Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427552 times)

screwit

• Stubble
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1450 on: August 27, 2016, 02:03:55 AM »
Thanks for the link and explanation @horsepoor !
Is useful to have that timeline - I just told my DH so hopefully he is prepared for dealing with me.

I think my biggest problem is going to be food boredom. I reinvent breakfast every morning , never having the same thing two days in a row.  It could be toast or porridge or muesli or waffles or a smoothie or eggs or yoghurt.  Or anything, really.  Just not what I had yesterday! It's not a concious decision,  in fact I only realised that I do this about a year ago. My ENFP personality does not like drudgery!

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1451 on: August 30, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »
Woohoo Day 14 in the books!  We've added zoodles and cauliflower rice to our permanent recipe book.  This past weekend was tough, we were both crazing pizza but had some delicious compliant meat balls and sauce to carry us through.  I've been pretty lucky in that my garden is over flowing with kale, cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini.

I've tried the coconut oil & milk & egg coffee creamer.  It does make my coffee a bit more enjoyable.  I've yet to make mayo, but excited about a cabbage/beet slaw recipe I found.

I've not noticed any big changes other than my teeth seem gritty towards the afternoon each day.  DW is doing better now that the gluten is now out of her system.  Pretty glad we are doing this together!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1452 on: August 30, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
Hey Everyone!

Way to go wrightstuff and screwit!

I'm gearing up for another Whole 30. The two people I am doing it in support of are not quite ready to start yet, so are eating healthy for a week or so and easing into it. Both have major life-changing stuff going on so I don't want this to add to the stress and want them to be successful and prepared. Thinking we'll start by the 7th or possibly the 15th, we'll see I'm "Unofficially" Starting tomorrow :)

Has anyone heard of the whole 30 based meal planning service?https://realplans.com/whole30/
I'm seriously considering it. It would empower hubby who's main problem has been feeling like he is out of depth in the kitchen when it comes to cooking whole 30 style, and would free up a bunch of my time and mental energy which I desperately need right now. Would also solve the "Falling into a rut" issue that we have after having been eating thsi way for so long.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1453 on: August 31, 2016, 04:41:41 AM »
Well I'm now on Day 6 and I'm feeling like I must be doing something wrong because I've had no side effects. I think it might be a fruit issue - I'm eating fruit a few times a day and sometimes as a snack.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1454 on: August 31, 2016, 09:39:18 AM »
Well I'm now on Day 6 and I'm feeling like I must be doing something wrong because I've had no side effects. I think it might be a fruit issue - I'm eating fruit a few times a day and sometimes as a snack.

Hey Screwit, it will depend on how well you were eating before as well. Our timeline the first time was about a week off, we felt fantastic the first week, then it kicked in. If you are eating that much fruit your body may be getting enough sugar that way to maintain and you might want to look at cutting back.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1455 on: September 04, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »
How is everyone doing? Anyone joining me in a Sept Whole 30?

Day one of this whole 30 is in the bag, This one for me is going to be more about resetting and fine tuning, so I am hoping to escape the lows that come with detoxing :)

That being said, I've just come off about a month of traveling so have had a little more sugar/grains than I am used to. So happy to be home and in control of my eating again! There should totally be a "Find me Whole 30" app! I was introduced to a "find me Gluten-free" app that is pretty awesome! We were all over New England and we had no problem finding gluten-free options and many of them were able to be made dairy-free and basically whole 30 with a few customizations. It was great!

Next weekend, I have two full days of travel and two days of hanging out in a hospital with my Grandma. This trip was not planned, so I am going to do my best to pack good stuff and make sure I am conscious of caring for myself and accepting the  reality that this whole 30 might not be perfect.

Hope everyone is having a beautiful day!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1456 on: September 04, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »
Well I hit the Day 10 problem zone and failed. Summer festivals and kids birthdays and I've had a few glasses of wine,  a piece of cake and a meal with a bread dumpling in it.

So does this mean I have to start all over again? Am I done? Is it ruined?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1457 on: September 04, 2016, 01:04:08 PM »
Well I hit the Day 10 problem zone and failed. Summer festivals and kids birthdays and I've had a few glasses of wine,  a piece of cake and a meal with a bread dumpling in it.

So does this mean I have to start all over again? Am I done? Is it ruined?

Hi screwit,

Did you notice how your body reacted to any of the things you ate? Getting data might be tricky since you had quite a few food groups at once.

According to the official program, yeah that would require a restart - and there is nothing wrong with that! Many of us have had to restart once or twice, or several times :) It is still a valuable process.

You could opt to keep going, but it takes gluten and dairy a while to get out of your system, so you might not have the same results.  If it were me, I would do some reflecting figure out what I learned around desires, triggers, the mental and emotional side of things and restart.

Beyond the figuring out if you are allergic to anything, it makes you experience life in a totally different way, brings an awareness, challenges you to define what is good and right for you instead of being on autopilot, or letting other people dictate what you eat.  There is an amazing amount of self-reflection and growth that tends to happen which no one really talks about :)

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1458 on: September 05, 2016, 01:54:50 AM »
@swick I was afraid that was the answer ;)

Ok, I will start it all over again but only on Friday. More kids birthdays this week plus a minor operation... I'll pick the battles I'm most likely to win and a strict eating regime is probably not it this week!

