Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427545 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1900 on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
I'm on day 27 and doing ok. The last two days I have wanted to bury my face in a chocolate cake, so your post is in good time for me swick!

I'm wondering how I'll handle re-entry. I don't feel much different and I don't think I have any foods that I react poorly to, but I don't want to rebound with sugar and grains like I'm trying to make up for missing a month's worth!

Hi, Cookie!

That is the super interesting thing, everyone will have a different experience. My sister was MUCH healthier than I was and she didn't really think that any foods had an affect on her. She makes most of her stuff from scratch and eats organic and all of that. She basically did a Whole 30 to support my mom, even she was very surprised to find that she just "felt better" staying away from Wheat, it wasn't anything drastic, but she definitely felt her motivation and ability to focus and think clearly was affected. 

She is still trying to narrow down exactly what it is, but for most of her life she has had periodic outbursts of really bad cold sores, about every month or so and especially after her body gets stressed. After eating whole 30-ish for three or four months she noticed, no cold sores. Then she had a weekend way and ate all the things and had an outbreak within 12 hours. 

It's always interesting to see how people react.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1901 on: January 25, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »
Also, cross-posting from another thread because this is really interesting:

How long does it take for wheat-related symptoms to subside? (i.e. haven't had any today; last wheat product was a sandwich around 4PM yesterday.)

It really depends on what your symptoms are and how long you have been dealing with them. Besides the problems with wheat, there is Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS). Interesting paper here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4517012/

Quote:

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) is a syndrome diagnosed in patients with symptoms that respond to removal of gluten from the diet, after CD and wheat allergy have been excluded [1,2]. The description of this condition is mostly restricted to adults, including a large number of patients previously labeled with “irritable bowel syndrome” or “psychosomatic disorder” [1].

The “classical” presentation of NCGS is, indeed, a combination of gastro-intestinal symptoms including abdominal pain, bloating, bowel habit abnormalities (either diarrhea or constipation), and systemic manifestations including disorders of the neuropsychiatric area such as “foggy mind”, depression, headache, fatigue, and leg or arm numbness [1,2,3]. In recent studies, NCGS has been related to the appearance of neuro-psychiatric disorders, such as autism, schizophrenia and depression [2,4]. The proposed mechanism is a CD-unrelated, primary alteration of the small intestinal barrier (leaky gut) leading to abnormal absorption of gluten peptides that can eventually reach the central nervous system stimulating the brain opioid receptors and/or causing neuro-inflammation.

It's complicated, and the research is still pretty new. That's why trying to see what works best FOR YOU is worth a shot.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1902 on: January 25, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »
Wow, thank you for your helpful and convincing post, swick! I was thinking of extending to a whole45 because this is feeling so good, but then your post convinced me that reintro is similar and a more thoughtful approach.
The reason a whole45 is tempting for me is to figure out if my skin clearing is part of my typical monthly cycle or due partially or fully to a food I've eliminated. I guess it's a bit of pessimism in me waiting for my skin to cycle back to bad again just as soon as I get used to it being clearer. I'm not convinced it's food related yet.

Here are my benefits which I will watch next week in reintro:
-slightly clearer skin
-weight loss (measured by how my pants fit, I don't own a scale)
-no food coma after eating
-slightly more energy in workouts (maybe due to less weight being carried around)
-no more urges for carb or sugar loaded snacks or desserts (freedom!)

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1903 on: January 25, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
In other news, I came down with a cold and will be making Avgolemono today: http://www.dinneralovestory.com/avgolemeno/
I highly recommend it. You can substitute something in for the orzo or just leave it out. I think I'll try diced or shredded potatoes. The eggs make it creamy without dairy.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1904 on: January 25, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »
The reason a whole45 is tempting for me is to figure out if my skin clearing is part of my typical monthly cycle or due partially or fully to a food I've eliminated.

This would be a totally legit reason to stay on whole 30 longer. There are lots of cases where your body simply needs more time. You tend not to develop health issues in 30 days (unless you are really trying, like Supersize Me) so it is unrealistic to think 30 days will solve them all.

For me, I consider my first Whole 30 as the kick-off I needed, it provided me with *enough* proof that it was working for me. but it didn't solve many of my issues. Really, it's an ongoing process and to get to the point I am at now, I would say has taken about a year and a half, but then I had a lot of issues :)

But if you are looking at any ongoing process, doing the reintro really does give you the data and helps your brain understand the "why" behind what you are doing because you will be challenged, you will feel like giving up, or slipping into old habits, or feeling like changes aren't happening fast enough.

Aww, feel better! and I love the idea of an Avgolemeno. I haven't made it in ages! Thanks for the inspiration!

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1905 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
Day 26
Challenges: I tried the chia coconut pudding that a neighbor raves about and nearly gagged on it. Thankfully my son likes it. I guess I'll be giving her the rest of my chia seeds bag. I learned that I'm not a fan of the gelatinous texture.
We have guests coming from Friday to Tuesday so once again I will be around a ton of non-Whole30 foods. But at least this time I'm armed with some good advice on how to frame the discussion and with a loaded fridge of good food.

Wins: I made it through the worst day of my cold yesterday. All I wanted was to take a bath in warm carbs, but I held strong and made lemony, chicken soup instead.
I told my dad about Whole30 and he was so supportive of me. He's in chemo treatments right now, but I could see us doing it together next year once he's healthy again.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1906 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
Yesterday, Day 28 was so hard. Tons of delicious food AND chocolate cake were available at lunch. I ate the grapes and melons and cauliflower. The hardest part was the food that was available that MAY have been compliant. There was chicken, but it had some sort of baked on sauce on it and I couldn't tell what type. It was home made, but I couldn't find out who had made it. I eventually tried a very small bite and it was incredibly spicy, but not sweet. Could have been compliant, but I didn't enjoy the taste!

