Author Topic: Whole30 - February 2019  (Read 19141 times)

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
Re: Whole30 - February 2019
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »
I also found I need to eat more too.
And for reasons of GI distress either to not eating enough or too much soluble fiber have re-introduced beans back into my diet. (Otherwise I feel awesome and fitting back into my jeans comfortably).

Exercise has been walking 1 hr per work day.

Breakfast: sautéed apples and nuts with sliced banana and almond milk. Black tea.

Lunch: chicken, cauliflower rice, salsa, broccoli. Water.

Dinner: sausage, kale, egg, potato, salsa.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2019, 02:06:13 PM »
I love reading people's food plans. :) :)

Day 15 here. Things are going smoothly, but I need to meal plan for next week.

Breakfast: leftover mushroom, beef, carrot, and parsnip "risotto"
Lunch: Egg drop soup with celery and peanut butter on the side (this wasn't enough to get me to dinner, so a banana and walnuts are in my future)
Dinner: Will be a freezer veggie stir fry

Reactions so far:
I'm half way through this. It seems strange to say that. It hasn't been particularly difficult, with the exception of some cravings and social issues.
I've dropped a little weight, and my biggest goal is to carry forward my refusal to eat the random shit that appears in my office. It's been a wonderful breather in the pull of the donuts to have a hard and fast rule set.

Wishing everyone a happy Friday!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
@Orvell — I know that feeling! 2 dozen donuts in the break room right now but I’m holding strong. :-P

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
I am 2 days compliant, and have food plans for at least 2 more.  Reliance on banannas and dates and raisens a bit too much, but progress, not perfection.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »
I am 2 days compliant, and have food plans for at least 2 more.  Reliance on banannas and dates and raisens a bit too much, but progress, not perfection.
Nice job!
It really does get easier-- at least in knowing what foods to have around. :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
Day 17. Chugging along just fine over here. Didn't eat quite enough yesterday and was a food monster this morning. #oops Will attempt to do better. :)

Today I'm being lazy and having grocery delivery bring me things since it's snowing and I don't want to dig my car out.

I'm going to make meatballs and red sauce, and I have a pack of zucchini noodles in my freezer. Also going to cook up some sweet potatoes, and I have salad stuff for the week. :)
Breakfasts have typically been "whatever leftovers" heated up quick in the mornings, but this morning I made eggs and asparagus with a little bit of chili powder. It was yum as heck.

^__^

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »
Congrats! That’s awesome! You do what you need to do. Whole30 is pretty strict in principle, but it isn’t the end all be all if you want to just reset your eating versus diagnosing a food allergy/intolerance.

I am doing it by the book because I had a really really bad 3-week face breakout unlike anything I’d ever had before. So I need to eliminate and reintroduce to (hopefully) find the source of the breakout, since my skin is clear again as of day 3-4.

If you’re just doing it to get a handle on your intake and jump start cleaner eating, who cares?! Eat your dates! :-) All of ‘em. Take as many days to ease in as you need. You’re doing a good thing for yourself by changing your eating habits for the better, so however you get there is the right way to do it!

Planning does get easier, too!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
Day 12

Exercise
• 30 minutes brisk walk outside - rest day

Nutrition
• Coldbrew coffee, nutpods x1
• Baked potato with ghee and salt/pepper/granulated onion/garlic
• 2 garlic chicken sausages
• 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk (trying to use it up)
• a million walnuts
• unsweetened coconut chips
• cherry juice (had to use it up)

Weight
• -4.4lbs - pleasantly surprised I'm still maintaining a downward curve!

Super weird eating day; didn't really eat anything until about 2PM and just snacked. Still probably hit my calories due to the walnuts being high in fat/calories which is good, so I won't go off the deep end to compensate. Happy I'm still losing weight, which is always a nice side effect. Obliques are coming back in. Skin is clearing up, too. I had a lot of surface breakouts which prompted me to start the W30 (I'm talking never-before full face almost every pore was a raised red bump allergy reaction to SOMETHING) which cleared up on day 3-4 but I still had some painful cystic acne on my jawline that has now cleared up as of day 12. Thank goodness. That was not a fun time.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »
Day 13

Exercise
• 60 minutes HIIT - 571 calories burnt!!

Nutrition
• Mashed cauliflower & turkey burger for lunch
• crispy pork belly & baked potato for dinner
• garlic chicken sausage at some point for additional protein (turns out I really don't like these much, noted.)
• sparkling water

Weight
• -4.4lbs - holding steady from yesterday.

