Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 738127 times)

aperture

• Bristles
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #450 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:52 PM »
You know your values are warped when...
I think I have somewhere between 80 to 90 office days remaining, but I'm not sure.  I'm almost tempted to go to the office to check.

I can totally relate. I think the thing I will miss most about quitting work is updating my countdown calendar.   I use a spreadsheet and have a page to count office days remaining, another to calculate calendar days until FIRE, one to count days remaining as a percent of my entire working life, one that counts up vacation days that I am accruing, and one that counts how much savings left until I am retired (not to mention the one that counts 403b contributions). 

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #451 on: August 23, 2017, 09:48:33 PM »
Hmmm, unfortunately I won't missing anything other than the inflow of $$

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: August 24, 2017, 05:53:37 AM »
You know your values are warped when...
I think I have somewhere between 80 to 90 office days remaining, but I'm not sure.  I'm almost tempted to go to the office to check.

I can totally relate. I think the thing I will miss most about quitting work is updating my countdown calendar.   I use a spreadsheet and have a page to count office days remaining, another to calculate calendar days until FIRE, one to count days remaining as a percent of my entire working life, one that counts up vacation days that I am accruing, and one that counts how much savings left until I am retired (not to mention the one that counts 403b contributions).

That's a lot of counters!  I'm just counting total days (via a phone app) and days in the office (on paper on my wall, in a cryptic manner so no one else knows what it is).

I do have a separate vacation day tracker, but I've used that for years to plan my days off for the year.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »
I FIREd almost three months ago.  I used to write down at the top of my notebook both calendar and work days remaining.  I think I have done that for my last six months or so and it really helped me stay focused and motivated during the though moments.  It's hard to suppress the feeling of euphoria when you start writing single digit numbers.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: August 25, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Well, I might as well start following this thread.  Was going to do 2017 but then got a chance to do a sweet part time deal @70%.   2018 is highly likely now but not sure.  I've exceeded my financial goal but the power of OMY is too strong and my tendency to "splurge" on certain vacation destinations keeps me going.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #455 on: August 25, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »
Well, I might as well start following this thread.  Was going to do 2017 but then got a chance to do a sweet part time deal @70%.   2018 is highly likely now but not sure.  I've exceeded my financial goal but the power of OMY is too strong and my tendency to "splurge" on certain vacation destinations keeps me going.

Welcome JoJo and congrats on achieving your FI number.  BTW - I really liked your diamond ring photo.  For myself, I was so frustrated with my camera & enraptured with the eclipse - I took no pictures at all during totality - just the ones in my mind.  Cheers, ap.

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #456 on: August 28, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »
Just joined MMM last night and found this thread.  I didn't know much about the early retirement and Financial Independence  community but it turns out I have been basically living the FIRE(lite)  life for the last 25 yrs.  I'm 60 now and ready to pull the trigger.  I have reached FI and now just have a few things to clear up regarding debt and work related projects and bonuses.  I plan to retire sometime between March and July of 2018. 

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »
I thought I would add one of those cool countdown banners to my messages.  Does anyone know how to make it a regular footer to all my messages?

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
Honeyfill, if you go to Profile -> Forum Profile -> Signature and paste the text from the ticker website into the Signature box, the countdown bar should appear on the bottom of all your posts. I like the image you've chosen :-)

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: August 29, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
Put my date in as Circa May 2018. But it is somewhere between March and July. 

01/18 Monkey Uncle
01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Retire-Canada - downshifted 07/2017
 01/18  WannaGoOutside OLY, Moved to 2017 cohort
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 01/18  PizzaSteve Left the forum.
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18   MandyM - Class of 2017
~04/18  Mother Fussbudget
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
~5/18   Markbike528CBX
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
~05/18 honeyfill
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 06/18  SwissMiss
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
~07/18  SnidelyWhiplashStache
 07/18  Mr Griz
~07/18 cerat0n1a
 08/18  SpreadsheetMan DW - OMY, moved to 2019 cohort.
 08/18  NorCalistache
 08/18  Mr Mark
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: August 29, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
200 more days!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2017, 07:17:21 PM »
200 more days!

