Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427472 times)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1850 on: January 12, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »

My phone isn't being compliant this morning so hope some of the above is readable.

Uhoh, did it trip up and eat a cookie?  ;-P

I saw what you did there...

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #1851 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
Day 5. I need better portion control lessons! I go to bed every night uncomfortably feeling like I ate too much but this morning I woke up randomly at 4 am and at 5 was feeling hungry. Made myself wait to eat at 6:30 like a normal person then as soon as I got to work at 9 felt famished again. After a really early lunch, all day I grazed on raisins.

I wish I could blame it on W30! But alas, this peckishness was present before too.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1852 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »
Day 5

I've done well so far.  No nasty cravings or anything.  I think my carb flu coincided with my cycle, making everything hellish for 3 days, but that was also what likely staved off the cravings.  I wasn't really tempted by the gourmet cupcake a client brought me yesterday.  Still pawned it off on the first employee who walked by so I didn't have to look at it though.

I'm in for a challenge the next two days... I'll be working a gig at a venue where I won't have ready access to a microwave, meaning I need to pack two cold meals each day.  (I prefer them hot!)  I'll put together a tuna or chicken salad for lunch, but am trying to figure out what else I can pack.  Probably will be hard boiled eggs, sliced turkey, veggies with sunshine sauce, and a couple of clementine oranges.  Will have to resist the pizza and rice bowls that my client usually provides.  If I can find my soup thermos, I may attempt to pack chili and a potato.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1853 on: January 13, 2017, 06:59:56 AM »
Day 5

I've done well so far.  No nasty cravings or anything.  I think my carb flu coincided with my cycle, making everything hellish for 3 days, but that was also what likely staved off the cravings.  I wasn't really tempted by the gourmet cupcake a client brought me yesterday.  Still pawned it off on the first employee who walked by so I didn't have to look at it though.

I'm in for a challenge the next two days... I'll be working a gig at a venue where I won't have ready access to a microwave, meaning I need to pack two cold meals each day.  (I prefer them hot!)  I'll put together a tuna or chicken salad for lunch, but am trying to figure out what else I can pack.  Probably will be hard boiled eggs, sliced turkey, veggies with sunshine sauce, and a couple of clementine oranges.  Will have to resist the pizza and rice bowls that my client usually provides.  If I can find my soup thermos, I may attempt to pack chili and a potato.

I'd recommend this portable crock pot, so long as you have access to an outlet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H5V8QW/ref=twister_B006OBRA52?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It's got a heating unit and you just plug it in an hour or so before you're ready for lunch and boom, hot lunch!  I love mine, it's very handy.

Also what is Sunshine Sauce??? That sounds amazing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1854 on: January 13, 2017, 07:32:30 AM »
Day 5. I need better portion control lessons! I go to bed every night uncomfortably feeling like I ate too much but this morning I woke up randomly at 4 am and at 5 was feeling hungry. Made myself wait to eat at 6:30 like a normal person then as soon as I got to work at 9 felt famished again. After a really early lunch, all day I grazed on raisins.

I wish I could blame it on W30! But alas, this peckishness was present before too.

I am sort of feeling the same way.  Ate a bunch of chicken coconut curry Wednesday night, and then two bowls of chili last night.  Felt a little too full, but it didn't last.  I've also been eating way too many raisins.

Day 5

I've done well so far.  No nasty cravings or anything.  I think my carb flu coincided with my cycle, making everything hellish for 3 days,

Right there with you, though instead of carb flu, it seems to be a head cold.  I was in denial that I was getting sick until I went home and went to bed at 8:30 last night.  Trying to work through brain fog this morning.

Wins:  Keeping all grains, sugars, legumes and alcohol out of the house and not missing any of it.

Challenges:  Adapting to a totally different climate, time zone, commute, kitchen etc. while courting a cold and cycle simultaneously.  Looking forward to the three day weekend to hopefully kick the cold and have some time to regroup and do some prep cooking.  I've been bringing salads to work and I'm finding that I'm going to need a little more food to get me through the day.  I'll either need to start coming in earlier, or working out in the morning and then working later, but either way, I need to be able to wait until 7 or so to eat dinner.  Other challenge is currently eating a little more fruit than I'd like.  If my avocados would hurry up and ripen, that would help with both issues.  For right now, I'm just settling sticking with the correct foods and not worrying about ratios or timing.  Will kick it up a notch next week.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1855 on: January 13, 2017, 04:25:53 PM »
I don't know how ya'll do it with colds and flus. I would buckle so fast for cough medicine. Feel better!

Day 13 for me and everything is feeling good. I'm enjoying all the hot meals I'm getting instead of cold, sweet things.
I've gotten in a bit of a coconut milk blended drink rut the last few days that I'm enjoying. It's because of all the foods we're eliminating, I miss dairy the most. Yesterday I tried coconut milk, a banana, some canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. I think someone on here may have posted a recipe that I recalled. Thanks, if you did!

Today I feel like I could eat this way the rest of my life. I'm curious how that will change over the rest of the month.

I enjoyed this roast last night especially because of the gravy:
http://www.primallyinspired.com/crockpot-balsamic-roast-beef/

In case anyone lives close to a TJs this looks helpful. Sadly, I do not: http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/5-trader-joes-foods-that-will-help-you-survive-whole30/ar-BBy7scG?li=BBnba9O

Happy Friday everyone! If anyone is big batch cooking for leftovers this weekend, please post your recipes!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1856 on: January 14, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
BabyShark - Not a cough drop, but I saw a suggestion on www.rootandbranchnutrition.com for Hyland's 4Kids Cold & Mucus medicine.  From the recommendation:
It technically is the absolute closest to Whole30-compliant I could find. Citric acid is an acceptable additive and sodium benzoate is an acceptable preservative. Glycyrrhiza extract and vegetable glycerin are sweeteners, but from licorice and vegetables, so I was willing to bend a bit-- there was no artificial junk, gluten, grains, soy, or dairy
Maybe that could be an option? Others here on the thread are likely better able to tell you if it passes muster or not. I hope you're able to find suitable relief.

I just wanted to highlight this suggestion for Cookie and others struggling with colds right now.

I have spent the last few days going over this entire thread. Wow there is a lot here! A couple of follow-ups:

10dollarsatatime: Have you noticed any lessening of your fibro symptoms?

