Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427460 times)

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1100 on: February 09, 2016, 08:48:09 PM »
Still lurking periodically but wanted to share that zoodles (zucchini noodles) are wonderful for anyone debating whether to try them. I have a spaghetti salad recipe that I love except for the whole pasta thing and kept debating what to do about the pasta since pasta and I are mortal enemies (spikes my blood sugar, doesn't keep me full, etc). I had been getting the proportions of veggies to pasta higher and higher but still had pasta so I tried zoodles as a replacement. The zoodles are wonderful. Glad I went with that instead. They don't get soggy either. At least not in my salad (think zesty italian dressing and your choice of cut veggies together with the zoodles, currently zoodles, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, olives and tomatoes). Oil and vinegar dressings seem to act to preserve the crunchiness of raw veggies for days on end. I like it so much that I am making it on a regular basis as a side dish (also great over a bed of spinach). Both my husband and my work friend say they prefer the version with the zucchini noodles to real pasta and I think its much better as well.

I think the best way to describe our current eating style is how many vegetables can I eat in one day. Sugar, grains, dairy and food additives are still extremely limited and will remain so. As a result, I will probably wander onto this thread every once and awhile. Hope everyone is doing well.

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #1101 on: February 09, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
One awesomely healthy side that is very easy to make is a handful of spinach heated and wilted with a little feta cheese on top. I don't really like spinach but the feta makes it pretty tasty. Throw that next to a couple eggs, half an avocado, some salsa and there's lunch.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1102 on: February 10, 2016, 12:16:06 AM »
Still lurking periodically but wanted to share that zoodles (zucchini noodles) are wonderful for anyone debating whether to try them.

How many folks here have invested in some sort of vegetable spiralizer? I have been using a carrot peeler for our zoodles (had them tonight with a fabulous meaty spaghetti sauce with tons of veggies in it - onion, garlic, bell peppers, celery and spinach).

If you're using one, what brand did you buy? is it worth the $$$? is it easy to use? is it easy to clean?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1103 on: February 10, 2016, 04:35:10 AM »
I really like spaghetti squash as pasta substitute.  It's easy and the taste and texture is great.  Just roast and scoop out. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1104 on: February 10, 2016, 04:38:20 AM »
I will have house guests Sunday into Monday morning and need to feed them a light lunch on Sunday, dinner on Sunday and breakfast on Monday.  I think I have dinner figured out but any ideas for things to serve that I could also have for lunch and breakfast?

jordanread

« Reply #1105 on: February 10, 2016, 06:11:47 AM »
Still lurking periodically but wanted to share that zoodles (zucchini noodles) are wonderful for anyone debating whether to try them.

How many folks here have invested in some sort of vegetable spiralizer? I have been using a carrot peeler for our zoodles (had them tonight with a fabulous meaty spaghetti sauce with tons of veggies in it - onion, garlic, bell peppers, celery and spinach).

If you're using one, what brand did you buy? is it worth the $$$? is it easy to use? is it easy to clean?

I use a mandoline to make zucchini into noodles. Works fine for me, plus I can use it for other things. I think mine is OXO that I got for like $10 at Target.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1106 on: February 10, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »
One awesomely healthy side that is very easy to make is a handful of spinach heated and wilted with a little feta cheese on top. I don't really like spinach but the feta makes it pretty tasty. Throw that next to a couple eggs, half an avocado, some salsa and there's lunch.

You can't have dairy on Whole30.  :D

I have an OXO julienne peeler to make zucchini and squash noodles.  'Tis awesome.  I paid about six bucks for it at Bed Bath and Beyond a few years ago.

And I totally blame 1967mama for my trip to the market yesterday to seek out Larabars.  They are delicious.  I CANNOT HAVE THEM IN MY POSSESSION.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1107 on: February 10, 2016, 07:10:47 AM »

I have an OXO julienne peeler to make zucchini and squash noodles.  'Tis awesome.  I paid about six bucks for it at Bed Bath and Beyond a few years ago.

