Poll

LifeStrategy100 vs FTSE Global All Cap

LifeStrategy100
4 (44.4%)
FTSE Global All Cap
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: April 29, 2022, 07:03:27 AM

Author Topic: LifeStrategy100 or FTSE Global All Cap  (Read 1384 times)

ljshguighuf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
LifeStrategy100 or FTSE Global All Cap
« on: March 30, 2022, 07:02:30 AM »
Hi all,

As the title suggests really, which do you have, and why?

Up until now I've always held LS80, so the obvious choice would be LS100. Some people prefer FTSE Global All Cap though as it doesn't have the UK bias.

Vashy

• Bristles
Re: LifeStrategy100 or FTSE Global All Cap
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 07:44:46 AM »
I believe the UK version of the LS100 is more exposed to sterling and UK stocks than the FTSE All-Cap. Since I don't necessarily plan to retire in the UK, I'm using the All-CAP and the S&P 500 and a few European indices to balance out my heavy exposure to UK stocks that my corporate pension forces on me.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 07:46:08 AM »
Are you just wanting to understand which fund is more popular here or which fund you should invest in? Vanguard’s website shows that LifeStrategy 100 has 2.5 times the amount invested than the All Cap fund. Whether the people on here will be representative of that I don’t know, but that’s the big picture in terms of popularity by amount invested. The main difference as you say is the UK bias.

If you include the global ETF’s such as the All World fund, then that has far more invested in it than the two funds you have mentioned. LifeStrategy 60 is the most popular LifeStrategy fund by the amount invested. I don’t think as investors we should care too much about these stats though. What’s more important is we find the right funds that can help us achieve our investing objectives.

I think the main benefit of the LifeStrategy funds is the automatic rebalancing. You don’t get this with LifeStrategy 100 though, so I would choose the All Cap fund out of these two. I’m not invested in either myself though.

Why do you want to change from LS80? What are you trying to achieve?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:06:03 AM by never give up »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 12:35:34 PM »
I agree with @never give up that the main benefit of the Life Strategy series is the ability to easily make a decent choice on bond/equity split based on risk tolerance. It's such a great place for beginners to get started, but LS100 doesn't provide this benefit.

Do you look at the global all cap and wish it had a heavier weighting of UK? LS100 is probably the right choice!

I have global all cap and separate allocation to FTSE100. I started with LS80. I made the change when I understood a little bit about choosing funds and comparing fees. It was at the same time I switched from a percentage fee ISA provider to a fixed fee (maybe around £30k invested?).

Either will be fine.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 06:41:42 AM »
Being deeply indecisive, I go roughly 50% in VLS 80 (preferred to 100 for rebalancing) and 50% in a global all cap. I see being a bit overweight in UK as a way to feel less nervous about how much US Tech dominates the global all cap.

Entirely unscientific, just what helps me sleep at night.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!