Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427527 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #400 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:21 PM »
WINNING!

So, I went to the doctor today for a 6 month checkup (iron deficient anemia which I was diagnosed with 6 months ago). While walking in, I saw the big medical scale. I thought that it would be legitimate for me to be weighed at the doctors office and have my weight recorded. Well I almost fell over! I am on day 27 of my first Whole30 and I have lost 14 pounds!!!!!! I'm so pleased with this side effect of my wonderful month of rediscovering myself and feeling good in my skin again. No more brain fog! No more mid-afternoon slumps! No more wild blood sugar swings! I love feeling like I'm putting good food into my body and am
No longer abusing my insides with nutritionally inferior food or food products. YUCK!

Thanks for the wonderful post on emotional eating, Swick. You gave me a lot to ponder and I will reread it again and again! I'm actually thinking of reading the whole thread from the beginning before I start another Whole30.

Liz, thanks so much for the encouragement. You're a great cheerleader!

Caoineag, thanks for the tip on bacon! I read every package I can find and none are compliant!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #401 on: November 04, 2015, 10:13:40 PM »
WINNING!
I am on day 27 of my first Whole30 and I have lost 14 pounds!!!!!! I'm so pleased with this side effect of my wonderful month of rediscovering myself and feeling good in my skin again. No more brain fog! No more mid-afternoon slumps! No more wild blood sugar swings! I love feeling like I'm putting good food into my body and am
No longer abusing my insides with nutritionally inferior food or food products. YUCK!

That's the same way it played out for me when I was about two months into keto. I love the way you put it: that weight loss is a side effect. DW and I started out for weight loss but when we began to realize the health benefits, weight loss became secondary to feeling better and having a far better quality of life. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: November 04, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the wonderful post on emotional eating, Swick. You gave me a lot to ponder and I will reread it again and again! I'm actually thinking of reading the whole thread from the beginning before I start another Whole30.

No problem :) I found it very helpful to go back and reread the whole thread on day 31. For me it was important to see how far I'd come, reinforce what I learned along the way and see everything in the light of having completed it. I got a lot from the old posts!

That is a pretty awesome side-effect, 1967mamma! I bet your doctor was pretty impressed :D

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
Yeah, my doctor and the nurse who weighed me were both impressed. It was cool! Usually I dread the annual weigh in at the doctor's office .. haha! I'm laughing at those dumb scales now!

Stupid Scales! I'm breaking up with you FOREVAH!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2015, 07:59:04 AM »
swick ~ How did the basmati rice reintroduction go?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: November 05, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »

I think hubs was happy :) I discovered I could take it or leave it - Granted I did not make friend rice, which is one of my favorite food ever. I think I enjoyed the smell of it cooking more than the taste.

Didn't really notice anything symptom wise. I think that rice is the least problematic of the grain-like foods. I will definitely have some sushi at some point and thoroughly enjoy it :D

That being said, rice is pretty high glycemic and not really necessary for a healthy diet - so probably won't be making a regular appearance.

I think the next re-into will be some chickpeas. We haven't done the beans yet, and we really miss them.

How is everyone doing today?

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #406 on: November 05, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »

I think hubs was happy :) I discovered I could take it or leave it - Granted I did not make friend rice, which is one of my favorite food ever. I think I enjoyed the smell of it cooking more than the taste.
How is everyone doing today?

Top Notch! I'm staying pretty well into ketosis and all is right with the world. Good job on the rice! i haven't had any in two years and I'm happy as can be. (and I LOVE sushi...so I do miss it...a tiny bit...)

Oh well, I guess I can "make do" with sashimi?! :-) :-) :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #407 on: November 05, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »
Oh well, I guess I can "make do" with sashimi?! :-) :-) :-)

Lol it is an option, I live, however, farther away from any ocean then I would like - especially for eating sashimi.  My sushi is usually homemade, so sashimi for me would be, carrot sticks, cucumber, avocado and maybe some thawed frozen seafood, if I was lucky :D

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: November 05, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »
My son made sushi last night so I made myself a bowl of "Deconstructed Sushi" which was delicious! Avacado, cucumber, haddock and coconut aminos!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #409 on: November 05, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »
My son made sushi last night so I made myself a bowl of "Deconstructed Sushi" which was delicious! Avacado, cucumber, haddock and coconut aminos!

Oh crap that's awesome. I add avocado to salads now and it's heaven.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: November 07, 2015, 02:09:08 AM »
Tomorrow is Day30 for me. I can't believe I've been able to this. I have never been able to stick with an eating plan like this before, let alone 100% compliant. I will weigh myself in the morning. I've been very busy as I have house guests that arrived today, and I've stuck with it. More fruit was eaten than recommended, but I ate that instead of crappity-crap so I'm ok with it. Had a monkey bowl tonight and it tasted soooo good. I was craving that, which would have seemed odd to me 30 days ago.

Thank you for all the wonderful support I've received on this particular thread ... you guys were my lifeline, truly! I will report in on my reintroduction and whether I decide to do another Whole30 right away -- especially if reintroduction isn't going well.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #411 on: November 07, 2015, 06:09:33 PM »
Oh, hey! Congratulations, 1967mama. Finishing a whole30 really does feel great. Good luck on your reintroduction phase. Do you have a timeline worked out?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #412 on: November 08, 2015, 07:19:16 AM »
Congratulations, 1967, you've made it!!  It's been really exciting to follow you on this adventure, and great that you and your daughter are having such great success!

Today is Day 1 for me.  I'm not going to bother weighing in since yesterday I: 1) ran a half marathon, 2) totally over-indulged with Sonic after the race, and then a big fancy birthday dinner with drinks and dessert and the whole 9 yards.  Whatever my weight is right now, I'm sure it's wonky.  On more normal days recently I've been between 166-168, so I'll use 167 as my baseline.  I'd love to see 162 since that's kind of my body's fit/healthy set point.

Anyway, my schedule is clear today so I'll be making ghee, breakfast sausage, coconut butter and whatever else I can think of to streamline this.  I was excited to discover that Mulay's Italian sausage from Natural Grocer is compliant.  It's nice to have a couple easy options for busy days.  My husband is participating too, albeit less strictly.  Basically no chips, booze or straight-up sugar for him (he's still having his yogurt and granola bars and such), so it will be easier without icecream and beer appearing in the house.

I did check my fish sauce and it isn't "pure" but I can't seem to find Red Boat - no dice at Whole Foods - but I'm not going to stress about such a tiny bit of preservative.  WF did have coconut milk with no additives.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: November 08, 2015, 08:28:42 AM »
CONGRATS 1967mamma and Daughter!