Congrats CL - This Saturday will be 300 days for me!!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: August 29, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »
200 more days!

Congrats CL - This Saturday will be 300 days for me!!

Awesome. You guys rock! :)

Patches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #463 on: September 07, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
Well, with each passing month my wife and I continue to crush our FI number.  Her and I recently had a discussion to consider 2017, but neither of us really dislike our jobs so as to speed up the timeline.  I will give a one-year notice in Jan.  I'm an officer of the company and want them to have time to find a suitable replacement.  Once they do I'll happily bow out at that time.  Long story short: nothing has changed. It's just fun seeing our lofty goals becoming reality. And thought I'd share it with you fine people. Peace!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #464 on: September 13, 2017, 12:07:34 PM »
I'm new & on the fence, but am considering RE in spring of 2018. Lots to consider given our situation, but that's my current timing. My husband will continue to work.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #465 on: September 13, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »
I started my CD ladder yesterday!  It's enough to cover two years' worth of living expenses.   Also, my DH and I decided that we will be moving to Washington state to establish residency in an income tax-free state.  Afterwards, we will be fulfilling my dream of a Great Canadian Road Trip!  It is hard to believe that we are just months out from FIRE.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: September 13, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »
Haven't posted in a long time, but I'm moving to 2017. Good luck everyone!

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: September 13, 2017, 06:45:09 PM »
Haven't posted in a long time, but I'm moving to 2017. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations!  Are you going now?

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #468 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:36 PM »
December, squeezing in 17
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:13:44 PM by Basenji »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: September 13, 2017, 07:46:01 PM »
...snip... Also, my DH and I decided that we will be moving to Washington state to establish residency in an income tax-free state.........

Welcome!
Westside ( greenside)  or Eastside (mostly brownside) ?

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2017, 07:26:36 AM »
Given that a lot of us will be retiring part way through next year, I am curious how many plan of us plan on running the numbers on health insurance during the open enrollment period coming this November. I have 2 states to choose between since we are going full time travel so I will be using those numbers to decide on a state (and potentially zip code for our mail forwarding). Its weird to feel like I am reaching the point where I have to start making arrangements for my retirement...

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
...snip... Also, my DH and I decided that we will be moving to Washington state to establish residency in an income tax-free state.........

Welcome!
Westside ( greenside)  or Eastside (mostly brownside) ?

Probably out towards the west side, although it isn't decided yet.  There are a bunch of pieces that need to fall into place before March of next year. 

Given that a lot of us will be retiring part way through next year, I am curious how many plan of us plan on running the numbers on health insurance during the open enrollment period coming this November. I have 2 states to choose between since we are going full time travel so I will be using those numbers to decide on a state (and potentially zip code for our mail forwarding). Its weird to feel like I am reaching the point where I have to start making arrangements for my retirement...

I am still trying to get my head wrapped around this too.  I think our plan is to have employer/COBRA for the first few months, then switch to an Expat policy while in Canada, and then Obamacare when back in the US.  When we leave in the fall for South America, we will self insure.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: September 14, 2017, 07:55:28 AM »

I'm not sure what to do about insurance.  I retire in March.  In September I'll be a full-time student and can get university health insurance, but what about the intervening 5 months?  Does anybody know if I get an exchange plan, can I cancel it in September?  Or do I have to stick with it through the year?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2017, 08:21:40 AM »

I'm not sure what to do about insurance.  I retire in March.  In September I'll be a full-time student and can get university health insurance, but what about the intervening 5 months?  Does anybody know if I get an exchange plan, can I cancel it in September?  Or do I have to stick with it through the year?

