Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427474 times)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
Re: Whole-30 Starting Sept 8th. Want to join us?
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
Hi all, I have loved reading this thread with your highs and lows. I have just discovered Whole30 and have done a few weeks on and off but struggled to stick with it. I developed the same weird metallic taste in my mouth that I had when pregnant (and I'm not). Any ideas what that could be? I do love the feeling of stable blood sugar as I have always been on a bit of a sugar rollercoaster. Have some weight and belly chub to lose and have just started allergy season in New Zealand and I want to be unmedicated for a change. I've always suspected I have a dairy allergy so this will be a good test. Won't be easy as I'm visiting my parents with the kids for the school holidays but they've read Wheatbelly so have some grasp of the concept. Was tempted to say I'd start after the holidays but there can always be an excuse not to start. So fuck it, I'm just going to start now.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2015, 10:53:06 PM »
Thanks Liz,

I had a 5 or so hour nap, not sure what that is going to do to my system :S

KiwiSonya - Awesome that you are joining us! One thing I would consider before starting and having a holiday at the same time -  we found it takes a whole lot more thought, meal planning and even prep work than we are use to. I would find it almost impossible if we tried to do it on holidays!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »
Hi all, I have loved reading this thread with your highs and lows. I have just discovered Whole30 and have done a few weeks on and off but struggled to stick with it. I developed the same weird metallic taste in my mouth that I had when pregnant (and I'm not). Any ideas what that could be? I do love the feeling of stable blood sugar as I have always been on a bit of a sugar rollercoaster. Have some weight and belly chub to lose and have just started allergy season in New Zealand and I want to be unmedicated for a change. I've always suspected I have a dairy allergy so this will be a good test. Won't be easy as I'm visiting my parents with the kids for the school holidays but they've read Wheatbelly so have some grasp of the concept. Was tempted to say I'd start after the holidays but there can always be an excuse not to start. So fuck it, I'm just going to start now.

Hi from a fellow seasonal allergy sufferer! I'm glad you mentioned the metallic taste in your mouth because I had the same thing for the first couple of days. I didn't really think about it until now! It went away a few days ago. I wonder if it was an imbalance of some kind? Maybe stress?

I've already noticed that taking cheese out has helped my allergies immensely. I did have a flair up last night (kept waking up with a runny nose) and I am hoping it is just the rest of the bad junk getting out of my system. Unfortunately I was eating pretty poorly right before I started my Whole30, and I am paying for it with the headaches I am getting at night. I am starting to feel great during the days though! On Day 6 today!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
Could the metallic taste be from ketosis?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2015, 11:38:05 AM »
Today is certainly off to a better start then yesterday.

Hubby is still really, really struggling with energy levels. He has been firmly in the day 6-7 stage (I just want a nap…) since Monday. He is getting his regular amount of sleep but he is waking up tired, struggling all day at work and then basically being a zombie when he comes home. I'm not sure what to do, and if anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Given we are on day 17, I'm getting a little concerned.

I was sick for a couple of weeks coming into this, so I expect my results to not be quite as quick...but it seems like Hubs is not only not seeing any improvements, things are worse than normal. Awfully hard to keep him motivated when he is struggling this much.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »
Hey Swick, bummer your husband is struggling so hard. I'd suggest having him track his macronutrient ratios (protein, carbohydrates, fat) for 2-3 days. According to my research, people can fall into a triangle of misery on paleo-type diets. Where protein/carbs are juuuuust high enough to keep someone out of ketosis, but not high enough to provide the glycogen needed for normal energy flow.

If he's not enthused about tracking things, just eat a potato. If he feels better, then add some carbs.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
Hey Swick, bummer your husband is struggling so hard. I'd suggest having him track his macronutrient ratios (protein, carbohydrates, fat) for 2-3 days. According to my research, people can fall into a triangle of misery on paleo-type diets. Where protein/carbs are juuuuust high enough to keep someone out of ketosis, but not high enough to provide the glycogen needed for normal energy flow.

If he's not enthused about tracking things, just eat a potato. If he feels better, then add some carbs.

Thanks Sailor Sam, Hubs ALWAYS feels better after he gets potato in him :D I think it is at least 1/2 psychological as he is rather fond of Potatoes.  So it sounds like what you are saying is he's teetering on keto but not quite there, and not getting the glucose he needs for normal functioning. That makes sense. So it looks like we have to pick a direction, eh? I don't think He'd hold up to not being able to have the potatoes and fruit he'd have to cut out to cross over. I think the whole 30 is a a big enough shift int he first place to start with.

Is there a way to kinda "test out" Keto? Try it for just a while to see? Or does it harm your body to go back and forth? I did some research, but I didn't find anything on that specifically.

P.S. I love this community, and this little support group we have going. You all ROCK!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
Back home!  Yipppeeee!  I have to say....traveling while on Whole30 is super tough, unless you can take most of your food with you (which I didn't). I'm happy to report that I DID IT! Stayed on plan. Yesterday I was able to find eggs and a banana for breakfast. Lunch at the customer site was catered in sandwiches and salads.  I couldn't eat any of it, since it was all covered in mayos/dressings. So, luckily it was very informal, so I ate my banana and almonds, but no protein. My coworker didn't even realize I didn't eat until I told her at supper, so I was pretty stealth with it.  :-)  For supper I had a good steak (again), salad, and baked potato. The restaurant was very helpful and the service was great. This morning, I couldn't find any protein at the airport, so once again I had almonds and a banana and apple. Luckily I was able to find a hard boiled egg, and compliant chicken at the next airport.