Against all re-entry rules, I did take a piece of cake to have on Sunday. It's currently in my freezer. I almost liked the icing off my finger, but stopped just in time.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1907 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »
Day 26
Challenges: I tried the chia coconut pudding that a neighbor raves about and nearly gagged on it. Thankfully my son likes it. I guess I'll be giving her the rest of my chia seeds bag. I learned that I'm not a fan of the gelatinous texture.
We have guests coming from Friday to Tuesday so once again I will be around a ton of non-Whole30 foods. But at least this time I'm armed with some good advice on how to frame the discussion and with a loaded fridge of good food.

I can see how you might dislike the texture :) Here are some ways I use chia, that I shared in the use it up thread. Warning not all of these are compliant, bust most can be tweaked or can be used after your whole 30. You might like the chia seed pudding texture MUCH better.

Chocolate Chia seed pudding. I usually sweeten with dates instead of what they suggest. Maple syrup works well too. I prefer this to the "Tapioca" style because sometimes chia seeds don't look all that appetizing, or I don't want to be picking them out of my teeth later.  Also this seems less healthy in pudding form :) http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/chocolate-carob-chia-pudding-dairy-free-sugar-free/

Refrigerator Jam pretty much any fruit combo will work, so it is good for using stuff up. Don't always need the extra honey depending on the fruit you use http://thankfulexpressions.blogspot.ca/2013/07/strawberry-rhubarb-refrigerator-jam.html

Rasinetes Protein bites - cuz, yum!  Alos handy to have on hand for grab and go snacks. http://teaspoonliving.com/2015/06/raisinets-protein-bites/

Lemon Energy Bites - Also delish, I really like making them with Brazil nuts instead of almonds! http://www.theleangreenbean.com/lemon-energy-balls/

Lemon Chia Pancakes (grain-free) Good if you have lots of coconut flour to use up. Again, use whatever sweetener you want, if any. http://www.anthonysgoods.com/blogs/recipes/102442374-lemon-chia-pancakes

Chia Buckwheat Pizza Crust
Okay this is a WEIRD one. My hubby made it while I was out of town and when he said he wanted to show me when I got back I was suspicious. I looked at the recipe and was even more suspicious. Then he made the "gloop" and I was thinking there is no way. Turns out I was wrong. It is surprisingly tasty. It is not really, yeast pizza dough, but it is the best gluten-free sub we have found and it is VERY filling. You just got to make sure you really bake it well before adding the toppings. We usually flip it over and bake for longer than it says. It might take some experimenting to figure out how you like it, but if you can't do gluten it is worth playing with. http://nyoutritious.com/grain-free-chia-buckwheat-pizza/

Wins: I made it through the worst day of my cold yesterday. All I wanted was to take a bath in warm carbs, but I held strong and made lemony, chicken soup instead.
I told my dad about Whole30 and he was so supportive of me. He's in chemo treatments right now, but I could see us doing it together next year once he's healthy again.

Glad to hear you made it over your cold, and sending your dad positive healing thoughts :)

Yesterday, Day 28 was so hard. Tons of delicious food AND chocolate cake were available at lunch. I ate the grapes and melons and cauliflower. The hardest part was the food that was available that MAY have been compliant. There was chicken, but it had some sort of baked on sauce on it and I couldn't tell what type. It was home made, but I couldn't find out who had made it. I eventually tried a very small bite and it was incredibly spicy, but not sweet. Could have been compliant, but I didn't enjoy the taste!

Against all re-entry rules, I did take a piece of cake to have on Sunday. It's currently in my freezer. I almost liked the icing off my finger, but stopped just in time.

You got this, Cookie! Way to go on resisting all the temptations! I'm going to make a suggestion. If you *really* want to have some of that cake after your Whole 30, do it in a way that won't derail your progress and will give you some data to work with.

Have a TINY piece (like a  couple of mouthfuls)and put it on a super fancy plate. Sit down with no other distractions and totally focus on it. Use all your senses. Have a bite. See what it brings up with you as far as feelings and emotions and cravings. Is it excruciatingly sweet? Do you still want to eat a bite, even though the other bite wasn't as satisfying as you would like?

Don't eat it all. save a bit and put it away in the fridge. See how that feels. Notice your response after the fact, do you spend a lot of time thinking about it? do you cave and scarf it down? are you okay with letting it sit there until you make a conscious decision to enjoy it again?

If you have ever struggled with sugar/sweet things going from 0 to cake will probably wake your sugar dragon something fierce. You just have to be conscious and aware of that, otherwise, it is so easy to slide and undo all your progress.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1908 on: January 28, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
That is AWESOME advice swick. Thank you. I have been thinking about re-entry a lot and debating whether I really want the cake or not. My main purpose in doing Whole30 was to get past sugar cravings and I don't want to detail that progress on day 31.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1909 on: January 28, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »
That is AWESOME advice swick. Thank you. I have been thinking about re-entry a lot and debating whether I really want the cake or not. My main purpose in doing Whole30 was to get past sugar cravings and I don't want to detail that progress on day 31.

The sugar cravings are the hardest part for many of us. There is just a lot going on on every level. They say sugar is as addictive as cocaine and lights up the same chemical processes and addiction centers in your brain.  Add to that all the marketing for it, it's pervasiveness in EVERYTHING, our culture and beliefs about it, it is an uphill battle for sure.