It's an interesting process. I didn't notice any reactions to eating the foods again and I was quite worried I'd go into sugar shock after the cake but I was ok. Probably I was still eating too much fruit, despite cutting back on it.

I broke the diet initially because I was networking with a potential employer at a wine festival (!). Turned out it was a good move on my part to be there and have that conversation (fingers crossed for a new job!) and it would have been a bit more awkward if I sat there without having a glass. Ok, that's excuses on my part, of course I could have sat there without a glass of wine :/

I already eat a very whole food diet. About the only packaged food I buy is bread, pasta, yoghurt and pesto sauce. Of course I do eat the banned food groups like legumes and grains, but I actually have very little processed sugar in my normal diet. Even the bread here is very, very different to that in the US: we eat rye bread which is ~85% rye, unlike the US/Australian rye which is only ~20% rye. In fact these days I find the standard white sandwich bread as sweet as if I'm eating cake. Generally I eat cakes/cookies/sweets very rarely which is also why the hypoglycemic events were scaring me so much, as they were so severe after I ate something sweet (but not always, only once a month or so).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1459 on: September 05, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
Hey Screwit, it does seem like you have a bunch going on!

One thing I found interesting about what you said is "It all started with the wine..." The question I would be exploring is, why didn't it stop at the wine? I have struggled with this pretty much my whole life, once I have "Blown it" I tend to fall into that screw it mindset where I decide to just eat whatever and start again tomorrow...and the cycle continues over and over.

What I found is eventually, your brains stops believing you are serious about wanting to change or want things to be different, in effect by saying you want one thing and doing something else, you are creating a discrepancy within yourself. I also think that's why a bunch of yo-yo dieting happens, if you look at it is deprivation your focus on all the things you can't have, you will eventually give in, and then beat yourself up over it, while proving that little voice in the back of your head right.

I have come to realize that there is no such thing as "Perfect" and no choice past or future matters except the food choice I am choosing right now. I may fully and consciously decide I am going to have a piece of cake and enjoy it and feel absolutely no guilt.  Of course, you don't want to do it for all your food decisions :) But you may also decide to pass up something everyone else is having because it doesn't jazz you and fit in with your goals and the temporary taste isn't worth it for you. It's really about living consciously and empowered.

Now the above are just my musing, not saying any of them apply to you!

Realistically, if you are already eating pretty healthy, you might not have the drastic changes that someone eating an Americanized SAD diet will. I "thought" I was eating healthy because I didn't realize the effect wheat and dairy (regardless of how organic and unprocessed it is) has on me.

If you are gluten intolerant, the rye bread might still be an issue. (I miss a good Rye bread! I'm 1/2 Danish and grew up on Danish rye, which sounds a lot like yours!)

I think for you, a whole 30 would be less about radical diet changes, more about fine tuning and finding out if there is anything in your diet causing problems that you never associated with diet. 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1460 on: September 06, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
Ok, I'm ready to try this!  My diet is already pretty good, and pretty Whole30 compliant, but there's a few things I'd like to tweak:

1.  Eliminate the last of the refined & artificial sugar.  Right now I'm using a homemade dressing which contains hoisin sauce most day, and it's amazing, but I'll put it on hold for a month.  I also have been using Splenda in my smoothies a couple of times a week.  Ready to stop that also.

2.  Increase veggie consumption.  I've been living on salads for a few months and now I'd like to add in some more nutritionally-dense veggies like broccoli, kale, etc. 

3.  Evaluate fruit intake.  I eat fruit everyday, usually a couple of bananas, and I'm wondering if I should cut down on that.  I'm trying to lose weight but I'm also working out 5-6 days a week, so not sure if the fruit is helping or hurting...  Would welcome feedback and advice on this.

4.  Experiment with eating in a new way.  I've been craving Mexican food something fierce, and I want to see if I can enjoy it while still being low-carbish and Whole30. 

I'm excited to try this out for the next 30 days with you guys.  I'm starting tomorrow as I need to stock up on a few things and finish up the last of the salad already prepared.

ETA:  Should I expect any withdrawal symptoms the first week?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:08:52 PM by M.Darcy »

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1461 on: September 06, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

I'm excited to try this out for the next 30 days with you guys.  I'm starting tomorrow as I need to stock up on a few things and finish up the last of the salad already prepared.

I had sugar withdrawal the first 4 days even though I had started drinking my coffee without sugar a week beforehand.  Best of luck to you!

We just finished day 21!!!  So excited to see how my cholesterol check goes tomorrow, I am hoping my egg heavy breakfasts don't set me back.  DW and I went to the state fair this past weekend, we were surrounded by all the food and beer temptations you would expect at the event.  We made it through without a fail, though we were famished when we got home 6 hours later.  We had planned to try our first "eating out while on the Whole 30" when those plans fell apart.  I learned to pack a lunch if away from home that long!

9 days to go, I'm starting to decide what I might try first, DW is only going to add rice and maybe beans back eventually, she is enjoying being allergy free.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1462 on: September 06, 2016, 03:42:08 PM »

4.  Experiment with eating in a new way.  I've been craving Mexican food something fierce, and I want to see if I can enjoy it while still being low-carbish and Whole30. 