I pushed myself WAY hard at the gym today and am now fighting off nausea. Going to take it a little easy (I hit a PR of 9.5mph on the treadmill, though, wow) and relax/cook for the week. I see a big batch of cauli mash in my future. I wanted to hold off on buying more groceries until the month was over, and I may be able to hold out for another week, but I'm almost completely out of produce so I need to bite the bullet and just buy more after I finish up my cauli-rice/mash. I think I can get away with another bag of potatoes, a head of cauliflower/frozen florets, and some cole slaw mix for potentially another round of egg-roll in a bowl.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2019, 07:49:13 PM »
It is official that I'm cooking again.  I set off the smoke alarm tonight.  I made parsnips by just frying/steaming with cut up onion in coconut oil.  I'll put half in the fridge so tomorrow I have a left over tuna cake, a cooked hamburger, and parsnips.  Should be enough to keep me compliant.  I'll pop a potato into the air fryer if I need more basic calories.  I'm depending on the raisens and dates less now.

I'm also going to the gym and walking on the treadmill.  I'm  not asking much of myself at this point other than to just get off the couch and get on the treadmill.  The gym is only about a mile from me.  I don't walk to the gym, I'm not that hardcore yet.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2019, 07:58:09 PM »
It is official that I'm cooking again.  I set off the smoke alarm tonight.  I made parsnips by just frying/steaming with cut up onion in coconut oil.  I'll put half in the fridge so tomorrow I have a left over tuna cake, a cooked hamburger, and parsnips.  Should be enough to keep me compliant.  I'll pop a potato into the air fryer if I need more basic calories.  I'm depending on the raisens and dates less now.

I'm also going to the gym and walking on the treadmill.  I'm  not asking much of myself at this point other than to just get off the couch and get on the treadmill.  The gym is only about a mile from me.  I don't walk to the gym, I'm not that hardcore yet.
Sounds like good progress! Clean eating and moving more is always good. :-)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:58 AM »
Day 18.

My sleep the last week or so has been disappointingly mediocre. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough carbs.
Anyone have this experience?
(My period-related bad sleep shouldn't hit for another week)

Today:

Breakfast: asparagus and a fried egg
Snack: Apple
Lunch: zoodles, red sauce, and meatballs
Snack: celery and peanut butter
Dinner: ????

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »
Day 14

Exercise
• 60 minutes HIIT - 538 calories burnt

Nutrition
• Mashed cauliflower & crispy pork belly
• beef burger & baked potato for dinner
• garlic chicken sausage at some point for additional protein
• sparkling water

Weight
• -2.6lbs - up in weight

I'm up in weight almost 2lbs from yesterday, I'm assuming it's hormonal and/or water weight since it would be impossible for me to have eaten almost +7,000 calories over my TDEE over the last two days. I did have some pork belly with dinner, which is salty/fatty (so good) so that may have made me retain a little water. No biggie. We still have PLENTY of time to go. Halfway there!

This is actually not a difficult way of eating. I do miss dairy more than anything, but I have a ton of cheese in the fridge/freezer that I haven't touched and I don't feel like I am especially depriving myself. I also want to eat the boxes of Quest Bars I have in my pantry and at work, but more out of a desire to not waste food than anything else. Good thing they keep for a while!

I am going to try to eventually wean myself off of the LaCroix, but I want my diet soda habit to drop out for good. So far, so good. I'll keep the bubbly water around for now, then wean to water with lemon/lime.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:57:06 AM by lexde »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
Day 18.

My sleep the last week or so has been disappointingly mediocre. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough carbs.
Anyone have this experience?
(My period-related bad sleep shouldn't hit for another week)

Today:

Breakfast: asparagus and a fried egg
Snack: Apple
Lunch: zoodles, red sauce, and meatballs
Snack: celery and peanut butter
Dinner: ????

I sleep the worst when I'm dehydrated. Make sure you're getting enough electrolytes (salt+magnesium+potassium) and water. Low carb never affected my sleep, but sometimes having super meat-heavy days will.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
I sleep the worst when I'm dehydrated. Make sure you're getting enough electrolytes (salt+magnesium+potassium) and water. Low carb never affected my sleep, but sometimes having super meat-heavy days will.
I have been mildly dehydrated. Good reminder. :)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
Hey, y'all!  I was on the official W30 site and found that some of the Great Value (Walmart) frozen dinners are W30 compliant!  Not the cheap ones I usually get, but as something to have on hand when I just. Can't. Stand. To. Cook. Again. It may make the difference between going a week again and going the 30 days.  I'll head over and get a couple to try, you know, for the team.