Rawr237: How are things going with the Mr. joining you this time around looking back at a couple of previous rounds you mentioned it was really a struggle getting him to understand  the whats and whys you were doing this. What changed/ Why did he decide to do a round wit you?

Wins:
 - Survived Tutoring and avoided the sugar-filled tea. It was a bit of a struggle, luckily I had a translator with me...although imperfect, my student might think I have diabetes. oh well :D
 - Every time we do a whole 30 it takes a while for our bodies to sort out how much food we need. Last night ALL I wanted was some popcorn. had a few cashews and dried berries instead. Doesn't solve the snacking need but at least doing it healthier while bodies sort out.
 - Made a big batch of ragatooie so have 6 frozen lunches ready to go in the freezer. That means I can make dinners for at least a week and not have to worry about always having leftovers for Hubby's lunch. WIN!!

Challenges:
 - We are both having trouble adapting to hubby's early morning work schedule. I've been falling asleep sitting up at 6pm. The unfortunate part is then I get a second wind but should be going to bed around 9:30. So that doesn't happen and I stay up to late trying to fall asleep, or it does happen and I"m wide awake at 2am.

How is everyone doing? What are your wins and challenges? What new insights are you having?

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1857 on: January 14, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »
Round one, day thirteen here. I'm still on track.

Win: I've definitely got extra room in my pants these days. I even had to pull a pair from rotation that just got to be too big.

Challenge: I share an office with a very opinionated and judgemental dieter. She's an avid Weight Watcher and doesn't think kindly of any other approach. It's just easier to fly under the radar than even mention Whole 30. I disguise my "weird" eating as bringing from home to save money. In the scheme of things, not a big deal, but irritating none the less.

On the bright side, I don't have to constantly pull out my phone to calculate points and I seem to be having an easier time avoiding sugary snacks than she is.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1858 on: January 15, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
I succeeded at my first real social challenge last night! I went to a friends birthday party with loads of chocolate, crackers, cheese, cake, etc. and I avoided it all! I did eat a lot of the fruit, veggies, and drank quite a few glasses of water! Everyone was raving about the cake, but I wasn't even that tempted. When I went to eat my first strawberry, out of habit I moved to dip it in the whipped cream, but caught myself with half an inch to spare! Whew! I even skipped the little sausage things, not knowing for sure what was in them. Proud. :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1859 on: January 15, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »

Not yet, really.  But today marks my day 8, so I'm still going through all the miserable transition stuff.   (I was exhausted yesterday!)  If anything, it was worse up until this morning when I'm feeling pretty good.  But then, it's always come in waves for me.  I'm optimistic though.

Survived my working weekend... I carted around all my meals and didn't even manage to feel deprived when everyone else was eating takeout from Noodles and Company.  Went to McDs after the show last night just to hang with the crew and performers.  They all asked why I wasn't having an icecream and were very supportive when I told them I was doing the Whole30.  A bunch of them had actually done it before, with varying degrees of success.

Today, I batch cook for the upcoming week.  I'm making an unstuffed pepper shepherd's pie, and roasting chicken thighs with a mixture of sweet potatoes and purple potatoes.  I think I'll throw together some tuna cakes as well.  This past week was the first time I'd had tuna in a long time, and it's agreeing with me.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1860 on: January 15, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

Round one, day thirteen here. I'm still on track.

Win: I've definitely got extra room in my pants these days. I even had to pull a pair from rotation that just got to be too big.

Challenge: I share an office with a very opinionated and judgemental dieter. She's an avid Weight Watcher and doesn't think kindly of any other approach. It's just easier to fly under the radar than even mention Whole 30. I disguise my "weird" eating as bringing from home to save money. In the scheme of things, not a big deal, but irritating none the less.

On the bright side, I don't have to constantly pull out my phone to calculate points and I seem to be having an easier time avoiding sugary snacks than she is.

Way to go Monkeymind! It is so awesome to get rid of pants because they become too big!

If you have more weight to lose, I would suggest buying a belt with lots of holes! I found a great one that has the holes as part of the design so you can tighten it up the whole length of the belt. I grumbled because it was 2x the cost of all the other belts, but it has been a life-saver. Otherwise, even trying to thrift store shop you spend a lot of money on clothing!

RE co-worker: I don't phrase anything as "diet" if asked by someone I don't want to get into it with, I just say I'm trying to figure out some of my food allergies. There is definitely a difference between a "diet" something you are on short term and establishing eating patterns you may choose to make a lifestyle.

Just like the old and outdated saying "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" the WW program has some issues from my point of view. I don't know how many times I have heard a friend say "Well if I skip breakfast and have some veggies for lunch, I can have an extra appetizer tonight and still be within my points!" The quality and nutrition of food matters. Dealing with the "why" behind your food choices matter. Now I do realize that there is the group part of WW that covers some of that stuff. It's just not sustainable long term because you are learning a new system of eating (points) but you never really figure out how to eat the best way FOR YOU so inevitably people can't stay on the points system long term and in the process of yo-yo dieting it wrecks their metabolism. I have tried most of the diets out there over the years, nothing has ever worked. I use to think I was broken. Now I realize the focus on "dieting" vs. creating a lifestyle that is sustainable is what is broken.

Off soapbox! :)

I succeeded at my first real social challenge last night! I went to a friends birthday party with loads of chocolate, crackers, cheese, cake, etc. and I avoided it all! I did eat a lot of the fruit, veggies, and drank quite a few glasses of water! Everyone was raving about the cake, but I wasn't even that tempted. When I went to eat my first strawberry, out of habit I moved to dip it in the whipped cream, but caught myself with half an inch to spare! Whew! I even skipped the little sausage things, not knowing for sure what was in them. Proud. :)

That is awesome, Cookie, Way to win! Good call on staying away from those little sausages and enjoying the fruit! It gets easier and it is so freeing when you get to the point where you realize that good doesn't have control over you anymore.

Not yet, really.  But today marks my day 8, so I'm still going through all the miserable transition stuff.   (I was exhausted yesterday!)  If anything, it was worse up until this morning when I'm feeling pretty good.  But then, it's always come in waves for me.  I'm optimistic though.

