Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 738191 times)

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2016, 12:55:33 AM »
Honestly I would rather work another year or two because markets are down and build up the stache than to retire at the top of the market and have it crash a few months later.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2016, 04:22:16 AM »
I have a question for the 2018 cohort...

Has the lack of returns in the stock market impacted your plans to FIRE in 2018?

Me:  At first, I was really optimistic that we would be able to reach our number by the end of 2017 to FIRE early 2018.  Now, given that for the last year and a half or so, our investments have not increased in value beyond what we have deposited, I am worried that we won't get there.  I am thinking I might have to downshift but not completely FIRE :(

I expressed a similar concern earlier in the thread.  It turned out to be unfounded (so far).  In fact, cFiresim numbers indicate that I could probably pull the plug earlier than I had planned.  Though that's not so much because of stash growth as it is due to my initial FIRE date estimate being conservative.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2016, 05:38:16 AM »
If I look at contributions only as an increase to my stash, then I will still be able to go in 2018, although the stash is a bit tighter. My projections have always been conservative so it still works, although I miss seeing the stash overshoot them. However, with the market still relatively over valued, then if we had further growth,  that would make me more nervous about a crash and sequence of returns risk as soon as I retired. So I'm content with how things are going right now. My first step in my retirement sequence will be to take 8 months long service leave at half pay. I can truly give retirement a test run over that period of time.  If everything is in order I will resign at the end of that. If not, I will leave the gate open to return for about 3 months which will earn me another year in the stash. If I had to I could keep going after that, but the way its looking right now that would just be pointless OMY.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2016, 08:36:22 PM »
Part of the challenge of a proximate FIRE date is to successfully transition into the life I imagine I want to live.  I hope that FIRE includes a return to more physical activity and more outdoor time. I would also like to be greener.  So after lots of thought and consideration, I ordered an eBIKE today. 

http://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radwagon

This one will allow trips to the grocery store, library, carrying of photo equipment and general transport around the town.  I am going to commit to routine commuting to work and see how much I can eliminate use of a car. This makes me very happy, makes me feel a little closer to the life I want to be living now and in retirement.  -Ap

May 26 - about three weeks later and I have been riding back and forth to work every day that I don't have midday meetings offsite.  That means about 3 times per week.  I have also logged some miles after work and on weekends.  I love the eBike. If any of you are thinking about it, I encourage you to take what ever steps will help you decide.  This has definitely been one of the best investments I have made this year. -Ap

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2016, 07:15:03 AM »
May 26 - about three weeks later and I have been riding back and forth to work every day that I don't have midday meetings offsite.  That means about 3 times per week.  I have also logged some miles after work and on weekends.  I love the eBike. If any of you are thinking about it, I encourage you to take what ever steps will help you decide.  This has definitely been one of the best investments I have made this year. -Ap

I tried a high quality e-bike in fact I was given the bike to review and could have kept it for free. I used it for a month and gave it away to a friend. I can ride my pedal bikes up to 25kms without thinking about it too much [~1hr's ride] and I didn't enjoy the extra weight/drag of the battery/motor nor the hassles of charging a bike before use just to get some extra help up steep hills which is the only place I saw a huge difference in my experience.

Brokenreign

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
I have a question for the 2018 cohort...

Has the lack of returns in the stock market impacted your plans to FIRE in 2018?

Me:  At first, I was really optimistic that we would be able to reach our number by the end of 2017 to FIRE early 2018.  Now, given that for the last year and a half or so, our investments have not increased in value beyond what we have deposited, I am worried that we won't get there.  I am thinking I might have to downshift but not completely FIRE :(

I was very conservative in my projections - planned on basically zero returns between now and 2018.  So no change for me.  Some healthy market growth in the near future might cause me to accelerate to 2017 but if we keep on treading water for the next year or 2, I'm still on target for April 1, 2018.