And I totally blame 1967mama for my trip to the market yesterday to seek out Larabars.  They are delicious.  I CANNOT HAVE THEM IN MY POSSESSION.

:) Some people are in the re-intro phase. Some people don't follow Whole30 to the letter but still enjoy the general lifestyle and community.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1108 on: February 10, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »

We have one. Search "spiralizer" on Amazon.com, best seller with 4500+ reviews, $30. Definitely worth it, very easy to use, not too difficult to clean with a brush, but a sponge would be useless. We haven't purchased a spaghetti squash since the day we got it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1109 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:59 AM »

I have this one .  Love it.  I MO the spiral cut vegetables hold their shape better and don't stick together as much as straight cuts, so they're easier to mix with sauces and prettier too.  It's very easy to clean and easy to use.  If you're making veggie noodles for your whole crew I think it would be worth it.  I see they have a 5 blade one now for the same price.  They are kind of big and clutter though, so I wouldn't recommend if space is athe a premium in your kitchen.

ETA, actually, this is the one I have, but they seem pretty much  identical http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW3B5MM/ref=twister_B00PUEIQAW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:32:28 AM by horsepoor »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1110 on: February 10, 2016, 07:45:52 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Wow missed a lot over the past couple of days!

1967 mamma - We have a spiralizer that we got from my mom (she picked it up from the thrift store) apparently they are a pretty common item, so might be worth looking out for? I'm not sure of the brand maybe a paderno? but we like it, makes for much curlier noodles.

Awesome update and for going into your next Whole 30! We are at very similar stages (18 down to 10 and 40+ lbs lost) It is a super good feeling to be getting back to healthy, isn't it?

ZiziPB - Eggs would be the obvious choice, maybe over a nice hash? Or if you want to go super fancy you could make Eggs Benny and have the English muffins on hand for them and use a bed of veg for yours.

RE Dairy: - It took a couple of weeks to clear for me, partially is that there was a lot of gunk in my system that needed to be cleared out as well.  YMMV as far as  it goes, you might not notice a HUGE difference until you do reintro and it all comes flooding back. But one way or another, by the wend of Whole 30, you will be able to either adapt to the reality that it might be dairy or cross it off your list of possible causes.

Caoineag - Great to hear from you! I love the idea of zucchini pasta salad! I am definitely going to have to try!

Jordanread - Thank you for sharing your results thus far. What I have come to realize, having to undo a lot of damage that i have done, is getting back to healthy is more of a marathon than a sprint.  Even if you put a hold on doing the whole 30, please still use us a support if you need to :)

Spuggy - Great job on resisting pancake day!

Orvell - Good luck on your trip, it sounds like you are totally prepared to rock it Whole 30 Style!

I'm just trucking along. Don't think I want to start another strict Whole 30 at this point. Am eating about 99% (or more) Basically eating whole 30 at home and if we happen to go out and there are rice noodles in my Pho, I'm not going to worry about it. Am traveling at the end of the month to visit my extended family, who are all great cooks but have some of the worst food habits I have ever seen. THAT will be interesting!

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #1111 on: February 10, 2016, 09:12:03 AM »

:) Some people are in the re-intro phase. Some people don't follow Whole30 to the letter but still enjoy the general lifestyle and community.

Ah, my mistake. It is still very tasty though :)

I don't consider feta cheese dairy...but then again we consider bacon to be a vegetable ;)

Makes all those "vegetarian" meals quite tasty!!!

On a more serious note I've found that yogurt and cheese and cream are much better tolerated for me than milk. When introducing food back into the diet I would break up dairy into multiple groups, with milk separate.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1112 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
On a more serious note I've found that yogurt and cheese and cream are much better tolerated for me than milk. When introducing food back into the diet I would break up dairy into multiple groups, with milk separate.