I got worse before I got better as well. There is a bunch of detoxing your body has to do.  If it comes in waves or as I say "Flare ups" there is a good chance it is being triggered by something (for me it was the gluten) just want to keep track of your experiences because your the first person other then myself who is doing this so far who has the same issues and I am really, really hoping they will clear up for you.

Way to go on packing your own food and surviving your work weened and surviving socializing at McD's those are all huge wins!

Tonight I am making Nom-nom's tuna cakes with frozen cod instead of tuna hoping that will help Hub's like them better.  We are on day 7, other than being super tired, we're doing good. Have to dig out our Vitamin D and double check that there are no crappy ingredients in it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1861 on: January 15, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
I don't know how ya'll do it with colds and flus. I would buckle so fast for cough medicine. Feel better!

Oh, I am not that bad ass.  I took the pills.  Wasn't going to call in sick my first week on detail.  Yesterday was the worst, seem to be on the mend today, and need to get out of this chair and get some fresh air.

Have a small wild boar roast in the Instant Pot right now.  Added lots of lard instead of bacon, and used my chicken stock  instead of water.  Have acorn squash and coleslaw for sides.

Tuna cakes:  do you bake them in muffin tins?  I did, and they stuck terribly even though I greased the tins.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1862 on: January 15, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »

Have a small wild boar roast in the Instant Pot right now.  Added lots of lard instead of bacon, and used my chicken stock  instead of water.  Have acorn squash and coleslaw for sides.

Tuna cakes:  do you bake them in muffin tins?  I did, and they stuck terribly even though I greased the tins.
wow, that boar roast sounds AMAZING!! I just do them more like traditional cakes and pan fry them. Easier, less clean-up, more crispy that way too. Not as portable, but I just have them for breakfast so would be reheating them anyways.

Speaking of breakfast, I suppose I should drag myself up and make some. I love breakfast foods, I just hate actually eating at breakfast time, this is something I am trying to improve during this Whole 30.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1863 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
I had a sugar dream last night. I dreamt that I accidentally ate gumballs and, when I realized it, I was SO mad.

I can't believe I wasted a cheat dream on gumballs.  I didn't even get to enjoy a guilt-free decadent desert or anything. ;-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1864 on: January 15, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
Lol, gumballs...

The board is excellent!  Was nervous because I've never had it and bought on impulse because it was marked down (but still not cheap), then started wondering wtf I was going to do with it, and whether it was going to be very gamey.  Not gamey at all, just really flavorful compared to pork.  Poured the extra liquid back in with my chicken stock to make a nice soup later this week.  Will shred the rest and eat with baked sweet potatoes for the next few dinners.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #1865 on: January 15, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
I didn't even think about the ingredients in my vitamin d pills! Soybean oil. Hmmm. I still have two bottles to work through so debating if I should just stop taking them for the time being or try to find a replacement.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1866 on: January 16, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
Day 16. I'm over the hump and I survived another set of house guests this weekend. I even made them w*ffles this morning. They only poked fun at me a little bit. Stuff like "What CAN you eat?" or "Is this the diet of No Fun?". They don't understand, but that's ok. That's how I was when my previous coworkers were all doing it a few years ago. Now I'm on the bandwagon and my previous coworkers are all on to something called 21 day fix which sounds like a portion control and exercise plan.

Wins: I went out to eat yesterday at a German restaurant. It was surprisingly easy to eat W30 there. Two pork and apple sausages which are made at the restaurant (without sugar) with sides of roasted potatoes and sauerkraut.

Challenges: I'm struggling with acid reflux more so since starting Whole30 which seems to be the opposite of what most people experience. I'm guessing that's because I've been drinking my coffee black and eating richer winter-like foods with tomatoes. Tums have sugar in them so I'll be picking some OTC reflux meds today to try to stop the cycle.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:22:40 PM by Landlady »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1867 on: January 16, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »
Reguarding the acid reflux, try drinking a swallow of vinegar instead.  I've had a few folks, including my Mom, stop taking prescription medication for that and using the vinegar.  As time goes on the need for even that was diminished.  Not a lot to lose trying it.

I'm on day 1 of my second attempt.  Im more prepared this time.  So far so good.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1868 on: January 16, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
Thanks shadowmoss! I'm reaching for the vinegar now.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1869 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
*waves*
Hi gang? Remember me? Possibly not, lol, but I flitted in and out of hear last year, doing 1.5 W30s.
I'm contemplating doing another one, as the Plight of the Baked Goods has returned in full force.
:)

Anyhow, just showing my face again.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1870 on: January 17, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Day 17. I woke up feeling very tired and not in the mood to cook anything. I did manage to make some eggs and spinach, but now it's lunch time and the fridge is empty of leftovers. Sigh. Can a chef come over and cook a delicious, compliant meal for me today? Pretty please?

Hi there Orvell!

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1871 on: January 17, 2017, 02:20:59 PM »
Day 16 for me.  My grocery bill has been pretty ridiculous compared to prior months but our restaurant spending has been next to nothing, so that's a win.

I prepped a bunch of food over the weekend and it feels like it's already almost gone.  I have another recipe planned for this week that I should probably make tonight so the leftovers are in the fridge for meal time but we'll see if I have the energy to cook when I get home.

DH started night classes last week so on M/Tu he needs to take both lunch and dinner.  I think the problem this week (how is it only Tuesday...) was we both took lunches yesterday and then I also ate one of the prepped meals for dinner last night when really I should have made something new. 

I'm with you Landlady, I'm exhausted.  That's been my permanent state since Law School though so I was hoping W30 would help with that.  There's still time though, fingers crossed.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1872 on: January 17, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
A quick note about energy levels:
If you're a person with a uterus who menstruates, don't forget that this can be a major contributor, whether you are on the W30 or not. :)
Whether it's pooped or full of energy, where are you on your cycle might be at least part of it.

I sleep like shit for the half week leading up to my period. Just a fact. I'm always surprised by this, even though I've recognized it as a pattern, lol.

Just throwing that out there in case anyone is primed for an "a ha!" moment.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:49:01 PM by Orvell »

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1873 on: January 17, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
Just throwing that out there in case anyone is primed for an "a ha!" moment.
:D Truth!