Same! My Spreadsheet assumed measly 3% returns, mostly for dividends and interest. Real returns would just be a nice little bonus to move things along quicker. We plan to have a couple years of cash on hand to cover travel and to reduce the effects of a portfolio drop soon after FIRE. Sadly im too dumb to have any idea where the market is going in the short term so I thought it best not to include anything but semi-guaranteed cash disbursements in my forecast.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »
My original 10 year plan, when I was 25 and was in debt, was to FIRE at 35 - meaning 2017 in the summer. But I wanted a $1 M back then, so I adjusted it to 2018 summer using some projections. I am thinking of pulling the trigger earlier now though.

I should be FI (pay for all my expenses, but NOT living in Silicon valley, with 4% rule) in the next 6-12 months. I don't think I will be able to stick out my job when I'm FI for very long. Even now, with a pretty big stash for a single guy (~500K), I have zero motivation at my current gig and slogging it to work every day is killing my soul.

Welp, turns out I was right. I can't make it another 2 years doing this. Morning meetings, night meetings, etc. I just had a day with meetings from 8am to midnight pretty much solid. So, I'm pulling the plug early. Sorry to abandon the super-awesome 2018 FIRE cohort. I'm more semi-REing in a few months and just relaxing to see how I like it. I will likely do some work in the next couple of years. Hopefully I can still be an honorary 2018 member :P

Good luck folks!

Congrats! It's encouraging to know people can pull the triggers earlier than expected. Do you plan to stay in Silicon Valley? We're in a similar situation where we're sort of FI but not where we live. It's tempting to just relocate and call it done!

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »
I guess I'm leaving this thread too, since I decided to semi-retire next year (2017) rather than go for full FIRE in 2018.  I realized I will have already saved enough money by the end of this year to retire at normal retirement age, so now I'm just killing myself so that I can retire earlier.  And then I realized, what I really want is not to do nothing, but just to not do this ("this" being what I'm currently doing).  And I can afford to stop doing "this" at the end of this year.  So I am. :-)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
I guess I'm leaving this thread too, since I decided to semi-retire next year (2017) rather than go for full FIRE in 2018.  I realized I will have already saved enough money by the end of this year to retire at normal retirement age, so now I'm just killing myself so that I can retire earlier.  And then I realized, what I really want is not to do nothing, but just to not do this ("this" being what I'm currently doing).  And I can afford to stop doing "this" at the end of this year.  So I am. :-)

Congrats! :)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2016, 12:41:59 PM »
My wife and I are targeting 35, kind of arbitrary, but we like round numbers. The only thing is we never really specified if it's when she turns 35, or I do. There are about four months in 2018 when we are both 35, so I guess somewhere in first quarter of 2018 it is :)

Our actual timing of being FI or not and if we meet that goal for ER depends on a lot of things including if we move or not, how markets do, how much kids actually end up costing, or one/both of us stops working full time before that date.

But for now, count us in :)

We're probably joining the club of people leaving this thread too by pulling the plug earlier.
Unless something changes, we plan on being unemployed and homeless by Fall of this year and enjoying every moment of it :)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
It makes me happy to see so many people reaching FIRE earlier than planned!

Meanwhile,  I updated my spreadsheets today to see my NW has just passed a certain round number, leaving me only 100k shy of my FIRE goal.  That means I'm still on track for 2018!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:23:31 PM by Cherry Lane »

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
Today at a useless meeting my manager mentioned that a group of managers had brainstormed ideas for what the company goals should be for 2020. I got this goofy private smile on my face knowing I won't be there!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2016, 12:26:24 AM »
Nice isn't it? Its happened to me a few times now with goals, strategic plans and so forth.  There's a change in re-certification probably coming up in my industry sometime  in the next ?5 years, that's likely to be a right PITA. Everytime someone commissions another piece of research on the impact, or sends another survey etc, I smile,since its shifting this change further in the future: more and more likely after I retire.

Congrats to all those moving their FIRE date forward. I wish I could say the same but it would take something quite unexpected.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2016, 06:03:34 AM »
I have 4 physical readiness tests to complete before retirement.  Hey, it's the little things.