WAHOO YOU DID IT!!!

So Awesome :D What is next for your reintro? It's an exciting and somewhat scary time :)

I'll be joining you and speeding up my reintro because I'm going Stateside on a girls weekend with my mom and sister this week....aaannnd....Back to round 2 on the 16th! This time my mom is going to be joining me, and I'm so excited for her!

Faraday, you've been a bit of an influence, I've been looking into Keto and I think I might try and do a Ketofied Whole 30 this time. Which, don't know how it is going to go without the potatoes and banana's and tasty compliant things like that.

How is yours going, Liz?

Welcome to the journey, horsepoor! If a bit of preservative is the worst that is in your fish sauce, I wouldn't be too worried, the only commercial ones I can find also have sugar in them.

WIN:
Finally conceded the fact that I needed to get some pants that actually fit. Usually I buy from the thrift, but a store was having a great sale on some fleece lined pants. (My legs are cold from about Sept-April) and I have been out walking lots.  Was pleasantly surprised to discover that I easily fit into a 14 - down from an 18 :)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
Congratulations 1967mama and daughter. What an awesome achievement.  It has been a real pleasure to share the journey with you!
Swick, thanks for last week's thought provoking post on emotional eating. I'm taking some positive steps and this is going to be the focus of my next whole30 in mid Jan.
I'm Day 26 now and have survived three days tent camping while staying compliant. Lots of preplanning and food prep in advance was the key. Everyone was drooling over my cauliflower fried rice with roasted cashews and sambal while they were eating precooked sausages wrapped in bread. I noticed that I was able to spend more time kicking balls with the kids than previous trips because I have more energy.  And I slept like a log, despite kids waking a lot.
I'd like to complete a full reintro before Xmas do that this experience isn't wasted. But I am committed to eating this way more or less permanently now as I feel so great. I imagine I will want to have occasional non compliant treats rather than wholesale reintroduction of dairy or wheat in my daily diet. I'm also interested in trying keto as I have enjoyed the results when I have the metallic taste in my mouth but it disappears with too much fruit or potato. Have a great day everyone.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #415 on: November 08, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »
Way to go 1967mama and daughter!

We are all excited for you, and so glad we could help support you through this journey.  Now time for reintro!  Swick said it best (as usual :-)) that this is an exciting and scary time.  Reintro has been easier and harder than I thought. Let us know your plans.  I wish I had been more precise in my plans, because I think it would make things easier.

For my reintro so far:  I first added back dairy (cheese) and had no issues.  Next I added back rice, which was this last week. While I didn't notice any physical problems, I did notice that the more meals I ate with the rice, the more I wanted. When I make rice, I typically make 3-4 cups at a time, so I have it for the whole week. I may have to change that approach so it's not easily available for me to use with meals. Yesterday my cousin came over for a movie night, and we made chili with cornbread.  I really wish I hadn't eaten the cornbread and only stuck with the chili to reintro beans.  Today I feel like crap. My stomach feels like it could explode. I am so bloated.  I've been drinking water, water, water to see if I can help flush this out of my system FAST! I'm so frustrated since I don't know if it was the beans, grains, or gluten.  I'm guessing it was the gluten. 

It's funny how it's still so easy to slip back into old thinking.  Today as I'm prepping food for the week, I though I should make cookies for the kids (and of course eat some dough), since I'm already feeling crappy I might as well go all out and really feel crappy. Thankfully I was able to talk myself out of that quickly. That's huge progress for me, but I'm still working on things.

Yeah for lose pants too!  Sizes are soooo funny with pants though too, and are another number I try to ignore.  I have a pair of 16st that are HUGE, and I have a pair of 18st that I still can't button.  Weird!

I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to start my next round too. I know Thanksgiving will be hard to be 100% compliant, but as my friends in Canada how shown, it's possible. My mom will be much better with making me compliant foods now too. Decisions, decisions. :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #416 on: November 08, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »
It's funny how it's still so easy to slip back into old thinking.  Today as I'm prepping food for the week, I though I should make cookies for the kids (and of course eat some dough), since I'm already feeling crappy I might as well go all out and really feel crappy. Thankfully I was able to talk myself out of that quickly. That's huge progress for me, but I'm still working on things.
So. Much. This. This is definitely the same old thinking pattern I use to have and addictive personalities run in my family, I know I am susceptible.

Way to go for recognizing the behaviour and changing the outcome! Hope you get back to feeling fabulous, mom22boys!

Awesome job on keeping whole 30 while camping, KiwiSonya!

We had a bit of Manchego on our eggs this morning. Don't seem to be having any ill affects yet. Kind of surprised with how bad milk was. Hubs (who loves. loves cheese) and is really big on texture and has missed it said it was almost too distractingly creamy. Amazing how tastes can change. I still loved it :)

Couple of nights ago we stove top popped some organic popcorn. That seemed to be fine too.

I really should try gluten/wheat but I'm almost scared to because I know on an intellectual level it isn't good, and it's probably not going to be a part of our lives. I'm not sure if accepting that will be easier or worse if we end up trying it and reacting to it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #417 on: November 09, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »
Swick, it seems like it might be a good idea to try it and see how you react.  There may be situations where you're traveling or in a social setting where avoiding it will be a serious PITA, and it would be good to know what sort of lengths it's worth going to to avoid it. 

I devised a pretty good non-egg breakfast that can be made ahead of time - 1 part canned coconut milk and 1 part canned sweet potato or pumpkin.  Add in copious amounts of pie spice, blend and stir in chia seeds.  Better with a little bit of stevia, but of course that's not 100% compliant if you're still doing W30.  You could probably throw in date or banana if you wanted to sweeten it up without the stevia.  Makes a pretty good substitute for yogurt as a grab-and-go.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #418 on: November 09, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
That sounds like a yummy breakfast,  Horsepoor. With 4 days to go I am in exactly the place they predict,  wanting to weigh and measure because I'm nearly there.  Had to laugh when I went to the local pharmacy and their scales were out of order. Not sure how I'm going to measure my end result because I don't have scales any more due to excessive scale watching in the past.  Might ask the neighbors as I certainly don't want to buy them and have them lying around the house. I'm going to follow Whole30 advice and set some goals for my remaining days. These are:
- Slow down my eating. Spent 15 mins cooking chachouka -Moroccan eggs in spicy tomato sauce and devoured them in 3 mins. What a piggy!
- Drink more water. Now thst I don't guzzle tea all day I need to up my intake. Probably only had 3 cups yesterday.  Try to double this.
- Ask myself am I really hungry or do I need to do something else (thanks Swick!)
- Plan my reintroduction. Going to start with dairy to get the worst out of the way first.
Hope everyone else is doing well today. Ks

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #419 on: November 09, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »
Kiwisonya, I have had good luck finding a scale by walking into the nearest gym and asking if I can go in and use theirs. No-one has ever said no, or even looked at me sideways. Admittedly, I am on the other side of the globe from you, so local social norms may vary.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #420 on: November 09, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »
Good idea, thanks Botanist.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: November 10, 2015, 01:24:55 AM »
Hi Whole30 Buddies!

