Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427565 times)

Liz

• Stubble
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
The main reason I did a second W30 was to see if it had any effects on my asthma and allergies.  After about two months of eating clean, I can definitely see some improvements. It's still going to take some time though --- I've read stories about people were able to get rid of their asthma medications after one month, and that's not me -- but that's okay. Allergy symptoms have gotten a LOT better. No runny or stuffy nose!

I see the weight loss as a side effect, not as the reason for eating this way. But I'm not going to lie, it's a nice side effect... I've been wearing some jeans I haven't been able to fit in awhile, and as a result, I can go longer without doing laundry. Win-win situation, for sure.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2015, 10:08:42 PM »
Changes - it's pretty hard to parse them out because I started losing weight the SAD way, played around with a low meat type diet, and then went more slow-carb to paleo over the course of a few years.  So it's not like I lost the weightby starting out paleo.  In fact, I lost the last 10# or so on the slow carb diet and got more interested in paleo once I was in maintenance mode.  I also got way more fit during that time, so it's hard to say what part was diet and what part was exercise.

Anyway, I think the most notable thing for me was getting rid of acid reflux/heartburn completely.  I also am just moreclear-minded and mentally sharp.  When I'm doing Whole30 I sleep like a rock, even though I've always slept pretty well.

In terms of appearance - again, it's hard to say what part is only the weight loss, because I started dressing better and became more confident - add that to the increased mental acuity, and people are bound to respond to me  differently.  I definitely have an easier time dressing now - before I was right between the regular and plus sizes, and nothing really fit right.  If anything, I went a little too crazy with buying new clothes - spent too much and ended up with stuff I didn't end up wanting to keep.

It's great having more energy and just being more athletic and up for anything. My husband won a trip to Peru this spring that involved a 3-day trek at high elevation. I never would have been able to make that trip in the past, but it was no problem.  I can't imagine how disheartening it would have been to miss out on an opportunity like that because of my physical condition.  I'm also way more balanced and confident on horseback, and don't feel like I'm taxing my horses with my weight.

Hmm, yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »
Wow! So much awesomeness!

Few developments - Tried to have a chunk of cheese before bedtime. Within an hour, my sinuses were stuffed and I couldn't breath through my nose comfortably - took about 14 hours to return to normal. It took a two full days to feel normal after trying the gluten/wheat. So between those two, no wonder I was a walking disaster of undiagnosable illnesses.

On the bright side, Hubby is trying Keto with me! He said there was only about one week of the entire whole 30 where he was actually feeling a noticeable improvement and it was after all the initial ickies and before he started eating more carbs. I never thought he would try it, but he seems keen :)

Although, it might have something to do with the coffee flavored Keto gummy bears I made for him to take for his lunches (most of the carbs he eats is fruit and strach veggies in his lunches and while he is away from home.

Still have to figure out breakfasts for him again! Man am I glad I like eggs.

Okay to Faraday's questions:

1) Health changes. I mean DETAILS. Things like:

- where on your body did you lose weight the fastest? Face for sure, and it is awesome, I have always been self-conscious of my chin/neck area because a particularly mean girl in school called me "Frog face" because of my double chin. I've had issues with online video interactions, damn cameras are NEVER at a good angle! which for my job, is not great. I've been just feeling more confident overall and it comes across because I'm not worried about how I look.

Where did you lose weight the slowest? It seems like it has been pretty even

- how did you do with clothes? Did you find it easier, harder, or no different to find clothes that fit (or pull old clothes out). I've always been a very weird size. One of those very busty but small ribcage kinda gals so nothing ever fits. I have noticed that smaller sizes are at least fitting better now. Kicking myself becuase I did a Kondo style closet clean up 3 or so months ago, of several bags of cloths I would now fit into. Ahh well :)

- what chronic problems lessened or disappeared? Chronic Sinitus and Fibro, insomnia, leg cramps
- what things dramatically improved? Sleep! Sense of smell and taste for me as well, due to not being stuffed up all the time. ability to listen to my body, energy levels
- what unexpected things changed? My relationship with my husband, my confidence, my non-introvert side is coming out to play more.
- anyone saving money by doing away with doctor visits or drugs or both? good old Canadian health care.  Although I haven't been going, so that is saving resources that other people need?

2) Social changes:
- what kinds of comments do you get while on your journey? (both good and bad?) "Sugar is horrible stuff, here...have some chocolate" Hubs dad is extremely fat-phobic, so we have had a few comments there, I think it will get much worse because the "30-day" experiment is over.
- What's the most dramatic turn-around you've seen in someone's behavior since "before" and "after"? My mom is going to be doing the next round with us. While she has always been the most supportive out of everyone, the fact that she is inspired and has seen enough improvement in us that she is actually making the time and taking care of herself is awesome beyond words. - Although I feel like both hubs and my behaviour is so night and day different from where we were, I wouldn't recognize us.
- Have you enjoyed any new social benefits? (like MMM talks about, for example) Does this group count? ;) I love you guys and gals!
- Do you think the changes have given you benefits at work, at home or with family? oh yeah! In energy levels and confidence and ability to concentrate and actually get some work done. I have been trying to get this damn book out and it has taken YEARS because I couldn't sit at the computer for more than 10 minutes at a time. Planning a Launch for January 15th :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:21:11 PM by swick »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
Gosh, isn't it amazing what can be achieved in 30 days. What astounding results. I never would have believed it if I hadn't done it myself. Actively have to stop myself being all preachy and trying to convert the rest of the world.  The funny thing is that no one has noticed anything different about me - but I feel like a new woman.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: November 12, 2015, 12:33:52 AM »
I'm just LOVING reading all these great responses to Faraday's thought provoking questions! I'm so tired tonite that I can't put the brain power into it that I want to, so I will be late joining the party, but hopefully by the weekend.