So much this. Milk was by far the worst for me, and the effects seem to last a whole bunch longer. It is definitely worth it to split up the diary in your reintro! It helps you develop a baseline and expectations for how it will affect you. I don't sweat it if something I'm eating out may have a bit of butter or cheese in it, but I want it to be really worth it if I am going to have any ill effects at all.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1113 on: February 10, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
Hey gang,

Thanks for the awesome tips on spiralizers. I will be considering this purchase over the next few weeks.  I had forgotten about spaghetti squash, actually, so I may pick a few up and try that again. Last time I made it, I overcooked the squash and it was yucky:-/

Day 1 of my 4th Whole 30 went terrifically well! I ate 3 meals, plus an afternoon snack. That was a real change for me. I didn't realize how much extra food I was eating via snacking. At 3pm, I had a monkey bowl, and it tasted awesome! I was truly hungry, as in I could eat boiled fish and broccoli hungry!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1114 on: February 10, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
I totally just had a light bulb moment... I don't like cold food.  I never have. I just haven't really thought about it before.

I've always had crappy circulation, always have cold hands and feet, my body temp is over all slightly lower than normal. When I get sick my body temp usually goes down not up.

I've never really equated it to influencing food choices and appetite, but it does. I love fresh veggies and salad and stuff in the summer. But winter, when I'm already cold, I have no desire to eat them. Ditto for smoothies, drinks with ice, or really anything that isn't at least warm. I'm contemplating this as I am forcing myself to eat some cucumber slices with some Babaganoosh. I LOVE the flavors...but I have no desire to eat them. I think this is why it's been a struggle for me lately. 

It's kinda random, not really helpful to anyone I just thought it was rather interesting :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: February 10, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »
Hit send too early -- kids needed chow!

MandalayVA - sorry for enabling a desire for Larabars in you :-/

I went to the dentist for a cleaning this morning, and the hygienist was blown away by the health of my gums! She said that the tissue is similar to the tissues inside of you - your intestines, your liver, etc and so if your gums are healthy, apparently your inisides are healthy also. I was delighted! Benefit #482 of Whole30. She has a fair bit of weight to lose herself and wanted the website to check it out! yay!

Additionally, she hasn't seen me since July and as I walked in, she said, "You're glowing! Have you lost weight?" ::cue balloons and confetti dropping from the ceiling:: She was the first person outside my circle of family and friends to notice! I'm so psyched!

This was the perfect thing to happen to me on Day 2 of my 4th Whole30!

ETA: Hygienist just called me to say that everyone in the office noticed that I was happy and glowing! What a sweetie! I told her she made my day! She also turned 49 last month like me, and said she is excited to go home and read all about Whole30 and hopes I will see less of her next visit <wink>. How neat is that?! Maybe I have my first non-family convert? 1967dad and 1967daughter are totally on board!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:56:28 PM by 1967mama »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1116 on: February 10, 2016, 02:11:10 PM »
Interesting, Swick!  Have you ever experimented with yang (warming) foods?  Can't seem to paste a link on my phone, but they seem to be mostly paleo.

Are you trying to stay keto (unrelated question)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1117 on: February 10, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
I totally just had a light bulb moment... I don't like cold food.  I never have. I just haven't really thought about it before.

I've always had crappy circulation, always have cold hands and feet, my body temp is over all slightly lower than normal. When I get sick my body temp usually goes down not up.

I've never really equated it to influencing food choices and appetite, but it does. I love fresh veggies and salad and stuff in the summer. But winter, when I'm already cold, I have no desire to eat them. Ditto for smoothies, drinks with ice, or really anything that isn't at least warm. I'm contemplating this as I am forcing myself to eat some cucumber slices with some Babaganoosh. I LOVE the flavors...but I have no desire to eat them. I think this is why it's been a struggle for me lately. 

It's kinda random, not really helpful to anyone I just thought it was rather interesting :)
I totally understand this. 10000%

Salads for me in the winter are all but impossible. I've been enjoying wilting my greens just *slightly*; enough that they're warm, but it's still sort of 'salad-like' ?? Same with my fried egg + greens in the morning. I let the egg and greens sit for a few minutes so nothing is cold. XD The only way I could do smoothies in the winter was after I'd walked to work and my internal body temp was up from the exercise (and it was so much warmer inside than out, it tricked my internal thermometer, too)

:) Might be worth not trying to force yourself to eat something you're not into.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1118 on: February 10, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »
In the same vein as Swick's comments on noticing the preference for warm foods vs. cold foods, I am soooo freaking cold this winter! I've lost some of that insulating layer of fat! Yay!

