Author Topic: Writing Wager  (Read 2255 times)

E_Ransom

Writing Wager
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:59:23 AM »
(Note: The idea discussed in this post came about without consideration that November is National Novel Writing Month. However, the coincidence is one I certainly enjoy.)

My friend wants to write a novel. I have written two novels (amateur writer, so don't ask) and a variety of other projects, so we got to talking about the idea when I realized it'd been almost a year since I really tried to write something big. I proposed we make a writing wager. However, I didn't want to make a wager that encouraged speed or competition because both of those would make the writing less fun and less enjoyable.

What we settled on was this: each person picks a charity. On November 1, we begin writing. When a person finishes their novel, they make a donation to the charity of their choice. If the person gives up or goes one month without significant progress, they "lose" and make a donation to the other person's charity of choice.

Now, two other friends have joined in and we're pooling everything while pairing off so that each person only has to pay to one charity if they drop out. I think it'll be a fun exercise and good encouragement for all of us to keep up the writing. Especially for someone like me, who lives in a hyper-distracting environment that makes focus very difficult.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
Re: Writing Wager
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
Good luck. I'm not joining because I've already started my novel, although I did sign up for Nano.

I tried to do a writing challenge a few months ago (August, I think?) and got exactly zero participation, so I'm curious if you'll have any takers.

E_Ransom

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
Well, this is more of a personal thing anyway. It's a challenge between friends (four so far), rather than a public challenge. I just decided to announce it here to keep myself motivated. After all, when you've admitted it in public, you can't backpedal then!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »
Neat idea.

My name is also Ransom...

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »
I can't commit to this now, but I think any kind of whip/carrot/concept that encourages writing is a good thing.

Are you on zoetrope? The various offices there will give you all the writers and genres to play with you could possibly want.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!