Coconut Chicken Curry...

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2019, 08:31:41 AM »
Day 15 (Halfway!)

Exercise
• rest day

Nutrition
• Coldbrew coffee, nutpods x2
• Mashed cauliflower & beef burger & pickle spears for lunch
• beef burger & baked potato for dinner
• garlic chicken sausage at some point for additional protein
• sparkling water

Weight
• didn't weigh in today

You guys I am so mad. I picked up more sparkling water yesterday from Walmart Grocery Pickup in some new flavors just to change things up, and thought that the apple flavor was good but a little too sweet for my liking. Guess what? It's packed full of aspartame.

Rules of W30 mean I start over. I may or may not, we'll see how things are going on day 30 (I'm leaning toward extending it until March 14 now). But I am so mad. I drank a liter of it yesterday and didn't think much of it, but woke up this morning with a sore jaw (turns out that my teeth grinding/clenching is most likely aspartame-related, since it's been a chronic issue until I started W30) and bloated. I just thought I was having an "off"/hormonal day, and poured another glass of apple fizzy water to start my day. I wanted to see what flavors they listed in the ingredients for apple, and BOOM. Aspartame.

La Croix? Nothing bad in it.
Trader Joe's? Nothing bad in it.
Polar? Nothing bad in it. Even the AMAZING orange-vanilla flavor that tastes like a Dreamcicle.
F*cking Great Value? Garbage chemicals in it. Why.

Okay, rant over. But I guess no label can be trusted.

I'm going to cook some more egg roll in a bowl for lunches this week W-F. I still need to find something to do with my chicken thighs -maybe this "honey" mustard chicken?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2019, 08:51:19 AM »
UG that sucks Lexde!! :( I'm sorry you got sneak attacked. If you start over, sound cool. If you don't start over, sounds cool. There are no W30 police here, as you have said. <3

Yeah. I have a bit of an issue with sparkling water. I like it. :D But it generates a ton of waste (I don't have a soda stream), and I never know what "natural flavors" really means.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN???

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »
I stumbled upon this recipe while looking for something to do with my chicken thighs and I am really intrigued!

https://passtheplants.com/vegan-ground-beef

Completely plant-based "meat substitute". I am not 100% sure how much I'd like it, but I wouldn't mind making a batch (apparently makes the equivalent of 3 pounds of ground beef) and then going half-and-half with meat if I'm not into it.

Cost analysis. Having to purchase everything (i.e. whole garlic bulb):

1 head of cauliflower, broken into large florets ($2.97)
8 ounces crimini or baby portobello mushrooms ($2.17)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces ($0.88)
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces ($0.72)
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled ($0.60)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I use the julienne cut, packed dry) ($3.29, trader joe's)
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas), or walnuts ($2.36)

Total: $12.99, or $4.33 per "pound".
Compared to extra-lean ground beef: $5.47/lb for 96%, or $4.00/lb for 93%.

It would be obviously cheaper to scale it up into a double batch. Which would mean an extra head of cauliflower, double-mushrooms, an extra yellow onion. Everything else is included in the above purchase price.

Total for double-batch: $18.85, or $3.14 per "pound".

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »
I had to go to two Walmart's to find the W30 approved frozen bowls but I got 4.  Tried the Rosemary Chicken last night.  Report is:  It meets the need, I was satisfied.  It has a vinegar based taste, which is different for me.  Not bad, but I realized how much I expect everything to taste sweet.  It has blurbs about W30 all over the box.  I checked the ingredients.  Some of the vague wording means I wouldn't have risked it if it wasn't listed on the W30 site.  The funny thing is, down in one corner where they list problematical ingredients for people it says 'contains milk'.  I didn't see it actually listed, so maybe it is a generic label?