It is easy to eat Mexican on whole 30.  I frequently make taco salad, ground beef, homemade taco seasoning, homemade guac, salsa over greens. You can use any typical mexican-style protein and use lettuce leaves as a "Taco" or have it overtop of a potato or sweet potato (or fried slices of either) You can make a horchata approximation with nut milk. There's a lot of different options - just leave out the tortilla.

As far as symptoms, everyone is different. You just have to do it and see.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1463 on: September 07, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »
Hey Swick and all the new folks joining the group! 

I've been swamped with work, so I haven't had much time for posting, but I've been reading to keep up with everyone.  I didn't start my next round yet.  I have THREE weeks of work trips coming up in Sept and Oct.  Ugggg! With these trips being so long, I can't bring enough food with me (flying, not driving) for that long of a time period.  But, I have been eating very close to Whole30, with the exception of drinking some protein shakes due to the busyness.  I'm feeling really good and the weight is dropping again, which is a great feeling. 

screwit - I had a friend also recently cheat on her Whole30, of which there is no shame!  Everyone has their own challenges, so you just have regroup and give it another try when you are ready.  It's all a great learning experience.  I'm still amazed at the things I've learned about myself and my relationship with food in each new round I've completed.  I'm trying to undo 40ish years of 'bad' eating habits and it's still a journey for me too!

M.Darcy- Sounds like you are already prepared for a great start today!  I like that you listed out your goals.  Best of luck!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1464 on: September 07, 2016, 08:14:29 AM »

We just finished day 21!!!  So excited to see how my cholesterol check goes tomorrow, I am hoping my egg heavy breakfasts don't set me back.  DW and I went to the state fair this past weekend, we were surrounded by all the food and beer temptations you would expect at the event.  We made it through without a fail, though we were famished when we got home 6 hours later.  We had planned to try our first "eating out while on the Whole 30" when those plans fell apart.  I learned to pack a lunch if away from home that long!

9 days to go, I'm starting to decide what I might try first, DW is only going to add rice and maybe beans back eventually, she is enjoying being allergy free.

How did it go with your cholesterol check?  I'm be curious! I really wish I had gotten a  full physical and bloodwork done before I did my first round so I had those benchmarks, but it is a pain to get in to see my doc and it's in a different city, and I am lazy :)

Can you update us a little more on your wife's progress? You said she's enjoying being allergy free, but what symptoms have alleviated for her? Have you guys noticed anything different in energy levels and/or sleep quality?

Mom22boys - good to hear from you! That is a lot of travel! I have found that if I can hit up a grocery store in each new city I'm at when I arrive, (or just know what is close by, it really helps!) Although I was trying to find anywhere in the Airport that had almond milk for my coffee in several airports in the Southern US and had zero luck. Well I did find one place, but when I got my coffee it was chunky like yougurt. Almond milk doesn't generally curdle like that...

Screwit - How are you doing? everything okay with the minor operation and life? Planning to still start again on Friday?

M.Darcy - It is awesome that you have a plan and goals! With your fruit intake and exercise - just be really aware of your body, especially at the beginning. Your energy levels may dip, you may be detoxing and adjusting to a different way of eating, so you might not have the energy initially for strenuous workouts. Listen to your body and don't push it, or you will be more miserable.

When people update, can you let us know which day you are on?

I want to help celebrate your successes and track where on the timeline everyone roughly is, but I am keeping track of too many people all starting at different times both on the forums and IRL so that would be a huge help!

My best friend, and her husband, and I are on day 5. My mom and sister are starting another round on Monday, my Cousin-in law is starting on the weekend.

For fun, I tried on my wedding dress this morning. It's been three years to the day, and I was at my heaviest weight ever when I got married. It's a corset style dress, and it doesn't stay up on me anywhere now, actually I look rather like I'm wearing a tent.  Never been happier, or healthier :)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1465 on: September 07, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
@swick - congratulations on the weight loss!  I hadn't been able to wear my engagement ring for a while and when I put it on yesterday it was actually a little loose. 

Today is Day 1 for me.  I've decided to cut out the fruit for this first week.  I've been wondering for a while about it and the only way I'll know how I feel is by actually doing it.  Duh.   Part of the struggle is that knowing I can eat fruit whenever I want to helps me feel good psychologically.  Having that little indulgence eliminates any feelings of being deprived or on a 'diet' and allows me to stay on my eating plan easily.  I'm worried that I'll panic and stress eat and undo all my hard work these past few months. 

Aaggghhh... now I'm thinking I should stay with the fruit because I want to be able to keep to my exercise schedule without interruptions. 

Ok.  Since the Whole30 doesn't have any fruit restrictions I'm going to keep the fruit and just cut out the remaining refined & artificial sugar this week.  I'll also increase my veggies.  Next week I can try reducing the amount of fruit but for now I'll keep it as is. 

Sorry for all the angst and drama.  Who'd a thought a couple of bananas would create such a commotion?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1466 on: September 07, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »
Sorry for all the angst and drama.  Who'd a thought a couple of bananas would create such a commotion?

Thanks :) and I'm not surprised, this eating plan has a way of bringing up angst and food issues (sometimes even ones you didn't know you had!)  got a text from someone just about to start her first whole 30 and she broke into tears at the grocery store. And year, there are times when I've just had to give up and leave. It gets easier, and actually, when you have discounted 90% of the grocery store, it makes shopping quick and easy! But it takes a mental shift to get there.

