Author Topic: UK Accessible trackers  (Read 972 times)

Brit71

• Stubble
UK Accessible trackers
« on: February 07, 2024, 03:47:20 PM »
I'm weighing up whether to go all in on trackers.  But oddly on this site I can't find any advice on UK accessible and cheap trackers.  Does anyone know where to find information on trackers?  I've already got a Vanguard FTSE 100 tracker so am looking for more global exposure (and probably small caps as well).

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
Re: UK Accessible trackers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 02:59:41 AM »
Vanguard do a full spread, UK gov bonds, FTSE250, Europe, US, Global with or without UK, etc. Moneyvator is a good source for research.

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 03:36:24 AM »
Vanguard do a full spread, UK gov bonds, FTSE250, Europe, US, Global with or without UK, etc. Moneyvator is a good source for research.
Thank you. Looks like a great place to start.

exoatteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 01:08:14 PM »
VWRP is the Vanguard whole world equities index fund.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 10:45:18 AM »
Justetf is a good site I find, you can filter and sort by MER.

Brit71

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 12:57:34 AM »
Thank you very much for the recommendations.

On the ETFs I'm seeing quite a lot of variance around the Total Expense Ratio, and many seem to be beating Vanguard - about half the cost for a similar fund.  I wasn't expecting that.  Are they teaser rates or  hiding the costs in some other way?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 01:07:06 AM »
Thank you very much for the recommendations.

On the ETFs I'm seeing quite a lot of variance around the Total Expense Ratio, and many seem to be beating Vanguard - about half the cost for a similar fund.  I wasn't expecting that.  Are they teaser rates or  hiding the costs in some other way?

Which tickers? There may be good reasons - 'synthetic' ETFs are sometimes cheaper, and probably just fine but I'm happier owning 'full replication' ones where possible - it's just one extra bit of potential problem you're avoiding. Global ones that include emerging markets tend to be a little more expensive, so if you can be bothered taking a developed global + dedicated emerging one can be cheaper.

Also you have to look at the tracking error. I seem to remember that Vanguard often has a positive tracking error, perhaps they pass various bits to the shareholder that other for-profit organisations don't.

But if say there is an iShares ETF at 0.15% and an HSBC one at 0.3%, take the iShares, no questions asked!