My energy is back now. I think I let myself get into a calorie deficit last night which extended into today. So I just loaded up on a salmon burger (no bun) and zucchini, with a banana and coconut milk drink. Now I'm feeling the day.

I'm thinking tonight's dinner will be wilted spinach salad with chicken, bacon and poached eggs with oil/vinegar dressing. Maybe a side of frozen bluberries and toasted pecans. Visualizing how delicious my meal will be is very motivating to me. Thanks for listening!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1874 on: January 17, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »

My energy is back now. I think I let myself get into a calorie deficit last night which extended into today. So I just loaded up on a salmon burger (no bun) and zucchini, with a banana and coconut milk drink. Now I'm feeling the day.

I'm thinking tonight's dinner will be wilted spinach salad with chicken, bacon and poached eggs with oil/vinegar dressing. Maybe a side of frozen bluberries and toasted pecans. Visualizing how delicious my meal will be is very motivating to me. Thanks for listening!

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner  - HI ORVELL!! -

RE: energy dips. It can be common if you are not getting enough calories. The idea is you don't have to track, but sometimes when your body is figuring it out and you get busy you can actually lose track of how much you are eating. making sure to add more good fats ususally helps.

Also you may be not getting enough carbs. There is a place between going keto and not where you are still burning glucose as your primary food source, but you are not getting enough to sustain that but still high enough to keep from going into keto. The usual reaction is no energy and feeling like shit. If you think this is happening, grab a banana, if you feel good after eating it there is your sign you need to up your carbs a bit. Hubs went through this quite badly so now I make sure he always has some sweet potato with lunch.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1875 on: January 17, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Day 16 for me and I'm still trucking along.  I'm thrilled that I'm not feeling deprived. Though darn it, I accidentally bought Bragg's liquid aminos instead of Bragg's coconut aminos.  Fortunately, I caught that before I made the salad dressing I was planning.  I punted and had a balsamic vinaigrette instead. 

I was just invited to go for celebratory drinks next Friday so I'm making my plan now.  Ah well, I can celebrate just as easily with a soda and orange juice as with a glass of wine. 

I've got some sardines that I'm looking forward to eating.  I generally eat them in a nice salad with avocado and vinaigrette.  Anybody got a special sardine recipe that you really love?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1876 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »
Its Round 2 Day 15 and I had a non compliant dinner.
Im not sure why I decided to do it (NC curry sauce, it had wheat and junky additives) but Im not going to let it completely derail me.

Overall Im doing ok. I stayed compliant at a party filled with tempting food and drink on Saturday evening. Im averaging 7.5-8 hrs sleep a night every week. Im not super tempted to snack, and make filling meals.

I could do better: Drinking more water, consistently getting more exercise during the week, sitting down and savoring each bite at meals.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1877 on: January 18, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
Day 18
swick Before you mentioned keto yesterday I'd only heard it mentioned in conversations with my nurse and doctor sister-in-laws talking about diabetic patients in their peds ER. So I looked it up and found the keto diet. Intriguing! It's possible I wasn't getting enough carbs as you said. Thanks for that enlightening comment. I added a potato to my salad and felt great afterwards. I'm getting a little tired of potatoes though which is why I think I went too low.

Bacon, eggs and spinach scramble for breakfast with a shot of vinegar (for acid reflux) and my black coffee. Lunch will be another salmon burger and zucchini. Dinner I'm thinking chicken thighs, roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts.

I'll be marching in Seattle on Saturday and I'm trying to come up with a compact meal to carry with me since it'll be a long day. I'm thinking pecans, dried apricots, beef jerky (compliant?) and larabars.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1878 on: January 18, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
Day 18
swick Before you mentioned keto yesterday I'd only heard it mentioned in conversations with my nurse and doctor sister-in-laws talking about diabetic patients in their peds ER. So I looked it up and found the keto diet. Intriguing! It's possible I wasn't getting enough carbs as you said. Thanks for that enlightening comment. I added a potato to my salad and felt great afterwards. I'm getting a little tired of potatoes though which is why I think I went too low.

Bacon, eggs and spinach scramble for breakfast with a shot of vinegar (for acid reflux) and my black coffee. Lunch will be another salmon burger and zucchini. Dinner I'm thinking chicken thighs, roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts.

I'll be marching in Seattle on Saturday and I'm trying to come up with a compact meal to carry with me since it'll be a long day. I'm thinking pecans, dried apricots, beef jerky (compliant?) and larabars.

I've had a really hard time finding compliant jerky, every package I've picked up has had sugar.  If you find one, please share the brand!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1879 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
R3D17

Landlady - I had a digestive flare-up last week which turned out to by PMS-related. But during previous Whole30's I've found my burps got worse, eating more cooked vegetables and less raw helps me with that somewhat. You could do butternut squash or similar if you're tired of potatoes - I love delicata squash. Japanese sweet potatoes have a different flavor profile too.

Orvell - Hiya!

Swick - I'm honestly not sure why fiance is in this round with me. I think he may have realized that with me cooking W30 it wouldn't but much extra effort for him to join in. And I think it's partially to support me trying to make healthier choices. It's mostly been okay, though he was driving me CRAZY for the first week because he was weighing his food and tracking to make sure he got enough calories...I don't know how many ounces of ground beef are in your portion, because part of the point of this plan is not having to measure! It's also more pressure on me, feeling responsible for his W30 - but I feel that way about his diet in general as the person who shops and cooks. I do appreciate the ease factor of not having tempting non-compliant food in the house. It adds a little challenge because he's a pickier eater (mostly about vegetables), but meat is pretty safe.

Re: supplements
I realized at some point that the Zinc and allergy meds I take are probably not compliant. Stopped taking them, but I'm not starting over. It would be tiny amounts of non-compliant stuff anyways.

Lucky for me, my coworkers eat lunch in the cafeteria (at least one other guy brings lunch from home) so I can socialize without struggling to be compliant. I do envy them their sweet potato fries though.

WINS
I made a triple recipe of this chili over the weekend. Fiance happily ate it 6 meals in a row.
http://www.farmsteadchic.com/paleo-whole30-chili/
I'm doing better with making sure there are ample leftovers so that I'm not *forced* to cook if I don't feel like it.
My energy is pretty good, and my skin is clearer :)

Challenge
Eh, pretty much humming along right now. Trying to figure out the Spartan Sprint fueling plan. RXbar is good for pre-workout, but not mid-workout (feels like a rock in my stomach). Will try coconut water or Larabars.
My grocery bill was $$$ again, I stocked up on RXbars and Larabars in preparation for our training/race.