CHF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2016, 04:23:54 AM »
I'm not sure, if I belong here...
My plan is to RE in 2018, but I'm FI already.
It's a wonderful feeling overall, but the job is still as boring as before.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2016, 04:28:23 AM »
I'm not sure, if I belong here...
My plan is to RE in 2018, but I'm FI already.
It's a wonderful feeling overall, but the job is still as boring as before.

So why hang in there two more years?

CHF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2016, 04:42:38 AM »
So why hang in there two more years?

Two reasons:
My GF thinks, it takes her until the end of 2018 to be FI. Althought in reality she is also already FI, she just doesn't believe the math and thinks she needs more "security".
I get a shitload of money (saving rate about 80%...) for maybe two hours of work per day. The remaining time I can surf the internet. I can't resist, it's just greed...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:47:42 AM by CHF »

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2016, 06:02:47 AM »
According to the spreadsheet I made on a particularly painful Tuesday, I have 511 workdays remaining. About 94 of those are Mondays. I admire those of you that pulled the plug early. If it was just me and the DW, I think we might do the same. But we have 2 kiddos that will need tuition or a car repair or bail one day, so we slog on. That is a pretty lame excuse for OMY, and we have a two week vacation in November to really look at the possibilities and determine whether it makes sense to go the full 511 days (two years and four months) remaining. As mentioned before, if I make it to Megacorp's early retirement threshold date, there is an annuity that is hard to pass up - even if it puts us over the top on FIRE needs. Damm these golden handcuffs.
Best wishes to all of you that are slogging it out with me today. Sorry for my work partners that are still buying Starbucks and BMWs - poor saps. Thanks, Ap.

CHF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2016, 06:37:22 AM »
Damm these golden handcuffs.
+1
Living in Switzerland is living in a particular comfortable golden cage.

Aperture, have you tried to focus on the interesting parts of your job and increase your motivation and less on the countdown of the remaining days?
I keep trying - and failing...

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2016, 07:46:28 AM »
Damm these golden handcuffs.
+1
Living in Switzerland is living in a particular comfortable golden cage.

Aperture, have you tried to focus on the interesting parts of your job and increase your motivation and less on the countdown of the remaining days?
I keep trying - and failing...

Yes CHF - I do try to remain focused on the parts of work that I like and not take home work stress and etc. sometimes I am more successful than others. I have found it helpful to imagine the life I want after retirement and then work to bring that as much forward to the present as possible. For instance I am now rocking an ebike because I want more exercise and more green. This approach works to some extent, but renting out 1/2 of my waking life to Megacorp has a pretty significant impact on the rest. Happy trudging! I will keep a positive attitude today and not look at my countdown calendar again until next week. -ap

CHF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:21 AM »
Aperture thank you for sharing! It is also a relieve to communicate with some people who understand the situation. Althought I can talk with some coworkers about the FIRE concept on the technical side, I don't want to share the emotional aspects in this environment. The only person in my direct environment with whom I can discuss this is my GF. I wish you an interesting but not exhausting work day :-)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
I spent some time this afternoon computing possible FIRE dates in 2018.  Friday, March 2 is looking like a strong possibility.  Haven't counted up the days/weeks yet;  I don't think I'm ready for that.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »
Well I'm going to tentatively slot us in with you 2018 guys. There's a lot of what ifs and maybes but we might just pull it off. Hello all, and good luck!

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2016, 04:36:49 AM »
Well I'm going to tentatively slot us in with you 2018 guys. There's a lot of what ifs and maybes but we might just pull it off. Hello all, and good luck!

Welcome, Freshwater!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »
My original 10 year plan, when I was 25 and was in debt, was to FIRE at 35 - meaning 2017 in the summer. But I wanted a $1 M back then, so I adjusted it to 2018 summer using some projections. I am thinking of pulling the trigger earlier now though.