My mom has been knitting me big, thick infinity scarves out of warm, non-scratchy wool and they are really helping. Also, socks, slippers, undershirts and copious amounts of hot tea are helping to keep me warmish. This is soooo unusual for me! I've always been the one in the room that is too warm while everyone else is freezing!

I can't wait to see what happens this summer because I'm always too hot and loathe the heat! hahah!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1119 on: February 10, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »
Interesting, Swick!  Have you ever experimented with yang (warming) foods?  Can't seem to paste a link on my phone, but they seem to be mostly paleo.

Are you trying to stay keto (unrelated question)

I am familiar with the Chinese Medicine beliefs, it's not something I have actively looked into myself, but looking at a list I do tend towards more yang foods. Thanks, horsepoor!

Also, I'm not really trying to specifically stay in keto, I haven't really been tracking one way or the other.

Will definitely try your heated greens Idea, Orvell.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1120 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
Swick - If you're ok with microwaving, I nuke my huge handful of spinach for 1 minutes while my eggs cook. The bit of water left on it from rinsing it seems to provide enough moisture to steam it. The way I used to do it before I discovered the microwaving piece was after the eggs were 3/4 cooked, I plopped a handful of spinach on top and put a lid on it to wilt it a bit. Then I flipped it out of the pan so the egg landed on top of the spinach and steamed it a little more.

We had an avocado emergency today! The ones I bought at a store I don't usually frequent tasted awful! My wonderful son went out to Walmart and got me a mesh bag of them ... and noticed that they were cheaper to buy in the bag than buying them loose .. hopefully raising a future mustachian!

I've got a spatchcocked chicken in the oven and loads of yellow potatoes baking underneath:-) Yum!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1121 on: February 10, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »

I use a mandoline to make zucchini into noodles. Works fine for me, plus I can use it for other things. I think mine is OXO that I got for like $10 at Target.

+1, I have a OXO mandolin and one of the attachments turns veggies into spaghetti. Didn't have to buy anything, just had to use that attachment (we actually had it for other reasons). I think spaghetti squash is great for anything requiring hot pasta but for cold pasta, the zoodles are fantastic because they also have a little crunch (hate soggy food).

Swick, I sympathize on cold food in the winter. Salads were never a thing I could eat in the winter. Since work is always too warm, its fine to eat cold things there but at home if I get too cold, I want boiling hot food. I have actually done better with this during this winter but the stair climbing I have been doing seems to keep my body temperature up because of all the muscle needing to be built and repaired. Running on the other hand seems to require something scalding hot to eat afterwards. Go figure.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #1122 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »
I'm back. My food choices have been pretty poor for the last couple months, though I have been very careful to not eat wheat. I am going to start my third whole30 tomorrow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1123 on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »
Welcome back Botonist! I just started again yesterday so we will be going along around the same pace.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1124 on: February 11, 2016, 04:10:40 AM »
Welcome Botanist!  Good to have another person joining us.

It's day 11 for me.  Doing fine on the program, except that now I have a full blown yucky cold with a lot of congestion and a bad cough.  I haven't been sick in years so I'm not sure if the timing is a coincidence or my body is telling me something.  Needless to say that I have no idea if not eating dairy affects my chronic nasal congestion or not ;-)

I've been drinking what seems like gallons of hot tea in the last couple of days - it helps with the misery of the cold.  Any food I eat tastes a bit off, so my normally hearty appetite seems subdued.  But I did crave a sweet treat last night in the worst possible way.  I had some walnuts instead...