From the people who have come and gone on this thread, and it seems like the other weight-loss threads it seems to be the biggest struggle for people and the start of going back to regular eating habits.

I have a somewhat addictive personality with a history of substance abuse in my family, I would definitely say in the past food has been my drug of choice. One thing I discovered is I am an "all or nothing" personality type so going off the rails for me means *really* going off the rails.  I found this article that someone shared here a while ago extremely insightful: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/the-100-per-cent-rule-the-simple-advice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html

the thing I have found interesting is when we do inevitably reintro sugar in any significant amounts neither of us enjoy it, we go, ugh that's kinda gross now - but if we let ourselves have more, your taste buds readapt very quickly.

I think Orvell's recent comment is really key:

But, I think for me that's been the biggest take-away from doing W30 and W30 adjacent eating styles - I use food to numb myself and escape. And if it's not food, I'll do the same with drink. And if you take away both you sort of have to deal with yourself.
Which is scary as fuck.

this is kinda the root of it all, and why I think a thread/group like this is so important, you sometimes realize it is not all about just the food, and then what? I think this needs to be a safe place to explore that "which is scary as fuck."

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1910 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »
Happy Day 30 Cookie!! You Did It!!

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1911 on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Congrats, Cookie!

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1912 on: January 28, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
Congratulations Cookie! I look forward to following your progress through the reintroduction phase.

Orvell - Thanks for chiming in.  You're absolutely right, this is an interesting experience in living through life without the crutches. Facing things (and myself) head on without the numbing agents. 

And I did it!  WIN!  We got through our horrendously stressful week and, at the last minute, one of my co-workers invited us to her house for wine and snacks instead of going to the bar.  Unfortunately, the lack of wine in my hand did not go unnoticed so I had to explain again how I was not drinking this month.  And then someone noticed how I was sticking with the veggie tray and leaving the cheese & crackers and chips & dip, and I had to go on to explain that I'm trying to eat more healthfully and maybe identify some allergy triggers.  "So that's why you didn't have a donut with us this morning, isn't it?"...

It all worked out very well though and nobody gave me any guff after that.  However, we did take a little tour of her wine cellar - temperature controlled wine closet actually, but it was stacked floor to ceiling with hundreds of bottles of wine.  It was lovely and I must admit I'm a little jealous. But still, I was fine and enjoyed my water and celery.  Ha! - reading that back, it sounds ridiculous, but it's true. ;-)

I'm on day 27 here and feeling good.  I randomly checked my blood sugar today and it was 71.  I'm very pleased to see it at the low end of normal (I'm not diabetic but have a deep family history and I have no doubt I'm insulin resistant though I've not been diagnosed).  I'm scheduled for a yearly checkup next month and am looking forward to seeing some lab results.

RE-INTRODUCTION: you owe it to yourself to NOT eat that pizza and why it matters....

Okay that is a lot, and I don't mean to get preachy, I just think it is such a key to success. You all have been doing awesome and I want to see you all feeling better and rocking life :D

Beautiful.  So helpful and not preachy at all.  I really appreciate the guidance.  I read the guide to reintroduction but I thought it was a little flimsy.  Your recommendations are very useful - for example, I hadn't thought of dividing dairy up like that and I think it's really smart. It's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thank you! 

Challenge -  As helpful as this thread has been through my Whole30, I have a feeling it's going to be especially important during the immediate aftermath.  One of my main goals is to stay away from those sugars that I've gone without so easily this month.  I think, like you- swick, I'm an all or nothing kind of person. It's actually easier for me to do NO sugar than try to navigate moderation. 

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1913 on: January 28, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »
Yay me!! Thanks everyone!

I'm cooking a delicious compliant meal at the moment, and I'm not even craving sugar at the moment.

A lot of what you said rings very true to me swick. I do best with all or nothing plans, which is why I'm worried about my sugar craving response tomorrow. If I let it happen I know my taste buds will adapt quickly also. We shall see how it goes! Maybe I'll try one bite of cake and think yuck!

Congrats everyone on your wins!! :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1914 on: January 29, 2017, 12:23:20 AM »
Had an interesting week... Started fantastically, and then I started having adverse reactions to things... I think I need to extend doing the low FODMAP plan... I think I was reacting to canned artichokes and peppers.  Took three days to get the artichoke thing out of my system.  Just getting back to ok today.  Haven't decided how long to extend... if I'm going 45 or 60. 

On the bright side... My belt is on it's last hole today.  I'm going to have to shorten my belt. :)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1915 on: January 29, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
In preparation for my March 1st start date, I'm trying to eat my way through all my non-compliant staples so I don't have to toss stuff (or be tempted by it).

I also made a list of 7 dinners and sides, 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches (I generally have salads), and six snacks that I can choose from while I'm doing this. All of them are things I already like that happen to be compliant; I'm hoping that will make it go easier since I've got a master list to make my weekly meal plans from. I'm really looking forward to several of those meals, so I'm feeling less daunted by the whole thing. I also have the support of my husband, which is great (he always supports me, but I never take it for granted and appreciated his questions about the length of time I'm dedicating to this, the things I can and can't eat, etc.).

