Author Topic: Workout Everyday Challenge (don't pay money for beachbody) Accountability group  (Read 6959 times)

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
Hi guys! So I follow a couple of Beachbody coaches on facebook for the inspiration. I love seeing their pictures. But sometimes the salesy message gets to me and I actually start considering throwing down money for it.

The Beachbody challenges which include 30 days of shakeology plus a workout program plus the accountability coaching cost about $150/month, last I checked. So let's throw $150 into Vanguard before we start! :)

I googled the Shakeology, it's actually not that good for you. Better just to eat good food in good portions.

And regarding the super cool workouts that she has access to, well I have access to BenderFitness.com where it's FREE!

So one thing the BB coaches always say is that it just takes 30 minutes a day. Bender Fitness has workouts that range from 12-30 minutes but you can do multiple sets if you want a longer workout.

My goal is to do 30 minutes everyday for the next 30 days, who's in?

((If you need a rest day, you're allowed to walk or do gentle yoga for 30 minutes instead)).

I finished Day 1 today. Please post and cheer each other on! This will be our free accountability group!

missundecided

• Bristles
I'll give it a go!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Yay MissUndecided! Tell us what you did for Day 1!

missundecided

• Bristles
Weeeeelllll...before I posted, I had every intention of hitting the pool. It was on my to-do list. And then...I didn't go.

missundecided

• Bristles
To complicate things further, I woke up this morning when my neck/back a little tweaked, so I probably have to take it easy for a few more days. I blame the push-ups I did on Saturday ;).

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
lol. well next time try doing a benderfitness.com workout. I just do the first one that shows up because otherwise if I spend too much time deciding which one to do, I might end up not doing anything at all! (I have no affiliation with benderfitness, just my sister and I really like it). Just press play! (That's what those beachbody people say ha ha)

Definitely rest up! I'm sooo sore from my workout yesterday that I'm literally walking funny. I don't even think stretching is a good idea. I will try a bike ride or walk with my kids in the afternoon, just to stick to the challenge!

ethereality

• Stubble
I'll join; this was perfect timing because I decided I wasn't going to waste my youth and potential strength! I have gotten my shit together in so many ways, but I have never mastered regular exercise for any amount of time.

I did 30 minutes worth of pilates videos and went for two long walks with my dog today.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm in too! I've been trying to motivate to get more exercise during the week, so thanks for the nudge. And luckily, I got up and did a 15-min yoga "quickie" class this morning in my living room (via YouTube) before work, so I'm on track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Am I allowed to join in at like, 3x per week, Max? I can't see myself doing this daily.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Am I allowed to join in at like, 3x per week, Max? I can't see myself doing this daily.

Yes you're in Prospector! 3x a week is really "correct" I think, if we're wanting to actually see results. Gotta give those muscles time to recuperate.

I skipped Day 2 because of uber soreness, like couldn't walk soreness. Just put in Day 3! I didn't want to but somehow I did it, so yay!

I'm in too! I've been trying to motivate to get more exercise during the week, so thanks for the nudge. And luckily, I got up and did a 15-min yoga "quickie" class this morning in my living room (via YouTube) before work, so I'm on track!

Awesome Trix76! Welcome! Share the link!

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yesterday I did this short yoga vid: http://youtu.be/9aWc-s9KOEo. This one (20 min) is also a fave: http://youtu.be/ZyP_d7EdOY4.

I usually just search YouTube for "yoga flow x min" to find a class that's roughly the length I want. I sometimes add "hip opening" or other search terms if I want something specific. And I go for classes with lots of views.

My all-time favorite for my living room yoga practice is this 45-min class by Lesley Fightmaster:  http://youtu.be/EC2D3dF6UiI. I've probably done it 50 times over a few years. I like the music she plays, and it's good for building strength.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Oooh thanks!  How's it going everyone?

missundecided

• Bristles
I'm always scared to do yoga videos because I worry I won't get the form right, and further cement my already-bad muscle memory when doing certain poses. For example, I've been doing yoga off and on for about 10 years, and I STILL have to get my downward dog corrected! 