If you are in the US and have healthcare thru your company, you can get COBRA.
COBRA is continuing medical benefits for upto 18 months after your company subsidized plan ends due an end of job. You get the same insurance, but you do not get the subsidy, so you pay full price.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #474 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »

According to the last time we used insurance through the Affordable Care Act, the loss of a job is a "qualifying event" and therefore, you can get insurance outside of open enrollment.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:51 AM »

If you are in the US and have healthcare thru your company, you can get COBRA.
COBRA is continuing medical benefits for upto 18 months after your company subsidized plan ends due an end of job. You get the same insurance, but you do not get the subsidy, so you pay full price.

Yes, but my current insurance is heavily subsidized.  The unsubsidized monthly amount is more than I could pay with a different plan, so I'm wondering if that's possible.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »

According to the last time we used insurance through the Affordable Care Act, the loss of a job is a "qualifying event" and therefore, you can get insurance outside of open enrollment.
Thanks.  I know I can "get" other (ACA) insurance when I leave my employer, but I'm wondering if there's any obligation to keep it?  Can I cancel it partway through the year when I become eligible of cheaper insurance elsewhere? Or am I committed to paying for it until the end of the year?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: September 14, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »

I should probably run the numbers (just for "fun"), it would be a good dry run.

It IS weird, as I'm about to have "the talk" with my boss, who is just on the other side of the laptop screen from me here in the MSP airport.

Patches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »

Thanks.  I know I can "get" other (ACA) insurance when I leave my employer, but I'm wondering if there's any obligation to keep it?  Can I cancel it partway through the year when I become eligible of cheaper insurance elsewhere? Or am I committed to paying for it until the end of the year?

You're not required to continue paying.  Like any other insurance program, if you stop making payments they stop covering you.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »

You're not required to continue paying.  Like any other insurance program, if you stop making payments they stop covering you.
Good, thanks.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »
Good, thanks.

We had to have my husband covered for 3 months in the middle of the year until open enrollment at my work.  We signed him up with his loss of his job being a "qualifying event".  He stayed othe plan for a few months and then we just stopped paying.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 14, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »

Although I anticipate that ACA insurance will actually be less expensive than my current employer-provided insurance, I definitely will be running the numbers for a 2018 policy as soon as I can.  I have this irrational fear that they won't really allow the subsidies and cost sharing.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #482 on: September 16, 2017, 03:55:37 AM »
We'll have the issue of coming back from a long time overseas. Anyone know how we bridge the gap between the company health insurance we have now (and that will thus end before returning ) and getting onto a ACA plan when back in USA? 

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: September 16, 2017, 04:44:19 AM »
A lot of people talk about how work gets easier to bear once they've achieved FI and the end is in sight.  That definitely has not been my experience.  The workload, stress, conflict, and general bullshit just seems to keep getting worse.  I'm in a management position and can't simply check out (well, not without losing my sense of self-respect).  But at least all the bullshit cements my resolve to FIRE even more.  When the 2018 sign up period rolls around, if it looks like the ACA will continue to limp along for a while, I'm definitely out the door on or before my 1/6/18 date.

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #484 on: September 16, 2017, 05:01:55 AM »
Same here. The next 9 months are going to go by slowly I feel. I have no desire to stick around but also have no desire to slack off the remaining time.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #485 on: September 16, 2017, 06:04:08 AM »
I am with you Uncle and Griz.  My experience is that work has just gotten more difficult to endure as I get closer.  I am also in a management role and cannot simply slack.  Nothing really sucks about my job.  I like the people I work with and the stress is relatively low and I am competent to do my role.  My DW thinks I am crazy, but I am just tired of sitting in a box under fluorescent lights all day.  The closer I edge to my FIRE date, the greater the contrast grows between what I am doing, and what I want to be doing.  Still I like squirreling away my paychecks every two weeks and it is going to be hard to give up watching the stash grow and instead take money out (gasp!).