Welcome KiwiSonya!  I've also had the metallic taste in my mouth for about a week.  I figured it was ketosis, at least that's what I'm hoping. :-)

SailorSam - Yes, can you explain the whole carb/protein balancing a little more?  Swick - What do you mean by 'pick a direction'?  Just meaning that more potatoes would mean hubs wouldn't be in keto? Other than weight lose, is there really a benefit for being in keto? I'm read a little in this area, but I have to admit, I don't understand a lot of it.

I should also add that there are some people who also just can't completely cut out some of these foods. My sister in law did the Whole30 a couple years ago, and if I remember right, her blood pressure dropped due to some issue she's had with her thyroid. So her doctor told her to NOT do the whole30 any more.  She is gluten intolerance though, so she does portions of it, just not all the food groups. I think her situation is pretty rare, but it's always important to remember that we aren't all the same, and some people react different than others.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. Glad I'm not the only one with the metallic taste.  If it's ketosis then that's good right? Started my day with stirfry of ground beef and vege. I actually really enjoy meat and vege and have decided I prefer it to standard fare. Have a banana in my bag for the plane and my parents are 5 mins walk from a supermarket so hopefully I will be able to secure appropriate provisions. Hopefully holiday time will be less rushing around and more time to prep meals so am optimistic I can do it.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
YAY AWESOME JOB!!! *Super high five!!!*
YOU DID IT!!!! (can you tell I'm uber impressed?) So glad you were able to stick with it. Sounds like there were some challenges, but you managed to overcome them!

SailorSam - Yes, can you explain the whole carb/protein balancing a little more?  Swick - What do you mean by 'pick a direction'?  Just meaning that more potatoes would mean hubs wouldn't be in keto? Other than weight lose, is there really a benefit for being in keto? I'm read a little in this area, but I have to admit, I don't understand a lot of it.

That's kinda what I was thinking and meant when I said "pick a direction" to go into Keto or not..I'm pretty fuzzy about it as well. There is A LOT of conflicting info.  Hubby does need to lose some weight so it is worth exploring.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »
I never thought about metallic mouth = ketosis, but that definitely makes sense!

Congrats mom22boys!!! It sounds like you did awesome while traveling, which is one of the hardest parts about the Whole 30 to me!

I hit the "tired" phase this evening -- had a major headache so I laid down for a little bit and ended up napping for two hours!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
SailorSam - Yes, can you explain the whole carb/protein balancing a little more? 

Well, I’m not in any way an expert, but I do find this stuff interesting. General caveats about not being a chemist.

Here are a few givens:

1. Our cells need energy in order to contract. Important!
2. The energy packet they prefer (like Pandas prefer bamboo) is ATP
3. BUT cells can only store ~3 seconds worth of ATP inside themselves

Shit! My heart is only going to keep beating for 3 seconds!? Fear not BECAUSE our muscles can store a complex carbohydrate called glycogen.

1. Glycogen is actually a bunch of glucose molecules hooked together
2. Our cells can take a glycogen molecule, and break it back into a glucose molecule
3. Once the cell has glucose, it can break the glucose molecule into ATP

Cells have 2 different recipes for making ATP. One needs oxygen (aerobic), and one doesn’t (anaerobic). This point isn’t important right now, but it is fascinating!

BUT where does the muscle’s glycogen come from? The magic liver!

1. The major building blocks of all the food we eat are protein molecules, fat molecules, and carbohydrate molecules.
2. When protein and carbohydrates are digested, one of the results is glucose
2.1 Carbohydrades convert easily, protein less easily.
3. This glucose enters the blood stream through magic I don't really understand. It just does, okay?
4. The liver takes the glucose from the bloodstream, and squishes the glucose together to make a glycogen
5. If cells in the body start to get low on glycogen, the liver will convert glycogen back to glucose and send it out via the bloodstream.
6. The cells get glucose, which can be made into ATP, which keeps your heart beating, etc

In the above system, the main driver of energy is glucose, which comes from carbohydrate molecules. The process is called glycogenesis, and our bodies really like to exist in that energy state.

BUT what if the body doesn’t take in enough carbohydrate molecules to keep all the cells full of energy?

1. First the cells, then the muscles, then the liver gets depleted of glycogen.
2. Once that happens, a back up energy system comes on line.
3. Instead of using glucose to make ATP, the backup system uses fatty acids to produce ATP.
4. While in ‘backup’ the liver takes fat molecules, and turns them into something called ketone bodies
5. I’m a shaky on the conversions, so don’t ask, OKAY?
6. The liver sends the ketone bodies into the bloodstream, the cells snarf them up, and make ATP. Your heart keeps beating

Moral of story: if you stop eating enough carbohydrates, the muscles and liver runs out of glycogen. The liver shifts over to metabolizing fat.

The plot twist(!), the liver doesn’t really like to burn fat. It will try to limp along making glucose with minimal carbohydrates. Protein can also be used to make glucose, so if you eat enough protein even in the absence of carbs, you may stay in glycogenesis. 

1. When glycogen shortage happens, the liver prioritizes the important organs, shorting the muscles and sometimes the brain
2. WHICH MEANS, carb levels that are below ideal energy but still above switching to ketosis make you tired, angry, hungry, exhausted, etc. If you've ever experienced an exercise 'bonk' then you know glycogen depletion. It's not a happy place. 

That was hard. Anyone still reading?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »
2. WHICH MEANS, carb levels that are below ideal energy but still above switching to ketosis make you tired, angry, hungry, exhausted, etc. If you've ever experienced an exercise 'bonk' then you know glycogen depletion. It's not a happy place. 