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challenge, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1125 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:59 AM »
Hello, and welcome to Day 12!  (old school Canadian comedy reference)

Still doing well and keeping the Larabars in check, LOL.  I've also discovered cashew milk, which I will try to make this weekend.  I'm going to try flavoring it with an apple and cinnamon and see what happens. 

Like 1967mama  I also had eggs and spinach for breakfast today, the spinach being left over from last night's dinner (grass-fed NY strip steak cooked rare, mmm).  Chicken thighs, green beans and an apple for lunch; a pork shoulder steak and broccoli for dinner.

Sorry you're sick, Zizi, keep up with the tea, you're doing great!

Hello to all the returnees from this n00b.  :D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1126 on: February 11, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
Swick, I sympathize on cold food in the winter. Salads were never a thing I could eat in the winter. Since work is always too warm, its fine to eat cold things there but at home if I get too cold, I want boiling hot food. I have actually done better with this during this winter but the stair climbing I have been doing seems to keep my body temperature up because of all the muscle needing to be built and repaired. Running on the other hand seems to require something scalding hot to eat afterwards. Go figure.

Yep, I hear you. I also work from home, and try to keep the heat as low as possible, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well. My limbs tend to get cold and stay cold. Like if I go for a walk, I'll be fine. As soon as I come in, I'll have cold legs for the rest of the day and it takes forever to warm up enough to sleep. I am definitely the "warmth appropriator" in our house :)

1967mama We don't own a microwave, I keep tossing around the idea of getting one, it would cut down on a lot of the food prep/dishes eating this way seems to create. Not sure where I would put it though!

Welcome back, Botanist :)

ZiziPB - Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Hope you recover quickly and are kind to your body in the meantime!

MandalayVA - Great to hear you are doing well! Sounds like you have some good meals to look forward to!

Things are trucking along here. I made a surprisingly tasty curry with Ma Ploy Tamarind Curry paste, ground beef, cauliflower and coconut milk.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1127 on: February 12, 2016, 06:49:49 AM »
I am still miserable from my cold.  Cooked chicken soup early this morning so that I can have it for lunch (and dinner, most likely).  Otherwise doing all right.  I thought I would miss coffee badly, but I'm actually very happy with my morning black tea with lemon.  The second week so far has been much easier than the first.

Oh, and I decided to serve Nicoise salad for lunch when my guests arrive on Sunday.  I have some really good Italian tuna packed in olive oil, great free-range eggs from Costco and some nice olives, just need to get the rest of the ingredients tomorrow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1128 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:16 AM »
I have found a countdown app for my phone so that I don't lose track of what day I'm on. Kinda fun!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1129 on: February 13, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »
Feeling better today, so I went grocery shopping before the cold and wind pick up in the afternoon.  The forecast calls for -8F tonight! 

Had to get some stuff to feed my friends over the weekend so I ended buying things like cheese, crackers, bagels, deserts, etc.  And a bottle of wine.  I am determined to stick to the Whole 30 so I'm planning to make dishes I can eat for the most part and just skip the items I can't.  I think it will be OK.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #1130 on: February 13, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »
Ive been having a horrendous diet for the majority of 2016 so far, so now I'm serious about getting back on track. I won't be going full paleo, but will eliminate processed foods, sugar, dairy, and wheat.

So today I had:

-Hot lemon water with cayenne and ginger
-Hard boiled eggs with a cucumber/romaine salad dressed with lime
-Green juice containing: green superfoods powder, collagen, cinnamon, and spirulina (the powders are a little pricey, but they do have a pretty positive effect on how I feel)
-Roasted potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and homemade meatballs made with basil, garlic powder, egg, and grass-fed beef

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1131 on: February 14, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »
I survived a 3 day convention while out of town and living in a crowded hotel room, all the while staying on the Whole30 track! I think I need a ribbon for that...
I didn't eat amazing or interesting food. And my god I am fucking food exhausted today. But I did it. Amid a land of Cheetos and pizza and freely available junk food and danish, I ate hardboiled eggs, greens, fruits, and tuna salad that I stashed in a portable cooler.