You guys ROCK!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #455 on: November 12, 2015, 06:05:57 AM »
Typical stuff this time of year:

1) Story about "upgrading OREOS". Yes, in the front page of my online yahoo NEWS:
https://www.yahoo.com/makers/the-easy-and-delicious-way-to-upgrade-your-oreo-160822546.html

2) Hall of fame baseball player loses leg to diabetes:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/hall-of-famer-lou-brock-recovering-after-partial-amputation-of-left-leg-003749704.html

Dear God in Heaven Above, help us through the Season of Insanity.  At least there's a video link in the OREO story about how "detox waters will have your insides singing..."

When you stand back and think about the idea of these stories strung together, it comes across as purely schizophrenic.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:53:15 AM by Faraday »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #456 on: November 12, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »
Thanks Swick, hugs back to you. It was your post on emotional eating that got me on the right track. Thanks also,  mum22boys. That is an awesome list of improvements. I had totally forgotten that I was teeth grinding and clenching and the dentist wanted to fit me with a mouth guard to stop it - a good $600 saved as I haven't done it since I started whole30. But after a busy morning looking after a gaggle of under 5's, I reckon the biggest life change is feeling up for anything.  It's hard to put into words but I feel like a yoke has been lifted and I have the energy and zest to take on anything.  I'm no longer constantly thinking that I have too much on my plate and I can't cope. Basically I'm saying yes to life. Can't put a price on that. Could it be that a tranche of bad life decisions amongst the populace is a result of bad food choices? Wow, that thought kind of blows my mind.

Yes, Yes, Yes! Every. Thing. You. Said....so the same for me! I was on the list for getting a mouth guard too!  My dentist was shocked when I told her that I don't need it any more now that I've done the Whole30. She was amazed!

One other thing I was thinking about last night.  While I do think about what I'm going to eat (for planning), I'm no longer consumed with thinking about food. I used to constantly think about what treat I could eat after the boys went to bed, or what fast food restaurant I wanted to go to after work. Those desires are gone. I want to keep it that way!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2015, 08:07:16 AM »
swick -- Two questions for you ... can you share the recipe for the coffee-flavored gummy bears? That sounds delicious! Also, I am just curious, what kind of cheese did you eat?

I've noticed my skin isn't quite as clear as it was during my strict Whole30. I was testing some new skin producsts, so that could be it, but I'm thinking it might be the introduction of butter and cheese as well. I'm going to pull back on the butter and make ghee instead (so easy to make) and limit cheese to about once or maybe twice a week.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2015, 09:03:18 AM »
swick -- Two questions for you ... can you share the recipe for the coffee-flavored gummy bears? That sounds delicious! Also, I am just curious, what kind of cheese did you eat?

The basic gummy bear ratio is 1 cup of liquid to 3 TBS. Gelatin. Split the liquid in 1/2 and mix the gelatin into half of it, Heat up the other 1/2 and then stir it all together and pour into molds.

For the coffee flavored ones I used a base of coconut milk, added a splash of vanilla, some instant espresso and a couple good scoops of coconut oil (sorry I don't measure anything) to the 1/2 cup that I was heating up. They are a little slick to the touch due to the coconut oil, but they are tasty!

I suppose you could add some Stevia or other sweetener to make them more "candy" like, but that's not the point and I don't think they need it :)

The only reason they are gummy bears is because my sister bought a couple of molds to experiment with and I liberated them for a few days. They are awfully cute!

The cheese that I had was the sheep's milk Manchego. Now, Come to think of it, while I did get stuffy, I didn't have any face break outs like I did when I tried to reintro cows milk.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:51:08 AM by swick »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
To the social question....

I just had a co-worker ask me in causal passing how I was doing. Of course I replied 'I'm doing great!'.  He then said 'You just look so happy lately.' 

That made my day! I also thought it was interesting since I'm a very happy, optimistic person and often get compliments about that. But, the way he said it just made me think that it's shining out even more.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #460 on: November 12, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »
I'm not really Whole30, but I do try to follow JERF principles fairly closely.  I was wondering, how do you guys deal with the temptation of having so many free snacks, etc. around?  I'm pretty good at home, but during the week, it's pretty easy for me to slip up at the workplace.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #461 on: November 12, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
That's a wonderful compliment, mum22boys.
Can't quite believe I have woken up to Day30. Wish tiger blood was still with me but unfortunately I've caught a bug from the kids and am in bed feeling achey and crap. But still yay for Day30! Have a family party tomorrow so I'm not going to rush into reintroduction as I don't want to feel bad for that. Looking at the suggested reintro schedule, I'm not missing alcohol or legumes so will save them for later. Might try dairy first although I am sure they are going to be bad for my allergies. Like Liz has found, one whole30 hasn't been enough to cure me of those and I just finished the antibiotics for my sinus infection so not expecting miracles. A bit of yoghurt, some aged cheddar with lunch and a milky tea or two.  Fully expecting it to be bad and I really can live without these on a daily basis which has surprised me as my diet was very dairy heavy before. Second up will try non gluten grains -oats for breakfast,  corn chips etc. Will save gluten for last -my favorite Vogels bread with Marmite.  Would love a croissant but that's mixing dairy and gluten so will save that for later. Am a bit nervous about reintro as you all have been but I guess that's normal. Hope you all have a great day. Ks

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #462 on: November 12, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
I'm not really Whole30, but I do try to follow JERF principles fairly closely.  I was wondering, how do you guys deal with the temptation of having so many free snacks, etc. around?  I'm pretty good at home, but during the week, it's pretty easy for me to slip up at the workplace.

