Author Topic: Whole30 for Lent - 2018  (Read 8474 times)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole30 for Lent - 2018
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2018, 12:24:43 AM »
Tonight I danced and danced, and that kicked my hunger out.

Also, the cod dish was SOOO good. (I used coconut flour, as I had that on hand.)

will have to try the dish when I get home and can cook for myself

I am currently snacking on water melon while everyone else in my office eats chocolate. Not quite the same haha

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2018, 12:35:15 AM »
I am currently snacking on water melon while everyone else in my office eats chocolate. Not quite the same haha

:))))))

You're doing GREAT then!! I haven't had to face a challenge like that yet.

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
I finished mine and my first item off the list was alcohol 😂.  I am going to reintroduce dairy probably on Wednesday.  I am planning to keep up with the no sugar and no grains through March because I feel so much better.  I lost 6 or 7 lbs too.  I am thinking of doing another round in August because my allergies suck so bad and I want to see if it helps. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »
Staying committed through the last of the move -half of kitchen in old house, half in new- was the trickiest time. Did it!! Now have one merged kitchen again, looking forward to easier planning/prep again.

Body and face look different.
Can no longer do coffee, just repelled.
Very calm.

So glad for this decision, for this thread (thanks OP!), for Lent every year.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 11:41:35 PM »
Today I estimated how many days into Lent we are. We're about half way? I felt sad that it will end. All is going well, with wonderful results. I'm grateful for the time of settling in and focusing, for an externally defined period of intention of setting ourselves, our first cravings aside.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
Still on track. In my move, I got out of rhythm on grocery shopping and also apparently lost my basket of teas. So I'm down to hot water this morning, lol.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
I am still going ok, my doctor wants to test me for a gluten intolerance as some other health issues I was having has cleared up while doing this. Unfortunately the only way to test is for me to consume gluten for 6 weeks, so after lent I will start eating gluten again first and see what happens

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »
...some other health issues I was having has cleared up while doing this.

Wow, neat!!!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:11 PM »
...some other health issues I was having has cleared up while doing this.

Wow, neat!!!

yeah its good, gluten seems to be the obvious reason for this so thats what we will test, if not we can test a few other thing but its pretty cool

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »
People who started on Ash Wednesday will have completed 28 days tonight :)
I started the day after, so 27.
That's cool. 2-3 days from having completed the normal timeframe for Whole 30.
As I learned, I did the actual process incorrectly (mixed the ingredients together into whatever shape I felt like) and declared my own commitment, which works just fine for my purposes.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2018, 08:08:45 AM »
Yesterday a new wave of hunger hit (premenstrual), so I ate and ate and ate. I focused on getting extra fat and protein in. A real highlight was a meal of meatballs in curried tomato coconut milk sauce. YUM.

One of my favourite things about a Food Focus is bringing new recipes into my life.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
Yesterday a new wave of hunger hit (premenstrual), so I ate and ate and ate. I focused on getting extra fat and protein in. A real highlight was a meal of meatballs in curried tomato coconut milk sauce. YUM.

One of my favourite things about a Food Focus is bringing new recipes into my life.

that sounds yum

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2018, 10:02:02 PM »
Made some "egg muffin" things for my kid, first time. They look GREAT! Eggs, any veggies (I put in kale), salt, pepper, sausage bits, mix, bake. Now we have portable food for him.

I'm still doing well. First "dessert potluck" since starting this commitment, and I was thrilled to skip them easily and without a second thought. Also happy on the secondary count of them not being in my body!

One catch I became aware of: On my current eating plan, I have no source of probiotics and am also eating way more fruit than I normally do. This has caused a surge of candida, I believe. My first symptom of that is always itchiness, including in my ear drum. So I started on a probiotic supplement today. I'm not accustomed to elimination diets allowing fruit -sure makes this one easy, but I neglected to compensate for this version of sweets!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »
Today I received my first invitation to dinner since Lent started. I forgot all about Lent and gazed happily upon the treats, cake, icing! I ate three chips. Then I remembered and thought "oh no" and wondered what to do. Realized I was fine: Waited for the whole foods to appear, ate those up, passed the bun on to my kid, and when they were cutting cake got up for seconds of the whole foods. Yay!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
Well, just a couple of days left.

I'm sure grateful to OP for starting this thread, even though they never came back, lol :)
It's been wonderful.

When I know there's a shift I need to make, and I just can't kick start myself, it makes all the difference to have a date, timeline, purpose, and buddy system set out.

Discovered lots of new recipes, drink the occasional coffee only black and weaker now, easily booted out the ingredients I was concerned about. I saw which emotions -including happiness and excitement triggered cravings for specific items. The whole thing has been a meditation of sorts. I did think regularly about people whose ingredients are restricted due to injustice.

As we approach the end, I've been wondering what my next steps are.

1. Even though I'm not religious, I will likely go to an interfaith good friday service that is doing meditation + to help us consider something or other positive.

2. Sunday I will have an Easter chocolate to go with my kid's hunt.

3. I will redistribute my Kiva credits, in an effort to help redistribute food more equitably.

4. I will further ponder how I can do so closer to home as well.

5. In terms of food, I plan to continue not buying dairy for our home and sweetening baking only with bananas/other fruit. That keeps me off cream and honey, which were my primary concerns. Continue coffee black.

6. So the only planned additions so far are:
*one commercial chocolate on Easter
*rice (usually about once a week)
*lentils (usually about once a week)
*possibly skim milk powder at home, for frothy drinks (if I get a frother)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
Good morning, Good Friday.
Thank you, Lent.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!