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1916 on: January 30, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Day 30
Last day before reintro and going strong. I've decided to do the typical introduction with legumes first tomorrow. I don't miss legumes at all so that's a good one to start with to keep any reintro cravings in check.
We had guests from Colombia and Italy this weekend so I made my typical white bread to go with dinner. Of course I didn't eat any. They loved it so much I made them two extra loaves the next day to take with them. I felt mildly bad that I had gotten my guests addicted to carbs during their visit. But I will say that it gave me a stark comparison to reflect on how my view of fast carbs and sugars have changed over a month. I no longer look at a loaf of bread so naively now. I do still enjoy the process of baking though. I'm like a drug dealer who doesn't do drugs. :P

I'm excited to see what reintro signals to me if anything! I'm feeling optimistic that my clearer skin is indeed due to a food and I'm excited to figure it out.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1917 on: January 30, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
WAY TO GO ON DAY 30 LANDLADY!!!!!!! YOU ROCKED IT!!!!

It'll be interesting to follow your reintro and see what you notice!

Also, the ethical questions that come up are super interesting. We have been having a hard time with Christmas presents because there is lots of cheap/easy and damned impressive sugary stuff we can make....But Should We?

People make their own choices, if they don't eat it from us they'll probably eat the crap anyways...on the other hand, we have immediate family currently in cancer remission. We know they should NOT be having any sugar. They seem to think it is fine.  Knowing that it isn't means we really shouldn't provide them with it, that is our choice - or it is our obligation? it is their right to eat whatever they want to. So where does one draw a line? 

On the bright side... My belt is on it's last hole today.  I'm going to have to shorten my belt. :)

Yay for changes! Crappy that you are reacting. How are you doing now?

In preparation for my March 1st start date, I'm trying to eat my way through all my non-compliant staples so I don't have to toss stuff (or be tempted by it).

I also made a list of 7 dinners and sides, 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches (I generally have salads), and six snacks that I can choose from while I'm doing this. All of them are things I already like that happen to be compliant; I'm hoping that will make it go easier since I've got a master list to make my weekly meal plans from. I'm really looking forward to several of those meals, so I'm feeling less daunted by the whole thing. I also have the support of my husband, which is great (he always supports me, but I never take it for granted and appreciated his questions about the length of time I'm dedicating to this, the things I can and can't eat, etc.).

Sounds like your planning is going great! I have made a secret Pinterest board of whole 30 recipes that have been shared over the thread. Send me your email via PM if you want an invite :)

Yay me!! Thanks everyone!

I'm cooking a delicious compliant meal at the moment, and I'm not even craving sugar at the moment.

A lot of what you said rings very true to me swick. I do best with all or nothing plans, which is why I'm worried about my sugar craving response tomorrow. If I let it happen I know my taste buds will adapt quickly also. We shall see how it goes! Maybe I'll try one bite of cake and think yuck!

Congrats everyone on your wins!! :)

How is it going, Cookie?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1918 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
How is it going, Cookie?

Yesterday went ok. I had only a bite of cake 3 or 4 times throughout the day, then ate the rest in the evening. I found, until the evening, that one bite killed any craving I had. Today I have no sweet cravings at all. I did, however, have a lot of crackers and cheese yesterday, spread out throughout the day. I added a little bit of rice to my dinner last night, and to my leftover lunch today. Just a little bit has been enough to keep me satisfied.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1919 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:09 PM »
How is it going, Cookie?

Yesterday went ok. I had only a bite of cake 3 or 4 times throughout the day, then ate the rest in the evening. I found, until the evening, that one bite killed any craving I had. Today I have no sweet cravings at all. I did, however, have a lot of crackers and cheese yesterday, spread out throughout the day. I added a little bit of rice to my dinner last night, and to my leftover lunch today. Just a little bit has been enough to keep me satisfied.

Have you noticed any immediate affects (probably from the dairy, if you are going to) or any dips in energy/mental clarity that sort of thing? All things to keep an eye on.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1920 on: January 30, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »
How is it going, Cookie?

Have you noticed any immediate affects (probably from the dairy, if you are going to) or any dips in energy/mental clarity that sort of thing? All things to keep an eye on.

I haven't noticed anything different yet. Sunday my energy started a little low and dropped throughout the day, but I was working hard Friday and Saturday and didn't sleep much Saturday night. Today I woke up feeling full of energy, but this afternoon my eyes are getting heavy. I think both of these things are pretty typical for me before and during Whole30, so it's not really a change. I'm trying to keep an eye on everything, but my moods/energy levels/pain levels/mental clarity/etc have always (for the past two years) bounced around so rapidly like a yo-yo trick. It's hard to see any pattern.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1921 on: January 30, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
Welcome to the thread, neo von retorch!

The headaches could be detoxing, or caffeine withdrawal. Are you or do you usually have caffeine-containing beverages? Some people cut them out completely because they don't like them black, but giving up caffeine cold-turkey is a bitch, doing it while ALSO on whole 30 is tough!

PRO TIP: no matter what, make sure you are drinking lots of water! Also, a cause of headaches if you are not getting enough.

So poop - yeah we talk about that from time to time, it's a really good indicator of what is going on in your system. Are the dates bunging you up?  It is good to incorporate coconut oil to loosen things, just start with a small amount you need to give your body time to adjust if it is not used to it.

If you are having lots of dates, you might be using them as a sugar krutch, something to keep an eye out for.

I totally hear you on the temptations around D&D and Boardgames. We may have planned our current whole 30 to end before we have an all day D&D session planned. We have been going to game nights at the library which has been really handy because we aren't allowed food or drinks in there!  As far as home gaming, we just tell people to bring whatever they want to drink or munch on and we'll provide some healthier options. Seems to work out pretty well :) Also, we use it as an excuse to ship out whatever unhealthy food seems to collect at our house from entertaining, no one leaves empty handed :D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1922 on: January 30, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
No "bunging" - yesterday was the complete opposite of "bunge" ;)

Yeah that could very well just be your body adjusting and...cleaning itself out.  If it continues of r more than a day or two, having a little extra fiber would help, ground flax, chia, psyllium.