Sweet pea, if  you are tempted to slip up, then you aren't hurting as much as some of us here were. We feel so much better doing what we do (Whole30, lo-carb, keto, whatever) that we won't go back.

In the workplace, the "holiday goodies" are especially insidious. Coping mechanisms I use are:

- anger and indignance (no joke, i do)
- an atkins meal bar squirreled away in a desk drawer
- other items allowed by my lifestyle, like pork rinds or beef jerky

Back away from the scenarios of junk food at work and think above the instant gratification. This is just another form of the hedonistic adaptation us MMM'ers work to get rid of. Worse yet, it's PEER PRESSURE for hedonistic adaptation.  REWARD yourself with compliant food if and when you are able to resist. If you just can't, then EARN the transgression with exercise.

And finally, beware, you are being manipulated by the Season of Insanity:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/msg837739/#msg837739
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:06:56 PM by Faraday »

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #463 on: November 12, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
Sunnyca,  I struggled with this for a very long time, whether I was eating an 80/20 paleo diet, or hippy SAD with lots of chocolate.  For me, it took going all the way with a fairly low carb whole30, and just shoving through the sugar cravings. Amazingly, after about a week it got fairly easy. I never really thought I would get my treat cravings under control enough that I wasn't functioning solely on willpower, but I was wrong. It's awesome!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #464 on: November 12, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
Typical stuff this time of year:

1) Story about "upgrading OREOS". Yes, in the front page of my online yahoo NEWS:
https://www.yahoo.com/makers/the-easy-and-delicious-way-to-upgrade-your-oreo-160822546.html

2) Hall of fame baseball player loses leg to diabetes:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/hall-of-famer-lou-brock-recovering-after-partial-amputation-of-left-leg-003749704.html

Dear God in Heaven Above, help us through the Season of Insanity.  At least there's a video link in the OREO story about how "detox waters will have your insides singing..."

When you stand back and think about the idea of these stories strung together, it comes across as purely schizophrenic.

Faraday, the juxtaposition of these 2 articles is just a sad, sad commentary, isn't it? :-( Day 34 here of my Whole60 and feeling just wonderful!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »

During W30, I don't find it tempting because it's a zero tolerance model and slipping up means going back to day zero.  I don't know how helpful that is for the rest of life, but maybe cultivate a healthy disgust for the crap that goes into most of those snacks and make sure you have healthy alternates around.  I'm doing W30 this time around because I was giving in to the junk food temptations too frequently (I don't react very badly to any foods, so I don't have that deterrent).  If you don't have bad reactions, going strict for a few weeks and really paying attention to the positive outcomes can be helpful because they make you aware of how a doughnut here and a bag of chips there erodes your health in ways that you might not associate directly with food.  If I'm going to do that, I might as well hold out for a really, really good dessert that I've chosen, rather than random, poor quality junk that happens to turn up at work (because really, how many of the work snacks are high quality?).

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »
Congratulations KiwiSonya on day 30! Good luck with reintroductions! For what it's worth, very low lactose milk products (certain cheeses and butter) haven't messed with my allergies too badly. Yogurt, however, made me stuffy. Please report back on your results!

swick - Thank you for the gummy recipe! Sounds delicious. I actually have a silicone heart-shaped mold, so will have to try it with that! I've made a gelatin gummy pre-Whole30, but it had maple syrup in it, and your recipe sounds much closer to keto/sugar-free.

During W30, I don't find it tempting because it's a zero tolerance model and slipping up means going back to day zero.  I don't know how helpful that is for the rest of life, but maybe cultivate a healthy disgust for the crap that goes into most of those snacks and make sure you have healthy alternates around.  I'm doing W30 this time around because I was giving in to the junk food temptations too frequently (I don't react very badly to any foods, so I don't have that deterrent).  If you don't have bad reactions, going strict for a few weeks and really paying attention to the positive outcomes can be helpful because they make you aware of how a doughnut here and a bag of chips there erodes your health in ways that you might not associate directly with food.  If I'm going to do that, I might as well hold out for a really, really good dessert that I've chosen, rather than random, poor quality junk that happens to turn up at work (because really, how many of the work snacks are high quality?).

This is such a great post, especially the last sentence! The Whole30 has definitely made me more aware of this. Before, I would reach for a bag of chips for comfort and I would get, what, about 30 minutes of satisfaction from eating that? My satisfaction about feeling good lasts a lot longer than it takes me to eat a bag of chips (and yes, I can eat pretty much a whole bag of chips in one sitting - Definitely a case of zoned out, mindless eating).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:33:38 PM by Liz »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »
Faraday's questions:

1) Health changes. I mean DETAILS. Things like:

- where on your body did you lose weight the fastest? I also think my face changed pretty dramatically with the Whole30 -- I look more like myself again:-) But its also coming off evenly from the rest of my body. Pants and shirts are fitting, amazingly, things I haven't worn in 3 or 4 years. A week ago, I squished myself into a swanky Christmas gala dress (size 14) that fit me in 2009!!! So since I only wore it once, and staff has changed a lot, I'm going to wear it again. I'm pretty sure that it will fit in time for this December gala Christmas party. So happy to not have to spend more $$$ for something in a size 18 or worse! My only problem could be if the dress is too big when I go to get ready for the gala. I think I'd better give myself some lead time on that. haha! But I actually can't even imagine walking into a department store and buying a size 12 dress off the rack ... my wedding dress was a 12 BTW, and that was 26 years ago. I'm 5'11" so I've never really been smaller than a 12. Wow, that got off track!