I should be FI (pay for all my expenses, but NOT living in Silicon valley, with 4% rule) in the next 6-12 months. I don't think I will be able to stick out my job when I'm FI for very long. Even now, with a pretty big stash for a single guy (~500K), I have zero motivation at my current gig and slogging it to work every day is killing my soul.

Welp, turns out I was right. I can't make it another 2 years doing this. Morning meetings, night meetings, etc. I just had a day with meetings from 8am to midnight pretty much solid. So, I'm pulling the plug early. Sorry to abandon the super-awesome 2018 FIRE cohort. I'm more semi-REing in a few months and just relaxing to see how I like it. I will likely do some work in the next couple of years. Hopefully I can still be an honorary 2018 member :P

Good luck folks!

Congrats! It's encouraging to know people can pull the triggers earlier than expected. Do you plan to stay in Silicon Valley? We're in a similar situation where we're sort of FI but not where we live. It's tempting to just relocate and call it done!

Actually I do plan on leaving the valley. Pretty much everywhere is a lot cheaper. I still haven't pulled the plug at work as now I think I can get laid off which would be amazing. Still a bit scared of losing the firehose of cash.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »
Actually I do plan on leaving the valley. Pretty much everywhere is a lot cheaper. I still haven't pulled the plug at work as now I think I can get laid off which would be amazing. Still a bit scared of losing the firehose of cash.

We have come to that conclusion (leaving the valley,) too, and are trying to get comfortable with the idea. Hope you get what you wish for! It's like saving a big bucket of water before the firehose is turned off. ;) I am also *very* scared now that I'm considering pulling the plug earlier. We're making plan B, C, and D and hope it'll be a little less scary...

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
So...I ran my cFiresim numbers again today for the 437th time.  It's now showing 96% success for FIRE at the end of 2016, and 100% at the end of 2017.  Might have to promote myself to an earlier cohort.  I doubt I'll go at the end of this year because I'd like to see what the next president and congress do to the ACA.  But if things continue to look this positive, I can't see myself staying until my previously planned end of 2018 date.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2016, 08:38:16 PM »
Well I was supposed to belong to the 2020 cohort but change of plans and massive growth of savings means that fall 2018 is now the target. Course when I originally started this whole process my original date was 2026 so its amazing how much that end goal can move.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2016, 08:45:08 PM »
Well I was supposed to belong to the 2020 cohort but change of plans and massive growth of savings means that fall 2018 is now the target. Course when I originally started this whole process my original date was 2026 so its amazing how much that end goal can move.

Welcome, Caoineag!  Isn't it nice to skip a grade or two?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
I'm shooting for mid/late June for my official military retirement date.  This will allow me to lead my industry study until graduation early June.  After I use up leave and house/job hunting of about 70 days, my last paid day of work will be sometime in September.

It will be nice to get a couple months of full pay under my belt after I retire before the pension kicks in.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2016, 09:53:40 PM »
I'm shooting for mid/late June for my official military retirement date.  This will allow me to lead my industry study until graduation early June.  After I use up leave and house/job hunting of about 70 days, my last paid day of work will be sometime in September.

It will be nice to get a couple months of full pay under my belt after I retire before the pension kicks in.
If you haven't already done so, mark a date on your calendar for 181 days after your retirement date.  That's the day you'll start hearing from contacts wanting to hire you after the federal ethics employment window has closed. 

By Day 181, of course, you'll already know how you want to respond to those unsolicited offers...

WannaGoOutside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2016, 10:31:11 AM »
Long time lurker ... first time poster.

[Deep breath]  I'm in for 2018!  In fact, the very beginning of 2018!

Insert the usual disclaimers about the election and ACA changes.  As long as there are affordable (and somewhat stable??) health care choices available, I'm in!

Our plan is
   (1) Sell our house while the housing market in our area is very good.  Probably by mid 2017.
   (2) DH will pull the plug then, and move to our "retirement" home that we already own in a neighboring state. 
         Goodbye concrete!  Hello pine trees!
   (3) I will stay behind to finish 2017, mainly to provide benefits for our college / post college kiddos.  I'll stay with sister, friends, parents.
   (4) Sometime towards the end of 2017, give notice and prepare for Life NOT Working For The Man!

