Author Topic: (anti)mustachian wedding shower  (Read 5651 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
(anti)mustachian wedding shower
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
Our education into the realm of wedding-world continues...
In a very nice gesture, my fiancée's non-mustachian sister insisted on throwing her a wedding shower.  Following "tradition", I am not invited, but she insisted that I answer a bunch of questionaire - the idea being that she'll be asked the same questions at the shower to see how we 'match up'.

The questions seem to all come from some generic site (theKnot.com maybe?) but are rediculous for us and our lifestyles.  Like:
Where is she most likely to max our her credit card: (nowhere)
What is her shopping weakness? (having to shop in the first place)
Last place you went out to dinner (can't remember - it was several weeks ago.  My bad.)
What's her favorite weekly takeout? (weekly?  really?)
What's her coffee order? (black, and always from home from our french press).
What is her dream car? (we frequently wish we didn't even have a car, but we do only to visit family who live in remote places)
what purse does she want you to buy her? (currently she carries an LL Bean tote that was on clearance because it was mis-monogrammed for someone else)
Who's perfume does she wear? (soap)

I have a feeling that our answers aren't going to be what was expected of us.  There are just so many questions that are completely meaningless to us.  Oh well...

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: (anti)mustachian wedding shower
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »
On one hand, some of them are ridiculous. Where is she most likely to max out her credit card? Really? I can't tell whether that is insulting to women because it implies all women max out their CC's, or it's just plain insulting to every person. Not to mention a little sad because it shows how our culture encourages crazy spending.

On the other hand, maybe you're taking it a little too far, and you should just have fun with it. Look at the one that asks what's her coffee order. Ok, so she loves black coffee from your home french press. Ignore the word "order" in the question, and just answer that she loves your fresh homemade coffee. Same for takeout, surely she has some sort of food not prepared at home that she loves. It may not be weekly, but that's not the important part of the question.

Yes it's silly, but I definitely feel like playing along a little bit may make things go smoother with the future SIL.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
Wow this was funny. Permit me to suggest other answers:

Where is she most likely to max our her credit card: Combined all large expenses in one month to take advantage of a sign-on bonus (having to spend a certain amount in the first few months)
What is her shopping weakness? Starts to get light-headed after about an hour at the mall (this is actually me)
Last place you went out to dinner: Under the moonlight in our backyard
What's her favorite weekly takeout? The garbage - if it gets that full in one week (hard to do if you don't buy a lot of packaged goods)
Who's perfume does she wear? Eau-de-moi
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:58:42 AM by Daisy »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 05:10:47 AM »

Yes it's silly, but I definitely feel like playing along a little bit may make things go smoother with the future SIL.
true - and I think my tone didn't come through very well in my post.  I'm not really upset or angry, but more bemused by the selection of questions.  I posted it because I was sitting on my computer going through a list of 24 of these questions, and for many of them I had to shake my head and say "do you even know her?"  As another poster said, I wasn't sure whether it was insulting to women or just a sad commentary on the way most of us live our lives - surrounded in debt, buried in want and consumed by desire. 

There were also questions about make-up (rarely), hair/nails, and fashion magazines.  And there were some more heartwarming questions, like what her best feature is and when did we fall in love. But mostly it focused on material goods and/or appearances.

I am glad SIL's taken an interest in our wedding and feel blesed to be a part of the family.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »

As another poster said, I wasn't sure whether it was insulting to women or just a sad commentary on the way most of us live our lives - surrounded in debt, buried in want and consumed by desire. 

I was actually that other poster ;)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
Just don't answer ones you don't want to - and add your own. Favorite dish you make her at home. Your biggest dream is to retire early. Your favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon together.   Last thing you say before falling asleep. She always laughs when you do X. She'd never be caught dead in X store. She loves X best about you.  She thinks your most annoying habit is X. You love X best about her. Your most annoying trait is X. You always say X.   You can come up with a thousand Q&As that are interesting and can google more if needed.