Where did you lose weight the slowest? Well, I'd have to say my mummy tummy is the slowest to go, but even it is going down. The bloating is just gone! So exciting. I've given birth many times (like more than 7) and that has been very harder each time to gain a little more weight and keep it on <sigh>. 

- how did you do with clothes? Did you find it easier, harder, or no different to find clothes that fit (or pull old clothes out).
I've held onto clothes that I really wanted to wear again someday. At times, it was very depressing and discouraging to see them hanging there. Now I know that some of those cute summer skirts will fit me again. That almost makes me cry with happiness! Even delicates are fitting better and I've had to replace some already! Wahoo!

- what chronic problems lessened or disappeared? PMS=gone. Heavy/unmanageable monthly flow=reasonable now. (sorry, TMI) Bloating, upset tummy=gone. Foggy headedness=gone.

- what things dramatically improved? Sleep is a big one for me. I am only taking melatonin about once a week to help me fall asleep. I wonder if its because I have vastly reduced the amount of caffeinated tea I'm drinking each day, and am switching to herbal tea by noon?! Working my way through my tea stash is saving me big $$$ - haha! I'm able to use a crystal deoderant now. Seems like a weird thing, but I have always wanted to because breast cancer runs in the family. Hope I'm not too late! Before, the crystal would never work. Like an hour after a shower, I would stink again (EW!) now, I can go to a parade, cook and clean all day, go for a walk, and a play in the evening and by bedtime, there's just a slight whiff of B.O.  (this is what we did yesterday).
That makes me happy!

I am much more even keeled now. No mid-afternoon slump. No more angry feelings (well, much fewer so that its barely noticeable. I'm not an angry person, per se, but don't like it when those angry feelings bubble up inside me sometimes.) I have SO. MUCH. ENERGY. now. I was a typical 48 year old housewife: overweight, sitting around all day eating bonbons (haha not really) but I definitely medicated myself with food.

I was a total sugar addict. My dad is too. He is on metformin for diabetes and so was his mother before him. I would LOVE to have an HB A1C done to see what my blood sugar has been lately (its a 3 month average) but unfortunately I don't have a baseline from before Whole30. I have had gestational diabetes a few times. All my babies were 8-10 lbs at birth. Once, I had to take injectable insulin. I would actually eat candy every day if I could (you don't get to be 75 lbs overweight by eating well, you get there by eating poorly!). I am a baker and I love to bake sweets and cakes and cookies, I make my own candy, I grind grain and make my own bread (and sweet yeast bread things like pans of gooey cinnamon buns, with lots of cream cheese icing .. oh dear). The only sugar I have now is in fruit. As I branch out into this Whole60 (that's the first time I've actually written that; guess I'm committed now!) I am trying to reduce my fruit consumption by about 1/2. I'm eating a lot more vegetables. Breakfast was 1/2 a red bell pepper and a handful of cherry tomatoes fried up with a huge handful of spinach -- steamed all that first, then put it on a plate with a lid while I cooked up 2 eggs for on top. Delish! I really can't believe that I have NO sugar cravings now. This is a modern day miracle! I really feel like its one of those, "If I can do Whole30, anyone can!"

I don't feel like I'm an emotional eater anymore. On those few occasions where the stress level is through the roof, I love that I have a very simple list of foods that I can mindlessly eat. I had a minor panic last week when we ran out of almond butter and no one told me and I couldn't have a monkey bowl right when I needed one as a comfort food. I would also say that I'm managing stress better.

- what unexpected things changed? I am walking taller. I have energy to go out for good, brisk walks with my husband a few times a week. 1/2 the time, its me suggesting a walk, which is unheard of! I am a happier person in my skin. I feel like I don't look terrible and frumpy anymore and am excited to look and feel more like the girl my husband married. He is SOOOOOO supportive of what I'm doing. The grocery bill has gone up, as have the frequency of grocery store visits for all the fresh stuff. But he's eating great too, when he's home. He is only around 20 lb overweight. I've always been known to be quite patient with my brood of children but I feel like I am even more patient and understanding now. I'm spending less time online, and more time living my life,too.

- anyone saving money by doing away with doctor visits or drugs or both? I am in Canada, so I don't pay for these things, but I feel like I'm practicing preventative medicine by NOT being obese anymore. I have about 60 lbs to go to reach a healthy weight so I will be around here for a while. I've always wondered if I'd continue losing weight if I did Whole30 + reintroduced grain, dairy and wheat? Hmmm

2) Social changes:
- what kinds of comments do you get while on your journey? (both good and bad?) For the most part, the people in my life have been very encouraging. I'd say the only concerned person is my mom, who is very obese herself. They are going away for 3 months now, and I'm sure she will think I'm anorexic by the time they get back <sigh>. I wish she could just see it as healthy eating! Its a big ToDo when I only eat fruit when I come over with the kids, while everyone else eats bars and cakes.

- What's the most dramatic turn-around you've seen in someone's behavior since "before" and "after"? Does my own count?! I'm like a different person.

- Have you enjoyed any new social benefits? (like MMM talks about, for example) I'm stepping out more confidently now -- someone here called it swagger =D Yep, I have my swagger back! And a little moxie too!

- Do you think the changes have given you benefits at work, at home or with family?
I think that I'm more full of joy and life now. I'm so darn happy and content. I adore my husband and my children and now I'm able to show it more because I feel fully alive. No joke!