I think it would be wise to keep the fruit in for now, make it through the first week of sugar withdrawal/carb flue/body adjusting and then looking at it. You are already going to be doing so many new things and having to think about things in a different way there is no point in adding more overwhelm until you get used to it.  You got this :D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1467 on: September 08, 2016, 07:53:23 AM »
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let y'all know I am gooing to be offline Thurs-Sun. 

Hope you all have a great weekend full of tasty, healthy food and I'll check in on Monday!

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1468 on: September 08, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
Had a great visit to the doctor for my annual cholesterol checkup yesterday.  I have been on Lipitor and Trilipix for high cholesterol and high triglycerides for 15 years.

I have had fairly consistent numbers for years, but after being on the Whole 30 for 22 days, my numbers did the following:

Cholesterol   2015-155     2016-119  Great decrease
Triglycerides  2015-207    2016-83   Awesome decrease
HDL             2015-41      2016-43  Nice increase in good cholesterol
LDL              2015-74      2016-16.6  Greatly awesome decrease in bad cholesterol
Blood pressure was down 10 points, liver and kidney function looked good.

After going over these results my doctor turned to me and said, "I never do this, but what do you think about getting off the meds completely?"

I am so very pleased I started this program!

jordanread

« Reply #1469 on: September 08, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
Had a great visit to the doctor for my annual cholesterol checkup yesterday.  I have been on Lipitor and Trilipix for high cholesterol and high triglycerides for 15 years.

I have had fairly consistent numbers for years, but after being on the Whole 30 for 22 days, my numbers did the following:

LDL              2015-74      2016-16.6  Greatly awesome decrease in bad cholesterol

After going over these results my doctor turned to me and said, "I never do this, but what do you think about getting off the meds completely?"

That is amazing!! Keep on. You are at 22 days, right?

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1470 on: September 08, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »

Can you update us a little more on your wife's progress? You said she's enjoying being allergy free, but what symptoms have alleviated for her? Have you guys noticed anything different in energy levels and/or sleep quality?

Hi swick, she has always had just horrible allergies in the fall, ragweed has been an especially potent misery.  When we first started dating, she was so ill I was worried she had the flu!  We have always had to close all the windows in the house in the summer and fall, and also had to avoid driving around with the windows down to avoid the onset of sneezing, sniffling, sinus headaches she would get so quickly.  It is safe to say we avoided going outside much at all.

The past 14-15 days she has been able to go for walks and leave various car and house windows open without a sniffle or sneeze or sinus headache.  It is the height of ragweed season, so we conclude the lack of dairy/gluten/??? is helping her enjoy late summer and fall for the first time in a long time.

Our energy levels seem to be higher, definitely we both sleep better, I could do without the vivid dreams I still have!  :-)

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1471 on: September 08, 2016, 02:23:25 PM »

That is amazing!! Keep on. You are at 22 days, right?

Yes!  Halfway through day 23!  I had been joking about having a bacon cheeseburger and a beer once day 31 rolls around but now have serious second thoughts!

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #1472 on: September 08, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
I'm new to the group and on day 3. Just cooked a big steak thinking I would eat less than half of it and have the rest for lunch & dinner tomorrow ... ate the whole thing and it was all I could do not to lick the plate when I was done. (OK, maybe I licked the plate a little bit.) Ghee + coconut aminos + compliant cajun seasoning was just too much.

This diet is freaking delicious! As a Mustachian, the hardest part for me is how much more expensive it is than my normal diet ... but given how many things I can eat that I normally don't for budgetary reasons, I am pretty sure I won't want it to be over. And at the rate I am going I am going to gain about 20 pounds.

Please tell me the binge phase passes!

jordanread

« Reply #1473 on: September 09, 2016, 06:30:44 AM »
I'm new to the group and on day 3. Just cooked a big steak thinking I would eat less than half of it and have the rest for lunch & dinner tomorrow ... ate the whole thing and it was all I could do not to lick the plate when I was done. (OK, maybe I licked the plate a little bit.) Ghee + coconut aminos + compliant cajun seasoning was just too much.

This diet is freaking delicious! As a Mustachian, the hardest part for me is how much more expensive it is than my normal diet ... but given how many things I can eat that I normally don't for budgetary reasons, I am pretty sure I won't want it to be over. And at the rate I am going I am going to gain about 20 pounds.

Please tell me the binge phase passes!

It's a stability thing. Even though we are a thoughtful bunch, Mustachians also recognize the beauty of luxury combined with something that the rest of the world considers 'hard' (like a major diet change). So we find compliant foods, and make amazing dishes. Cost per serving goes up at first. We love doing this. It's a challenge to stay compliant, but it's a challenge we embrace. We don't always get to the mindset of 'Oh, I can't eat that...it's not allowed', we strive to stay in the mindset of 'What amazing stuff can I make that is compliant'. So everything is super rich, super delicious, and we run into plate licking goodness. But yes, your body (and your taste buds) will adjust to the more efficient caloric intake. You'll eventually get to that point where you can identify the plethora of flavors in a homemade vinaigrette, and your body will realize that you can happily consume enough to meet your needs, without going overboard. It will happen. Plus you get to make some awesome stuff. Remember, W30 is a reset. Clear out everything, and see how you feel. You'll get your meal planning and prep stabilized, about 1-2 weeks before it's time for reintro.