Three days in I'm starting to get nervous.  I need to thaw some more hamburger/get a rotisserie chicken/get some pork chops.  One or more of the above.  I need to cook at least one of the potatoes/sweet potatoes.  I need to think about food again.  The day is young.  I also need to get another bunch of bananas as that is breakfast for me.  Seriously, the frozen bowls will be what keeps me able to do this.  I normally live on the cheap Great Value dinners.  The bowls are $5, and my usual dinners are $1.88.  Too expensive to have everyday.  I'm being forced to cook, which is actually my main reason for doing this.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2019, 10:42:18 AM »
UG that sucks Lexde!! :( I'm sorry you got sneak attacked. If you start over, sound cool. If you don't start over, sounds cool. There are no W30 police here, as you have said. <3

Yeah. I have a bit of an issue with sparkling water. I like it. :D But it generates a ton of waste (I don't have a soda stream), and I never know what "natural flavors" really means.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
From what I understand, it's an "essence" derived from the peels of whatever fruit the flavor purports to be. Sort of like an extract. But who knows, really.

I do want to get a soda-stream and hack it like Frugalwoods did here. Sodastream does sell "essence" for $4.99 per flavor, which makes 20L of flavored seltzer/water. That's $0.25 per liter if you go recommended strength, which is about 1/3 of what I pay for "off-brand" seltzer ($0.79 per liter) and about 1/8 of what a $2.00 2-liter of brand-name soda costs (which, I can't believe how expensive soda has gotten when it's not on sale).

@shadowmoss - just as a word of caution, 99.9% of rotisserie chickens contain added sugar. Why? I don't know. But they do.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
I stumbled upon this recipe while looking for something to do with my chicken thighs and I am really intrigued!

Completely plant-based "meat substitute". I am not 100% sure how much I'd like it, but I wouldn't mind making a batch (apparently makes the equivalent of 3 pounds of ground beef) and then going half-and-half with meat if I'm not into it.

I think it's worth a shot if you are interested in trying something different.  But from what I can tell the macro-nutritional profile is (as expected) pretty different from beef.  IMO you'd get better nutritional bang-for-your-buck with beef + broccoli/mushrooms with some sweet potato on the side.  Not to mention flavor, but I realize this is going to be subjective  :P

One thing I'm pretty sure of: the higher fat and protein content in beef is going to make it a lot more satiating than the veggies.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »

I think it's worth a shot if you are interested in trying something different.  But from what I can tell the macro-nutritional profile is (as expected) pretty different from beef.  IMO you'd get better nutritional bang-for-your-buck with beef + broccoli/mushrooms with some sweet potato on the side.  Not to mention flavor, but I realize this is going to be subjective  :P

One thing I'm pretty sure of: the higher fat and protein content in beef is going to make it a lot more satiating than the veggies.
That's very true! I could use it as a "mix-in" just to get additional veggies and stretch my meat further, but satiety is definitely something to consider.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2019, 11:36:04 AM »
That's very true! I could use it as a "mix-in" just to get additional veggies and stretch my meat further, but satiety is definitely something to consider.

It does sound like an interesting side dish or snack -- perhaps with egg it would make a tasty omelette or frittata.  I could see combining it with ground beef for a slightly different texture/flavor too.

I might even try this, or a variation reflecting ingredients I have on hand.  Thanks for the link!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
I often read veggie cookbooks to get ideas for more veggies day to day. I tend to be in a big rut in winter - root veggies, squash, and salad on repeat. This recipe looks very intriguing! Thanks for sharing!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
:D Yeah!
I eat meat (more this month than typical) but I prefer/have a goal to be veggie heavy. So I'm glad we're sharing recipes and ideas and weird things we find. It makes me happy. :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »
Day 19.
Hollaaaaa.

Breakfast: A big salad with olives and leftover meatballs
Snack: Banana
Lunch: Egg bake (eggs, carrots, a bell pepper, sweet potatoes... it's very orange...) and the last of the meatballs
Snack: Peanut butter and an apple
Dinner: ??? MYSTERY GAME of what's in the fridge.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »

WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
From what I understand, it's an "essence" derived from the peels of whatever fruit the flavor purports to be. Sort of like an extract. But who knows, really.

I do want to get a soda-stream and hack it like Frugalwoods did here. Sodastream does sell "essence" for $4.99 per flavor, which makes 20L of flavored seltzer/water. That's $0.25 per liter if you go recommended strength, which is about 1/3 of what I pay for "off-brand" seltzer ($0.79 per liter) and about 1/8 of what a $2.00 2-liter of brand-name soda costs (which, I can't believe how expensive soda has gotten when it's not on sale).