Thanks, Faraday, for prompting us with these great questions. It took me about an hour to write all this out, with multiple kid-terruptions but its been a healthy process to reflect on where I've been, where I am, and where I'm going. Also, thanks for taking the time to type out your gallbladder protocol. Super interesting! I'm wondering if the twinges will go away when I am back to my ideal weight?

Have a great day, everyone!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:24:39 PM by 1967mama »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »
Thanks, Faraday, for prompting us with these great questions. It took me about an hour to write all this out, with multiple kid-terruptions but its been a healthy process to reflect on where I've been, where I am, and where I'm going. Also, thanks for taking the time to type out your gallbladder protocol. Super interesting! I'm wondering if the twinges will go away when I am back to my ideal weight?

Have a great day, everyone!

'67, I absolutely love hearing people's story of their Food Journey. I appreciate that it took time and you had the interruptions, and I also appreciate that your progress lets you be a better spouse and mother for your family!!!

The "twinges": I chose that word on purpose, because the feeling that signals me I have to do something can be several different things. In my case, I've had problems in the past with pants around the waist "choking" my digestive system and giving me all manner of problems. So yes, it CAN be a simple mechanical problem that you can resolve by losing more belly fat and exercising more. (Distributed torso fat can actually be lymph fluid and inflammation, so it can happen anywhere and cause problems in a number of ways.)

A second possible cause of the "twinge" is eating fatty meats too late at night. Even though I've lost a boatload of weight and am in better shape than ever, if I eat meat too late (say, 8pm or later), I'm screwed and will end up with a touch of reflux. Nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but still enough to disrupt sleep. Only way to fix that problem is to just get on the spin bike or the road bike (if I'm feeling insane and my lighting is good) and work it off. 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »
Faraday, the juxtaposition of these 2 articles is just a sad, sad commentary, isn't it? :-( Day 34 here of my Whole60 and feeling just wonderful!

Honest truth - it upset the absolute hell out of me. Here's an honored athlete losing their left foot and part of their leg to diabetes, along with the OREO story. Shows me that Yahoo doesn't take their reporting (nor the food they eat) very seriously, and may even be taking product placement revenue from the OREO story.

BTW: The back story here is that I lost a cousin to diabetes who could not control her eating habits. She was taken to the hospital, checked in and scheduled for surgery. They had to amputate both legs below the knee.
It was too late: the infection had really screwed up her body and she died a little later in the hospital.

Several years later, her mother, my lovely great Aunt and the last of her generation, had been successful at managing her diabetes as best she could. She loved living alone and had no interest in leaving her home.

Unfortunately, late one evening she slipped into a diabetic coma and despite the family's coordinated checkups on her, we found her the next morning after she had passed away in the night.

I could go on: One diabetic co-worker who died suddenly over a weekend due to heart attack, people losing limbs, eyesight, kidneys.

All this because the damned food industry doesn't have to care about the consequences: the responsibility is ours and ours alone.

One conspiracy-oriented friend of mine thinks diabetes-causing foods are marketed in order to keep people from living long enough to claim much social security. I dislike conspiracy theories but diabetes is certainly having that effect.

sunnyca, we're dead serious about hacking our diets here and hope you will join us. All of us have life-changing tales to tell. It's very similar to what we've learned about FIRE: you decide to pursue the goal and become subversive to the unwashed masses.

We don't suffer with our diet choices, we don't feel loss by refusing to eat trash. Our new eating habits change us and we start seeking the joy of eating beautifully. Our bodies change as a result and become more healthy, more beautiful.

Once you've had a taste of how good these lifestyles get, you'll never go back....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:57:32 PM by Faraday »

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
Thanks guys!  It's true, when I eat whole, unprocessed foods that I make at home, I feel 100% better than usual. 

I think I'll start from page 1 and read the whole thread for inspiration!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
Thanks guys!  It's true, when I eat whole, unprocessed foods that I make at home, I feel 100% better than usual. 

I think I'll start from page 1 and read the whole thread for inspiration!!
Awesome :) Fresh eyes are always interesting. I went back and re-read after my whole 30 finished, I couldn't believe the differences. This is not to say it is all easy and Rosey...but the journey is worth it :D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2015, 04:05:46 PM »
WAHOOO KIWISONYA - YOU ROCKED IT!!!!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR WHOLE 30 SUCCESS!!!!

Man  I love it when I get to play with fonts and sizes and colours!  :D

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
This thread is so inspiring! I have dabbled in Whole 30 but not for "real" and now I'm getting serious about it. I have a pretty major surgery scheduled for January 13 so I'm not super motivated to get healthy and start some better eating habits in preparation. I usually eat greek yogurt for breakfast and I have a large supply in the fridge, so my plan is to start by giving up everything-but-yogurt (I know that doesn't "count" with the strict W30 rules!) until it's used up and then go from there. Assuming I can make it through the holidays (ARGH!), I think I'll have about 45 days of true W30 pre-surgery, which should be pretty good!

My question is how do you deal with people who don't support you? I asked DH if he wanted to join me in this journey and he not only said no, but why would I do it during the holiday season and he will plan to taunt me with pie on Thanksgiving and other sweets throughout the season ... I hope he was joking, but even so it's still hard to stay strong when you don't have moral support from those closed to you. How have you guys dealt with this?

Thanks!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
Welcome to the group, Cheddaroie!

Facing a major surgery is a good reason to get healthy with your diet, I imagine *Disclaimer, no Doc here* that the stronger and healthier you are going into it the faster recovery will be.

I am lucky enough to have a supportive husband, but if I didn't I imagine my personality type would be to take it as a personal challenge - to not only be successful but have him come around.