Meal Hack
It's not exactly frugal, but one of my go-to meals is...
Protein: grass fed hot dogs or roast beef (Applegate brand, can find at Target...hot dogs are at TJ's also)
Vegetable: Steamfresh broccoli or green beans with ghee and salt

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1880 on: January 19, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
I've noticed lately that my hunger is different, is that a common effect?

I used to be hungry and snacking quite often, mostly healthy snacks, but not always. After the first week of Whole30 my hunger level dropped a LOT, and even when I do get hungry it goes away if I'm distracted, or if I have something small to eat. I thought the amount of meat I eat would go up, but it's gone down. I wonder now if what I used to think was hunger, was actually just carb/sugar cravings.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1881 on: January 19, 2017, 12:02:41 PM »
I've noticed lately that my hunger is different, is that a common effect?

I used to be hungry and snacking quite often, mostly healthy snacks, but not always. After the first week of Whole30 my hunger level dropped a LOT, and even when I do get hungry it goes away if I'm distracted, or if I have something small to eat. I thought the amount of meat I eat would go up, but it's gone down. I wonder now if what I used to think was hunger, was actually just carb/sugar cravings.

Totally normal :) Definitely could be carb/sugar but also plain old thirst as well. I use to believe I HAD to eat every couple of hours, Hypoglycemic since I was a teen. Turns out (for me at least) it was pretty much just feeding the cycle and making sure I had to keep eating, and the constant rising and lowering of insulin and blood sugar does a number on your system long term.

LandLady - glad the suggestion to eat a bit more carbs helped. It is a tough balancing act. The first part is getting to a point where you realize the signals your body is telling you, the second part if figuring out how to meet those needs :) I found some good stuff earlier in the thread that I'll repost about the whole keto thing and what is going on when I'm at my desktop.

Anybody got a special sardine recipe that you really love?

I wish I liked Sardines more. I would suggest mashing them up into some compliant mayo and making a dip/spread. Maybe caper/pickle (watch for sugar) lemon juice, salt and pepper for add in's?

Today is day 11 for us. 

Wins: I feel like I've finally made some progress on cooking and stocking a variety of freezer meals for Hubby's lunches. Knowing I have stuff in the freezer makes planning dinner so less daunting. Not feeling great? Leftovers that are enough for just dinner but not lunch, That's okay! Breakfast for dinner? That's ok!

I spent a good three hours shoveling out after a snowstorm yesterday. I'm tired and sore but it is "I haven't used these muscles in a while" type of sore and not the "I did a little bit of work and am going to have to spend a week recovering in bed" type of sore I used to get with my Fibro. So that is a win, even if I'm a little complainty-pants.

Challenges: Still feeling very snacky in the evening, I think it is because I'm not eating enough during the day, so have to get more conscious of this. I keep saying this, and it is nothing new, usually I'm good for a couple of days and then slip back into old habits.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1882 on: January 19, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
R1D19
swick, isn't shoveling snow the most Mustachian workout you can imagine?! I just finished an hour during my lunch break. It was HARD work, especially where our driveway meets the road the plowed snow can be very compact and heavy. I'm still new to snow, but so far I like shoveling it as a free workout. I'll have to go out for another hour or two later today and I'm thinking of getting an audiobook from the library to keep me company.

rawr237, I think I'll try a squash soup inspired by your suggestion. I'm imagining... can of squash, can of coconut milk, chicken stock, curry powder and a garnish of chopped apple and bacon.

Wins: There's definitely a little less of me around my hips and belly button area. This feels a little like an easily earned accomplishment because I've never felt hungry on W30. That hungry dieting feeling is my main complaint about weight-loss diets and why I don't do them. W30 is definitely busting my preconceptions of what it feels like to loose some weight.

Challenges: I'll be traveling Friday through Monday and will likely not have time to cook meals for myself. I'm considering cooking up a batch of something big tonight that I can freeze and take with me so that I always have something to fall back on. Maybe the soup above or maybe another batch of bolognese since that's always easy and tasty.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1883 on: January 19, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
Ooh, I got to enjoy a cheat meal tonight!  My houseguest took me out to a sushi restaurant and I had a fancy rum cocktail and poke, so still grain free and not much sugar.

I might get some wine and chocolate to drown my sorrows tomorrow.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1884 on: January 19, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »
Day 12

I've felt fantastic for the past few days.  Tired in turns, but my fibro symptoms are lessening.  I don't hurt as often, and it's amazing!  Add in an abnormally good mood, and I'm annoying everyone around me. :)

I've eaten out once.  Hit a local burger place and had the unfortunately named wedgie burger, which just means it was wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.  This means my eating out budget has fallen drastically, but this has been countered by higher grocery shopping costs.  This should even out, as I've been shopping Costco, and my freezer is now stocked. 

I almost feel bad, as eating out a few times a week was basically the thing I did with my best friend.  Certainly not healthy for the body or the budget, but it was our way of dragging each other out of our self imposed hermitism.  Neither one of us are people persons, but somehow we can stand to be around each other.  On the bright side, he's been watching my progress with interest and is considering trying the Whole30 himself in the future, especially when I told him I was thinking of taking it to a whole60 or longer.

I'm happy that water kefir is allowed.  My second ferment has been with grape juice canned from my parents' vines or with pomegranate juice.  Will have to figure out an awesome ginger kefir, maybe with ginger and apple juice?  I dunno.  Really spicy ginger soda is kind of the thing I miss the most, which means I probably shouldn't start working on that one until after my 30 days are up.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1885 on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
Day 12

I've felt fantastic for the past few days.  Tired in turns, but my fibro symptoms are lessening.  I don't hurt as often, and it's amazing!  Add in an abnormally good mood, and I'm annoying everyone around me. :)

YAYAYAY!!! ****does happy dance for 10dollars!**** This is so awesome to hear! I know for me, it literally felt like I got a new lease on life. I hope your symptoms continue to improve. There is so much you will be able to do and so much to look forward to.

