Author Topic: $50 for $99 dollar food processor  (Read 4588 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
$50 for $99 dollar food processor
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »
Would you pay it?

I need new food processor.  The old one is 16 years old.  It still works, but my soon to be ex and I are about to start spliting houshold items and I figured might as well get few new items and leave him old ones. 

Anyway, found this one on craigslist for $50, new, in the box.  It is listed at $99 everywhere online.   http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kitchenaid-7-cup-food-processor/202638?mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_&adpos=1o2&creative=39230283949&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLv1En0NUSsIy0xUJsEJXt7aRkTD5Qoxm3ktXAyUvh5waAqZP8P8HAQ

Would you buy it?  How much is reasonable to ask for the price to be reduced?  I've been keeping my eye on craisglist for about a month, and there is not a lot of bargans in my area. 

I know this is a silly consideration, but everything I buy now is like bying it as half price as our finances are still combined for 3 more months.  After that we split everything 50/50.  So is this a $25 food processor?  Do you think it's possible to find it in stores for under $50? 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: $50 for $99 dollar food processor
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:17:32 AM »
I would not buy it for three reasons. 
First, you can find a food processor cheaper.
Second, you are adding bad feeling to what has already got to be an uncomfortable time.
Third, you don't need it if yours still works.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
I would not buy it for three reasons. 
First, you can find a food processor cheaper.
Second, you are adding bad feeling to what has already got to be an uncomfortable time.
Third, you don't need it if yours still works.

I agree that I can find one cheaper.  However, how much cheaper is cheap enough?  I haven't bought a food processor in 16 years, not sure what good ones are going for these days.

As for bad feelings and having one that works.  We need to double up on certain household items.  We can't divide existing food processor in two and each take a half.  He's doing the same thing with things that he wants to upgrade or items that I want to take and he needs to replace.  So I don't agree with your reasons 2 and 3.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
If you or someone in your house spends a lot of time in the kitchen it's worth spending a few extra bucks on a decent quality food processor.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »
If you or someone in your house spends a lot of time in the kitchen it's worth spending a few extra bucks on a decent quality food processor.

Yep, my daughter and I both cook.  I am wondering how much I can potentially reduce that $50 price tag.  Should I offer $40?  Or $30-$35 and go up to $40? 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
I bought my Hamilton Beach food processor with all the fixings for $25 at a yard sale

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
I bought my Hamilton Beach food processor with all the fixings for $25 at a yard sale

That's what I thouht.  I'll keep looking for something cheaper.  Thanks

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
I keep a mental list of things like this that I want to acquire/replace.  Yard sales and flea markets get a walk thru and if I see a good used one I get it.  These are things you don't really NEED.  They didn't even exist for the typical household 40 years ago.
Currently on my list is one of the new electric pressure cookers with timers/settings.  May take me more than a year to find one cheap but they will start showing up.

In a way, a lot of these can be viewed as cheap entertainment.  Wait until the latest wizbang gizmo is no longer advertised on TV and you can find it cheap in a year or so at yard sales.  Then you get to play with it for just a couple $$ and later give it to charity or have your own yardsale if its not worth keeping.  I find a lot of cooking gadgets are like this--people see them, think they have to have them but forget that they never really cook much in the first place!  If it cooks something unique, its worth picking up at a yard sale, enjoying the novelty for a few meals or parties with friends and then let it go.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
I don't think a food processor really falls into the category of being a kitchen gadget that cooks unique things.

OP, if I were you I'd just throw out an offer and see what happens.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
Does your soon-to-be-ex husband cook a lot too? If not, it's unclear to me why you can't keep the old food processor and let him have no food processor at all.

Also, in most cases I find using a food processor to be more trouble than it's worth, especially considering clean-up. Using a knife is less work.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
I would pay that.  I paid $100 for my food processor.  It gets a ton of use.

otter

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »
I'd pay it. I love food processors and use them regularly. I paid $5 for my first one at a garage sale , and got something like 7-8 years out of it, but that was exceptional. (my current one, after the first one died, was a Christmas gift) My mom only just had to retire the Cuisinart that she bought in about 1974. You can expect to get a lot out of your $50 if it is something you use, which your post suggests.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
Thank you all. 

I got it down to $40 for brand new KitchenAid food processor.  I should pick it up tonight or tomorrow, still waiting for comfirmation from seller.  I am happy about this, but infinitely more excited at how happy my daughter will be when she sees it.