Author Topic: S&P 500  (Read 2230 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
S&P 500
« on: September 18, 2018, 02:09:31 AM »
Does anyone invest with this fund ?

I have funds in Vanguard Life Strategy Acc 80%, but I see this fund fee is only 0.09% a year, which is so low. The performance to date has been good. Anything to worry consider before investing? I know there is a bit of crossover naturally.

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/u/ubs-s-and-p-500-index-accumulation

PropJoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: S&P 500
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:35:43 AM »
How about this one on VG, even cheaper: https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-s-and-p-500-ucits-etf?intcmpgn=equityusa_sp500ucitsetf_fund_link

Also consider the platform fee, HL is 0.45 versus 0.15 at VG.
Although, I believe HL is cheap if you hold only UCITS. I've not bought any myself but plan to in future as I'll be doing some broker diversification when my pot gets to a certain size.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »
Hi Zola. Well these are two very different strategies. The LifeStrategy funds are cheap compared with most actively managed funds but they are more expensive than the cheapest trackers. However what you are paying for here is the automatic geographical and asset allocation rebalancing. Your LifeStrategy 80 fund is invested globally and is invested in bonds. It’s not really fair to compare it to a US only fund.

Are you thinking of switching out of your LifeStrategy 80 into this fund or adding it to compliment it? If it’s the former will you also invest in Japan, UK, Europe etc as well as Bond funds to diversify you? If it’s the latter all you are effectively doing is amending your geographical allocation with a heavier US weighting. Is this what you are wanting to achieve?

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
Hi NGU,

Quote possibly, I plan to keep the vast majority of my funds in LS80, but was thinking of adding a few thousand to S&P 500 from time to time to run alongside and let it bubble along.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »
How about this one on VG, even cheaper: https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-s-and-p-500-ucits-etf?intcmpgn=equityusa_sp500ucitsetf_fund_link

Also consider the platform fee, HL is 0.45 versus 0.15 at VG.
Although, I believe HL is cheap if you hold only UCITS. I've not bought any myself but plan to in future as I'll be doing some broker diversification when my pot gets to a certain size.

Thank you - at this stage I only have LS80 really and hold it with HL, for the amount I own I am not sure if it is worth transferring right now as I am then only locked to Vanguard products (not a bad thing!), but I wont be saving much at this stage as I am young in the game.