Yes!  Halfway through day 23!  I had been joking about having a bacon cheeseburger and a beer once day 31 rolls around but now have serious second thoughts!

I am not one to disparage the awesomeness of bacon cheeseburgers. You can totally do it, just remember to pay attention to how it makes you feel.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #1474 on: September 09, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »
Wrightstuff - What incredible results for both you and your DW! Since starting Whole30, I'm more and more amazed at the power of food over our health.  I have a friend who has terrible, asthma-like symptoms with her breathing. It's so bad she has to use an inhaler every morning. She's done tons of doctoring, allergy tests and on and on and they can't find anything she is allergic too.  I told her she HAS to try Whole30.  It's interesting how all these medical tests can't seem to tell us that an allergy/reaction to a food is actually causing another allergy.  I need to tell her your DW's story now! 

As for the cheeseburger!  Oh man! I would still eat it during the reintro phase, but use potato or sweet potato slices for the bun and do it during your dairy reintro. Leave everything else compliant. During my whole30's, I would have a hamburger every once in a while with onions and mushrooms cooked in ghee, smothered over a hamburger, homemade mayo and occasionally a sweet potato 'bun'.  Heaven! 

cheddarpie - Welcome!  And that was a great visual of you licking your plate.  :-)  jordanread is right-on with his comments..your body will start to adjust.  Remember that everyone has different experiences and often at different timing.  You have a great attitude for completing the 30 days!  Good luck and post questions to the group if you have any.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1475 on: September 11, 2016, 12:45:14 AM »
mom22boys and swick - thanks for checking in with me :) It's nice to have friendly faces (usernames?) around boards.

I have taken an extra day off and am starting again today: Sunday 11.09

Everything with the operation went well, so that wasn't too tough. But DH was very. very sick during the week, the kids birthday party was just a little exhausting, we're trying to organize the purchase of the next rental and find a renter for the first one, it was my first full week back at work and the baby is teething and none of us have enough sleep. Ok, my complaining is out of the way now ;)

I really noticed that something was affecting my digestion when I went back to the usual food this week. My suspicion is that it was milk causing diarrhea but ,of course, it may also be that I just picked up a bug. The baby is going to be bringing all kinds of stuff home from daycare so I can't cut out that possibility.

I do have another question about nuts, specifically almonds. A few years ago I was vegetarian for about a year, and pretty much vegan for about half of that. During this time I had severe knee pain. Really really awful arthritic type symptoms. These stopped as soon as I went back to meat and I thought it must have been something lacking in the diet causing it. A year or so later I found a jar of almond butter and used it to make some protein balls, which I then ate pretty quickly (as in, in about four days) and the knee pain came back again with a venegence and took a few weeks to go away. So now my suspicion is the almond butter, as I was eating a fair bit of it and almond milk while vegetarian/vegan. I've avoided it since and haven't had this kind of pain again.

So my question is: does anyone have any information about this? I've been googling but most that you get back is that nuts can be inflammatory but almonds aren't and all of the websites seem to reference each other rather than any scientific source or study. I'm really after some solid information about what could be the cause and what I need to be aware of.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1476 on: September 11, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
I personally have a sensitivity to almonds (other nuts are fine).  It didn't give me knee pain, but they make me feel like death and usually vomit.  Very small amounts of almond flour won't do it though.  Almond butter (*very* almondy) definitely does.  You could have a similar sensitivity that manifests itself differently.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #1477 on: September 11, 2016, 08:37:51 PM »
Thanks, jordanread and mom22boys! Happy to be here. :)

I am on day 6 ... feeling like I've gained five pounds. I know there's a normal "my pants are tighter" phase ... this passes, right? I am trying not to eat quite as much steak. At least not every day ...

Everything else is going well -- pretty good energy levels and I eczema seems to be clearing up (my primary motivation for doing this). It tends to come and go in swings anyway so too soon to tell if it's really working, but I am feeling optimistic!

jordanread

« Reply #1478 on: September 12, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »
Thanks, jordanread and mom22boys! Happy to be here. :)

I am on day 6 ... feeling like I've gained five pounds. I know there's a normal "my pants are tighter" phase ... this passes, right? I am trying not to eat quite as much steak. At least not every day ...

Yeah, that should pass (unless you are chronically underweight). You will stabilize soon.

mom22boys and swick - thanks for checking in with me :) It's nice to have friendly faces (usernames?) around boards.

I have taken an extra day off and am starting again today: Sunday 11.09

Everything with the operation went well, so that wasn't too tough. But DH was very. very sick during the week, the kids birthday party was just a little exhausting, we're trying to organize the purchase of the next rental and find a renter for the first one, it was my first full week back at work and the baby is teething and none of us have enough sleep. Ok, my complaining is out of the way now ;)

I really noticed that something was affecting my digestion when I went back to the usual food this week. My suspicion is that it was milk causing diarrhea but ,of course, it may also be that I just picked up a bug. The baby is going to be bringing all kinds of stuff home from daycare so I can't cut out that possibility.