That was hard. Anyone still reading?

Thank you Sailor Sam!  I did read the whole thing, and I agree that it's pretty fascinating!  The one that really caught my attention was your last point, with kinda being in the middle of the switch.  I've also been struggling with being tired over the last week, and this really helps me understand the WHY behind it.  I've been sleeping like a rock at night, so I've been a little baffled why I feel so tired. Just shows that I need to experiment a little bit with what foods I'm eating, and then how it impacts my tired/awake feeling.

SailorSam - Weren't you the poster on another thread that talked about experimenting with your body weight and that you had as much of a weight difference of like 20+ pounds from one day to another? I think you've got a good handle on how your body works.  :-) 

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2015, 01:48:23 PM »
Thanks for that great explanation,  Sailor Sam. Isn't the body such a complex and amazing system.  You guys were right that holiday Whole30 isn't going to be easy. I'm committed to doing my very best but can see that 100 percent compliance is going to put me offside with my family. My Mum bought out the Everything in moderation line as she offered me specially baked ginger biscuits - argh! How is cereal for breakfast,  sandwiches for lunch and burgers for dinner moderation? I didn't eat the biscuit offered on the plane, ate the filling of a bacon and egg pie and plain salad for lunch and had burger contents minus bun for dinner. Happily went 6 hours between breakfast and lunch which never would happen usually without hangry setting in. But didn't eat enough for lunch so needed afternoon nut and fruit snack. So I caved on a small guilt biscuit but otherwise did alright. Feeling great and like my body is changing if that makes any sense.  Woke up this morning with what feels like bad breath and the metallic taste so something's happening. Going to have eggs for breakfast and will take salad and leftover burger patties with me on our picnic lunch to the beach as my sister is making pizzas to take (more of that grain moderation!).

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2015, 01:34:03 PM »
Holidays still proving problematic,  this will have to be my prelude to whole30 but I'm doing the best I can. Woke up with some big acne spots that hurt on my neck - guess that could be hormones and getting rid of toxins.  Yesterday's slip up was deep fried fish and chips (a kiwi favorite). I noticed it was fried in beef tallow which I guess is better than vege oil but certainly not whole30 compliant. I woke up this morning with slight metallic taste in mouth and noticed to my surprise that I was breathing through my nose. As a lifetime mouth breather this was a bit of a shock,  perhaps keeping away from dairy will fix that and my allergies. Had a headache at bedtime last night but otherwise feeling good.  Hope everything good with the rest of you. Sonya

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »
Holidays still proving problematic,  this will have to be my prelude to whole30 but I'm doing the best I can. Woke up with some big acne spots that hurt on my neck - guess that could be hormones and getting rid of toxins.  Yesterday's slip up was deep fried fish and chips (a kiwi favorite). I noticed it was fried in beef tallow which I guess is better than vege oil but certainly not whole30 compliant. I woke up this morning with slight metallic taste in mouth and noticed to my surprise that I was breathing through my nose. As a lifetime mouth breather this was a bit of a shock,  perhaps keeping away from dairy will fix that and my allergies. Had a headache at bedtime last night but otherwise feeling good.  Hope everything good with the rest of you. Sonya

Funny you posted this, earlier this morning I was reading an article about nose breathing exercises for asthmatics and allergy sufferers. I've noticed my allergies are under control during the day, but still not that great at night (when laying down). I might try a neti pot again.

Day 8 here..plugging along!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
So awesome to hear how everyone is doing!

Thanks for the riveting explanation Sailor Sam, found it very helpful! Are you back on the boat with us? I'm curious how you felt aftwr your couple day break? Any affects? Was it easy to pick up again?

So, last night I had a bit of a slip. Decided to make Nom Nom Paleo's Kahlua pork since I keep hearing everyone rave about it. Ran out of complaint bacon so I figured I'd use a bit of liquid smoke. I've been buying the same brand FOR YEARS because there are no additives or flavoring crap in it. Opened a new bottle and dropped a drop into my mouth to see how strong it was and wouldn't you know, it tasted SWEET. Guess they started putting molasses (and other stuff) in it. So I didn't use it, used some smoked Paprika instead. Was just pissed off that I have been so careful and was doing so good and a damn drop of liquid smoke was my undoing. Not going to stress it and not going to start again, but it is a good reminder to never assume.

Oh the pork...soooo good! Hubby was a very happy camper :D

I've been a life-long mouth breather too, and have been breathing through my nose easily for the past week or so, Didn't really think about it until KiwiSonya mentioned it....