Thank you to everyone for the ideas on portable Whole30 foods. :))

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1132 on: February 15, 2016, 06:00:33 AM »
Orvell, great job!  It's not easy to stick to it when there is lots of tempting non-compliant food around you.

I had weekend guests at the house but since I was the host I was in control of the food :-)  I served a Whole30 compliant lunch (Nicoise salad) and dinner (roasted pork tenderloin with red skin potatoes, braised red cabbage and roasted broccoli).  I served desert but skipped it myself (except for a couple of mandarin oranges).  For breakfast we had scrambled eggs, compliant chicken sausage and bread/bagels, so it was easy enough for me to not have any carbs.  All in all, a success.  Day 15 today!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1133 on: February 15, 2016, 06:26:05 AM »
I survived a 3 day convention while out of town and living in a crowded hotel room, all the while staying on the Whole30 track! I think I need a ribbon for that...

Will this do?

Zizi, glad that handling your weekend guests went so well!

Day 16 for me--past the halfway point!  I made vegetable beef soup for work lunches and cashew milk, which contrary to reports does need to be strained.  I had some cashews left over so I made cashew cream.  SO.  GOOD.  I ate about three spoonsful before mixing it into some creamy Italian salad dressing I made on Saturday with what was left of the avocado mayo.  When I initially made it I put in too much vinegar, but the cashew cream smoothed it out considerably. 

The soup will be good on this cold snowy day ...

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1134 on: February 17, 2016, 04:16:55 AM »
Day 17 for me.  Just two weeks left of the program.  I have been craving sweets for the last couple of days - I think it's my PMS talking ;-)  Otherwise doing well.  Eating this way has become pretty automatic by now.  Not feeling any benefits of it yet but I'm putting it down to the cold (most of it gone but some congestion and cough still lingering). 

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1135 on: February 17, 2016, 06:29:52 AM »
Zizi you're on fire! :D

Today is my day 29. It has been an interesting journey. My sad poops have come back, but I'm experimenting again to get them to go the fuck away. It's so hard to determine cause. Was it period-body-shenanigans? Was it dates acting as prunes? Was it not enough veg? All very possible. SCIENCE. We'll get there in the end. :)

I had a super uncomfortable conversation with one of my bosses-from-afar yesterday. I went to an award ceremony for my Actual Boss where she was honored by an organization for executive leadership. Cool! It also meant lots of free booze and deserts, of which I did not partake. Boss-from-afar basically heckled me? It was not comfortable. I had given my drink tickets to a colleague, and Boss-from-afar was teasing me if colleague was an alcoholic who begged them off me. "Did he have the shakes? Hahah!!"
Who the fuck thinks that's a funny joke topic? I'm 50% sure Boss-from-afar now thinks I'm pregnant too, because ~why else wouldn't a woman drink~

*grumble-grumble*

But Day 29. Hello. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1136 on: February 17, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
Glad to hear you are starting to feel better Zizi!

Way to Go Orvell! You are almost there! Have you thought about a plan for your re-intro? Way sucky about the boss-from-afar. What an ass hat. At least he isn't your immediate boss. We gave away our drink tickets for Hubby's staff Christmas party and no one really batted an eye, it is pretty clear that what we have been doing has been working for us.

For me, it was huge, I'm definitely on the introverted side of the social scale and the idea of getting through a big social event and making that much small talk usually requires at least a little liquid courage. The fact I could do it without was really eye opening for me.

We've had a week of poultry thus far. Roasted a duck on Sunday, had paleo lemon chicken on Monday and yesterday threw the leftover chicken into a quick crockpot butter chicken sauce. Gearing up to leave  for a week and a half so trying to make sure Hubs has enough food options. He has said the hardest part of this process for him is he doesn't really know what to cook as all of his standbys are carb/grain based. He is learning though :)

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1137 on: February 17, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
Hello! I would like to join this little group :) I registered just for this thread, actually, even though I've been lurking for months.  I started Whole30 on Ash Wednesday (even though I am not religious).  I had mad headaches for 4 days, but now I'm on a roll.  My biggest beef about the whole thing is that food is so boring to me right now.  All the social interaction that goes with eating with friends is gone, and I've been short on time and interest this week so basically having the same foods as I had last week.  I would love a breakfast idea that isn't apple and almond butter or eggs, because I don't love eggs, but I've eaten them a few mornings.  Other mornings is the apple or leftovers...