@shadowmoss - just as a word of caution, 99.9% of rotisserie chickens contain added sugar. Why? I don't know. But they do.

That stinks!  I also found out the hard way that some sparkling water has aspartame in it.  Once you find the brands you can trust, it's pretty easy, but occasionally I'll spot a new flavor on an end-cap display in the grocery store and then get sad when I realize it's the type with aspartame.

I just bought a Sodastream and am really liking it.  I also got 2 bottles of that flavoring from them, and like it too.  I find I like to use a little less than their recommended serving to get it to taste what it's like from the cans, in case that's helpful for your math :)  A full half teaspoon per liter, which is what they recommend, (I did measure!) made it taste too strong.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:04 AM »
@SquashingDebt
I've been considering a SodaStream (or something similar) for literally years. XD Someday it will likely happen.
I'm glad to know that people are getting good use out of them. :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »
Day 20.
Zoom zoom! The month is chugging forward.

I need to make a food plan and cook some more-- I'm pretty low on Stuff To Eat right now.

Question for the gang:
I love making saag. Previously I've made naan to go along with it and eat it with, as it needs "something" to sop it up. Generally that's rice or naan. :(
Anyone have good Whole30 ideas for a side-food to help eat Saag with??

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2019, 08:18:32 AM »
Day 20.

I need to make a food plan and cook some more-- I'm pretty low on Stuff To Eat right now.

Question for the gang:
I love making saag. Previously I've made naan to go along with it and eat it with, as it needs "something" to sop it up. Generally that's rice or naan. :(

That's my w30 bane =( I like rice for sopping up curries and the like, and eat tons of those. I know a lot of people use cauli rice, but I can't abide the flavor. *gag*

So no advice. Just sympathy!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2019, 08:20:47 AM »
Day 20.

Question for the gang:

That's my w30 bane =( I like rice for sopping up curries and the like, and eat tons of those. I know a lot of people use cauli rice, but I can't abide the flavor. *gag*

So no advice. Just sympathy!
Cauli rice might work.... HMMM...
Or Cauliflower + Parsnip combined???
I might have to experiment.

( I MISS NAAN OKAY GUYS. I REALLY DO )

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
Day 16

Exercise
• rest day

Nutrition
• Drip coffee, nutpods x2
• frozen cherries & fruit/nut snack bag for breakfast
• beef patty & baked potato for lunch
• turkey burger for dinner with unknown side
• sparkling water

Weight
• didn't weigh in today

I'm pretty tired this morning, didn't weigh in because it's just one of those mornings where I'm not feeling it. A lot of stress at work, so I'm just doing the bare minimum on everything else for now. I've been on an artichoke kick lately (mostly canned, admittedly) but I want to make this recipe since they are hands-down my favorite vegetable and this is super easy. I just need to get a bag of frozen 'chokes now and sub butter for ghee.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
Not technically allowed, as it duplicates a not allowed food, but made from compliant ingredients:  plantain tortilla, or naan.  Basically take a green plantain, slit the peel and microwave for 5 min or so, peel and put into a food processor with some salt, process until it is a ball of 'dough'.  Roll out, portion into balls, flatten and cook like naan, in a hot skillet.  I haven't tried it yet, it is on the list.

https://www.aspicyperspective.com/magic-plantain-tortillas/

I did a bit of a fall off the wagon.  I went to Golden Corral to celebrate a friend's birthday.  The Bourbon Street Chicken was probably not compliant, although it wasn't saucy or sweet really.  The cabbage as well as the grilled squash may have had non compliant oil, the roast and potatoes may have had flour in the broth even though I drained it off before I put it on my plate.  All in all it met my own goals.  I ate many more vegetables than I do when I'm there, and I am now satiated on the day I fell off the W30 last time I tried.  Last time it was a donut so I'm ahead of that.  I have a lot of food related things to unlearn/relearn, so I'm good with this.  I may consider this a practice couple of weeks, and get totally strict starting the 1st.  I'm playing it by ear.  I will continue to follow the guidelines for now.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2019, 11:04:21 PM »
@SquashingDebt
I've been considering a SodaStream (or something similar) for literally years. XD Someday it will likely happen.