Hubs was a little dubious at first, he went along mainly because I said this is what we are doing and I do most of the cooking. For those not doing it with their spouses, I think the changes have made believers, if not supporters out of their SO's.

As far as support - If you can find a friend or someone IRL that can do it with you, having "someone" who is taking the journey with you is very valuable, but if not...you got all of us supporting, cheering you on and willing to help you troubleshoot and commiserate with!

Oh as far as support goes, anyone planning on going to Camp Mustache this year? It's in your backyard Cheddarpie!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »
My question is how do you deal with people who don't support you? I asked DH if he wanted to join me in this journey and he not only said no, but why would I do it during the holiday season and he will plan to taunt me with pie on Thanksgiving and other sweets throughout the season ... I hope he was joking, but even so it's still hard to stay strong when you don't have moral support from those closed to you. How have you guys dealt with this?
Thanks!

That's what we are here for! :-)

I hope your husband was joking too -- maybe once he sees you are serious about this, he will be more supportive.  And why NOT start now? Thanksgiving and Christmas are just two days. "The holidays" doesn't mean two months of pigging out, you know? Starting now means you could feel and see some great results BEFORE the end of the year!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:06:54 PM by Liz »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »
Cheddar pie- my husband was neutral in his opinions on the Whole30 program as I began eating this way. I'm now 34 days in and he sees how well I'm doing, how great I'm feeling, how all my clothes are fitting again and he is now 100% on board.

Go ahead and give it a try! You have nothing to lose (wink)!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: November 12, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »
I was perusing the "De-sugaring" thread and felt thankful that I'm not still battling the Sugar Dragon! For me, cold turkey was the ONLY WAY to break my addiction.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/de-sugaring/200/

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »
Day31 begins. Now for the numbers. Drum roll please...
I have lost 6.5kg to weigh 71kg and have lost 6cm around my waist. Can't believe it! I am now within the healthy BMI and waist circumference so pleased with that.  Astounded that I managed it in just 30 days as I have laboured for months on low fat diets getting nowhere.  Bacon and eggs to celebrate!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #479 on: November 13, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
Wow, that is amazing, congratulations Sonya!  It's amazing how easy it is with the right fuel, isn't it?

1967 - thanks for pointing me back to that sugar thread.  Yes, it made me even more grateful to not be counting any grams or ounces or calories or anything.  Just know what's off limits and eat as much as I want of all the good stuff.

Today I remembered that I have a jar of egg white protein powder.  Checked the label and the only ingredient is powdered egg white, so I added a scoop to my sweet potato/coconut concoction.  Any opinions on this?  I'm staying away from the vanilla whey protein of course, but this one seems OK to me, in limited quantities.

To put a Mustachian spin on this, what is everyone doing with their foods that they now know are sub-optimal to off-limits?  I have lots of beans around the house in particular.  When I think of it, I throw a batch in the slow cooker and feed them to my chickens, but it still feels wasteful.  Will you eat your sub-optimal stuff and throw away the off-limits stuff?  Toss or give it all away?

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #480 on: November 13, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »
To put a Mustachian spin on this, what is everyone doing with their foods that they now know are sub-optimal to off-limits?  I have lots of beans around the house in particular.  When I think of it, I throw a batch in the slow cooker and feed them to my chickens, but it still feels wasteful.  Will you eat your sub-optimal stuff and throw away the off-limits stuff?  Toss or give it all away?

I'm eating my perishables up (yogurt, cheese) as I start the Whole 30 (not starting to count the 30 yet until I start for real when these are gone), cooking up pasta and other semi-perishables for DH, keeping some non-perishables for my earthquake emergency kit (oh, Seattle), and donating the rest to a local food pantry.  This is a good time of year to find local food drives if you have lots of extra cans of food you won't use.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #481 on: November 13, 2015, 01:19:59 PM »
Thanks horsepoor. I will admit to binning nearly 1kg of leftover Halloween chocolate because the kids were hassling me about it and I didn't want to eat it. I will keep things that the rest of the family will eat but give away/throw away stuff that I would have to prepare but don't want to now like beans. No one has really ever been that keen on them so they won't be missed.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #482 on: November 13, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
You did it KiwiSonya! It's been fun to read your journey through the last 30 days. You have a lot to be proud of, with the challenges along the way. Those are some awesome numbers too!  Good for you for trashing the extra candy too.  I have a bin full of it still, left over from Halloween. I'm not tempted at all, so I'm waiting to donate it to the boy's school for a fun fair. Enjoy the bacon and eggs (that's what I had for breakfast today too :-)).

Today was a fun day! I went through my closet and got rid of all the clothes that were either too big, or I just don't wear much. I didn't go quite as far as the Tidying book recommends and only keeping that I "love".  In the past I would have held onto those bigger clothes....JUST IN CASE!  I'm done living with that mentality. I even dropped them off already at Goodwill, so there's no going back. :-)

Last night I reintro peanut butter. I did have a slight upset stomach this morning, but it went away very quickly, so I'm not sure if it was the PB or not.

My plan is to start another Whole30 the day after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving will be pretty close to compliant, but I don't want to worry about having butter instead of ghee on my potatoes. Otherwise, I'm sticking to the NO SUGAR! 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #483 on: November 13, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »

I move a lot, and even conscientious eat-downs of the pantry I'm often left with open pacakges of non-perishables. Especially spices. How I loath to throw out spices! I've always had great luck posting these items on Freecycle or NextDoor listserves. All items have been taken, every time, despite being open.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #484 on: November 13, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS KIWISONYA!