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1138 on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »
Welcome, Amanda!  (waves)

Yeah, the food can get a little boring, but I've been going through my spice and herb cabinet to help.  Penzey's BBQ 3000 mix improves just about everything.  :D

Day 18 for me with an experiment--a take-out salad.  I ordered Italian dressing, but if it turns out to be bad I can get oil and vinegar from the cafeteria.

Let's keep doing this, people!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1139 on: February 17, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »
Hello! I would like to join this little group :) I registered just for this thread, actually, even though I've been lurking for months.  I started Whole30 on Ash Wednesday (even though I am not religious).  I had mad headaches for 4 days, but now I'm on a roll.  My biggest beef about the whole thing is that food is so boring to me right now.  All the social interaction that goes with eating with friends is gone, and I've been short on time and interest this week so basically having the same foods as I had last week.  I would love a breakfast idea that isn't apple and almond butter or eggs, because I don't love eggs, but I've eaten them a few mornings.  Other mornings is the apple or leftovers...

Welcome, AmandaPanda!

I hear you on the breakfasts. It has been our biggest struggle because hubs doesn't really like eggs. Monkey bowls are a good option -  Banana (I fry them up with some cinnamon and coconut oil) with toasted coconut, a splash of coconut milk and almond butter. You can use other fruit too.

Also, thinking of meals as Meal 1 Meal 2Meal 3 (instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner) helps as well. Makes leftovers or savory breakfasts more palatable.

After MUCH deliberation, I started making Crepes for hubs out of Chestnut flour for breakfasts, All compliant ingredients, although would for most people fall into the SWYPO catagory. 

For us, it made completing the whole 30 and staying on this lifestyle after a million times easier. Especially because he works so early in the morning. Throwing a couple of crepes in the toaster oven, heating up a quick filling makes it all work. These days we do buckwheat flour crepes as we are not "officially" on the whole 30.

Some people still do smoothies on their whole 30, personally, I have less of a problem with the crepes, because they are not trigger food for us and they are still nutrient dense whole foods.  You have to figure out what works for you, just sharing our experiences. I think the really big thing is learning to be conscious of your food choices and why you are eating what you are eating, while still getting all the nutrients you need to repair your body and flourish.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey, welcome again :D

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1140 on: February 17, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
I would love a breakfast idea that isn't apple and almond butter or eggs, because I don't love eggs, but I've eaten them a few mornings.  Other mornings is the apple or leftovers...

Leftovers. Technically we eat leftovers for every meal except breakfast, but I don't mind eggs and have them every day.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1141 on: February 17, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
Welcome Amandapanda!

I detested eggs for breakfast when I started my first whole30 back in October 2015 and now my day would not feel complete without them! I had to find a way I liked them. I tried poached (ok), scrambled (yuck), and fried. I found that 2 fried eggs with broken yolks over easy is just like an omelette. I put a huge handful of spinach on a plate, wash it and microwave it 1 minute. I add 1/2 a diced avacado to the finished plate. I often throw on a handful of cherry tomatoes. This is NOT like me to eat eggs every day, and certainly not heaping with vegetables! Haha! Leftover potato chunks fried up in clarified butter with salt and pepper or a small yam microwaved around 4 minutes makes it fancier in weekends. Or fried up bell peppers, onions and zucchini. I amnot an eat-the-same-thing-every-day kind of person, yet here we are! Hahah. Hope your Whole30 goes well. I've experimented a bit and have found some terrific recipes for preventing food boredom. Nomnompaleo is excellent!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:40:00 AM by 1967mama »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1142 on: February 17, 2016, 10:57:59 AM »
Sitting down to this breaky just now! Yummmm! one egg only because I had popped a hard boiled one earlier when I had to drive my son to a job.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1143 on: February 17, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
Swick - Monkey Bowls sound delish! I will have to give that a try soon.