I think once your bestie sees the changes in you and how much more life you will have, he'll help you come up with other things to do together :)  Now I don't want to rain on your parade, but do be prepared for a setback when you do your reintro. and as much as it sucks I do recommend doing it, just because then you KNOW and it makes everything afterward SO much easier.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1886 on: January 19, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »

Wins: There's definitely a little less of me around my hips and belly button area. This feels a little like an easily earned accomplishment because I've never felt hungry on W30. That hungry dieting feeling is my main complaint about weight-loss diets and why I don't do them. W30 is definitely busting my preconceptions of what it feels like to loose some weight.

Challenges: I'll be traveling Friday through Monday and will likely not have time to cook meals for myself. I'm considering cooking up a batch of something big tonight that I can freeze and take with me so that I always have something to fall back on. Maybe the soup above or maybe another batch of bolognese since that's always easy and tasty.

So happy for your wins :) For hubby's lunches I have been roasted a bunch of sweet potatoes and them topping them with various sauces (Thai red curry, "Butter "chicken sauce with ground beef instead of chicken, spaghetti meat sauce...the I portion them out in containers and they microwave really well. Also Cottage pie with ground beef, spices, topped with mashed potatoes/cauliflower etc. I did a mashed squash/potato topping that was good.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1887 on: January 20, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
^__^ reading along has been fun.
I decided against doing a "proper" Whole30 round, but am trying to incorporate a lot of the things I learned from doing it the first time around.
This is more along the lines of a maintenance eating plan than anything else, trying to eat lots and lots of plants. ^__^ Real goal for me is to make sure I eat real and filling things, with an embargo against added sugar. Beans are occasional for me (and don't give me trouble) and grains are limited but not off the menu completely.

This morning I had a salad with half a scotch egg for breakfast, and it was delish!
For lunch I'll have my pork and cabbage soup, with a side of brussel sprouts, and an orange for a snack. :D
I'm thinking of making an eggplant rattatoi for dinner... We'll see!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1888 on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Landlady - Wow that soup sounds incredible *drool*, let us know how it turns out! I love the richness coconut milk adds to soups.

10dollars - Congrats on your results! So thrilled for you that you're already seeing such great benefits at Day 12.
It looks like certain kombucha is allowed http://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/ so you could find a ginger flavor, or make your own. Or you could just add ginger (crushed, or juice squeezed from pulp) to sparkling water. It's not a bad thing to try to satisfy cravings that aren't unhealthy at the core -- aka if you're craving the spice and the refreshment and not the sugar. The issues come in when you're trying to replicate something non-compliant with a mashup of W30-approved ingredients ('Whole 30 muffins'), or if the food is a crutch (replacing afternoon candy with Larabars).

Maybe invite your friend over for a delicious Whole 30 meal?

horsepoor - Color me jealous, my dad's retirement party is Sunday and he's renting out a whole (small) Japanese restaurant...so many delicious things for free (to me) that I can't have, but at least there's sashimi!

swick - Can you pack me lunches too please? I don't cook curry often because fiance loathes the smell, but I do so love a good chicken curry. Similar to your spaghetti meat sauce, sometime I just make meatballs in tomato sauce and don't miss the spaghetti at all (Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce recipe is the best, just sub ghee for butter).

Win:
This morning I woke up early and made breakfast for myself and fiance (homefries, scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee) which made him very very happy. Thank goodness his favorite breakfast is compliant (though lacking in veggies, ha).

Challenge:
I find an unhealthy mindset creeping up on me...thoughts like "oh if I eat a little less then I'll keep losing weight quickly" because my natural hunger sensor has been messed up for some time. I need to keep eating solid, balanced meals to support my active lifestyle, but my stomach doesn't always 'force' me to do so. I've never had a full blown eating disorder, but definitely some issues with obsessing over food/calories. I guess the best way to combat this is to keep cooking food that I look forward to eating.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1889 on: January 20, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
10dollars - Congrats on your results! So thrilled for you that you're already seeing such great benefits at Day 12.
It looks like certain kombucha is allowed http://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/ so you could find a ginger flavor, or make your own. Or you could just add ginger (crushed, or juice squeezed from pulp) to sparkling water. It's not a bad thing to try to satisfy cravings that aren't unhealthy at the core -- aka if you're craving the spice and the refreshment and not the sugar. The issues come in when you're trying to replicate something non-compliant with a mashup of W30-approved ingredients ('Whole 30 muffins'), or if the food is a crutch (replacing afternoon candy with Larabars).

I make my own kefir.  The grains are like pets without faces that give me probiotic soda. :)

I think I'd probably be safe experimenting with it.  I don't crave the sugar.  I just love really spicy ginger soda.  Like... the kind you have to sip or it will burn the back of your throat and cause you to cough.  My problem is that you have to add something to the second ferment for the bacteria to eat to make the fizz.  Sugar (not allowed) or fruit juice, which is why I'm thinking apple juice.  Date syrup is a possibility, but sitting at the fuzzy edge of ok.  I'll feel better trying that one when my 30 days are up.

Maybe invite your friend over for a delicious Whole 30 meal?

This would require having someone in my house, and my hermit-ness will not currently allow for this.

... I have ridiculous issues with ridiculous things... I'm working on it. :)

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #1890 on: January 23, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »
Babyshark, I found a compliant beef jerky stick at Trader Joe's. It's called Chomp and it's pretty good and saved me on Saturday when I didn't have lunch.

Day 23
Wins: I made it through a weekend away from home and even a visit to a friend's new bakery without breaking Whole30. I also picked up a bunch of compliant ingredients at Trader Joe's while I was in the city. RXbars, coconut milk and cream, Chomp sticks, ghee...
I had an nectarine yesterday and it tasted so amazingly sweet. My taste buds have definitely changed.

Challenges: Constantly explaining Whole30 is annoying... My mother in law is either very curious or very judgemental and I can't tell the difference between the two with her. I hate the feeling of not eating someone's home cooked food because of a diet. It feels so rude to not even take a no-thank-you-helping.
I am loving the taste of the cashew butter from TJs, but for three days now I've have a little GI distress and I'm starting to think the cashew butter is the cause. :( The other possible cause is a chicken apple sausage I've been eating. So out with both for now and I'll try cashew butter again in a few days. It is ridiculously good on bananas.... sigh.

