Author Topic: Car purchase  (Read 4795 times)

melanie2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Car purchase
« on: March 04, 2019, 12:33:38 PM »
Hello.

I recently moved to the UK and am looking for a cheap car that I can pay £ for. I am looking on Gumtree. The cars are very different here than in the US. Any good makes and models you recommend? It has also been so long since I bought a car that I think I have forgotten! Any recommendations would be appreciated!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Car purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »
Ford Focus maybe. I find them heavy on the steering though.

Smaller cars will be cheaper in all ways. Particularly considering the price of petrol.

Did you do a license swap? Check you're allowed to drive manual transmissions!

melanie2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
No, I have to take the driving test. I can drive on my US license for 1 year but will have to take the theory and practical exam. I can only drive automatic too :(. I have tried to learn manual but never got good at it and never had a manual.

melanie2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
Totally looking at smaller cars too for the tiny roads! VW Polo? Thank you!

SpreadsheetMan

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
Little automatics are a bit rubbish, time to learn to drive properly :-)

Skoda fabia or citigo are good. (VW group cars, but cheaper than VW) I got a 1.2L turbo Fabia estate recently, does 50mpg easily on A-roads and motorways.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 06:37:32 AM »
Hello, welcome to the UK! It always used to be the case, I think it's still true, that second hand automatics were more expensive than manuals - apart from the premium brands, where auto is pretty much expected in high-end Beamers and Mercs, and manuals are hard to find. But if you are still getting used to driving on the 'correct' side of the road, it might be worth sticking to auto for now... I think our roads are harder for a foreigner to drive on that the roads in the US, which are generally wider, slower and laid out in a more standard way.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 07:42:17 AM »
Go for a Prius if you want auto, I'd say? Good (very good) all round cars, will be a bit expensive though.

melanie2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 01:39:11 PM »
Little automatics are a bit rubbish, time to learn to drive properly :-)

Skoda fabia or citigo are good. (VW group cars, but cheaper than VW) I got a 1.2L turbo Fabia estate recently, does 50mpg easily on A-roads and motorways.

Right?! I totally understand that, but think I am far too gone for that and really have to concentrate on so many other things that I don't think I can do it. Thanks for the Skoda and Citigo recommendations! I have heard good things about skoda (currently renting one) but not citigo.

Hello, welcome to the UK! It always used to be the case, I think it's still true, that second hand automatics were more expensive than manuals - apart from the premium brands, where auto is pretty much expected in high-end Beamers and Mercs, and manuals are hard to find. But if you are still getting used to driving on the 'correct' side of the road, it might be worth sticking to auto for now... I think our roads are harder for a foreigner to drive on that the roads in the US, which are generally wider, slower and laid out in a more standard way.

Yes, I think an automatic would be easier for me right now. You guys are much better and skilled drivers. I have a lot of learn and have to pay so much more attention than typical.

Go for a Prius if you want auto, I'd say? Good (very good) all round cars, will be a bit expensive though.

I had a Prius in the US and actually have only owned toyotas. They are my favorite car and totally recommend them. They are not very common here it seems. I actually haven't seen a prius for sale. I probably have to and maybe should look for a toyota dealer. I know I saw many Prius' in London. I will have a look. I do wonder about the gas mileage. The cars I have rented here actually get better mileage than my Prius did in the US.

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »
AutoTrader..? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/ (I have no connection with them, only found it a good place to look.)

Auctions?

Plenty of small Toyotas available, from the Aygo upwards.

Check the insurance costs...

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 12:00:36 AM »
The cars I have rented here actually get better mileage than my Prius did in the US.

Don't forget our gallons are bigger than US gallons, so it can be deceptive...

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 02:51:44 AM »
If you're looking at the VW Polo, the major competitor to consider would be the Ford Fiesta, which I think is the most popular car in the UK for good reason.

Distant dreamer

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 04:00:30 AM »
I would also check how much tax you will pay before you purchase a car. The tax here is based on CO2 emissions so a bicycle costs nothing and a old or powerful car can cost hundreds per year. It could be false economy buying something super cheap only to find out you are stuck with a high annual charge. Same goes for insurance too, and servicing.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 06:36:32 AM »
On the automatic front: I have a 2011 plate SMART car which is semi-automatic, and in that setting you have to change up gears but there's no clutch and it changes down automatically when you brake enough. It's only a very small car, but it comes in 2 and 4 seater versions. I think it was more expensive than similar manuals though.

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
What is your budget and where are you in the UK?

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:00:10 AM »
What is your budget and where are you in the UK?
The other obvious questions are around what you intend to use the car for?  If you expect to be doing a 20 mile urban commute on your own and not much else then something small with good fuel economy.  If driving in London with the congestion charge then electric or hybrid.  If driving to the Lake District / Scotland / Wales every weekend with a bunch of friends and tents / kayaks / bikes / climbing gear then maybe a bigger diesel estate that you can also sleep in the back of.

wespellitmoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
If you want something slightly larger I heartily recommend the Honda Jazz (Fit in the USA). Auto versions are available I believe.

Just_Looking_Here

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »
What is your budget?

If you're looking for a good commuting car and want to limit your annual costs, a nearly new hybrid will have zero annual road tax, but a brand new one won't as the rules changed recently.

We have a Toyota Auris Hybrid (petrol) which is automatic, not too large and gets good mileage. Insurance costs aren't too bad either.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!