Thank you sooooo much for your kind words of support and celebration. It means a lot to me! (((hugs))) to all!

I'm sorry that I have been AWOL. I have had house guests for 4 days and they just left early this evening so its been a fun but busy time.

I decided to try some oatmeal with applesauce and cinnamon for my first day of reintroduction. It tasted very delicious. For lunch I was craving eggs .. hahahaha! Who woulda thunk it?! We had spaghetti for dinner so I had zoodles and sauce, which I have grown to love! In the evening, I had ONE Godiva chocolate from the box our houseguests had brought. My son brought them to me because he knew I was finsihed my Whole30 and she was sitting right there, so I just couldn't say no. It was meh, which is really surprising to me!

After assessing my day, I decided that the oatmeal hadn't been all that exciting and that I would like to do another Whole30 straight away! So I have just completed day 1. It was much, much easier than my first day 1 a month ago! I will be very interested in how my head handles this second Whole30. It feels like a different adventure than the first time because I know the ins and outs of the program.

I think I need to get through "It Starts With Food" so that I can deepen my understanding of the program and how to get the maximum benefit out of it. 

Kiwisonya - I'm trying to time this so that I can reintroduce grains and dairy over Christmas, so today being Day 1, I'm hopeful it will all work out without any restarts this time. I'm with you on feeling so great that I want to keep eating like this!

Swick - I'm scared of wheat too! haha! It will be the very last thing I introduce when I eventually get to that stage. Much fat loss must happen first.

Horsepoor - I am totally making that breakfast tomorrow! Great to have another idea for a non-egg breakfast!

Mom22boys - Sorry for your tummy troubles - I have had a few days like that too. Weirdly for me, I figured out that my stomach was getting upset and bloated from too much iron. I take iron pills due to anemia and I think I"m getting so much protein that I don't need the pills anymore. I am getting a blood test this week to prove out my theory.

SailorSam - It DID feel great to complete a Whole 30 and now I will be calling it a Whole 60. I had just one day between challenges. I feel to good to let go of this now.

Have a great day, everyone!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #422 on: November 10, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »

Swick - I'm scared of wheat too! haha! It will be the very last thing I introduce when I eventually get to that stage. Much fat loss must happen first.

UGGGHHH....I feel like I got hit by a truck....

So yeah, inspired by ya'll to get over the fear and try some wheat, I had a serving of ramen noodles in my soup last night. Within about 10 minutes my hand and scalp started to really itch. Within an hour I started to ache everywhere. It basically triggered a Fibro Flare up. My fingers, my wrists, my arms, my hips, my sciatica in my leg, everything aches, I can't sit comfortably, or sleep comfortably, or heck, stand comfortably. Also, leg cramps came back. I'm not feeling any better this morning....*sigh*

I guess I have my answer.

I started reading (and almost finished) "lose the wheat, lose the weight"  By William Davis, MD I borrowed it from my mom. Figured I may as well do something to distract me. All it really did was highlight and reinforce how horrible wheat and gluten are for you *double sigh*

1967mama - While I wouldn't want you to feel like I do at the moment, I would suggest reintroducing wheat and gluten now and getting it over with.  Depending on your reaction (or hopefully non-reaction) it might change how you do your next whole 30, how you feel about everything/your motivation/what you have to process and or accept.  I know I'm going to be looking at things very differently then if I had just avoided trying it and continued on.

Also - reintroducing wheat around the holidays might not be the best time for your overall health, feeling good and good cheer. I know I'm going to be planning my holidays (and how to navigate family and social obligations) very differently. I don't ever want to feel like this again.

I think my next version of whole 30 will include a little cheese and fermented dairy (if I can handle it)  but really focus on developing the keto/low carb approach (so not being as reliant on fruit and sweet potato)

Well at least I learned a thing or two. I'm rather grumpy this morning, how bout distracting me by sharing your successes, thoughts, challenges and wins?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #423 on: November 10, 2015, 08:10:55 AM »
Great to hear that you're jumping back into it, and didn't find the things you decided to reintro all that compelling!

Swick, wow!  I feel sort of bad for suggesting it now that you've had such a bad reaction, but I guess you now know.  Geeze, hope you're feeling better soon.

Today is day 3 here.  I've slept like a rock the last two nights.  Last night DH asked me what kinds of desserts were W30 compliant and I told him "Fruit."  He said "That makes me want to cry like an 8 year old kid."  But he stuck it out.  But that's kind of the point isn't it?  To have a more mature relationship with food and not look to it for entertainment.  We had a delicious dinner that more than met our nutritional needs, so why the need to eat additional crap out of boredom or habit or whatever?  He's not alone in that - having a glass or two of wine after dinner is a bit too much of a habit for me, but I'm just switching to herbal tea and not really missing it.  Did some yoga last night as a healthy diversion as well.

Maybe I can get him into an after dinner tea habit.  Some of the fruit teas are good for that, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen him drink a cup of tea, come to think of it.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: November 10, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »
Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing! I was in NC over the weekend to watch a kayak race. I went last year as well and the hike is pretty intense for someone who doesn't hike regularly. It's not a terribly long hike, but some of it involves going down a steep terrain with a rope. Anyways, compared to last year during the same hike, I had so much more energy and my asthma did not act up at all. Granted, it was 20 degrees warmer than last year, so that might of had something to do with it. But I also think being 7 pounds lighter and nourishing myself with good food has helped as well!:)

swick -- I am doing a modified version of Whole30/keto/low carb right now and I feel am thoroughly enjoying it! I've noticed I can stay full longer between meals (even longer than when doing true W30). I have kept butter back into my food rotations with no issues and occasionally cheese, so that is the only reasons I can't call it eating true W30 style. But I decided that is what the W30 is about anyways -- it's not meant to eat that way forever, but rather a food reset to see what works best for YOU!:) Let me know if you try it! At first, I thought it would be hard to keep the net carbs down, but it really hasn't been that hard at all. I've been tracking what I eat to see what my net carbs are each day but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

1967mama -- CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your Whole30! Your story really resonated with me because I also started and stopped a couple of times before making it through another one. Really proud of you!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:18:16 AM by Liz »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #425 on: November 10, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
Horsepoor - Yeah, the snacking/drinking in the evenings is a hard habit to break, especially at first. We had a super hard time at first just figuring out how much food to eat. I went from being a grazer/mini-meal habit so the idea of sitting down for three large meals a day and eating the volume of food required at each meal was really tough. It was especially harder at night when we didn't get the balance right. What has worked for us is we eat as much as we want, eat 20 minutes and have another serving of dinner or veggies.