How's everyone doing?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1891 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »

Challenges: Constantly explaining Whole30 is annoying... My mother in law is either very curious or very judgemental and I can't tell the difference between the two with her. I hate the feeling of not eating someone's home cooked food because of a diet. It feels so rude to not even take a no-thank-you-helping.
I am loving the taste of the cashew butter from TJs, but for three days now I've have a little GI distress and I'm starting to think the cashew butter is the cause. :( The other possible cause is a chicken apple sausage I've been eating. So out with both for now and I'll try cashew butter again in a few days. It is ridiculously good on bananas.... sigh.

How's everyone doing?

Way to go on your wins, landlady! The bakery visit would have been HARD.

The quoted above: is the hard part. It is all in how you word it though. If you say no to people's home cooked food because "You are on a diet" it is much easier for them to get offended, or have their own opinion or...or...or

Phrasing it as " I'm trying to figure out some food allergies, so I'm on a pretty plain eating plan right now, so I can't have it. But it looks amazing and hopefully, it isn't x...y...z (whatever is in what they are offering) that is the problem. I'm looking forward to getting healthier and figuring this out!" It doesn't leave them much to argue with, it makes it a little less scary because it is not a "diet" and it has an end date in sight - so they don't have to be worried about you or how your eating affects them forever.

Unless you find something out and it does :)

This works most of the time, Although there will always be people who will be a challenge.

We are on Day 15 Nothing really exciting to report.

Win: Figured out a meal plan for the next couple of days that allows us to be lazy and not have to go to the store while using up pantry and freezer staples and eating like kings. Funny how that tends to work :)

Challange: Totally didn't look at the calendar when making arrangements for Hubby's family to come over for a potluck dinner (our new solution to eating out which is expensive, usually not tasty, and doesn't meet our main reasons for going out, which is visiting.)

MIL wanted to do a Chinese New Year themed meal. She found a recipe for Wonton Soup that doesn't use wrappers and asked me about the ingredients and they are all good. I'll make some complaint Chicken dish. Hub's brother will do some sort of pulled meat dish (Probably won't be compliant) and Grandma will probably bring buns and an ungodly amount of commercial dessert. Should work out. Will have to explain to the whole family what whole 30 is (again) but when I was talking to MILI made it very clear that this round was entirely Hubby's idea :D

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1892 on: January 24, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
I've been really bad at keeping up on this thread (and also you may see me on the 10% body weight thread because I've been weighing in even though I know I'm not supposed to on W30, shhhhh) but I had to pop back and say that I cannot believe I've gone three weeks without dairy.  It blows my mind.  The longest I've gone before this is one week in college where I cut all dairy to see if it was causing some stomach issues and I woke up at the end of the week covered in red blotches the day we were leaving for a mock trial competition.  I am happy to report that has not happened this time.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1893 on: January 24, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
Babyshark - Yay for surviving without dairy! It's so odd that you seemed to have...a reverse allergic reaction? I definitely find that I typically add cheese to things all the time as a flavor-booster, so doing without requires more creativity.

Landlady - I use the word "detox" (which still confuses people who expect it to mean a liquid diet). Having a history of GI issues is a good excuse.

Win: My dad commented that Dave and I looked "shiny" (pretty sure he meant glowy) and like we had more energy. My skin is pretty clear compared to the last few months.

Challenge: I attended my dad's retirement party at our fave local Japanese joint. My parents supplied great wine and beer and an amazing spread of Japanese food (MY FAVORITE), most of which fiance and I couldn't eat. I had Perrier, sashimi, and green tea -- which on a normal day would be lovely, but being faced with so many foods I love (and which were free to me) was pretty depressing. Having to listen to my mom comment on how they got too much food and everyone would have to take home leftovers (I love leftovers)...*sigh* Add to that the stress of interacting with "family friends" (really, parents friends) without the aid of alcohol...I was grumpy and exhausted when we got home. I could only stand it for about an hour. I'm still a little bitter, in case you can't tell.

Guess this is the Day 22 Interlude because the enthusiasm is gone, now it's just counting down the days and trying to make sure we stay on track during our California trip. It's possible the stress of wedding planning (the venue we currently have our eye on is already filling up in 2018) is also a contributor. I'm going to take a day off from the gym and just go home to read/rest.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #1894 on: January 24, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »
rawr237 it was the weirdest thing and I was nervous about it happening again.  Maybe it wasn't the dairy, but I had a big glass of milk and a grilled cheese for lunch that day and I was all cleared up a little bit later.  And your will power is incredible, for you to have survived your dad's retirement party.

My upcoming fear is that Super Bowl Sunday is going to roll around and I'm going to just go ham on a ton of non-compliant food.  I'm not sure if I'm going to do the complete reintroduction or what, I know I probably should, but man I want a cheeseburger.  I've also done pretty well with my weightloss that I'm nervous I'm going to totally blow that progress come Feb. 1.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1895 on: January 24, 2017, 06:28:28 PM »
rawr237 - I admire your strength.  I'm not sure I could have resisted.  Sushi and other Japanese foods are my favorite.  I'd have been hard-pressed to avoid all the things. Kudos!

BabyShark - I'm getting a bit nervous about reintroduction, too.  I want to do it well but fear I'll cave during upcoming special occasions.  If anyone has any advice for the reintroduction phase, I'm all ears.

Wins:  I don't know if this is exactly a win, but I had to miss lunch today due to circumstances.  It didn't even phase me.  No hunger pangs, no need to snack or cheat.  I didn't even over-eat when I finally got to eat dinner (late).  It was just easy.

Challenges:  My whole work crew keeps talking about the need to drink when we go out this Friday after our big hard week.  I floated that I'm doing "sober January" so they won't be shocked, and it was just awkward.  I'm not even a big drinker but it was just so foreign to everyone that I wouldn't drink when we go out. 