MrMark - suggest you look into COBRA insurance coverage https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/about-ebsa/our-activities/resource-center/faqs/cobra-continuation-health-coverage-compliance

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #486 on: September 16, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
I still enjoy my job, but I'm looking forward to the time when I retire.  I have a pretty good commute (for DC) but I'll be glad to leave it behind.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #487 on: September 16, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
Still I like squirreling away my paychecks every two weeks and it is going to be hard to give up watching the stash grow and instead take money out (gasp!).

Most definitely.  Today at lunch my DW said, "I'm scared about you retiring."  Me: "because you're afraid we won't have enough money?"  Her: "yes."  Me: "I'm scared too, but I just ran the numbers again, and we should have a decent buffer beyond what we need to spend."

My cFiresim runs are pretty bulletproof, assuming the ACA still exists (100% success rate with a 10k spending buffer beyond base expenses).  I know the fear is completely irrational, so I hope it doesn't cause me to make up OMY excuses when it's time to pull the plug!

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #488 on: September 16, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
I am with you Uncle and Griz.  My experience is that work has just gotten more difficult to endure as I get closer.  I am also in a management role and cannot simply slack.  Nothing really sucks about my job.  I like the people I work with and the stress is relatively low and I am competent to do my role.  My DW thinks I am crazy, but I am just tired of sitting in a box under fluorescent lights all day.  The closer I edge to my FIRE date, the greater the contrast grows between what I am doing, and what I want to be doing.  Still I like squirreling away my paychecks every two weeks and it is going to be hard to give up watching the stash grow and instead take money out (gasp!).

MrMark - suggest you look into COBRA insurance coverage https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/about-ebsa/our-activities/resource-center/faqs/cobra-continuation-health-coverage-compliance

Yeah, since I hit FI this some things don't bother me anymore and other things seem to bother me more.  I'm holding on till May to pay off some credit cards and collect my bonus but if things get too crazy I can leave anytime.   

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #489 on: September 17, 2017, 06:55:41 AM »
My cFiresim runs are pretty bulletproof, assuming the ACA still exists (100% success rate with a 10k spending buffer beyond base expenses).  I know the fear is completely irrational, so I hope it doesn't cause me to make up OMY excuses when it's time to pull the plug!

Funny, but at the same time I feel the call of the wild inside my cubicle, I find myself drifting into considering working 6 more months.  I would love to see the last coffin nail driven into our mortgage and could achieve that in 2018, but it is unnecessary. 

I have not run cfiresim in a while.  Thanks for the reminder.  I plugged in our spending, added the rest of the mortgage payments as a one-time expense and still came up with 100% chance of success. 

I wonder what other people's asset allocation is in this last year before retirement?  I was 100% stocks until last fall.  Then I realized that I was being greedy, and not adequately considering the risk of a market drop right before retirement.  I moved to 70% equities and 30% bonds.  According to the models, we will be successful with either allocation, but I am way more likely to keep working OMY if the stock market drops and I am 100% than if I have bond allocation to (1) pay myself in the bear years and (2) throw into equities if they really tank (30% or more drop).

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #490 on: September 17, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
I wonder what other people's asset allocation is in this last year before retirement?  I was 100% stocks until last fall.  Then I realized that I was being greedy, and not adequately considering the risk of a market drop right before retirement.  I moved to 70% equities and 30% bonds.  According to the models, we will be successful with either allocation, but I am way more likely to keep working OMY if the stock market drops and I am 100% than if I have bond allocation to (1) pay myself in the bear years and (2) throw into equities if they really tank (30% or more drop).

I'm at 100% equities. I just can't see myself retiring into the teeth of a really bad market crash regardless of any % of bonds I am willing to hold. I'm not overly emotional or fearful, but that just seems like a bridge too far. So all holding bonds does for me prior to FIRE is slow down my progress. But everyone needs to analyze this scenario for themselves and take approproate action.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: September 17, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
I backed off just a hare, from 75/25 to 70/30.  The stocks are a mix of large cap, mid cap, small cap, and international.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #492 on: September 17, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
I am still 100% stocks but I am also selling the house right after retiring so that is a very large chunk of cash infusion at the beginning of retirement.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #493 on: September 17, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »
I backed off just a hare, from 75/25 to 70/30.  The stocks are a mix of large cap, mid cap, small cap, and international.