Your body is used to producing a lot of extra bulk with bread products as well, if you are eating more nutrient dense foods there is less to get rid of.

I generally find the 100%-ing much easier than moderation. Interesting link here if you haven't seen it, I've been sharing it around lately: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/the-100-per-cent-rule-the-simple-advice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1923 on: January 31, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
Today is my last day of whole30! I can't believe I did it!  The weightloss has been great, I don't necessarily feel much different but maybe when I start reintroducing things I'll notice.  First up, a glass of red wine!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1924 on: January 31, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Today is my last day of whole30! I can't believe I did it!  The weightloss has been great, I don't necessarily feel much different but maybe when I start reintroducing things I'll notice.  First up, a glass of red wine!

WAHOOOO!!! CONGRATS ON FINISHING YOUR WHOLE 30, BabyShark!!

Looking forward to updates and seeing how things go for you for reintro!

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1925 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
Congrats Babyshark!

Major props to whoever posted the salt and pepper chicken wings a few weeks ago. I made drumsticks for guests last night and they were a huge hit and fairly easy to make too. The kids were begging for more "bones". http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/amazing-salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1926 on: January 31, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
Congrats Babyshark!

Major props to whoever posted the salt and pepper chicken wings a few weeks ago. I made drumsticks for guests last night and they were a huge hit and fairly easy to make too. The kids were begging for more "bones". http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/amazing-salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings/

Aren't they awesome? I did them with thighs last week. Much cheaper than the wings!

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1927 on: January 31, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
Thanks sooooo much swick for all your support and your delicious recipes! I didn't have anyone here physically to do whole30 with me this month. You all were my major support! Thank you. :)

I've got a pot of pinto beans soaking for reintro tonight but until then I'm still on whole30 since my house is so nicely outfitted with nutritious ingredients.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1928 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
Thank you!!!

I love all of my whole30 recipes, and I'm betting they're going to go into regular rotation in my house after we're done.  I'm wondering if we're going to be mostly whole30 just because it's easy to do now.  For example, my favorite recipe has been a chicken curry that I've made literally every Sunday this month to prep for lunches and even had to make it a few more times during the week because I was craving it.  I could eat it every day and I probably will still make it for lunches.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1929 on: January 31, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
Congratulations BabyShark! Way to go!

Today is 30 days for me, too. I'm so pleased that I made it. Thank you to everyone for the advice and support.   My goal now is to do a slow reintroduction and maintain the whole foods aspect of this program.

I'll see what the scale says tomorrow but, regardless of what it says, this month has been a major success. Without question, I just feel better eating in a conscious and healthy way.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1930 on: January 31, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »
Thank you!!!

I love all of my whole30 recipes, and I'm betting they're going to go into regular rotation in my house after we're done.  I'm wondering if we're going to be mostly whole30 just because it's easy to do now.  For example, my favorite recipe has been a chicken curry that I've made literally every Sunday this month to prep for lunches and even had to make it a few more times during the week because I was craving it.  I could eat it every day and I probably will still make it for lunches.

I found this to be the case! Still loving the whole30 foods, though often with a small side of rice now.

After crushing my sugar cravings with a piece of cake on day 31 (sunday) I haven't been craving sugar at all. And besides a tiny dollop of chili jelly on a few crackers, I haven't had any added sugar since Sunday.

Yesterday was the first work day evening in about 2 years that I stayed up until 10:30, just working on projects, playing with the dogs, and reading at home. I'd been going to bed between 6 and 9, usually 8, and sleeping 10-12 hours. Today I feel just as energetic and excited to get home to finish painting. I'm hoping this new found energy is here to stay. Maybe it's a result of kicking the sugar habit, getting past grief, and letting a few grains back into my diet.

Will keep you all posted.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1931 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
Thank you!!!

I found this to be the case! Still loving the whole30 foods, though often with a small side of rice now.

After crushing my sugar cravings with a piece of cake on day 31 (sunday) I haven't been craving sugar at all. And besides a tiny dollop of chili jelly on a few crackers, I haven't had any added sugar since Sunday.

Yesterday was the first work day evening in about 2 years that I stayed up until 10:30, just working on projects, playing with the dogs, and reading at home. I'd been going to bed between 6 and 9, usually 8, and sleeping 10-12 hours. Today I feel just as energetic and excited to get home to finish painting. I'm hoping this new found energy is here to stay. Maybe it's a result of kicking the sugar habit, getting past grief, and letting a few grains back into my diet.

That is so great Cookie!!

And monkeymind I'd been cheating and weighing in every day but was very pleased to step on the scale this morning and see a 9.4 lb loss since my day 1.  I never felt like I needed to watch what I was eating on W30 because I always felt satisfied.  I hate hate hate calorie counting and am hoping I don't have to switch to that to maintain weightloss.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1932 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
Cookie, isn't it lovely to easily choose an option other than "eat all the cake!" Good for you.

BabyShark, NICE! 9.4 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. Good for you! I'm with you, I hate to have to count calories and record every little thing religiously. I lost just over ten pounds without weighing, measuring, or counting anything. Yay!

Two things of interest (to me anyway) today... First, last night for dinner, I had roasted sweet potatoes - Whole30 but not something I've been eating. I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible headache. Gone now but it was awful for a bit. Coincidence? I don't know yet.  Second, I reintroduced coffee with cream this morning (starting with dairy).  I haven't had coffee for something like 25 days. Immediately afterwards, instead of feeling energized and awake from the caffeine, I was ready to take a nap. I'm feeling fine now but, for about two hours, I just wanted to curl up in my warm cozy bed.