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
Don't beat yourself up over a bit of sauce, Swick. I'm sure we are all doing great things for our bodies by just making honest efforts. I ate more ground beef and vege for meal 1 and was surprised to not get hungry until 3pm and even then I didn't want much. Am definitely feeling trimmer and can bend sideways without rolls forming around my middle.  Interesting that others are noticing the nose breathing. I was once told that mouth breathing is bad for you but thought that was just the way I was made. I'm feeling highly attuned to my body and it's nice to think I could be rid of some niggling things that I always imagined I'd be stuck with. Great to have you guys to talk to. Think my family are already sick of the subject so I'll shut up now, but I can see they are curiously watching me.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the check in, Swick. I am back on board, but I'm finding it really difficult. I'm full of angst and resentment. This morning I stood in front of the donut case at the grocery store and raged at the universe. I'm in full on tantrum mode. I'm sure I'll get over it, but daum, poor me.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2015, 01:59:30 AM »
Hoping you're over the tantrum, Sailor-Sam. My 3 year old did a similar thing at the supermarket today - you should have thrown yourself to the ground and screamed 'but I really want it!!' like he did as it was over quite quickly when I walked away and pretended he was someone else's brat. End of Day 5 now and last couple of days have gone quite swimmingly.  Belt has gone in a notch and I'm feeling good and suprised how easy it has been to say no to the treats. I figure that being out of my usual routine while on holiday has been helpful in many ways. Hope everyone else is going okay.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2015, 08:25:10 AM »
Thanks for the check in, Swick. I am back on board, but I'm finding it really difficult. I'm full of angst and resentment. This morning I stood in front of the donut case at the grocery store and raged at the universe. I'm in full on tantrum mode. I'm sure I'll get over it, but daum, poor me.
Aww it will get better! The angst and resentment at watching a family member devour a whip cream filled, chocolate dipped cream-puff yesterday - then lick his fingers! aaalllmost resulted in actions on my part that would definitely be unsavory and not very sweet.

Great to hear thinks are going well, KiwiSonya! Maybe the holiday is enough of a pattern interrupt that you are able to develop some new habits!

Hubs still struggled all weekend. Last night during on of our philosophical discussions - after hubs had gotten up from laying down again with a headache (he never gets 'em) He decided he wanted to weigh himself. He's an engineer and needs data to make sense of things.

Now, scales aren't an issue for us. I made him get on before the start of the whole 30 and it had probably been at least a year before that. His reasoning was he is okay and can accept the feeling like shit if it is because his body is changing  and starting to use up some of the fat - but if he is this tired and crappy feeling and that isn't the reason, he needs to reevaluate what his body is doing because he is bloody miserable.

Turns out he has lost 5 lbs. We have both been too damn tired so haven't really increased activity levels at all, nightly walks with our pup is about all we have been managing so it is the result of diet changes alone. I can see his cloths are fitting differently, but the hard number confirmed for him that things are happening. It was like a switch went off, he got his second wind, at least mentally :)

One thing we realized is while we moved away from a super toxic town/environment in Dec of last year, we unconsciously took a lot of our eating habits with us. So we have been chatting about those and really digging into the "why" behind all the habits we have developed.

One thing we were guilty of is going and grabbing Subway for supper as we had 4-5 nights a week where we had about 1/2 an hour between hubby getting off of work and having to run out to a community event or meeting. I would say we probably did this about 4 times a month. So I pulled up the nutritional info (Subway doesn't make it easy!) and realized that hubby's usual meal was 1750 calories!! YIKES!! it was the LEAST HEALTHY of all the fast food meals that usually tempt us on those nights we are too busy to cook. Now we have re-structured our lives since moving so I work from home and we haven't gotten super-involved in our community, so we have time to make good food at home - that is a start.  Been very interesting to see what conversations and ideas crop up :)

How is everyone else doing?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »
Oh the pork...soooo good! Hubby was a very happy camper :D

Agree!  That pork is divine! I'm eating some yummy Moroccan meatballs right now, and they are so good also. Next time, I think I'm going to braise my cabbage right in with the meatballs.  Kinda like pigs in the blanket. 

Swick - Glad your hubby is seeing some weight loss.  That does help make it worth the effort. I have about 50 lb to lose, so that's obviously one of my largest goals with this process. But it really is so much more, as I've learned over the course of doing this for 2 times. This time around I didn't even weight myself first, but I can tell a big difference and it definitely feels great to have people comment about my appearance.

This process has definitely helped me rethink what foods I can and cannot live without.  Also, it's helped me recognize my patterns of eating, and how much of that has come from my parent's poor eating habits. It's not something I want to pass to my kids. There has to be a balance, which is something I'm still struggling with, but it's getting easier every day. I want my boys to know that it's ok to have a chocolate chip cookie sometimes.  I don't want to be legalistic about it.  But....I also want to make sure they understand that fruit is also a great alternative and can be just as yummy.  Breaking eating habits of 40 years is not easy.  :-)

One cool thing is that I finally got my parents to do the Whole30 too. They are almost done with week 3, and shockingly haven't cheated.  I just hope they can continue with these better habits.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »
We're doing well!

My girlfriend was out of town this weekend for business (travelling showdog photographer, yes you read that correctly).  For the first time ever on one of those trips, they ate only food brought with her, and she brought enough food for the friend she was traveling with (the key to them actually not going to any restaurants).  She brought leftover meatballs, curried pork with vegetables, fresh fruit, beef sticks (Whole30 compliant) and some carrot cake Larabars.  She and her friend both felt great the whole weekend.  We also got her friend a quart of pasture-raised lard for her birthday (most people would NOT appreciate such a gift!).

Myself this weekend?  I'm a weirdly unpicky guy with food, and I was busy working on my car this weekend while the lady was out of town, so my meals consisted of strange things like (my Saturday) a big portion of randomly-spiced pan-fried ground pork with nothing else for breakfast, an entire bunch of bananas for lunch, raw spinach and raw cashews while in the car driving to Autozone, and an apple later.  Whatever's around, whatever's convenient.

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »
Ah! Just realized I wasn't getting notifications. So I missed about 30 posts. I'm on day 14 (almost half-way)!! I feel pretty stinking awesome, but I still have major sugar cravings. Probably because of my extreme love for peanut butter M&Ms. I know, I know. I probably shouldn't even talk about them.