This doesn't really help with the psychological side of things those, for that it helps to have a bunch of strategies to distract yourself of replace your habits/triggers with healthier options, like your yoga, that is great!

I'm grumbly, but I am glad I did it today. Much better to get it out of the way then have it ruin my trip this weekend!

Liz - So cool that you found the hike easier! I will definitely be picking your brain for your experiences! I'm starting on the 16th (officially) not planning on reintroducing anything else this time around - since what I would be introducing would be off limits under the low-carb lifestyle anyways.

Faraday - Dude, you come in, slowly convert some of us to at least the idea of trying keto - and then you disappear! Hope your doing well, wherever you are! (Yup, shameless attempt to get you to check in) ;)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #426 on: November 10, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
Hi all, great to see so many posts to catch up on. Swick, I'm sorry you're feeling so rotten. I hope it.improves soon. I can see the benefit though of knowing that you don't eat wheat because it makes you feel awful rather than whole30 being the reason. I was going to roll straight into a whole60 and squeeze my reintro into the 13 days before xmas but am rethinking that strategy.  Don't want to be feeling lousy over the holidays.  So it might be better to do the 10 day reintro from Saturday and then give myself a whole30 after to recover! 1967mama, so proud of you for rocking into the next one. It's funny how you think Day31 will be a big blow out and you just don't want to. Day 27 here for me. Ate too much meat yesterday and woke up not hungry for breakfast. The water drinking is going well and I feel better for it. My body is now shouting at me 'do some exercise!!'. I spontaneously dropped to the ground and did a bunch if push ups and planks. It was like my body was possessed by a demon force.  Even broke into a run coming back from dropping kids at school. I used to be fit but have let that slide in a big way since kids but as the fat slides off I am pleased to report some muscle is still under there. Will squeeze some exercise into my day whenever I can now.  Have a great one everyone. Ks

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #427 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
Faraday - Dude, you come in, slowly convert some of us to at least the idea of trying keto - and then you disappear! Hope your doing well, wherever you are! (Yup, shameless attempt to get you to check in) ;)

I'm here, I'm here! I'm getting a few things in life straightened out - beginning-of-winter service for my two best bikes, buying a new bike for DW (no craigslist options panned out - people here ask a lot for their used bikes, whether they are quality or not...). I got this headcold going around past Sunday night, so I've been hitting the sack early.

swick, I don't know if it was you or someone else, but I'd accepted a challenge to limit online time, so that wiped out my late-night lurking/posting. Going into internet moratorium did help me to go to bed on time, but I'm not sure I'd say I'm actually addicted. I didn't so much care about the missing time, but I DID miss all you folks in the Whole30 thread!

swick, is it you looking at going KETO? Have you done so yet, and are you really wanting to go for that with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and the like bearing down on us?

Keto, by it's nature is a very subversive diet/lifestyle. I ran into no end of challenge, bullshit and argument. I don't mean I went looking for it, I mean it got dished up almost instantly by people very invested in their high-carb, high-foodshit lifestyles.

I'm not discouraging you. I'm just saying that as we enter the peak of the Season of Insanity, it exposes the practitioner of the ketogenic lifestyle to more criticism and potential conflict. I cling to the ketogenic lifestyle even more energetically as winter comes on because I know our bodies want to pack on the LBs as it gets colder....but let me tell you something: a trip to Walmart involves a lot of "artificial anger and indignance". It's how I walk past five giant displays of OREOS and don't buy any. Anger, indignance and holding sacred the path I've chosen.

Yes, living the keto lifestyle is sacred to me. I had about 15 chronic health problems clear up. Both Alzheimer's disease and diabetes is rampant on both sides of my family. So there's no bending of my choices to someone else's will. And let me tell you, people came at me like you'd think I'd announced I had become a crackhead.

Some people would hear second-and-third hand and decide they were gonna get me to "cheat". TO those people, I'd respond with shock and awe. Many times, I'd "put them off" or offend them, because I'd call them out and challenge their right to decide what goes in my damn mouth.

What I'm telling you this for is because Whole30 is less subversive and more mainstream than Keto. It invites less controversy because it more-easily co-exists with general thinking about diet.

Now, if you need to increase your insulin sensitivity and avoid diabetes, Keto will do it, but people around you will start to act crazy. You might have to kick 'em in the balls and you might lose a few on the fringes.

I'm happy with the way it played out. People who stuck with me are the people I trust and care about. The people who avoid me, well, they have always been and will always be hopeless spectators.

One other thing: If your family tends to gallstones or kidney stones, you have to be aware of that and potentially have to manage it. Keto encourages the eating of fat and along with that, meats. The cholesterol inherent in these sources of fats and protein can accelerate formation of gallstones.

I've known since I was a child and watched my mother's issues with gallstones, that formation of cholesterol and calcium deposits tends to happen on the mother's side of my family. (I have one brother who deals with kidney stones long-term.) I have developed ways of handling this that work for me, that I'm glad to share. I don't have chronic problems with gallstones, but there is a spot where, when I get a "twinge", I do my maintenance routine. So far it's running about once a year, and I just finished one maintenance regimen. Works like a champ.

Finally: I'm no authority on this stuff and I don't even pretend to know a damn thing about medicine. I just listen to my body, treat everything as an experiment to be judged critically, and move forward from there.

Sorry if this came across as a sermon. I just need all of you to know that I respect you and am super-impressed at what's happened in this thread. You all took Whole30 seriously and changed your lives with it. That's remarkable - I congratulate and respect all of you for  your achievements!!!

I will be here, 110%, for anyone who wants to do keto or Whole30 or low-carb or whatever permutation works for you. ESPECIALLY if you need to do it for health and to avoid diabetes.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:40:04 PM by Faraday »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: November 10, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »
Horsepoor - Your pumpkin breakfast was excellent! I added a sprinkling of pecan pieces on top to up the protein a little. I tried to assess whether it was a SWYPO item and decided it was not. But if I closed my eyes, it tasted almost like pumpkin pie.