I'm going to try a glass of milk later today too, but I'm much more excited about the Whole30 approved ham hocks and collard greens I'm making for dinner.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1933 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
Well, made it through with minimum non-compliant foods (we allowed rice and beans on ours, but no alcohol, wheat, or sugar). Here's my weight graph from 2016 with the result of our January Whole 30.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1934 on: February 01, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
WAY TO GO ON FINISHING WHOLE 30 MONKEYMIND!!!!

Sorry I missed you, hard to keep track of where everyone is!

Thanks sooooo much swick for all your support and your delicious recipes! I didn't have anyone here physically to do whole30 with me this month. You all were my major support! Thank you. :)

You are most welcome! Major props for not having an in-person support network and making it, that is hard to do! Also, I love this thread and everyone who contributes. I love the positivity and motivation, sharing and real-ness. THANK YOU!

Thank you!!!

While I have found it frustrating at times and mourned the loss of being able to do all the traditional baking stuff I use to love, I have found so many good staple recipes and stretched myself in different ways because of the limitations. Being able to and willing to experiment is important in keeping up with whole food eating long term!

I'll see what the scale says tomorrow but, regardless of what it says, this month has been a major success. Without question, I just feel better eating in a conscious and healthy way.

This is AWESOME :D

This is great, Cookie, it sounds like you have had a great reset and a new lease on life. Hope the energy sticks with you and you get to enjoy those evenings!

Cookie, isn't it lovely to easily choose an option other than "eat all the cake!" Good for you.

BabyShark, NICE! 9.4 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. Good for you! I'm with you, I hate to have to count calories and record every little thing religiously. I lost just over ten pounds without weighing, measuring, or counting anything. Yay!

Two things of interest (to me anyway) today... First, last night for dinner, I had roasted sweet potatoes - Whole30 but not something I've been eating. I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible headache. Gone now but it was awful for a bit. Coincidence? I don't know yet.  Second, I reintroduced coffee with cream this morning (starting with dairy).  I haven't had coffee for something like 25 days. Immediately afterwards, instead of feeling energized and awake from the caffeine, I was ready to take a nap. I'm feeling fine now but, for about two hours, I just wanted to curl up in my warm cozy bed.

I'm going to try a glass of milk later today too, but I'm much more excited about the Whole30 approved ham hocks and collard greens I'm making for dinner.

Interesting on both the sweet potato and coffee. If you haven't been having sweet potato (which is pretty high in sugar) that may have been enough to overload your system? It might be something you will have to experiment to get a clearer idea - although if you don't generally eat them, not really any point in including them in your diet simply because they are whole 30.

Let us know how the milk reintro goes!

Day 24 here, keeping things pretty simple. Hubby's work and sleep schedule is all out of wack which has been hard for both of us. I too have been cheating this time around with the scale. I'm still losing but it is super slow compared to the past, which is to be expected I've gone down from an Obese BMI to well within the normal range. Thinking I'm at the point where diet alone has done about as much as it is going to do so I have to start upping my exercise again. Which I haven't been doing because it is too damn cold :)

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1935 on: February 01, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
Well, made it through with minimum non-compliant foods (we allowed rice and beans on ours, but no alcohol, wheat, or sugar). Here's my weight graph from 2016 with the result of our January Whole 30.

Philociraptor, where do you track your weight?

And also did anybody have any issues with bruising more easily on Whole30?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1936 on: February 01, 2017, 08:13:55 PM »
We have a Withings scale that automatically syncs to the app.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1937 on: February 02, 2017, 06:38:33 AM »
https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid+social&utm_campaign=conversions+us&fbaid=6065160547840

In case anyone has an immersion circulator.  Totally making these when I get home.

DC grocery prices are killing me, so I broke down and bought beans and rice the other day.  Doing well at keeping sugar, wheat and processed stuff out of the house though.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1938 on: February 02, 2017, 07:29:43 AM »
We have a Withings scale that automatically syncs to the app.

Ahh ok.  I really like the pink!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1939 on: February 02, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
Congrats to everybody who finished!

Orvell - Your comments were so insightful, that's EXACTLY what I've been thinking/feeling about not having carbs and alcohol to lean on during Whole30.

swick - Oh man I never thought of using the salt and pepper wing technique on thighs...totally doing that next week.

Wins:
Yesterday was my Day 30, yay!
Today is post-W30 Day 1, and so far I've had a compliant breakfast and packed a compliant lunch. Planning to eat a bit of super fancy chocolate later though :) It's really a specific chocolate craving, I haven't struggled with sugar cravings since my first W30 I think.

We survived the long weekend in SoCal on the W30. It involved a lot of RxBars, Larabars, Chomps - not as many veggies, and definitely didn't fit the meal guide, but we completed our first Spartan Sprint! We ate at In-n-Out twice, but I was still a little sad to miss out on the amazing Asian food (we don't get quite the same selection in Ohio...) Even though LA is generally Paleo/Primal/Vegan/etc friendly, I still hit a low point the evening before our trip while I was researching restaurants. I looked at Mediterranean places, and called one to ask about ingredients -- turned out they cook ALL their meat in soybean oil. I truly hate being the picky person asking what's in everything, and requesting special modifications. Texas Roadhouse, where we did post-race lunch, was actually really easy - dry steak, dry sweet potato, dry steamed veggies - we brought our own ghee and added salt at the table. The In-n-Out staff was completely friendly and accommodating, but still took a couple tries to get our order right.