Sebastian

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »
Ughhh I'm dealing with this BS as well right now. My fiance and I were forced to select stuff from Macy's and Target. Macy's recommend amount of items that we should select were 200 minimum items. We ended up with 33 and that was us really pushing it and being scan happy.

Then we went to Target... 20 items. So all in all we have 53 items half of which I could care less about..

I wanted to do a gift registry at a sporting goods store as my fiance and I plan on RVing around the country soon, but alas... the mother would not allow for it.

I seriously can't stand all this wedding mumbo jumbo. But your story made me laugh OP! I'd answer almost identically to that ridiculous questionnaire.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:14:38 PM by SethBahookey »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
I wanted to do a gift registry at a sporting goods store as my fiance and I plan on RVing around the country soon, but alas... the mother would not allow for it.

If the mother is not paying, the mother gets no say.  I have 1-2 friends that did REI.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »

If the mother is not paying, the mother gets no say.  I have 1-2 friends that did REI.
I would just answer normal and play along...then register at camping world or a place you like. Is there a place you can register to get shares of a stock??

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »
I always thought it would be nice to buy stock for a kid instead of a toy for birthdays...is that a downer??

Sebastian

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
I always thought it would be nice to buy stock for a kid instead of a toy for birthdays...is that a downer??

My grandparents bought me savings bonds when I was a youngin for my bday all the time.

Unfortunately I didn't become mustaschian until last year... I blew all of the bonds back in college when I wasn't working. :(

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »
Ughhh I'm dealing with this BS as well right now. My fiance and I were forced to select stuff from Macy's and Target. Macy's recommend amount of items that we should select were 200 minimum items. We ended up with 33 and that was us really pushing it and being scan happy.

Then we went to Target... 20 items. So all in all we have 53 items half of which I could care less about..

I seriously can't stand all this wedding mumbo jumbo. But your story made me laugh OP! I'd answer almost identically to that ridiculous questionnaire.
exactly where we are too ;-)  We've been coerced into the wedding registry, despite our repeated insistence that what we want most is to spend the day with our family and friends, not gifts.  but so many family members insisted...  in the end we put together a small registry of sensible items that we either could use or will need over hte next year (e.g. sheets and towels).  we both lived apart for several years before moving in together over a year ago, and consequentially we have all the things we need to live your standard comfortable lifestyle.  Still, we've been chastised for not choosing place settings (we have more than we need, given to us years ago by a family member updating her kitchen), or flatware (yup, already have all the forks, knives and spoons we need too).

in the end i just have to kick back and chuckle at the materially-driven world of it all.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
in the end we put together a small registry of sensible items that we either could use or will need over hte next year (e.g. sheets and towels).  we both lived apart for several years before moving in together over a year ago, and consequentially we have all the things we need to live your standard comfortable lifestyle. 

I dunno.  I had all I needed too, because at 32/36 yo combining apartments, we had plenty.  But, I found useful things to add beyond the obvious sheets/towels (some of which we waited two years to use):
- Food processor, which I made hummus in last night and am eating for today's lunch, mmm
- Crock pot, to make home cooked meals while at work of lower priced meats
- Breadmaker
- Vacumn to replace the broken one

I could have lived without, sure, but they help me be more mustachian now.  I think if you are just thoughtful about what you put on your registry rather than putting on things because it's expected, it can work out fine.  I put on things that would allow me to make more things from scratch (e.g. a pastry mat).  We didn't register for silverware to replace our mismosh largely because I didn't like anything I saw.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »

A friend recently paid off half her student loans with McD's stock received as a gift for her 9th birthday (she asked for it). So...no.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »

A friend recently paid off half her student loans with McD's stock received as a gift for her 9th birthday (she asked for it). So...no.
well if anyone wants to give me stock they purchased in McD's 15+ years ago and have held since as a wedding present I'll invite you to the wedding :-)
but seriously - I wish it were more acceptable to give people the gift of a few shares of stocks or CDs (not the music ones).  oh well...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!