Author Topic: I just knocked 2 years off my FIRE date! Could you?  (Read 3308 times)

Monkeytennis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just knocked 2 years off my FIRE date! Could you?
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:41:07 AM »
Like many people on here I've got a spreadsheet planning forward my potential FIRE date. I don't really like my job so the sooner I can quit the better.

I've been thinking about how to save more money, but then in struck me, why am I in a job I don't enjoy? Also isn't the best way I can retire earlier (assuming I'm being thrifty already) to earn more money in my primary job.

So anyway I went out into the job market and within 6 weeks had several final interview with new companies, I accepted a new job offer this week, salary increase by £13k a year, much better bonus etc AND they said I can work from home on Mondays and Fridays.

I've already updated my spreadsheets with my new income and I can potentially retire 2 years earlier!

It's also made me think about my career ambition within the few years I have left until I FIRE, I've found I have increasing confidence the more FI I have.

Anyway, everyone on here is such an inspiration to me I thought I'd share this!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:44:04 AM by Monkeytennis »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I just knocked 2 years off my FIRE date! Could you?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:50:25 AM »
salary increase by £13k a year

Blimey. Well done.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:59:03 AM »
Very well done for snatching the initiative - and the whopping great pay rise :-)

Definitely something to think about for the other young'uns here.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16:36 AM »
Congratulations, well done there.

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 06:59:30 AM »
Before I was self employed I used to set myself a goal of switching job every 5 years at the very latest.  I averaged more like 3 years between moves.  Its definitely something I encourage others to do.

As for FIRE dates, I started with 55 as my target 20 years ago, then when I found this site I brought that back to 50 straight away.  A year or so later I have trimmed it back further and further and now my early date is 42 and my middle date is around 45.

A lot of it will depend how business is and just how motivated I am to carry on.  At the moment my main goal is to just get to 42 and then look at the lie of the land.

We are budgeting each month now and tracking all spending as we are under 5 years away from 42.  This is to maximise our savings but also to ensure we don't end up FIREing and not having enough stache.  Once we sell our business it will be virtually impossible to start back up again so we need to be 100% sure.

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
Well done Monkeytennis.

16 years ago I was in a job I hated working for people I didn't like. I reinvented myself as an IT person and never looked back....  within a couple of years I was earning more and enjoying work again.   Plan to retire next summer.

londonstache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:19:00 AM »
Before I was self employed I used to set myself a goal of switching job every 5 years at the very latest.  I averaged more like 3 years between moves.  Its definitely something I encourage others to do.

That's really good advice and well noted. Well done on the great progress towards FIRE! Both you and monkeytennis have encouraged me to be more aggressive on the progress I am making.

Slanhirn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:09:40 AM »
Congratulations Monkeytennis!

That's the way I've thought about any pay rises I've gotten, I love seeing the numbers change once I put them into the spreadsheet. It's also motivating me to start a side business :).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!