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
That could explain why everytime I get going on a consistent yoga practice at home I have to stop because my shoulders and upper back starting hurting.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I went to spinning class Tues. and did yoga this morning. For Wed., I'll have to count my (walking) commute. It's an hour round-trip and involves a significant hill, so at least it's something...

How's everyone else's week going?

missundecided

• Bristles
I went to spinning class Tues. and did yoga this morning. For Wed., I'll have to count my (walking) commute. It's an hour round-trip and involves a significant hill, so at least it's something...

How's everyone else's week going?

That walk totally counts in my eyes!

I'm still recovering from my back pai with orders not to push myself just yet, but I am planning on resuming my push-up training program--with modifications.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
I worked out in the garden yesterday and the day before, more than an hour each time, lots of squatting, pulling, bending, walking, and chopping.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
You guys are doing awesome!!

I'll start Monday... promise!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Thanks for the tip on benderfitness

I'm a pretty big fan of beachbody programs, and I own a few.  A tip: you can get a full program for a lot less than $150.  The best one that I have, 21 day fix, I credit for helping me lose the "I had a baby after 42" weight, which was 35 pounds.  And the program itself (without shakeology) was only $60.

Even better, I discovered that they stream everything.  So I now have access to all of their programs, $99/year.  I think it's going to be super hard for coaches to make any money.  Right now they seem to be pushing the "Beachbody On Demand Challenge Pack" (which is 1 year online access to all programs, plus auto-ship shakeo, for about $160?  Or $200?)

Anyway, as you say, Shakeology really isn't necessary.  I find the BB programs to be very high quality, and I consider $99 a year to be an awesome deal.  I've completed several programs, and I like the ability to try new things.  My biggest complaint is that some days, I'm just not feeling 30 minutes, which is why I'm going to check out blenderfitness.  Some days man, I just want 15 mnutes.

On to the workout every day challenge...I'm out.  I was doing really well earlier this year - running Sunday, swimming Tues/Thurs, biking to work Mon/Wed, using Friday as my rest day and doing a BB program on Saturday (weight training) and Monday (yoga after running).  Now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon, so I'm down to 3-4 days a week.  One long run, one short run, one swim day, and one weight training/abs day.  Might work my way back up after the half marathon.   

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
mm1970, I know the programs doo seem high quality, but bender is free. Sometimes I wonder if I'd get less bored with the workouts if I got a cool beachbody one. Bender's can get repetitive.

So I haven't done a dedicated workout for a couple of days, but I pulled an all-dayer in the garden again. Bone-tired, so I'm counting it!

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
Oooh, may I join?

My goal is to complete the C210K program - doing a walk/jog for 30 minutes every morning before work. Then two 15 minute walks during the work day. I did great this week (started week 3) but it rained hard all weekend... and I spent all day inside today! I need more accountability for those soggy, cold mornings. I'd love to try doing a 30 minute exercise video in the evenings instead of surfing the internet.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Hey Merry! Of course, you're in!

NinjaSalad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Great idea!! I decided to do the exact same thing for myself (starting today) and then I visit the forum and there's an accountability group! Is it too late to join?

I dragged my butt out of bed at 530 this morning to go for a 3 mile walk and it was pouring rain so I popped in my 21 Day Fix DVD and did day 1.

ETA: I found my Beachbody DVDs used online for a fraction of what they would cost new :) I don't care about the shakes, I just wanted the workouts.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:41:32 AM by NinjaSalad »

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
In spite of the rain, I made it through Week 4, Day 1 of the C210K... dragging my 12 year old kicking and screaming from bed at 5:30 to run with me. :) It stopped raining right as we were heading back inside.

I also went for a nice after dinner walk with my husband, instead of settling down under the heated blanket with a book. My fitbit says I did a total of 87 minutes of exercise today.

So far so good!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Merry, Running with your 12 year old! That sounds so fun! My kids are all little. Things to look forward to :)

Ok, so I missed a workout yesterday, but I had a busy thing to do. I will have to fit in activity today sometime because I already missed the early morning workout period!

