Author Topic: "White People Problems"  (Read 10080 times)

jpo

• Pencil Stache
"White People Problems"
« on: October 29, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
Noticed something in today's post that struck me as odd:
It’s a bit of a mess these days”, he said, “These kids are so precious, but they’re growing up fast and I hardly ever see them. I took a job at a practice in the city because it pays better, but it means I get up at 5AM. The kids do competitive swimming and ski racing on the weekends, so we’re never home to recharge.”

This seemed like a pretty simple set of White People Problems to me
I know MMM doesn't care much for being politically correct with the face punching thing and all, and I know this is his blog so he'll say what he wants, etc, but this seemed a little strange to me. Like any other race couldn't or wouldn't face similar "problems"? :-/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:26:08 PM by jpo »

whydavid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: "White People Problems"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
I have to agree on all counts.  I don't think it was intended as a slam against non-whites...actually, I think it was the opposite, but it does not take much imagination to see how this could cause offense.  Since there is already a decent contingent on the web that thinks of mmm readers as a bunch of upper-middle class white men, this is probably not a good thing.

Again, I don't think it was meant to offend, but it most certainly will.  And yes, mmm can do as he likes, and I'll still read everything he writes, but if I were in his shoes I'd toss it.

Janie

whydavid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:42:10 PM »
It’s a bit of a mess these days”, he said, “These kids are so precious, but they’re growing up fast and I hardly ever see them. I took a job at a practice in the city because it pays better, but it means I get up at 5AM. The kids do competitive swimming and ski racing on the weekends, so we’re never home to recharge.”

I know MMM doesn't care much for being politically correct with the face punching thing and all, and I know this is his blog so he'll say what he wants, etc, but this seemed a little strange to me. Like any other race couldn't or wouldn't face similar "problems"? :-/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=White%20People%20Problems

"As defined by the great Louis CK in his concert film "Hilarious", these problems affect Americans in the middle to upper class. This is when your life is so amazing, that you make shit up to be upset about."

I don't think his use was meant in any way to alienate anyone.   White people as a group have an extremely privileged economic status in the US http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/21/news/economy/wealth-gap-race/ , and I find his implied acknowledgement of this through his phrase choice refreshing.   

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:01 PM »
Louis CK http://www.cc.com/video-clips/s1c41g/stand-up-louis-ck--uncensored---white-people-problems
+1

[Middle class] White People Problems: "Where your life is amazing so you make $#%@ up to be upset about it." Pretty much fits the doctor's scenario in the post IMO.

Must_Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
I've heard the "white people problems" joke, and even told it myself, when I caught myself being a complainy-pants about a nuisance linked to privileged circumstances.

Surprisingly, I never knew it was Louis C.K.-- and I'm a fan.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:09:15 PM »

"As defined by the great Louis CK in his concert film "Hilarious", these problems affect Americans in the middle to upper class. This is when your life is so amazing, that you make shit up to be upset about."

I don't think his use was meant in any way to alienate anyone.   White people as a group have an extremely privileged economic status in the US http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/21/news/economy/wealth-gap-race/ , and I find his implied acknowledgement of this through his phrase choice refreshing.

Well explained. The Louis C.K. definition is good but that film is only from 4 years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the first to use it. Could be, but the term "first world problems" way pre-dates it and the site "stuff white people like" which famously parodied the same group is likewise much older.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
It appears that 75% of his posts lately are more about politics than tips to get to FIRE.

xonel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
I think the mere fact that anyone bothered to mention this perfectly demonstrates the concept of "white people problems". Keep up the good work MMM, say what you want, when you want. As whiny ass so aptly pointed out its your blog!
Xonel

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
I think the mere fact that anyone bothered to mention this perfectly demonstrates the concept of "white people problems". Keep up the good work MMM, say what you want, when you want. As whiny ass so aptly pointed out its your blog!
Xonel

Welcome to the forums!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »
I'm white and I grew up dirt poor.  I have absolutely no idea what "White People Problems" might be.  I suppose they might be figuring out how to make the co-pay for the prescription for a child's ear infection without having to use the money you had set aside to pay the electric bill.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »
I hear "First World Problems" a lot, which seems less offensive to me. Although, I did say it once to an American ex-pat who'd been living in El Salvador for 15 years in an intentional living community and get a very weird look...he was probably too nice to point out how rude he found it.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »

Hadn't seen it before...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
I'm white and I grew up dirt poor.  I have absolutely no idea what "White People Problems" might be.  I suppose they might be figuring out how to make the co-pay for the prescription for a child's ear infection without having to use the money you had set aside to pay the electric bill.