If it helps your decision making, I had also been considering buying a Soda Stream for literally years (maybe like 7?) and the only thing I thought after buying it was "Why the heck did I wait so long?!"  :)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »
@SquashingDebt

If it helps your decision making, I had also been considering buying a Soda Stream for literally years (maybe like 7?) and the only thing I thought after buying it was "Why the heck did I wait so long?!"  :)

I got a Soda Stream as a Christmas present about 5 years ago, and it's been sitting unopened in the basement ever since.  We drink a lot of Polar Springs at our house...you all have me thinking that I should give the Soda Stream a shot.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
@SquashingDebt

I got a Soda Stream as a Christmas present about 5 years ago, and it's been sitting unopened in the basement ever since.  We drink a lot of Polar Springs at our house...you all have me thinking that I should give the Soda Stream a shot.
Or, another option, if you don't want it, is I'll buy it off you. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
There are also SO many used soda streams on FB marketplace. You can pick them up cheap. I lurvvvvvv ours.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »
Day 9:  Today is the first day I have been challenged by forbidden foods.  I let myself get too hungry.  I have since gone to the store and gotten some meat and eggs and bananas to tide me over.  I ran out of bananas a couple of days ago, so my day hasn't started well.  I have relied on the frozen W30 approved bowl once more.  This time I'm not feeling all that different, but I think that it is more subtle this time.  I feel good, as in I'm fine, not much hurts.  Nothing dramatic so far.  I'll take that, actually.  I don't miss sugar as much as I thought I would, and I don't eat as many dates and raisens as I was at first.  I do miss bread as something to wrap around stuff to eat it.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2019, 07:32:20 AM »
Day 20

Exercise
• HIIT 60 minutes - going for the class in about 15 minutes so no calories burnt yet!

Nutrition
• Cold brew coffee, nutpods x2
• turkey burger & sauteed artichokes (with ghee, thyme, Herbs de Provence, S&P and aleppo pepper)
• eggroll in a bowl for dinner
• frozen cherries
• sparkling water

Weight
• -4.2lbs

Sorry for being radio silent for a few days. I've just been on cruise control. I did go grocery shopping again as I have been eating a TON of frozen fruit and veggies. But on the other hand, yay, I've been eating a ton of frozen fruit and veggies. My new favorite snack is just a cup of frozen cherries, eaten one at a time as I'm playing videogames. Delicious. Weight is back down, and I'm pretty much just going through the motions. I haven't had any major temptations, just the Quest bars I want to chomp on when I need additional protein and don't want to make something, but honestly having frozen turkey/beef burgers ready to go is almost just as easy.

@Bracken_Joy - didn't even think about buying used! I could definitely see that being something that people buy/get as gifts and then say "nah I like Coca Cola/Pepsi better" and then being done after the novelty quickly wears off. I figure modifying it in any way would void the warranty anyway, so that is SUPER smart! I'll check that out.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
Day 9:  Today is the first day I have been challenged by forbidden foods.  I let myself get too hungry.  I have since gone to the store and gotten some meat and eggs and bananas to tide me over.  I ran out of bananas a couple of days ago, so my day hasn't started well.  I have relied on the frozen W30 approved bowl once more.  This time I'm not feeling all that different, but I think that it is more subtle this time.  I feel good, as in I'm fine, not much hurts.  Nothing dramatic so far.  I'll take that, actually.  I don't miss sugar as much as I thought I would, and I don't eat as many dates and raisens as I was at first.  I do miss bread as something to wrap around stuff to eat it.
The only temptation I have is when I let myself get too hungry too and/or don't plan meals/snacks far enough in advance. I find on W30 I am eating a lot MORE volume, too, so I always think I've made enough but I haven't. Who knew that you'd have to eat more unprocessed food to get all of your calories in?! But even when I feel that "challenge" it's more that I just want to eat something and not that I specifically want those bread/protein bars/sugar items - I just want FOOD. :-)

Have you tried endive at all? Those make really cute/crunchy/yummy "boats" for things like chicken salad, sandwich fixings, etc.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2019, 08:35:55 AM »
I took an intentional pause from my W30 (since I'm not doing it for the education of what foods I'm sensitive to, but as a habit forming mechanism for day-to-day life) to have a fancy meal with an old boss.
Back to it, now. :)
Planning on making this today: https://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »
May or may not be related to W30...

But in my HIIT class today I got "in the zone" for the first time ever while on the treadmills. Ignored the instructor (sorry Tim) and just cruised at 5mph at a 3% incline for over 20 minutes. I have never been able to just run, especially not that long or far. It wasn't easy, but it also wasn't difficult. My heart was pounding, but my legs were going, and I kept thinking, "seriously? I'm still running?"