You did it! Your numbers are fantastic too!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #485 on: November 13, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
Thanks mum22boys and 1967mama! I don't think I could have done it without you guys as my support group. Response from hubby was 'Oh', so nice to have you guys cheering from the sidelines. My mum and sister are impressed and want to learn more about getting rid of their tummies. Hubby got on the scales after me and has lost a few kgs too from all the good food he has been getting.  He has Crohn's but is so wheat addicted that he doesn't even want to discuss changing his diet. But I'm in charge of the food and he eats what he gets without complaint so will just be gradually tinkering by stealth. Finally, I have to say that I feel really proud of myself for keeping my word, facing the challenges and not giving up or cheating in any way. Swick, I think one of your posts early on about keeping promises to yourself was a real game changer. Who knows what else I can achieve if I can back myself and follow through. ..

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: November 13, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »
Looking for a different way to serve chicken this weekend?

This Whole30 compliant recipe for Easy Mediterranean Chicken is just fantastic! We are having it twice a week right now. I cut back a little on the pepper because I'm just not a Spice Girl! I just use bell peppers and tomatoes because that's what I have on hand. For lime juice, I use one of those plastic limes in the produce department that contains lime juice.

For the non-Whole30'ers in my family, I also serve brown rice as it makes lots of nice juice. You could thicken it with Whole30 compliant thickening agent. My littler kids liked it with sour cream to take down the heat a touch.

Great with a big green salad or steamed veggies or a potatoes. Nice leftover the next day, too.

Anyone else have some favorite Whole30 recipe links?

Edited to fix link
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:12:55 PM by 1967mama »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #487 on: November 13, 2015, 08:36:07 PM »
Mom22boys - I'm right with you! Get rid of those clothes that are too big for you. We are not going back there! EVER!

Cheddarpie - Thanks for the suggestion of donating canned goods we will no longer be eating. Great idea!

Horsepoor - I have a lot of dry beans too :-/ Not sure what to do about that. We have a few dishes that are super favorites for the kids (Cheesy Bean Burritos comes to mind) ---> not attaching link! hahaha!

Today I had my parents for lunch so we had BBQ hot dogs (the big fat kind) and coleslaw. I made a batch of whole30 mayo this morning but had to use 1/2 EVOO and it didn't taste like the good whole30 mayo we all know and love. So I made a little bowl of coleslaw for myself with my mayo, and a big bowl of regular coleslaw for everyone else. Then while they were serving up and dressing their hotdogs, I fried myself up 2 eggs. No one noticed, except maybe my mom but she didn't say anything.

I had more fruit today that usual, but it was because we were out. I also had a Lara bar. Late afternoon I had a monkey bowl. Dinner was the aforementioned Mediterranean Chicken and some celery sticks (very keto of me, don't you think?!) Funny thing is, now I feel like I'd like more fruit. Hmmm. Putting my own foot down here. Go eat some carrots or something if you are REALLY hungry and not just bored, 1967mama!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #488 on: November 14, 2015, 08:00:28 AM »
mom22boys - GREAT JOB on the going through clothes and giving stuff away!  Love your mentality too --- BYE bigger clothes!:) I've always enjoyed being tidy {weird, I know} and had a bit of a minimalist mentality, but the Kondo book has given me some new ideas. I adore the t-shirt folding method. I think reorganzing is especially exciting now that I am fitting in some jeans again that I haven't been able to wear in awhile. It's like shopping in my closet.

1967mama -- Am bookmarking the chicken recipe -- thank you for sharing!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:03:39 AM by Liz »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #489 on: November 14, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »
Lots of fun with the kids at a family party. We performed "the owl and the pussycat" and it was the cutest thing. I had a fruit juice mixed with soda but didn't like the bloated uncomfortable feeling it left me with. Dinner was ham, lamb, chicken and lots of salads so that was great. The dessert table was laden but the kids were nearly asleep so I took a piece of sticky biscuit slice to enjoy at home. This morning I decided to introduce wheat so had black coffee and 2 slices of sourdough toast for breakfast with my slice treat. A couple of hours later I don't feel yuck but feel tired and completely depleted of energy. Going to have a whole30 snack to pep me up. My old diet just doesn't deliver the energy levels to get me through the day...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: November 14, 2015, 05:54:21 PM »
Kiwisonya - I love your description you gave here:

My old diet just doesn't deliver the energy levels to get me through the day...

Today was my 2nd experience of ordering in a restaurant during my Whole60.  I wrote the following out on a cocktail napkin:

BBQ Chopped Lemon Chicken Salad
-no bacon
-no candied pecans
-no BBQ sauce
-dressing on the side (olive oil and balsamic vinegar)
-extra grapes, oranges and apples
-grilled lemon chicken - is there a sauce on it? if so does it have sugar in it? if it has sugar, then no sauce - just grilled chicken either with olive oil or poached

It was done perfectly and tasted delicious!

On another note, I just had a monkey bowl with the new jar of Maranatha brand almond butter in it and it has FREAKING CANE SUGAR in it! After I put on the almond butter, I licked the spoon and it tasted so sweet and I was like... GAH! And then I read the jar and sure enough, there it was! I can't believe how much my taste buds have changed so that I actually noticed the sugar without reading the jar. I think about 1/4 tsp went down, if that. So I'm deciding to keep rolling on Day 6. I may have restarted on my first Whole30, but this wasn't a "cheat" per se, but rather a mistake...and a tiny one at that. Would you do the same thing, in my postition?