I noticed this weekend while the baby was napping, I found myself perusing the kitchen every 15 minutes just "looking". I wasn't even hungry, just really bored. Could've also been because the hubs was baking Italian Bread in his bread machine. Yeah, he's evil ... Looking forward to more Tiger's Blood!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »
Ah! Just realized I wasn't getting notifications. So I missed about 30 posts. I'm on day 14 (almost half-way)!! I feel pretty stinking awesome, but I still have major sugar cravings. Probably because of my extreme love for peanut butter M&Ms. I know, I know. I probably shouldn't even talk about them.

I noticed this weekend while the baby was napping, I found myself perusing the kitchen every 15 minutes just "looking". I wasn't even hungry, just really bored. Could've also been because the hubs was baking Italian Bread in his bread machine. Yeah, he's evil ... Looking forward to more Tiger's Blood!

Congrats on being on Day 14! Day 10 here....l like counting up the days {not counting down!}, as a reminder of the streak we all have going on! I finally made it past the headache stage. I'm still not sleeping as good as I would like to be, but that is 100% allergy related. I can also tell my clothes are fitting a little better, which is always a plus!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
Hello Whole30'ers - Keto brother here. Congrats to all of you who are hacking your diet to find your way to a new life! Stick with it, fight the good fight, the returns are worth it!

You are starting your quest at a difficult time of year: End of summer, beginning of fall. I call this the start of the Season of Insanity: food vendors, starting with Halloween and continuing on through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day then wrapping up with Easter, will be shoving HFCS's, sugars and lactose, all embedded in chocolate, at you as hard as they can. (Don't believe me? Count the number of displays of OREOs in Wal-Mart after Halloween. You should see somewhere between 3 and 5 end caps dedicated to them.)

ON top of that, as winter comes on, your body will begin to want to lay in some fat and you'll begin craving shitty, useless "comfort foods". Warm breads, fried potatoes, corn products and almost anything with gluten in it.

And of course, don't forget the State Fairs that started in August (Hello Minnesotans!) and will run almost to Christmas. Damn the fried potatoes, ice cream and funnel cakes.

I say this not to paint a hopeless picture, but to offer strategies that can make you successful - you just need to be aware that there are forces out there actively working against you to sell you crap your body does not need or want.

So, some strategies:
- Be aware of the game-playing. Get mad and don't take it any more. Dig in your heels and be subversive. This works well if you are stubborn by nature.
- Just like Pete/MMM tells us NEVER SHOP, likewise, never go into a store unless you have eaten ahead of time (the proper food) and have a very specific list of what you are there for. Buy that stuff then get the hell out.
- Assemble some great compliant recipes that you love and PREFER to the crapfoods. Sources? ruled.me and ibreatheimhungry.com are two goto websites for me. They have a very-lo-carb zero-gluten pizza that will blow your freaking mind.
- The Crock Pot is your friend. You can make magic food in it that's waiting for you when you get home. If you've never experienced crockpot joy, you don't know what you are missing - to walk in the door from a long day at work to a place smelling rich and beautiful with food in a crock pot is a joy.
- Water is not your friend - water is your DAMNED AWESOME FRIEND THAT WILL SAVE YOUR ASS. Whatever you need to do to drink more and more of it, DO IT: add lemon, add lime (I do that), add whatever will make you drink it that's allowed.
- Sleep. Sleep as much as you need to, preferably cuddling with your favorite SO.
- Stay away from anything chocolate toward bedtime, it'll give you reflux
- We are subversives. Just like the world doesn't get frugalism/MMM, they won't get your diet either. Fuck them, be the subversive you were meant to be.

Fight. Fight for your health, and just remember one thing:

Why Keto? Because Bacon!

Best of success to you all. I now return you to your regular Whole30 program in progress. :-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:13:39 PM by mefla »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the support and useful pointers Mefla. I guess I'm lucky to be in spring in New Zealand but the holiday season looms large too. Apparently they have worked out that Kiwis gain a kilogram or so over the Christmas holidays and never lose it so as a nation we are getting fatter and fatter. I'm feeling awesome and at this point don't want to go back to my old diet - but still plenty of time to finish my 30.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
Yay for updates!

Mom22boys - so awesome that you are getting your parents on board! I'm pretty sure my mom will give it a go - not sure about my dad. He works outside in the snow and has a hugely physical job so I think keeping him fed and able to work through some of the transition would be really tough.

It is quite interesting to look at where we got a lot of our habits and food patterns from. So many are inherited from our parents! They are also the hardest patterns to break!

Ketchup - Traveling dog show photographer!? My first thought was sweet! how do I sign up for that! My second thought was...hmmm that would mean dealing with the humans too...errr...no thanks! It's great that your Gf was able to take her own food with her and get her friend involved!

I think the idea of giving/getting some pastured lard as a birthday gift is awesome!

Jat9449 - Glad you found us again! Sometimes the notifications can be a little flaky. Glad to hear you are doing well and feeling awesome! I can't imagine doing this without my husband doing it with me, pretty sure I would have had my head stuck in the bread machine and been chowing down on that bread :)  WAY TO GO!

Liz - I never thought about it, but you are right, counting UP the days does have a major psychological difference, doesn't it! I wonder what else I can apply this to....

Glad to hear you are getting out of the headache stage!