Challenges:
Over the last couple days I've been talking to fiance about how we want to handle diet/food going forward. He actually mentioned that he's been feeling really good (no GI issues during runs), and he's wary about adding things back in. For me this is the tough part, trying to find balance.

Fiance and I agreed to keep mostly eating this way for now. One issue is that his dearest wish is to have his favorite breakfast (bacon, eggs, potatoes) every day, but bacon has a pretty high $/protein ratio. Of course if I buy the bacon with sugar, and bulk potatoes/eggs it's cheaper (for some reason my potatoes always sprout really quickly though)... a significant contributor to the January grocery spend bump is fiance eating all meals from home instead of at his work cafeteria. He doesn't understand my frustration and anxiety as the person who does all the shopping/cooking, because I feel like IT'S ALL UP TO ME (health and $).

Superbowl Sunday also coming up, I'm planning to bring meatballs and maybe a veg tray - I'll eat non-compliant things as well, but don't want to go whole-hog. Tomorrow (Friday) I have two alcohol-involved events, but need to pace myself because my tolerance goes super-low after a month of skipping it.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1940 on: February 02, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
Congratulations rawr237!  Good luck navigating the reintroduction phase.  As you said, balance is key.  You can do it!

Day 30+2.

I tested milk yesterday - half&half in my coffee and two cups of milk through the day.  I would say I felt only a very slight difference in digestion.  I don't feel sick or unwell, no gas or bloating or anything, just not as "clean" as I've been feeling, if that makes any sense.  I'm now back to the plan for two days.

Next was going to be yogurt - it's straining now after I made it overnight - but a new and very rare opportunity came up that I'm going to take advantage of instead.  I'll be going out of town over the weekend and we've got plans to go to a favorite German restaurant.  I'll be using that as my next "test".  I'm fully prepared to feel like hell after that, but I'm still looking forward to the treat.  I will then go right back on the plan until I have "normalized" and then will start reintroducing food types again after that - starting with fermented dairy.

Two silly things I've noticed over the past month...

First, I have a fingernail that has been split for literally years.  I have tried a million things to fix it over this time: seal it, cover it, clip it, protect it, strengthen it,  EVERYTHING! but, over and over, it would continue to re-tear and cause me problems.  One month of Whole30 CURED it - the split is gone - the nail is whole!  That's silly, but it's huge.  I have hated that stupid nail.  I'm so tickled at that totally unexpected improvement.

Second, I have had the hiccups more in the past month than I've had in the past 3 years.  I've probably had hiccups at least 30 times in 30 days, sometimes several times a day.  They come on randomly, with no association to food or drink, and they last anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Though annoying, it's a small price to pay for health improvement.  It's so weird.

Challenge: I'm trying not to feel too smug.  My WeightWatcher friend was complaining that, yesterday, she spent a third of her daily points on 4 Nutter Butter cookies.  She did this as she looked up the points for the "healthier" gummy fruit snacks she bought as today's treat.  She was astounded that the gummies COST 5 POINTS!!!  FOR WHAT!!!  I tried to offer a sweet, juicy, zero point tangerine instead but she declined.  Man, was that tangerine good!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1941 on: February 02, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »
WAY TO CRUSH YOUR WHOLE 30 RAWR237!!!

Wins:
Yesterday was my Day 30, yay!
Today is post-W30 Day 1, and so far I've had a compliant breakfast and packed a compliant lunch. Planning to eat a bit of super fancy chocolate later though :) It's really a specific chocolate craving, I haven't struggled with sugar cravings since my first W30 I think.

We survived the long weekend in SoCal on the W30. It involved a lot of RxBars, Larabars, Chomps - not as many veggies, and definitely didn't fit the meal guide, but we completed our first Spartan Sprint! We ate at In-n-Out twice, but I was still a little sad to miss out on the amazing Asian food (we don't get quite the same selection in Ohio...) Even though LA is generally Paleo/Primal/Vegan/etc friendly, I still hit a low point the evening before our trip while I was researching restaurants. I looked at Mediterranean places, and called one to ask about ingredients -- turned out they cook ALL their meat in soybean oil. I truly hate being the picky person asking what's in everything, and requesting special modifications. Texas Roadhouse, where we did post-race lunch, was actually really easy - dry steak, dry sweet potato, dry steamed veggies - we brought our own ghee and added salt at the table. The In-n-Out staff was completely friendly and accommodating, but still took a couple tries to get our order right.

Challenges:
Over the last couple days I've been talking to fiance about how we want to handle diet/food going forward. He actually mentioned that he's been feeling really good (no GI issues during runs), and he's wary about adding things back in. For me this is the tough part, trying to find balance.

Fiance and I agreed to keep mostly eating this way for now. One issue is that his dearest wish is to have his favorite breakfast (bacon, eggs, potatoes) every day, but bacon has a pretty high $/protein ratio. Of course if I buy the bacon with sugar, and bulk potatoes/eggs it's cheaper (for some reason my potatoes always sprout really quickly though)... a significant contributor to the January grocery spend bump is fiance eating all meals from home instead of at his work cafeteria. He doesn't understand my frustration and anxiety as the person who does all the shopping/cooking, because I feel like IT'S ALL UP TO ME (health and $).

Superbowl Sunday also coming up, I'm planning to bring meatballs and maybe a veg tray - I'll eat non-compliant things as well, but don't want to go whole-hog. Tomorrow (Friday) I have two alcohol-involved events, but need to pace myself because my tolerance goes super-low after a month of skipping it.

BADASS WIN!!!! And I totally hear you about the frustration and anxiety about balancing meal prep/time/$ when you are the one doing it all. What has really helped is having a couple of meals in the freezer for those days it just all gets too much.