I do have another question about nuts, specifically almonds. A few years ago I was vegetarian for about a year, and pretty much vegan for about half of that. During this time I had severe knee pain. Really really awful arthritic type symptoms. These stopped as soon as I went back to meat and I thought it must have been something lacking in the diet causing it. A year or so later I found a jar of almond butter and used it to make some protein balls, which I then ate pretty quickly (as in, in about four days) and the knee pain came back again with a venegence and took a few weeks to go away. So now my suspicion is the almond butter, as I was eating a fair bit of it and almond milk while vegetarian/vegan. I've avoided it since and haven't had this kind of pain again.

So my question is: does anyone have any information about this? I've been googling but most that you get back is that nuts can be inflammatory but almonds aren't and all of the websites seem to reference each other rather than any scientific source or study. I'm really after some solid information about what could be the cause and what I need to be aware of.

Since there are so many different potential causes of joint pain, and inflammation is a major thing people talk about these days, I don't doubt it's hard to find good info. I did find an article that has a bunch of links to different studies. Here it is. While it's uber general, and glosses over a lot of information, the linked studies are quite interesting. Hope that helps.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1479 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
I personally have a sensitivity to almonds (other nuts are fine).  It didn't give me knee pain, but they make me feel like death and usually vomit.  Very small amounts of almond flour won't do it though.  Almond butter (*very* almondy) definitely does.  You could have a similar sensitivity that manifests itself differently.

Ugh, that sounds horrible - I hope you don't react that strongly to the random almonds in cakes or cookies!
I think I'm going to have to do a study on myself to fiind out. Might be a job for a seperate round of Whole 30.

Since there are so many different potential causes of joint pain, and inflammation is a major thing people talk about these days, I don't doubt it's hard to find good info. I did find an article that has a bunch of links to different studies. Here it is. While it's uber general, and glosses over a lot of information, the linked studies are quite interesting. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link! I've saved it and will come back to check out the studies in the next few days.

In shorter news, day 2 was far more difficult this time than it was 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if it ws diet related though, or just general high stress and an uncommonly warm September (what IS going on with that? It was 30°C here today!).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1480 on: September 13, 2016, 08:23:34 AM »
*Waves!* Hi guys!

Back with an internet connection. Wasn't able to comment but been here in spirit with y'all :)

Wrightstuff - Your results are frickin' awesome!!! I read your post out loud to several family members who are on/have been on/contemplating doing a whole 30. It is FANTASTIC to see some numbers. I didn't really track any medical stuff before I started, I wish I had.

The fact that your doc wants to take you off meds you have been on for 15 years!?! That is amazing!

How is your wife doing? She sounds an awful lot like me with the allergies, sinus issues, flue-like symptoms and everything that comes with it. I thought (for my entire life) that my nose just didn't work correctly I was chronically stuffed up since childhood. Always have a scratchy sore throat without being sick...  I think it was the diary or some combo of the dairy/gluten (with the inflammation)  But I haven't had to take any allergy pills since I stopped eating those foods - and I'm still in the "smell everything!" stage because I can smell things now :)

Oh in regards to finishing your Whole 30 and having a burger - I can't stress enough how valuable it is for a slow re-intro. The problem is if you do too many different foods at once, and you feel like shit, there isn't an easy way to figure out what the cause is. You've done all of this work, rushing the reintro doesn't make much sense, even though it is sooo tempting!

M.Darcy - How's it going? Haven't heard from you! How has it been with your exercising and fruit intake and such?

Cheddarpie - Welcome to the group!! Eventually your body will find it's rhythm. I know starting to eat this way hurts the pocketbook at first! It seems like you are spending money hand over fist. That does get better eventually too. You figure out cheaper meals to make, how to stretch your meat, how to source your ingredients cheaper. You definitely go out for food wayyyy less often!

What I recommend for your first whole 30 is just accept the fact that it's going to cost more, you'll need some new ingredients and staples. You might not be able to wait for things to go on sale. If you are trying to change your diet and optimize everything as far as price, it's too much and can lead to overwhelm and tears.

Jordanread - Awesome wisdom drops, thanks for holding down the fort while I was gone. :)

mom22boys
- Your sweet potato burger sounds delish! We have had an explosion of zucchini, so I have been bbq-ing giant slices with salt, pepper and oil and using that as a burger base and having them open faced. Very tasty!

How are things going with you? What are you doing for food these days?

screwit - It sounds like you have had a TON on your plate! If I was in your shoes, I'd just do the best I can and really focus on self-care and being gentle with yourself. Did you re-start? How is it going for you? We're all her supporting you!

Okay, well the trip was long, emotionally and physically draining. I managed to keep mostly compliant. I had a breakfast bowl at a gluten-free cafe that had a bit of Quinoa in it. I know I have no problem with Quinoa and knew it was the only food I was going to have that day, so I didn't sweat it.

I also made some "muffins" out of totally compliant ingredients. Some would consider this as "sex with your pants on" I look at it as fitting a whole bunch of nutritious foods into an easily to transport package to keep me on track as I've been doing this long enough that I don't have the psychological ties to foods anymore - and that is kinda awesome to realize.

I got home and sauteed a bunch of different types of peppers and onions from a farm stand and a pan mushrooms so those are in the fridge ready to be turned into something healthy today. I am thinking a nice fritatta.

Hope everyone has a fantastic, healthy day!

rightstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1481 on: September 15, 2016, 12:33:42 PM »
Day 31!!!!!