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1896 on: January 24, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
Monkeymind: THIS.
I did a sober November (not a W30) and I'm doing a sober January (and doing ... something inspired by a W30) and it's illuminating to see people's reactions to not only the sugar avoidance etc... but the alcohol abstention.
It's very much a part of my work culture, too. We have "beer Fridays" where at 3:30 on Friday, beer goes around. Free beer. Good beer (I buy it for the office, lol. I get the good stuff).
It's funny how not taking part in that, even only for specified periods (let alone if someone didn't drink at all) creates confusion. It's such a "social binding" thing.
The "X is so hard, Y is so annoying, god I need a drink..." thing is cute and funny, until you start to worry that people really do, and don't recognize it as a numbing mechanism, and instead see it as liberating. Don't get me wrong, I really love a good beer...

But, I think for me that's been the biggest take-away from doing W30 and W30 adjacent eating styles - I use food to numb myself and escape. And if it's not food, I'll do the same with drink. And if you take away both you sort of have to deal with yourself.
Which is scary as fuck.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1897 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »
I'll be starting March 1st sans eggs and nightshades to see if it helps my chronic pain. I should have enough time between now and then to domsome serious meal planning.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1898 on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »
RE-INTRODUCTION: you owe it to yourself to NOT eat that pizza and why it matters....

Hi folks!

Lots of awesomeness happening and lots of people close to reintro and expressing some nervousness/cravings and such. I'll try and provide you with some info, things to think about and ideas for your reintro.

Truth: Whole 30 is not a "Diet" So why did you do it?
If you did the Whole 30 just to lose a little weight and give yourself a rest after Christmas, Awesome, carry on, you might not need to do a reintro.

The whole premise around a whole 30 is to eliminate foods that might be causing you a problem and REINTRODUCE them. 

If you skip this part, or go out and eat a bunch of different foods at once, you are basically cheating yourself out of the knowledge to make your life better. You are doing all the work and basically deciding at the last minute that it doesn't really matter and that your cravings/psychological need for things etc is stronger than you are. 

This thread has been around a while, and the main difference between people who are successful in making lasting changes and those who aren't,  or that come back for another round from the same place they were before is the reintro. It is a super important part of the process. It is the REASON you spend all the time detoxing and re-examining your relationship with food in the first place. The data and information you will learn about how different foods affect you (or hopefully don't) is the main reason to do a Whole 30. The weight loss is awesome, the other benefits are great, but don't you want to keep feeling that way? The reintro provides the knowledge and power for you to do so! You are stronger than whatever psychological bull crap your mind (and body!) is trying to pull on you right now.

For those who just want on keep on going:
It is also tempting to keep eating this way forever if you have noticed a big improvement. I don't recommend this either - unless you have systemic chronic inflammation and stuff going on that you don't think is quite gone yet. You may want to extend which is fine, but when you feel like you are in a good plane DO THE REINTRODUCTION!!!

I am so so glad that I spent some time in reintro-mode. It makes getting back on the plan (or whatever your version of it ends up being) so much easier.

A reintrroduction gives you context to your decisions - and power. With the whole 30, there are a bunch of rules that, at times, seems arbitrary.  The initial appeal is "it is only for 30 days!"  but doing it longer without the re-intro it makes it much harder to stick with and be motivated if you don't have a "personal" reason for staying away from certain foods. It is the extra little bit of self-knowledge and understanding with your body that adds another level of determination and creates a new lense for how you interact with food. 

Especially if you discover problem foods. It is much, much easier for me to resist the sirens call of wheat/gluten when I know that I will be paying for it with a fibro flare-up that lats days. I'm not denying myself and resisting becuase a plan tells me I must, I am doing it because I know how it affects me and no moment of temporary pleasure is worth the consequences.

Stratagies for dealing with cravings:
Just realizing that a food has this kind of psychological hold is a big breakthrough! Sit with it for a while, become the observer of your thoughts and feelings around it and don't  let the feelings and cravings take hold. Make your choices conscious and deliberate and from a place of knowing how far you have come, how amazing you feel, and the "new" you.

Creating your Reintro Plan:

1.  Spend some time making a list of all the things that you have noticed have gotten better since you started your whole 30. That way you have an idea of what to look for to see if anything gets worse. It is also a great way to track and realize your successes.

2. Create your Reintro timetable:http://whole30.com/step-two-finished
I did a slower reintro that started like this:
week1: - Milk (unfermented dairy)
week2: - Fermented dairy (Yougurt, Kefir)
week3: - Cheese (casin can apparently cause issues)
week4: - legumes
week5 - Fermented soy - (soy sauce, miso)
week6: - Non-gluten grains
week7: - gluten grains
week8: - Sugar

Now, it went much faster because I discovered I had issues to dairy and wheat and if I have more than trace sugar. So after having some immediate negative effects on a few of these, I had gotten enough data and didn't need to break it down as much as I had planned.

Keep a journal while you are reintroducing foods Sometimes the effects will be really notable and swift, sometimes they will be slower. Sometimes you will notice old aches and pains coming back slowly. Or the brain fog that comes with wheat, even if you have no immediate physical reaction.

3. Develop a Maintenance plan - or figure out how you are going to live!

Once you have all this data, you get to figure out what to do with it! You might decide to do another round of WHole 30, you might develop some guidlines that you want to follow depending on what you may have reacted to. This is pretty much where your training wheels come off and you get to decide what works best for you!

This is the maintenance plan we settled on that we generally follow while not on Whole 30:
 - no sugar or natural sweeteners (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No dairy (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No Wheat
 - Small amounts of other grains/seeds (Buckwheat, chia, quinoa, rice, oats) mostly when we want a bit of variety or for Hubby's breakfasts or are going out to eat
 - Legumes - Occasionally.

I know if I eat wheat it will trigger my fibro and I'll feel it for days. I know that dairy causes sinus issues and congestion and such - but will go away in 10 or so hours. So I know to stay away from wheat and can choose to have dairy knowing what it does to me. This is the power that comes with reintro. It allows you to make the decisions that are best for you.

Okay that is a lot, and I don't mean to get preachy, I just think it is such a key to success. You all have been doing awesome and I want to see you all feeling better and rocking life :D

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1899 on: January 25, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
I'm on day 27 and doing ok. The last two days I have wanted to bury my face in a chocolate cake, so your post is in good time for me swick!

I'm wondering how I'll handle re-entry. I don't feel much different and I don't think I have any foods that I react poorly to, but I don't want to rebound with sugar and grains like I'm trying to make up for missing a month's worth!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!