When he called for walking recovery, I just kept going. Because I thought to myself, "I'm cruising, I can probably make it through the next walk AND the next block of push pace and all out without stopping, too." And I did. And again. And again.

So, 600 calories later, I can say I hit a new personal record. Yay!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
Day 21

Exercise
• HIIT 60 minutes - 501kcal.

Nutrition
• Egg roll in a bowl for lunch
• Apple
• Onion-burgers for dinner with maybe a baked potato
• frozen cherries
• sparkling water

Weight
• didn't weigh in this morning

So after yesterday, I wasn't at 100% in my HIIT class. Despite that, I STILL MANAGED TO HIT ANOTHER PR. Yes, over the last PR of yesterday. I ran 2 miles nonstop for the first time in my life ever. I didn't have quite the same "cruising" as I did yesterday, and I was already kind of achey, but I did it. I didn't run on the incline so my heart rate wasn't absurdly high the whole time like yesterday. Now, I've got 2 days off, so I'm looking forward to that recovery. Aleve & lots of water will be my friend today.

I've also noticed that when I work out really hard I do not want to eat anything for a while afterward. Does anyone else get like this?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
In the middle of the night last night I decided to come off the diet.  I haven't yet.  I tried to make a whole chicken in my instapot yesterday and basically ended up with boiled chicken rather than roasted.  I ate the veggies I'd cooked with it and pulled the meat off to cook into other things but my limited ability to cook seems to be my downfall yet again.  Added to the fact that I'm only noticing subtle changes this time.  My nose had stopped dripping, for one.  However, other minor issues are creaping up, such as the ringing in my ears got really loud last night.  All maybe unrelated.

I have learned even more this attempt and I will work more on cooking for myself while going mostly keto.  I'll probably do the W30 thing again next year and maybe make it the entire 30 days.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2019, 09:45:16 AM »
In the middle of the night last night I decided to come off the diet.  I haven't yet.  I tried to make a whole chicken in my instapot yesterday and basically ended up with boiled chicken rather than roasted.  I ate the veggies I'd cooked with it and pulled the meat off to cook into other things but my limited ability to cook seems to be my downfall yet again.  Added to the fact that I'm only noticing subtle changes this time.  My nose had stopped dripping, for one.  However, other minor issues are creaping up, such as the ringing in my ears got really loud last night.  All maybe unrelated.

I have learned even more this attempt and I will work more on cooking for myself while going mostly keto.  I'll probably do the W30 thing again next year and maybe make it the entire 30 days.
FWIW, the instant pot basically does what a slow cooker does, except faster. So if you want a roasted chicken, roasting it in the oven really is the way to go as it's easy to overcook and get "chicken mush" in the IP.

I wish you the best of luck with keto, and hope that you find something that works for you! This is a very temporary reset anyway, so we will all be shortly behind you. :-)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »
I forgot that yesterday I ate a plantain cooked in some ghee and lightly salted. I love plantains and they're very filling and cheap, too! About $0.50 and it was a solid meal for me albeit lacking in protein. I need to remember to pick these up more regularly, too. They're great as a side dish.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2019, 11:13:05 AM »
Learning to cook plantains is one of my goals.  I had them every morning for breakfast when I lived in Honduras and I miss them.  So far the air fryer seems the better of the options I tried.  Still working on technique.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2019, 08:06:54 PM »
Day 24

Exercise
• HIIT 60 minutes - 400-something kcal.

Nutrition
• cashews, freeze dried strawberries, coconut - lots of all
• So many almonds.
• Also some almond butter
• Fruit leather and a lara bar
• turkey burger
• an Apple

Weight
• didn't weigh in this morning

Today was BAD. I forgot to bring my packed lunch which meant no lunch. I had two of the cashew/coconut/strawberry packs which was good, but not as filling. Ate a bunch of almonds and almond butter on the way home (keep them in my car for this exact scenario) and had an apple and some fruit leather while my turkey burger cooked. Not a fun day for eating. At least I didn't go off-plan, although the fruit leather and lara bars (all compliant) were questionable choices.

Other than that, staying the course. I'm taking an extra day off the gym tomorrow and will get back in it Sunday. Working on flexibility training and stretching.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »
It's pretty great you made it work, though.