, buy a house, get married, have kids, etc.  My parents are super financially conservative and have always pushed me to have two jobs "just in case".  They think we are crazy for taking this leap.  I know we have a lot of buffer in our plans and we could make it work, but still, it's a huge unknown, and for me, unknowns are always scary.

For me it is more of a psychological challenge of boredom - but there are worse things. 

When I had my own office, I would just close the door and work on other projects.  Now that i am in a cube, I at least need to look like I am working on my computer at all times.  I still sneak in some workouts and stretching, but I am mostly sitting looking at a screen.

Anyway, a lot of this discussion is a moot point, as I gave my notice yesterday. I will be FIRE on Jan 4, 2018 less an a month before my 34th birthday.  Best birthday present ever!

Wow- congrats! That is an amazing birthday present. :-) I can totally relate to the parent/job security issue. It's something my parents really drilled in, and the "work hard" mantra was a core part of life. Given I don't really share the specifics of stache size, I think I've caused some angst with my family with our plans.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #844 on: December 12, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »

Wow- congrats! That is an amazing birthday present. :-) I can totally relate to the parent/job security issue. It's something my parents really drilled in, and the "work hard" mantra was a core part of life. Given I don't really share the specifics of stache size, I think I've caused some angst with my family with our plans.

Thanks.  It's been a lot of hard work and planning.

My parents don't know my stache size because they would worry it is too small.  They think that I waste too much money (which to an extent is true), but we also save a lot, invest, and we live well below our means.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: December 12, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »

Congratulations!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #846 on: December 12, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »

Wow! You are my hero!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #847 on: December 12, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »

Wow! You are my hero!

+1. Retiring at 34 is outstanding work!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: December 13, 2017, 04:05:54 AM »
Yes, outstanding work G, and I can see it might be hard to walk away given your parents expectations and your upbringing.

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #849 on: December 13, 2017, 07:37:05 AM »
Congrats G!!!!