I've already got my Dr. Doom inspired lists going of things I want to do Post FIRE.  I am SOOOOO looking forward to it!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
Welcome, WannaGoOutside. What a great first post - announcing your FIRE date complete with plan.

WannaGoOutside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2016, 03:25:29 PM »
Welcome, WannaGoOutside. What a great first post - announcing your FIRE date complete with plan.

Thank you!  It's becoming more real.  Obviously we've discussed it with the people I plan to couch-surf with next year, but I haven't talked about it with many other people.  YET it is time to start thinking about re-balancing and really paying attention to the healthcare changes and getting the house ready to sell and ... and ... and.

It's nice to write it down (say it outloud virtually) to a group that doesn't immediately question the what/how/why!!!

FernFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On my way!
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
Wrapping up my spreadsheets for the year and I can't believe how well I did! :)  It's looking like April 2018 is a conservative date to pull the plug if all goes well.

Variables:
  • ACA situation - such a bummer that they might blow up this terrific solution for entrepreneurs and early retirees.
  • Drawdowns at work are planned and should come with generous severance packages.  If I can get one of these I might be able to FIRE earlier.
  • Daughter is planning to graduate high school early but has to do summer school to make it happen.  If she goes straight into college, I may rethink my plans, but so far she isn't wanting to go and her grades aren't looking good.

I am getting so excited it's hard to contain myself.  Telling way too many people about it, but always saying "in a few years" to keep it vague.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
In October, 2018, I will reach 40 years service. However, I will still be 2 years short of the minimum retirement age unless I choose a reduced pension. I am seriously considering retiring in June, 2016 under a deal which would give me similar pension to that I would receive in October, 2017! Both 2016 and 2017 might be too soon on account of mortgage debt and negative equity on rental house. I am still optimistic about 2018.
Update. The June 2016 was a red herring. That option remains open until 2019 so I'm staying no later than Oct 2018. Work events and organisational change means maybe Oct 2017!

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »
According to the spreadsheet I made on a particularly painful Tuesday, I have 511 workdays remaining.

I made one too! As of today, I have 369 working days to go!!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »
I made one too! As of today, I have 369 working days to go!!

I don't have a spreadsheet for this, but my rough calculations are 183 days of work left between now and the end of 2017. Then I'm switching to part-time in 2018. Not quite FIRE, but having many times the free time in a year will be an awesome change. :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2016, 03:39:41 PM »
I've tried various intervals, days weeks, pay periods, but settled on counting months to go. At the end of December it will be 22 months to go. My plan is to then take all my long service leave ( about 8-9moths on half pay and then resign. Depending on how I feel I might work another 2-3months until my registration runs out. My major anxiety with this plan is that I might be refused permission to take such a long period off...if so I'll have to do some hard thinking  as to whether to just pull the plug.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
.if so I'll have to do some hard thinking  as to whether to just pull the plug.

If you pull the plug do you get your leave paid out?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
Yes I do, but there is a tax advantage in taking it slowly at half pay, then resigning in the next financial year (June 30 in Australia) where upon other entitlements like annual leave will be paid out. At my marginal tax rate, it would make quite a difference.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »
Hi.  My name is SwordGuy and I suffer from OMY Syndrome.  I'm moving from the 2017 Cohort to the 2018 Cohort.

Here's a recap of who will be FI and when, based on their last posting.  Quite a few have moved their dates forward from when they originally posted! :)

12/16  OzBeach
 03/17  Bateaux
 03/17  Libertea
~07/16  DividendMan
 12/17  Monkey Uncle
 ??/17  Myhotrs
 ??/17  NearlyThere
 01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Retire-Canada
~01/18  WannaGoOutside
 01/18  Zinethstache
~02/18  MandyM
~02/18  PizzaSteve
~03/18  CherryLane
 03/18  Sofa King
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  ZiziPB
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
 06/18  Financial Ascensionist
 06/18  Pylortes
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 08/18  SpreadsheetMan DW
~09/18  Gimesalot
 10/18  Aperture
~10/18  Caoineag
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18   Kris

The 2017 Cohort found quoting the latest message like this, then removing the quote markers and adjusting the data was a great way for everyone to see how everyone is doing.