Faraday - My daughter is encountering criticism at work on her Whole30. Very frustrating. Why would people be opposed to you eating a healthy diet and trying to better yourself?! It doesn't get her down, and she just laughs as she slips into smaller and smaller clothes that haven't fit in years. Her watch fit again last night. So proud of her. She will be 24 next week. Could you please share your regimen for dealing with gallstones? I have had 2 attacks in the last 10 years, and on this eating plan, I am definitely getting twinges again under my right rib.

Day 2 is going well. Parked a long way from the doctor's office for an appointment this morning and had a nice walk under the beautiful canopy of fall leaves. Lots of deep breaths :-) I would never have enjoyed that pre-whole 30. Also, I'm comfortably wearing an outfit I bought 3 years ago. Love it!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #429 on: November 10, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »

swick, I don't know if it was you or someone else, but I'd accepted a challenge to limit online time, so that wiped out my late-night lurking/posting. Going into internet moratorium did help me to go to bed on time, but I'm not sure I'd say I'm actually addicted. I didn't so much care about the missing time, but I DID miss all you folks in the Whole30 thread!

swick, is it you looking at going KETO? Have you done so yet, and are you really wanting to go for that with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and the like bearing down on us?

<3 you Faraday!
Ahh now I feel like a wee bit of a jerk, it was totally my doing... talking bout limiting screen time! Hubs is doing very well btw :) Glad to hear you are doing well, hope your head cold sorts itself out!

I'm not too worried about the time of year, the last two months have been very good practice for setting boundaries/managing expectations and training people to realize that I decide what is and isn't healthy for me.

There is lots of good info in your post, and I really appreciate you sharing your personal experiences too!

KiwiSonya - Yay for Tigerblood and feeling like exercising! That is awesome! It is such a great and motivating feeling to realize, "yep, I got energy for that!"

1967mama - Yes people suck when you make changes for the better. It is times like that I remember one of the four agreements: "Don't take anything personally" what they say to you, has actually nothing to do with you. Good on your daughter for finding ways to ignore it, valuable life skill!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #430 on: November 10, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
You're awesome,  Faraday. Thanks for being our support crew. I'm keen to experiment with keto once I finish my whole30 in a few days.  Word got around at school that I am "into healthy eating" so a group of mum's has asked me to help them man a stall at the school fair serving beans and rice. Ummm, no thanks.  Ain't my idea of healthy eating.  I might just say I'm too busy. I don't want to take any shit about my food choices and my usual tactic is avoidance...

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »
Fucking awful day of other people's problems. None of them actually mine but a shit storm that everyone wants me to fix. Determined I'm not going to comfort eat my way out of this. Determined for the first time ever. Determined.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
Faraday - My daughter is encountering criticism at work on her Whole30. Very frustrating. Why would people be opposed to you eating a healthy diet and trying to better yourself?! It doesn't get her down, and she just laughs as she slips into smaller and smaller clothes that haven't fit in years. Her watch fit again last night. So proud of her. She will be 24 next week.
I'm telling you, it's the most bizarre thing, how people think it's their business to comment and even try to influence what anyone eat. My previous posting, I had a story about someone trying to do that with me but I deleted it because the tone was just too navel-gazing. I'll just point out that I'm a 53 year old man and I've experienced the same meddling from bystanders that your daughter is seeing. It bothered me so badly at first, now I simply enjoy challenging people's misconceptions. I don't do it as easily as I used to (because I don't CARE) but if I'm poked enough, I come out swinging.

I am SO HAPPY to hear the good news about the watch!!! What a wonderful "side effect" of living healthy, eh?

Also, I'm comfortably wearing an outfit I bought 3 years ago. Love it!
CONGRATULATIONS! Awesome Whole30 work!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2015, 06:51:43 PM »
Why would people be opposed to you eating a healthy diet and trying to better yourself?!

It's one of those societal things that we love to judge each other for.  Similar to cloth vs disposable diapering; breastmilk vs formula feeding; crib vs co-sleeping. Heterosexual vs homosexual. City vs country. And let's not forget car vs bike transportation. Your way of eating is just part of the culture wars, for better or worse.

That being said, I do think the thing that drives diet contention in particular is the subconscious idea that if we control our diet just right, follow exactly the right magical formula, then we won't decay, get old, then die. Some people probably affirm the magical nature of their chosen diet by (still subconsciously) slamming other people's diets. Also, there's probably something lurking around that has to do with the failing cohesiveness of our societies. Even 40 years ago, most places had a single, unified food culture. Now you have choices, and where there's choice there tends to be judgement.

That was, um, possibly longer and more lecture-y than anyone wanted. Hey, howzit y'all? Hope it's going well. And keep on trucking!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #434 on: November 10, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »

<3 you Faraday!
Ahh now I feel like a wee bit of a jerk, it was totally my doing... talking bout limiting screen time! Hubs is doing very well btw :) Glad to hear you are doing well, hope your head cold sorts itself out!

swick, I was tickled that you "called me out". HEY to DH, tell him I'm still being careful to limit. 9:30pm shutoff time worked OK for me and DW is happier about that.

I'm not too worried about the time of year, the last two months have been very good practice for setting boundaries/managing expectations and training people to realize that I decide what is and isn't healthy for me.

Excellent, excellent. swick, you sound to me like you are more than happy to call out the naysayers and doubters and nosy nancies. GOOD ON YOU SIS!

I can't remember if I mentioned it up-thread, but here's the book that gave me my ammunition: "Why We Get Fat (And What To Do About It) by Gary Taubes:  http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
You're awesome,  Faraday. Thanks for being our support crew. I'm keen to experiment with keto once I finish my whole30 in a few days.  Word got around at school that I am "into healthy eating" so a group of mum's has asked me to help them man a stall at the school fair serving beans and rice. Ummm, no thanks.  Ain't my idea of healthy eating.  I might just say I'm too busy. I don't want to take any shit about my food choices and my usual tactic is avoidance...

PREACH IT GIRLFRIEND! I have several keto buddies who came from the "beans and rice" side of the house. Nothing against folks wanting to eat beans and rice, truly. To each his own. But if you are avoiding those foods, by golly yeah, stay away from the school fair.

Fucking awful day of other people's problems. None of them actually mine but a shit storm that everyone wants me to fix. Determined I'm not going to comfort eat my way out of this. Determined for the first time ever. Determined.

DAMB RIGHT GRILFRAND! I like your 'tude! Bring it!
(BTW: that's not a typo. My keto buddies are my "GRILFRANDS"....)

Why would people be opposed to you eating a healthy diet and trying to better yourself?!

It's one of those societal things that we love to judge each other for.  Similar to cloth vs disposable diapering; breastmilk vs formula feeding; crib vs co-sleeping. Heterosexual vs homosexual. City vs country. And let's not forget car vs bike transportation. Your way of eating is just part of the culture wars, for better or worse.

