Author Topic: "CreditCarma" - anyone heard of them?  (Read 5372 times)

MidWestLove

• Bristles
"CreditCarma" - anyone heard of them?
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
Wondering if anyone have heard of (or used) this site/resource.
Thank you

randommadness

• Stubble
Re: "CreditCarma" - anyone heard of them?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
CreditKarma, and yes I have it and know a lot of people who use it. Pretty useful site!

okkiedokki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Yes creditkarma is a nice website.  Add that with the fico score i get from mint.com and i'm set.  Plus both give some pretty good info, creditkarma seems to more though, and both are free, the right price for me.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
I've been using it for years.  The credit score has always read as lower than an actual credit check.  It also seems a to update accounts a little slowly, but it is a useful tool.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:00:46 AM »
I use it as I've been trying to raise my credit score. It shows 30 points lower than what the mortgage company just told us (695 vs. 725--important distinction) but seeing the overall trend has been helpful. It let me see that what I was doing was working!

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:10:21 AM »
I've been using it for a few years now. It is exactly what it says it is. An actually free credit score on-demand, and it's nice to have the history there if you log in regularly.

Credit Karma only pulls from TransUnion; however there are other services that pull from the others: Credit Sesame and Quizzle.

I haven't used the other two for very long, so I don't have much to say on them.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
I use creditKarma and credit Sesame (I'm about to check out quizzle). As someone else mentioned, creditkarma pulls their info from transunion (excluding the actual score). Here's a list of a few popular companies:

creditkarma.com - TransUnion
quizzle.com - Equifax
creditsesame.com - Experian

Credit sesame and credit karma have been very useful for keeping track of our credit profiles more frequently without having to pay. It also helped that I had used two sites instead of just one because my SO and I have a small car loan that only shows up on one company of the three.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
Does it give you the full report like Transunion or does it just give you a score? I don't really care about the score, I just wanted to do a routine credit check. 

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »
It's in between, sort of a "credit report lite". For instance, you get percentage of on-time payments, but don't get the breakdown of each account. So, you'll be able to identify if there is an error, but would have to get the formal credit report direct from the bureau in order to find out exactly what that error is.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 05:47:12 AM »
No, but it shows if there were any late payments, numbers of accounts, utilization - things like that.  For a full credit report, try annualcreditreport.com. It's free.

Actually, CreditKarma now gives the full report.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
Received an e-mail recently from CreditKarma. They now use both Transunion and Equifax. I also feel as though the information available has become more detailed on CreditKarma (i.e. you can now see the hard inquiries on your credit reports).

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »
I use it.  I'm tring to raise my credit score as well and I check one of the credit agencies thorugh CreditKarma every few months.

Since May my score went up 10 points from 787 to 797.  I want it up in 820+ range where it used to be.  It droped because I spend about 3-4 years not using any of my credit cards.  Now I am actively using my credit cards and paying them off couple times per month and starting the whole CC Churning process to get travel awards.  Got two new cards in late December, but haven't checked my new score since October.  Will have to check it again soon.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
just echoing everyone else.

i have accounts setup for me, wife, and mom.
able to monitor things a little bit closer.

i dont pay too much attention to it ongoing.  getting in there to start will let you know whats out there.  have been able to track down a few 'extra' accounts i wasnt sure were still open etc.

also if you are making big changes in your credit profile, you will get to see a fairly regular of the updates those changes are making.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!