Ready2Go

• Stubble
Joining along. I've been trying to get in more hiking and I need a little more overall fitness to get going.

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
I'm bribing my 12 year old extremely non-athletic son to complete the C25K - when we finish I'll pay 1/2 the cost of a nintendo Switch he's been saving up to buy... but we have to repeat any days he complains during the run.

So far he's jogged with me 2 of 4 days this week... but I'm 4 for 4! Exercising every day. :) And it didn't start raining on us today until we were home. This weekend is supposed to be nice weather, but my MIL is visiting from out of state. I'm determined to still jog every day... It will probably be hard to fit in!

How's everyone else doing?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Ok, gonna do a yoga with adrienne right now! Thanks for the motivation!!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
oops, haven't been updating! Ok, I've been busy in the morning getting ready for teaching english online (brand new job, super exciting!), so I missed a few workouts.

BUT my sister is in town and she's the one that turned me onto Bender fitness, so we've been doing it together.

Update:

2 days ago: HIIT on the beach
Yesterday: Bender fitness at home
Today: Bender fitness, it's a good one!

missundecided

• Bristles
Been walking a lot more frequently, and this morning I tried a work-out on the Nike NTC app before getting ready for the office. It was 15 minutes, and doable (more or less), but I think I'm still doing push-ups incorrectly because afterwards, I re-injured my lat muscle area.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
I actually really like Beachbody programs. I just don't buy into the cult of Shakeology. For years I "acquired" the programs, felt bad, and got the $99 annual subscription for it (one-time purchase) and have access to everything for a year. Not super frugal, but worth it to me to kind of get rid of the guilt for a few years' and several programs' worth of free rides.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Me too! I stalk BB coaches lol.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm still on track, more or less. Swam laps and did yoga this week, plus my usual 1-hr round trip walking commute every day. Will probably go on a 2-3 hour mountain bike ride both days this weekend. Just need to get back into strength training. I wish I enjoyed it more!

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
I'm in!  I've been out of commission for a while and miss my workouts.  I typically do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, which is appx 20 mins, and a 2 mile walk.  This coming week I'm adding in some swimming.

My goal is to start back up tomorrow.  I will post afterwards to keep myself accountable.  Thanks for the thread!  :)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
I'm in, starting tomorrow. I used to do a daily HIIT 37-minute workout from Fitness Blender, and bike/walk a good 2 hours every day to and from work. This all stopped after my wife and I went on a 6-month road trip through the USA and Mexico. Camping, heat, lack of shower facilities, too many tacos and beer, took a real hit on my overall fitness. Since I came back last March, I worked out a handful of times. I didn't really gain weight but my muscle mass has definitely shrunk. Time to get back in shape!

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
Joining!!  Have been on a roll for the past week so think being part of this thread will help motivate me to keep up the momentum.  Thx for starting it.  Today I did a 60 min walk run (about half jogging and half walking, at 10-15m intervals) and some lunges and push-ups.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Ok guys, it's hard to see who's really doing what in this format, so I made a google doc! If you'd like, please write your name in a column, and then track your daily exercises. I also made a meditation tab if you're interested in that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ac6gD_j7S-TtTKLc6WUEaDXu8GecN5GCx839Pd4dLfo/edit#gid=0

We can also continue to comment in more detail on this thread of course!

blahblahblah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Joining you all!  i was about to subscribe to BB annual for $99 but will try Bender instead, thanks for getting this going!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Awesome blahblahblah!! Welcome! Thanks for joining the spreadsheet too :)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
So what happened here ?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Hi David! People stopped checking in! And then if it doesn't show up in my unread replies, it's hard to check in. I guess I should have bookmarked it. :)

Last week I walked 3x/week.

I got sidled with a strange shoulder injury that knocked me out for 2 weeks.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Sorry to hear about the shoulder injury. Glad you were  able to get back to things.

On Monday I went to the gym and did my weightlifting and cardio. Trying to get over there today.