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #491 on: November 14, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
I would keep going 1967mama. My energy levels have been in the basement since my carb breakfast.  Had a whole30 snack which gave me a wee boost but had a croissant at lunchtime and down I went again. Back on that old rollercoaster. Plus, I hoed into another piece of leftover biscuit slice in energy desperation. A reappearance of both eating others leftovers and eating treats when not hungry. Enough of this experiment for today. I'm going back to whole 30 for dinner and tomorrow as well. Interesting how it is not physical symptoms but seemingly uncontrollable behaviours that make wheat and sugar bad for me. Eye opening for sure.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #492 on: November 14, 2015, 06:31:01 PM »
1967mama: not only would I keep going, I did the same in my first whole30. It had not occurred to me to check to see if my almond butter had sugar in it. I mean, why on earth would it?  I had eaten a decent amount before I tasted it by itself and discovered the sugar, so my mistake was quite a bit larger than yours.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #493 on: November 14, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »
Today was my 2nd experience of ordering in a restaurant during my Whole60.  I wrote the following out on a cocktail napkin:

BBQ Chopped Lemon Chicken Salad
(awesomeness was here)
It was done perfectly and tasted delicious!

On another note, I just had a monkey bowl with the new jar of Maranatha brand almond butter in it and it has FREAKING CANE SUGAR in it!
Would you do the same thing, in my position?

Press on, press on '67. One spoonful of something that's NOT supposed to have sugar in it isn't good enough reason to reset. The setback of restarting could have a greater negative effect than the spoonful itself.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #494 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
Just a short post as I am making dinner but had an a-ha moment I wanted to share. Have been feeling out if control with my energy and emotions since letting the food without brakes carbs back into my diet. Five year old son has just come into the kitchen and had an enormous tantrum because dinner isn't ready 'right now' because he just can't wait -he actually said he was starving to death despite eating raisins that his dad gave him 10 mins ago.  Shit, my kids are living everyday through the roller coaster that I used to because they are still eating the diet that I used to. Feeling a bit in shock. Wholesale change coming to this house ASAP!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: November 14, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »
Kiwi - What a GREAT realization about your kids! Mine too! As the current food trickles out of the house, I'm planning on replacing it with much, much healthier fare. One thing we've "discovered" is that juice, without sugar in it, tastes terrific! Doh! Not that we are huge juice drinkers, but I used to buy the cheapest cans of frozen juice/punch and they always have sugar in them.

Botanist - I'm sorry that your almond butter had sugar in it too. How stupid is that?!!! GRRRRR! Its freaking almond butter!

Faraday - You are so right in this -- I've come SOOOO far. My kids are noticing. My husband is swooning. It would be depressing to start my 2nd Whole 30 again, I think. Good call!

The setback of restarting could have a greater negative effect than the spoonful itself.

Thanks, everyone, for confirming what I was already leaning towards, and also for putting it into words for me. (((HUGS)) you're the best!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #496 on: November 14, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the support 1967mama,glad we can now share the experience of converting the whole family. Love this forum, it really is life changing. Have had a good whole30 dinner and feeling much better -ground beef with tonnes of vege and tinned tomatoes with asparagus and new potatoes on the side-love spring. Tonight's job is to plan healthy whole food for the whole family for the week ahead of tomorrow's shop.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #497 on: November 14, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it either.  I noticed sugar in the almond butter a while back.  Happy to say the kind Costco has now doesn't have sugar in it.

Last night I wanted to put horseradish on my pork loin, flipped it over and it has all kinds of crazy shit in it, so I had mustard instead.  I got a jar of Bubbys brand tonight and it even has sugar in it, but not the rest of the crazy shit.  I decided the amount is negligible enough that I'm not going to worry about it.

Tonight I got home later than expected and we were starving.  Declared that we'd be having beef on a Leaf.   Basically spiced ground beef and onion over big salads.  It's amazing how good something simple tastes when starving.  Glad I didn't break and grab Chipotle on the way home.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #498 on: November 14, 2015, 11:41:12 PM »
This website has a recipe for homemade horseradish. I've never seen a horseradish root in a grocery store before. Can someone point me in the right direction? I love horseradish on roast beef and just took delivery of 2 sides of yummy grassfed, antibiotic and hormone free beef a few weeks ago. My freezers are so full! YUM!

Day 6 completed in my Whole60 .. 24 days to go! Tonight I put on the fancy dress that I want to wear to a Christmas gala in a few weeks and I could get the zippers done up, which I couldn't do 2 weeks ago. I'm hopeful that by the end of my Whole60, it will fit well.

In other fashion news, a cute sundress I bought in about 2009 has been way too tight on me practically since the week I bought it. I put it on tonite, and it was TOO BIG FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!! This Whole30 business continues to astound me! I was killing myself laughing and shaking my head. I actually couldn't believe it. I feel like I'm living in my own reality tv show. It seems completely surreal to me.

Have a great day everyone!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #499 on: November 15, 2015, 01:08:56 AM »
Hi 1967mama, I love hearing about your wardrobe exploits. Best keep a bag in the bottom of your wardrobe for donations of too big for me clothes. That is my plan- that way there is no going back. TMI but all my bras and underwear are saggy baggy. But I'm a bit reluctant to replace it as I expect to go down another size yet. Was funny when my 3 year old asked me where my bum had gone! I might just buy one bra and a few pairs of underpants to get me through but nothing expensive or high quality.
On the horse radish, in NZ you can buy plain ground horseradish to make your own sauce -boy it's fiery stuff. Have only seen the root in an organic store once.  Grew my own one year but then heard it was invasive so I ripped it out quick. Have a great day. Ks

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!