Or maybe a rabbit...or a pika...

I used to make fun of people who make word usage mistakes like that.  But it seems that the older I get, the more I'm prone to such mix-ups.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #494 on: September 17, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »

Or maybe a rabbit...or a pika...

I used to make fun of people who make word usage mistakes like that.  But it seems that the older I get, the more I'm prone to such mix-ups.

+1 LOL

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: September 17, 2017, 08:47:27 PM »
Still on track f or May-July  2018 time frame.  Paid off our back porch remodel and half our cit i card this month , next month is other ha l f of the city  card and p a y off the bathroom remodel.  We are still holding steady at 95 equity and 5 st bonds.  Don't worry ,all credit cards are at 0percent till March and will be paid off. Only unknown is how much the kitchen remodel will cost.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #496 on: September 17, 2017, 09:09:36 PM »
Don't worry ,all credit cards are at 0percent till March and will be paid off. Only unknown is how much the kitchen remodel will cost.

honeyfill, thanks for the update. I do worry a little about you because the things you say of your circumstances are a little alarming (e.g. paying off credit card debt, possibly significant spending on remodels and high allocation to stocks).  Obviously you have not shared the complete picture and I know almost nothing.  I think elsewhere, you mention that you have been socking it away in a 401K for decades, so probably you are in great shape. 

If on the other hand you have any concerns, I have found that the reviews and advice of this community through a case study have been super helpful.  Sincere best wishes, aperture.   

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #497 on: September 17, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »
*snip*

mmmm looked at COBRA but I'm not eligible - I don't work for an American company and at the moment not a US perm resident either... I will probably have to get some kind of tourist insurance before ACA sign up once we're firmly back in the USA I guess. But I guess DW and DD (as US citizens) can sign up on ACA Exchanges or even off exchange just before arriving?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #498 on: September 18, 2017, 04:45:18 AM »
mmmm looked at COBRA but I'm not eligible - I don't work for an American company and at the moment not a US perm resident either... I will probably have to get some kind of tourist insurance before ACA sign up once we're firmly back in the USA I guess. But I guess DW and DD (as US citizens) can sign up on ACA Exchanges or even off exchange just before arriving?

Medicaid eligibility is based on monthly income, not annual, so depending on your circumstances that can be an option to hold you over.
If nothing else, it meets the insurance mandate

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #499 on: September 18, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »
Formally joining up in the 2018 cohort, coming over from 2017.  This is a big group!  Lots of the names are familiar from having moved up into the 2017 group part way through the year.

I'm kind of caught between cohorts, really.  My original plan was to FIRE in 2022 after hitting a target number, but when mega-corp purchased my medium corp and announced my site will close at the end of 2017, DW and I cut expenses fairly dramatically (and increased savings) to see what we can do without feeling deprived to make the transition sooner.  Our changes were significant enough to support down-shifting to semi-FIRE so I don't have to find another cube job I'm no longer passionate about.  My layoff date has since been pushed out to March 2018, which gets me a little closer to my actual FIRE stash target, but I remain on the hook for working 3 more months.  I will likely end up coming in to the physical office very rarely Jan to Mar, though, so in some ways it still feel like 2017 is my last year.  The actual alignment of when I will stop getting income from my employer is solidly in 2018.

The current revision of our plan is to kick-off the transition to Semi-FIRE with a 6 week family road trip to 10 US National Parks.  Then come back to a one-year break, then decide whether to continue to a subsequent one year break or pick up some part time work that I will enjoy.  We will be keeping a bit more of our stash in cash during this time and letting the existing stash grow.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!