Author Topic: 'Why Engagement Rings Are A Scam' Sad/Funny Video by College Humor  (Read 5245 times)

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU

It's trending on Youtube right now.  I thought it too funny not to share.

What are your reactions?  Think I can get away without buying a useless piece of crap?

Fireman

• Bristles
Re: 'Why Engagement Rings Are A Scam' Sad/Funny Video by College Humor
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
Hilarious!  My favorite part was the Bagel Bite reference!

jordanread

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »
That was great!! Glad I haven't bought one yet...now what?

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
My wife and I just went through this because.....  we got married within the last year.  She actually didn't want a diamond because she knew it was a scam, but is still traditional enough that she wanted a ring.  Initially she wanted to go towards getting a moissanite ring, but unfortunately it was difficult to impossible to find any stores that we could go to to look at them in person.

We ended up purchasing a reasonably priced engagement ring from Sam's Club (of all places).  It was exactly what she wanted and was priced fairly.  It's a shame that our only option was diamond, because if moissanite were sold there we probably would have saved hundreds of dollars.

dachs

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
Well diamond rings might be new, but people have been using wedding rings for centuries... Well and I think diamond rings are not that common in Europe anyways.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
If you find the right person, you can get away with it.

I'm a traditional girl, but didn't get the whole "ring thing".  We exchanged simple gold bands on our day and skipped the engagement ring entirely.  MIL is still a little upset by this.  (I think she thinks it reflects poorly on her son, my DH.)  She recently had to undergo surgery and told FIL and DH that if she died during the procedure I was to get her rings...not sure how her only daughter would have felt about that, but I suppose that's a different story.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
Haha great post!  Luckily, I was a broke college student when I got engage so 2 months salary wasn't very much! 

ThermionicScott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »
Great video!  And tragic, in a way.

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »
LOL!!!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
Well diamond rings might be new, but people have been using wedding rings for centuries... Well and I think diamond rings are not that common in Europe anyways.

That's true...in India they have been exchanged for centuries (maybe millenia) by wealthy families.

But still, that video is awesome!

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
Recently engaged here. We went with moissanite, and you can't tell any difference. When people ask, we tell them.

Clearly, both partners have to be on board though.

read books

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
Although this is a funny thread, the issue can be really serious, so I'm going to give a real answer. Can you get away without buying a piece of crap? Probably, but you need to figure out why everyone doesn't agree with you that engagement rings are crap. It's not just marketing that's at stake here. It's symbolism. If you're highly analytical, this can be tough (yeah, engineers, I'm talking to you -- and I'm an INTJ married to an engineer). An engagement ring is not just a piece of metal to everyone, and a diamond isn't just a rock to everyone. And those people are not inferior people who lack intelligence, at least not necessarily.

And before you dismiss me as a diamond digger ( check out the ethical crisis -- no way would I buy anything other an an antique diamond), I have a family ring from a cousin of mine. I didn't need my now-husband to buy a diamond and would have chosen something simpler than the ring I ended up with, which was not in fact designed to be an engagement ring, though it is a is a diamond ring. My guy got lucky and didn't even have to resize it.

This works for both of us, but I think it's important to be aware of your own preconceptions and have a thoughtful conversation (or two) on the symbolism of these rings. If both of you think engagement rings are pointless, don't care about diamonds, or decide to avoid wedding rings too, you're good. Skip it. This personal choice really shouldn't matter to anyone else. But what if you don't have the same ideas? People have really different ideas, and as what we're talking about here is a partnership, I think one of the most important things to consider is what the two of you really think and how you feel about your options. Why does person x tree things that way? Listen to each other.

I also suspect that this symbolism can be far more important to women than men, although that's not always the case. Still, I recommend that if you're a man considering engagement with a woman, take extra care to be considerate. Even though I didn't want my guy to shell out lots of cash, if he had been aggressive with low-$ ideas, I might have been annoyed. I mean, this guy wants a dog! Know how mush that costs? And the ring will last longer ;).  An engagement ring is an accessory to be worn almost all the time. Even some pretty expensive jewelry can be a good value considered in that light.

Context is important too. I've seen some unreasonable excuses (by non-mustachian types as far as i cn tell). It's only reasonable to say you can't afford a ring if you also can't afford your own expensive things of choice. For exmple, if few months of staying away from Best Buy will give you 5,000$...you know what you need to do.

Sorry for this really long answer. Maybe I should have looked for a different thread, but this is the one that caught my attention.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:43:09 PM by read books »

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:34 AM »
We were going to skip it, because I don't like wearing jewelry, but my mother made a big deal about it- so We spent $100 on Overstock on a garnet - his birthstone .

If he wants to buy me shiny things, I'd much rather he go to the bike shop for me. One of these days I'll have Monkey Lights - and instead of wearing a shiny thing that says "mug me" I'll be riding something shiny that says "I'M  RIGHT HERE, DON'T RUN ME OVER!" 

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »
I shared it with my girlfriend. Not sure what I'd do.

There would definitely be an offering of some sort, but I'm more inclined to give two months salary worth of something valuable- like a DOW index fund (those are commonly called Diamonds anyway!)