Two silly things I've noticed over the past month...

First, I have a fingernail that has been split for literally years.  I have tried a million things to fix it over this time: seal it, cover it, clip it, protect it, strengthen it,  EVERYTHING! but, over and over, it would continue to re-tear and cause me problems.  One month of Whole30 CURED it - the split is gone - the nail is whole!  That's silly, but it's huge.  I have hated that stupid nail.  I'm so tickled at that totally unexpected improvement.

Second, I have had the hiccups more in the past month than I've had in the past 3 years.  I've probably had hiccups at least 30 times in 30 days, sometimes several times a day.  They come on randomly, with no association to food or drink, and they last anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Though annoying, it's a small price to pay for health improvement.  It's so weird.

Challenge: I'm trying not to feel too smug.  My WeightWatcher friend was complaining that, yesterday, she spent a third of her daily points on 4 Nutter Butter cookies.  She did this as she looked up the points for the "healthier" gummy fruit snacks she bought as today's treat.  She was astounded that the gummies COST 5 POINTS!!!  FOR WHAT!!!  I tried to offer a sweet, juicy, zero point tangerine instead but she declined.  Man, was that tangerine good!

The nail thing is odd but awesome! The hiccups have me totally stumped.

I too struggle with my WW friends, I keep thinking they are fundamentally missing the point - and becoming dependent on learning points instead of how to eat real, healthy food encourages yoyo-ing. I find it frustrating to hear "well if I skip breakfast and lunch, I can have pizza for dinner!" It allows you to develop unhealthy and unsustainable habits.

I love the no tracking, no calorie counting aspect of whole 30, it gives you time and energy to really focus on what you eat and why you eat it and I think that creates thinking and habit shifts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:33:21 PM by swick »

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1942 on: February 02, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »
Day 26...

Whatever nastiness was going on last week has left me.  I'm currently avoiding a few suspect foods... artichokes, peppers, acorn squash, and a few others.  I went from feeling amazing and a ridiculously good mood to miserable.  GI issues, fibro issues, general feeling of blah.  I also had a cold though.  These things could have been related.

I'm planning on extending a couple more weeks, much to the disappointment of the lunch-goers at work.  I still haven't gotten back to feeling amazing, and that's what I want my baseline to be when I start re-intro.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1943 on: February 03, 2017, 02:15:07 AM »
Just curious...

Has anyone on this thread gone the no-egg no-nightshade route?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1944 on: February 03, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
Just curious...

Has anyone on this thread gone the no-egg no-nightshade route?
Yup.  My GF and I did a full run of AIP paleo with a very gradual reintroduction.  Eggs and nightshades in particular weren't issues for us.  Just mainly milk for her, and almonds and wheat for me.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1945 on: February 03, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
And another just curious question:

I'm sick right now. Hopefully I'll avoid that once I start, but I work in a school, so... germs. Anyway, the only foods I can keep down right now are far from compliant. Outside of broth, which I haven't tried today but assume I could handle, what are your go-to sick foods?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1946 on: February 03, 2017, 07:00:45 PM »
And another just curious question:

I'm sick right now. Hopefully I'll avoid that once I start, but I work in a school, so... germs. Anyway, the only foods I can keep down right now are far from compliant. Outside of broth, which I haven't tried today but assume I could handle, what are your go-to sick foods?

Fell better! Egg drop soup is good, or plain scrambled eggs, cooked squash or sweet potatoes, and heck, if you are having trouble with food because you are sick, smoothies are definitely an option. Getting good nutritious food in you so you can fight off the germs is more important than following the strict letter of the whole 30 law.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1947 on: February 03, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »
Thanks. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1948 on: February 04, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

How is everyone doing? What are your wins and challenges?

WIN:  I did a test batch of this oatmeal substitute this morning, sauteed some apples and raisins in the pot first, YUM!

Ya'll know how much of a struggle breakfasts can be. I love the fact that you can make a mix of the dry ingredients ahead of time! I used ground flax instead of whole seeds, and recommend it. Also awesome for eating up our pantry challenge :)

http://www.paleostateofmindblog.com/blog/grain-free-oatmeal

'nother win: I tried on some shorts I bought on steep end of clearance last year, hoping for a bit longer warm weather in which to wear them. That didn't happen. I bought two sizes one just about fit and one was too small by a fair amount. I slipped into the smaller ones easily today :) Now if only there weren't so much blowing snow or I had somewhere warm to wear them! Ahh well :)

Challenge: It is snowing heavily and we have no desire to go to the store, soo...going to continue with the eat up the pantry challenge. I said because it is Saturday and we have time at home, we could have breakfast for breakfast, lunch, and dinner :D
The real challenge will be figuring out veggies. We do have a cauliflower and a Squash I need to use up.

Helmet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1949 on: February 05, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
I've done a bad job of updating the Whole 30 thread, but on the bright side I did a great job completing the actual Whole 30! Wrapped up on Jan. 30th and have reintroduced dairy (whole milk, cheese) this week with no complications. I didn't have a tough time with it other than some headaches around day 3-4 and I think I felt a little guilty about coming around just to say "Everything is awesome!"

Over the month I slowly realized there wasn't much from my diet that really got cut other than dairy, white rice, oats, and beer. The major thing was all the convenience foods I learned it's okay to say no to, even when it's free -- office lunches, doughnuts, birthday cakes, etc. Normally I'm all about free food and taking extras home so I had to re-train myself (and my office informant network) over the last month. My wallet took more of a hit in January, but it's worth it for my health.