What a journey!  I applaud everyone who has gone through it and those who are in the initial days.  It wasn't always easy or necessarily fun, but the results speak for themselves.  I've lost 13 pounds, DW has lost 5 pounds.  As I've said earlier, my doctor took me off of my cholesterol meds that I have been on for 15 years.  DW continues to see a big reduction in her allergy symptoms, I'm happy she isn't suffering so much and the mustachian in me is happy to see our kleenex expense down quite a bit.  We both are sleeping better and have more energy to do things together.

We find ourselves a bit afraid now.  We both want to expand our meal possibilities, just so many things to choose from.  Thanks for the pro-bacon cheeseburger remarks, I'm totally good leaving off the bun and the zucchini slice alternative is high on the possibilities to try.  The local pizza joint is screaming our names, talk about a siren song!

DW plans to only add black beans and rice back, she is definitely gluton intolerant.  My plan is to avoid too big of a binge spree and keep the doctor at bay.

I think this is a great group, thanks for all of the great ideas and support!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1482 on: September 15, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
Day 31!!!!!
WAHOO!!! Way to go wrightstuff and Mrs. wrightstuff!!

I'll be interested to hear how your reintro goes. Also, your wife may want to try dairy (even if she thinks it is a suspect in her allergies) because having that negative reaction can be a very important part of the process, it steals your resolve when the Siren sings - just knowing HOW it affects your body.  Trying gluten may not be worth it if she knows she is sensitive. It knocked me on my ass for a couple of days during my reintro.

I think they key is slowly reintroducing foods, do it one at a time and just really pay attention to how it affects your body. For most things, you'll know pretty quick. Good luck and hope you stick around to share what life after whole 30 is like for you guys!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1483 on: September 16, 2016, 02:32:37 AM »
Great work wrightsuff!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1484 on: September 16, 2016, 09:19:37 AM »
Hioh!
It's me again. :P I keep cycling in and out of here.
It's my Day 2 of a looseygoosey modified Whole30 I'm terming (stolen from Norabird) Baby30.
The game is to avoid extraneous sugars, and basically revert to a Whole30 "inspired" lifestyle. Again. This time I'm hopeful it will stick. :)
*Waves*
Anywhooo just popping in to say hi. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1485 on: September 19, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »
Hi Orvell,  *waves*

How is everyone doing?

Going well here, on day, umm...17. Just trying to get as many fresh veggies and salads in before our Canadian winter sets in. Although also enjoying the squashes and root veggies that come with the change in weather too!

I've been spending so much time processing fruit and veg that meals have been pretty standard. Salad, protein, extra veg. I did make a crockpot chai concentrate leaving out the honey and adding some Chaga and Astragalus. Been having that with a bit of frothed almond milk as my afternoon treat.

I guess the exciting thing about the weather changing is we can make soup again! Sooo excited! I have discovered that just a little bit of coconut milk/cream in soups doesn't change the taste but gives it that nice "creamy" taste and mouth feel.

Anyone have any favorite whole 30 (or adaptable) Soup recipes?

jordanread

« Reply #1486 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
Hi Orvell,  *waves*

How is everyone doing?

Going well here, on day, umm...17. Just trying to get as many fresh veggies and salads in before our Canadian winter sets in. Although also enjoying the squashes and root veggies that come with the change in weather too!

I've been spending so much time processing fruit and veg that meals have been pretty standard. Salad, protein, extra veg. I did make a crockpot chai concentrate leaving out the honey and adding some Chaga and Astragalus. Been having that with a bit of frothed almond milk as my afternoon treat.

I guess the exciting thing about the weather changing is we can make soup again! Sooo excited! I have discovered that just a little bit of coconut milk/cream in soups doesn't change the taste but gives it that nice "creamy" taste and mouth feel.

Anyone have any favorite whole 30 (or adaptable) Soup recipes?

I do a fully compliant pumpkin chili. It's amazing. I'll try to find the recipe. Green Chili is also a good one.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1487 on: September 19, 2016, 11:32:21 AM »
Oh I want the pumpkin chilli recipe!

I spent half the day yesterday prepping the weeks food. I've started a challenge with myself that if I turn the oven on I should have at least 2 different things in it. So while I was cooking a baked chicken and tomato dish, I was roasting carrots and sweet potatos for salads. While I had lasagne in (with zucchini not pasta) I was baking a spaghetti squash and some salmon. And while the salmon pie was on, I baked sweet potato rosti for breakfast and some baby potatoes.

I actually really love this kind of Sunday. I'm in creative overload on what to cook and project management overload on how many things are going simultaneously on the stove,  in the oven or being peeled,  chopped or otherwise prepped.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1488 on: September 19, 2016, 11:42:19 AM »
Way to go Scewit! Future Screwit is going to be totally stoked that you did so much meal prep :) It all sounds so tasty as well!

jordanread

« Reply #1489 on: September 19, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »

Screwit, I just confirmed with the better half that we pulled it out of a cook book I have. It is freaking delicious, and I ate it while I did my super short Whole30. It was amazing. I'm trying to find an online recipe, but if I can't, are you cool with scans of a book attached to a post?

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1490 on: September 19, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »
Are you guys able to eat sweet potatoes and such without gaining weight?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1491 on: September 19, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »

I've been eating them, root crops as well without gaining weight. I think most of us started with more weight to lose, and at the beginning, compared to the SAD or what people normally eat, it's not a huge concern. I'm probably getting to the point now where I will have to start watching it more closely. 