The only eggs I've eaten so far for breakfast were in the form of shakshuka, which I really like, but is strong for an every day breakfast.

Mama - I have to think over your egg suggestions.  I like all the stuff you're putting with the eggs, so maybe!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1144 on: February 17, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
Another word on Eggs - Please buy them from Happy Chickens. I know a large part of MMM is saving $$$ but the taste difference and nutrition makes the splurge totally worth it.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1145 on: February 17, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
Hey everyone!  I've been MIA and have been stuck in what seems like the perfect storm preventing me from getting back to my Whole30 eating. I've been dealing with birthday parties (which includes restaurants with nothing on plan), birthday treats, lay-offs at work (I'm ok but have new, unwanted responsibilities), and fighting a bad cold (which means no energy for food planning and prep). Then next week I'm traveling for work.

With all of this going on, my Sugar Dragon was full force and I've caved to temptation too many times. I'm finally back to day 3 of no sugar, so between that and my cold, my head has been raging war on me. I just love it when my head feels like it's going to explode. :-) I feel your pain ZipiPB.

My plan is to start my next Whole30 round after I get back from my work trip. I'll likely start on Febr 28 or 29.

Welcome AmandaPanda!  For breakfast, I do a rotation of different types of eggs also to help with the monotony....but I do also like eggs. :-)  For example, one week I'll make the Mini Frittatas from NomNomPaleo, and will eat that all week.  Another week I'll go hard boiled eggs with something else on the side like fruit and veggies. And so on.... But, I think the key is also to get into the mind set of Meal1, 2, 3 as Swick mentioned.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1146 on: February 17, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
My Monkey bowls look like this:
1 banana, sliced
1 tablespoon of almond butter
2 tablespoons of coconut cream (put a can of compliant coconut milk in the fridge and the cream will rise to the top! I keep 2 cans in there at all times now. One open and one ready to open)
1 tablespoon of coconut
*one diced Medjool date - optional and only if I realllllly want one. Usually I don't because for me, it's bordering on SWYPO

All this talk of monkey bowls has me planning one for my 3pm afternoon "snack."  We eat dinner late so it's kind of a mini meal for me. I can't make it from lunch to dinner without a smallish meal (like Swick's idea: meal 1, meal 2, meal 3 etc. I've been really focussing on ordering my eating properly on this fourth Whole30 -- first protein, then vegetables, then fruit -- to slow down my glycemic response.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1147 on: February 17, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
I'm getting comfortable taking standard recipes and adjusting them to make them Whole30 compliant. Today I've done some chicken filets in ththe crockpot with onions, apple juice and Mrs. Dash. My kitchen currently stinks because I'm making a balsamic reduction! Haha! Will make it look pretty like the recipe showed but with avacado slices, a tomato slice, and a circle of bell pepper. Serving with oven potatoes, frozen mixed veggies and lots of clarified buttah!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1148 on: February 18, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »
All this talk about monkey bowls made me have one for breakfast this morning :-)  Yum!  I made them before but had no idea that they were called monkey bowls.  I mixed some flax seed and cinnamon into the coconut milk, added a banana and some chopped apple, a few walnuts and a bit of almond butter.  Very filling.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1149 on: February 18, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »
Another word on Eggs - Please buy them from Happy Chickens. I know a large part of MMM is saving $$$ but the taste difference and nutrition makes the splurge totally worth it.

^^^^^^^
THIS.  I love eggs so I spring for the good local ones even if they do cost $6/dozen (sometimes closer to seven if I get them at Whole Foods).

In other news, I have solved the gelatin/nut milk problem.  Milk + heat + gelatin + small amount of apple juice = very easy to take gelatin! 

Day 19 and things are still going well.  Let's go, everybody!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!