Roger Wilco that SSam. When I started riding my ebike to work, one of my good friends jokingly said "Now you're 'THAT GUY'", and I knew exactly what he meant. I'm on the OUTSIDE now, subversive to the car clowns.

For anyone who cares, here's the bike I converted:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/expedition/expedition-sport
and here's what it looks like now:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45993
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:06:45 PM by Faraday »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
Could you please share your regimen for dealing with gallstones? I have had 2 attacks in the last 10 years, and on this eating plan, I am definitely getting twinges again under my right rib.

ok '67...DISCLAIMER: This shit can get crazy. Even my wife thought I was nutso for a little while, but that's been 20 years ago and now she KNOWS I'm nutso. :-) What I'm posting here is not medical advice and I am not recommending this to anyone, I'm just telling you what I've learned to do over the past 20-some years. I still have my gallbladder and I hope not to have to give it up before I kick the bucket.

My response comes in three levels:

Level 1:
Drink a liter of water, 1/2 liter first, wait 10 mins, finish the 2nd half.
Walk or light exercise.
Load up the bike with 2 liters of water and go for a bike ride.
If it's after dark, I get on the spin bike and ride for 3 songs worth.
Check my pants and belt. (No joke - my pants and belt can "choke" me and give "the twinge")

If this works and the twinge stops, I know I was dehydrated or constipated.

Level 2:
Do everything at Level 1
Cut back on fatty foods, eat more vegetables and salad. This will help the symptoms.
Buy a gallon Apple Juice and drink it 8 oz at a time over the course of a week. (This is not keto-compliant, but I only do it once)
Take Orthophosphoric Acid:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Laboratories-Orthophosphoric-Acid-Ounces/dp/B000S822KK/
Do this for two weeks. Works best on an empty stomach. You want the acid to be able to go quickly to your digestive system. I'm told it shrinks the size of any possible gallstones.

Take Epsom's Salt: Three teaspoons in 12-oz or more warm water.
ALERT: This is nasty shit. And don't do it if you have to be at work or have to be anywhere doing anything: Do it when you have time, like on a quiet weekend when you are at home and have 2-4 hours you can deal with the consequences.
I'm told the epsom's salts will dilate the ducts in the liver and gallbladder, opening them up a little to pass anything that might get stuck.

If Level 2 works, I know I had a little bit of gallbladder blockage. This is what I'm calling my "maintenance procedure".

Level 3:
Full-on gallbladder flush. I prepare with Level 2 for two weeks ahead, then block out a weekend where I can slam on the flush.  ALERT: Again, this is nasty shit.
Somewhat Quick Version:
http://wellnessmama.com/38/liver-gall-bladder-cleanse/
Fancy Version:
http://dramyneuzil.com/is-the-gallbladder-cleanse-safe-for-gallbladder-sludge-and-stones/

This I do like, once every 8-10 years. It's like dropping the nuclear  bomb. You should not have to do this more than once in a great while. I did this only when the radiating pain had gotten extreme...and it did work.

Note: I've never been able to find any scholarly research on what any of this means, and for that reason, I'm very self conscious about posting this stuff here, but you asked, so here's the deal.

There was a time, long long ago, where I had pain in my right side, radiating down my leg and causing trouble up toward my right inner ear.  I'd been going to doctors for all kinds of help and no one could help me - I finally got sick of trying doctors (after a half-dozen visits, I was tired of their guessing), I tried the gallbladder flush and it helped.

WARNING: A gallbladder flush could be dangerous for someone with liver disease or disgestive problems. A key component of the process is getting your bowels relatively empty. Epsom's Salts works your kidneys as well. So ponder this stuff and leave it on the table if you have any doubts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:30:03 PM by Faraday »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
I have LOVED reading today's posts!  We've all got our swagger on with our new confidence. Sailor - You are spot on with your assessment about the social wars, and who is eating the 'right' way.  That's why I will never do the same thing to friends that eat the beans and rice.  Maybe it works for them, so who am I to judge?  But, for me, it doesn't work, and that's the point. Figure out what works for you, and don't let the other asses around us try to change us. I will provide my opinion and what works for me, and let them decide for themselves.

I've also been thinking about dipping my toes into the Keto bandwagon. I was thinking maybe 5 days Keto (but still whole30) and then two days whole30 with fruit and maybe potatoes.  I would try this for a month to see how I feel. After that I may switch to something similar to what Liz is doing..... shout out to Liz for feeling great on the hike!

I'm happy also to report that my stomach FINALLY doesn't feel like it's going to explode. It took 3 frickin' days to feel better. I'm convinced it was grain/gluten, but I need to do a single reintro to be sure.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #438 on: November 11, 2015, 07:35:26 AM »
Hardboiled adobo eggs.  So need to make five dozen.  http://casaveneracion.com/adobo-eggs/

Faraday, thanks for the inspiration.  Love your hard line on sticking with keto.  I think people comment on other's diets more to make themselves feel OK about eating what they don't really want to admit is a shitty diet.  The person who sticks to a different, but we'll thought out diet (vegan or low fat or whatever) is much more rare than the average consumer of processed junk and fast food.

I feel lucky that my coworkers are all pretty educated and don't act like assholes when I opt out by traveling with a cooler.  I usually just say something about having all this good food at home that would go to waste, but I don't think they really care.  Most of them have been around long enough to remember when I weighed fifty pounds more, so they see the result of what I'm doing.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #439 on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
Hardboiled adobo eggs.  So need to make five dozen.  http://casaveneracion.com/adobo-eggs/

Faraday, thanks for the inspiration.  Love your hard line on sticking with keto.  I think people comment on other's diets more to make themselves feel OK about eating what they don't really want to admit is a shitty diet.  The person who sticks to a different, but we'll thought out diet (vegan or low fat or whatever) is much more rare than the average consumer of processed junk and fast food.

I feel lucky that my coworkers are all pretty educated and don't act like assholes when I opt out by traveling with a cooler.  I usually just say something about having all this good food at home that would go to waste, but I don't think they really care.  Most of them have been around long enough to remember when I weighed fifty pounds more, so they see the result of what I'm doing.

No, thank YOU for that recipe and turning me on to that website. GREAT info there, gonna try the eggs.

Congratulations on your weightloss, horsepoor. What about health effects? Have you seen any chronic problems disappear?  What about social effects? Do people "throw you the luv" now that you're 50 lbs down?

You're very lucky to have coworkers who are cool and down with it. I'm amazed, actually. My experience with both Keto and MMM has left me with near-zero faith in the average dude or dudette on the street. I say this not from a position of arrogance, but self protection.