Mefla - What can I say? I love your posts! Always good reminders. I don't know about you guys, but last Halloween, I wasn't even tempted by the candy - well once I opened the bags and smelled it, even the chocolate. Remember back in the day when even Halloween candy had some actual chocolate in the "chocolate" bars?  You know...that might cure anyone who is really tempted by chocolate, have the first piece you eat after the whole 30 one of those fun size chocolate bars, instant cure :)

KiwiSonya - Good to hear you are feeling great :)

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
Hello Whole30'ers - Keto brother here. Congrats to all of you who are hacking your diet to find your way to a new life! Stick with it, fight the good fight, the returns are worth it!

Best of success to you all. I now return you to your regular Whole30 program in progress. :-)

Love this post, and hi from one southeasterner to another!

Speaking of keto, I really enjoy reading the posts in the keto section of reddit for more information and to keep me motivated {even though it's a little different than Whole30/Paleo, a lot of the key components are similar}. The success/progress posts are truly inspiring!

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »

Why Keto? Because Bacon!

I'm not even keto and I'm inspired!!

My update - skipped breakfast.  I'm about to have lunch - eggs, sausage, zucchini cheeze (zucchini, gelatin,nutritional yeast), sauerkraut and mashed cassava. Now to find some water...

- Water is not your friend - water is your DAMNED AWESOME FRIEND THAT WILL SAVE YOUR ASS. Whatever you need to do to drink more and more of it, DO IT: add lemon, add lime (I do that), add whatever will make you drink it that's allowed.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2015, 10:51:30 AM »
My update - skipped breakfast.  I'm about to have lunch - eggs, sausage, zucchini cheeze (zucchini, gelatin,nutritional yeast), sauerkraut and mashed cassava. Now to find some water...

Now THAT'S a thing of beauty. That meal will easily get you to dinner without any hunger pangs. Eggs are nature's miracle food!

I keep ducks, I have six girls who give me between 4-6 eggs every day. I make a mean cheese omelet that can almost get me completely from breakfast to dinner without hunger pangs. And I sleep like a baby that night....

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »

*Shudders* Every experiment I have ever tried to make Nutritional yeast taste "cheesy" has ended in abject failure. Is yours any good?

Found a spiralizer at the thrift store and made zucchini noodles with a meat sauce turned out pretty good! Had extra sauce so added some spices and turned it into chili to have over sweet potatoes for lunch. 

Hope everyone is having a great day!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »
- - We are subversives. Just like the world doesn't get frugalism/MMM, they won't get your diet either. Fuck them, be the subversive you were meant to be.

Why Keto? Because Bacon!

Ok Mefla, you got me.  When I read the first part line about water, I immediately was like what the heck!  That's just plain crazy!  Water is AWE.SOME. In fact, water is about the only beverage I drink any more.  And then I kept reading. :-)  I was literally LOL since I thought you were crazy at first.  Thank you for the encouragement and really, really great tips.  As you said, I'm really starting to rethink and question food in general, just like I've been rethinking about my finances. Also, yeah for Bacon...now if I could only find some that is compliant for Whole30.  Well, I guess I could technically start eating some on Thursday (day 31 for me!) since the only bad stuff in the Costco bacon I found was trace sugar....hummm things to think about.

Jat - Welcome back! My sugar cravings haven't been too bad, but they have reared their light head again for me the last week. So far I haven't had an issue saying no, but it does make me realize that I need to NOT add it back after day 30. At least not for a longer period of time.

Ketchup - Yeah for your GF!  That's awesome that she took her food with.  I soooo should have done that on my last work trip.  I had every intention of taking more food with me, but just ran out of time. Live and learn.

Liz - Booo for allergies!  I'm so thankful I don't have any (and I hope I stay that way). My sleep has been great the last 2 weeks, so I'm hoping you get to that point too. Eventually the allergies come to an end, right?

Swick - I think your hubby is rubbing off on me.  I have been just doggin' it for the last 2 weeks. 

Today I seriously feel weak and light headed. I'm thinking that I'm not eating enough, but that's hard because I'm NOT hungry.  Anyone else in the boat with me?  Are you eating more?  I've tried to add more fruit to my daily routine, I'm eating potatoes about twice a week, but still feel drained.  I miss week 1, where I had serious Tiger Blood.  I felt frickin' awesome!  I want that back. 

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2015, 08:00:22 AM »
*Shudders* Every experiment I have ever tried to make Nutritional yeast taste "cheesy" has ended in abject failure. Is yours any good?

Found a spiralizer at the thrift store and made zucchini noodles with a meat sauce turned out pretty good! Had extra sauce so added some spices and turned it into chili to have over sweet potatoes for lunch. 

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Have you tried NY on roasted cauliflower? I like it, but then again I sort of like nutritional yeast. 

For the cheese, you can also add extra flavor as well- garlic, parsley, jalapeno etc. 

If you are a cheese connoisseur - don't even bother with this. For me, it's a reasonably tasty vehicle for getting zucchini and gelatin in my belly.  For you, it would be SWYPO. 

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2015, 08:02:19 AM »
Also, yeah for Bacon...now if I could only find some that is compliant for Whole30.  Well, I guess I could technically start eating some on Thursday (day 31 for me!) since the only bad stuff in the Costco bacon I found was trace sugar....hummm things to think about. 

Our local grocery store chain (Publix) sells a brand of bacon called Maverick - no sugar and no nitrites/nitrates. Not particularly expensive either :)

Or pork belly if you can get it. 

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »

Liz - Booo for allergies!  I'm so thankful I don't have any (and I hope I stay that way). My sleep has been great the last 2 weeks, so I'm hoping you get to that point too. Eventually the allergies come to an end, right? 