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1492 on: September 19, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

I've been eating them, root crops as well without gaining weight. I think most of us started with more weight to lose, and at the beginning, compared to the SAD or what people normally eat, it's not a huge concern. I'm probably getting to the point now where I will have to start watching it more closely.

I find that if I eat sweet potatoes, yams, regular potatoes, etc... my weight loss stalls completely (I'm trying to lose weight) or I gain weight if I'm not working out.  In truth, I overeat them too, especially the sweet potatoes.  So I've been just avoiding them in general.  This past week I did have some potatoes and rice because I had them in the house and I was having a really rough week and just didn't the have the energy to go shopping and for extra food prep.  I was still working out, although a bit less, and still lost some weight. 

When the weather gets colder the sweet potatoes will be really tempting though.

Is anyone interested in doing a low-carb version of this?  That's kinda where I'm at. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1493 on: September 19, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »

Is anyone interested in doing a low-carb version of this?  That's kinda where I'm at.

Quite a few people in this thread have settled o a whole30/keto hybrid that seems to work well for them. If you have no problems with dairy, going full keto would be an option too.

I've just been working with limiting my carb intake across the board and choosing the carbs I eat very intentionally, and being careful to actually measure out my portions and put the rest away. The putting the rest away is key. If I leave a pan of roasted root veggies out on the stove, by the time I get around to putting them away, there is a pretty good dent in them. I think we have a root loving gnome, my husband won't admit to anything :)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1494 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:19 PM »

If you have no problems with dairy, going full keto would be an option too.

I do have problems with dairy, actually.  So I have to avoid it.  The only reason I'm not going the full keto route is that it sends my brain into OCD territory and I don't like it.  That's also the reason I chucked the scale.  Instead I'm working on making slow and steady changes that help me reach my goals.  So far that has helped the most.

I didn't know that some people here are doing keto/Whole30.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  Though I might not check in that often as I don't want to be tempted by pumpkin chili and roasted sweet potatoes.  :)  Too yummy!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:09:07 PM by M.Darcy »

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #1495 on: September 19, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »

Screwit, I just confirmed with the better half that we pulled it out of a cook book I have. It is freaking delicious, and I ate it while I did my super short Whole30. It was amazing. I'm trying to find an online recipe, but if I can't, are you cool with scans of a book attached to a post?

Sure!

I don't know yet - I still haven't finished a single Whole 30 and have no idea what's going on with my weight. I have a lot of weight to lose but the main reason I'm here is that my blood sugar seemed to be going all over the place and I needed to find a way to get that under control. Weight loss is not the driving factor at all right now for me.

If this works well for me (and it is so far, but I haven't yet hit again the 10 day point where I failed last time!) then I'll look at getting stricter for weight loss. But for now I'm just trying to settle my (other) health issues and move myself towards a new long term nutrition regime.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1496 on: September 20, 2016, 01:02:26 AM »
Cross posting here to save time .. sooo tired! haha

I've decided to do another Whole30 ... successfully lost 48 pounds last year on Whole30 (took a full 12 months) and have been stumbling around the same 5-8 lbs up/down/up/down since the spring. I have about another 30 to get back to a healthy weight for me and this is truly the only thing that has ever worked for me. Day 1 completed :-)

P.S. This article helped me realize WHY Whole30 works for me! 

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/the-100-per-cent-rule-the-simple-advice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html

Edited to clarify that my weight loss was from doing successive Whole 30'd and a tiny bit of Primal at the very beginning.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:47:12 PM by 1967mama »

jordanread

« Reply #1497 on: September 20, 2016, 07:59:40 AM »

Sure!

All right. PDF attached to this post. This is actually from the Primal Cravings book.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:25:36 AM by jordanread »

jordanread

« Reply #1498 on: September 20, 2016, 08:01:44 AM »
And of course now that I realized where it came from, I magically used the words to find an online one too. I didn't even realize the authors of that cook book had a site. Enjoy (I usually have homemade tomato paste. I think that's the only spot where one might have issues).

http://www.health-bent.com/soups/paleo-pumpkin-chili

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1499 on: September 20, 2016, 08:10:50 AM »
How are you doing, screwit? What day are you on, how have you been doing with this new round?

Welcome back 1967mamma! THANK YOU!!! for sharing that post, it's brilliant. It put into words something I've been trying to put my finger on. I was trying to figure out why it seems like people are making great progress in the weight loss thread but seem to be really, really struggling on the day to day.

I know once I took the decision making process out of it in regards to gluten things just got so much easier. I'm mostly there with sugar, I'd say I'm 99.5 % there because I don't worry about trace amounts, or if someone makes a naturally sweetened dessert especially for me, I might have a taste. But it's that "decision fatigue" that you don't have to engage in that really makes the difference.

It seems there are people who have found systems of counting calories and having treats within that and it works for them. That would stress me out wayyy too much. I tried that way and failed, and with each failure, you pile on the guilt and it erodes your confidence. Not to mention your brain doesn't think you are actually serious, it just wants you to feel pleasure and happiness - cue the sugar/chocolate/ice cream.

I do like how the 100% applies to other areas, I hadn't thought of it in that context so going to do some pondering it comes at a time in my life when I need it!

jordanread: Thanks for the recipe, will have to try it out very soon!

Hope everyone is having a great day!