The older I get, the less tolerance I have for being around people who kick themselves in their own balls. As I came to deeper understanding of HACKING WHAT WE EAT and of MMM, I realized we owe it to ourselves to take control and live the life we need to live.

I have one buddy who went on a "potato diet". Claims he lost 20 lbs and several health problems cleared up. Well, I wouldn't do that myself, but more power to him if it works for him, maybe he was living on OREOS and Reese's Cups before he did that.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I need to go find some bacon... :-)

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #440 on: November 11, 2015, 09:44:57 AM »
Thank you mom22boys!!! I think it's so cool that we are on page 10 of this thread! Love the support and information in this thread!

Just wanted to share some things I've been eating the past few weeks:
Eggs and bacon... Of course! I spring for the sugar-free bacon but it's definitely not a necessity, I just like the taste. Also sautéed spinach with a little bit of nutritional yeast sprinkled on it
Homemade buffalo wings made with Kerrygold or ghee and Frank's with Whole30 mayo
Bunless Hamburgers with guacamole and Bubies pickles
Homemade buffalo chicken salad
Tuna cakes (thanks for the recipe Sailor Sam!) and tuna salad
Homemade pizza, once so far but will be making it again (Google keto pizza)
Tablespoon or two of Sunbutter for a snack
Taco salad with salsa and W30 mayo

So basically W30 style with no sweet potatoes and fruit (and of course, the pizza is not W30 spirit)
Honestly I've found it so easy to eat low, low carb for breakfast and lunch that I can indulge in some heavier carb stuff if I want to while still staying under 25 net carbs.

I try to stay within the W30 parameters when eating at home, except some occasional low lactose dairy items. I've eaten out a few times, especially this past weekend when out of town, and didn't sweat it if my bacon had sugar in it or whatever

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:50:42 AM by Liz »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #441 on: November 11, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »
Can we mutate the thread a little bit? I want to hear stories from all of you about:

1) Health changes. I mean DETAILS. Things like:
- where on your body did you lose weight the fastest? (face and back, for me) Where did you lose weight the slowest? (belly, oh god belly)
- how did you do with clothes? Did you find it easier, harder, or no different to find clothes that fit (or pull old clothes out). I found that pants became more difficult because I lost weight faster everywhere but my waist. So when I could get into size 38 pants, they fit me everywhere except I still got "choked" around my bellybutton.
- what chronic problems lessened or disappeared? (for me it was digestive problems - originally diagnosed as IBS - reflux, sinus trouble, various aches and pains)
- what things dramatically improved? (sleep! I could finally get to sleep easily and quickly. Sense of smell, sense of taste. I can now detect sugar much better. I can ride my bike +2mph faster or more.)
- what unexpected things changed? (I can fit in car seats better, more comfortably.)
- anyone saving money by doing away with doctor visits or drugs or both?

2) Social changes:
- what kinds of comments do you get while on your journey? (both good and bad?)
- What's the most dramatic turn-around you've seen in someone's behavior since "before" and "after"?
- Have you enjoyed any new social benefits? (like MMM talks about, for example)
- Do you think the changes have given you benefits at work, at home or with family?

I think these things have been touched on, but I just want to call them out and solicit comment.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #442 on: November 11, 2015, 11:22:07 AM »
So I survived the fucking awful day without stuffing my face so I'll take that as a win. Also felt more clear headed enough to think 'actually this is your problem not mine, I'll support you but you need to sort it out yourself. ' You can't imagine as a lifetime emotional eater how big this change is going to be carried forward. I reckon I have at least 5kg of other people's problems hanging off my body because I ate instead of saying sort your own shit.
Now to your question Faraday. I noticed my face shrinking first, and rings started twirling. I reckon the mummy tummy will take the longest to go -pants heaps looser but it's still there. I have been lucky to avoid serious health problems so far but here's what I have noticed: less adult acne, skin looking glowing, my big dark undereye circles are improving (but not gone), stronger faster growing nails and I bite them less (gross I know), whites of my eyes look brighter and teeth look whiter too, my muscles are appearing more defined - I have a naturally muscular build but was looking more blobby before,  my PMS symptoms have disappeared entirely, I am no longer on a constant 3 hour must eat cycle with massive highs and lows (wired vs literally lie on the couch), can chase after my boys all day long and not feel exhausted,  much improved moods, I laugh more off instead of getting grumpy when the boys are swinging on the furniture,  raging sugar cravings are subsiding (but still need to restrict fruit and dates further to get this under control), much better sleep so deep I feel like I must have been unconscious,  my relationship with food is more healthy as I learn to eat when im hungry rather than for other reasons. I could go on all day but obviously it has been all good!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: November 11, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »
So I survived the fucking awful day without stuffing my face so I'll take that as a win. Also felt more clear headed enough to think 'actually this is your problem not mine, I'll support you but you need to sort it out yourself. ' You can't imagine as a lifetime emotional eater how big this change is going to be carried forward. I reckon I have at least 5kg of other people's problems hanging off my body because I ate instead of saying sort your own shit.

KiwiSonya, you did freakin' amazing. FWIW I am  SO SO proud of you! Sending you a great big hug from across the globe :) and...

"I reckon I have at least 5kg of other people's problems hanging off my body because I ate instead of saying sort your own shit."

I can so relate, but had never thought of it like this before. Mind. Blowen.

Faraday, will answer your questions when I have a chance. I think it is a great idea!