I sorted by date and then alphabetically.

A ~ in the date meant a person said something like 'early 2018' or "fall 2018".  ~ is used as an abbrevation of "circa".

A ?? in the month field meant a person just said "2018".

Hope you like it!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »
I'm not actually suffering from OMY syndrome.  We were planning on going FI around May of 2017.   

But we've been watching a really cool house we want to restore, put on the national registry, and then flip -- and it came up for auction. It was buy it now or watch it get torn down by the city.

We'll end up putting about $200k into the house over the next two years -- which we're pretty darn sure we can get back out of it.  Plus a lot of sweat equity.  That's a non-trivial chunk of our stash.   So we decided to keep our jobs for an extra year to cash flow the repair costs instead of draw down our stash any more than the initial $100k purchase price.   Short of some really bad luck or mismanagement on our part, we should break even at worst case.   There's a reasonable chance we could make $50,000 to $150,000, depending on market conditions and whether we find the right buyer.

I guess, long story made short, our plan was working just fine, we just changed it, so we need to work another year.  But that's what having a stache allows you to do!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2016, 01:37:17 AM »
Absolutely. I've always wanted to restore an old house and did try to buy one a while back but the stars didn't align. I will probably never do it, but I see the attraction.

I like your list idea a lot. It will give a point of interaction for everyone on this thread.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
Haven't read this thread (will do so soon, though), but thought I should jump in as I will officially retire on 6/30/18 (but will actually teach my last class on 4/20/18, so that is the day I am using for my countdown)...just 3 more semesters!!  Will post more deets later...happy to be here!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2016, 03:47:29 PM »
I'll put myself on the list when I'm on the computer not my phone... I'm thinking mid-2018. Was hoping for the start of but we are behind schedule.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Updated to include NinetyFour!  Welcome to the 2018 Cohort!

12/16  OzBeach
 03/17  Bateaux
 03/17  Libertea
~07/16  DividendMan
 12/17  Monkey Uncle
 ??/17  Myhotrs
 ??/17  NearlyThere
 01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Retire-Canada
~01/18  WannaGoOutside
 01/18  Zinethstache
~02/18  MandyM
~02/18  PizzaSteve
~03/18  CherryLane
 03/18  Sofa King
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
 06/18  Pylortes
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 08/18  SpreadsheetMan DW
~09/18  Gimesalot
 10/18  Aperture
~10/18  Caoineag
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18   Kris

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
SwordGuy! I said I'd be FI in 2016 but my 10 year plan at age 25 was to RE at 35, i.e. 2017 or start of 2018. Hence joining this cohort. But... I just took a new job and will probably work well into 2018 because I'm a coward. :(

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
I'm in like Flynn.

Find yourself in this list.  Modify your date if necessary.  Add yourself if you're missing.

My plan here is to strikethrough each person as their date arrives.  When you're (I'm) next in the list, your (my) time has come and you'd (I'd) better not hold up the list by keeping everyone waiting.

mo/yr  username

01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Retire-Canada
~01/18  WannaGoOutside
 01/18  Zinethstache
~02/18  MandyM
~02/18  PizzaSteve
~03/18  CherryLane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
 06/18  Pylortes
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 08/18  SpreadsheetMan DW
~09/18  Gimesalot
 10/18  Aperture
~10/18  Caoineag
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 ??/18  brooklynguy

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »
??/18  brooklynguy

Wow, seeing it in stark courier new makes it real; it might as well be carved in stone.  I won't commit to a specific month just yet, but I'll be damned if I let the year go by without having joined you fine folks in retirement.

Party at sol's house?