Author Topic: Retirement - 8 weeks in!  (Read 2475 times)

poppydog

• Stubble
Retirement - 8 weeks in!
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »
Hi everyone on the UK board.  You may recall that me and Mrs PD retired at the end of April, eight weeks ago today.  We're not as RE as some - I'm 63 and she is 59.  I thought I'd add some insights from our first couple of months.

1.  It's true what they say - how did I ever find the time to work?  There's always something to be done, and we haven't been bored once!

2.  I'm still unravelling our pension funds from our employers and converting our SIPPS into drawdown.   We had a mix of defined benefits and defined contributions pensions from existing and previous employers.  It all takes so much longer than you think!  Everyone wants to see birth certificates and marriage certificates.   I'd advise anyone in a similar situation to contact the registrars some time in advance and get a second copy of these.  Some institutions returned the documents immediately.  One - Capita - held my birth certificate for nearly six weeks, which really held me up.

3.  It's wonderful to be able to go shopping or do errands etc. when most people are at work!  SO much quicker and stress free compared with trying to fit everything in at the weekend.

4.  We've really enjoyed sitting down together and planning some trips and travel with much more depth and thought than we ever used to have time for.

5.  We joined the National Trust for Scotland - really inexpensive for what you can get out of it, and of course we can visit places when they are quieter.

6.  Neither me nor Mrs PD have given our jobs or ex-employers a moment's thought!

7.  We've agreed to spend the rest of this year just chilling out, going on a few holidays, learning to be grandparents (Mrs PD is a natural of course...)  We feel no compulsion as of yet to develop a new life plan.  We both worked full time for 44 years, and reckon it's someone else's turn now!

8.  I've spent most of the last eight weeks walking around with a big grin on my face!

That's all for now, thanks for reading.

MP

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
Re: Retirement - 8 weeks in!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
Sounds great!

highlandterrier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 02:25:50 AM »
Sounds wonderful, enjoy yourselves.

Good idea about the National Trust of Scotland, for me joining for a year would encourage getting out and about to make the most of it. One to add to the list !

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 12:45:40 AM »
That’s great poppydog. That’s probably sufficient time to have forgotten about work? Full time employment is part of a routine for such a long period of time it must take a while to fully shake it off. National Trust membership is a great idea. I bought annual membership for my parents a few years back and they loved visiting loads of places they hadn’t been to before.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 01:43:56 AM »
Great update Team Poppydog! Useful tips on paperwork.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 01:48:08 AM »
Congratulations, sounds like a very successful retirement in the making.

Flavius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 02:48:48 AM »
Congratulation! Glad to hear that it's all working out. I'm 55 in two weeks so my employer is on borrowed time ;-) I'm really hoping that they decide to get rid of the 'deadwood' in the next few months hopefully with a decent package.

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone - appreciated.

NGU - neither Mrs PD nor me have given work and our ex-employers a thought, honestly!  I’m quite surprised at that as we’d both worked for respective employers to 17/18 years, but we’ve been too busy to give them a passing thought.

Tomorrow I’m taking  Mrs PD on a long-promised retirement trip to New York - can’t wait!

All the best everyone.

PD
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:28:46 AM by poppydog »