Today I seriously feel weak and light headed. I'm thinking that I'm not eating enough, but that's hard because I'm NOT hungry.  Anyone else in the boat with me?  Are you eating more?  I've tried to add more fruit to my daily routine, I'm eating potatoes about twice a week, but still feel drained.  I miss week 1, where I had serious Tiger Blood.  I felt frickin' awesome!  I want that back.

How are you feeling today? Better, I hope!! Maybe it was just a one day thing? I'm definitely noticing a small decrease in appetite, and I am liking that I can go longer without feeling hungry {I feel like I was the queen of the grazers before}

I feel like I've always been susceptible to seasonal allergies, and I am in AL where the weather is always changing. I'm tired of having to take OTC medicines and feeling groggy from them. At any rate, I've read success stories where the Whole30 has cured or greatly decreased people's allergies.  But after 12 days, I am still having a stuffy and runny nose {but just at night, which is an improvement}. I bought some quercetin from a natural foods store yesterday. It is supposed to be a natural antihistamine and seemed to help last night. I know there is a low histamine version of the Whole30 which I might try down the road. It just seems pretty restrictive.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »
I feel like I've always been susceptible to seasonal allergies, and I am in AL where the weather is always changing. I'm tired of having to take OTC medicines and feeling groggy from them. At any rate, I've read success stories where the Whole30 has cured or greatly decreased people's allergies.  But after 12 days, I am still having a stuffy and runny nose {but just at night, which is an improvement}. I bought some quercetin from a natural foods store yesterday. It is supposed to be a natural antihistamine and seemed to help last night. I know there is a low histamine version of the Whole30 which I might try down the road. It just seems pretty restrictive.

Keep going Liz, keep going! You should see continuing improvement. My problems faded over a period of about six months into the Keto lifestyle. After a year, mostly gone with the possible exception of the occasional GERD if I ate too late in the day.

I'm much improved today and I'll never go back to the way things were.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
Anyone know what day it is?  That's right....IT'S DAY 30! Woot, Woot! For those of you (which I think is most of you) still on track, keep up the great work.  It is worth it!

I'm going to keep going, and try to figure out what day to start reintroduction. When I start, I'm going to do 2 days of adding the food group back, and then off again for 5 days.  I think a week at a time will be a better gauge. I'm honestly not even sure if I'll weigh myself tomorrow. I don't even know what my starting weight was.  I'm more about just feeling and looking good, regardless of the number on the scale. I'll see how I feel about it in the morning.

I've felt a little better today, but still tired.  It didn't help that I woke up at 5 am.  :-) Today I purposely tried to eat more food. Not stuffed, but a little more full. I think that did help some.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »
Waving at you from the keto end of the pool. Come on in, the water's great! Bacon!

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »
Congratulations to Eilrene and mom22boys!!! You made it through the 30 days and that is a BIG accomplishment! I hope you continue to post in here!

I am on Day 12 and am taking each day as it comes. Trying to really take in the process, as funny as that sounds. I am enjoying nourishing my body with good food and loving the benefits that I am seeing. :-)

I am a little nervous because I will be on a camping/kayaking trip Friday night through Sunday -- my first venture into going out of town on the Whole30. I will be able to bring a cooler, which will be helpful. I am planning on bringing fruit, nuts, avocados, compliant beef jerky, and some RxBars to keep in my dry bag when kayaking. Maybe some tins of tuna, homemade ranch and veggies. We will probably go out to eat Saturday night, so I might even bring some of my own precooked chicken and dressing to add to a plain salad. What else could I bring?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:07:58 PM by Liz »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »
I am a little nervous because I will be on a camping/kayaking trip Friday night through Sunday -- my first venture into going out of town on the Whole30. I will be able to bring a cooler, which will be helpful. I am planning on bringing fruit, nuts, avocados, compliant beef jerky, and some RxBars to keep in my dry bag when kayaking. Maybe some tins of tuna, homemade ranch and veggies. We will probably go out to eat Saturday night, so I might even bring some of my own precooked chicken and dressing to add to a plain salad. What else could I bring?

All that stuff sounds fantastic. I'd add water (or maybe ice to be used for drinking), herbal tea or regular tea if you need it to wake up. Pecans.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2015, 09:57:19 PM »
Trying to really take in the process, as funny as that sounds.

Oh man, I'm terrible at that part. For me, the hardest part of any 30 day food challenge isn't cravings, or frustration with new cooking. It's knowing I have to count up 30 days before I can have the satisfaction of being 'finished.' I want the destination without all that dreary journeying.

And I'll add my congratulations to all the people who completed those 30 days. May we all be there soon!

As for traveling, I'd suggest making a few fat bombs. They stave off terminal hunger, and satisfy sugar cravings for some people. Just google Whole30 fat bomb for recipe ideas. They often need to be kept cold to be solid, so keep them in the bottom of the cooler.

One thing I tried today was chicken broth, with 2 egg yolks stirred in. Found the idea on the internet, and I was super wary. Sounded gross, but it was insanely delicious. Boil the broth gently, drop in the egg yolks, add enough salt. It has the taste and consistency of egg drop soup. Maybe you could take a couple mason jars of broth with you?

One last idea. Make some spicy tuna cakes

Long. Hope that wasn't creepily enthusiastic.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
I'm definitely not going to abandon this awesome group!  Even though day 30 was yesterday, I'm still truckin' along with the same eating.  I might have an occasional food with trace sugar (IE BACON!), but otherwise I'm going to keep with the exact rules. I'm a little torn though.  Do you think it's ok to add just trace sugar back in DURING the reintroduction phase?  I know the book said to not add back sugary sweets, but I don't remember anything about trace amounts.