That sounds fancy.  I'm white and grew up with neither health care insurance or electricity.

But I love me some Louis C.K.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
and I find his implied acknowledgement of this through his phrase choice refreshing.

Because he's the first person to say something like that? You should hang out with more liberals :)

With MMM Billionaire thread and now this, I think MMM may in fact be Donald Sterling. Despicable.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »
I prefer "People of Pallor Problems".

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »

Hadn't seen it before...

JPO, I now love you.

jzb11

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
I think we should call them "First world problems" or "Middle class problems" or "I live in a country with a stable government and economy which allows my life to not simply be about the struggle to survive and meet my basic needs" problems.

Because most of the middle class is white...

I mean there aren't immigrants and their children who are middle class now are there? There aren't any black people in the middle class are there? Jews? Arabs? Asians?.. Yep "white people problems"...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:17:05 AM »
Privilege problems?

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 09:35:07 AM »
I say "first world problems."  Makes the same point, less likely to get the PC snowflakes up in arms.

jka468

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
Soooo much white privilege in this thread. Please, check your privilege.

C'mon, we all know that white people are the only demographic for which it's okay to say anything non-PC about. And if you're a white Christian married father, well hell, you better get ready for the Roast on comedy central.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
I am very liberal. So much so, that I'm often mocked by (most especially) my co-workers.
I despise political correctness, so I also get flack from some of my friends.
FOR CHRIST'S SAKE PEOPLE, listen to the intent of the message rather than getting your panties in a wad about what specific words are used!
I think most of the time when people whip out their PC sensabilities, it's about "hey everybody, look how learned I am" rather than really trying to make a valid point.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
Ha! I just said "panties in a wad". How utterly demeaning to women. I should be ashamed. But, somehow, I'm not.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
Ha! I just said "panties in a wad". How utterly demeaning to women. I should be ashamed. But, somehow, I'm not.

So you are saying only women can wear panties? I'm offended.  I swear it is only a comfort thing. Lol!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
My latest white people problem is that my comments were moderated and not posted in the comments on his latest blog post.

Guess I'm too much of an offensive complainy-pants white guy.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 10:07:59 AM »
I'm so confused? 

I know white people can't say the words black people anymore without having to sell their black basketball teams for a fuck huge profit.  Are we now saying that white people can't say the term "white people?"   

It gets more confusing for us whites everyday.   We can't say or refer to anyone as gay anymore because that might be a slur or offend them but Tim Cook can come out and say he a "proud to be gay?"

And please,  please,  please quit referring to me as white!   It is very offensive and inaccurate.  I much prefer to be referred to as "flesh tone."

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 10:12:40 AM »
I'm so confused? 

I know white people can't say the words black people anymore without having to sell their black basketball teams for a fuck huge profit.  Are we now saying that white people can't say the term "white people?"   

It gets more confusing for us whites everyday.   We can't say or refer to anyone as gay anymore because that might be a slur or offend them but Tim Cook can come out and say he a "proud to be gay?"

And please,  please,  please quit referring to me as white!   It is very offensive and inaccurate.  I much prefer to be referred to as "flesh tone."

Hooray for a sense of humor!

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
great, so now white people want to call themselves "flesh tone", as if flesh is only white colored.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »
MMM = Hitler

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
MOD NOTE: I see no benefit to the community in having this thread continue.  Hopefully everyone said what they'd like.  Please PM me, or another moderator, with any questions.

Locking thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.