Just wanted to pop on now to celebrate and acknowledge KiwiSonya's awesome success :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:45:52 AM by swick »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #444 on: November 11, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »
Ok Faraday, here's some of my info:
Health changes
 - Definitely weight lose. When I was cleaning this weekend, I found a sticky note with my weight from January 2015. I'm done a little over 30 lbs from that time, with still 50ish to go (maybe more, maybe less).  But, I'm not weighing myself more than once a month, so I'm worried about it. It will come with time and sticking-to-it.
 - My face/neck is always the first place for it to show, which I like. I also see a big difference in my waist and chest.
 - I'm finally wearing the clothes that fit me BEFORE I was pregnant with my first son, so I haven't had to buy much new-to-me clothes yet.
 - Chronic problems - Neck/jaw issues and ALWAYS SLEEPY! Those are gone. At night I clench my jaw occasionally. Before when that happened, it would give me a bad neck ache and my jaw would hurt bad too. Sometimes it got so bad, that it would literally make me sick....like throwing up. It's because it would make me feel unsteady and slightly dizzy. At work, I'm not nearly as tired, and can actually focus again and think more clearly.
 - My sleep is WAY better.  I can't remember who said it in a previous post (maybe Liz???) but when I sleep now, I feel like I'm unconscious, or like someone has given me drugs for sleeping (but of course in a good way :-)). I'm still a little tired when I first wake up, but that passes within 5 minutes. I know this will get even better and I'll likely need less sleep. At least that's how I was when I was within my normal weight.
 - MONEY: Every time I would get the neck and jaw aches, I would often have to go to the chiropractor. Not any more!  That's saving me at least $50 a visit, which could often get to 3-4 visits each time. Eventually I will need to get more clothes as I keep losing weight, but that's a good problem for me. :-)  I'm not a fashionista at ALL, so I get by pretty cheap buying from 2nd hand stores, and shopping sales.
 - SUGAR!  Yesterday at work a co-worker had some extra doughnuts and brought them by my desk to see if I wanted one.  He stopped in my door way and said "oh yeah, I bet you wouldn't want one of these....and by the way I admire what you're doing." But, WOW, I could smell that sugar and it really was too much! I didn't like it, and realized that even my smell is more sensitive to sugar.
 - Whenever I would eat certain types of ketchup or salsa, my face would start to sweat. I knew that there was a preservative in them that my body didn't like. Of course, I don't have that problem any more since I don't eat the crappy stuff any more.
 - Sick - I haven't been sick at all for months, even though the flu is pretty rampant here now. No colds either, which is surprising. I'm sure I will catch something eventually, but I really believe it won't be nearly as often or as sever. Time will tell!

Social
 - Cleaning up my eating has also encouraged me to clean up other areas of my life. I think it was KiwiSonja that mentioned the tidying up book from Marie Kondo. I also was reading that book. I haven't finished it yet, but I've been in the momentum to get rid of stuff. I've been selling stuff on my local FB rummage sale site, and a few things on eBay. I love walking into a room and asking 'what can I get rid of today'?
 - My co-workers are pretty supportive, as I mentioned above with the doughnut, but I still get the occasional "oh just eat it, you only live once" comments. I've been pretty honest though and tell them that yeah, but when I eat it I feel super crappy. I've even gone as far as telling some people that I'm allergic. Ok, maybe my allergy isn't that I'll die, but it will give me a sweaty face, make by stomach feel like it's going to explode, make me gain 20 lbs. But they don't need to know the details. :-)
 - My family is more supportive now that they have also gone through this with me. I just wish it stuck. My mom told me last night that they are completely back to their old habits, and then she lamented AGAIN, about not getting off her blood pressure meds. MOM!  STOP EATING THE CRAP! I can only encourage (and push) so far, but at least they know what to do.
 - I feel more confident. I'm walking taller, and dressing better. I'm wearing jewelry more often. I'm thinking about my hair more (without wasting a ton of money). I'm even feeling like maybe dating again. Life is crazy busy though. I honestly don't know if I will or not (because I HATE online dating sites), but I feel better with the confidence that I COULD date again. For now, I'm investing into myself and my boys.

Ok, how's that list?  :-)  I'm sure I can add more later, but I don't think it's too bad for over lunch hour.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:45:46 AM by mom22boys »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2015, 11:57:04 AM »
You are amazing KiwiSonya!   - One day at a time! A clear mind sure helps, especially when you realize it's other people's shit and not your own to deal with.

Liz - Thanks for posting your food list. Tuna cakes are definitely in my future soon. I just loved the NomNomPaleo recipe. It's fun to crave nutritious food.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #446 on: November 11, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
Thanks Swick, hugs back to you. It was your post on emotional eating that got me on the right track. Thanks also,  mum22boys. That is an awesome list of improvements. I had totally forgotten that I was teeth grinding and clenching and the dentist wanted to fit me with a mouth guard to stop it - a good $600 saved as I haven't done it since I started whole30. But after a busy morning looking after a gaggle of under 5's, I reckon the biggest life change is feeling up for anything.  It's hard to put into words but I feel like a yoke has been lifted and I have the energy and zest to take on anything.  I'm no longer constantly thinking that I have too much on my plate and I can't cope. Basically I'm saying yes to life. Can't put a price on that. Could it be that a tranche of bad life decisions amongst the populace is a result of bad food choices? Wow, that thought kind of blows my mind.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Folks (ladies?) I KNEW your answers would be AWESOME!!!

I can't tell you how much you have MADE MY DAY. The kinds of things you have said in this thread make a Warrior's Heart BURST!

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »
Health changes:
- Reduction in sleep needs from ~9 to ~7 hours a night, plus I have been dreaming a lot more.
-My joints are much less achey.
- I have a small cavity in my mouth that is apparently healing over. My dentist still wants to fill it, but it is pretty darn cool that it has stopped itself!
~17 lbs of weight loss this time around. Last year I lost about 20 lbs eating paleo, and then gained back ten when I went back to normal eating, so my total weight lost has been around 30 lbs. I am now inside the healthy BMI range for my height. I've lost most of it from my ribs, breasts, back, belly and thighs. It is also quite visible in my face. I think a lot of my thinner face is from losing the water weight I carry from food sensitivities.
-Very steady blood sugar.
-less puffy in general.
- I used to wake up in the morning with a body that felt really off until I ate something. This is gone now.
-My skin looks way healthier. This tends to change pretty fast on my body. I now look about as healthy with no makeup as I did before with the minimalist makeup that I often wear.
-My stomach burbles less and my digestive issues are gone.
-less prone to minor infections.
-My sweet tooth is largely gone. I still struggle some with emotional eating, but the degree to which I am in control of my food decisions is absolutely amazing.

Other:
-I get flirted with a bit more when I go out.
-Money - I need to get all of my pants taken in, and about half of my shirts are too big as well. I do not own a bra that fits at all. Financially, weight loss can be expensive.
-I am learning to be a much better cook.

On another note, I did some research on keto, and it looks like I tend to be right on the edge of ketogenic with the way that I eat. I am probably crossing the line into ketoland about 1/2 - 1/3 of the time. Today I had meat, veggies, and an egg for breakfast, meat and veggies with a couple handfuls of almonds and a few raisins for lunch, and dinner will be meat and veggies with some butternut squash. Although the food changes day to day, the ratios of carbs, fats, and proteins are pretty consistent.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »
I LOVE hearing all this great and awesome news, it just keeps getting better and better! Most of the things everyone is saying are consistent with what I experienced after going keto.  Well, not the bra stuff (I'm a dude), but you get the idea. :-p  I'll just leave that stuff to you ladies.

I'd rather die than give up the progress I've made. (and if I did give it up, I surely would die from diabetes... :-( )

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!