I decided to weigh myself this morning too. While I have no clue what my starting weight was, I'm guessing that I'm down around 10-15 lbs. I still have about 50 lbs to go to get to my goal weight, but I really am not going to focus on the number any more.

Oh almost forgot...I woke up feeling fabulous today!  Yippee for day 31! When I got to work, I had so much energy I seriously wanted to run around my building. And I'm still feelin' like that at lunch time. 

Eirene - Congrats to you for making it, and even bigger that you're going for the full Whole60.  I may just end up with you at 60 days, depending if I hold out on the trace sugar and reintro phase.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »
mom22boys -- I saw this article on the Whole30 website yesterday, and it should answer your question about having a little sugar during the reintro. {looks like the answer is yes, it's totally fine in small amounts, like you mentioned}

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

And YAY for lots of energy! That sounds awesome! I can tell I have more energy and my mood is better, but not quite running-around-the-building energy yet!;) But hopefully I get there!

My trip this weekend was just postponed due to inclement weather, but I think it will now happen next weekend. I appreciate all of the helpful suggestions, and now I have an extra week to prepare.

Sailor Sam ~ I just bought a pack of Wild Planet tuna from Costco and now I know what I can use for it. Thank you for the recipe!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:09:59 PM by Liz »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »
Thanks Liz!  That was the perfect article for me right now!  Today I had my first non-compliant food.  My friends own a barbeque food truck, and gave me some left over smoked chicken. All the spices are compliant, but it has trace sugar.  Otherwise, I'm still fully on track.  This weekend I need to look at my schedule for the month and determine the best time for reintro. I'm not in a rush.

How's everyone else doing?  SailorSam, thanks for the reminder of the spicy tuna cakes. I've wanted to try them, and kinda forgot about them.

Mefla - I'm buying bacon this weekend.  Just thought you would want to know.  :-)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
How's everyone else doing?  SailorSam, thanks for the reminder of the spicy tuna cakes. I've wanted to try them, and kinda forgot about them.
Mefla - I'm buying bacon this weekend.  Just thought you would want to know.  :-)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
Okay....sooo...forum e-mail notifications NOT working! I have missed so much!

Congrats for finishing mom22boys and Eirene!!!!

Mom22boys -sorry you were channeling hubby, hope you are doing better! As far as getting enough to eat, one thing that has really helped both of us is I started taking our morning tea and whizzing it with the stick blender with a bit of coconut milk and a spoonful of coconut oil - Kinda like bullet proof coffee style but not so extreme. It seems like it has really helped!

I haven't been on the forums for the last few days, not sure if it is the increase in energy or the adrenaline and excitement that a couple of major shifts are happening in my life and business - but I want to get as much done as I can! It's been a little nutty.

I dreaded doing whole 30 for so long (been planning to do it for 6 months) because of all the restrictions, but I don't even really notice them now.

I am all in favor of making this a long-term thread where we can stick around and support each other, you are all awesome :D I really appreciate how everyone is open and willing to share - the good - the bad - the ugly. This journey would have been much longer and way more lonely without having you all here with me - so  - THANK YOU!!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2015, 02:21:06 AM »
Congratulations to those who have completed their whole30! Awesome efforts. I have extended my holiday at my parents for another week as the weather is much better than my home city. I have roughly kept to the program with occasional blow outs. I plan to start again properly when I get home in 4 days. But I continue to feel great and can imagine eating this way more or less for the rest of my life. No sugar rollercoaster, no seasonal allergies (man, the world smells amazing to me now, I didn't ever know that just as geography changes as you move so do the smells!) and no cravings. This has been a life changer and I hope this thread continues so we can all share the journey beyond 30.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
This is one of my favorite threads and I try to check it at least once a day. I truly love reading everyone's posts. I post over on the Whole30 forum too, but I like this thread better.;) I'm on Day 15 and super excited!! I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but once I finished my first W30 a couple of years ago, I had tried several times to start one up a second time - I would make it to Day 10-12 and just kind of give up because the motivation wasn't there. For some reason, something just kind of "clicked" this time around and I know this thread is one of the reasons. So a big thank you to everyone!

I know it's too early to decide if I am going to continue on, but I am leaning towards YES for another 30 days once I finish this round. I think it will take more than 30 days to truly help with my asthma and allergies, although I am already seeing improvements. I might do a slow-roll introduction and continue on as normal W30, but not freak out if there is a trace amount of sugar in bacon, etc. The only thing I am curious about re-introducing is butter -- I have no interest in re-introducing grains or gluten.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »
Weekend wrap-up...How did everyone do?

Outside of the occasional turnip thrown into the stew pot - I cooked my first Rutabaga! To my surprise I like em better than mashed potatoes. Not as keen on the smell as they are cooking though.

Had a cup of coffee this morning, decided I didn't like the instant gut-rot it gives me. Quite happy to stop drinking it. Quite big for someone who use to start out their workday morning with a quad shot of espresso over a scoop of ice cream and call it breakfast ;)

Hubs has been working OT this week and had to work on Sat. It was super difficult for him. He had enough food to work through supper, but when the company pays for restaurant meals during OT, and everyone around you is noshing on pizza (his fave) it is frustrating and demoralizing. I am super proud of him though.

3 days to go, still not 100% sure what our re-intro is going to look like, I imagine it will be much slower and more methodical then they recommend. I think we'll try and eat this way generally, maybe add back a few things (like not worrying if there is sugar in the bacon)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:12:27 AM by swick »